South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Flourless Bread!!!!

I was going to post this in the bread thread, but it's closed!

I've been enjoying BLTs every morning, or bread with eggs... and not feeling guilty!

Ezekiel breads are made from sprouting grains, not flour, and contain a LOW GI! HIGH in Fiber! and not bad tasting either.

http://www.foodforlife.com/
Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products
Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products are:

Flourless,
Organic,
Complete Protein,
and Sprouted Whole Grain
We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.

Ezekiel 4:9® Bread, made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat. Try it served warm to release its exceptionally rich nutty flavor.

This Biblical Bread is Truly the Staff of Life
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

That's all I eat for bread any more. Love the English muffins too!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I've been wondering why, if you take sprouted grains and beans and grind them up to make bread, that is "flourless." I don't get it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

Good question.

Their website says: How can Food For Life make bread without flour?

We start with certified organically grown whole grains. After we sprout them, they are made into small batches of dough and slowly baked into bread.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #5  

I don't see any answer in that quote. I think they're skirting it themselves. I mean, I have a loaf of Ezekiel bread. It is not made with intact sprouted grains and beans.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Julie, what they do is allow the grains to sprout, then mush them into a paste (not grind them into a flour), which is mixed with other ingredients to make the products. The idea, I think, is that if the sprout (plant) grows from the grain (seed) before you make it into food, the plant has the chance to use (process) some of the sugars in the seed, which means you don't have to. This leads to a lower GI and also to making the products easier to digest, according to proponents.

This article might clear it up: http://archive.dailytidings.com/2008...bp_sprouts.php

Though these breads are delicious and SBD-safe for phases 2 and 3, they still count as starches. However, the Ezekiel brand uses lentils as one of the grains, which doesn't count as a starch. It also adds a lot of protein to the bread. So you may find that if regular whole-wheat breads give you cravings, it's worth trying the Ezekiel products. They may not bother you.

Ezekiel products are also comforting, to me, because I know I can eat pretty much anything they make without worrying about added ingredients that aren't SBD-safe. I absolutely love their cereal (it's like grape nuts and is super-yummy on yogurt).
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Thanks for the insight Laurie! I was wondering how they could do that too and you cleared it right up for me!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #8  

Thanks Laurie. I saw many recipes online for "Ezekiel" bread, and they all called for grinding. Obviously, online recipes are not necessarily the same as the brand name product, but the branded website didn't make it clear either. At least, I couldn't find it. I understood the part about why they sprout, just not about the "flourless."

Last edited by JulieJ08; 02-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

I didn't realize I needed to keep these products in the fridge/freezer at first and had to throw out a loaf after it spoiled. No preservatives in it. Now I just take out my daily servings from the freezer and thaw. This bread is great toasted but rather crunchy, as I broke a tooth on it last year!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #10  
Determined to lose!

Murph, I keep mine in the freezer,... never thought to take it out the night before to the fridge (the two slices I need)... for a regular sandwich as opposed to the daily BLT I have!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote