Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #1  

Default What do you do when you get sick?

I am sick right now. And annoyed. I don't have time to be sick but I'm pretty sure everyone feels that way. I was able to work out on Saturday morning but not today. I'm much worse today. I've tried to still drink plenty of water and eat reasonably even though I'm not up to cooking.

So, how do you change/adjust when you're sick? The last time I was serious about losing I got sick for several weeks and it really derailed my efforts. I don't want to do that again. Tips? Advice?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #2  
GSD Mom

S/C/G: 205/201/145

Height: 5' 4"

Bindersbee,

When I get really sick, I eat light oatmeal toast with butter and keep plenty of clear chicken broth on hand. I sip green tea infused with ginger with touch of honey and lemon. I keep taking my multi-vitamin and take 2 Tylenol extra-strength every 8 hours.

I know that honey is horrible for carbs, but honey is natural antiseptic and anti-fungal that it's health benefits out way the sugars. I make it a point to eat a light salad or broiled chicken to keep up my strength. Even though I feel like yuck, I still try to at least throw some chicken in the oven.

I sorry you are not feeling well, I wish I could be more help to you. Another good trick to help is to boil some water on the stove with lavender / horsetail / marshmallow root infusion. It helps to clear up your sinus and adds moisture in the air. Get better soon...
LadybirdnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I drink a lot of tea. And try to go to bed early. I have a cold right now and that is the worst kind of sick, in my opinion, because you don't take the time to get better. I tend to power through colds and so they linger forever. I would almost rather have the flu because it will make you stop everything and just sleep until you get better. Good luck!
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

I just eat what I want when I'm sick. Getting better is what's important. If something sounds goods, I'll eat it... besides you only eat a few bites when you're sick, right?

Feel better soon!

PS - My mom was very sick last week and in the ER. She is the same way as me... eat what you can tolerate to swallow/taste and get back on track when you're better.
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #5  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I don't get sick often, except for sinus infections, which don't usually affect my appetite either way. The few times I've gotten sick that i don't feel like eating, I just try to drink fluids, usually broth, tea, water.

Ladybird, I LOVE your GSD!!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #6  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I don't get sick very much... but i'm thinking about the last time i was sick and what i did.

"blehh sick" naseous but nothing else- over the course of one day i drank a 20oz regular sprite and a sleeve of plain saltines. nothing else. and i didn't even get off the couch.

cold/flu sick- i drank LOTS of hot tea- mostly because i was freezing all day. i ate vegetable soup and more saltines...

i think you just have to do what makes you feel better. even if you dont work out or eat like crap!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #7  

I was feeling just a little bit better today but not great. Still, I managed to make myself do a workout with the promise that I could quit after 35 minutes on the bike (my minimum) if I just wasn't up to it. I managed to gut it out and do a full 50 minute work out! I'm so proud of myself for doing it even though I didn't 'feel like it'.

I've got a sinus thing and mild sore throat- enough to not feel great but not so much as to be incapacitated (though I really wanted to believe that I was). I'm not going to let this sidetrack me. This exact thing happened 2 years ago when I lost 20 lbs. and I never got back to the workouts again which then caused all my efforts to stagnate. Not this time!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I push the vitamins when I'm sick. I love Emergen-C, and the minute I feel something coming on, I add it to all my water. I just use one packet for my litre bottle, rather than what it suggests - tastes yummy, & I like to think it helps me fight off the bugs!

Re. exercise, I think a common rule of thumb is that if your symptoms are above the neck (headache, stuffy, etc.) you're fine to exercise (although maybe a bit lighter than your usual), but if they are below the neck (chest cold, etc.) then you ought to consider taking a break from the exercise.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote