South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #1  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Health Benefits of Nuts

A tip from RealAge.com I thought was worth passing on:

Which Is Better: Nuts or Olive Oil?

Let’s pretend for a moment that you have two options for improving your health: Eat more nuts or eat more olive oil. Which should you choose?

Believe it or not, nuts could have a slight edge, especially if you’re concerned about metabolic syndrome, a combo of health conditions that raises heart disease risk.

Nuts for Your Health
In a 1-year study, people who ate a Mediterranean-style diet and added an extra ounce of nuts (roughly a small handful) had a lower incidence of metabolic syndrome compared with the people who ate the same diet but instead added 4 to 5 ounces more of olive oil every day. Find out about the cluster of risk factors that makes up metabolic syndrome -- and if you might have them.

The Whole Truth
Why the difference? Here’s one simple theory: Olive oil is a fat extracted from olives, but nuts are a whole food with more good-for-you stuff in them, including fiber, protein, and minerals. Both olive oil and nuts can -- and should -- have a place in a healthy diet. In the study, both seemed to help tamp down high triglycerides and abdominal fat better than a low-fat diet did. But the nut eaters also experienced better blood pressure, which is one reason their metabolic syndrome numbers were better. Go nuts!

Last edited by murphmitch; 02-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I read this article also, I have added almonds to my daily routine.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Makes sense. Thanks for posting this.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/161.5/125

Height: 5'2"

I always add an ounce of almond slivers, chopped walnuts or peanuts to stirfries or curries. I love the crunchy texture and savory flavor nuts add to dishes.
redflatshoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #5  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

an ounce of nuts would only be like 165 cal 14g fat, 4 oz of olive oil would be about a 1000 calories and over a hundred grams of fat??? maybe we have the wrong measurments posted here? I totally see the "whole food" point but wanted to clear up the people who added that much oil would be gaining mucho weight! lol
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote