Weight Loss Support - I want to lose weight to look good for....

JasonsLea
02-04-2009, 03:08 AM
MYSELF!

This guy wrote a blog about how he exercises for health but a female friend of his only exercises/eats right to look good for guys. Sadly, I've read many blogs/posts by girls who are doing the same thing.

It's a foreign idea to me. I have extreme low self esteem but oddly enough, male influence has nothing to do with me wanting to lose weight. The way I see it, I'm the one looking in the mirror everyday, I'm the one buying and wearing the clothes. Sure, outside admiration might be nice but when I think about buying smaller clothes, I see myself looking in the mirror and smiling for the first time. I want to be able to put something on and tell myself 'Damn, ma, you are hella sexy!' Screw the guys, they come and go, but Shari will be here always! And Shari wants to love herself.

So tell me, do you want to lose the weight for yourself.....or someone else?

kate1970
02-04-2009, 04:02 AM
I do it for myself and for my health. I like to look good for my hubby too but my health comes first.

JayEll
02-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Kate1970! :congrats: Good loss!

It's for me, me, and me. In my opinion, it can't be any other way.

Jay

luvtolose728
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I want to lose weight so I'm no longer disgusted by when I look at myself in the mirror, to enjoy things in life that weight makes harder, and to become a healthy person in general and for my job since it requires people to be in good shape.

Viktoria
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
I want to wear pretty dresses.
That sounds really narcissistic, and yet my mind is made up. Getting generally healthier is, of course, a close second.

tkm256
02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I want to wear pretty dresses.

Hee, this is exactly what I tell my bf. He always thinks I'm losing weight for him (or for other guys) and goes out of his way to tell me I'm sexy/beautiful/perfect as I am. Honestly, I don't think guys care as much as we do--there's like a 30 pound buffer in which we're considered attractive no matter what. It's really for us.

ronni62
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
It's for me, for my health, and so I'll be here a loooong time to watch my boys grow up and give me grandkids and get to enjoy them too! And, so I can feel better about myself and have nicer-looking clothes (and maybe cheaper too, since regular sizes cost less than plus-sizes:D). Good question, by the way!

MBN
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
For me it's all about feeling good, being healthy and strong. Looking good is just an ancillary benefit. (but that doesn't suck either). And it's definitely for me, although my DH loves it too!

krock614
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
For myself and my son. My hubby says I'm fine the way I am,but I want to be healthy for my son and myself.( I guess my husband too.)

FB
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I lose weight, eat right and do a wee lil' cardio to be healthy but but but lift weights purely to look really good. It's the cheapest plastic surgery ever! It does feel good too - but looks are the lifting motivation.

I started losing weight for my 4 year old son, he was the kick in the pants. Love that little guy up. It's been a GREAT influence on him.

Priscatip
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I am losing weight to be healthy, of course, that's always important - but really, deep down, it's so that I could fit back into all those cool clothes (my favorite pants!) I bought in college, and so that when my friends post their wedding pictures on facebook no one goes 'wow, priscilla really chunked up after we graduated' and so that my little mii on wii fit won't be so chubby. :)

Robin41
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I lost mainly for my husband and then for myself. At my highest weight I was avoiding all sorts of social situations and activities that I knew put him in an awkward position. Should he drag me to some business related social event he had to be at even though he knew it was killing me, or make some sort of excuse for why I wasn't at yet another occasion where my presence was expected?

He loved me fat or thin, but I knew I had to make some changes cause I clearly wasn't being the kind of wife he deserved.

Stonespirit
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
My weight loss has to be for me. I have diabetes (type 2) and losing weight means I might be able to go off the medication. I also really want to be thin for one time in my life!

I was recently able to lose 60 pounds and before gaining that all back I LOVED the fact that I could buy from the not-fat-people rack! Even at thrift stores! FUN STUFF!

My fiancée would love me no matter what I weighed, so it has to be for me that I do this!

TJFitnessDiva
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I want to look good for myself! You know..walking past the mirror and can't help but stop to look and say "DAYUM!! I look H-O-T!" So yeah plain old vanity is my #1 drive...good health is a bonus :)

Love is blind so I know my DH loves me no matter what I weigh....but if I make him drool once I hit goal who's to say that is wrong? lol

Slashnl
02-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm losing mainly for health and to feel better and stronger. But another big incentive is to get to where I can quit shopping in the "women's" section. I want normal sizes, not 1X, 2X, etc. or 22W. Hate it!!

wchs2007
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes I do it for at least three males.. My 3 sons.. I want to be an active grandmother some day.. My DH also.. But when it comes down to it.... They are the motivation I need..

purplecrush
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
First of all, I do it for me. I want to live a long life for my kids. I also wanna look sexy lol. I want to wear normal clothes again! I want to wear shorts and a tank top this summer without wondering if everyone is staring at me! My boyfriend loves me for who I am already, but I would love to make him drool also lol

AngelMae
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I do it for myself mostly, I want to be comfortable in my skin. I also do it for health reasons and I want to be a good influence for my DS!! :) And who dosent want to be hot and sexy!! ;)

sm177
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm doing it for myself! When I look back at my 20's I wanna know I truely lived to my full potential and didn't let weight get in the way (as it has before).

Leeesa
02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
ME ME ME!! I want to feel less like an overstuffed sausage in clothing and more comfortable in my own skin.

Thighs Be Gone
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
100% All About Me!

mystyblue85
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I am losing weight for various reasons and the first one is plain old vanity: I want to look and feel SEXY!! The next one is for my kids...I want to be able to roll around with them and have more energy to play with them...the third is for hubby...he met me when I was 175 and watched me "grow" lol...He loves me no matter what, but I want to be the hot chick he met in high school!! (he drooled a LOT back then)

katiecron
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
totally for me. i am sick of being the fat chick in the room, sick of feeling embarrassed to eat even an appropriate amount of food in front of strangers, sick of being overlooked, ready to fit into a crowd, and designer clothes.
my hubby is super kind about my weight, and for that reason i want to impress him.

jahjah1223
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
For my mirror... Honestly lol

I want to just look at myself in it and go "Damn i look good"!

Windchime
02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm losing mainly for health and to feel better and stronger. But another big incentive is to get to where I can quit shopping in the "women's" section. I want normal sizes, not 1X, 2X, etc. or 22W. Hate it!!

Me too! I'm tired of going to the mall and having to go to the "special store" or the women's department while my friend is shopping for the pretty things in the "normal" department. I hate having to sift through sweatshirts with sparkly kittens on the front or big tent-like tops to try to find a sweater that will fit around my chest without making me look like a house. Grrrrr.

painted lady
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
i lost the weight so i wouldn't feel like a "big girl." i had never really been heavy before, so it was hard to see the sizes on my jeans keep going up and my energy level go down. now i'm in the best shape of my life and i'm determined to keep it that way!

it also doesn't hurt that i have a six pack now.

choirgirlhotel
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I've said this before, but honestly, I'm doing it all for fashion!

I can't wait to wear the clothes I want and the boots/shoes that I want and look kick a$$.

~CGH~

flatiron
02-05-2009, 12:56 AM
MYSELF!

I want to be able to put something on and tell myself 'Damn, ma, you are hella sexy!' Screw the guys, they come and go, but Shari will be here always! And Shari wants to love herself.

So tell me, do you want to lose the weight for yourself.....or someone else?

For the record I am losing for ME ... but at the same time. I don't think there is NOTHING wrong to want to look better for someone you care about.

Why have this "SCREW THE GUYS" attitude??? Wouldn't it be better to reinforce yourself by thinking something more positve?

I think most of us lose weight for many reasons not just one OURSELVES ... to avoid or lessen medical problems, to not be discriminated against on the job, to make sure we are around for our children, to wear all the fashions and clothes we want to wear or in my case USED to wear! LOL! ... what's wrong with wanting to look good for someone too?

JayEll
02-05-2009, 07:14 AM
what's wrong with wanting to look good for someone too?

Nothing's wrong with it, as long as it's a "too." The problem, though, is that we don't know what the other person sees or what they think looks good or what they want, and therefore trying to match that is not really possible. And asking is... well, think about it. "Honey, would you like me to be 50 pounds lighter?" Wow, who would even answer that question! I'd run out the door! :lol:

Some people have their SO sabotaging them or not being very supportive because the SO "likes them the way they are."

So I think what others want, or what we think they want, or what society tells us they want, has to be secondary or even lower on the list.

Jay

Shannon in ATL
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I definitely did it for me - I wanted to feel better, I wanted to look better, I wanted to fit my clothes better, I wanted to wear cute clothes, all of those things. The side benefit is that DH likes it as well. He and I actually just had this same discussion about my recent breast augmentation surgery - he asked if I was doing it for me or for him. Again, did it for me, for a lot of the same reasons. I wanted to fit my clothes better, I wanted to feel better about my appearance, I really like to wear slinky lingerie and wanted it to look good. He said the slinky lingerie reason was really for him - no, it was for me. It is just another secondary benefit that he likes it as well. :)

I agree with Jay - wanting to look good for someone is fine, but it should be a secondary reason. It is hard to find the motivation to do a thing if you are doing that thing for someone else, no matter who that someone is.

georgiad
02-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I confess - I want to lose weight to get male attention. I'm desperately lonely, and as far as I can tell (and I've been single for two years, mind!) guys only want slim girls. And I've had guys tell me that straight to my face. I know that some of you have managed to find someone who loves you for who you are - I hope you realise how lucky you are!

There are so many other reasons though. Some are good, like improved health and fitness. Some are bad, like wanting to wear nice clothes and dance like I don't care and not feel like crap 24/7.

I don't want to be seem as 'the scum of society' anymore. I don't want to be judged or hated anymore.

Puccikat
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm loosing for myself, my family, my future family, and for fashion...i wanna wear all kinds of clothes hehe

Eta: Hey Georgiad, I understand where you are coming from. The dating game is tough, I had a guy break up with me because of my weight. I acknowledge that I have low self esteem, but before I can think of any relationship I have to heal myself first outside and in. I'm not sure about the whole scum of the society thing tho, if you have people in your life who make you feel like that then you should probably not be friends with them. When I think of scum of the earth I think of murderers and rapist, not a plus sized women!

georgiad
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
It's not friends or family, it's the way fat people are treated in the UK. Looked down on, judged, treated like scum. It's sad, but it's true. We're not people, we're a 'problem'.

aware210
02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm losing weight, so that i can be fit and healthy because i want children in the near future, and i want healthy children. I want to be able to set a good example for them in the future. Also i want to feel better about myself, and lets face it.. beeing smoking hot sometimes helps in the self confidence area. Ao if the side affect of me being healthy is attractiveness and my fiance not being able to keep his hands off me.. well that just helps in the making babies area now doesnt it? lol

Gretchy
02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
For myself. I've already found someone who is attracted to me at my current weight, and he'd be attracted to me if I were thin. That's not an issue. I do, however, want to be more healthy, have more energy, and like the way I look when I look at myself.

mygritsconfessions
02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Me! :D My husband loves me for me. I was very heavy when we met and then married. Weight is not an issue for him. I, however, want to feel healthy, feel energetic, light, sexy and good about myself. :carrot:

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com

est1991
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
i want to look good for myself and only myself. i'm tired of not even being 2nd best. i always try to make others feel good even though i have no confidence in myself at all. i'm tired of that. i'm doing this for me and no one else.

flatiron
02-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I confess - I want to lose weight to get male attention. I'm desperately lonely, and

I know that some of you have managed to find someone who loves you for who you are - I hope you realise how lucky you are!

Georgiad you are so right! Those with partners who love them no matter what are VERY lucky!

AND .... I have noticed something since I have gained all my weight. There are a LOT MORE skinny guys who will go for a big girl than there are skinny girls who will go for a big guy!

In fact I have noticed even when a girl is huge she STILL wants a skinny guy! LOL!