Weight and Resistance Training - February- only 4 weeks!

View Full Version : February- only 4 weeks!

Mel
02-01-2009, 04:27 PM
OK...this is the shortest month and we are starting with Super Bowl Sunday :o

After tonight's home made barbecued chicken feast, I commit to doing a 4 week mini challenge to eat totally clean. Workouts are not an issue for me. On March first, I'm headed to Orlando for a conference, then April first to Colorado for a ski trip. I can cover up a lot with ski clothes, but I do have to fit into them!

Ennay- You're right. She did say she was worried about clots. I will call tomorrow for an appointment. Thanks for the reminder.

Mel

nelie
02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Ok after having the stomach flu (worst week of my life, I swear), I'm getting back into it.

I finally bought a second 20 lb kettlebell and told DH that I want another 25lb one sometime in the quasi near future. I was so disappointed in GoFit though in that they now have a 7lb kettlebell and its pink...

My weight is the lowest its been in 6 months but still a few lbs from my ticker weight. I want to start running again but our paths are still covered in ice. Today's warm day helped some but we'll need a few more warm days to get rid of all the ice.

I'm also just fighting the winter blahs, this has been a particularly bad winter for me in terms of motivation but every winter is a fight with food and exercise.

ennay
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I am feeling really hopeful that I'll be able to run "for real" again this week. No hamstring work for awhile except for low weight endurance work (see THAT is what high rep girly lifting is for--rehab! )

Off to cook lots of crap for SBS.

sportmom
02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, here too Nelie, and what isn't covered in ice is a stream torrent or mud. And Monday night into Tuesday brings more!

I'm really happy with my first week results for BFL! Down about 3.6 lbs and some bf% as well.

Have a good week everyone!

dixied
02-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm thrilled with my results from Week 1, 3 lbs lost...and I bought (and can wear) a pair of Size 8 jeans! Single digits!! I haven't seen single digits on my clothes since 1992? :carrot:

thinpossible
02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm thrilled with my results from Week 1, 3 lbs lost...and I bought (and can wear) a pair of Size 8 jeans! Single digits!! I haven't seen single digits on my clothes since 1992? :carrot: Wow! That is SO great!

sportmom
02-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Yea Dee!!! :cloud9:

midwife
02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Woohoo! Go Dixie!!!

I've not been very on plan with my food this weekend. I like the idea of a new month and clean eats. I can do this!!!

Tomato
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank God for Super Bowl!

I could not make it to the gym this morning so I wisely decided better go around 5 pm as opposed to 12:30 pm or so .... at 5, I think there was a total of 10 people at the gym .... ok, maybe 12 ..... it was awesome! UB workout today and I can barely type - my arms are killing me. :D

Nelie, get well soon!

Mel
02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Congratulations, BFL chickies :strong: :bravo:

Shannon in ATL
02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I've got a doctor's appointment this afternoon at which I hope to get released to exercise again, if not today then at least after Thursday. Everything I've read said you can ease back in after two weeks according to your comfort level... Anyone have any suggestions for exercises I can do that will ease back in the arms and chest muscles? I'm getting stuck after pushups, and a little afraid of the Weider right now... :(

You guys are doing great with the BFL program! Woo hoo! :)

ennay
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Do you actually manage to do a little more every time you work out or do you (like weight loss) fluctuate and struggle and then WHoop up to a new level?

I always feel like I am stagnating, I cant do as many reps as I did last week, I am not getting anywhere, oh hey today I did a BUNCH more.

I know part of my fluctuation is weight lifting is secondary to running so my energy levels aren't always peak. (and by Thursday I am so far behind on sleep it isnt funny.) But I felt like I was going backwards and then today I did extra reps on everything. Including braving the heavy bar that I've been doing cable on. While I didnt tag someone to spot me the room was busy so I figured I could shout if needed. Last time I failed on 2 this time I did 4 or 5 (thank god I wrote it down, my ST memory is shot today) and decided NOT to push it for that last one I got stuck on last time. But my 5th set I came back down to starting weight and pumped out 17 easily.

heh...maybe part of my energy today is all the superbowl food still circulating. :o

sportmom
02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
heh...maybe part of my energy today is all the superbowl food still circulating. :o

Sadly, this is the part I can confirm for you. Not the Super Bowl part bc we didn't do anything, but from memory, other times when I was eating extremely "richly" shall we say, I was always tons stronger. I think it's our friend, Mr. Carb, showing his strength.

ennay
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Sadly, this is the part I can confirm for you. Not the Super Bowl part bc we didn't do anything, but from memory, other times when I was eating extremely "richly" shall we say, I was always tons stronger. I think it's our friend, Mr. Carb, showing his strength.

Yeah well, I'll pay in the long run because that reset a LOT of my exercises to the next weight. Thursday should be punishing.

Today a woman I know was in there when I was doing bicep curls said "that is really impressive". While part of me feels proud, the other part thinks "yeah, but I really havent been working out that long, this is kind of where I get to fast". Which is also true. I have a level of weight lifiting that no matter how long I abandon it I get back to fairly quickly and I kind of am there. And it seems like for the past ...decade... every time I get there something happens and next thing I know it has been 2 months and I am starting over again. So now the real work begins.

sportmom
02-02-2009, 04:59 PM
So in doing searches for Body for Life entertaining websites, I've come across Tom Venuto's stuff several times. What does our enlightened group think about his e-book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle? Has anyone read it/ordered it or spoken to anyone who has? I wonder if it's really centered around the HIIT formula. I know he criticizes BFL somewhat in saying it's not customized, so I think that's what he advocates is weekly adjustments depending on your accomplishment, which make complete sense. Wonder if much else is different.

I finally realized I needed to do BFL bc as hard as I was lifting and working out, I just wasn't see it for the fat. So anything around "max fat loss" topics gets my curiosity going. I know Swigg has reviewed it, so I've already got that link, but wondering what you guys think.

Shannon in ATL
02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Just got back from my doctor's appointment and everything looks good. I am cleared for lower body exercises, cardio that doesn't involve the arms, no upper body work until after week 6. I can live with that. Now I have to find lower body exercises that I like that don't involve the upper body. I'm thinking I'll try that lifting the exercise ball between your feet while lying on the floor thing tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes...

sportmom
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Great Shannon! Can you run/power walk? I'm thinking that doesn't involve arms, but then again, it's kind of hard to do w/o moving your arms.

WaterRat
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Yah, but she wouldn't be lifting her arms overhead, or carrying any weights, etc.

And I think that Mel has read and reviewed that Burn the Fat e-book, quite awhile back - like last spring? You could do a search for the thread. I've not read it.

And ennay, I agree about making great strides at first, and then working harder and longer to up your weights.

Mel
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Tom Venuto's book was really enlightening when I first read it when it came out. I think if you have NROLW, you'll find a lot of the same information. It is definitely a worthwhile read. He also has a new book out "The Body Fat Solution" which I haven't read. I think Meg has it and either has read it or is in the middle of it.

BFFM has a lot of explanation for WHY and the science behind the nutrition, cardio and weight training triumvirate. I don't remember much about the actual exercise program, and I'm not sure there really is a daily program laid out. He does emphasize customizing for YOUR body more than BFL.

Shannon- Great on getting cleared to work out! How about walking lunges, hamstring ball pulls, one legged "stand ups"....no arm involvement, don't even need to hold weights for most of them.

I was cleared to do impact exercise again- no blood clots :) I've been doing the elliptical every day since the bizarro leg bleed, and it sure was nice to get on the treadmill for a quick HIIT after work today.

Mel

Lydia227
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Mel: I'm so glad that you do not have a blood clot in your leg. :hug: You just can't have something like that. It doesn't fit into your lifestyle plan. :lol: I bet it was great to get back on the treadmill today!

Shannon, it sounds like your doing great! Six weeks without lifting upper body? Do I remember that correctly. If so, don't worry, it will go quickly. The beauty of this is that this is another opportunity to watch muscle memory in action. When you go back to lifting again you'll be able to see if you recover and develop more quickly than you did first time around.

So. Today was my first day at the new gym. The owner remembered me by name and had all my stuff ready when I walked into the door. Nice. It was quiet at 5:30am but the cardio room was busy. It's a small room with the equipment facing the walls. There are individual tvs for visual stimuli.

The weights, Freemotion equipment and general toys are in a much larger room. As I entered, for my lifting session there were only two other people there. Half way through the workout, I was the only one in the room. This was a great opportunity to walk around discover where everything was located without tripping over other members doing their routines.

It is going to take some time for me to acclimate though. I had a really nice view while doing cardio in my previous gym. Floor to ceiling plate glass windows and I could do all the "people watching" I wanted. :lol: Now I face a wall with a tv screen. ~sigh~ It's just going to take some time. And, I'm there to learn which is not what was happening at the other place. I'm self taught. Well, kind of, there's you ladies. :hug: What I'm looking for are people who are as passionate about teaching fitness and lifting as I am about learning. I have an upcoming session to discuss goals next week. Its the first of three meetings in the orientation. I want to give this some thought before I meet with them. Could be interesting. :)

nelie
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Ok so I've been majorly slacking on exercise and motivation.

Yesterday, I bought "My Fitness Coach" for the Wii. It is a bit cheesy but I kind of like the novelty of it and I'm going to give it an honest chance. This morning, I told it I wanted to do a 15 minute workout so it gave me a quick workout. I groaned a bit yesterday as I was doing weight exercises without weights per the workout but it asks for feedback and I said it was easy so we'll see how it adjusts.

Tonight, I plan to do some kettlebells or something.

Tomato
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Yay to Mel and Shannon! Nice to hear you are both doing good.

Lydia, I imagine that I would not be thrilled having to stare at a TV compared to what you had at the previous gym. But, you will get used to it. Somehow ... we always do, right? The company I work for decided to squeeze 50 more people on each floor (only God knows where they are going to park) .... so out with the cubes [that gave you some semblance of privacy & your personal space] and in with the dog-bone workstations! It will be loud, crowded, no privacy, no storage space .... and I will lose my prime spot on the floor to ceiling wall overlooking a park and a lake. [Grrroan]. But, I will have to get used to it .... what choice do I have?

My lower back is not doing too good ... it feels a bit stiff again. I wonder if it's from shoveling or from workouts at the gym? Maybe deadlifts are not a good idea right now .... I am worried about this because I have been feeling it for the last 2 weeks or so ... i am not in pain but I know my range of motion is limited and bending down feels awkward.

The good news is - it's 45 days til SPRING!

Alena

Lydia227
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Alena: Spring in 45 days! That is the best news. How frustrating that your work floor is about to be restructured. I am a very private person and loud environments really can set me on edge. What you are describing sounds like it would be a huge adjustment. But it is as you stated, we just have to acclimate. At least until we can make different arrangements for ourselves. ;)

Nelie, I saw the ads for the Wii My Fitness Coach and wondered how it was. Let me know what you think as you progress. It looked interesting.

Today was day 2 at the new place. I snagged a treadmill and had a nice run. I was due some SS cardio after yesterday's HIIT. Unlike yesterday, the place was busy with trainers doing group training in the free weight area. Nice to see all of these people working hard at some functional training. I saw a lot of really great things and heard good instructions. :chin: I think I will check the online schedule to so that I will know what things might look like tomorrow. Overall, it's really nice not to have to rush through my workout due to travel time.

jamsk8r
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Morning, ladies!

I'm all about starting over in Feb, but for me it's the workouts I need to keep OP with. I think I just get too intense, then after a few days I am sore and don't want to do anything. Moderation is not my strong suit, lol.

First time back at the Y last night, since before new year's. OMG! It was packed! I ended up with a pretty random workout, because I had to wait for everything, even the oly lifting platform, which is usually deserted. I got a new PR on my deadlift, though, 155 lbs on my last 5 rep set! My previous best was 111, so it was my first time getting to use the 25 kg bumper plates. Very exciting! After my LB lifting workout, or what passed for it last night, I did the crossfit WOD, or the scaled down version, which was 60 pull-ups/60 dips. Got to play on the assisted pull-up machine. :love: Last night I was wishing that thing had a straight bar across the middle, so I could do chins. Every other possible grip was killing me by the end. UB lifting today. I want my mommy.

I need more caffeine, have to poke the boy and get him going this morning, then I'll be back to do replies and check the BFL thread. :coffee:

Shannon in ATL
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions for exercises guys! I'm not 100% sure about running, I forgot to ask about that part, but I know I can power walk or even 'light jog' whatever that means. :) And I may only have four weeks left to go on the upper body, because I'm thinking he meant six weeks post surgery, not six weeks from yesterday... I'm definitely going to try some of the things listed.

Mel - glad to hear you are cleared, too! :)

Lydia - Good luck at your new gym. Change is always hard, isn't it?

Nelie - the Fitness Coach sounds interesting. Definitely let us know how it goes.

Alena - is your company squeezing in more people to save on office space? I hate those cubicle free work areas - there are studies on top of studies on how productivity decreases in those setups... :hug: Hope your back feels better soon!

Cheryl - way to go! :)

Tomato
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Cheryl -

"A new PR on my deadlift" - what's PR please?

nelie
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
PR = Personal record

Mel
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
SIXTY PULL UPS????????

Holy schmoley!

Lydia- The new gym sounds wonderful! Too bad about the view on the machines, but the rest of it sounds better.

Today I did legs heavy. I was doing dumbbells squats standing with each foot on a flat bench do I could get deep enough and dropped a 120 pound dumbbell (don't get too excited, these are SINGLE db squats!) between the benches :dizzy: Made quite a clatter!

I just ordered Tom Venuto's new book The Body Fat Solution (http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fat-Solution-Principles-Maintaining/dp/1583333290/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233714990&sr=8-1). I'll let you know what I think :)

Mel

Lydia227
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Mel: 60 pullups, yeah, I know, look at her! What about you and the 120lb dumb bell. :rolleyes: Suspended between two benches. :yikes: Will you be careful out there! :lol:

:yes: I'm going to like the place. Today, I did back squats in front of a floor to ceiling mirror. :sssh: I have this really large vein that pops out from my delts when I'm doing this. :lol: Too cool. I had no idea. What a difference lighting and a mirror can do. :rofl:

No seriously, once I got myself over to the squat rack and did my sets I felt much much better about the new place. :dunno: I didn't think that would be a trigger for me but it was,

Anyway, when it came time to do my core work I wandered into the group training room. It was empty. I had the whole room to myself with ALL OF THE TOYS. :yay: OMG. I could do my entire workout in there. I was so excited. Jump ropes, steps, free bars, balls, mats, ab wheels, dumb bells. So. Very. Nice. I can deal with the cardio equipment now. :devil:

WaterRat
02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow, Lydia, sounds like a great place! Maybe you can just zone out to music doing your cardio and not worry about the view? :lol: My gym has been adding new machines, and rearranging things. There are still free weights in several areas, but they've moved the balls upstairs (where there are weights too) but the cable machines are still downstairs. I was doing NRLW last night and found myself going upstairs a couple of times to do things in order. I do like that there is also a set of free weights right by the cable machines so I can easily alternate lunges and seated rows; or overhead presses with lateral pull-downs. They also expanded the whole building, and while most of it is rental space (new massage place, a GNC type place, etc) the gym itself is about 10' wider. One new area is a room for spinning. THey used to have to move the machines into the aerobics room everytime they had a classs. Now they're in a place they are left out and anyone can use them when there's not a class.

Tonight is an HIIT night - my iPod is charging on my PC as I type. Can't afford to run out of music. :lol:

ennay
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I really really miss my squat rack. That is my only real complaint about my new gym. I was kicking serious butt on squats in the cage.

Sigh...dd is sick which means likely no gym for me tomorrow. I hate that. I only lift 2 days a week, so missing one really sucks.

sportmom
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Thought I would share this inspiring story of a woman who proves that age is truly only a number.

Nelie, maybe we can train with her!
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/custom/unisun/bal-unisun-health0203,0,3834830.story

I've seen a photo of her before on the net but never knew her story and that she was local.

nelie
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Fran,

Wow, nice. Hopefully I'm kicking butt at 71.

ennay
02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Hot stuff

Mel
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I've read about her before, too. She's pretty amazing!

Lydia227
02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Fran: Thanks for sharing that story. She absolutely beautiful. My goodness!

Oh. Check out what she's eating:

Ernie is lucky; her Trophy Husband knows just how to put taste and pizzazz into the small rotation of repeat dishes that a serious bodybuilder must continually contend with. This 66-year old can pack away the victuals: she eats a 9-eggwhite omelet plus a baked potato and a chicken breast for breakfast. Then she eats this same identical mighty meal again three short hours later. This sleek elder eats twenty-seven egg whites each and every day; along with three pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breast and a small mountain of steamed vegetables. Ernie has built a blast-furnace metabolism and her body thrives on lots of super clean calories. :high:

sportmom
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
:faint: my grocery budget. Her retirement must pay pretty well! BUt then, it's probably her largest expense - she eats and she's in the gym! And membership is probably free bc she's on staff there.

I may have to find out for myself - just googled the address and she's like 20-30 minutes from me! I might just have to go meet her. Ironically enough, she's in the same town as the hospital where I had my kidney stone surgery. That's pretty wild (to me, I'm sure you guys are like, huh?). :D

nelie
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
She is about an hour from me but it'd be worth the drive :)

Shannon in ATL
02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Great article, Fran. Wow - I wish I looked like her now, much less at 71!

I've exercised two days in a row now. I have only done cardio so far, my balance is still a little shaky so I want to get that back up before I try anything else. I'm worried about starting to fall and catching myself on my arms. It was better yesterday, so I added in a few squats. I'm hoping today will be even better. I would like to try some different things in the morning.

Lydia - glad you are getting into your new gym! It does sound pretty cool, other than the cardio machines against the wall. I tend to put on music or something and zone out during cardio now that my machines are in my garage, but I used to love to people watch myself at the gym. I was bored in my garage at first, but got used to it pretty quickly.

WaterRat
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Oh my, I feel pretty wimpy now. Can I grow up to look like that? :lol:

Mel
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Me too, Pat!

27 egg whites per day would do me in, tho. I've finally given up on buying actual eggs and just buy the liquid whites. Sure speeds things up!

I did the world's fastest chest, back and shoulders workout today. I've had 2 doctor's appts this week for me and one for my son, and weight workouts have been what suffered. Managed 2 HIIT sessions this week after work on Monday and Wednesday in addition to my daily elliptical session. Tomorrow I'm taking off from work and skiing, so there is my workout :D I hope I don't freeze into a Melsicle :dizzy:

This Sunday we are having my ds's Eagle Scout ceremony which involves a buffet meal for about 35 people :faint: I'm trying to keep it simple, but have given up on super healthy. At least half of the attendees are 16-20 year old boys and I figure big trays of meatballs, a salad, BREAD, and dessert should do it. I may make a giant pot of my turkey breast black bean chili and stick to that and salad for myself.

Shannon- personal question- is it hard to get used to suddenly being a different shape? Is that affecting your balance?

Stay warm,

Mel

jamsk8r
02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
What Fran said...I couldn't afford to buy that much food! Luckily, I'm an easy keeper. I just look at food and gain a pound. Wish it was a pound of muscle! I have been exercising every day, because I wanna keep losing fat, but I am wiped after a few days. I tried a heavier calorie day (clean) and felt better the next, so maybe I am just not getting enough cals. I'm not really losing consistently on the cals I'm on, though (1600), so I'm not sure what to do. For now, I'm keeping it as is, and doing a recovery workout when I feel like I need a "rest day". I'm going on the assumption that it's a temporary fatigue related to upping my exercise output. If it doesn't get better in a few weeks, then I'll try more cals.

I did squats at the Y last night. I'm still not used to using a barbell for squats, having just had the dumbbells at home. My usual heavy DB squat is more like a front squat, more upright. I got up to 85 lbs with the barbell for the back squat and couldn't go any higher, because I was already having trouble getting full range of motion at that weight, so I just kept that on for my last 3 sets. It was hard to keep my form straight. The mirrors are SO distracting to me. My max weight for back squats is less than it is for bench press. I don't know if that's funny or just pitiful. :dizzy: I'll keep studying and practicing.

Ennay, I didn't know you changed gyms. What's the new one like, besides no squat cage? How did it turn out with that trainer? Good, I hope.

Mel, the pull-ups weren't that bad, just sets of 12. I just kept switching between pull-ups and dips. As long as I didn't stop, it was okay. Mine are still on the assisted machine, too. I can't even do one at my bodyweight yet.

Everybody else, :wave:. I've got to get off the 'puter and actually do something useful. Sitting here typing ain't burning the calories!

Shannon in ATL
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Mel - I'm pretty sure it is the new shape throwing off the balance. I've always been small, so this is totally different for me. I was doing step-ups last night and realized I was rolling my shoulders forward and that + the extra weight was throwing me off balance. I've paid more attention today and I'm actually rolling my shoulders a little forward almost all the time. I've worked on keeping them back today and the center of gravity seems to be back where I expect it to be. :)

Mel
02-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Back to routine today. My weekend was a food fest and my pants can attest to that! Ds had his Eagle Scout ceremony and we 40 adults and teen age boys here for the ceremony and buffet dinner. Anyone want some left over meatballs and desserts?

Clean eating is going to be a shock to the system, but I know I'll feel better by tomorrow.

Back and chest at the gym today...cardio done!

Mel

Lydia227
02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Mel: Congratulations to your DS and you and your husband for making it to Eagle Scout! :high: As the mother of Cub Scout I know the dedication it takes from all family members to help achieve this goal. :dizzy: In our case, DH gets all the credit. He is the current den leader helping our fifth grade cubbies receive their Arrow of Light. I wish you a smooth transition to the land of clean eating.

Mel
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Ugh....I've fallen and I can't get up! Some one point me to the path of clean eating :o

On the other hand, I sure could lift heavy today! :p

Mel

ennay
02-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Ugh....I've fallen and I can't get up! Some one point me to the path of clean eating :o

On the other hand, I sure could lift heavy today! :p

Mel

Man I was sure paying for SuperBowl today. I went in on the Monday after superbowl and lifted enough to up my weights on nearly every exercise. Then thursday the kids were sick so I didnt make it to the gym and today was my first non post food fest day at all the new weights. fuuuuuuuuuuudge. Only I didnt say fudge.

Lydia227
02-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey Mel, I hope today is a little easier. It's like a cycle isn't it? Once its out of the system it get so much easier but until then...:devil:

Mixed up my workout a little bit and it's just started to settle in. I had my orientation yesterday to the new gym. They have a warm up routine that involves medicine balls. Lets just say I'm not very coordinated. I realize now how little diagonal cross body talk my muscles do. Truly, I don't think the left and right side speak the same language. :lol: Anyway, I survived.

4rabbit
02-10-2009, 01:08 PM
OOOOhh Lydia, what did you have to do with the medicine balls ? i would love to emulate it to see how my cross coordination is (I'm notoriously bad at such moves, but I'd love to try)

Please tell,
rabbit

sportmom
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Me too!

I wonder if it's similar to what they did to the kids at swimming one nite. They were doing wall squats and the coach went up and down the line tossing the medicine ball to them, they had to catch it and toss it back. It was kinda fast, so they had to concentrate on how bad their thighs ached and also anticipate the rate at which the ball would get tossed from the person next to them back to them. Was amazing to see how many of the swimmers are clearly swimmers only - all thumbs when it came to ball skills! But anyway, it looked like fun.

I did some great HIIT today and got my run up to being 50% of my workout! :eek:

Went to Costco recently and saw that they have this personal trainer in the store now if anyone is in the market for some home gym equipment. It looked pretty good with enough room to slide a bench into it.
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/363920.jpg

EPIC CTS – Compact Training System

(http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11326695&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#)150 Lb. Cast-iron Weight Stack,
15 Vertical Workout Settings

Item # 363920
Be the first to write a review (http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11326695/submission.htm?bvpage=action.htm&action=AddReview&format=embedded&user=__USERID__&return=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.costco.com%2FBrowse%2FProd uct.aspx%3FProdid%3D11326695%26whse%3DBC%26topnav% 3D%26browse%3D%26lang%3Den-US&loginparams=__BVLOGINPARAMETERS__&submissionparams=__BVSUBMISSIONPARAMETERS__&campaignid=BV_RATING_SUMMARY_ZERO_REVIEWS&submissionurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.costco.com%2Fbrowse %2Freviewproduct.aspx).
$999.99

They also have adjustable dumbbells for $399 - they go up to 50 lbs on each side. I know someone was looking for those.

Lydia227
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
The exercise that challenged my coordination was the diagonal woodchop with a med ball. Don't laugh. Seriously. Once I figured out to do it on one side then he said, "Great. Now reverse it." Say what?! I just couldn't get the other side to do it. I was thinking way too much about it. :lol: Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyxv3TSpYiI&feature=related

We also did a wood chop kind of movement with the ball between our legs and pass the ball around the centers of our bodies from hand to hand. There was also a figure eight movement with the ball. I kept getting lost in my figure eight. :crazy: It was too much for someone who usually only moves up/down or side to side. :lol:

Fran: I like the squat and ball through back you described. What a great way to challenge a group all at once. I bet the coach had to be quick to keep it going too.

4rabbit
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Lydia,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into it.

About getting lost in the figure 8: This is how my friend & I landed at the power class at the gym...We were regulars at the aerobis & steps calsses but got way too confused from the choreography. So when my friend came up with weightlifting ("very simple choreography...if the weight is up you move it down and when it is down you move it up") I immediately fell for it. We are still sticking to the class, I believe it is the 3rd year now.

have a great day,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't have a medicine ball, but tried it with just the basketball. Interesting! I might put that in my warm-up.

I had a fun and killer UB and abs workout today. I've been mixing it up a lot. Warm-up was deadlifts, handstand push-up practice, and the crossfit warm-up: OH squats, push-ups, dips, etc. Then I did UB lifting and more abs with lighter weights, higher reps, circuit style, no rest. By the end I was busted down to 8 or 10 reps per exercise. Fun! Then I ran 20 mins to finish it off.

ETA: Sorry, Alena. Here's the decoder ring:
UB=Upper Body (weight lifting)
OH squats=Overhead squats with a barbell (or in my case, a broomstick with 20 lbs on it, lol)

elisa822
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
rabbit - I love my power class too! It's not the same as when I do my own strength training workouts, but it's a nice part of the week. No thinking, just lifting, and there's other people around to keep me motivated!

Mel - how's the food going? getting any cleaner?? Some days (or weeks ;)) are just like that...more of a struggle than others.

Lydia - I like the woodchops...do you think it's at all a shoulder exercise? I'm wondering if it would bother my shoulder at all. Speaking of which though, and it's too soon to say, but my shoulder has been feeling a lot better lately in yoga. The downward dogs used to just kill me so either my form is better, or my shoulder is stronger?? who knows, but either way I'm liking it! And hey, how do you know how much a medicine ball weighs or which are heavier. And don't say just pick it up and see! ;) Are the colours uniform for different weights??

Last question for all you HIIT kids. Any idea what your HR is at the high point? I'm only going by the treadmill HR monitor and it takes a few seconds to kick in when I go down to the walking speed but it looks like my top end is around the high 160's...and I'm breathing hard. It drops about 20 beats in about a minute and a half and then I start speeding back up again. I know it's partially age based, I'm just wondering if anyone else tracks their HR during their HIIT workouts.

Slightly OT, but I'm still wondering how people would feel about merging the BFL with the regular threads? Doesn't matter too much to me, I'll pop in and post wherever but sometimes I'm not sure where to "find" people these days. Personally, I don't mind if half the people are talking specifically BFL, and half aren't. We still all have basically the same goals. JMO.

:D

Mel
02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm a big fan of cross-body training. I like to have people squat on the mushy side of a bosu and toss a med ball at them. Another fun exercise is have two people each on a bosu throwing to each other- high, low to the outside, soft, hard, etc.

Cardio done, and I'll have to lift shoulders at home tonight. I have a lunch meeting in Harrisburg :p about an hour and a half from here.

Trying hard to clean up the food!

Mel

midwife
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
That sounds fun, Mel! I would probably fall off the bosu more often than not---which means it is probably exactly the kind of exercise I need to do!

Last night I was sort of feeling sorry for myself---woe is me, too sick to exercise, and resisting all sorts of temptations at a yummy mom and pop greasy spoon (although what I had --chicken fajita meat w/ the veggies, red chile and a little guac was yummy), stuck to one piece of cake, didn't even grab a forkful of leftover cake when we got home, etc., etc., etc., BUT! I was rewarded by the scale reading 151 again this am.....no water retention or anything from the sugar in the cake.

So it is hard but worth it, so clean up your food Mel and Lydia and whoever else is struggling! :drill:

** this drill sergeant is brought to you courtesy of the 3FC butt-kicking team and is yours to pass on as needed, especially when I will need it in the future---and I will....

WaterRat
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Morning - with DH gone I've slipped into my old morning TV news habit. I shouldn't, just gets me riled up. :lol: I also shouldn't have the laptop open and on when I should be getting dressed... Above zero - just - this morning, and cloudy. Forecast is for mid-20's later in the week.

And I just heard postage is going up another $.02 in May. Grrrrr.

Yesterday was a lousy day. Let's just say worked late, made poor choices, city council meeting that went on and on and on.... Today will be better!

Tomato
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi chickies,

I am way behind with reading (hopefully I will catch up later) but here is an article about eating for a six pack from CNN: Clicky (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/09/irpt.6pack.diet/index.html)

That's a lotta eggs!

Alena :wave:

WaterRat
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I would probably fall off the bosu more often than not

I've just discovered the bosu in my gym - it surfaced when they rearranged stuff. I've not tried to anything but stand on it so far! :) I really should, as I can always use some balance improvement. I was reading that it's something everyone should work at as they age - it's a skill that goes away when not used. There's actually a whole book about it Balance: In search of the Lost Sense by Scott McCredie which was very interesting and had some exercises to do, starting with very simple and working up - stuff anyone can do around the house.

Shannon in ATL
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, I'm way behind on this thread.... Will have to come back later and read a little more in detail. Did want to answer Elisa quickly, though...

Last question for all you HIIT kids. Any idea what your HR is at the high point? I'm only going by the treadmill HR monitor and it takes a few seconds to kick in when I go down to the walking speed but it looks like my top end is around the high 160's...and I'm breathing hard. It drops about 20 beats in about a minute and a half and then I start speeding back up again. I know it's partially age based, I'm just wondering if anyone else tracks their HR during their HIIT workouts.

I target between 180-185 for the high points right now, before my surgery I was targeting 190-195 - some sets got to 200, but not consistently - but can't get there yet. I drop it down to about 150 in a little under a minute, then start winding it back up slowly. Last night I did four interval sets got to 181, 183, 185, 186 (for only a few seconds before back to 185) - so, not the same each set. I sometimes worry that I'm going too high...

sportmom
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Yesterday on my new highest peak, I got up to 191, then quickly recovered to 165, 145, 121 in the 3 minutes following. I thought 191 was crazy high until I read Shannon's!! And dh had been telling me, oh we're not supposed to go higher than the 80% mark that's listed on the treadmill! I said, nope, that's 'old school,' we're supposed to do HIIT now which is waaaay above working at 80%.

Shannon in ATL
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Fran - I'm glad to see your 191! My DH has been telling me the same thing. I stopped telling him where I was going with my heartrate, as it wasn't causing me any trouble, even! :). I had to go for an ECG & a stress test in October because of a newly detected leaky heart valve causing a murmur, and the cardiologist told me I had great VO2 levels and that my resting and exercising heart rate were excellent for a woman my age , not to change a thing. (Man, I hated hearing that phrase 'woman your age' though... :) ) And, that was when I was regularly hitting in the 190s. Heart murmur is minor and doesn't impact it at all, either.

WaterRat
02-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, not being a woman your age, Shannon, but one much older, I hit around 160 on some of my intervals. That's above what the 220 minus your age formula has for my 100% and my heart hasn't exploded yet. :lol: THere's a book called Ultimate Fitness: the quest for truth about exercise and health by Gina Kolata that - among other stuff - discusses the "accepted" formula for maximum heart rate. It's quite interesting. It's a 2003 book, so you can likely find it in in your libraryl

elisa822
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the HIIT answers! I think I need to wear my real HR monitor for the true answer. The treadmill takes quite a few seconds to "kick in" and I'm not sure if it's reliable. I also ignore the treadmill suggested HR's! I think, according to them I should max out at 140 or something silly like that!!

I know I could get my HR higher but I'm not sure I could sustain it for a full minute, which is what I'm trying to do right now. Something to strive for, that's for sure. Makes the treadmill a little more interesting anyway.

Shannon in ATL
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Elisa - I had to wear my HRM to get my heart rate during HIIT, the elliptical & treadmill couldn't keep up, and I didn't really trust either of their results.

Pat - Thanks for the book tip - I'm going to look for it. And, hand it to DH the next time he says 'your heart is going to explode if you keep at it like that!'. I thought it was funny that you used that same phrase! :)

I just worked out using some of the LB Swiss ball exercises from one of Lydia's posts in another thread and the Swiss ball hamstring curl just about killed me. It took me five tries to get the stupid ball to stay under my ankles and feet before I could even try the exercise, but wow could I feel it once I got started!

WaterRat
02-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Ha, Shannon. Sounds like me with the ball jack knife exercise.... :)

Mel
02-12-2009, 07:36 AM
My elliptical tells me my heart rate is 95 when I'm about ready to keel over :lol: When I was doing spinning and wore a monitor, I would occasionally break 190 without exploding and I'm a LOT older. I think I need to buy a new monitor and see where I am now!

Mel

Lydia227
02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Pat: Thanks for the book tip. I will look for the book at my library too. I'm still trying to get my HR monitor to work correctly. Perhaps it needs a new battery. It has a difficult time keeping the reading. I have to hold the watch up onto the chest monitor to pick up the reading. I'll play with it a little more today.

Yesterday was my orientation to the Freemotion equipment. I have had access to and used the same equipment at my previous gym for four years. I even had an orientation to the equipment when I was a new member there too. But wow, the difference between the two are night and day.

The trainer made a point of describing that it was a two part movement in many of the upper body exercises. It is important to pinch the scapula together and down in the back in order to activate the rhomboids and lats. The is also important to have more of a curve in the lower back which pushes the chest much further out and wider than I'm accustomed to using. Then....then...you implement the movement such as the chest press or shoulder press etc. Trust me, it was a little more challenging than just moving the cables forward and back and up and down. It really causes you to put your mind into the muscle and then the movement. Overall a really good session.

This morning I'm taking the day off. No, I"m not sore from yesterday. I am experiencing some lower back pain. It's been troubling me a little since last spring and is somewhat becoming more progressive. It's better when I'm up and walking around for a few minutes but when I sit down and get back up again it's really stiff. I may just need to give it a few days of rest and see if it improves.

ennay
02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a session with my trainer again on monday. This should be interesting. I've been making great strides on my own and I almost hate to waste a workout with the trainer. He talks too much.

GAH - I used to think I wanted to be a trainer when the kids got older but I am definitely reconsidering. There is a woman in where I workout on Thursdays and she whines non-stop. Excuses for what she did or didnt do since she saw her trainer last and then complaints about how heavy the weights are, how much she hates this particular exercise its not fair, on and on. "well I couldnt workout because" "I had to eat the dessert because"

I would pull a Jillian on a client like that which would probably not go over well. How do you gals deal with a client like that.

nelie
02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I think being a trainer would be fun but I've accidentally killed too many friends. I'd take them to the gym with me, load them up with weights and then they'd complain they couldn't walk the next day "oops". Yeah excuses would be tough to deal with plus the hours. I thought I'd like to do real estate because I love well real estate but the hours majorly suck.

sportmom
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm listening to a webcast from Tom Venuto right now, pretty cool. He'll have the link up on his website tomorrow for the replay. I almost missed it bc I didn't see the original email earlier this week, but luckily they sent a reminder tonite.

jamsk8r
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey all, just checking in. Still staying OP with the workouts and eating. Having fun with the workouts. I'll second the vote for combining the BFL thread and this one, because I just end up repeating myself. :dizzy:

Mel
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm still reading the new Tom Venuto book. It's much more geared to the "average" person rather than hard core gym rats. I'm not sure it would be my solution if I were starting out. He's preaching moderation, moderation, moderation. I KNOW that doesn't work for me. I haven't gotten to "the plan" yet, or the ending emotional eating yet. Maybe there will be some nuggets of help there.

Being a trainer is like any other "people" job- you have some great clients and some that you really don't look forward to working with. But their time and money is just as important to them, so you give them all that you can. In my experience, the whiners either cease to be whiners when they start seeing results and "get it", or they cease to be clients because they don't get it and therefore don't see results. You can lead a horse to water....

I managed a whole dy clean yesterday :) I'm astounded my clothes still fit. :carrot:

Cardio done, balance and core at the gym today.

Lydia- I sometimes take a break from nothing but free weights and do the free motion machines. I do like them. Do you have the free motion functional trainer? Except for legs, I can do entire workouts on that. I love it.

have a good one,
Mel

Lydia227
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Do you have the free motion functional trainer? Except for legs, I can do entire workouts on that. I love it.
Mel

I do have access to that too. That was my plan for today. Just to go over the equipment again using the reminders he gave me. I'm taking the deadlifts and backsquats out of my program until the stiffness from my back releases. I will also focus a little more on back and abdominal exercises. I've kind of let these slip in the last few months and only hitting them a couple of times a week. Obviously not enough.

I really think a little rest is what I need. It feels much better this morning after giving it a little attention yesterday. Just one of those "better listen to your body and not your ego" kind of things. :^:

Have a great morning everyone! :coffee:

jamsk8r
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Morning, ladies! I have no idea who Tom Venuto is. I'll have to look that up when I have some free time. Going dog scootering with some friends this morning, along the Carbon River. I'm low on good groceries at the house, so I'm leaving early to pick up a banana and some other kind of survival food, to get me through lunch time. Mushers are junk food junkies, so I need to have a packed lunch. They are likely to want to stop by McDs after the run for a chat. I'm not tempted by the sodium burgers, but need to pack some food, because I will be hungry after running dogs. Wish me luck!

WaterRat
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Cheryl, that sounds like fun. Is it different than mushing dogs on snow (other than the obvious - it's not on snow :lol: )? Do ou use sleds on wheels or some other vehicle? How many dogs? THe dog mushers here run their dogs in the off season usually pulling something on wheels. It's more difficult though because the trails are not as free of obstacles as they are when covered with snow. OUr big race - the Iditarod - starts the first weekend in March.

midwife
02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Okay guys, I had another piece of cake and some ice cream for my dd's sleepover birthday party! Ack! But, I didn't have seconds or finish my son's cake or have a burger or fries or pancakes or bacon or soda. Was POP otherwise and the calories should be okay.

Today is good so far. I've sworn off cake, candy, chips, soda, etc, all the stuff hanging around the house. I'll be at the hospital tomorow, so less temptation with any luck.

I did run today. Woohoo! And I'm going to head out to the garage to lift some weights. I usually lift with my trainer but I missed a session last week due to my cough. I'll go check out what all my DH has amassed out there and do some deadlifts, bicep curls, shoulder presses, anything that strikes my fancy.

I think DH forgot V-day---he was a little surprised when I sprang the treats on him and the kids today. But that is actually really fine with me! I wouldn't want to spend the $$ for one, and if he would have gotten me candy, ACK!

Dinner will be roasted butternut squash and grilled shrimp. Maybe some polenta too. Mmmmmm!!! And I'm boiling up 18 eggs for the week to come.

jamsk8r
02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Midwife, I can relate about the junk food in the house. Usually, I'm fine, but sometimes, usually when I'm working out and hungry, if my boy is sitting there munching, I have to tell him to take the junk in his room, because it's giving me cravings like mad! Sounds like you did well, considering! :hug:

Pat, it's the same, but many of us just have one or two dogs, so we use mountain bike-style scooters instead of a 4 wheeler or heavy musher's cart. With the lighter rigs, you can run one to three or four dogs (depending which dogs), and the scooters will fit on a bike back or into a pickup or mini van. Some of our club members also run dogs on snow, race, or whatever, but some like me just do it for fun, and to exercise the pet dogs. Here's a good "before" pic of me running 3 dogs, that shows what the scooter looks like:

nelie
02-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd be scared of having my dogs pull me :)

Today was an all out day. I made brownies from scratch, then I made potato, spinach and black bean enchiladas (carb heavy but fairly healthy). We also ate out at lunch. Goal is to not have any brownies after today :) I probably also won't have any enchiladas or just a little bit. Which just means lots of leftovers, most of which I don't want to eat. Its ok because husband loves brownies and loves the enchiladas.

Mel
02-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Cheryl, you look so different! :bravo:

The dogs are gorgeous too :)

midwife
02-15-2009, 09:29 AM
How fun, Cheryl! You look awesome!

hikerchick
02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello Lifters!

I have been a bit computer shy lately. Mostly lurking and lifting but I thought I'd pop in to say hi and thanks to everyone for being here to inspire.

Took measurements today and it looks like I've lost and inch on my waist and a half an inch on each leg. Arms look like they have grown a half inch (Is this possible or am I a klutz at measuring?). Scale hasn't really changed much but I am cool with that.

I have been doing the NROL fat loss 1 workout slightly adapted to the home gym. I do all the barbell exercises with dumbbells and I found a neat way to improvise a lat pulldown with a band and a broom (and a pull up bar). It works amazingly well. I am feeling a bit whiney and unmotivated lately but I have been on plan and I suppose that is the most important thing. Anyhow hi from lurkdom and happy valentines day everyone.

WaterRat
02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Cool, Cheryl! That looks like fun. My DH is not a dog lover, so no chance of us ever doing it, but all the same.....

I'm pretty much over feeling puny. Plan to back to the routine tomorrow.

jamsk8r
02-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks, ladies! I feel uncomfortable just looking at pics like that, thinking about what it felt like to be that big. I feel much better now!

Had planned to lift tonight, then have a run, but had company drop in just as I was getting warmed up, so ended up just doing a long run. It felt good, and now I should sleep like a rock! :)

Hikerchick, great idea for making a lat pulldown with the band! I've had to get creative myself with the workout equipment, so I can relate.

Mel
02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
:wave: Hickerchick! How have you been?

I'm headed to work even tho we are closed today. I went home sick on Friday and don't want to use up my vacation days. Plus there is just s much to do!

Somehow I pulled/inflamed or otherwise did something to a muscle in my back. I think it started with that pushup program and has just gotten steadily worse even though I stopped the pushups. It is incredibly painful at this point. I had to do the elliptical minus the arms, and will be doing a modified lower body workout today at the gym...probably mostly all those machines I tell people to stay away from :lol: I don't think I can lift plates to load a bar, or hold heavy enough dumbbells to make a difference. I see lots of body weight lunges and squats in my future for a while.

Cheryl- I understand completely about the discomfort of looking at "before" pictures. I find that very difficult to do (and there aren't that many, I was camera phobic), and often cringe when family pictures are pulled out.

Off to the closed office- I hope I get the alarm code right!

Mel

ennay
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
hmmm...well I did a new routine at the gym today with the trainer. Lower weight higher rep, but on the other hand I can barely type right now. 8 sets each of 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest on consecutive push exercises. By the last set it was down to about 4 reps. ACK.

Shannon in ATL
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi guys -
I've been working on the lower body exercises with the swiss ball for the last few days and I have to say I never had an appropriate level of respect for the swiss ball before... I sneezed a few minutes ago and the tensing in my abs was not very comfortable... :o

Only one more week to go before back to the doctor to discuss my post-surgical progress and to talk about running and lifting... Crossing my fingers I can get back to normal next Monday, but prepared to wait two more weeks until I officially reach six weeks...

jamsk8r
02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I can't believe I'm still up. :faint: I got sidetracked at the crossfit website looking at videos. :D

Did shoulders and abs tonight. Tried some new plank variations: two hands on a basketball, one hand on the floor/one hand reaching out in front...those were fun and challenging. Tried OH squats with some weight (have just been using a stick), tried 30 lbs and just could not get down more than a few inches. :?: Frustrating! I just switched to back and front squats, since I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my form.

Mel, it's nice to know I'm not the only one!

Ennay, I've done a few workouts like that and enjoy them for a change of pace.

Shannon, can you share which exercises you were doing? We're always looking for new evil exercises to try!

Okay, I sleep now!

Lydia227
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Go to bed Cheryl. By the way, you do look fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pic with your dogs. Maybe one day soon I'll load up some of my before pics too. That would be a maybe. :devil: They are hard to look at for me too. Like you what bothers me the most is how physically uncomfortable I was in that shape.

Mel: Oh no, back pain for you too?! :hug: Is yours more thoracic? Mine is lumbar. For the first time I took two Alleves yesterday and made a point not to do heavy back squats or 1 legged sldl. I think that and lots of knee to chest stretches yesterday helped. I am feeling better than I have for days with this. Thank goodness. See...I'm learning. When injured put pride away and back off. Rest is a good thing. Pain is a signal that something is misaligned or needs to be rested.

One thing I am really concerned about right now is my blood pressure. I was weaned off my meds maybe a month ago. Maybe a little more. :dunno: During my assessment with a trainer Saturday he took my blood pressure as a baseline. It was 160/89. OMG. I freaked. I have been an anxious mess since then. I checked it again on Sunday and it was 158/89. Damn. So much for diet and exercise. Hypertension may just be genetic for me. ~sigh~ I have an appointment with my doc next Monday. I know he will just advice me to begin taking the meds again. What a disappointment though. I've worked really hard at this, I was ready for my assessment and it was a no go because they won't even touch you if you are reading that high. (can't say I blame them) But I really wanted to find and measure my imbalances.

Okay. It's crunch time and I need to study like :devil: for the next couple of weeks. I've already prepped my kids, "Mom's not trying to be mean...she's just going to need a few days to focus and then things will be back to our kind of normal :crazy: again." :lol: I might just need to go into lurk mode for a little bit, but I'm here. Just so you all know. :s:

sportmom
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh no Lydia!! I'm so sad to hear about the bp coming back to haunt you. Well, if it's meds, it's meds, right? Do you have any symptoms - no pounding, no headaches from lifting? I know it's a silent problem, but thought you might notice a difference since it kind of turned on a dime for you.

Will miss you over the next couple of weeks but look forward to sharing the joy of your great test scores in about a month!!

Shannon in ATL
02-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Lydia - so sorry to hear about your BP. My mom has freakishly high BP so it is something I worry about myself. Hope you get it under control. And, good luck in your studying!

Cheryl - I'll be glad to post the links to the exercises when I get home tonight. I did more last night and am totally feeling it. Don't know if they will be as tough to anyone else, but they are beating me down. :-) I'm not the most coordinated individual and balancing on the ball is harder than I thought!

I'm at the hospital all day today with my MIL - she had surgery for uterine cancer this morning.

midwife
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking of you and your MIL today, Shannon.

WaterRat
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your BP Lydia. I really think there is a genetic component as well as a lifestyle one. You've done a lot to try to alleviate the problem and I think you don't need to feel you're a failure at all! Think where it would be if you hadn't lost weight and gotten in shape..... My DH who has never been overweight, and is in terrific shape has high BP - kills him to take meds, but hey, I'd like him around longer. :) He also has an acid reflux problem he takes meds for and tries to go without every so often - it comes right back. :shrug:

Man a contentious meeting this morning with lots of talk, no action except to form a "working group" to continue the discussion ..... Sigh.

I'll be here tomorrow than gone til Sunday! YAY! I'm going to a quilt retreat where as the name says, I get to retreat from work and home, and to quilt with 29 of my friends :) It's held at a camp and they feed us lunch and dinner. I have healthy breakfasts and defined snacks packed (yup, even some dark chocolate) and am resolved to stay away from the junk food table that always exists at these events. It's a pain to pack up everything for 3 days, but I get so much more done than at home. A friend will come in to feed the kitties, and I'm off guilt-free. :)

Mel
02-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Have fun, Pat. Used to do a lot of machine quilting, but hand quilting drove me nuts. Now I can't see well enough to even try :(

My should/back/neck is finally healing. I haven't done any upper body since last week- just lots of legs and cardio. Did a treadmill run this morning with no pain, but will miss lunch time lift due to meetings. My boss is trying to talk me into joining a Wed. night yoaga class with her- I may do it. Maybe venture a light upper body workout tomorrow if nothing fires up again :carrot:

Shannon- I hope all went well for your MIL yesterday.

Lydia- There's such a huge genetic component to BP. You've worked so hard and literally done everything you could. Happy studying ;)

Off to meetings in Philadelphia today- and it's supposed to snow :p The drive is dreadful at the best of times!

Mel

midwife
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Philadelphia? How exciting!! I know you are going there to work, but have you ever run up those stairs like Rocky? Yes, I am a huge dork, but someday I want to do that. And everyone around will think: TOURIST!

Lydia, you deserve great props for controlling what you can control. Certainly your BP would be even higher if you weren't so fit and focused on exercise and nutrition.

Pat, have fun at your quilting retreat. I've had (yes HAD!) to make a couple of quilt squares lately for some pregnant ladies and the whole time I just prayed my bobbin wouldn't run out of thread cause I don't remember how to reload it. Pretty sad, huh?

Lydia227
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Mel: Careful during your drive today. Hope the meeting is productive to warrant the trip. Oh. And please take the yoga class. It's such a beautiful way to meet the flexibility component of fitness. At least I think so. Just don't let the instructor sit on your back. :lol: No serious here. They get all excited when they work with me and think I should be able to bend all the way. Not. Go gentle. :yes:

Shannon: :goodluck: to your MIL. I hope you are doing well too.

Pat: You so deserve a nice retreat such as this. Glad you found a cat sitter and can go free of mind. Enjoy the surroundings of your friends. I don't quilt but do have morning "retreats" with my girlfriends as well. Actually, there are several circles I get looped into and I always feel so "nurtured" after leaving. It's good to surround ourselves with friends. 'Specially after the types of meetings you just described. ~sigh~ :hug:

Yep. I'm at peace with the BP thing. I'm going back on the meds and know that its not just something that I totally within my control. It really is okay. I also know the difference between being on them and not. It's subtle, but there is a difference. I feel so much calmer when taking them too. I think it may be why I've been feeling this low level of anxiety. It must be my body's response to the higher bp. And all this while I've been blaming it on the uncertainty of the economy. :s:

Okay. Another marathon day of studying. DS2 is in preschool this morning so it will be much easier today. :lol:

Shannon in ATL
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Mel - I'm glad your back is starting to feel better. Hope the drive today doesn't make it worse again, and be careful in the snow!

Pat - your retreat sounds like fun. You have been running pretty hard it seems lately, so relax and unwind!

Lydia - hmm... wonder if I can find a medication to take to help my low level anxiety from the economy... hmm.... I'm glad that the meds are helping. Good studying!

Cheryl - your pic with your dogs looks great! You looked like you were having a great time!

My MIL came through her surgery fine - they did a full hysterectomy with lymph nodes and also removed her appendix because the doctor found a mass on it. We have to wait until we get everything back to see if that mass was cancer as well. She was in a room and settled by noon yesterday, should be walking around this morning. I'm worn out - getting up at 3am yesterday to get her to the hospital by 5, then staying at the hospital until almost 9pm wore me right out...

Shannon in ATL
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Cheryl - those swiss ball exercises I was talking about - I've been doing these three for legs that I got from Lydia in another thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czf-1snzG2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvncAvg8sk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y03dkaK1O0

And, the ones that have been killing my abs are these -
Side crunch - the balance on this one is still really hard for me, I'm not moving fully in the correct plane yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODSOEXem56Q&feature=related

I can't do very many of the reverse crunch yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEUou_iKgF4&feature=related

I can do the regular version of this bridge pretty well, the one legged version is harder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VT4q_lJZ0&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VT4q_lJZ0&
feature=related)

I've also been doing the basic swiss ball crunch and some of the twists - they are really helping my balance on the ball. I don't think mine has enough air in it, though...

I'm really liking the Ridgeline Fitness videos for the ball - downloaded them onto my iPod. There are several that I haven't gotten up to yet.

WaterRat
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks, gals. I'm getting excited to go. I packed up my projects to work on last night. And my non-refrigerated food. Clothes are easy - jeans and a couple t-shirts, underwear, pj's..... I have to bring my own bedding and towels as well. I'm just getting a sleeping bag out of the camping stuff.

Mel - I absolutely do not do hand-quilting! :) I love my sewing machine.... It's ready to go too. Oh, and have to remember the light....

So unless it snows a whole bunch, my exercise will be walks around the camp (I've never been there, so no idea what's available).

Today I'm hitting it hard at work and trying to get some things finished up. I have a number of things with March/April deadlines which are coming up fast (and one with a 2/27 deadline - that's on the top of the list).

Shannon - hoping your MIL is doing okay, and they don't find more than they knew about. I had a hysterectomy (uterus only) in 1980 and they took my appendix as a matter of "you don't need, we're here, let's take it out." My sister on the other hand had first her appendix out, then an ovarian cyst, then gall bladder....

Mel - have fun in Philly. Like Midwife, it's a place on my wishlist to visit.

Mel
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
The weather report was wrong, just slush :D

Midwife- I have run up those stairs! Many times as a kid...but a few years ago DD and I were going to a special exhibit and ended up in a mob scene at the base of the stairs. Some guy came along with a clip board and asked if we wanted to be extras in a video that was being filmed by...ta da... Will Smith! We signed the releases and sprinted up the stairs to meet him! We eventually saw the video and dd was fleetingly visible in it and I, mercifully, was not :)

Mel

midwife
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
That's cool, Mel!

sportmom
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Ha! I have 2 Will Smith's on my iPod!

Summer, summer, summer-tiiiiiime! (Makes me happy to listen to when it's cold outside)

jamsk8r
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Shannon, thanks for the links. Wow, that reverse crunch looks, well, impossible! I might need a helmet to try that one! Like you, I don't think I've been giving the swiss ball it's proper respect!

Lydia, my friend sent me a pic from a scooter run that we did on Valentine's day (last Sat). Not on the scooter, but me and my dog Grace at the rest stop. Of course, with my big orange "so you can see me a mile away" coat on, it's hard to tell the diff, lol. (I'll have to attach it, since I haven't gotten as far as using photobucket or another photo hosting site yet.)

Pat, enjoy your retreat!

Fran and Midwife, :wave:!

Yesterday the boy (ds 12) and I spent some time working on the mushing cart, which we're taking for a run tomorrow. We've putzed around with it in the neighborhood, but this will be our first "real" run with the cart. Today we're going to do some gardening, and hope to rig up a climbing rope...the boy can climb it, and I can try to do the baby version of pulling myself to standing from the ground. I'd better quit putzing on the computer and do something useful now!

Shannon in ATL
02-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Cheryl - funny that you mention the helmet and the reverse crunch today - I rolled off backwards last night and bumped the top of my head into the wall when my cat came in and rubbed against my leg scaring me... :)

sportmom
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Seeing the giant spiders and worms that sometimes show up in my basement, I totally understand freaking out when something fuzzy touches your leg unexpectedly (and you don't have sight of it!) Too funny!

Gosh, today for the first time in a long time, I'm not hungry. I ate some fat! :lol3: I had a "real" (ie, not natural!) PB sandwich for lunch today and even though I used a very small amount of pb (2 tbsp) it was such a difference to eat enough food of substance. Got rid of the, "wow, I just ate and I'm still hungry" feeling. Has also stayed with me for longer than 3 hours too.

I'm struggling to find good abs work that I can feel results from. I've tried crunches, ball v-ups, reverse crunches, etc. Next I think I have to move on to decline crunces. I've tried everything in both books and the website. Except the ball raises, which hurt my back and cause my hip flexors to feel like they're going to spasm for some reason. :dizzy:

So that's the latest here. Snow again this weekend, sigh. Did ya'll know that we switch time (spring forward) on March 7?? longer days only 2 more weeks away! That's a reason to celebrate!!

nelie
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Snow? Are you sure? I just checked the weather report for my area and no rain/snow expected. Saturday should be beautiful :)

I banged my arm good this morning and it hurts to hold anything or even make a fist... I'm guessing no weights today... Its alright I already had my physical therapy session this morning although it was fairly light. The physical therapist is doing a lot of manual work on me which means lots of pain and wanting to punch him. Oh well maybe I'll be 'fixed' somehow.

Mel
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Fran- what is it that is missing for you in your ab/core workouts? It sounds like you are doing plenty of different exercises. The only thing else I'd suggest which doesn't put a lot of stress on your back/neck is using hanging ab straps. But I know you workout at home, so that may not be an option.
Try all those same exercises using some weigh held either in your hands or a small db between your feet, It's amazing how different 5 pounds more feels. Or you can use a band to increase the resistance.

I love the ball reverse crunch! I didn't know it had a name- it's what I was doing when I kept falling on my head a few weeks ago and entertaining the entire cardio machine section of the gym :dizzy: I cheat and hold onto a dance barr behind my head. I'll have to try the wall press like in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEUou_iKgF4&feature=related), I'm sure that is harder.

I did a full body workout with some weird balance stuff today. No overhead anything, tho. Cut my weights by about half...the heaviest thing I picked up were 25 pound dbs for chest presses, so I was very restrained and was a good girl. No pain!:carrot::carrot: In fact, I feel better :) Yay for exercise...tho my dh is attributing my recovery to actually having rested and not done any upper body lifting for 5 days. Husbands! What do they know?

Nelie- what is wrong with your arm? I can't remember why you are going to PT :(

Good day for me...patting myself on the back :)

Mel

sportmom
02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know Nelie, that was dh telling me that. And then the soccer coach emails to say he'll be canceling practice due to the rain and cold weather on Sunday. They must both get their forecasts from the Spike channel! lol
Mine says 42 Sat with snow after midnite possible and 40 Sunday. Not that great. But if the wind just stops, I"ll be happy. It keeps me up at nite.

nelie
02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Mel - I banged my arm hard into the car door when trying to wrangle my pups. I am going to physical therapy because I've had knee problems and I wanted to run and well I had issues so I started seeing the physical therapist to work out some of those issues. Of course this morning I woke up with an aching back. I swear I'm breaking down!

Fran - I hate the wind too, it gets bad but hasn't been too bad at nite here. Yesterday it was beautiful in the morning and then the clouds moved in and wind picked up.

sportmom
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi! Where is everyone??

I'm here sick - blech, bad cold, sneezy, congested, body aches, but fever is holding right around 100.5, so that's pretty low as far as fevers go. I won't complain as this is my first time being sick so far this winter with only one month to go until spring.

Nelie, did you get the snow this morning? Nothing stuck, just pretty to look at. It snowed from about 8-noon here. Now it's the wind again. Of course, at bedtime!

I got my HIIT workout in yesterday before I got to feeling too badly, so that was some luck. After suffering with stiff/swollen backs of the knees sensation the last 2 times I ran, I decided to take it down to a walk again and throw in some inclines. Thought i was gonna die! You can get every bit of as hard a workout in on walking on inclines as you can running. I had tried to walk on the highest incline at 10 but quickly learned I needed to take it down a notch.

Tomorrow's the end of wk 4 for those of us doing BFL. I'll be posting some results tomorrow once I feel like standing up long enough to do measurements. :dizzy:

nelie
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Fran,
Funny, forecast didn't have any snow but yup this morning it snowed and then the sun came out. We went for a 2.5 mile walk with the pups afterwards. The wind is something fierce.

Good news is my arm feels better, better news is I'm starting to feel the SAD fog lifting from my head. Which means I hope full motivation comes back soon.

Mel
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Good news, nelie!

It slushed here- little bit of snow, then nothing.

Both my arms and shoulders are now in pain. I did a leg workout entirely on machines- the pin driven ones, because I can't even pick up a weight to rack it.
I have to admit that the injury to my right side is self-inflicted: I played Wii tennis endlessly on the weekend :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry I disappeared for days everyone! My MIL took a pretty strong downturn on Thursday, couldn't keep any food down, and we were only on clear liquids at that point, and was pretty sick through Saturday morning. Finally held down solid food Saturday afternoon and improved pretty quickly after that. I stayed with her at the hospital overnight Saturday night and took her home Sunday afternoon. She is sore but better - didn't walk as much as they wanted at the hospital so is only now clearing fluid from her lungs, which seems to hurt like heck coughing with the incision... :(

I had my one month follow-up yesterday and am cleared for anything and everything. I'm going to start getting back into the lifting slowly, and will likely increase my ball exercises. I've discovered I really like those even when I'm rolling off the ball onto the floor! :) Didn't get any exercise in yesterday, went to visit MIL after work. Slept late this morning, but am planning a run after work and some ball work after the presidential address. Woo hoo!

Hope everyone is doing well!

elisa822
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm here too! I have been popping by often, to read what everyone else is up to but I haven't felt like I had much to say!!

Okay, let's try..the weather here is so-so. Most of the snow melted a week or so ago but then we've had a few little bits here and there. But it's cold!! It's almost March and I'm about ready for some consistently above freezing temperatures. I don't think that's too much to ask, is it? ;)

I can't wait until I can get out for a run outside but I've been slacking in my running lately. Hate the treadmill so I've been doing HIIT to stop the treadmill boredom and to see if it will boost some calorie burning. It's definitely helped the boredom but I'm not doing it often enough and I need some SS cardio so I can get right back to my 5k runs when it's a bit nicer out.

I'm still loving my once a week yoga and I've been trying some BFL workouts too, for something different. The scales not really moving but that's mostly because I tend to treat every weekend like a free for all!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there's not enough days in the week (or maybe it's still too much TV time ;)) to get it all done but I'll just keep fighting the fight.

shannon - it's great to hear that your MIL is doing better and that you are back to full exercising! :carrot:

Fran - hope you're feeling better and congrats on the BFL successes so far!!

dixied
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi! Where is everyone??

I got my HIIT workout in yesterday before I got to feeling too badly, so that was some luck. After suffering with stiff/swollen backs of the knees sensation the last 2 times I ran, I decided to take it down to a walk again and throw in some inclines. Thought i was gonna die! You can get every bit of as hard a workout in on walking on inclines as you can running. I had tried to walk on the highest incline at 10 but quickly learned I needed to take it down a notch.

Yep, those inclines are killers. I'm training for a 5k on March 14, and after I do my 20 min HITT for BFL, I do the rest of the 3 miles on inclines. I read in some fitness magazine that using inclines will help "tone" you. Isn't it amazing what they will print. I hate that word!

jamsk8r
02-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Hey ladies. :wave:

I did it. I signed up for a beginner's class at the local Crossfit affiliate. It's 3 times a week for 4 weeks. I'd rather have signed up just for the membership, but now they have this new thing where you have to take this beginner's class and pass a test first. I'm okay with it, though. Hopefully the class will be good and cover the oly lift basics, which is what I hope to learn. You can only do so much on your own with books and videos before you figure out a coach would be mighty helpful, lol. So, it looks like I'll be heftin' the old pvc again for a while. :strong: I'm excited about it. I know I can't afford to keep the membership up for the long haul, as it's just too expensive, but I'm hoping I can do at least 2 or maybe 3 months, then I will hopefully have the basics down enough to continue on my own with the oly lifts. At least, that's the plan.

Nelie, glad you're feeling better. :)

Mel, sorry to hear about your injury. :( Hope you're back to normal soon!

Shannon, congrats on getting the all-clear for lifting! :carrot:

Fran, can't wait to hear about your progress! My results haven't been stunning, but I'm getting the slow and steady weight loss, so I'm happy with that.

Elisa, glad to hear you're getting some variety in the workouts. I've been running dogs more, and all the running from that has left me a bit wiped out when it comes time to workout. I'm still doing my workouts, but it's a slog at times. I'm gonna try moving the workouts to earlier in the day and see if that helps.

Dixie, :wave: I cringe when I hear that word, as well, or when I see these mags at the checkout promising miracle weight loss and all this other garbage.

4rabbit
02-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi Cheryl,

GFY about the crossfit membership. What is oly lifting ?

Rabbit

Mel
02-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Olympic Lifts = oly

Cheryl, you're right. Some things you just can't learn from books and videos. That's where I really needed a live person teaching me so I wouldn't knock my teeth out of give myself a concussion. Have fun with the crossfit!

I NEED to lift! It's making me crazy just to do cardio and machine legs. My neck/shoulders and back still hurt most of the day and at night. I'm sure being at a computer 16 hours/day doesn't help. I may try another light upper body today.

I've been playing with our new wii fit balance board. The first time I did the body test it told me "balance is not your strong suit, is it? Do you find yourself tripping over your feet?" and "You can improve your balance by becoming stronger. I think you are a little weak." After giving it the finger, I practiced their balance test. :dizzy: I don't need to be dissed by a video game!

Of to the wars....

Mel

midwife
02-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes, but can you give it the finger while you're doing the balance test, Mel? :lol: When you can, you will know you have mastered the Wii balance challenge, my little grasshopper!

nelie
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Cheryl,
Crossfit sounds fun! I'd love to do it, there are supposedly a couple gyms near me but I never looked into them.

The wii balance stuff just takes practice. Once you get used to it, you can master it. Its unlike balancing on a bosu which gives you immediate feedback (ie falling).

Shannon in ATL
02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Good morning!

Did my first workout on the Weider this morning since surgery, and I'm reminded why people kept telling me to start back slowly... Might have gone a little fast... :o I found that my leg work is pretty much at the same level as before, isolated arm exercises are about the same, I started back and shoulder at the same level, but had to drop a little for set 2 for the pulldowns because they pulled the chest muscles as well, straight chest exercises are down about 40%, pushups were down by a lot more... I could do 60 before surgery in four sets of 15, I could do 15 last night in three sets of 5... So, that feels like starting over, but I can do it :)

Elisa - I finally got outside for a run last night and really enjoyed it! Hope your weather warms up so you can get out there!

Dixie - I get frustrated by those magazines sometimes. I have a friend who goes to Curves several days a week and does one circuit on the machines, we've been discussing the efficiency of her workout. She brought me a magazine article last week talking about how the lower intensity circuit work is 'toning, not bulking' and that the trainer at Curves told her the same thing. Now, I don't know if they mean as low a lower intensity as the level she seems to workout at... She has been going for over a year with no noticeable results...

Nelie - glad you are feeling better!

Fran - I've only had one cold myself this season, hoping to make it through til spring without another one... Hope you feel better!

Mel - I was getting to that crazy tired of cardio and leg exercises place myself, so I feel you! Be careful and don't overdo! :) WiiFit doesn't like my balance either... I don't own one, so can't practice...

Cheryl - the crossfit classes do sound cool! Enjoy them!

jamsk8r
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL! Mel and Midwife tried to kill me...I was eating broccoli while reading Mel's post, then I got to the Wii fit balance part, and nearly choked to death, cuz you should not laugh while trying to eat broccoli. Okay, I'm fine now. Mel, I would be bored with that routine, too. Maybe you should use this time to work on your balance. :devil: Seriously, though, what could you do...can you get somebody else to load some weight plate lever machines for you? use the dreaded smith machine? (can't believe I said that) Box jumps? drag pulling a tire or weight sled with a harness or belt? Or, just put the old car in neutral and push it around with your butt. ;)

Shannon, glad you are back in the game, even if it's with a little setback. 4 sets of 15 pushups? I don't think I could do one straight set of 15. ETA: I meant to comment on the curves thing. I thought about joining there when I first started, because there's one a mile from my house. I did NOT join there, because the ladies here know that ANY workout only is effective for so long, then you'd better be adding weight or changing the intensity or changing the movements, something, otherwise you just end up going through the motions. Sorry to hear that your friend has been sucked into the whole "toning" lie. :(

Rabbit, sorry for the code talk. Tomato (Alena) is always getting on me for that, and I still forgot! What Mel said!

Nelie and anybody I forgot, :wave:!

Did some walking this morning, will do some crossfit skills practice and probably a short workout of that type today, then skating tonight, for however long I can last...my feet are a little out of shape from being off skating for about 6 weeks.

sportmom
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Curves is good for getting immobile people back into some level of activity. Even worse though than being machines is that I have read they are pneumatics - you know, like the thing that shuts your screen door after you open it - those little tubes? So you are really on getting resistance on the upper piece and the return is completely like a door closing on you. It's only 50% of a not-so-hard to start with workout. But like I said, great as a first step if someone has been really inactive.

Still sick here. Broke out the humidifiers last nite and got some good sleep at least from that. Called my doc for a refill on my asthma meds bc I am wheezing on my exhales. All good colds end in my chest for some reason. I haven't had bronchitis in many years, but I get wheezy after coughing. All my meds expire b/w colds bc I only use the inhaler once a year for that, but it makes all the difference in not rattling. I think I will try cardio tomorrow. It's getting waay too close to being a week since I worked out.

Mel
02-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Cheryl- you should be a trainer! :lol: That's all the stuff I made my clients do. Unfortunately, I'm at a conventional gym now and there aren't things like sleds, old trucks, tires, etc. Not even boxes to jump onto. I make do ;)

I did a wimpy chest workout with NO PUSH UPS and was fine until about 15 minutes ago when my back.shoulder started up again. Tomorrow I'm going to try a light back workout if I can.

Fran- hope you feel better soon!

nelie
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
I've been watching the biggest loser online lately and I'm amazed at some of the stuff people do. Jumping on boxes really freaks me out. I know my butt would fall. Only part I don't like about watching the episodes is its 1.5 hours. So I can watch people exercise for 1.5 hours while I sit on my butt :)

Fran - Hope you feel better!!

Speaking of biggest loser - I saw this on there
http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/
TRX exercise system. It may be a big overpriced but it seems pretty cool.

4rabbit
02-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi girls,

You are contagious!
I am typing with sore arms from UBWO this morning. And I'm actually looking forward to tomorrowmorning, when I'll have my 25 min wog on the treadmill. It is really strange but it is like I'm getting addicted to these morning workouts as I crawl out of bed. I am even reading the weird suggestions about cars, sleds & tires with a little voice in the back of my head saying "I wonder if that is fun?"
I'm glad to read that there are a number og 45+ 5feet 2inches tall ladies out there who share this warped idea of having a good time.

Mel, I hope your injury heala quickly
Cheryl, sportsmom: sets of 15 pushups ???? WOW! I'm very happy that I now can do 2 sets of 10 pushups as part of my UBWO. And the last ones are very very hard.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I've been playing with our new wii fit balance board. The first time I did the body test it told me "balance is not your strong suit, is it? Do you find yourself tripping over your feet?" and "You can improve your balance by becoming stronger. I think you are a little weak." After giving it the finger, I practiced their balance test. :dizzy: I don't need to be dissed by a video game!

Of to the wars....

Mel

:rofl: OH MEL. You too! One of those things invaded our home as well. I got the same results from this thing and had the same reaction. :devil: More like, yeah right. I know better.

I am concerned about your back. Do you think that this was a result of the 100 pushup challenge or has this been something that was developing progressively and was pushed over the edge with the pushups. :hug:

I do hope you are able to lift soon. It's so difficult to accept modifications when you really feel the need to move some weights around. Had my own experience with that this morning. It's been two weeks since I've done a decent back squat. Two weeks! No. I'm not bitter. :rolleyes: My lower body workouts have really suffered in the last month. Just when I think that the lower back thing is relaxing and doing better I do something stupid like run on the treadmill and inflame it again. :doh: I have this little mantra in my head, "would your rather squat or run this week, squat or run..." Squat usually wins but once I get on the blasted treadmill I just. cant. walk. the whole time. :dizzy: Anyway, I feel your frustration here. :^:

Cheryl!: OMG. Crossfit. (bowing down to you and wishing you great luck) DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OUT. Tell us EVERYTHING about your experience there. I'm so curious about the place and the affiliates. Oly lifts. You are going to be walking away with a wonderful experience. Even if it is for just a few months it will be worth every moment as you continue your home practice. Enjoy. :goodvibes:

Shannon: Wow, you are really back into it! Good for you! There is a lot of healing going on with your surgery so be careful with how much energy you expend in creating additional micro traumas in your chest as well. I hope your MIL is doing well too.

Fran: Look. At. You! I saw your current BFL results in another thread. You are really booking on this program. :high: You must be so proud of what you have accomplished these four weeks. I hope you get over this bug soon too.

Hi girls,

You are contagious! I am even reading the weird suggestions about cars, sleds & tires with a little voice in the back of my head saying "I wonder if that is fun?"
I'm glad to read that there are a number og 45+ 5feet 2inches tall ladies out there who share this warped idea of having a good time.
Rabbit

Oh Rabbit. But it is! It is! Find a place that offers these thing and you will never look at working out the same again. I was introduced to a weighted sled this weekend. It's a love hate thing. I hate it when I first have to get it moving, love it when it is moving, hate it when I slow down/laugh/fatigue myself and have to get it moving again.

(great lead in to my workout last Saturday)

Last Saturday I took a level 4 class referred to as the BYA class. I think it stands for BUST YOUR ***. And yep. It did. There were 6 stations. Two exercises to be performed at each station. Rep range was 8 to 12. The goal was to lift heavy. No breaks continuous workout for an hour and half.

The first round was a little tricky because I was trying to figure out how to implement the exercises. Fortunately I had a very kind partner who has taken the class before. I followed her lead.

Second time through was better. Third time through the circuit, I just wanted it to be over. With five minutes of the class remaining we did drills. If you weren't tired before, you could barely move after.

Oh geez, and I caught my reflection in the mirrors during the class. The thought was "Your a **** of a lot older than many of these people. What on earth are you doing?!" ~sigh~ Fortunately, there wasn't enough time to dwell upon that because the class was moving so quickly."

At one point, the trainer leading the class turned into a giant pepperoni pizza with green olives on me. It was all I could think about half way through the class. (For real) Needless to say I was all out of food in the muscles at that point.

After the class I came home, had a protein shake and fell asleep on the couch for an hour and half with my clothes and shoes still on. Graciously, my DH and DSs left be alone for a while. Anyway, there was a sled involved, a cube about 1/2 my height, lots of weighted balls, bosu balls, and pushups with plates on our backs. :goodvibes: So much fun. It changes with each class so I'm looking forward to doing this again soon.

I had my first appointment yesterday with a trainer in almost three years. This guy's great. He's more of a stickler with developing good form than I am. Okay. Maybe that's not completely true, he just knows exactly what he's looking for than I do. But it is refreshing to work with someone who "gets" it.

I'm learning some good things to add into my routine. After an assessment I tested into level two. ~ehh~ I tried to debate it but didn't get anywhere. :devil: I did really well on some things, not so well with ahem (did someone say BALANCE) Level two is more of a restructuring phase. Getting all of the stabilizing and the muscles that act as synergists, muscles that help the movement as back up, to do their job more efficiently with the prime movers. It's slow, arduous work. Count rep is like 1.2.3.4.hold 1.2. But, hey, if it's going to help me move on without injury later, it's worth it.

Sorry the post is so long today. I've just had a lot to catch up on with all of you. Still studying. I'm so looking forward to getting this test behind me. My bathroom needs to be cleaned! Seriously, it's all I do right now is study. What do I know, a little of everything and a whole lot of nothing. :lol3:

Honestly though, I couldn't be happier. :^: I'm getting some great workouts in, learning what I love in the time I'm not in the gym, and receiving incredible support from my DH and girlfriends. :goodvibes: Everyone should feel this at some point in their lives. (Yes I just finished my workout an hour ago and these are the endorphins speaking) :s:

Have a great morning everyone.

Shannon in ATL
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Good morning -
Lydia - I was actually thinking about the added stress to the healing chest last night, realized I probably got a little carried away yesterday... And, my soreness today backs that up. Nothing that feels damaged or anything, my upper arms are actually the worst... So, I'm going to tamp down the enthusiasm a little and take it easier next time. :)

Cheryl - pushups were my obsession late last year - I think it was September when I could do 3 and decided I wasn't happy with that. Between actual pushups and the plank/lower down/up to cobra that is in almost all of my yoga videos multiple times I worked on them pretty much every day after that until I got up to the 60 in January. Don't know if I'll ever get back up to that point! :)

Fran - DH has asthma as well. This year has been harder on him than the last couple of years, don't know why. Hope you feel better!

Rabbit - I found myself thinking the same thing reading about sleds and stuff. Funny!

Nelie - the boxes freak me out a little too...

Well, as I said earlier in this post, I'm pretty sore today from yesterday's workout... I wondered at the time if I was pushing it too hard, and today I feel a definite yes. I did ten minutes of core work this morning and that was all I had in me when I got up. Hope to run this afternoon, but it is raining and I need to clean my floors, so exercise could be me and my floormate instead of something more formal. I might wear my HRM as I clean - I've wondered before how many calories that burns - I always feel worn out when I'm done! :)

Have a good day everyone!

dixied
02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
And, the ones that have been killing my abs are these -
Side crunch - the balance on this one is still really hard for me, I'm not moving fully in the correct plane yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODSOEXem56Q&feature=related

I can't do very many of the reverse crunch yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEUou_iKgF4&feature=related

I can do the regular version of this bridge pretty well, the one legged version is harder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VT4q_lJZ0&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VT4q_lJZ0&
feature=related)

I've also been doing the basic swiss ball crunch and some of the twists - they are really helping my balance on the ball. I don't think mine has enough air in it, though...

I tried the reverse crunches this morning, and promptly fell off the ball. I got a good workout in from the hysterical laughing though. :D

WaterRat
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
:wave: Hi - I'm home from my retreat (okay, was home Sunday), DH is home (Monday) and my life - mostly work - has gone into into warp speed. I have several deadlines for tomorrow, so things should then slow down a bit and I can actually have a life again! :lol: It won't last long as I go to a library conference on 3/12-3/16, then DH leaves again (to visit family in New England) on 3/19, and I join him on 3/26-4/7. I hate to think what havoc work can cause in that time. April is just as bad, but I won't bore you with that.

The retreat was great. I really needed that time away from everything, visiting with friends, bonding with my fabric and sewing machine, someone else cooking for me, no cell phone or computer. :) And it is really nice to have DH home as well. He had a good time hiking in Death Valley (though it was cool, and actually rained the day he arrived), and then in Colorado while visiting friends there.

Lydia and CHeryl - you're wearing me out just reading your posts!

I actually joined Curves here when our gym closed a few years ago (it was closed about 14 months). It was boring, boring, boring and thank goodness I got a cut rate because I didn't use it the whole year I'd signed up for. It only took a few weeks for me to outstrip the hydraulics. THeir idea of going harder is to go faster, which ruins any form. THough not a criticism of all Curves, ours was dirty, had very little variation in music, and was run by teenagers who only wanted to visit with their friends. Plus it had no showers. It's since moved to a new building with a new franchise owner, so may have changed in that respect. I ended up driving over 1/2 hour each way to another gym til the one in town opened with new owners.

Mel - hope you back is feeling better. I think I need access to a Wii - maybe the library should buy one. :lol:

4rabbit
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Pat,

If you have not wii-ed yet, the library should definitely get one!
But you might have to beat the kids off it before you get a chance to play it.

Rabbit

Shannon in ATL
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I tried the reverse crunches this morning, and promptly fell off the ball. I got a good workout in from the hysterical laughing though. :D

I fell off the first several times, too! They are finally getting easier now, though... I only roll back and bump my head now, instead of falling all the way off the ball... :)

midwife
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi guys!! :wave:

Glad you had such a great workout Lydia!!

Re: sleds and such, we have a sled at my gym that is pretty heavy on its own and we push it and pull it. Last night the trainer popped 3 45-pound weights on it and was going to drop some more on it when I said, "Hey let me pull my training partner" (who is my 16 yo DD, about 140 pounds). So she hopped on and it was HARD but I pulled her across the gym and then I sat on it and she pulled me back. And I have about 12 pounds on her, so I was apologizing profusely :lol: for all the girl scout cookies I've eaten this week.

You know what I love best about weight lifting? Yeah, it's great to LOOK awesome and to build strength and to be a strong woman! But it is SOOOOO fun!! I have such a blast.We did BB squats with chains hanging on them and the noise was fabulous. I love it! I love being tough and strong and it's like playtime. So so great!!

Yesterday was a year since I signed up with my trainer. Since then, 9 of my friends have also signed up! I still learn something new everytime I go. I love it!

My stats 2/2/508:

weight 183, body fat % 26, lean mass 135.5 lbs, fat lbs 47.5

My stats 1/26/09:

weight 156 (after lunch!), body fat % 14.8, lean mass 132.9 lbs, fat lbs 23.1

Does weightlifting rock or what??

So, yeah, it's been a year since I posted asking opinions about the gym and getting stellar support and encouragement from Meg & Mel---it's gone so fast! Thanks so much to them and to everyone in this corner of 3FC.

I have some weight loss anniversaries---anniversaries of when I started this latest weight loss effort (9/28/07), anniversaries of when I hit 50 lbs lost (8/08), but I really consider 2/25 to be such a great anniversary. It is the birthday of my weightlifting self.

And weightlifting actually resembles birth in a lot of ways!

Happy lifting ladies!

Lydia227
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Yesterday was a year since I signed up with my trainer. Since then, 9 of my friends have also signed up! I still learn something new everytime I go. I love it!

My stats 2/2/508:

weight 183, body fat % 26, lean mass 135.5 lbs, fat lbs 47.5

My stats 1/26/09:

weight 156 (after lunch!), body fat % 14.8, lean mass 132.9 lbs, fat lbs 23.1

Does weightlifting rock or what?? but I really consider 2/25 to be such a great anniversary. It is the birthday of my weightlifting self.

And weightlifting actually resembles birth in a lot of ways!

Happy lifting ladies!

Happy Anniversary :cheers: Midwife! :hug:

Mel
02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
:bravo: Midwife!

And big pats on the back to the rest of us just because :hug:

Lydia, nice to see you again! And if YOU are older than most in the classes, just think about me! That should make you feel like a teenager:)

Back is not worse...not better. I did a decent but lighter than usual back workout yesterday with a lot of ab work. I've finally mastered a plank on two stability balls (aka 'bows and toes). This has provided much hilarity for other gym members for the last 6 months :dizzy:

Mel

sportmom
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
:congrat: Midwife! Happy anniversary of your re-birthing day!

I am finally seeing the light at the end of this cold. Yeah, it's only been a week. :rolleyes: March is within view and soon the bulbs will be pushing up soon and we'll be complaining about the heat and the bugs! ;)

Shannon in ATL
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
:hat::woohoo: Congrats on your year, Midwife! :) Pulling your daughter on the sled does sound cool.

I'm really ready for spring... this month has been just terrible... MIL is back in the hospital - her incision started bleeding and leaking some clear pinkish fluid, so took her to the hospital and they admitted her at about 2:30 this morning. They think the wound is infected - took out the staples, have a wound control specialist coming to look at it this morning. If everything goes spectacularly well she might go home tomorrow, otherwise sometime next week. To add to that, DSS has been sick this week, running a fever, his mom has kept him home from daycare most of the week. He was fever free the last two days, today spiked a temp of 102.4 - she brought it down with meds and is taking him to daycare. So might have to go get him early today, too... blah...

Fran - glad you are nearing the end of your cold!

Mel - high five for the plank on the balls! That is another one that results in my falling on my face when I try it.. :)

Lydia227
02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Shannon: This has really been a rough period for you and you MIL. :crossed: Hoping for the best and that she will be comfortable at home soon.

Fran: Glad you are feeling better. Thanks so much for the reminder that spring is coming soon. The idea of flowers pushing up from the ground made me happy. (thanks)

Mel: Hang in there with that back.

Decent workout today. Clean eats. Really tired though. There is a cub scout banquet tonight so it'sgoing to be a busy night too. All good though.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Shannon in ATL
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks Lydia! It has been rough on everyone... We still don't have any updates on her condition, so I'm thinking it will be next week before she gets home... :(

And, I have a question for you - I read something you posted in another thread about reps of 8-12 for hypertrophy & strength, 15 or more for endurance. I tend to do two sets of 15 on most exercises, would I be better off to do 3 sets of 8-10?

Lydia227
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Shannon: That's a great question Shannon. Essentially the volume is the same right?

If you are doing 15 reps in your set I would suggest increasing the weight you are using. UNLESS! (see you are a special case Ms Post-op) you are talking about a movement that engages your chest muscles. :hug:

If it is your pecs, then you may want to stay at the same weight and add another set. Not necessarily a full set but gradually add and see how you are feeling. Generally, I would still stay within the range that does not create too much trauma in the chest mucles just yet. Heal, sister heal first. :^: If you don't I'm going to have to send you the link to my favorite rehab song..."I'm in repair." Okay, you get it anyway. I probably should have sent it to you sooner.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Im+in+repair&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=BVKoSePqJ5CMngf646TaDw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

jamsk8r
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Lydia (and Shannon), that's way too nice to be a punishment. Here. If Shannon doesn't take it easy, we'll make her watch this one until she cries uncle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHTb8wLCoDA

Okay, I'm gonna be good now.

Lydia, Rainier Crossfit (http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/) is the one I'll be going to. I'm doing the "On Ramp" class. It's their first time offering a beginner's group (think they've dealt with all beginners individually before), so it will be interesting. They seem like a fun group of folks, and I'm looking forward to what sounds like a little more social atmosphere, as opposed to the "ipods and don't talk to me" routine that is the norm at my Y. Not like I want to chat when you're in the middle of a set, but I like the idea of just everybody being supportive of each other and working out together, and maybe just being in a smaller gym where I might learn a few names to say hello to, KWIM? Your new gym, and your workout, sounds like torture, but I mean that in a good way, of course! Sweet! I promise to report everything for you from the Crossfit class and workouts. :)

Midwife, WTG with the sled pull, and to your daughter, too! I've only done the sled pull in my yard, using the drag sled I use for the dogs. I pulled it walking forward, and walking backward. Walking backward was killer for me, compared to walking forward. I tried sprinting with it, but the momentum seemed to make it too easy...maybe with more weight the sprints would feel more like work. Congrats on your weight lifting anniversary! I love it, too, and I'm also getting addicted to all the box jumps, olympic lifts, and such. I even tried jumping rope the other day, which I would never have tried a year ago, and I could still do it, though not very well, lol.

Mel, wish I knew what could help you feel better. All I know is that for crampy, twitchy muscles that are pulling things out of whack, rubbing alcohol helps to make them relax and quit tweaking. I buy that stuff by the jug since I use it for myself as needed for muscle soreness, and for my dogs after a long run or heavy weight pulling day. It's also good for taking the fluid out of swollen feet/legs/joints, which I used to get a lot when I was obese and/or spent too much time at the computer.

Nelie, I know what you mean about the box jumps. I was afraid to try it, so I started jumping up on the step up from my laundry room into my kitchen, which is only about 3 inches. Now I'm using an aerobic stepper with 2 risers, all I have at home, which is about 9 inches high. I feel more confident now that I could go a little higher than that, but don't have a box or anything the right height at home. The jumping is surprisingly fun, though! You should try it, if you get the urge, just start low, and build up as you get more confident. I didn't think I'd like it, but now I love jumping!

Fran, I'm going to make some more tea, then when I come back I'm going to check the BFL thread so I can see this progress Lydia is talking about! Hope you're over the cold soon!

sportmom
02-27-2009, 07:59 PM
How high would you guess that box on TBL to be? I was thinking it was the same as a step with 2 risers Cheryl; I wonder how close we'd be??

midwife
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys!!!

We have a set of boxes at my gym and some of the high school athletes can leap onto a box that is higher than my waist (and I'm 5'8"). I hate jumping on the boxes---even the smallest one. I have to do it next to the wall so I can reach out to steady myself. I'm scared I'm going to injure myself.

jamsk8r
02-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Fran, I haven't seen the box on TBL. Do you have a link to a video online?

4rabbit
02-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi all,

Mel - I hope your back goes better. That plank on 2 balls sounds like impossible to me!

Cheryl, lydia, WTG with your workouts!

Shannon: take it easy on your new assets!

I am very happy today because I yesterday bought myself some presents for my 50th birthday, due in 3 - 4 weeks: I bought a light lifting bar and some additional weights, and 2 risers for the stepup & e;evated foot exercises. I am extraordinarily happy with my new stuff. I already have about 50 kg of weight plates and a long BB, but the long BB alone is 10 kgs (22 pds) so I felt I needed a lighter one for the triceps & biceps stuff.

I can't wait to try my new toys,m but I'm into a major cleaning and picking up mode now, so I'll take advantage of that first.

Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

Depalma
02-28-2009, 07:25 AM
They used various sized boxes on the biggest loser. If I remember correctly, I think Joelle actually was using a step with just one or two risers all the way up to Bob (the first time they showed them) and Seone (unbelievable athleticism that weight!) the second time, that was using the large plyo box.

That large plyobox is probably the equivalent of a step with about 10-12 risers (on each side if you are using a two column step).

You can definitely start with a step with 2 risers if you'd like. Just continue to add risers as you progress. Like all other training it is about progression.

The disadvantage of using the step is that it is harder to train the landing as you get less audible feedback. It's not only about jumping onto the box, you must land softly. With a plyo step which usually has a cork-like covering, you won't really hear a good landing but you will still be able to hear a bad landing from across the gym. With the plastic, hollowed out nature of the club step, it is much harder to distinguish from sound as all the landings will be louder.

One advantage of using the club step is that if you undershoot your jump, they are much more forgiving than the metal base and front of the plyo step.

And of course, you aren't limited to one plyo step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEto8WMcSE&NR=1

Although he takes a running start.

I believe (and it's hard to tell for sure on TV) that the one that Bob and Seone jumped to was similar to the 42" in the video or perhaps slightly smaller, maybe 38" and they did a "pure" jump without a running start.

dixied
02-28-2009, 09:31 AM
That last video....made of CRAZY!

If I tried jumping anywhere, which I won't because I'm a klutz, I'd use the 8 inch drop from the main room in our house to the sunken living room. Except I'd be jumping onto the tile, which is slick. That's an ER visit waiting to happen.

Lydia227
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
My God. These people can jump almost as high as I am tall.

~Lydia now discovers a new fear...people who literally could jump over her if she is in their path~ :fr:

Shannon in ATL
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Lydia - I love that video! Cheryl, yours scared me a little! :)

I realized the folly of my Wednesday morning Weider extravaganza when my arms still hurt last night at the hospital, so I'm going to most definitely be careful and back off a bit. Interestingly, my chest muscles haven't hurt at all, except for one small spot that has been hurting off and on all along (right next to the nerve cluster under my right arm, according to the PS). So, my 15 v. 10 rep question was more for future planning than for use this week, I promise! :)

Oh my gosh - that jump was described as 'an easy 60 inch' jump... Wow... some people are crazier than me! :)

WaterRat
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh man, jumping that high is SCARY! I cannot jump at all due to my knees. My DH has taught himself to jump rope over the last year or so (boys didn't jump rope when we were growing up) and I wanted to try his fancy high-tech jumprope - couldn't even do that without a lot of pain :( Might be time to get some PT for them again.

sportmom
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
At the risk of this getting lost as we transition in the March thread, maybe someone can repost it there?

CHERYL -- this is for YOU!

The FRAN from FRAN! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_ZUn7F9yg

Mel
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Lydia :rofl: that was my thought! When I was training at the private studio, we had a few people and trainers who could do that. We also had a guy end up with a very bloody leg once.

When I incorporated jumping into clients' routines, I was AMAZED that some people just couldn't jump. Fear...but also in some cases they just could figure out which muscles to activate. Generally, jumping is not something that adults do unless it is a reaction and almost autonomic. For those people, I would start with a step with no risers at all, or even just jumps on the floor with the "target" marked. Usually within ten minutes most people could graduate to a low plyo box by increasing the height every two or three jumps. These were the same people who looked at that same box 10 minutes earlier and shook their head saying uh, NO! no way. I'm willing to bet that EVERYONE of them jumped like champs as kids.

One adjustment that eliminates some of the fear factor is to place a nice thick towel on the top and over the edge of the box. People rarely miss and usually clear it by many inches, but knowing that you might hit terry cloth instead of metal is comforting. Just don't trip!

Jumping sideways is even more entertaining. There are a lot of people who just can't figure that out at first :dizzy:

I've done a lot of jumps onto the medium plyo box that hits me at high-mid thigh level, probably about 24 inches. I once tried the double and was scared to death. Did it, didn't get a t-shirt, not going to do it again!

Mel

Lydia227
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh Fran! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. They look like they are having a way to much fun. Probably a love hate thing too. :lol: Better not to think about what you are going to put yourself through before hand and just jump in and do it.