Weight Loss Support - Biggest Loser this week *spoiler*- do you believe what Jillian said???

kelly315
02-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sure anyone who watched will remember this, it blew me away. One of the girls who came from working out at home only lost two pounds, and Jillian and Bob both said that only could have been because she didn't work hard.

Jillian said that two things are just BS that trainers tell people to keep them coming back
-the idea of losing inches but no pounds
-the idea of gaining muscle but not losing pounds

She basically said if you're not losing weight, little else matters.

What do you guys think? Do you believe it?

SavingServo
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I think she was just pissed off. Me and my housemates were watching that and two of them are taking a nutrition class and one is taking areobics and they both called BS. And my weight training instructor said the same thing last year when I took a class.

That being said I think if she was working out as hard as she said she would have lost more weight.

I couldn't believe when she said she spent 4-5 hours at the gym everyday but ate bad. Then spend 2-3 hours a the gym and use the extra time to plan your meals and prepare them! It's not rocket science.

dianek
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I think you can lose inches, weight, etc.

I don't like Jillian, she never gives compliments, and if I were there and she got in my face and yelled at me to "just do it" I am afraid I would tell her to %%%%% off.:o :devil:

I know the trainers are trying to get people to exercise and push themselves, but some encouragement would be nice. Maybe they can't do what Jillian can do,????

wildthing
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Well I think what she was trying to say she worded wrong. With muscle gain comes higher metabolism. So she really should of lost more weight if she gained so much muscle because it fuels metabolism. So she should of lost more but I think that Jillian was pissed and she just worded what she meant wrong. There are no excuses and I think that is what she was aiming for but she misconstrued it.

cooperistic
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah I don't know about that. I mean two people at the same height can weigh the same and look completely different because of muscle and tone so I am not sure how she explains that. Like she is a trainer..not a doctor.

But I think what she was going for was that if you only lost two pounds, you couldn't have lost that many inches. I think if you are a lower weight it is more likely that you could lose inches and not a lot of weight but if you have a higher volume of weight to lose, you probably aren't going to ONLY lose inches. That is my guess of what she was trying to convey but who knows, I think she was a bit over the top about it.

mandalinn82
02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think that she was necessarily saying that inch loss is worthless. I heard that statement more as saying "Look, if you were working hard, you would have lost pounds". Since building muscle is SLOOOOOOW, even if she was working her BUTT off in the gym, eating totally clean, and had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man, she could gain 1 lb of muscle a week, MAYBE. That means that instead of losing 2 lbs of fat (which is what the scale said), she lost at BEST 6 (with 4 lbs of gained muscle balancing out 4 lbs of fat lost). Jillian was giving a REALITY CHECK that, guess what, if you were working as hard as you say you were, YOU WOULD HAVE LOST POUNDS ON THE SCALE.

Ultimately, unless you are plateaued (which is unlikely considering she has just started), if you are working on fat loss, you're going to lose pounds on the scale. I think that she was calling BS on the idea that weight loss in significant amounts could be slowed by muscle gains...it just isn't biologically possible. You may build a few pounds of muscle, but it won't be NEARLY enough to "counteract" your fat loss through diet and exercise. And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.

gymlee
02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Jillian is often times depicted as the bad guy on the show due to editing. I don't think she meant it that if you're not losing weight then nothing else matters. For this show, yes, the biggest thing that matters is losing the weight because it's a weight loss show. But I don't thinks she meant it to put other people down who are losing weight at home to feel less if the scale isn't moving. She's more talking in the context of the show.

MariaMaria
02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
even if she... had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man

She's got five kids. I think we can rule this part out.

hotnewspirits
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
haha, this is being discussed on like every part of the forum. I knew it would get a lot of us riled up.

I wonder if Jillian is getting a lot of e-mail about this.

FreeSpirit
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't think that she was necessarily saying that inch loss is worthless. I heard that statement more as saying "Look, if you were working hard, you would have lost pounds". Since building muscle is SLOOOOOOW, even if she was working her BUTT off in the gym, eating totally clean, and had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man, she could gain 1 lb of muscle a week, MAYBE. That means that instead of losing 2 lbs of fat (which is what the scale said), she lost at BEST 6 (with 4 lbs of gained muscle balancing out 4 lbs of fat lost). Jillian was giving a REALITY CHECK that, guess what, if you were working as hard as you say you were, YOU WOULD HAVE LOST POUNDS ON THE SCALE.

Ultimately, unless you are plateaued (which is unlikely considering she has just started), if you are working on fat loss, you're going to lose pounds on the scale. I think that she was calling BS on the idea that weight loss in significant amounts could be slowed by muscle gains...it just isn't biologically possible. You may build a few pounds of muscle, but it won't be NEARLY enough to "counteract" your fat loss through diet and exercise. And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.

I agree. I think she was upset at the fact that she was trying to use as an excuse as to why she wasn't losing weight.

WarMaiden
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.

I absolutely agree with this.

In reality, the woman in question wasn't working very hard if she only lost 2 pounds per week; I'm able to lose 2 pounds per week through a whole-foods diet, watching calories, and exercising for 45 mins to an hour a day. I don't really consider that going all-out or busting my booty for the weight loss. I'm certainly not putting in Biggest Loser levels of effort.

JayEll
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Jillian gets paid plenty and is essentialy a celebrity. Remember, it's a TV show. They probably tell her to yell at them more if she doesn't do enough.

That said, I agree with mandalinn82's take on it. Inches are great if you're trying to look good--but if you're trying to lose weight, you need to drop pounds. And no, muscle does not build up that fast.

Jay

junebug41
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree. I think she was upset at the fact that she was trying to use as an excuse as to why she wasn't losing weight.

I agree. I think her comment was taken out of context. Also, as Mandalinn eluded to, people tend to jump on those excuses right away. I think Jillian was simply frustrated with that and NOT saying that it wasn't possible- she just didn't think it was the case with that particular contestant (and neither do I, for that matter... but they don't pay me anything to say that:p)

chunckymonkey
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Jillian's words really hit home for me..there have been several times over the past few months that my weight flutuated a pound or two which I honestly believed to be muscle gain. For the next week the scale would show loss. I, too, have a trainer and when I get "bummed" about the number on the scale you wanna guess what he says to me...muscle weighs more than fat! I now believe he uses that line to encourage me to keep up with my workouts. But, hearing those words come from Jillian really put things into perspective for me. I have dropped from a size 22 to a size 14 and I'm getting tired - maybe I'm not using the right words but I definitely don't have the enthusiam as when I first started - I think this a slump period for me - anyway, (finally, getting to the point) Jillians words spoke to my heart - WORK AT IT and the weight will drop - no if's, and's, but's and especially no excuses!

When the first girl was crying for she ONLY lost 15 lbs in 30 days - it was Jillian who told her to stop crying for she lost 1/2 lb everyday she was home and that number was something to be proud of!

In short, what we put into ourselves is what we're gonna get out of ourselves. I thought Bob and Jillian were inspiring with being straight forward.

rachinma
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
People come up with excuses galore when it comes to why they're not losing weight. Trainers must get SO sick of it.

I've lost 12lbs in 3.5 weeks and I'm working full-time and only hitting the gym 4-5x a week (for cardio and weight training combined). I'm not saying it's *easy*, but I am not putting in Herculean effort like they are *supposed* to be doing on the Biggest Loser. (Although, I *am in a Biggest Loser competition at my gym, LOL!)

Jillian is right that she wasn't working hard enough.

Eves
02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I remember early last year when one month of low calorie and gym I lost 11 pounds, but, since I was tracking lean body mass and fat I realized that I had lost 9 pounds of either water or lean muscle mass and only 2 pounds of fat. My trainer suggested I add some calories to my diet, I did so and the next month I only lost 3 pounds BUT my lean body mass stayed exactly the same.

I saw those three pounds as a bigger victory.

*yes, I know those Tanita scales don't always get things right, but it was the same scale and under the same conditions: early morning, nothing to eat or drink*

LuvMyMr
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
In reality, the woman in question wasn't working very hard if she only lost 2 pounds per week;
She lost only 2 pounds for the whole month.

gymlee
02-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Well she did say that she had a hard time with food but that still doesn't make sense if she was working out as much as she said she did. She would have had to have overate a ton and most of it would've had to be high calorie food. Whatever the case was, she tried justify it for herself and Bob and Jill just had to come out and bring her into reality that she only lost 2lbs and something at home just didn't seem to be working out for her there. She was probably just going off cliches she's heard before when she was trying to justify it. We all do it which is why Bob and Jill were trying to knock some sense into her. She needed to see the reality of it.

Lori Bell
02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Well she did say that she had a hard time with food but that still doesn't make sense if she was working out as much as she said she did. She would have had to have overate a ton and most of it would've had to be high calorie food. Whatever the case was, she tried justify it for herself and Bob and Jill just had to come out and bring her into reality that she only lost 2lbs and something at home just didn't seem to be working out for her there. She was probably just going off cliches she's heard before when she was trying to justify it. We all do it which is why Bob and Jill were trying to knock some sense into her. She needed to see the reality of it.

I found it funny that by the end of the show at eliminations she all of a sudden was the leader of the pack for jumping Joelle and her denial issues...lol I used to like that team, but when she turned all holier than thou after she had pulled the same crap just irritated me.

ETA...I also have a friend who should be "paper thin" from all the inches her trainer says she's lost...LOL But she still wears a size 20, and justifies her family size bag of peanut M&M's after a workout because she IS losing inches. ;) (Though, I'm sure her heart IS healthier from her workouts)

4me4mygirls
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Lori, that is what bothered me too. Aubrey (the 2 pounds in a month girl) really had no business jumping on Joelle. Pot- kettle- black!

gymlee
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
ETA...I also have a friend who should be "paper thin" from all the inches her trainer says she's lost...LOL But she still wears a size 20, and justifies her family size bag of peanut M&M's after a workout because she IS losing inches. ;) (Though, I'm sure her heart IS healthier from her workouts)

I don't know if this is ok but :lol3: at what you said. You crack me up Lor!

ennay
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.

Ditto. I have people make that excuse for ME since I regained a bit. "Oh, it's just muscle". No, seriously, its not. "Oh dont be so hard on yourself". :dizzy:

I do agree with Jillian. We are talking 30 days on someone who has significant fat to lose. Its not the same as 6 months on someone who is at the end of their weight loss and takes on heavy lifting. I would seriously doubt that she gained more than 1 lb of muscle max. (although one of the BL seasons...I remember about 1/2way through the seasons the doctor telling one of the female contestants that she had gained 11 lbs of muscle since arriving.

ennay
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
hmmm. I was trying to MTA but it wouldnt

I couldnt help but notice at my first appointment with my trainer that my measurements were pretty big. Now, he measured my waist at a different location than I do, which is fine. I went home and remeasured right where he did and by golly in JUST ONE (pathetic candy a**) workout I lost TWO inches!!! The man is a GENIUS.

Glory87
02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Building muscle is really hard work. Muscle does not come from air. Fat does not turn into muscle. Muscle is built from eating right (sufficient calories) and strength building exercise. It takes a long long time. Most people cutting calories to lose weight simply can not build a lot of muscle - where would it come from? The "you're building muscle" cliche gets trotted out a lot on this board - I rarely comment that I don't think it is often true (that is just my opinion). Jillian just said what I feel a lot of times.

beerab
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Reality shows love to take things out of context- I saw that episode and that one girl getting on her teammate I was like dude who are you to talk?!

I won't lie- I've hit a stop- but I know it's my fault because I haven't hit the gym in over a week (sick with the flu) and because when I'm sick I want comfort foods! lol.

But I joined sparkpeople today and so far today been good with my calories- as soon as I can breathe again I'm hitting the gym!

sacha
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Jillian is correct. Too many people use "building muscle" as an excuse for a few extra lbs or lbs NOT lost. Building muscle is extremely hard for men to build, let alone for women. I have been weight training for years and if I could gain a lb of muscle in one month, I'd probably be in some sort of freak show circus. I lift very heavy for my size. My SO will do squats & cleans with 300lbs yet he has a very difficult time building muscle. Muscle does not weight more that fat. A lb is a lb. Muscle is denser. However, muscle can take years to truly make a difference on a body.

gymlee
02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
although one of the BL seasons...I remember about 1/2way through the seasons the doctor telling one of the female contestants that she had gained 11 lbs of muscle since arriving.

I think you're talking about Vicki from season 6. Dr. H said she gain I think 2lbs of muscle. Or I could be wrong and you're talking about someone else. But it's not competely impossible. You can gain muscle while trying to lose weight (i.e. when you have a calorie deficiet) through something called calorie partitioning. It will take the protein and other necessary nutrients from your foods to build the muscle. But in the case of Aubrey, I don't think she could have built that much muscle in 30 days, so like I said before, she was trying to justify it.

beerab
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I have too much testosterone in my blood for a female, and I actually gain muscle faster than regular woman- I worked out with a trainer 9 months and at the end of it I started to get what I call "wrestler neck" omg it was so gross! I was like EW my neck muscles are starting to stick out!

Wrestler neck is where just behind below your neck the muscles start to bulk up: http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/files/images2/chrisbenoit.jpg

That's what I call it anyways lol.

FB
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
:lol: Beerab! You know I'm not laughing at you here - the story is just presented funnily.

I clearly remember a nightmare I had when I first started lifting... my traps got HUGE, major wrestler's neck. I woke up feeling my neck, making sure I was okay, paranoid for months.

mygritsconfessions
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I watch the show too, and have always heard 'Muscle weighs more than fat,' so it this not the case. A pound is a pound? I know muscle is denser, but I always thought it weighed more.

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com

mandalinn82
02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Sandy -

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh, well, a pound. The pound of muscle takes up less space (thus, is denser), but they WEIGH the same.

I guess an accurate way of putting it is, if you have 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat, the lb of muscle will take up less space than the lb of fat...but that's just another way of talking about density. If you took the same volume of fat and muscle (say, 1 cubic foot of each), the muscle WOULD weigh more, but only because it is more dense.

rockinrobin
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Just checked out this thread now.

When you lose pounds (weight), THAT'S why you're losing inches. If it's weight you're looking to lose, losing inches alone is really not sufficient.

In all honesty I cringe and hold myself back for the most part when I hear things like "the scales not budging, I'm gaining muscle, losing inches theory" and the like. Cringe. No one (most) is losing inches so quickly WITHOUT losing pounds.

Sarah C0nn0r
02-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Sandy -

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh, well, a pound. The pound of muscle takes up less space (thus, is denser), but they WEIGH the same.

I guess an accurate way of putting it is, if you have 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat, the lb of muscle will take up less space than the lb of fat...but that's just another way of talking about density. If you took the same volume of fat and muscle (say, 1 cubic foot of each), the muscle WOULD weigh more, but only because it is more dense.

Thank you for wording that so it is easy to understand.
Now Those are words of motivation!

Maybe Jillian ought to borrow you as her translator! ;-)

The Team member was spewing excuses and Jillian knew she had to step on that attitude. There are no excuses. Those contestants have an amazing opportunity. Even if their partner was eliminated they would still stand a chance to win some cash at the grand finale if they really put in the work.

That said, she only had one week at the ranch before going home.
She needs more education about food - just like the Orange Team does.

I really like that she called the gal out on her excuses. Especially since the scale had been stalling for me at that time as well. I felt like I was putting in the work and eating right - but this made me step it up a notch and lo and behold, the scale is now moving again!

This show really keeps me motivated each Tuesday!

beerab
02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
No problem FB- really okay it was disgusting- no female should have wrestler neck, I stopped doing those exercises and it's not as huge as before (thank goodness).

I won't lie I have given excuses but deep down I know I wasn't trying hard enough. I think now more than ever I want to lose the weight and I'm like NO MORE excuses!

Like right now my friend who is 300+ lbs, she's happy with my weight loss- but she asks me for advice and when I give it to her- all I get is excuses "oh well I couldn't do that BECAUSE..."

Like yesterday she asked me what I normally drink, I said mostly water, sometimes some milk, and rarely some juice. She said "oh well I can't do that because I don't like water, and if I have milk it has to have chocolate in it." I am thankful my mom never really bought sugary drinks for us to drink at home- maybe soda with pizza every now and then- but that was it. Oh and milk but I never really liked milk.

I had to hold my tongue when she told me sje found out in 6 months she went from 250 lbs to over 300 lbs (this is according to her doctor) and she tells me she doesn't understand how that's possible when she "never" eats. I was like you drink a 6pack of soda a day! that's 660 calories in just DRINKS!

Okay done with my rant- I'm just so frustrated with her cuz she's a smart and beautiful person- but she's slowly killing herself with all the junk she eats!

nelie
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Out of curiosity, what week was this? Because I decided to watch BL online and the only week they had was week 4. And I didn't see where she said anything like that. Maybe its in week 5?

Icandoit29
02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with wildthing said, and also that she should have spent at least 1 of those hours she spent at the gym working out meal plans and focusing on eating right.

And if she really was working really hard for those 4-5 hours she still would have lost a bit more then 2lbs. I think anyway.

beerab
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Anyone watch last night's? Ug that show always gets me teary eyed and my hubby looked over at me and was like "whats wrong with you?!" lol.

kittycat40
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I have too much testosterone in my blood for a female, and I actually gain muscle faster than regular woman- I worked out with a trainer 9 months and at the end of it I started to get what I call "wrestler neck" omg it was so gross! I was like EW my neck muscles are starting to stick out!

Wrestler neck is where just behind below your neck the muscles start to bulk up: http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/files/images2/chrisbenoit.jpg

That's what I call it anyways lol.

My son's school put on a variey show last week. One boy's mother was his "lovely assistant" for his magic act. She was wearing a black shiny and shortie strapless dress for the act. She was clearly in very good shape and I noted her muscles, biceps, triceps, delts, traps and now that you mention it-- she did have "wrestler's neck."

It didn't look really bad,, just buff. And y'know she loved wearing that on stage. ;)

TraceyElaine
02-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I think far too many people use the old excuse "I didn't loose weight but that is just because I gained muscle" or " I didn't loose weight but I must have lost inches" as way of excusing their lack of effort. I've heard it lots. I think Jillian was just expressing her frustration from that and quite frankly told it like it was. She didn't do the work and it was obvious!