Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305.4/TICKER/160

Height: 5'3" (160cm)

Question skipping strength until thinner??

as I am now, i can barely do a wall push up, or a simple crunch.. my muscles are really weak. with the ammount of body weight that i have, it makes doing these things even more difficult..

is it ok to skip strength training until im 25-35 lbs lighter and able to see a trainer??
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I really think you should stick with some strength training, even tiny amounts will add up. try planks instead of wall push ups and sit ups even if you have to start out only holding them for 5 seconds, you will be up to 30seconds in no time. Even if you can only do 1 wall push up, do that 1 every day for a week, hen next week try 2 ect. Tiny tries equal big pay off. You will be amazed at what you can do even 2 weeks from now. Also try getting some hand weights, even if its just 2lbs to start to do some tricep/bicep stuff, on the floor chest presses ect. Don't forget some squats and and leg lifts. Even if it is just 2 or 5. The next week will always be better than the last. You need your body strong as well as thinner. Plus more muscle burns more calories.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well, it is your body and you can do whatever you want with it. However, strength training will greatly aid you in losing weight and it's super awesome so I would not wait until you lose weight. No at all. Many people try that then end up disappointied. They can't believe how different things go when they add in strength training. It's okay to start out easy. You'll improve over time. It sounds like you are maybe just a bit intimidated?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing with strength training is the more you do it, the easier it gets. At 360 lbs, I started with strength training. Do wall pushups, do squats, do crunches but do them to the best of your current ability. Seeing a trainer is helpful but I think you can learn to do some stuff on your own.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It's really up to you. It's a delicate balance of pushing yourself just enough or too much (mostly for you own mental state).
Personally, I didn't exercise at all until I was under 240, and I didn't feel like it impeded my weight loss. But there are a number of women on here who are around 300 and working out with more ease than many athletes. So it's really up to you.

If you do want to start strength training, it may be important for you to start with free weights or machines. Using your own weight as the resistance ( like you do in push-ups or sit-ups) seems to be too much for you right now. Could you get some free weights, or lift at the gym?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305.4/TICKER/160

Height: 5'3" (160cm)

nope.. no weights or gyms where i live unfortunately... for my arms and legs i started doing some hula dance videos... thats alot of squatting, toe ups, and ALOT of arm holding... so its a start i guess..
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #7  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Awlass, just do what you can. Rent some exercise dvds or buy then if you can afford it and see what resistance training you can push yourself to do. Just using your body weight in a modified way can make a big difference. Any for of resistance training will increase muscle which burns more fat when you're inactive which in turns speeds up weightloss with the more muscle you have. But ultimately it's up to you.
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing I forgot to ask is can you buy resistance bands where you are at? Or have someone ship some to you (they are very lightweight). You could do a resistance band workout which would be effective but not expensive/heavy to ship like weights.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote