Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 - South Beach Muffins

View Full Version : South Beach Muffins

hmacneil6
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Honest to goodness bread-like muffins. I found these on Recipezaar and had one for breakfast this morning. REALLY GOOD!!! Quick and simple! A great change of pace if you're tired of eggs.

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
* 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
Directions

1.Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray (or use a muffin liner).
2. Mix the egg and splenda until well combined (I use a fork), add the yogurt and blend well.
3. Mix in the ground flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined.
4. Pour in ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).
5. These taste best served hot.

Serving: 1

I added some chopped pecans and poured some FF half & half around the base but it really wasn't necessary. It was really good!!!
ENJOY!

laughing87
03-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Just stumbled upon these - this is awesome, I would actually next time split the batter, put 1/2 each in a muffin cup inside a bowl and make myself some snack muffins :-) But with a little extra splenda and pumpkin pie spice on top, this was a nice change from scrambled eggs and "fake" french toast eggs.

Thanks for keeping SB interesting! ;)

KO
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been making them with 1/4 cup Flax and soem butter flavored cooking spray
I'll have to try the Yogurt!
This morning I had savory with 2 tbsp of Parmesan soo good and keeps me full for hours
Of course DH bought Jumbo Eggs so it was huge but still not bad calorie wise

sarahyu
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I thought of this morning but couldn't remember the exact recipe so sort of muddled this together:

2 T ground flax seeds
2 T cinnamon
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/4 C light ricotta cheese
2 blue packets sweetner
beat it all up and microwave for 2 minutes
top with a little light butter

Wasn't too bad. Probably used up my ricotta serving for the day, so no after dinner ricotta dessert thingy for me.

Sarah in MD

KO
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey Guys I now make these 6 at a time!
3/4 cup Flax
3-4 eggs
1 tbsp Baking Powder
Fat of your choosing

I have a 6 "cup" silicone muffin tin
Spray it with cooking spray and pop it in the micro for 3 minutes
Flavor Variations
Sweet
Cinamon nutmeg and Ginger & 3 Pkts Splenda Butter Cookign spray Sprayed into batter With 1 T of SF Strawberry Jam in each
Savory (veggie)
Sautee Frozen Spinach and Onion together with the seasoning of your choice add seasoning to muffin along with 1 T of PArm cheese
Savory Meat
(I'm not sure how Ph 1 friendly this is you could use whatever meat you'd like)
1 T dried Minced Onion 1 T Parmesan 5 Turkey Breakfast Links (would be Killer with Morningstar Sausage patties) Steak seasoning to taste

I'm ahving the meat variation this week and it reminds me of Stuffing!!
Each serving has 2 tbsp flax and 1/2 ish egg
So the baseline is 90-100 calories and 6 grams of protein

sophie
10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I made the original recipe but instead of making muffins, I microwaved them in a bowl (actually a french onion type) put some apple butter and almond milk on it and it was delicious and so filling.
take care
Sophie

CatMat
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Wow! I just tried the basic recipe, dropped the flax to 2 TBS, and added 1 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder. I need to play with the sugar substitute amount a bit, but I felt like I was eating chocolate cake!

srego909
04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi, I cooked these like pancakes & they r really good & quick to make. Had SF syrup....yummm:)

FurnaceOfAchievement
06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
This is awesome!!! I've tried it once with the original recipe and it was so bready-delightful I was giddy all evening. Tonight I tried it with the cocoa powder and I threw in some raspberries! Delicious though texturally it came out a little funky.

noexcuses125
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Just started P1 and these sound delicious. Are they OK for Phase!? I'm still getting used to the food lists.

FurnaceOfAchievement
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, but limit it to one muffin a day, as I understand this is the maximum amount of flaxseed meal you can have per day on phase 1.

hpnodat
08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I wonder how these would taste I replaced the yogurt with peanut butter....

I wonder if put small spoonfuls of this on parchment paper if it would come out like peanut butter cookies....

I'm going to try it and tell you all how it goes.

CyndiM
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I just made a savory version with some grated parm and basil to go with bean soup. These always seem to work :)

hpnodat
08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Mmm sounds yummy. I made the peanut butter cookies, they were ok but I think more peanut butter would have made them much better. I really like the cookie method better than the muffin method. It made about 9, 2 inch cookies. I think tomorrow I might try chocolate peanut butter cookies. I would really like to find a way to cut the bitterness of the flax though.

momtotwinzplus1
09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
I wonder if you could throw in some almond meal for more "flour" texture???

momtotwinzplus1
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Yum! Thank you I am having one right now...I think I will make two smaller ones next time since it puffed up and over my ramekin...or maybe mini muffins for a quick snack...

Honest to goodness bread-like muffins. I found these on Recipezaar and had one for breakfast this morning. REALLY GOOD!!! Quick and simple! A great change of pace if you're tired of eggs.

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
* 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
Directions

1.Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray (or use a muffin liner).
2. Mix the egg and splenda until well combined (I use a fork), add the yogurt and blend well.
3. Mix in the ground flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined.
4. Pour in ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).
5. These taste best served hot.

Serving: 1

I added some chopped pecans and poured some FF half & half around the base but it really wasn't necessary. It was really good!!!
ENJOY!

Natasha1534
10-31-2011, 05:33 AM
I made these tonight but w/ some changes. I only have greek yogurt in my fridge, so I used it. And I wanted a pumpkin spice muffin so I used pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon. I've never had flaxseed before so this was all new for me. It wasn't "bad" per se, but it wasn't what I was hoping it would be. It wasn't as sweet as I wanted it. I'll try it again w/ some more seasoning and splenda.

Also, I have a large ramikin and it still overflowed (it was kinda cool looking, though, LOL). I have to admit, though, that seeing the mixture transform to a muffin in 90 seconds is pretty awesome. The things I've learned on southbeach!!!

Natasha1534
11-03-2011, 01:14 AM
So I just tried these again but this time I eliminated the cinnamon and threw in some spinach and parmesan. NICE!!!

CyndiM
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I do love them savory. Apparently it's an old low carb recipe. I found directions online to just make them on a plate and use them as burger buns. We've tried it and it works

sarahyu
11-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Savory and making them on a plate sounds wonderful. I hadn't thought of making them that way. Or it could be made sweet on a skillet like a pancake....wow, we can go crazy and make up some really great things.

KD7
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Wow, I just made these like, 5 minutes ago, and they are wonderful. I'm allergic to cinnamon so I changed it up and used lemon zest and a bit of juice instead, and they were fantastic! Great recipe, thank you.

momtotwinzplus1
07-18-2012, 11:18 AM
These are one of my favorite finds since joining this thread...yum!

amberconnolly
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
These sound great! Can you also make them in the oven?

Natasha1534
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Made these again this morning but added some pumpkin pie spice as well. Yummy!!!

Rgd4325
02-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I am back on the beach after a six year absence and I was intrigued by this recipe that I had never tried before. Wow it was so great and filling. My changes:
-2T flax
-sour cream (light) instead of yogurt
-teeny bit of vanilla extract
- no sweetener so I added 1 T of natural peanut butter
So yummy and very filling! I can't wait to try the savory version to eat with soup or salad. This was my first meal back on the beach -Great start!:carrot:

LoLoLady
11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Just tried these today. Used the original recipe, and it was great. I have a microwave egg poacher tray (from the Dollar Tree) that has three muffin-type wells. Filled the wells half way, and the recipe made 4 smaller muffins. The taste reminded me of apple cinnamon muffins (but without the apples). This is the first time I have ever used flax seed. I got the pre-ground flax seed from GNC. The container is quite large. Since I love this recipe, I will be making many muffin varieties in my future. A cup of tea and 4 smaller muffins makes me think I am cheating :)

Tomorrow I am going to make them with sauteed onions/celery, sage, and some pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles. As KO posted previously, I bet they will taste like Thanksgiving stuffing.

EmmaD
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Awesome to see this - I had only ever made the "Muffin in a Minute" in the Phase 2 Breakfasts section, which is similar but more flax meal. This gives me so many more ideas.

BTW, the Golden Flax Meal giant 3-lb bag from Costco has a really mild flavor, is very affordable ($9 I think, but I'm not sure since it has been so long since I had to buy it) and lasts for a long time at room temperature. Love it.

mexigrl64
04-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Has anyone tried making these ahead of time refrigerating them? I really need something to grab and go in the morning for breakfast, and these are perfect. However I've noticed the most versions it says that their best served warm.

Thanks!!

CyndiM
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
There is a recipe for peanut butter muffins that are good cold. It's somewhere in here :)

ETA - the ones (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2/268458-peanut-butter-banana-muffins.html) I am thinking of are Phase 2, do you need a Phase 1 recipe?

mexigrl64
04-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi - I would prefer a Phase 1 recipe to keep my daily carbs down, and still have some room later in the day for fruit or grain if possible. However, I am moving into Phase 2 so those would be ok.

I'm hopeful that these refrigerate well or there is a way to make them grab and go :)

Thanks!!

CyndiM
04-30-2014, 05:01 PM
It is only 2 bananas in 12 muffins so they won't impact your daily fruit much. I make mine without any added sweetener but we've been working at decreasing our taste for overly sweet foods for awhile. It's worth trying if you want to keep them as low carb as possible.

I haven't made them in a couple of months but I think we just stored them on the counter.