Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #1  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Talking Exercise Amnesia

I just had a DUH moment I wanted to share - all day long I was wondering why my hip/leg muscles hurt SO BADLY. Major soreness in a place I usually don't get sore... hm, what yoga poses could possibly do that... we didn't even focus on hip openers... wince, ouch, ugh... WHY???

Then it hit me - after yoga I went on the treadmill as usual, but got bored and switched to the arc trainer instead, which I hadn't graced with my presence in months, upped the resistance and step to the max and went crazy. Only ten minutes, but that was all it took. And now I know why I'm all ouchie.

Does exercise amnesia happen to you, too, or should I be worried?
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #2  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Exercise amnesia happens to me too! This is a regular conversation that I have in my head:

"Why do my thighs and butt hurt so much? I only did some lunges!"
"Oh, and all those step-ups"
"Well, I guess those jump squats couldn't have helped the situation either"
"Or the elliptical"

This always happens to me when I head to the gym without a plan, or maybe something resembling a plan like "today will be leg day!", and then I overdo it. Ick, that's why I plan, plan, plan.

Last edited by Eves; 02-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #3  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

So glad to see I'm not all alone.

And you're so right about planning. Right now, I'm freewheeling it a bit - I didn't exercise much in December and January because I was traveling. Now I'm trying to get back on track now, and it's hard to find a balance. I want to be nice to myself and not overdo it, but then there is that feeling of wanting to get back in shape as quickly as possible and make up for "lost" time.

And I'm incredibly irked by how much my muscles are hurting from my usual workout routine plus a few measly minutes on the arc trainer. I used to spend so much time on that one.

Oh well, it will get better in time.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote