Alternachicks - February Chat

View Full Version : February Chat

Robot
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
January went by so fast. My goal for this month is to get back to working out regularly. In March, I get to go on vacation. I'm kind of dreading it because I'm going to Florida. I am not prepared to wear short sleeves. As of late, I've been self conscious of my arms. Not sure why; they never used to bother me.

WormwoodDoll
02-02-2009, 07:19 PM
My plan is to get back on track of everything.

I am working on a new routine since I started my new full-time job. I will finally have a decent schedule to work with that is NORMAL. No more late nights. I plan on hitting the gym up 30 minutes before work in the mornings and 30 minutes to an hour at night (if I'm up for it). I want to drink at least 64 oz water a day. Eat between 1,400 - 1,800 during the week with just ONE free meal on the weekends.

I also want to get into a sleeping schedule (12AM and wake up at 8AM on work mornings / and at the latest 2AM - 10AM on non-work days). I know it's not the earliest of times, but I have a hard time getting to sleep at 12AM as is. Hopefully these next two weeks will go by smoothly and I will be able to get into the groove of things.

Robot - I don't like Florida to be honest. My mom lives there and LOVES it. It's just the same ol' beaches to me! Have fun otherwise. I'm sure your arms aren't a problem. I get more insecure now (40lbs lighter then my HW) then any times before!

Sunrose
02-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi! Hope it's okay if I join in on your chat!

Robot, you are right that January just flew by! I don't feel like I made as much progress as I wanted to, but I think I set a solid foundation for myself with some habits I am sticking with. My goal for February is also to work out regularly but so far I have only done one day. :( Tomorrow I'll do it for sure! Your vacation sounds awesome, I am totally jealous!

WormwoodDoll, sounds like you have a pretty good plan for yourself and I know adjusting to a new routine isn't easy at first, but you will do fine! You sound like you are really motivated, and once you establish a good routine, your habits will be in place to help you out. I just saw this quote the other day that made a lot of sense to me: "Motivation is what gets you started; habit is what keeps you going." It really hit me and I am working hard to establish habits that will help me when my motivation fails me.

Well, my goal for January was to eat out a lot less, and find healthy food that I actually like, and so I really did succeed in that, even though I only saw about a 2-4 pound loss (I don't know exactly where my weight was on Jan 1). This month my goal is to continue what I set in place in January and begin a real workout routine I can stick to. Day 3 and I haven't done much, so I really need to work on that.

Hope you are all having a great week so far. I am glad we are here to motivate and support each other. Thanks for letting me join your group! :hug:

jandaman
02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
hey ladeez!!

concur about the back on track theme-need to work actively towards improving my health (was out for so long due to back injury and pain)..umm..my schedule is STILL a mess. teaching early days and late nights..it is not working out for me! so i should address that.
good luck on changing ur routine wormwood- messy schedules really do mess w/lifestyle changes.
liked the quote-sunrose! i just wish good habits would magically form over
night and not require so much conscious effort and just plain WORK! :)
and yeah- it is weird how we did not used to take note of our bodies before we got started on our respective journies...my bod was like a blindspot to me..also becuz of i am queen of denial as to my overeating etc. just draw attention to ur attributes (uh, boobs :) )

Gypsy Severina
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm looking forward to getting my schedule together, too. I've figured out that I need time to study, eat, workout, and time to just relax and hang out or have fun. I'm so anal I made a spreadsheet lol, very colorful, too.

I'm just really concerned right now about eating out; I do so much of it and pay a lot of money for stuff that frankly I can make in my dorm for a fraction of the cost! Anyone have suggestions on where to hide my wallet or any ideas on discouraging take-out and delivery?

jandaman
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
hi gypsy! i have the same problem. i have started keeping close tabs on my expenses and saw that what i spend on eating-out in a month equals a whole new outfit(including accessories!) the only thing that helps is to prepare ahead; have everything you need on stock and the time to prepare it. ugh. i usually do very well the first two weeks w/ menu planning, grocery shopping and cooking..but my tenacity peters out after that. super stressful when ur working&studying, right? so i heard somewhere to limit ur misc expenses money but not to deprive urself-so i put 5-10 bucks in a ziplock baggie and that is my eating out budget for the week. and now i make the time! spreadsheets and all (cept mine is v simple as i am pc illiterate:) ) good luck!

Riayn
02-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I am really struggling with my weight loss. I am eating well and exercising but really not losing much weight. I have however lost some centimetres around my waist and hips so I must be doing something right.

This month I really want to get a grasp on this whole weight loss business, what I need to be eating and how much exercise I need to be doing to be seeing the results I want to see on the scales.

mauvaisroux
02-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

Hope you are all having a good month so far. :)

I have been going to physio so my leg is getting better - I can't wait until I am given the go ahead to get back to exercising properly. I would like to get in shape and drop a dress size before my summer holidays.

I agree with all of you on the subject of routines . . . not been very good at that since Christmas . . :rolleyes:

WormwoodDoll
02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
This week has been pretty bad for me. I took some time to get my cravings out of my system. I realized the more you ignore them, the more you just binge on things other then the food you craved.

I'm feelin' good and ready to hop back on the wagon. I realized that things just come naturally. When I eat breakfast I known my portions off hand and eat them without realizing and at lunch I do the same with my food and snacks. I just need to learn to avoid eating out and not having control of my dinner meals. I told my fiance to stop offering and just let me cook! I need to teach myself how to say no to him. :o

So I'm going to take another stab at a 4 week challenge starting tomorrow. Weighing just once every two weeks since I am starting a challenge that calls you to weigh in every week starting the 1st, eating OP, and getting a good amount of exercise. This will be close to the equinox challenge so that should be good.

Sunrose
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all having a great weekend! I love the weekends! :D I had a great walk today with my hubby and pretty much stayed on track with my eating, so I am feeling good. It sounds like we are all working on getting out schedules together and creating healthy habits and routines for ourselves. It sure can be difficult!

Jandaman - are you a teacher? I am just asking because I teach high school. It is a challenge, that's for sure!

Gypsey Severina - I hear you when it comes to eating out. That's probably my number one issue with my weight. There were times that my husband and I would eat out every day for months at a time! It's so easy to just slip back into that again, too. I guess the thing that helps me eat out less is to just plan, plan, plan. I know that if I don't plan, I will eat out! And trust me, I am still no expert on overcoming that obstacle!

Riayn - We are definitely on the same page. I really want to "get a grasp on this whole weight loss business", too. I love the way you said that. It's totally what I need to do!!! :D

mauvaisroux - Hope your leg heals up and you can get back into your routines soon!

WormwoodDoll - Sorry you had a rough week! :( But it really sounds like you learned something important and are ready to jump back on the wagon and go for it! I know you can do it!

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Robot
02-08-2009, 02:44 AM
So far February isn't going so great for me. I spent the day on the couch watching 3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies. I didn't exercise and I ate a lot of dessert.

GlitterQueenRayne
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey all,
I'm new around here and think I have just found "my people." lol. Anyway I'm right there with those of you who need o get back on the wagon. I took a year long detour and am ready to move my butt now.
I need to exercise. It's my dreaded task. That's my goal in finishing out the month.

K8-EEE
02-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Glitter! I hope you'll join the Feb exercise thread here...the other ladies really do motivate me to just DO it!

bopeep
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
February is just a crappy month - no way around it! Winter is too long and it wears us down.

I broke down and ate three chocolate bars last week, and I had poutine the week before that. Ummm.. diet? follow? Partly it was the winter blahs, but mostly it was me feeling sorry for myself. DH was away on a business trip (sniff - missed him), and while he was away, I fell on some ice. I bruised both my knees and got a nice muscle spasm in my neck. Nothing that laid me up or anything serious, but enough to make me feel sorry for myself, and so the willpower went out the window.

I am feeling a lot better now and I can also feel myself getting back into a positive state for food and exercise. My dance class started back up and I have been getting a ton of extra lessons because I have a *very* small part in a show my instructor is participating in. :woohoo: The show will be fun and all, but it's the the extra lessons that are so great (and free) - I have four (!!!) lessons this week, and probably four next week. This is so much fun!:D

Wormwood and Robot - I get you on Florida! My parents moved there several years ago, and they loooove it. Not my kind of place, but it is warm...

BP

WormwoodDoll
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome GlitterQueenRayne!

Good to see your getting back to normal, bopeep! I agree. It must be winter. It's been so nice out lately, I have no excuse not to get to the gym.

I started my 30 day challenge and I did it right. I ate > 1,600 calories and drank about 40 oz of water. No exercise though, but I'll be heading to the gym tonight. I'm feel a bit more confident. I wrote down the things I want to lose weight for and it's motivating me to stay on track. I want to be at 170 by the end of July (around my birthday). That's 50lbs ~ about 10 per month and if I put my whole heart into it, I know it will be doable.

Sunrose
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Everyone!

Well, I feel like I'm on a roll and really getting into an exercise routine I can stick with. Although, I still need to add weight training or strength training of some sort. And my eating has been going really well, too. I am kind of nervous about this weekend because of my birthday and Valentine's Day. I was hoping I could keep it down to one treat meal, but now I'm going to my in-laws' house for dinner on Sunday, in addition to my parents' house for dinner on Saturday. I am going to do my best.

Robot - I'm sorry February hasn't been your month so far. But, I'm sure you can make the second half much better!! :)

:welcome:, GlitterQueenRayne! I am not new to 3FC, but I am new to posting here and it's been great for motivation and support. Hope to get to know you better!

K8-EEE - I'm in total agreement that the exercise thread is very motivational! There have been at least a couple of times that I don't think I would have gotten it done without this place.

bopeep - Glad you are feeling better. I know that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to feeling sorry for myself and giving up. That is something I am determined not to do this time. Sounds like you have decided to keep going and not give up as well. Great job! :carrot:

WormwoodDoll - So glad you are back on track. You are doing an awesome job!!! Keep it up! :cheer:

I am so glad to be a part of your group! :D

K8-EEE
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Confession!! I'm addicted to the ultimate conform-o-chick reality show, Real Housewives of OC! OK Fess up -- anybody else spend their Tuesday nights in Coto de Caza?

mauvaisroux
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome GlitterQueen!

Busy week again at work but I am managing to exercise and eat well. I have switched from coffee with 2 sugars to a cup of plain green tea at breaktime.
Feelin' pretty good about it too. :D

GlitterQueenRayne
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the welcomes I think I'm gonna like it here.
Oh I HATE the OC hosewives show!!! It makes me ill 9more than likely because i live in OC and I don't know ANYONE that way)
I will admit to watching The Hills in secret for a little...shhhh
I got a little exercise in today. I'm now a rider of the public transit system. I have to walk to the bus stop and run to catch buses and trains now. It's built in activity. Now I need to sign up for a pillates class.

K8-EEE
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey I know some OC housewives like that!! My friend from Newport Beach, all her HS friends are JUST like that, LOL. I also TiVO "Top Chef" on the Wed.....damn my college daughter for getting me stuck on Bravo Junk TV when she was home for Christmas! The Hills! Wait I don't know anybody like THAT....HA!~

My husband totally exiles himself in his studio when I have this on he's like OMG THOSE HORRIBLE WOMEN! LOL.....

You know what you're right about the public transit!! I visited friends in France last year and I got so much exercise just walking everywhere -- I'm sure that's a big reason why there's not as many overweight people in European cities, because they're not built for cars like we are here. It's such a hassle to park and stuff over there that people just walk.

Thanks for the welcomes I think I'm gonna like it here.
Oh I HATE the OC hosewives show!!! It makes me ill 9more than likely because i live in OC and I don't know ANYONE that way)
I will admit to watching The Hills in secret for a little...shhhh
I got a little exercise in today. I'm now a rider of the public transit system. I have to walk to the bus stop and run to catch buses and trains now. It's built in activity. Now I need to sign up for a pillates class.

jandaman
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
yeah, it seems that february is just a BLAH month- not yet spring -not really winter..just gray and dreary! but carnival is just around the corner..a good excuse to party like mad starting feb 19

mauvaisroux- am glad to hear ur feeling better...am also busy w/ the physio :) hope u get to exercise again soon!

sunrose- yep i am a teacher-person alright! at the moment i am doing mostly adult education and college.., but they totally still act like adolescents :) what level do you teach?

k8- i am currently living in europe and am at the mercy of public transportation-ur right.. it totally counts as exercise!

and heartfelt shout-outs!!! wormwood doll, glitterqueen & bopeep

WormwoodDoll
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Sunrose - I'm sure you'll do fine this weekend! Don't worry too much about the calories. Just make smarter choices and enjoy yourself. Happy birthday as well!

mauvaisroux - I love green tea. Such a good choice over the coffee and great on calories! My favorite is TAZO Zen Green Tea with Lemongrass & Speamint. I should buy myself a box off Amazon when I get paid tomorrow. Just $25 bucks for 6 packs of 20.

Today has started of well. Ate my leftovers from Ruby Tuesday It was the Chesapeake catch and rice pilaf. Spicy and yummy. And just about 600 calories. Not too bad since I didn't eat breakfast this morning.

Tonight I'm thinking just soup and sandwiches. I could really go for turkey and pepper jack cheese with roasted red peppers and a little mayo. MMMM. Then heading to the gym. Woo!

K8-EEE
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I actually had a salad for breakfast, although I didn't get around to eating it until 10:30! I have so much yummy stuff in my garden right now....green onions, lettuce, cilantro I even have a few (wimpy but better than store bought) winter tomatoes. I put some garbanzo beans and sunflower seeds in it....YUM.

Sometimes I'm in a mood where I actually crave the good stuff! Those days are easy.

bopeep
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I feel like I've been run oner by a snowplow, and it feels good! I was learning to do some floor work in my belly dance class last night (it's the advanced class, and I'm still really a beginner), and hoo boy - those are *not* the same muscles I've been working on for the past several months! :wl: I have another class this evening so I'm sure I'll sleep soundly tonight!

I also shoveled a path from my back door to the alley because I need to clear a route for the meltwater to go - if I don't make the path, the water runs toward the door. It's 10 degrees (celcius) out today, the snow is melting like crazy and we're supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow. The snow was heavy, heavy stuff, and almost three feet deep (snow drifts into my backyard). I'm seriously pooped, but I'm thinking of all the calories that must have burned...

It's funny - I live in a city with a good public transit system. We have loads of buses, commuter trains, and a metro system. I don't even own a car. I live basically downtown, and I walk everywhere. To me this sort of thing is normal - I'm 40 and I've never owned a car. But I still got fat. :o At least I was a fit fat - I could walk for hours, even at my highest weight, just because I'm used to it. I must admit it does make exercising easier, when you're already used to a certain amount of activity. Every little bit helps!

It's almost time for me to dig out my seeds and get started on some of my gardening. Some slow seeds need the extra two to three months of indoor growing time, but it's so nice to get things up and running. When I see the little green shoots I can forget about the three feet of snow out back! It's such a morale booster, and I get to thinking about all the tasty salads I will have with my own tomatoes, basil, lettuce...

BP

K8-EEE
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Bopeep I went to Montreal for my honeymoon trip....what a beautiful city you live in and even as tourists we didn't have any trouble getting around.

Hey one interesting idea I saw for growing seedlings, haven't tried it yet -- you make these little square boxes out of newspaper, just cut newspaper into 7 inch squares and fold them into little boxes, by the time the seeds start to come up you just plant the whole thing, newspaper and all, as it will break down....like the little peet pots that you buy, except, you don't have to buy anything!

WormwoodDoll
02-11-2009, 04:49 PM
bopeep - I live in a city as well, without a car, and walk everywhere. Moving here is how I lost my first 8lbs and lead me to really want this.

ollie27
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
:wave: hi all! those familiar faces and the new peeps i don't know.

so quick update on me if anyone cares. my cat's been really sick and after lots and lots of different tests we found out she has to have her adrenal gland removed. we took out a hefty loan to do so and the surgery takes place on tuesday. (lets not even talk about money issues). there are all kinds of possible things that may go wrong that i don't want to talk about and also we have to send the tumor off to discover if it is benign or malignant. *sigh*

good news is it could be benign, she'll recover from the surgery in a couple of weeks (poor thing will be doped up and have one of those cones on her head) and then she'll be a perfectly healthy kitty bitty and this whole thing will be behind me.

bad news is it's been really difficult keeping up with school and keeping a generally positive attitude about everything. i have been doing really well so far, but ever since she got sick and i got a little behind in school i've used it as an excuse to develop my vegan baking skills and have ate choc chip cookies for dinner for three nights in a row. :o i, too, walk every where so thankfully everything has kind of evened out, but i haven't done a workout in a couple of weeks now.
so....

i feel it's time to start checking in with you all again even if its just a few minutes a day. school is out next week for winter break so i can stay home and take care of booger, but also i want to take the opportunity to get back in the swing of things with working out and exercise. it'll be slow going as i am really off track, but it needs to be done.

why is it so hard to continue with my lifestyle change when life gets rough?

gypsy - thanks for the idea of making a color coded schedule. i'm actually going to sit down and do that tonight.

bopeep - i'm afraid i have the winter blahs. how did you talk yourself out of them, you seem to be in a better place now.

all - please send positive healthy kitty vibes to my sick kitty, booger!

WormwoodDoll
02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
ollie27 - I hope things go well with the kitty. I am taking mine to a new vet tomorrow to get his ears checked out. I bought ear medicine for him and he was fine for two weeks but now it's back 10x worse than before. I was happy to hear that they actually had an opening. Vets are scarce in my area.

ollie27
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks, wormwood. :)

K8-EEE
02-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Ollie, I hope for the best possible news for your kitty!! It's true that like everything else it's easier to be disciplined on the days when everything's falling into place easily, alas, life is full of those OTHER days too. So if you can get through THEM.... you win!

No matter how sad or stressful life gets, one good thing to remember is:

THERE IS NO PROBLEM SO BAD THAT OVEREATING CAN'T MAKE IT WORSE!

It's really true -- it's just compounding one problem with another! I sometimes think that with my yoyo-ing weight habits I am just trying to distract myself (ie, if my weight wasn't an issue, I would have to face (fill in the blank.)

:wave: hi all! those familiar faces and the new peeps i don't know.

so quick update on me if anyone cares. my cat's been really sick and after lots and lots of different tests we found out she has to have her adrenal gland removed. we took out a hefty loan to do so and the surgery takes place on tuesday. (lets not even talk about money issues). there are all kinds of possible things that may go wrong that i don't want to talk about and also we have to send the tumor off to discover if it is benign or malignant. *sigh*

good news is it could be benign, she'll recover from the surgery in a couple of weeks (poor thing will be doped up and have one of those cones on her head) and then she'll be a perfectly healthy kitty bitty and this whole thing will be behind me.

bad news is it's been really difficult keeping up with school and keeping a generally positive attitude about everything. i have been doing really well so far, but ever since she got sick and i got a little behind in school i've used it as an excuse to develop my vegan baking skills and have ate choc chip cookies for dinner for three nights in a row. :o i, too, walk every where so thankfully everything has kind of evened out, but i haven't done a workout in a couple of weeks now.
so....

i feel it's time to start checking in with you all again even if its just a few minutes a day. school is out next week for winter break so i can stay home and take care of booger, but also i want to take the opportunity to get back in the swing of things with working out and exercise. it'll be slow going as i am really off track, but it needs to be done.

why is it so hard to continue with my lifestyle change when life gets rough?

gypsy - thanks for the idea of making a color coded schedule. i'm actually going to sit down and do that tonight.

bopeep - i'm afraid i have the winter blahs. how did you talk yourself out of them, you seem to be in a better place now.

all - please send positive healthy kitty vibes to my sick kitty, booger!

bopeep
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
ollie - I'm so sorry to hear your kitty isn't doing well!!! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and hope it's a good case situation and that the only lasting damage is to your wallet.

It is so hard to stick to a healthy lifestyle when you're stressed about something like this! I don't get it - generally we feel better when we eat well and get exercise, so why do we lose it and fall off the wagon just when we need it the most? Sigh - I suppose if I am ever able to answer this question, I'll be the most famous person in existence.

As to what helps me beat the winter blahs? Hmmm... I think it really comes down to finding out what you love, and living for it. Besides my DH and my cats, I have two loves - gardening and dancing. I can do either for hours and not notice the time passing. I can't garden in the winter (Canada - 'nuff said...), and my dance classes had finished and didn't start up again until recently. So I was just muddling through in my rather not so good way. Now my dance classes are back (seriously back - I'm practicing for a show, six classes a week for the next two weeks), and I am starting to get my garden planning underway. For you - figure out what in your life you love doing almost more than breathing, and really get into it (this might mean you finally try something you have longed to try for years, but you were afraid to start for whatever reason). Books, movies, dance, painting, volunteering... Whatever it is that sets your blood on fire.

Wormwood - city living does have it's advantages! I must admit that when I finally win the lottery (yeah right), I'll probably move out of the city and live on some serious land, but for the time being, with the way I like to live my life, I love being in a city with good public transport (and good food! Ahem. :o)

K8-EEE - I'm glad you liked Montreal! I do love it here, but I can see why it's not for everyone! And you're right about making pots out of newspaper. I do it every year (slightly different than how you mentioned though)- they're actually way better than peat pots - the peat pots are too dense for many plants to push their roots through. If you want some instructions on how to make some, PM me. They're super easy, free, and better for the environment (peat bog mining is *very* destructive).

BP

jandaman
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
ollie i am so sorry about kitty..i hope everything works out! got my psychic friend to send you some serious serious good spirit vibes (she calls 'em angels)
missed you around here& yeah, i hear you on how rough patches just seem to scramble it all up....it just takes more energy to uphold new healthy patterns and it seems so easy to slide back into those nicely worn grooves of our comfort zones. don't give up!!! git ur toosh in gear..we're all here for each other, right???!!! to quote random adam sandler flicks "choo can do eet!!"

K8-EEE
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Bopeep -- I loved loved loved Montreal but my husband laughed at me when I said I would move there, he is from Buffalo NY and convinced I am too big of a wimp for any kind of climate challenges, LOL. I dream of going there again! I even started taking French after going there, I SUCK at pronounciation but I can get along OK. In fact there are these daily French podcasts (free!) that get me through a lot of dreary exercise bike time!

I just posted a picture of my winter veggie garden on another thread -- yes I am even doing tomatoes this winter, they are Alaskan tomatoes though. I love being able to garden all year but the one not good thing is, you get a break from weeding! Usually my garden gets neglected during the holidays and I spend all Jan. weeding. It's never done!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1858/8987062/16558599/352891237.jpg

ollie27
02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
thanks jan, k8eee, and bopeep for the good advice, sympathy, and good vibe angels:)

also, this is my first new england winter and i think it's getting to me. in the south i could still do all the things i loved, but i've got to reformat them to make them fit here. and of course there is time, energy, and money, which grad school depletes them all. maybe i need to find a good indoor hobby like knitting or something. what i really need to do is start taking my arse to the gym on campus. yep, that's it.

so i weighed and i'm at 136 which is up three pounds from where i was, but more than those three pounds i can just tell it in the way i feel. booger has her surgery tuesday and we'll both be in recovery and come out for the better.

k8ee, nice maters. and are those green onions? yum. i miss my garden. we don't have a yard anymore. perhaps we should look into container gardening?

off to do some reading...

cheers.

K8-EEE
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, green onions! Those are the only kind I have any luck with, a little dry here to sustain growing big onions, they dry out too easy.

Ollie, if you have a balcony you can have an herb garden!! I'm nuts for herbs. Even if I don't eat them, just to crush them up and smell them sometimes, I truly believe in Aromatherapy! Or maybe you have a little side yard or courtyard where you could have some mint, basil, orgegano this summer?

I've never tried it but have you ever heard that smelling fresh crushed mint will take away food cravings? I'm gonna try that one! I guess you could always stick it up your nose which would ruin the taste of anything else, LOL....my husband had this sinus infection once and he couldn't smell anything and he was totally uninterested in food. Smell and taste go together apparently.

Sunrose
02-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Today was my birthday but I was busy all day with work, then a class I take every Thursday, so I didn't get to do anything fun, but that also means I didn't have to worry about eating too much or eating the wrong things. It's this weekend I'm worried about because I am going to two family gatherings and having one night out with my hubby. Wish me luck! I think I have the mindset to get through it fine and stick to my calories and have just one piece of birthday cake and a couple of chocolates for Valentine's Day. But I just never know how I'll do when the moment comes.... :?:

jandaman - I teach high school. I have all seniors this year but have taught ninth through twelfth over the past eight years.

Ollie - I am so sorry about your kitty! I completely understand. One of my cats was very sick two years ago. It was actually exactly two years ago, because I remember she was sick on my birthday. She was in the hospital for two weeks!!! There were a few times we almost gave up, but you know what? She got better!!! I think your kitty will get better too! :hug:

Everyone else, have a great Friday and a great weekend! I know I say this at the end of all my posts, but I really mean it - it's so nice to be here! Thanks for your support! :D

Gypsy Severina
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
So interesting week so far. Played the censorship game when my conservative grandmother and uncle came over while I was here at my parents' house for the weekend when they asked me what I did at school. I gave a very bland presentation, didn't even want to think what the reaction would have been if I had said, "Learning Latin, trying to get into a limited access English program, treasurer of a new organization on campus, and volunteering every week at the local LGBTQ center on campus." Yes, that would have gone over really well.

Besides that, I ordered 6 pairs of cute workout pants from Wal*Mart and 4 sports bras from Just My Size. I went to work out on Wednesday and I felt SO disgusting afterwards and the night before when I went bellydancing, I was just dripping. I can't WAIT for these pants to come in!

ollie- I'm sorry to hear about your cat! I remember when mine was sick, I was so stressed out! I'm sure she'll get better soon.

K8-EEE
02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Gypsy I think it sounds like you're doing great at school...my oldest daughter is a college freshman and volunteered at the LGTBQ during the Prop 8 campaign, unfortunately for CA, the measure prevailed :( but I was proud of her good work -- and yours!

WormwoodDoll
02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I hate my scale. It read 220.9 a couple of times, then it hit 223.1.

WHY? I think it is time to buy a new one. I got my WW one cheap at T.J Maxx....so who knows how old it really is.

GlitterQueenRayne
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
ollie Sending good healthy kitty vibes your way *hugs* it's always really hard when you have a sick pet. I am taking my little baby to the vet March 16 to get her spayed which although I know it's good for them, I am terrified.
Sunrose Happy belated birthday!!!
Gypsy Dont you just LOVE having to play the censorship game with relatives? My parents really don't care but I have to be VERY careful what I say around my grandmother UGH!

I am starting to track my food and exercise on SparkPeople. I have done it for 4 days straight now! Go me! Lets hope I can keep that up.
Saturday and sunday were "uh oh" days for me. I ended up eating 1,000 calories more than I should have due to working around the house and then sunday going out with friends. Stupid vodka and after club McD's run!!!
But I did dance my butt off last night. The legs are pretty sore.
I plan on checking out a couple of exercise dvds this week to see which I like. I have to find ones that don't require a lot of jumping since my parents house is old, on a foundation and they have breakable crap everywhere that I may shake off the shelves from jumping.

WormwoodDoll
02-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Figured I'd check in and see how you ladies are doing.

I'm at 217! WOOHOO! I broke out of the 220s, FINALLY.

Sunrose
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone! I am proud of myself for getting back on track with both my eating and exercising this week. Even if I don't see much of a loss, I am proud of myself for continuing after a few iffy meals and treats over the weekend. Even though they were mostly planned, in the past I would have just given up anyway, figuring why bother trying if I can't be perfect ALL THE TIME! :dizzy:

GypseySeverina - Did you get your new exercise clothes yet? I'm thinking about ordering some myself, I am definitely in need.

GlitterQueenRayne - I've been thinking about trying sparkpeople, are you still enjoying it?

WormwoodDoll - :bravo: on making into the teens. I am soooo wanting to be in the teens right now! You are awesome and an inspiration to me! I am hopefully going to be right behind you! :D

WormwoodDoll
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Sunrose - you will get there in NO TIME. It took me, literally, months to get away from 225. But I strayed from what was most important - me and my health. But I am back and I am seeing the bright side. Onderland, here we come!!

Gypsy Severina
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
wormwood- Congrats! :carrot: I'm hoping to break 290 this week. *hope hope hope*

jandaman
02-20-2009, 07:34 AM
congrats wormwood. awesommmmeeeeee:)

happy belated bday from me to sunrose..i had written a lengthy post--guess it got lost in the ether??!! good on ya for staying op

howdy gypsy and glitterqueen..haven't metcha yet..i have been a sporadic presence here for about a year (thought it was more??) and hope to be a wee bit more consistent--anyways...howya!! good to meetcha good to be here (am i lame--oh, yes i am...sheesh)

mauvaisroux
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
congrats wormwoodoll! :bravo:

happy birthday sunrose! :hb:

Very happy today - I bought a new bellydance dvd on the subject of sword balancing and got a cool dance skirt - black with red and silver patterns on it. It will go well with one of my hip scarves and red choli-style top. :)

Janda -nice to see you on the boards - my presence is a bit sporadic too but I am trying to be on more often.

jandaman
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
hey mauvaisroux- looks like ur doin better w/ur leg if ur taking up bellydancing again! that's great..*wistful musing* i used to bellydance....