Old 02-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #1  

Default New to this and need help!

I just began Atkin's today. I was very confused between book and website. I am going to stick to book so I am consistent. However, there is a book, Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook and it doesn't seem to follow the induction rules. Theres a seven day menu with different ideas to eat and then has the recipes at the back. On day 1 there is an orange cooler that uses strawberries and it list raspberries as dessert. According to the rules, you can not have fruits. That's where my confusion is coming from. There are several places with different recipes that look great and are listed for phase 1, but don't follow the rules. Can anyone help?

Also, I see several recipes using cocoa powder for phase 1--is that right?

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
Jennifer
jennmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

I'm by no means an expert, but hopefully Jerseygyrl will see this and respond (she's a wealth of knowledge). What I do recall her saying was to stay clear of the website and look at the 2002 book from Atkins. There should be no fruit at all during induction.
I know it's not much help, but wanted to at least respond. Stick to meat, cheese and eggs (IMO). Which book do you have?
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Jennifer,

to Atkins! A good rule of thumb is...anything written after Dr. Atkins passing in 2003 by Atkins Nutritionals Inc....IGNORE! I'll try to put this nicely, unfortunately the company seems more interested in profits than it does in adhereing to the Atkins plan the way Dr. Atkins wrote it. Stick to the book...2002 or prior versions. If you must refer to a website, Dr. Atkins wife Veronica's site is a good one...she follows her late husband's rules
http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/
If you are interested in recipes that are Atkins Induction friendly, I suggest this website:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
The Induction friendly recipes are marked with an *
I hope this helps!
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #4  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Regarding the cocoa powder....I checked again in dr.atkins new diet revolution and cocoa powder isn't anywhere in the induction list. So nice to see u here best of luck!!!
Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #5  

I have the Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution: The Low-Carb Approach. The copyright is 1992, 1999, and 2002. Is this the correct one?

The cookbook is the Dr. Atkins' New Diet Cookbook. The copyright is 1994 and 1997. This is the one that included fruit in phase 1.

The other is Dr. Atkins' Quick and Easy New Diet Cookbook and the copyright is 1997.

I have looked at the webiste you listed with recipes. Thanks so much for that! It makes it so difficult when there are so many things out there that say Atkins but are the correct ones
Jennifer
jennmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Your book sounds fine. I'd stay away from those 2 cookbooks though.
Basically, on Induction...if its not on the acceptable foods list...its not allowed.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote