Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Scared to buy a new scale

Hello all,

I have been using the same scale for 15 years, and think I need to change. The reason? I hop on, and weigh 163, then get off, and the scale is not at zero, it's a plus two pounds. So I re-zero it, get back on, and weight 168. And this goes on. Sometimes I will get on and off, it's zeroed, get back on, and I've gained or lost two pounds.

In short, it's a very old-school dial scale and it's super inaccurate. Also, I know it weighs me about two pounds under what the doctor's office scale weighs.

The reason I'm scared is, this has been my measure for 6 years of weight loss now. I lost 30 originally, gained 10 back, but stayed there for several years (using my scale as a measure) then lost the 10 and some more, and am working on my last 10. I'm afraid I will be totally disoriented about where I am in my progress if I get a new scale. What is 163 on my current scale is 165 or 166 on an accurate scale. I will feel so discouraged seeing that number!!

Does anyone have suggestions for a great scale, and some advice about how to handle the change mentally?
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

You might not need to buy a new scale. Take a 5 pound weight and recalibrate it.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Get the new scale, and begin anew. You can't keep that old scale forever.

Weigh yourself on the old scale, then on the new scale, and note the difference. Add or subtract that amount from your old numbers, and you should still have lost 30 pounds, gained 10, etc.

These are only numbers. We don't live and die by them!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

that new mary lou retton scale doesnt' tell you your weight itonly tells you your weight CHANGES> so if you lose a lb or gian a lb it tells you. you might want to look into that?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #5  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Get the new scale, and begin anew. You can't keep that old scale forever.

Weigh yourself on the old scale, then on the new scale, and note the difference. Add or subtract that amount from your old numbers, and you should still have lost 30 pounds, gained 10, etc.

These are only numbers. We don't live and die by them!

Jay

I did this ^^ Last month I broke down and bought a new digital scale, I was *very* attached to the ancient dial scale I had since it weighed me less than any other scale I jumped on. But, I have grown to LOVE the new scale! So I say go ahead - take the plunge!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #6  

I did this in 2007 when I was dieting.. My scales were way off like 20 pounds.. But it is what it is.. I love my digital scales.. I think I bought it at walmart..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Does anyone have any suggestions for digital scales that they like?
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I don't have a recommendation, just a warning.... beware of the Taylor slim-profile digital scales! They fluctuate wildly depending on how exactly you stand on the scale (do you lean forward a little, lean back, breathe, etc), but it tries to trick you into thinking it's accurate by keeping the last displayed weight in it's "memory" for a minute or so, so if you step right back on it'll show you the same number. If you wait and come back in 5 minutes though, it'll give you a weight that's up to 5 pounds different. Really annoying! :P
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/181/155

Height: 5'6.5"

I just brought a Health-o-meter scale from Wal Mart for 20 bucks. It tracks weight for two different people and tells how much you've lost or gained from the last time you weighed yourself. I've had it for about a month now and love it. It's much better than the old digital scale I brought from a second hand store. The old scale would say that I was the same weight for days at a time. It was discouraging because I knew I was watching my food intake and exercising. The scale I have now is much better and I can see my progress.
FaithBW is offline   Reply With Quote