Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default good fats question, please

I read on another 3fc thread that we need good fats to help our hair stay in good condition.

can anyone tell me what good fats are, and how I can incorporate them into my low-calorie meals?

Ta.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat a low fat diet but I do eat 'good fats' in moderation. Good fats include things like nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #3  
returning to myself

Monounsaturated fats lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Nuts including peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola and olive oil are high in MUFAs. MUFAs have also been found to help in weight loss, particularly body fat.

Polyunsaturated fats also lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Seafood like salmon and fish oil, as well as corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oils are high in polyunsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids belong to this group.

"bad" fats

Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs and seafood. Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats such as coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil.

Trans fats are invented as scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed. Trans fatty acids are found in many commercially packaged foods, commercially fried food such as French Fries from some fast food chains, other packaged snacks such as microwaved popcorn as well as in vegetable shortening and hard stick margarine.

So, eat lean cuts of meat, fatty fish such as salmon, use small amts of olive oil and canola oil in food preparation, and snack or dress foods up with small amts of nuts, seeds, avocados. Avoid fatty processed foods and margarines.

Remember, even "good" fats are high in calories so use responsibly.
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #4  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Great post, ImInHere -- thank you for the information!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Personally, I just try to add in a serving of nuts and/or fish several times a week. Olive oil is good, too, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to use it (maybe just in place of the regular oils you would use), because all though it is good fat, it's also mostly fat.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

What I normally do is, if I dont plan on having a high fat lunch or supper, I have almonds as my snack twice a day, or as part of the snack. I eat 10 almonds one time, then 10 almonds the next. If my supper is going to contain olive oil or something fattier, I wont have any almonds that day. But its soooo hard to only have a few nuts, they are so good, but the fat grams and calories add up quickly!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
But its soooo hard to only have a few nuts, they are so good, but the fat grams and calories add up quickly!
Yeah, I can't do nuts. They're yummy. They've got good fat. But too many calories and I have a hard time just stopping. So any good is negated by the high calories I'm consuming. So yeah, I can't do nuts. Certainly not for a snack. I do occasionally use them chopped or slivered in a salad.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #8  
returning to myself

I never buy nuts out of the shell. when I want nuts I take 2 or three from the bowl and crack them open to eat them. takes much longer that way. also, they taste better.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #9  
returning to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
Great post, ImInHere -- thank you for the information!

my pleasure!