Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Self Esteem

So I have been reading a lot of posts where girls are beating themselves up for little things. And I have been struggling for weeks to think of something positive to put into the "one positive thing" thread.

I am aware that my self esteem is not the highest. I think I was taught that vanity was a bad thing so I go the complete opposite way. If I ever think I look nice then I start to pick myself apart until I feel bad again. Anytime I feel good about something I tend to knock myself back down because I don't want to feel vain or conceited. I need to stop this!!

What do you girls do when you are feeling down about yourself?
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

i find for me that the best thing to do is talk about how i'm feeling with my fiance and he reminds me of all the reasons why he loves me. then i can't help but see a few positives. if such a great guy wants to marry me, there must be some good there!

wow, did that just sound totally man-dependent?!?
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's wrong to not want to be selfish or conceited, but there is middle ground. I think it helps to think about what if you had a daughter - how would you want her to feel about herself? If she said the things about herself that you say about yourself - what would you tell her?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/210/165

Height: 5'6"

I work in the healthcare field. What keeps me positive is the fact that I have my faith, health, family/friends, education and job. A lot of people I see are disabled, have no jobs or no family. But most of them have a positive attitude. If they can be happy despite the negatives, I know I can be happy too!
QuadLuvinGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

These are all great points ladies. I should definitely stop having a pity party for myself. I have a lot to be thankful for and much to be proud of. I am too much of a perfectionist, I need to get over it.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 188/173.7/170

Height: 5'7.5"

I think of what I value in my friends and family, and then remind myself that I have a lot of the same qualities. Things like honesty, compassion, loyalty, a sense of humour, and a desire to help others. When I get down on how I look in a mirror, I remember how much more I have to offer. On the days I like the way I look, I'm happy that the outside is starting to match the inside.

Another game I like to play is to find something beautiful about everyone I see. I play it on the bus: sometimes it's something they're wearing, or a nice smile, or how gracefully they move. It helps me do the same when I look at myself, and is a good reminder that beauty is everywhere, not just magazines and on TV.
Hummus is offline   Reply With Quote