100 lb. Club - "I Don't Eat That Kind Of Stuff"

View Full Version : "I Don't Eat That Kind Of Stuff"

hpnodat
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I was talking to someone the other day about eating certain foods and eating at certain places.

I fully admit that I like/love convenience foods and Fast Food, that is what got me where I am in the first place... is eating all that crap.

So I told the lady that I do like to eat it and she said to me "I don't eat that kind of stuff". This woman is very health conscious and doesn't put stuff that is bad for her in her body. She is in great shape and in great health. But she is that way because she "doesn't eat that kind of stuff".

I want to be one of those people. I want to pass by the Fast Food places and say to my self "I just don't eat that kind of food".

Another food that bothers me a great deal is potatoes and fried foods. I love chips, fries, fried chicken, fried anything...

I believe my body can relearn to like the things that are good for me and to not like the things that are bad for me. I want to make it happen. It is so difficult though when I'm surrounded by it all the time. It is on TV, I have to pass by the places on the way to the grocery store or the bank, I get coupons in the mail for buy something get something for free. My child loves to eat there, My friends want to go pick up something fast. How do you live in a world like this? Especially when you love the foods so much. How do I start hating the foods? IT makes me MAD! :mad:

I want to be one of those people that says

"I just don't eat that kind of Stuff!"

Is there something that you wish you could get rid of? So you can say "I don't eat that kind of stuff or I don't do that sort of thing".

It doesn't have to be a food. Like I got rid of my smoking addiction. Well, I still have the addiction but I consider myself a nonsmoker now. I'm a happier person for it.

Mom2QJandT
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
I heard someone one time talking about "Life Laws" (I think it may have been Dr. Phil, but I can't promise it). He said that when you have issues with something you have to just make laws about it. Example: I don't knock off convenience stores, I don't kill people, and I don't eat fast food. I'm sure there was more to it, but that was the gist of it. Sometimes when I REALLY want something that I know is bad for me I'll remind myself that I don't rob banks and I don't eat three cookies! Even if making the law in the moment just gets me past a moment it's helpful, LOL.

cfmama
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
You know what? After four months of eating TOTALLY CLEAN I can honestly say... "I just don't eat that kind of stuff!" and it feels... GREAT!!! You will get there my friend :) You will!

nelie
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I would agree with clean eating. Honestly, that stuff will start not tasting good. I actually got mad at one point because I tried to eat stuff that I used to love but it just doesn't taste the same. Usually it smells a lot better than it tastes although I can't stand the smell of grease, it turns my stomach.

plum
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
eventually i get to a point where i can feel my body running better on healthy food (and then i get a PMS chocolate craving, and that feeling is gone for another month.)

and i love your "life laws," mom!

Gretchy
02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
lol I have to say - the life laws thing sounds good, but I don't think I can trick myself with that.

It's easy to say "I don't ________" with things you have no urge to do. How many of us have had an urge to kill someone or knock off a convenience store? ;)

ANewLife4Me
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
You know, another good thing is that believe it or not, you may get to a point to where you really don't like some of the stuff anymore. One example that I can think of for me was Diet Pepsi. I used to drink a ton of DP, and I could swear there was some major narcotic addictive substance in it, or something... I liked it that much. I used to joke with my sister and tell her I was certain that DP contained heroin. Anyway, I was having some problems, so I decided to stop drinking pop all together. It was difficult. After a couple of months went by, though, I thought I'd have a half a glass when I was at my sister's house. Several people were drinking the same thing-- it was out of a two liter, so I know there wasn't anything wrong with the pop. I took a couple of drinks though, and it tasted nasty to me. I was actually pretty happy about that! :) I know that was a long story for a short point, but the bottom line is that our tastebuds do change somewhat over time.

Daimere
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Tastebuds DO change. I cannot stomach any sodas any more. It's just nasty. Of course, I stopped at 13.

rodeogirl
02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
You = me in October of last year.

I love, LOVE greasy burger goodness. Fries. Chips. Mmmmm yeah.

But when I started changing my eating habits I worked on trying to eat in more and eat a lot more whole foods.

Since November 8th I've lost about 35lbs. In that time I've eaten chinese food (sweet and sour, kung pao chicken, General Tso's) chocolate cake, a carls junior jalepeno burger, chocolate ice cream cake, deep fried Mexican tacos, jello cake, a burger from burger king, diet coke, eggs, corned beef hash with a side of pancakes, and a bunch of stuff I can't remember along those lines.

But those things are now the exception rather than the rule. I'll have a burger but no fries. I'll have a small piece of cake instead of half a cake. I'll take half my chinese food home for the next day.

Most days I eat spinach, chicken breast, hummus, apples, asparagus, bananas, wheat pitas, turkey, greek yogurt and some walnuts. I count my calories and eat lots of good wholesome foods. I drink lots of water. I get a tiny bit of exercise - school is making that harder this quarter - but I do a little walking.

The point of all this is I consider myself one of those people who doesn't eat MUCH fast food but I still have a little. It works differently for everyone but from where I sit the more healthy foods I eat the better I feel and the less tempting junk is. I still go out once in awhile and if I'm with a group who hits McDonalds I generally order something and count the calories. If I have a say in where we're going I generally opt for Subway which has some options that I really enjoy and have fewer calories than other places.

That's my take on it.

Jennelle
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
If the health benefits of not eating fast food all the time don't sway you, just think about all the money you'll be saving! I used to eat out all the time. I would stop at McDonald's for breakfast every workday morning and drop $4.50 or so....that's $22.50 a week. I would eat the fatty, salty, carby food in the school cafeteria every day (I'm a teacher) for $3.00 a day....that's $15.00 a week. Over the course of a month, that works out to $90 on breakfasts and $60 on lunches. That's $150 a month total! That's close to half an entire month's grocery bill for me and my husband!

Now I get up 20 minutes earlier so I can have time to eat a nutritious breakfast at home and pack a nutritious lunch and snacks. I figure my lunch and two snacks cost me less than $3 total to make. My breakfast costs less than a dollar.

choirgirlhotel
02-04-2009, 11:05 PM
You will get there. It just takes a long time of not eating that stuff to start to not want it anymore.

I was the same as the poster above with diet pop. that's all I used to drink. then I quit, and I can't even drink the stuff now, it's disgusting. in fact, I can't eat anything with aspartame, I taste it right away now.

You have to shift into the mentality of "I can take it or leave it" instead of "I'm not supposed to have it". I mean, truly move into the mentality. That, in itself, takes a very long time.

~CGH~

Randi
02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I have to agree with everyone else - after a while - you may like the smell of it - but, it just does not taste that good. For me, it took about 6 weeks and then I decided to splurge and had some fast food, it made me sick. Honestly, it really did - I was sick to my stomach for hours. The closest thing to a greasy burger that I can eat is a veggie burger now... LOL

Glory87
02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
I did it. For me, it's much easier to just say "no, I don't eat that." I don't eat: fast food, sugary soda, packaged baked goods, potato chips, most fried foods, and cream-based sauces. I call them my "forever no's." I did it cold turkey in July 2004. I was so excited about my new lifestyle change and the pounds melting off that I didn't think about missing it when I started. Now that I don't eat it, I'm kind of proud and happy I don't eat it and I really don't miss it (maybe I miss McDonalds french fries sometimes).

The problem for me, all that food "triggers" and is just slippery slope food. If I eat one McDonald's fry or a Thin Mint girl scout cookie or a chip, I want more and more and more and more. I am not easily satisfied with a "serving" of those foods. If I eat too much of it, I don't like the way I feel (physically and mentally). I'd rather just skip and feel good about myself.

I found plenty of other foods I like just as much (some more, some less). It does make my life sometimes a little more difficult (like at a work event, where they bring in pizza or a conference where they serve bags of chips). I just try to always have my own healthy food on hand.

Also, I had to look at what I COULD give up and what I could NOT give up. I don't miss fast food shakes, I would miss dark chocolate. I don't miss fast food burgers, I would miss red wine. I don't miss Pringles, I would miss a small serving of really good ice cream (eaten out, ice cream is still not welcome in the house!). I kept the stuff I would miss and got rid of the stuff I would not miss. And honestly, I never did like cream-based sauces, so that was no big loss :)

Eves
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
The good thing about "not eating that kind of stuff" is that after a while your body realizes it's bad for you.

I had a burger for the first time in a year or so last Saturday and my stomach just couldn't handle it. It had the "Danger Will Robinson!" gurgles, the "ABORT! ABORT!" hiccups, the "Kill it with fire!" heartburn, followed by a finale the next morning that defies description.

Never again.

Ten Years
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Throw out the coupons the same day they arrive in the mail.

PLAN AHEAD so you don't get stuck in that "I am in a hurry and need something fast" excuse. It doesn't take any longer to pack a quick healthy lunch in a brown bag at home than it takes to swing through the drive-thru.

You can make lunches and dinners and quick snacks for your child that he/she will find just as tasty and fun as fast food. You would be amazed at how excited a kid will get by a pear and an avocado cut into shapes with tiny cookie cutters.

That being said, I DO have serious cravings for Taco John's breakfast burritos. I am SO glad there isn't one on my way to work! I indulge in one about once a month during my period because it feels so decadent and naughty!

Thighs Be Gone
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Ten Years..too funny on the breakfast burritos. I was watching TV with my hubby recently when we saw an advertisement from a local chain offering breakfast burritos for .99. When I saw it I yelled, "OH, no they "DIT-ENT!" They were such a part of my life for so long--the piles of cheese, pork sausage and egg...Mmmm, and all topped with salsa! I make a better version now at home--every bit as good and pretty low cal. in comparison. (Turkey sausage, egg whites, lowcal cheese)

You are so right about the pack ahead thing. In a pinch I throw in an apple and an orange in my purse and run.

Glory87
02-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I definitely think planning is key for me. I don't have to eat fast food because I plan all my meals for the week on Sunday. I am NEVER out just driving around and hungry, I always know what's for lunch :)

featherz
02-05-2009, 05:54 AM
I still eat sweets now and then when on maintenance, but I can tell you after eating well for so long (maintaining now 4+ years) you can get seriously ILL if you eat junk. That tends to make you pass those nasty food places by!

Rosinante
02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
I like the idea of getting into a "I don't eat that" mentality, it feels like being more in control rather than constantly having to resist something that I do eat.

I don't very often eat fast food - but that's for cost reasons, and also for the ethics of the welfare of the animals that go into the burgers/wings/etc, I ADORE the taste, and it's a real slippery slope for me too - I can resist for a year, then one taste and I'm gone, it Never tastes yucky. I do eat unhealthy though, my favourite meal would be a huge amount of hot roast pork, the fatter the better, loads of crackling, with potatoes and parsnips roasted in the fat. mmm, drooling as I write it.

Because I'm just at the start of a renewed putsch, following a 51 month lapse, I'm going to work towards 'I don't eat' and am starting with 'I'm not eating X today', a day at a time.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I just have to ban those foods from my home. For me, I have never developed a dislike for the junk food. It doesn't matter how long I eat clean, all it takes is one taste and I'm in love all over again. I''m addicted. Plain and simple. Nothing has ever been too sweet, too greasey, too salty. I may feel like crapola afterward, but I enjoy every single taste while I'm indulging.

rockinrobin
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
"I just don't eat that kind of food".

Do you know this is EXACTLY what I told myself from DAY ONE of my weight loss journey? Day ONE. Beause I so badly wanted to be one of "those people". Those self aware, health conscious, health minded people. That was more concerned over her health and what she was putting into her body really, really MATTERED.

I would see "those foods" and want them, but I told myself, over and over again "I just don't eat like that anymore". "I just don't eat like that anymore". "I just don't eat like that anymore". And so I didn't.

Sometimes, you just gotta fake it, til you make it. Mantras and self talk has helped me immensely. You tell yourself something long enough, you BELIEVE it and it happens.

Though there were certain foods I was no longer eating, I made certain to ADD in lots and lots of absolutely satsifying, DELICIOUS, healthy and lower calorie foods. That was a HUGE factor for me.

TJFitnessDiva
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
yeap you will get there.....I have no desire to eat the stuff I did before and you know what? It's an awesome feeling to have that power! :)

midwife
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Have your read Fast Food Nation? That helped me see fast food in a new light.

But here's the other thing....I've been thinking about barriers we erect for ourselves lately.

Think about yourself at your goal weight, with fabuolous jeans, it is so easy to move, to bolt up a flight of stairs, to tuck in your shirt.....you look awesome, you feel awesome....you are so proud of your hard work and what you hav accomplished.

And now think....are you going to not reach your goals for fast food? For real? Something greasy and fried and cheap that will clog your arteries and that is prepared by a 16 year old you don't even know if he or she washed his or her hands?

What are the reasons that are worth NOT reaching your goal? Can't think of many that are worth it.....fast food is definitely NOT worth it.

Being a healthy weight is far more delicious!

ChocLabLover
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Thank you for this thread, definately a real inspiration! It has helped me put everything back into perspective.

TraceyElaine
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
You can say "I don't eat that kind of food". That's the kind of decisions you get to make for your self. You may like them but because you know they are bad for you you can say "I don't eat them". In time it will get easier.

MugCanDoIt
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
This makes me think....I am so sure my inlaws are so tired of hearing "she cant eat that".....I am vegetarian(a hopeful vegan), a diabetic, and am eating low calorie/low fat as well. I kinda have a feeling it makes them mad at times, but I dont care. They actually try to include me when planning meals that we have together, but for example, they will want to cook gravy for biscuits. Well I will tell them I cant eat that cause they make it out of meat grease. So my father in law started making it without the meat grease they made their bacon or sausage from, but instead, makes it with LARD.

So there I sit at their house, they have especially made changes in they way they cook for me, and it still isnt something I can eat cause LARD is animal fat. And my niece, bless her heart, cooked a bunch of vegetables one dinner, but she seasoned it all with LARD.....So I have just started staying home when they have dinners. I dont want to hurt their feelings, but I just have to do this for ME....not the rest of the family. I am seriously thinking about bringing my own food to the next cookout, like veggie hotdogs or vegetables to grill or something. Because, seriously, "I DONT EAT THAT STUFF ANYMORE!" and I'm darn proud of myself!

cfmama
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
rockinrobin: TOTALLY "fake it till ya make it!" I love this and it's so true in my case.

SnowboundChick
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
MugCanDoIt - that is a fabulous idea to bring your own food. that way you can still visit and they can have the food they want. you do have to do it for you!

corazonas
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
i think i'm the one odd man out here! i've never even considered saying 'i don't eat that' because truth is I EAT EVERYTHING! i'm proud to say 'i don't crave that' or 'i don't need that to feel good' or EVEN 'i don't WANT that' but wow, to say i don't eat that just sounds insane for me personally. i'll never give up anything i love but i HAVE learned how to not rely on it.

not trying to piss anybody off! haha

hautbois
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I just have to ban those foods from my home. For me, I have never developed a dislike for the junk food. It doesn't matter how long I eat clean, all it takes is one taste and I'm in love all over again. I''m addicted. Plain and simple. Nothing has ever been too sweet, too greasey, too salty. I may feel like crapola afterward, but I enjoy every single taste while I'm indulging.

I'm like that too, Rhonda! Sometimes when I pass by a FF restaurant, I have to picture my scale or imagine a thinner me until I pass the danger zone. Even during my past weight loss, I never develop that dislike for the junk food.

rockinrobin
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
i think i'm the one odd man out here! i've never even considered saying 'i don't eat that' because truth is I EAT EVERYTHING! i'm proud to say 'i don't crave that' or 'i don't need that to feel good' or EVEN 'i don't WANT that' but wow, to say i don't eat that just sounds insane for me personally. i'll never give up anything i love but i HAVE learned how to not rely on it.

not trying to piss anybody off! haha

Well, the year that I was losing, and I had a LOT of weight to lose, the only way that I was going to do it was to have definite NO's. I mean if my goal was to lose weight, then why in the world would I eat "those" foods? They certainly wouldn't get me to my goal. They certainly wouldn'tbe of any HELP me to get there. Or make me that slender, trim, fit and HEALTHY person I so longed to be.

When I said to myself that "I just don't do that anymore", I was also speaking about the frequency and the volume of the foods that I was eating. I knew that down the road, evenutally, I could add in this and that, but for the time being, my job, my MISSION was to lose weight. So yup, some foods were off limits - temporarily. But that's okay. I LIKED being that kind of person. I LONGED to be that kind of person. Who eats "those" foods on rare occasions. Once in a while. Not on an every day basis or even once a week. Another thing I told myself, "there will always, ALWAYS be good food around, I can have it another time. But now, RIGHT now I need to focus on my health and get this weight OFF". And once I made the decision to get it off, it couldn't be soon enough. So yup, "I just don't do that anymore". So, I didn't. :smug:

Michelle98272
02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Like Rodeo Girl...I've not cut anything out of my diet completely but I have reduced my frequency of eating out. I used to eat at McDonald's 3-4X a week. It was always burger, fries and a large diet. LOL Now, I eat there about 2X a month and order a single snack wrap with grilled chicken and a small diet. If I am with my son or bf, I will have 10 fries if they feel like sharing.

I'm interested in the whole "clean" eating but haven't gotten there yet. I rely a lot on convenience foods to stay OP: string cheese, 100 calorie granola bars, yogurt, etc...so switching to all non-processed or less processed will take some time.

I can say, i am the kind of person that says, "I don't eat that kind of food very often".

katiecron
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
6 weeks ago i made a list of affirmations and goal perspectives. this idea was totally the top of the list. i just wanted to be proud of my health choices, even if i was a bit snobby about it. ;)

Merksie
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking from one former smoker to another!

I really think getting to the point where you just don't eat stuff like that is very similar to getting to the point where you just don't smoke - it takes a long time, but eventually you simply do not have the desire to do it again despite vivid memories of having enjoyed it very much in the past.

rockinrobin
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm interested in the whole "clean" eating but haven't gotten there yet. I rely a lot on convenience foods to stay OP: string cheese, 100 calorie granola bars, yogurt, etc...so switching to all non-processed or less processed will take some time.

I can say, i am the kind of person that says, "I don't eat that kind of food very often".

Michelle, your food choices will evolve. Mine surely did. And they keep on doing so. Wanting to make every precious calorie count is basically what did it for me. Not that I "refuse to eat those foods". I'm not satisfied with the 100 calorie packs. They don't fill me up and they leave me clamoring for MORE 100 calorie packs. So, I had to find something BETTER (more gratifying & more staying power) to do with my 100 calories. So, I tried an apple. And I sliced it, in rounds instead of wedges. Like chips. And I sprinkled on some cinnamon. Yumm. Takes much longer to eat then those 100 cal packs. Which is more satisfying right away. AND it's got staying power - since it's got fiber in it. Oh and it has other nutrients in it as well. And water.

But I do like what you said, "I don't eat that kind of food very often." Because some times I DO eat "those" foods. Just not very often ;) . Oh and "those foods" are different for everyone. If I never ate fast food again, I'd be perfectly fine with that. If I never ate ice cream or cheesecake again - not so much.

corazonas
02-05-2009, 10:00 PM
robin you're totally right! i think my thing was that i didn't limit anything and then once i got to a certain point i just didn't WANT it anymore. so even to this day- if i want a double quarter pounder with chees i'll have it! but even just thinking about it grosses me out. haha now i PREFER the healthy options out there so it's REALLY not that tough of a choice...

don't get me wrong though... i still have triggers! but i think i idealize that food and THINKING about eating it is way more appealing than actually EATING it. but put me in a locked room with a family size bag of plain lays, a jar of ranch dip, and a chocolate cake and we might have some problems....

Rosinante
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Got to the supermarket for the first time in a while today - roads still quite icy but the dogs needed Their food! (For me, if all else fails, I make up some hot and sour style soup (80 cals) and throw some bread mix in the breadmaker and I'm ok for days).

Anyhoo, picked up the dog food and some veggies for me. Up and down the aisles. Looked at some of the yummy processed chicken meals. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'. Looked at the wonderfully fat pork joint that would have roasted up a treat. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'. Looked at the delicious German chocolate. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'.

Today it worked, thankyou for the tip.

zerocool
02-07-2009, 01:00 AM
I had an idea today while driving past a Mickie Dee's. I am going to start saying "I don't eat things like that."
I know in my heart that I would love a double quarter pounder w/ cheese, super sized fry, and an extra large chocolate milkshake (& a diet coke to wash it down);).
But from this day on if asked, or even if it's mentioned, I will say "I don't eat things like that."
Mind over matter.:carrot:
Thanks for making this post I think this could help me. :D

futuresurferchick
02-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Count me in as someone who "doesn't eat that kind of stuff.. often." If I make things off limits, it just makes me want them more.

Magrat
02-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I don't have any forbidden foods but there are things I don't eat now and seldom did in the past simply because I just don't like the way they taste or how they make me feel afterwards. I don't like greasy food so I don't eat fast food hamburgers. I like Chinese food but the msg the restaurants put in makes me feel bloated and queasy the next day. If I want Chinese I make stir-fry at home. I do eat pizza about once a month but I blot the h**l out of it with paper towels beforehand (if it still seems greasy I don't eat it.)

At work events like potlucks and holiday parties I'm known as the picky eater who comes in, looks at the food and then sits down with a can of diet coke. People have learned not to pressure me to eat because I just won't.

kiki100
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
About 2 mos ago my hubbie and I were driving past this greasy spoon dive (you know...the kind that always has the BEST burgers and fries!! LOL) that advertised a great lunch special. My husband who has comitted to cutting back but isn't as serious about it as I am ooooh's and ahhhh's over the deal (like the "oh what I wouldn't give for that lunch!!" sort of way) and I said "I don't eat that stuff anymore". I said it and I meant it. It really didn't appeal to me and I think that's because of the progress I had made and the consequences food like that has on my weight, my health and my immediate reactions to it.

What I love about making choices like this is that not only is it changing my life but my kids too! Eating at McDonald's wasn't that much of a treat for them and now it is! I mean kids like McD's I get that...but once a month is plenty. When we go I will have a chicken snack wrap with no sauce or cheese and a diet coke and than have a salad at home later. I still get to sit with them and enjoy our time together...but basically...I still "don't eat that way anymore".

Merksie
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
. . . and I said "I don't eat that stuff anymore". I said it and I meant it. It really didn't appeal to me and I think that's because of the progress I had made and the consequences food like that has on my weight, my health and my immediate reactions to it.

What I love about making choices like this is that not only is it changing my life but my kids too!

You said it so well! That's exactly the way I feel about most foods that don't fit my personal definition of "eating clean" . . . they genuinely don't appeal to me at this point. Unfortunately, too-large quantities of foods that do fit my definition still do appeal to me :dizzy:

And congratulations for setting such a great example for your kids.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-07-2009, 08:09 PM
"I just don't eat that kind of Stuff!"

I just realized that this is exactly the way I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago. Anytime I had a craving, I told myself "You're not a smoker anymore." Hmmmm....I never thought of applying this to the weight loss.

rodeogirl
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
What RockinRobin said really resonated with me. I find myself guarding my calories jealously and wanting to get the most out of them. So for me a lot of junk food isn't enough bulk and/or nutrition for the caloric price tag. That's a big reason why I don't find junk food as appealing anymore. Not enough bang for my buck, so to speak.

Trazey34
02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
hmmmm maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. I've lost 75 lbs. but i still want and LOVE a mcdonald's cheeseburger. Sure, it gives me stomach cramps now but man, i've had 2 in the last year and they were goooooooooood LOL I can't say "i don't eat that stuff" to something I have loved/know I could love again in a heartbeat. It's only easy to wave my hand dismissively about crap i'd never eat anywayz LOL

Lucky87
02-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I want to be one of those people too, I know I'm putting that stuff in my body isn't good for I just need to learn to say no. I used to be a Mountain Dew holic but stopped drinking it but tried to drink it again and it was nasty. I guess I'll take it in baby steps eliminate one food at a time and not all at once.

Rosinante
02-09-2009, 10:35 AM
woohoo! managed the mantra today too. out for lunch with a new colleague. only things on the lunchtime menu were baguettes - nope, had toast for breakfast so don't want more bread; gammon - nope, too processed; fish and chips - nope, too deep-fried; beefburger and fries - nope, too fatty. Had a jacket potato (no butter) with a small amount of mozzarella and a tiny salad. (Would have preferred huge salad but British salad garnishes are really tiny!).
Too be honest, the meal wasn't that great, tho the company was good - but boy, the taste of eating healthily was swe-e-e-t! I guess it was jacket potato with a side of Smug....

rockinrobin
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
woohoo! managed the mantra today too. out for lunch with a new colleague. only things on the lunchtime menu were baguettes - nope, had toast for breakfast so don't want more bread; gammon - nope, too processed; fish and chips - nope, too deep-fried; beefburger and fries - nope, too fatty. Had a jacket potato (no butter) with a small amount of mozzarella and a tiny salad. (Would have preferred huge salad but British salad garnishes are really tiny!).
Too be honest, the meal wasn't that great, tho the company was good - but boy, the taste of eating healthily was swe-e-e-t! I guess it was jacket potato with a side of Smug....

I wish you could see the huge smile on my face right now!!!! So proud of you & so happy for you.

:dancer::flow2::dancer::flow2::dancer::flow2:

Glory87
02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Can I just interrupt and say that calling baked potatoes "jacket potatoes" is about the cutest thing ever. Yes, the skin is the jacket and it's a perfectly reasonable thing to say - but we just say baked potato in the US. So I picture a little spud all dressed up in a coat & tie. It's just so cute!

MugCanDoIt
02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Ive convinced my family that their junk food MUST be put up in the bottom cabinet in the kitchen. That is their cabinet, not anything in there for me. I dont have to see all those temptations unless I open it. Now if I can just stop opening the darn thing! Ugh!

Nada
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I like that "side of Smug". Sometimes a little food snobism is all that gets me through. As in "Those are cheap chocolates--I only eat the good stuff".

rockinrobin
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Ive convinced my family that their junk food MUST be put up in the bottom cabinet in the kitchen. That is their cabinet, not anything in there for me. I dont have to see all those temptations unless I open it. Now if I can just stop opening the darn thing! Ugh!

Mug, that's right - it's "THEIR" food. NOT yours. It's "THEIR" food. NOT yours. It's not intended for you. It's not meant for you. It doesn't BELONG to you. YOU CAN NOT TOUCH IT!!! NO MATTER WHAT. Remember, your very life depends on it. :hug:

Hang tight, you can do this and it will get easier. Like your siggy says, "It's happening - but there can be NO stopping". And it's happening, because YOU'RE making it happen. Like Meg says, "I've come too far to be ruled by a cookie!"

MugCanDoIt
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks RockinRobin, I love hearing from you. You're such an inspiration ya know!!

H8cake
02-09-2009, 01:48 PM
For me it has been a lot about developing habits and limits. I was in the habit of just eating for entertainment before. Now I have my food budget. I only have so many calories to spend each day so I better make them count. Same thing Robin said I guess. Once I broke the habit of eating for fun/just sticking something in my mouth without thinking, it was much easier. Some foods are easier to do without, like burgers and fries and heavy stuff. I really don't like that over-full bloated feeling anymore. The things I have a hard time with are sweets and baked goods. Those are my slippery slope. I have such a hard time just having a little. I try to just have a bite, but more just seems to end up in my mouth once I get started. I'm trying to make those things the things I don't eat. Or like Glory said, I just eat them when I'm out so the quantity is controlled. I think I need a new job, working in a bakery makes it soooooo hard! I've tried gum, and I just make my jaw sore from frantic chewing. Even though I'm not perfect with it when I'm at work, I still have lost most of the weight, so perfect isn't always necessary. I'm always afraid of slipping back into old habits though. That would be a huge cake scrap covered in filling and frosting. Now I have a pinch here and there and try really hard to keep it at a pinch! I keep chanting ... I h8tcake. I h8cake, I h8cake!!!!

Rosinante
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I wish you could see the huge smile on my face right now!!!! So proud of you & so happy for you.

:dancer::flow2::dancer::flow2::dancer::flow2:

Thankyou! That's so nice to hear!

Rosinante
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Can I just interrupt and say that calling baked potatoes "jacket potatoes" is about the cutest thing ever. Yes, the skin is the jacket and it's a perfectly reasonable thing to say - but we just say baked potato in the US. So I picture a little spud all dressed up in a coat & tie. It's just so cute!

hee hee hee hee hee!

I never thought of that! I'll never look at them the same way again!

And hey you! Wow! You have done so well and lost so much! Jolly good show!:carrot: (No, we don't really say that)
You're an inspiration -we Do say that.