South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #1  

Default SB bars?

Hi again. I bought a box of the mocha southbeach bars and wondered where they fit in in my day. Will they replace one of my starches, or can I have both? Are they a good or bad idea? I can't eat eggs very often because they bother my stomach, so I was hoping to have a bar for breakfast once in a while. What do you think?
Thanks...
tinadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I can't eat those bars without having cravings. Too many processed ingredients in them. Not really true to the SB philosophy of healthy, unprocessed foods. I'm not sure of the calories in them, so I don't know what the grain equivalent is, but you could check the label for carb grams. A serving of grain usually has about 20-30 gms of carbs. I think most of the SB bars are higher in protein though so the carb count may be a little lower.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm not sure what you would count it as. I don't use them much because if I keep them around I am tempted to eat them all. Plus, I don't think you are getting the most bang for your nutritional buck. I like to make the Nessa bars that are posted in the Phase 2 breakfast recipes for breakfast. I do get them sometimes when I'm traveling because they're easy to carry and I'll only buy a couple so I'm not tempted to binge on them. You'll just have to experiment and see how they affect you.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

i bought a box, and ate the whole thing in one day, so i didn't buy any more . definately should not be used as a meal replacement, since there isn't enough protein, and no veggies. I would save them for a once in a while snack, or an emergency.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #5  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I think they are best for just as others have said, emergencies... My new emergency stash is now oatmeal though! if I am in a pinch I can find some water somewhere and heat them right up!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/189/155

Height: 5'6"

My experience has been different from some of the other people here, so I'll share my experience! I am actually a pretty big fan of the Cinnamon Raisin bars. I agree that they're good for emergencies (I tend to always have one in my purse, and they were good for road trips), but I also tend to have one a day at the end of the workday. It helps take the edge off of my hunger when I get home, and also I find it's filling but not super-heavy, which is good for those days I head to the gym after work. I find as long as I eat them late in the day, then the cravings aren't as bad (something that I find to be true with me regarding any type of grain).

I do try to count it as a grain. I am a real sweets person, and so it's a treat for me to have it at the end of the day - it also helps me on days like today, when there is cake in the office! It's easier for me to pass the cake up if I know I have one of those bars in my desk.

It might be something to try over a couple of days to see how you react to it. For example, I know a lot of people on here eat oatmeal for breakfast, but whenever I try that, I just crave all day long. I think everyone's body is different and as long as you listen to how yours responds to this, then you'll be fine!
Jessers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #7  

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will keep them around for a treat with coffee or tea once in a while. I still haven't tried one, am a little nervous.
Thanks again....
tinadago is offline   Reply With Quote