30-Somethings - Diet buddies Feb 09

View Full Version : Diet buddies Feb 09

kaebea
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi diet buddies!
February it is! hope we all had a nice january.

I'm off to a good start. i've had 2 good lap swimming workouts and today i signed up for a personal trainer :) I have my first session next tues.
my weight is down just a little. i have a really good feeling about this being my year to loose weight and get healthy again.

my goal for this month is to keep up my swimming 2 days/week, continue on with tweaking my diet, add in weight training 3 days per week, and the personal trainer guy suggested one more cardio session per week to get me up into my training heart rate zone, or whatever you call it. so maybe, just maybe i'll step onto a stationary machine one day per week. (ugh)

I hope to post some weight loss soon here. any day now, i can feel it!

:goodvibes:flow1::goodvibes:flow1::goodvibes:

P.S.
thanks for all the support, you've all really helped me stick with this! It's been about 6 years since i was at a healthy weight and i've been struggling in all those years since.

WVU Jenn
02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Shew....its been a hideous couple of weeks for me, but Im back and raring to go! Been making great choices in the grocery store, maybe not so many great choices when it comes to portion control, but I am on the right path!
Friday our Boxer Puppy gets her last round of shots and is free to roam so we are going to take her walking every day after work for 30 minutes, so i am sure that will make a difference in my weight! :D Loving munching on my carrots and green peppers during work!
Hope everyone is doing well!
:carrot:

meredithann
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi there buddies! So good to hear that you are on your way to your goals...slow and steady wins the race!!

I am still doing calorie counting on TDP, and working out at least 2 times a week...I am trying to do this every other day, but life is busy! :) I am well on my way to my goal, and this little thought in the back of my mind tells me to push my 150 to 140. What I think I will do is just keep it at 150, and then rejoice at each pound below 150 that I go!! :D

Encouragement to all!:cp:

WVU Jenn
02-06-2009, 08:56 AM
TGIF!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited and nervous at the same time, tomorrow my DH and I start a strict regime of walking the dog EVERY day......she is a Boxer, and to get her to be a nice even tempered dog she needs exercise every day, so we have both decided it will do us and her good to walk her....starting out with 30 minute walks tomorrow....the reason that I am nervous is that I have bad knees and am asthmatic, so i am afraid I may lose my breath or start to hurt before the 30 minutes are through, and I REALLY WANT THIS! :o
If for some reason I cant do 30 minutes at first, I may just do 15 minutes for the first couples weeks, work up to 30, and then main goal is one hour a day. Wish me luck, Im sure it will do wonders for my weight loss! :D

Hope everyone is doing well, the weather is supposed to get strangely warm here the next week or so, right now the temp is 11, so lots of melted snow is coming our way! :^:

meredithann
02-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Jenn---You can do it! Start slow, don't over-do, and you will be able to work up to your goal!:D

Riayn
02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Definitely work up to it. I have fibromyalgia along with some mechanical problems and also have two dogs. I started by walking about 15 mins a day then increased it to 20 mins and so on. I am now walking my dogs an hour a day and feeling great, but it did take a while to reach that point.

I am sure that if you take it slow and steady you will achieve your goals. Also your boxer is going to love all that exercise. :running:

WVU Jenn
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys, the encouraging words helped me get motivated to strap on the shoes and get out there more than you could know!!!! :hug:
I didnt get to walk Saturday, but i made sure that we walked Sunday, and even though my asthma acted up a little, it felt GREAT! Josie loved it too! We did about 20 minutes and Im so excited about it! (also the fact that my weirdo scales I THINK are telling me I am down a pound!) :carrot:
Goal for the week, walk at least 5 times this week and drink more water! :p

CarolinaGirl
02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Y'all seem to be doing great. I'm new here with lots of energy to get started. I joined WW online Saturday and I look forward to seeing results real sson. I also have a Wii Fit and some exercise DVD's that I will be using along with walking too. I look forward to seeing and reading everyones stories and what is working for them.

amber961
02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone! I have been off of here for a while trying to get my ducks in a row. I am having a heck of a time yo-yoing with the same 10 lbs. I just cannot seem to get under 270! Every time I think I am, I'm up 4 lbs. So, I have ordered the biggest loser 30 day jumpstart book to use along with counting calories so I can eat more balanced. I was having alot of pain on my left side, especially when I was working out and my doctor discovered I have an ovarian cyst (nice, let me tell ya) and have been dealing with that.
I am feeling pretty good over all, just irritated that I have a cyst. I'm on a BC pill in the hopes of shrinking it and I'm really hoping that it works. I HATE being on the pill. I have IBS and it really aggrivates my symptoms.

I hope all of you are having a good day!!!

meredithann
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi buddies! Looks like we are all motivated and ready to WORK!!

I have just gotten a 12 week training schedule for walking a half-marathon with another teacher here at school. It is a 2-day off a week schedule, so I have been walking every day. Hoping to take off on Friday and Sunday! I am a little nervous about the 8 and 10 mile walks, but hopefully I will be up to it when the time comes!

Tomorrow will definitely be hard for me...it is the Valentine's party at school...and all of the sweets are so hard to resist! Gotta do it! (Maybe I will bring in some fruit or hard candy to get my sweet fix!) :dust: The thing is, it has been so long since I have had a LOT of sweets at once, I would probably be sick if I had a binge!! :barf: He he, I sound like an alcoholic!

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's day:val1:, and a great weekend!!

WVU Jenn
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH so well with this big wind storm that came through yesterday we didnt get to walk with the dog, but I am happy to say that it seems I am losing weight! Loving my carrots and peppers for a light snack, gotten to the point i dont even mind eating them without being dosed in a dressing or a dip! Now if I can just stop overeating when bored/stressed Ill be good to go.:devil:
Going to an Italian restaurant for Valentines day, so I am determined to stay low on calories until I get there, and staying away from the movie popcorn as well (We are going to see Friday the 13th on Saturday as well)
Hope everyone has a great Valentine's day and a wonderful weekend, been pretty swamped at work so hard to get on here, also my DH crashed our computer at home. I am working an event tonite so Im here til 10pm....Cant wait to eat what the caterer is preparing, LOL:D

kaebea
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
hi buddies,
glad to see everyone still working at it!

I've been doing good at not binging and not eating candy and junk food, and i know that is a huge step for me, but i'm still getting frustrated for not loosing poundage.
I did see a personal trainer at the gym on weds, as planned, and my goal is to go again after work and do my routine she had set up for me. :) yay

So amber, i feel ya. but it looks like you've come a long way so don't get discouraged! i completely understand about not wanting to be on BCP's, i will have 20 children before i will ever consider taking one of those again:D
The ovarian cysts could be part of the trouble for those stubborn pounds, but remember, it is possible! baby steps, small changes, everything counts!

Meredeth, bring in some fresh strawberries perhaps? my advise, don't even touch the candy, it's best not to even have that first bite! Remember, you can add it back into your diet eventually, but for now, just pretend candy doesn't exist! all in good time, all in good time...

jenn, we got that storm too! i couldn't even get to sleep, some still undiscovered piece of something was banging against the fence at every gust of wind! I even ran out side in the wee hours to pick up some debris and secure it, but obviously i did not grab the noise making thing.
glad the dog walkings going well!
have you tried hummus dip with your veggies?

well, keep up the hard work girls, and frank if you are still out there,
kb

meredithann
02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
We got the windstorm, too, but no damage was done, just a couple of scared kids...

I am happy to say that I have not had one single piece of candy today!! It doesn't even sound good to me!!! Yippee! Happy Valentine's Day!!

WVU Jenn
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Happy Tuesday everyone! Had a long and productive weekend! Made excellent food choices, when I didnt get to go out and walk I did some stretching and lifted my small weights, and even made an apple crisp with no oil or butter (used applesauce)
I went to get an ad bulletin today, and passed by the cappucino maker and came to work and grabbed my bottle of water. Im bound and determined to lose at least 10 lbs by my birthday ! wish me luck!
I hope everyone is doing great and staying motivated! Spring is getting near and we all need to embrace it! :-)

amber961
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
hey everyone!
i've been so busy this week. the girl scout cookies have arrived and i have been delivering them-GETTING THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE-all week. now my kids are both sick. my daugher has the flu even though she had the flu shot. my son just has a very nasty cold. i'm very excited because next weekend my hubby and i will be going camping! i have never been and he grew up camping (Eagle Scout) and we will be going alone. we will be joining a group of adults getting girl scout camping trained. i cannot wait!
i'm thinking of buying a gowear fit or a body bugg. does anyone here have any experience? i'd love to learn more, like if it is worth the investment.

WVU Jenn
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
i'm thinking of buying a gowear fit or a body bugg. does anyone here have any experience? i'd love to learn more, like if it is worth the investment.

AHHHHH I love camping! We totally rough it, tents and a picnic table and a firepit with a great over it....LOL thankfully we are expanding, and now the DH has a 4 door to put all our junk in to make it to the campsite, we now have an extra large tent, a tarp to go over the picnic table, a coleman stovetop thingie to use when it rains (it almost always rains when we camp, LOL) and a dog, LOL:D
I must say we gotta wait until at least may to camp around here, where we camp it would be FREEZING right now!
And as far as a gowear fit or a body bugg, I have no clue what you are talking about. have fun! I cant wait til camping season here! :carrot:

amber961
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Bodybuggs are worn by the contestants on the Biggest Loser. They measure lots of things like steps taken, calories burned, etc.

kaebea
02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
amber, not tried either device. i had a step counter once, used it once, never used it again.
imho, they're just money makers for people who want to profit off dieters.
i guess if it motivates you great! some people are like that.
i'm just more a simplicity person. if it's too complicated, i'm less likely to do it. less gear, less equipment, less tools, less confusion. just put on my sneakers and head out the doors the best strategy for me.

been a pretty good month, i can't believe there's only one week left!!!!!
i had dropped a # or 2, but this a.m. my weight was back up. hoping it's just bloating and will go down in a few days.
it'll be a hectic week, i'm leaving on vacation next sat., but i still want to get my work outs in!!!

keeping my fingers crossed that i at least weigh a few #'s less than the end of january! and when i get back in the middle of march, hopefully the weather will have improved to make outdoor activity more doable. then i'll really get working on loosing this weight!!! would be really cool if i was in the 160's by june! yea summer!!!!! hopefully i can actually wear shorts this summer guys!

badbaum
02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I have just gotten a 12 week training schedule for walking a half-marathon with another teacher here at school. It is a 2-day off a week schedule, so I have been walking every day. Hoping to take off on Friday and Sunday! I am a little nervous about the 8 and 10 mile walks, but hopefully I will be up to it when the time comes!

Hey good luck! I am training to walk a full marathon! I have run (well really jogged) 2 half marathons before. I have gained weight since then and have always wanted to do a marathon, but 2 bad ankle sprains and just not having anyone who jogs at my pace wasn't very motivating.

So I read about walking marathons in Oprah and here I go. I have done 6 miles a few times, today I do 8!! Good luck with yours and wish me luck! :D

kaebea
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi girls,
just wanted to post real quick, i will be on vacation the 1st 2 weeks of march, so i'm busy with getting ready to go!

but seeing as its almost the end of feb, i wanted to post that my weight has budged!!! from being ~180-181 to ~178ish! not huge, but at least I'm below the 180's. it's always a motivator to be in a lower weight "decade" if that's what you would call it.

i started seeing a weight trainer and that went very well. averaged about 2 sessions per week which i will keep up when i get back, and have also kept up with swimming about 2x per week.

when i get back in march, i'll reevalute and post some new goals. tentatively they will include more outdoor workouts weather it be walking or running.

I also cracked open the book 'New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women'.
gives alot to think about and the author is a men's health magazine writer, so it's quite amusing the things he writes comparing men and women.

I really like the weight training so far, and can tell that it has helped jump start me back into fitness!

see you all in march and then we'll really start loosing weight and getting in shape :)

Rockstah
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Hello all... I'm new and lost... :-) Actually I'm just looking to trade some support and positive attitude for some in return. Am I posting in the right place for a buddy?

meredithann
02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Rockstah...You are definitely in the right place!!!

Badbaum...good luck on your walk!

Kaebea...Great job on the weight loss! You go girl! (Have fun on vacation, I am a little jealous!)

I have walked my training schedule, and then some lately...and I am starting to see results. Not on the scale (been the same weight since the beginning of Feb and you don't want to get me started on that!) but more in my clothes and in my attitude toward working out. On my 'off' days, I almost feel like something is missing. I usually end up doing something else, like yoga, pilates, or just some crunches...If you would have asked me in December about that, I would have just laughed at you from my spot on the couch!!!:D

One more day of February left! Spring is getting closer!

WVU Jenn
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Hey everybody!!!!! Im excited to announce that i FINALLY snagged a treadmill out of the ad bulletin, FOR $40.00:carrot:
I think it is going to make a tremendous difference in my weight loss.....I hope to lose 5 lbs by my birthday....which is the end of this month, so wish me luck!!!!!
Been dong a little bad on that crutch I get into where I stay within my calorie intake, but dont get enough fruits and veggies, its just so hard when you work hours are weird and you hit the ground running everyday....its so much easier to but a coffee and a mcmuffin than to get up early and make an egg white sandwich or slice up some strawberrie in some cereal....but Im determined and I WILL get back on track!:o
Hope everyone is doing well, and staying warm! LOL

squeak351
03-04-2009, 12:53 PM
$40 for a treadmill that's incredible! Is it in good shape? I sold my treadmill a couple of years ago after I had my Left ACL repaired (twice!). I tried walking on it and I always got dizzy, then I had knee trouble and ended up just hanging clothes on it. I sold mine for 100$, the girl didn't pay me ( she WAS a friend) a couple of weeks later she moved and I found out she had left it at the house. It was trashed and didn't work. When I sold it to her it was like new and only used a handfull of times. I would love to have it back, but oh well.

How's the dog walking coming? Boxer's are so cute I love their faces. I have a hyper beagle that needs lots of walking. When he's not walked he tends to chew and dig holes in my yard.

amber961
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey everyone!
My very first camping trip was definitely an experience! I have never been camping, and had no idea what to expect, but I set up a tent, built a fire, cooked in a cardboard box and on a tin can...and got eaten alive by sand gnats! My arms and legs look horrible, and apparently I am ALLERGIC to them! I am now covered in pink calamine lotion and popping Benadryl every 6 hrs, trying to make the bumps go away faster. Luckily, they did not start to itch or swell until after I came home. I thought I was gonna be lucky-not! The weather was perfect with a high of 80 and a low of 50. Luckily we only had to camp out one night because the weather drastically changed. The temperature dropped drastically, with the high only getting in the 40s and the lows in the 20s. It was still a wonderful weekend. Meanwhile, it snowed back home (which it NEVER does) and my kids had so much fun playing out in it.
Slowly but surely I am getting my ducks in a row and I have decided that I will no longer allow myself to make any excuses for not staying on my diet. What I put in my mouth and the amount of time I spend exercising is up to me. I am trying to figure out what is gonna work for me this time. I have changed my goal for August 2011 and will be 150 lbs by then. I know that this will be a slow journey, and that I will stumble, but this trip showed me that I have GOT to get into shape. I camped one night, just one, and was so miserable. My weight really gets in my way. I just cannot get around easily and I do not have the energy to keep up with what all I want to do, either.

I am tired of being my own obstacle.

squeak351
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Amber that sounds horrid! Sand gnats. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am not much of a camper! LOL Dh asked me to go I said only if I can take my hairdryer and my bed. ;) So he takes DD instead with him and I stay home. works for me.. lol

Committing to your self is the first step. One loss at a time and eventually you will reach your goal. That's what I keep telling my self, it's so hard, everyday a stuggle but I decided what was better that cookie, cake, etc. or buying smaller clothes and getting around better. Just stick to it, I know you can do it!!!!

amber961
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Amber that sounds horrid! Sand gnats. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am not much of a camper! LOL Dh asked me to go I said only if I can take my hairdryer and my bed. ;) So he takes DD instead with him and I stay home. works for me.. lol

Committing to your self is the first step. One loss at a time and eventually you will reach your goal. That's what I keep telling my self, it's so hard, everyday a stuggle but I decided what was better that cookie, cake, etc. or buying smaller clothes and getting around better. Just stick to it, I know you can do it!!!!

Thanks so much for that! And, on a personal note, you should try camping. My idea of roughing it used to be no cable TV or internet, but last weekend totally changed that. I slept on the ground, in a sleeping bag, in a tent, and it was WONDERFUL. I never in a million years thought I would feel like that. This weekend proved that I really can do anything at all, but it is much harder being the weight I currently am. It will be easier (and alot cheaper camping) for us to travel when I am at my goal weight. I refuse to let my weight and lack of being physically fit stop me from doing anything. I can change my weight. I can change my strength levels. I can be a better me. Today I worked out for an hour, the first time in 22 days, and I missed it! I missed who I am when I am eating right, exercising and taking care of myself!!! :carrot:

squeak351
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
lol Me? camping?? hohohe nope, I have serious issues with things that crawl. I also have fibromyalgia and fear sleeping on the ground would cause me all sorts of pain. I have hard enough time sleeping in the bed. I do like to go hiking though and I love nature just don't enjoy spending the nights in the woods. I also am a big weenie and am scared of the dark. I will just take your word on how wonderful it is!!!

amber961
03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
lol Me? camping?? hohohe nope, I have serious issues with things that crawl. I also have fibromyalgia and fear sleeping on the ground would cause me all sorts of pain. I have hard enough time sleeping in the bed. I do like to go hiking though and I love nature just don't enjoy spending the nights in the woods. I also am a big weenie and am scared of the dark. I will just take your word on how wonderful it is!!!

Honey, I ain't gonna lie, that ground was ROUGH and I ached for about two days after the trip, but it was amazing waking up and being outside. It was beautiful. I also HATE things that crawl and fly (covered in sand gnat bites, still!!) and we kept hearing raccoons fighting all night (sounded like monkeys, no joke), but honestly, it was so completely worth it. Now, I am way too old to go and pee in the woods, so I was grateful that we had bathroom facilities and even HOT showers at the place. Did I mention I slept with a flashlight?? lol
I hope that you are coping well with fibromyalgia. I understand it is a terrible thing to have, as members of my family have it. I have PCOS and PMDD which are their own curses. I'm hoping the weight loss will help ease my symptoms!