PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #1  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

Default PCOS question

I went to my doc about my weight...said it seemed like it was not coming off...I had lost weight b4 (after pregnancy) and it wasn't as hard. got the usual unhelpful advice.
I went to my doc a while back complaining of hairs on my face....she was not helpful.

I went for pains in my side...got an ultrasound and found that I have cysts on my ovaries...

I haven't had a period in months and b4 that my period was almost incapacitating...she said it was early menopause.

I was (successfully) treated for adult acne. then treated for high blood pressure which I had never had before.

Do I have pcos??? wouldn't she know that? I know you're not docs, just looking for opinions.

Last edited by iminhere; 02-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #2  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I would see about getting a referral to an endocrinologist because if the doctor in question is only a general practioner she may not necessarily put all the pieces together. Did you ask her about the possibility of PCOS? With my personal experience I asked a couple general practioners and OBGYNs about it and none of them seemed convinced about my issues and didn't feel the need to investigate it. It wasn't until I had gone to an endocrinologist was I officially diagnosed when I thought I had it for several years. I would see about getting checked out by an endocrinologist because you have some symptoms indicative of PCOS. Good luck!!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #3  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

thanks!

no I didn't ask cus I didn't know about it.

I am in a new state so I will be getting a new doc when my insurance kicks in.
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #4  

There are a lot of symptoms of PCOS.

What is polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to have a variety of symptoms.

What are the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?

The symptoms of PCOS include:

Irregular or no menstrual periods
Acne
Obesity, and
Excess hair growth
Other signs and symptoms of PCOS include:

weight gain,
acne,
oily skin,
dandruff,
infertility,
skin discolorations,
high cholesterol levels,
elevated blood pressure, and
abnormal hair growth and distribution.

Any of the above symptoms and signs may be absent in PCOS, with the exception of irregular or no menstrual periods. All women with PCOS will have irregular or no menstrual periods. Women who have PCOS do not regularly ovulate; that is, they do not release an egg every month. This is why they do not have regular periods.

The more symptoms you have the more likely you have it. Not everyone is the same with PCOS.
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

All good info - I would definately try to see an endocrinologist. PCOS can be hard to diagnose and many are totally unfamiliar with it. Cysts on your ovaries does not mean you have PCOS and it is really unfortunate that the name of this disorder has cysts in the title. There are many women who have PCOS and do not have cysts. You DEFINATELY want to find out what is going on as PCOS can have serious consequences - particularly if you want to conceive at some point.

I hope you get a new doctor soon and can get help.

HUGS
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #6  

By "irregular" does that always mean not very often? I'm asking because I seem to have several of the symptoms and had problems with my period since I first started at age 12. At age 12 I was on birth control to regulate but in my case, I would start regularly then not stop. I have actually been on my period for 6 weeks once. Normal for me was probably 10 days. I had 2 DNC's before I was 21 yrs ago and had a hysterectomy at 29. Fertility was no problem though and fortunately I had two kids by the time I had the hysterectomy. I had ovarian cysts constantly. I had to be given 5 pints of blood before I even had enough for the surgery, I had gotten so anemic. I am 46 now and back then they never did figure out what my problem was. My husband used to joke that instead of the norm, I would go for 3 weeks and be off for one, instead of the other way around.
MikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #7  
~jus' being me~

Its taken doctors 6 years to work out that I have PCOS. I think this is part of the frustration for women who have it - for many years we are treated for other things that are not the cause.

Your GP should be able to give you a referral to have:

- an ultrasound to confirm presence of cysts
- a glucose tolerance test to confirm whether you are insulin resistant etc

After that you can then see an endo to get more treatment if your GP is not across it (I dont even think my gyno understands it to be honest)

Last edited by Madison; 07-05-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote