100 lb. Club - Calling all soda-pop addicts

View Full Version : Calling all soda-pop addicts

WatertonGirl
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey All!

I used to be a pop addict and it definately was a factor in my weight gain. In previous attempts to lose it I have had a real problem staying away from soda. Recently I did find a substitute and I thought I'd share! I've switched from diet pop to club soda. It still gives me the fizziness I like and if I need a little flavor I'll throw in a few key limes or a little bit of crystal light! It seriously satisfys my soda craving!!

ohmanda
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I quit drinking it a couple weeks ago and I'm amazed I haven't felt like drinking any. I did buy a pack of Izze sparkling juice, but it's too expensive to drink often.

Dumplin
02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
WatertonGirl-Hi !! I have'nt drank pop since July of last year! That was only a problem for me about 3 days! I still can't believe I have no problem with not drinking soda pop! I was an addict 8-10 can of diet coke or diet mt. dew EVERYDAY now I drink more water! I do believe the sodium in pop held up my weight loss . It does'nt some people but I believed it did me.

WatertonGirl
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Club soda is so awesome cause it's just carbonated water, I've always had trouble drinking straight water becuase I'm sensitive to the minerals in it and they taste terrible, that's why I love club soda! It helps me keep my water intake up. My boss actually turned me on to it! And add a little lime or a bit of crystal light (I use the singles and add about 1/4-1/2 a single per drink, so it's not that much at all) and it's just as good as pop! I drink a litre of fresh water everyday and 1 can of soda water, add a couple of cups of tea in there and I get my 8-10 glasses of water covered!

Hiya Dumplin! Love the nick! :P

JulieJ08
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I do a berry seltzer, and I find it a great substitute for soda. I don't have the inclination to guzzle it in bulk like I do with Diet Coke, and it doesn't make me want to eat more.

corazonas
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I have ALWAYS drank soda! I still love Coke Zero and usually drink one a day. But I used to drink 6! So I'm ok with my diet soda habit even though I know it's bad for me... I used to HATE water and would only drink soda after soda all day long- now some days I forget all about it and just drink water!

Everything in moderation- I'm cool with it. :)

But to get on topic even for a sec I need to try club soda! It doesn't have calories right? I don't really know WHY I haven't been buying it! haha

WatertonGirl
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Nope, no calories at all. It's just carbonated water. So if it goes flat you're left with just regular old water - that's what's so great about it lol.

lindalou0510
02-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I gave up pop last January! I really don't miss it!

I was worried I would miss it, but I found Propel Fitness water, and besides my morning coffee, it's all I drink.

It's sweet, it's very tasty, and you are getting your water in! It's good stuff! I love the orange, berry, and grape. I buy the powder packets, its even cheaper than buying the bottles. You can get the packets at WalMart for 2.97 for a box of 10!

Have you seen the SlimQuick commercial, where the cartoon woman is on the couch, and she says, I've been drinking water for a year...and (her boobs shrink), and that's it!

LOL that's HOW I feel sometimes! I don't drink pop, I gave up alcohol, I drink coffee and water, and yet, I can't break 300lbs!!!!! :?:

corazonas
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Nope, no calories at all. It's just carbonated water. So if it goes flat you're left with just regular old water - that's what's so great about it lol.

that's awesome!!! it's already on my grocery list... haha THANKS! :hug:

rodeogirl
02-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I switched from regular pop to diet when I worked somewhere where pop was free and plentiful (as was beer and chips and donuts lol).

Since november I've stayed away from diet pop and I have no idea if/how it's affecting weight loss but I notice that I feel a lot better without it and my skin is a lot more flexible/not as dry because I'm drinking lots more water.

I do have to get up and pee every 45 minutes some days, but it's worth it.

iminhere
02-03-2009, 02:23 AM
I already gave up food...:mad:

I AIN'T givin' up my POP!

rodeogirl
02-03-2009, 02:37 AM

I'm kind of the opposite. I gave up pop but I didn't give up any foods this time around and so far it's working out pretty well. And I will drink a soda maybe once a month so I didn't even give that up completely.

JasonsLea
02-03-2009, 03:16 AM
I buy the flavored sparkling water from Walmart....totally helps kick the soda craving in the azz! And it's way cheaper....$1.35 for 20 oz of Pepsi, $ .58 for a liter of sparkling water!

Sea
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I have always enjoyed regular coke. I cannot stand the diet stuff. I figured out that I want to loose about 900 cans worth calories. At my current abilities, that translates to using the treadmill about 1350 times. When I think of adding to that number, it becomes easier to not have one.

saef
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't been drinking my Caffeine-Free Diet Pepsi, more because there haven't been any good sales locally on 12-packs than because I made a conscious effort to renounce it.

I miss my soda horribly. I've been drinking Celestrial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea with some Splenda in it instead, but it's just not the same.

Erin2tall
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I was a soda addict, and I still miss it especially when I'm sleepy! I'm not much of a coffee drinker so diet soda was where I get my caffine and the company I work for keeps the fridge FULL of soda. They used to have bottled water too, but due to budget cuts switched to a water cooler. Makes it a bit harder to resist. But I gave it up and that week I think I lost 4 lbs. I do have the flavored sparkling water from time to time and I just use crystal light in my plain water but I never thought about adding it to soda water, I'll have to give that a try! Does soda water have added sodium like the soda does? I'm mostly trying to get away from artificial sweetners altogether but its a slow process with a sweet tooth :D

foxxy511
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I also gave up pop when started getting serious about losing weight back in July. I had been having one every night I was working (which was 4 nights a week) as well as whenever I ate out (which was often!) and whenever I was in a grocery store/supermarket/any place they sold pop. I love love love Pepsi and hate hate hate any diet pops. I missed it something awful at first, but gradually, my cravings have subsided.

I still want it, but it's just not worth the 3 points for a can! I might have to give the club soda a try...but it was more the sugar than the carbonation that I was a fan of, haha.

MugCanDoIt
02-03-2009, 02:50 PM

You made me laugh! I agree! I drink caffeine free diet dr pepper. I MUST HAVE IT OR SOMEBODY WILL BE HURT. :sumo:

Theres no way I can diet (um...I mean do this new way of life) and not have coke. Cant and wont do it. Must have it. :^:

iminhere
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
You made me laugh! I agree! I drink caffeine free diet dr pepper. I MUST HAVE IT OR SOMEBODY WILL BE HURT. :sumo:

Theres no way I can diet (um...I mean do this new way of life) and not have coke. Cant and wont do it. Must have it. :^:

;) I was only HALF kidding! for me it's diet ginger ale....I don't drink that much...not even everyday....but I LOVVE it and it doesn't effect my weight loss.

I used to drink reg cokes and coffee with cream and sugar ALL DAY......omg, the empty calories. I gave them up but didn't lose weight:?:

nowI have ONE coffee w/ splenda and skim milk and only diet soda as a treat.

Sea
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Hve you tried Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel tea. Desert.

madys momma
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
You know I think I might have to try to give up pop for a while...when I first did WW I never drank pop, but then along the way I added pop back in and even though I still lost it definitely slowed down...I attributed that to having been doing it for a while, but maybe it was the pop...I think I am going to give up pop for a month or so and see if it helps.

jademarlene
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I was up to 2 24oz pepsis a day, and I miss it soooooooo much. I haven't had any regular soda for 1 whole month and sometimes it drives me crazy. I wanted to get rid of the caffine more than anything else but losing all those empty calories a day is a huge bonus and drinking all the water.

iminhere
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Hve you tried Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel tea. Desert.

is that teabags? I am going shopping...I am going to look for it.

I find that something hot and sweet at night (like Will Smith?) keeps the dessert cravings away.

jademarlene
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I find that something hot and sweet at night (like Will Smith?) keeps the dessert cravings away.

George Clooney or Richard Gere would do wonders for my dessert cravings:D

SnowboundChick
02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Raising my hand to be included in the pop addicts and Pepsi is my drink. I've gone without it before it takes a couple of days to get it out of my system. I've been drinking way more water and green tea and too much hot chocolate because it's that hot and sweet that helps get over those cravings but alas, I'm drinking too much, so I have to limit that now as well.

iminhere
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Edward Norton (Incredible Hulk) is pretty hot and sweet also.

redreine
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I have been working on finding the right plan for me, and decided to start out by cutting out soda completely.

I would always go to the gas station and get a 32 oz Dr. Pepper every day. I quit soda cold turkey on January 9th of this year, and a week later had dropped 8 pounds.

I haven't slipped up once, and I'm so proud of myself.

I must admit I still want soda sometimes...especially if I'm somewhere that has only soda to drink...but I feel so awesome when I kick the craving. It's a rush!

Keldug
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Ive been drinking 100 oz of water everyday and I refuse myself to have anything like diet soda or whatever unless Ive gotten my water in....I dont miss it Ive had maybe 2 sodas in 10 days.
Now coffee on the other hand,I cannot function without my morning joe,lol

rodeogirl
02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
George Clooney or Richard Gere would do wonders for my dessert cravings:D

Hmm I could take a little scruffy looking Hugh Laurie or Patrick Dempsey as far as that goes.

2ndChance09
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I used to be totally addicted to diet coke. I am much better about it now, but I also am drinking more coffee! I have always been a natural water drinker though so I am hoping that balances it out some lol.

Slashnl
02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I cannot stand the taste of diet pop. When I have had it in the past, I swear it makes me feel a little dizzy. (probably all in my mind) I love Pepsi... I love Pepsi from the fountain at the convenience store.... with lots of ice.

Sigh... I stay away from it now. Water is good!

kandiapplred
02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Hello, thanks for the information. I think that soda has slowed my weightloss in the past. I actually bought a water bottle for my desk this week and so far so good. I have not craved soda because I stay so full of water!

kandiapplred
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Slashnl, I live in the house with two diabetics, my husband and 16 year old son. I have been drinking diet soda for so many years that sometimes the real soda taste like a big cup of sugar. Have you tried Diet Dr. Pepper or Sierra Mist or Orange Sunkist? These are my favorites.

We have something in common, I love a lot of ice as well!

I cannot stand the taste of diet pop. When I have had it in the past, I swear it makes me feel a little dizzy. (probably all in my mind) I love Pepsi... I love Pepsi from the fountain at the convenience store.... with lots of ice.

Sigh... I stay away from it now. Water is good!

rachinma
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
There is no nutritional value to soda, diet or otherwise. So, it was easy for me to give up. Since I'm only consuming foods that are *good* for me.

Even coffee has antioxidants. (Hmm, that sounds a lot like a rationalization... but I'm keeping my coffee!)

Slashnl
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Even coffee has antioxidants. (Hmm, that sounds a lot like a rationalization... but I'm keeping my coffee!)

Rachel! Thank you for that little bit of info! I will not give up my coffee... I drink it black, so no calories... but you just helped me! I will rationalize too!

lindalou0510
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
There are just certain things I cannot give up. Coffee is one of them!

JulieJ08
02-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I think I read somewhere that coffee has been Americans' main source of anti-oxidants :o

Numina
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Coffee also has soluble fiber: instant = 1.8 grams, espresso = 1.5 grams and filtered = 1.3 grams (or some numbers very close to that). So, drinking some coffee might actually be good for you!

Personally, I am a wild cherry pepsi fan (diet) but I am down to 1 can a day so I can drink all this water. I may have to try some of the yummy sounding teas, however. Thanks for the information!