Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #1  
Fattie McFatFat

S/C/G: 161.5/161/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Working out with no gym, eating with no choices

I'm going away for 10 days to visit family on the other side of the globe and won't have access to a gym of any sort nor will i be able to choose my meals. Grandma cooks all the meals and would be insulted if I prepared my own food. I am going to try and stick to my daily caloric range even though it's going to be difficult during those 10 days. To make the situation more difficult, I will have more time to exercise BUT no equipment!!

I have the Billy Blanks - Capture the Power DVD set and was thinking about bringing these with me so I can work out in the living room and run laps around the small terrace of my family's building complex.

Anybody have any other ideas or tips on how I can keep within my caloric range and exercise when I'm away and not able to make my own meals or have access to a gym?

Last edited by Shereel; 02-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Shereel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #2  

How about one of those rubber reistance bands with handles? Easy to pack, quiet to use. And you could always take a walk.

F
Florrie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 6

walking or hiking would be great. You could check some workout tapes/DVD's out from your local library....

Just stick to small portions and you should be fine. Load up on veggies if they are available! Stay on plan as much as possible, you'll be happier when you get home.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #4  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

The exercises on this site are great when you don't have equipment. I also like to do stairs.... lots of stairs. Walking is always an option.

http://www.better-exercise-fitness-f...com/index.html
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Small portions and walking daily.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #6  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

if you have a private room you could always do good old fashion jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, or even marching in place for 15 mins, etc... if you got a walk man or i pod dance in your room by your self..lol.. drink as much water as you can it will keep you full and get rid of the extra sodium you'll probably be taking in... and since they'd be offended if you prepared your own meals how abotu taking so calorie dense things that would help fill you up before you go an eat so you don't indulge... things you don't need refrigerated and could quick chew on in your room, like nuts, dried fruits, 90 calorie granola bars, protein bars, rice cakes,pre portioned baggies of cereal like fiber one, special k, etc...
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

yeah i think your best are going to be -working your butt off every chance you get. since you'll have more time and can't make your own meals you're gonna have to up the calorie burn! and -just make sure you really enjoy your food. really eat slowly and stop when you're not hungry anymore.

have fun with your family!!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Maybe a nice sit down talk with Grandma about your health and desire to make it better might be in order. Just as sweetly and as honestly as possible. If that doesn't work, LIE...(I'm not kidding) Tell her your doctor has ordered you to take off x amount of pounds because of ______. (fill in the blank with something believable like a menstrual problem but not something life threatening that might terrify her).

10 days of my Grandma's cooking would have meant 20 pounds for me. She was an AWESOME cook. But she also loved me very much and always understood when I would decline something, (but oh how I'd gladly go a day without food for a piece of her German chocolate cake now that she's gone!)

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-08-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Not sure where you're going and what the weather and other conditions will be like, but getting away from your gym and routine might be a great thing. Others have mentioned activities like walking, hiking, jogging that can be done outdoors. Indoors, resistance bands are great, as are other exercises that rely on your body weight such as pushups, tricep dips, lunges, various ab exercises. Be creative and have fun!

Regarding the food, this is a good opportunity for you to practice what maintenance will be like. Hopefully your grandma won't be insulted if you just eat less in general and make healthier choices. Load up on veggies, for example. Drink lots of water. Enjoy yourself, but be mindful of what you put in your mouth.

Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #10  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Like everyone has said, talk to your family to see if you can make them understand what you're working for and why. Exercise, there is actually soooooo much you can do without a gym or equipment. Just using your own body weight as resistance can be such a great thing. Doing things in circuits and alternating upper and lower body activities i.e. doing alternating punches while in a static squat followed by plie jumps followed by burpees and then doing the circuit over again 1 or 2 more times. Just doing old fashioned calistenics like planks, push ups, high knees, butt kicks, moutain climbers etc can be great things. Just develop some some sort of routine with all of these things and you'll be surprised just how much you can push yourself. If you can take a look at some of Jillian Michaels' dvds to get some ideas of circuits and you'll be just fine when it comes to what you can do. And food wise, just try and keep the portions small. Eat a little bit of what's offered and eating more of the better options you'll be ok. I would aim more to maintain and/or have a small loss rather than try to lose a great amount of weight. Good luck to you!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseCAT View Post
The exercises on this site are great when you don't have equipment. I also like to do stairs.... lots of stairs. Walking is always an option.
Good site. I wonder if you have access to internet at your place on the other end of the globe. Walking and careful diet --you may not have the calorie finder but i guess you can estimate on your experience-- would serve your purpose.
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/199/174

Height: 5'-11"

Like others said, walking, sit-ups, push-ups, etc

Surprisingly, you might find that the break in your normal exercises and doing some different ones, might prove very effective.

Try to enjoy the trip!
juls64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

A jump rope is inexpensive, easy to pack, and fabulous exercise. And you could find some great workouts that involve just body-weight resistance or resistance bands on Self.com (they even have a jump rope workout).

I also think that you have to sometimes be prepared to eat off plan. You're going to be with your family, on vacation. Some things are more important than dieting. For me, at least, family is one of those things and food is often central to family celebrations. Ten days off your plan is not going to all the progress you've made. And, in the big picture, these ten days aren't going to matter much so long as you get back on plan once you are home. I'm not saying you shouldn't do the best you can in terms of making healthy choices and portion control, but I also wouldn't get too worried about it. Enjoy your time with your grandma and the rest of your family and don't worry so much about the food.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

two 1 gallon jugs of water make great weights to do lunges, squats, hammer curls and all the shoulder exercises like lateral raises.

Cradle one jug in the palm of your hands and do curls. Raise one jug up and behind your head to work your triceps. Hold a jug and do crunches.

You could work almost your entire body with 2 gallons of water. Each jug weighs 8.33lbs.

Then there are exercises where you use you own weight to exercise like pushups and leg raises.

Someone mentioned those rubber bands you can work out with, those would pack small and you most def can get a good workout with them.

Combine that with the workout tapes you are bringing and some brisk walking or jogging if you can and with all the extra time you will have you may burn more calories than home!

Just be up front with your Grandma and tell her up front that you are trying to get healthier, I am sure she will understand more than you would think.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Everyone has given great advice, portion control is also effective. Eat Grandma's food...just limit the quantities. Make your goal for the vacation maintenance, and then you practice the way you will eat forever.

Most of all...have a great time!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote