100 lb. Club - wow what a work out ..

View Full Version : wow what a work out ..

haleysmommy5402
02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
so someone just mentioned to me on another thread about the Tabata exercise so i found this video on youtube and it works AWESOME :carrot: (even though i think im stuck in the sitting position my legs are like jell-oooo) .. lol .. just wanted to share it if anyones interested .. i liked it because she timed it for you!! ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEeHSdlIYU&feature=related

choirgirlhotel
02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
whenever i get the urge to do Tabata squats, I seriously cannot walk for 3 days afterwards (nor sit on the toilet without screaming! lol).

~CGH~

haleysmommy5402
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
if they work i think ill having to find the courage to do them every other day .. lol im scared to get out of my seat .. lol i know what im in for

Gretchy
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow! I just gave that a try, and my thighs ache now!

My dog was sitting in front of me staring at me like I'm a lunatic. (I think he may be right ;) )

gumboot
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I've never heard of a tabata. I you tubed it and wow....interesting. I think I will give it a shot! Thanks for the 411

iminhere
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
you can apply the Tabata method to ANY exercise of your choosing. I use an elliptical. you can even do a circuit with it.

it's just a method...(5 min warm up) 8 reps of 20 secs hard work, 10 secs rest, (5 min cool down).

CeCeLee
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Um, ouch? That was the hardest exercise I've had. But I did it. I didn't follow the youtube girl's video though. I did a little research and they say that for the best results, follow the 20 seconds of squats and 10 seconds of rest for 4 minutes. I couldn't imagine dragging it out another minute.

And I made the mistake of sitting down and then getting back up...just to sit down again. And may I say? It was excruicated!!!! :(

TraceyElaine
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I think I've heard about this type of interval training before. The premis (I think) is that you burn more calories when your heart rate is climbing. So if you let it rest and then get it back up again with each rep you are burning more calories than if you keep your heart at the same pace. At least thats what I heard.

CeCeLee
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I wanted to add, if you have asthma, have your inhaler around if you decide to do this exercise. Even if you're not having an attack, it'll help you breathe better.
It's been about 45 minutes and I still sound like I'm wheezing. Whew.

CeCeLee
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry, one more thing. I found this video from fit tv and it shows alternate ways of doing the tabata method.

Also, if you scroll down into the comments, there's someone who has a link to a tabata clock that makes noises when the 20 seconds are up. That way you don't have to look at a clock :).

http://www.madefittv.com/2009/01/tabata-training-method-ep-32-made-fit-tv/

SamanthaJubilee
02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
holy wow! that was funny to watch with the volume turned off. I will have to give that one a try when I get home.

iminhere
02-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry, one more thing. I found this video from fit tv and it shows alternate ways of doing the tabata method.

Also, if you scroll down into the comments, there's someone who has a link to a tabata clock that makes noises when the 20 seconds are up. That way you don't have to look at a clock :).

http://www.madefittv.com/2009/01/tabata-training-method-ep-32-made-fit-tv/

how do you find it again after you download? I downloaded, but when I closed it it was gone....all that opened up in my bookmark was the homepage.

CeCeLee
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can save it instead of just openning it. I would just save it to my desktop (something I'm going to do later when I'm home) and that way it's easy access.

Gretchy
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I couldn't get that one to work, but here's a link to one (http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/) that I really love. Don't have to download anything, and you can change the numbers if you want to modify it from 8 reps of 20 and 10 to 10 reps of 15 and 15.

Redflame
02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
wow, that actually looks fun.....shhhhhhh don't tell anyone I said that!:^:

choirgirlhotel
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
wow, that actually looks fun.....shhhhhhh don't tell anyone I said that!:^:

Trust me, it's not. ha ha ha.

gumboot
02-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh my goodness! I am soooooo sore! lol.....I learned that it is so much harder than it looks. I alternated lunges with upper body weights and I think it is entirely possible that I may never recover lol :)

Gretchy
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree - two days later and my legs are still aching. Working at the gym for an hour every day doesn't hurt me like that 5 minute workout did. WOW!

haleysmommy5402
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
its the second day since i did it also and i am still hurting, it hurts worse today then yesterday i think .. it kills me to go up and down stairs last night i took my kids idea and was sitting on my butt sliding down the stairs .. lol

Gretchy
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
LOL

The hardest part for me is toilet training. . . (I'm a toddler teacher.) We have this little stool in front of the toilet that we sit on while holding the toddlers over the toilet. It just felt like my butt had forever to go before it reached the stool and my legs just couldn't handle it. I almost fell over yesterday trying to do it!

haleysmommy5402
02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
LOL

The hardest part for me is toilet training. . . (I'm a toddler teacher.) We have this little stool in front of the toilet that we sit on while holding the toddlers over the toilet. It just felt like my butt had forever to go before it reached the stool and my legs just couldn't handle it. I almost fell over yesterday trying to do it!

LOL .. sorry i really dont mean to laugh at you .. but i know how it feels to just try and sit on the toilet .. i couldn't imagine sitting on a lil tiny stool .. all this pain must still be working on something though .. i wish today was weigh in day i would be in the 270s .. lol everything is such a struggle w/ these sore legs im working harder just to climb up and down the stairs .. clean the house .. everything .. hope your pain goes away real soon :)

Redflame
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow, we (kids and I) put it on last night (after I got home from work), what a work out! I was exhausted!

Can't wait to actually do it instead of just watching it like I did last night ;)

CeCeLee
02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I can now understand why someone wouldn't be able to walk after doing this workout. I am in PAIN!
I hope this goes away....

mandalinn82
02-13-2009, 12:51 AM
During 30DS, Jillian says something to the effect of "I want you gargling your heart at the end of this 2 minutes of cardio". After doing the Tabata, I have experienced EXACTLY what she is talking about.

I did two sets (one in the morning, one at night). Do you think I'll be able to walk tomorrow?

iminhere
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Wow, we (kids and I) put it on last night (after I got home from work), what a work out! I was exhausted!

Can't wait to actually do it instead of just watching it like I did last night ;)

:lol:

Eves
02-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I did two sets (one in the morning, one at night). Do you think I'll be able to walk tomorrow?

Nope. My legs would be like Jello.

I saw this video of people doing Tabata squats, but during the 10s rest they would hold the squat down. I tried it and fell over at set number 5. My butt didn't work right after that for about two days!

wchs2007
02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I just can not do most of these moves. Push ups at my weight are just not going to happen( even the easy ones). Jump in jacks.. I feel like I am going to hurt myself. I am just doing what I can..Maybe I will get better..

Gretchy
02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
From what I gather you can do it with pretty much any exercise. Try it with situps? I did that one the other day (my legs were too sore from the squat tabata lol) and my abs are still sore from it. Ooof!

Ilene
02-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh, I'm really afraid for tomorrow now :lol: after reading all your comments!! I did the Tabatas tonight without weights, then proceeded to do my usual leg workout I definitely wasn't as strong as I usually am during my workouts and I sweated profusely through all of the workout too, so my heart rate was higher than usual that's for sure... Can't wait till tomorrow :devil:

iminhere
02-19-2009, 01:26 AM
you can do Tabata with anything that involves large muscle groups. I do it on the elliptical...you can do it on an exercise bike...while jogging....with a stepper..

you can do it in a house...you can do it with a mouse..

you can do it in a box...you can do it with a fox..

you can do it here or there...you can do it anywhere!

haleysmommy5402
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
lol Laura you could be the next Dr Suess .. after the first session and hurting for about a week .. its become so much easier i do them every other day .. i love the clock i just turn it on on my computer and it times it for me :) .. tonight i tried it w/ jumping jacks .. lol after round 4 i could no longer jump so i switched to squats .. once it gets a lil nicer out i planned to try it w/ running and speed walking :) heres the link for the clock if anyone is interested http://tabata.sperker.de/

lalique
02-19-2009, 04:46 AM
I was going to give it a try, until a read everyone else's replies here...Now I'm not so sure lol...

ok ok, I'll try it anyway... :gulp:

Daimere
02-19-2009, 07:08 AM
I tried it right before I went to bed last night and I was so sore I couldn't walk. I can't wait to try it again. I think I will try it tomorrow with running or push ups.

Ilene
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I think ladies we have created a monster :lol: .....

Daimere
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I figure I can do 4 killer minutes till I start doing longer more moderate sessions. Today I may try running or pushups.

mandalinn82
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
My plan is to do one today with sumo squat jacks. You know what else might work? Jump lunges with an overhead press...hmmm..

Daimere
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I just tried push ups. It didn't raise my heart much but it hurt to pick up this 6 oz glass of water after. And it is hurting my chest to type.

mandalinn82
02-19-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, I just did a jump lunge tabata and I finally got truly fall-over-rubber-legged. And my heart rate went to 178!

FB
02-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I downloaded the music with cues to try at the gym tomorrow with my iPod. This is gonna be an exciting time in the weight room! They already think I'm crazy enough.

Ilene
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I showed this to a friend at the gym tonight and OMG my quads are sore !!!

Bear
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM
I tried this tonight! I did jump rope to warm up and then the squats with 5 pound weights like in that video. It feels good! I thought it would hurt a lot more but it was actually not that hard. I think I've gained a lot of strength in my legs or something haha. I'm probably going to have to make this harder somehow to reap the real benefits of tabata style workouts, but I know I will feel this in the morning, as I'm already feeling it in the top part of my thighs. I love that feeling.

mandalinn82
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Bear - I jump at the top (taking "Explosive" to whole new levels). A jump lunge was harder than the squat/thrust, to me.

Bear
02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Are the jump lunges you are referring to like this guy is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLTDUFjbXA

That looks like quite a workout haha! I'll have to try that! Jumping at the top of the squats would add a degree of difficulty too. Thank you for the ideas! I've read you're supposed to be dying at the end of these so I really wanna do them right, cause tonight wasn't that bad.

mandalinn82
02-20-2009, 02:01 AM
That is, in fact, a jump lunge. I can't do jump lunges for a whole tabata. I do squat/thrusts for one set of 20 sec, then jump lunges, and alternate between the two.

Daimere
02-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Day three update on my tabatas: My top of my thighs are incredibly sore. It hurts to go potty. But today I woke up and my sides are screaming from the pushups. I do another legs day today.

midwife
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Fascinating......

Hmmmmm.....:devil: Cool stuff!

Goddess Jessica
02-22-2009, 02:22 AM
FB- Where did you download music and cues?

FB
02-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Heya Jessica -

I found it on the link Gretchy provided...
http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/

If you scroll down there are download options. The music? It's okay I guess, but of little concern when vomit is a threat! I used it last night with thrusters and it really revved my heart rate, I honestly was past all music in a world of misery. :lol: However, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, the tabatas - it's over so quick. It was a great start to my routine.

Goddess Jessica
02-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Bowdoin College had a bunch of free video podcasts on itunes for different types of tabatas... it looks like they were made for their field hockey team but I thought they were neat.

WildThings
02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Holy Moly...I used this to run the steps at work on my lunch...I've been walking the steps lately, but tried actually running for the 15 seconds, then resting for 15 minutes...oh the pain in tops of my thighs. I loved the workout though...despite the pain and soreness in my legs right now, I was pumped up the rest of the afternoon...once I caught my breath and cooled back down.

butterflygurl
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Lol I did that workout and became Very sore! I did it 2 days ago and it still hurts to sit and walk! :)

Ilene
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Tonight I did it again but in the middle of my leg workout because last time I lost so much strength, OH MAN, the second part of my workout I was sore ... The after the workout I did it on the bike, that was pretty cool, I could've gone longer but I ran out of time...

beachgal
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I did three sets of 8 tabatas this weekend. On Saturday, I did the first two as walking lunges and the final 6 as squats like the video with 3lb weights. On Sunday, I did one set all with abs (alternating toe touches while lying down with an oblique exercise) and another set on the recumbent bike, pedaling really fast during the 20 secs., and pedaling as slow as I could during the 10sec. rest periods.

My glutes have been screaming, but DH massaged them yesterday and I think that helped. :lol: I feel it when sitting down and climbing stairs, but I can do both without my legs feeling rubbery, so maybe it wasn't hard enough of a workout? I may need to do more lunges...though I thought I'd die after doing the two sets! ;)

Do you think it works as well if you don't totally rest during the 10 secs? On the bike I couldn't stop pedaling or it would die--then it'd be hard to get going on the next set. Our ellipticals work the same way. What do you think?

CeCeLee, thanks for the tip about asthma! I definitely needed my inhaler on Saturday--used it just before starting and then again partway through--but I didn't bring it on Sunday and didn't really feel like I needed it. :shrug:

Amanda, do you mean that you jump at the top of the squat thrust (a.k.a. during the "thrust" portion), or were you just talking bout jumping during your lunges?