Weight and Resistance Training - BFL -- Week 3

View Full Version : BFL -- Week 3

sportmom
02-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Ready to roll thru 1/4 of the whole program? It's Week 3!!

I'm up anyway with my ice skated-sore legs -- ugh! Might as well start the Week 3 Thread!

TMI: Totally sick from free-day too. I didn't even go overboard - had like 3 reese cups and a few choco covered nut clusters. :( My body can't handle this stuff anymore! I think I will stick to a good solid meal from now on!

midwife
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Good luck with the test, Lydia! I know I consider you a weightlifting guru already.

My free days evolved from junky stuff to just more healthy stuff (most of the time). I think that these 12 weeks will be full of lessons for all of us. Some of these lessons I have to relearn frequently.

Well, the cold that has been hassling everyone else has landed on me like a ton of bricks. And all I can think of is---I have to feel up to lifting weights tonight!!

My temptations this week include DD's birthday. Obtaining cupcakes and a cake (at this point I'll hit a bakery!), resisting other stuff at the bakery, and making good choices out at dinner tomorrow night....where there are few good choices to be had.

sportmom
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Morning everyone.

So Lydia posted:
"....On that day, it {the food} just didn't rate real high on my pleasuremeter, :lol: Everyone else in the room was enjoying the experience but me ~sigh~ not quite as much. "

So what takes the place? What gives you pleasure now instead of food? A good general discussion for everyone........

I'm wondering if it will be exercise instead? Maybe it turns into shopping for new clothes, or new exercise clothes, or becoming a pro on finding the best web price for your fav running shoe? Something has to replace the high that you used to get food, otherwise life becomes a slow dull yawn. Actually, I know it does become remarkably 'boring' and predictable, but that's a result of meal planning and not eating on the fly anymore. I've seen that happen already. I mean, when you get excited about grocery shopping and trying to find your yogurt in the economy size containers...:yawn:, yeah, you need a new source of pleasure! :D

midwife
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Hmm....some food still gives me pleasure...red chile, roasted butternut squash, greek yogurt.....

Other things that give me pleasure---running fast and feeling great! Moving to a higher weight in the gym. Moving to a lower weight on the scale. Watching DD lift weights. (she rocks!)

jamsk8r
02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
What takes the place? This week it was finding out that I can fit comfortably into a size medium in workout pants. I started in a 2x, and haven't seen medium pants or shorts in at least 14 years. I actually got to shop at the low end of the rack for pants. I'd say that's better than pizza any day!

Lydia, good luck with your test! I'm sure you'll ace it. I bet you'll be a great PT!

I'm OP for this challenge. I've been mostly following the Crossfit dotcom workout schedule this past week, and filling in with weight lifting and running. I tried following the crossfit workouts plus my usual upper/lower split schedule, but there was too much overlap. It's easier to follow the CF workouts, and just fill in with whatever supplemental lifting and cardio doesn't result in overtraining. I'm having fun with my workouts, too. Motivation to work out was a problem when I started this challenge, so I'm happy to have come up with a balance of activities that leaves me looking forward to the next workout, and the next. :)

Ilene
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
The whole weekend for me was a "free" day :rolleyes:

I did exercise a lot though but the scale did not move this morning, Tuesday is my actual weigh-in day but I doubt that I'll have lost any weight...

4rabbit
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
hi BFLL,

I had my free day on saturday, and was back on track yesterday. I did 25 mins treadmill and then i did a lot of house cleaning and laiundry, laundy and laundry.

Today: UBWO and also power class this evening. I weightd this morning but did not loose wieght. I guess this is because I still have enormous problems with the portion control. Just sticking to the 6 meals scenario and writing down my meals every morning is a huge thing for me.

I'm over to put my meals at the meals thread.

Lydia - Studiing for certification --You ROCK!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

midwife
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Just got back from a major clean eating obstacle course.

First, the mall....with Cinnabon piping fresh aromas into the air.
Then a local chocolate shop to pick up Valentine's sweets for the kiddos (2 of them leave to go skiing Friday so I need to be prepared).
Then a local bakery to pickup 2 dozen cupcakes for DD's class tomorrow and order the birthday cake. So many interesting looking cookies, pastries, etc.

But it really did help that I'm not feeling well. I was like, meh, whatever. Mostly! But I'm still proud that I came home to have spinach, beans, and turkey.

It's a new day and a new week, Ilene. Back on plan! :drill: :lol:

ETA: OMG! I almost forgot!! When I was at the mall I tried on some size 6 Levis and they fit! woohoo! I didn't buy them cause I am trying to be Financially Responsible. It was cool though!

WaterRat
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Just having them fit is enough, eh? :) Congrats!

midwife
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks, Pat. 'Twas a thrill to pull them up and button them! I'll go back and get them someday....

jamsk8r
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Midwife, just wait a couple weeks, and go back for the 4s. :D

sportmom
02-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone, I bumped up my HIIT cardio today to include 2 running segments, so now 50% of my HIIT workout (excl my warmup and cooldown). I did ok at running at the final peak at 4.8, so that was pretty exciting!

Ilene
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Just got back from a major clean eating obstacle course.

First, the mall....with Cinnabon piping fresh aromas into the air.
Then a local chocolate shop to pick up Valentine's sweets for the kiddos (2 of them leave to go skiing Friday so I need to be prepared).
Then a local bakery to pickup 2 dozen cupcakes for DD's class tomorrow and order the birthday cake. So many interesting looking cookies, pastries, etc.

But it really did help that I'm not feeling well. I was like, meh, whatever. Mostly! But I'm still proud that I came home to have spinach, beans, and turkey.

It's a new day and a new week, Ilene. Back on plan! :drill: :lol:

ETA: OMG! I almost forgot!! When I was at the mall I tried on some size 6 Levis and they fit! woohoo! I didn't buy them cause I am trying to be Financially Responsible. It was cool though!I had written a response to this the other day, got lost in the shuffle I guess :shrug: ... I had said that :woohoo: for you for not succumbing to the cinnabon,
midwife :dance: .... The pant-o-meter is the best, I often, when broke :(, just go in to Winners and try clothes on, pretty cheap and uplifting, if you take a smaller size...

Last night, had wine, I just gotta stop the insanity :crazy: .... food was good though but I'm not losing any weight because of a couple of indiscretions...

Have a good day everyone, let's be careful out there :yes:

sportmom
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh no! Are we in the Week 3 blah-zone??? WAKE UP EVERYONE! Stick with the plan! If you haven't, then pile on some extra cardio to make up for all those empty wine bottles and food wrappers! ;) Been so slammed at work that this is the first time I've been able to get on here.

4rabbit
02-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi Fran,
No 3 week blah here! I'm still on and posting my day to day stuff at the meals thread.
Rabbit

sportmom
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone, yesterday was so busy that by the time I could get my ubwo lifting done, I was too wiped out to do it! So this morning is a new day, right? I got up and hoofed thru my cardio. Then at lunch, I did my lifting, so I'm back on schedule!

Planning on skipping my free day this week I think. A few spot indiscretions earlier in this week probably combine to equal one day I think! ;)

WaterRat
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I missed my workout on Tues, and yesterday was a planned rest, which I couldn't swap around as I had a meeting (which was why it was a rest day in the first place :) ). Tonight will be some ss cardio and a NRLW workout. I need to leave work on time for a change and then I'll have time for the exercise and still get something done at home.

I'm going to town to a square dance mid-winter festival tomorrow night so it's an active rest day. Saturday I'll be back at the gym for hopefully both a workout and some HIIT cardio. Sunday is another rest day. Next week will be trickier. I'll be out of town at a quilting retreat Thurs noon through Sat night. I plan to workout either M,T,TH, or M, W, Th. If the weather keeps improving as it has been, I may be able to do some walking at the retreat (depending also on how much snow is on the ground there!)

Ilene
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree week 3 in any plan is the slump week, kinda like hump day ?? :lol: NO, it can't be like hump day cause it's gonna go down hill and we don't want that...

On a positive note I've done good so far today... Spent 1:45 at the gym doing UBWO and some HIIT... How long does everyone's HIIT last? I did the dreadmill for 35 mins... My runs outside are longer usually 45 mins...

Food so far is good :yes: ... I'll go post on the other thread...

WaterRat
02-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Ilene - I usually aim for 30 min on the elliptical (my machine of choice) which includes 5 min of warm up and cool down, so 20 minutes of actual cardio work. I usually use a Couch to 5K podcast with music to do my HIIT. It's only week 2 of the program, so it's 6 cycles - cued - of 2 min walk, 90 sec "running" which for me means keeping the revolutions above a certain number. I tend to increase my speed for the first four cycles, then back off a little on the last two. I used this program in 2001 (without the podcast of course :) ) to train for racing 5Ks and found it very successful for running. My other option for HIIT is a playlist I have with very upbeat music - there are certain points in each song where I speed up. It's more random than the podcast though. Both of them keep me from fixating on the time display on the machine. :) I'm not sure about using more than the next couple of weeks of the program because the "running" sections get longer and longer, and that's not what I want for HIIT, though it works great of training for a race.

Anyway, as with all cardio, it's a mind game to keep you going.

midwife
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Midwife, just wait a couple weeks, and go back for the 4s. :D

You know just how to cheer a girl up! :carrot:

jamsk8r
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey ladies. Just checking in to say I'm still staying OP with my workouts and eating. Have been mixing up my program, lots of crossfit stuff, alternating heavy lifting/lower reps with BFL style. My main goal right now is to keep it fun and do something daily, because I had a real problem with workout motivation when I tried to stick with a real strict program. This is working for me, at least in that regard, and the scale is creeping down (after being up from the cereal addiction last week).

Fran, WTG with making up that workout! :lifter:

Ilene, I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes that long to do UB. I've been playing with splitting arms work up, doing biceps on one legs day, triceps on the other legs day. That cuts down some on the long UB workouts, and works well as long as I don't do them back to back, or if they are back to back, I do UB the first day, LB the second, so no danger of dropping a barbell on my face (well, no more than normal, lol).

Pat, can you just use the same podcast over and over? I guess that might get boring, though, huh?

Midwife, glad I could cheer you up. :D

midwife
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Well, let's just call tonight my free night.....

I'm taking a page out of Cheryl's book, on plan tomorrow! I will I will I will!!!!

Jen

sportmom
02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey guys! Quick question: there's been a request over 2 separate weeks now to not have a separate thread for BFL, or to combine it into the monthly thread here. If you haven't already stated an opinion on this, can you? I know there are a few people who post on both threads, but I also think there may be some people who post on the BFL threads who are not regularly hitting the monthly thread. If you fall into that category and would prefer to keep BFL separate, please speak up. We'll do what the majority prefers.

Ilene
02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
sportmom -- I'm not sure I know what you mean ... Is there another BFL thread or are we talking about the monthly resistant training thread? I find there is a difference because we ARE doing a 12 week challenge, aren't we? So, my vote is to keep this BFL weekly thread going for the group of us who are doing the 12 week challenge....

Cheryl -- whew, I thought I was the only one who took an eternity to do the UB.... I was thinking of splitting the arms to another day too, maybe even on leg day, because it doesn't take me long to do legs.... I really skimp on my arms because I am whipped after chest, back and shoulders :faint: .... I am feeling my pecs a lot these days though, so the workout IS definitely working...:strong:

WaterRat
02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Quickly, or I'll be late for work. Oh wait, I'm the boss, who's gonna call me on it? :lol: I'd be in favor of combining the 2 BFL threads, but not with the monthly thread - make sense?

Pat, can you just use the same podcast over and over? I guess that might get boring, though, huh?

Yes, Cheryl, it can get a little boring. I do use music on my gym playlist sometimes, so probably only 1x week for the podcast. I can use about the first 3 weeks of the program, then the running portion gets longer than I want to go for HIIT. It is nice for someone else to count the time though. :)

I'm behind as I ended up feeling like c**p last night - fatigued, headache, just nasty. Since several people at work have had something I decided to head it off, and I feel better this morning, though a little stuffy. I'll hit it harder tomorrow (off to active rest tonight - square dancing in Anchorage). Okay, need to get dressed and leave really....

jamsk8r
02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Ilene, UB always takes me much longer than legs, and the arms don't get too abused during a legs workout, so it seems a good time to work them. That way I can do more arms sets, too, because as you said, at the end of an UB workout, you're toast before you get to the arms, esp with BFL sets, IMO.

4rabbit
02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Sportmom

I'm in favor of combining the 2 BFL threads,

Rabbit

sportmom
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry, to clarify, it would mean combining the 2 BFL threads (weeks and meals) into the general monthly Lifting forum thread. (February, for example). So there would be no separate BFL threads. It's not talking about combining the BFL week/BFL meals threads. Those would both go away and we would do all our posting in the general February thread from now on.

WaterRat
02-13-2009, 07:10 PM
My answer then is no. But I would like to combine the 2 BFL threads if we're going to have new ones each week. But whatever, I'll find you :)

midwife
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm fine with whatever. I think probably a single BFL thread is fine for us to post our meals, thoughts, progress, etc. I'd be okay merging them into the main thread, but I'm fine not also.

me4life
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
hey all i've been working for a bit and since i'm not on the same week i haven't posted. hate to mess up the schedule...lol but am posting in the food thread

Ilene
02-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Sportmom

I'm in favor of combining the 2 BFL threads,

RabbitOHHHH, were talking about the bfl food and talk threads? :doh: I guess we can put both threads together, whatever everyone else wants, I'm easy...

Lydia227
02-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Me4life :welcome: I'm so glad you posted! Which week are you on? It appears from your ticker that you are having some great success with the program. Feel free to share your experiences with this program too no matter which week your are completing!

sportmom
02-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Me4life -- good to see you! I had posted on the BL thread to ask you to share your BFL story. You said you had lost 50 lbs on it before your wedding? Was that in one challenge or longer?