General chatter - Whatcha Reading Feb 2009?

View Full Version : Whatcha Reading Feb 2009?

Smiling_Sara
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
New month...New books. What are you all reading? :)

I just started reading a book called What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck. I'm really enjoying it so far. About a 31 yr old single women on her journey. And not the journey of finding a man....just on her journey of life.

Freyja
02-01-2009, 11:50 AM
As an English student, most of my reading revolves around college. This month I'm reading 'Jude the Obscure' by Thomas Hardy and rereading 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte (for the third time!) :).

I have to admit, Jude is quite boring, but I absolutely LOVE Jane Eyre. It's a fantastic book. Definitely one of the best classics :).

walking2lose
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
New month...New books. What are you all reading? :)

I just started reading a book called What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck. I'm really enjoying it so far. About a 31 yr old single women on her journey. And not the journey of finding a man....just on her journey of life.

That sounds good!

My book club just finished The Alchemist, and this month we are reading The Middle Place, which I think I will like. I'm going to try to pick up a copy today.

clarelou
02-01-2009, 01:57 PM
hi im reading 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer, think its been made into a film soon. only just started it but il update to say how i find it

rainenroses
02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
re- reading Laurell k Hamiltons Anita Blake vampire Hunter series ( again...lol)

this will make like the 5th time reading this series as i anxiously await the next one due out in June.

they are also talking about making this series into either a movie or TV series ( like for HBO or other more adult oriented channel )

LOVE LOVE LOVE LKH books !

evillynn33
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
reading The Seven Bride series from Leigh Greenwood!

rainenroses I to LOVE LKH

rainenroses
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
wow! always fun to meet another LKH fan. my DH says i am obsessed and laughs as i read her blogs nightly..........i am always #1 on the wait list at our library for her new book ( the next one is due in June and i am already on the list...yup , #1...lol)

which is your fav. series Anita blake or Merry Gentry ?

jelynn
02-02-2009, 01:17 AM
I just finished Run by Ann Patchett- I thought it was just ok. Now I'm reading The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.

Shopaholic1204
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
hi im reading 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer, think its been made into a film soon. only just started it but il update to say how i find it

It's already a movie. It comes out on dvd March 21st or 12th..I cant remember now, lol. But they're making the 2nd book, New Moon..into a movie now

Shopaholic1204
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
OH..I'm reading Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris. It's like, book 6 in the series.

rainenroses
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
oh , i am also reading Almost Innocent by Jane Feather

yeah i'm one of those multi book readers...lol

usually the romance in the morning and vamires & lycans in the evening...lol

Shopaholic1204
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
oh , i am also reading Almost Innocent by Jane Feather

yeah i'm one of those multi book readers...lol

usually the romance in the morning and vamires & lycans in the evening...lol

What kind of lycan books do you read? I'm highly into vampire & witches kind of books..but I've never seen any lycan books.

Well..I guess they have lycans in the Sookie Stackhouse books..but they dont really call them that. My dh says that they are though..so I dunno? LoL!! He likes lycans.

mygritsconfessions
02-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm getting ready to read "Walking in circles before lying down." I know sounds strange, however it is a New York Times Bestseller. Its by Merrill Markoe. Its a humorous tale a of a girl, her life and lessons from her pit-bull mix dog. :dancer:

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com

babynurse91
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I hope you don't mind me joining in....I am reading Second Glance by Jodi Picoult! I love her books!!

rainenroses
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
What kind of lycan books do you read? I'm highly into vampire & witches kind of books..but I've never seen any lycan books.

Well..I guess they have lycans in the Sookie Stackhouse books..but they dont really call them that. My dh says that they are though..so I dunno? LoL!! He likes lycans.

OMG ! you HAVE to read Laurell k Hamiltons books . they are SO full of lycans , vampires , zombies, ghouls etc.... she has a website where you can read the 1st -2nd chapter of her books......she is by far my fav. author EVER! i used to love ann rice but LKH is by far the BEST ever.....
she also has a series about a faeries ( took me a while to get to these but they are AWESOME also )

Shopaholic1204
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
OMG ! you HAVE to read Laurell k Hamiltons books . they are SO full of lycans , vampires , zombies, ghouls etc.... she has a website where you can read the 1st -2nd chapter of her books......she is by far my fav. author EVER! i used to love ann rice but LKH is by far the BEST ever.....
she also has a series about a faeries ( took me a while to get to these but they are AWESOME also )

What kind of books are they? Like horror, sci fi, romance, etc? I'm trying to read Interview with the Vampire..but I keep thinking of the movie, and I'm getting bored with it, lol. It's a good book, but I just cannot get into it. I had a book on faeries..but it was super boring, lol. Maybe hers will be better. I LOVE faeries!! And Mermaids!!! I know MaryJanice Davidson wrote some mermaid books. They were so awesome!!!

Shopaholic1204
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
What is her site? I did a search and all I could find was fan sites.

nicki rose98
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I have three books on my nightstand...sigh. Don't know when I'll have the time.

I have a Nora Roberts book that I'm the furthest into "Blood Brothers"..the first in the series, VC Andrews (my favorite) "Delia's Heart"...the second in the series and the newest Fern Michaels book "Final Justice"...I was on the wait list for it in the library and it was ready for me before I was ready for it. LOL

I also want to reopen Twilight....I have also been reading Midnight Sun online.

rainenroses
02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
What is her site? I did a search and all I could find was fan sites.

http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/

babenwaiting
02-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I just finished "Heaven and ****" by Don Felder, the guitarist fired from The Eagles. Also, "Audition" by Barbara Walters, a very entertaining and informative book.

Glory87
02-03-2009, 03:50 AM

If you like werewolf books, Bitten (http://www.amazon.com/Bitten-Women-Otherworld-Book-1/dp/0452286034/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233647266&sr=8-1) was pretty good. If you like witch novels, the Diana Tregarde novels are good (and back in print finally)! I can't remember which one was first Jinx High (http://www.amazon.com/Jinx-High-Diana-Tregarde-Investigation/dp/0765313197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233647543&sr=1-1), Children of the Night (http://www.amazon.com/Children-Night-Diana-Tregarde-Investigation/dp/0765313189/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b) and Burning Water (http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Water-Diana-Tregarde-Investigation/dp/0765313170/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b). If male witches are your thing, I like the Dresden Files (http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-Dresden-Files-Book/dp/0451457811/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233647770&sr=8-1) series (witches, vampires, fairies, shapeshifters, pretty much everything).

I just got done with Dear American Airlines (http://www.amazon.com/Dear-American-Airlines-Jonathan-Miles/dp/0547054017/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233647343&sr=1-3) which was deeper than I thought it would be and Wishful Drinking (http://www.amazon.com/Wishful-Drinking-Carrie-Fisher/dp/1439102252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233647380&sr=1-1) by Carrie Fisher which was honest and funny and way too short.

branflake
02-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Well, technically I'm not "reading". I actually gave in and decided to try an audio book for the first time, after years of bashing them. lol It's really helped keep me going during my workouts. So currently I'm listening to Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

anniedoll30
02-03-2009, 08:15 AM
This month, I'm reading "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". The book I picked up has F. Scott Fitzgerald's original short story, and the screen play as well.

I'm also expecting to borrow from a coworker, "Marley and me". That I should have this week.

ANOther
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Just finished The Third Translation by Matt Bondurant (meh) and now starting Carbs and Cadavers by J.B. Stanley

CorinneIrene
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Just devoured the novel The Sugar Queen in two days (second time through...great read!). I also just finished Ghost Walk, which I had started in August and read for a few days before getting caught up in studies- am so glad I decided to finally tackle it, also another great read.
Now I'm on to Thirteen Moons, by the same author who wrote Cold Mountain. It's the tale of a young boy who was orphaned and sent off into Cherokee country and is adopted by one of the tribe's members. It's told from his perspective as an older man...promising start!

lizziep
02-08-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm reading B*tch: In praise of difficult women by Elizabeth Wurtzel. So far it's interesting but by no means a favorite. I think I'm going to read another feminist book with an offensive title next - by Inga Muscio. Just gotta figure out how to read it without anyone noticing the title because I got enough dirty looks on the bus just reading B*tch. lol.

alinnell
02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I just started The Christmas Sweater (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Sweater-Glenn-Beck/dp/141659485X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234201504&sr=8-1) by Glenn Beck. So far it just makes me cry.

WaterRat
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Hmm. Just finished Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich. Her main character is pretty funny. I picked up The Cure for Modern Life last night, but I got too sleepy and read only about 3 pages.

I love audiobooks, and usually have one on my MP3 and another in the car. I'm listening to The Private Patient by P. D. James (I'm a big mystery fan) and World Without End by Ken Follett - it's veeerrrry long - an excellent read or listen. :)

I've read the Charlaine Harris vampire novels, but not L K Hamilton, though many of our patrons (I work in a library) are big fans. And we cannot keep the Twilight series of books (there are 4) on the shelves.

LisaMarie71
02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield -- I really enjoyed it. Well written, interesting, and just a good story. Now I'm reading the third in the Sookie Stackhouse series.

alinnell
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Ooooh, I just got my Amazon order:

First is Semi-Homemade--Cooking made light (http://www.amazon.com/Semi-Homemade-Cooking-Made-Light-Sandra/dp/0696232669/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234216069&sr=8-1) which isn't so much for reading! Then I got Her Last Death (http://www.amazon.com/Her-Last-Death-Susanna-Sonnenberg/dp/0743291093/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234216075&sr=8-1) by Susanna Sonnenberg. Finally (but which I will probably read first) is Wesley the Owl (http://www.amazon.com/Wesley-Owl-Remarkable-Love-Story/dp/1416551735/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234216081&sr=8-1) (I just love animal stories!)

Buckeye
02-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Just finished Wuthering Heights. I am more than halfway thru one I grabbed from the library called The Lost Souls Reunion by Suzanne Powers. Next up is Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. Yes, I like to mix up the genres a little bit...

Chele615
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I read "Sundays at Tiffany's" by James Patterson yesterday on my plane ride home. It was a quick read....and kind of improbable. It reminded me a lot of that movie "The Lake House" with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. But it was still a cute story, when you were able to suspend reality for a bit.

Smiling_Sara
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I read What a She's Out of Control by Kirstin Billerbeck which is the followup to What a Girl Wants....Next up is the final in the series Whith this ring I'm confused. They are real quick, easy reads. Fun too, with good messages ( they are christian chic lit )

lizziep
02-13-2009, 02:40 AM
i seem to be on a feminist kick- i'm reading a book called "i never called it rape" about date rape and it's quite interesting/enraging/educational.

alinnell
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I just finished Wesley the Owl (http://www.amazon.com/Wesley-Owl-Remarkable-Love-Story/dp/1416551735/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234542025&sr=8-1) and it was so interesting. I can't imagine having such a large bird living inside your house and I certainly learned a lot about owl behavior.

Next up is ???

mygritsconfessions
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I am reading "Walking in Circles before Lying Down" which is written by Merrill Markoe. It is an interesting read about her life, going nowhere for so long and then finding herself. Atleast that is what I think it is about, I just started it! LOL......So far so good though.

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com

LisaMarie71
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I just finished the third Sookie Stackhouse book and am about to start the fourth. I'm also dipping in and out of The Attachment Connection, a book about attachment parenting.

WaterRat
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Still stuck in my mystery love. Just finished listening Private Patient by PD James, and started on a Jeffrey Deaver one,Broken Window. I'm also reading a new - to me - author, Merry Jones. The one I'm reading is called THe River Killings but there are several in the series. Just started it so hard to tell yet.

Alison - I've been wanting to read Wesly the Owl but it's always out when I go looking for it. :) I love animal stories too.

Glory87
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Oooh, I am adding Wesley the Owl to my library queue. I have been on a non fiction kick. I read Don't Try this at Home - Culinary Disasters from the World's Greatest Chefs (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Try-This-Home-Catastrophes/dp/B001P3OLIS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557158&sr=8-1) and Hurry Down Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Hurry-Down-Sunshine-Michael-Greenberg/dp/1590511913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557213&sr=1-1). I'm currently reading The Spare Wife (http://www.amazon.com/Spare-Wife-Novel-Alex-Witchel/dp/0452295300/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557268&sr=1-1) but it's kind of "eh" and has a really annoying way of switching around between characters.

alinnell
02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Oooh, I am adding Wesley the Owl to my library queue. I have been on a non fiction kick. I read Don't Try this at Home - Culinary Disasters from the World's Greatest Chefs (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Try-This-Home-Catastrophes/dp/B001P3OLIS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557158&sr=8-1) and Hurry Down Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Hurry-Down-Sunshine-Michael-Greenberg/dp/1590511913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557213&sr=1-1). I'm currently reading The Spare Wife (http://www.amazon.com/Spare-Wife-Novel-Alex-Witchel/dp/0452295300/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234557268&sr=1-1) but it's kind of "eh" and has a really annoying way of switching around between characters.

Glory, I enjoyed Hurry Down Sunshine, but it wasn't the greatest. I've read a lot of books by parents of problem/troubled/additcted/ill children and although I'd rate it good, it isn't one of the greatest. But truthfully? I can't remember without going through my stacks of books to tell you which one(s) I liked the best.

You will really like Wesley!

stacylambert
02-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Right now I'm reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. Finally decided to read it with the movie coming out (or already out?). So far I am not impressed.

mygritsconfessions: I just read that book! I liked it, but it was definitely a tearjerker for me. I of course read it on a plane, so I'm sure the other passengers thought I was a loony. Hehe.

Glory87
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Heh, I read Year of Wonders on a plane and BAWLED the whole way. It was doubly embarassing since I was on my way to a work conference. It turns out, the woman sitting behind me was actually a coworker I had emailed many times but had never met in person.

Glory87
02-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Glory, I enjoyed Hurry Down Sunshine, but it wasn't the greatest. I've read a lot of books by parents of problem/troubled/additcted/ill children and although I'd rate it good, it isn't one of the greatest. But truthfully? I can't remember without going through my stacks of books to tell you which one(s) I liked the best.

You will really like Wesley!

Yeah, it feels like I read Beautiful Boy and Hurry Down Sunshine back to back - that's a lot of kid issues!

ANOther
02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Starting Stone Cold by David Baldacci

blackdove95
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Earlier in the month I was reading Noah Lukeman's A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation... but I put that on hold to read Tawn O'Dell's Back Roads. Hoping to be done by the 21.

PearFreak
02-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Started the month off reading Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall and am now reading The Undomestic Goddess by Sophia Kinsella

SI was a very good read. Anyone ever read it? What about the other book... I've only read a few chapters thus far and it seems ok... a light read. But I am not far enough into it to make a decision yet.

ANOther
02-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm reading B*tch: In praise of difficult women by Elizabeth Wurtzel. So far it's interesting but by no means a favorite. I think I'm going to read another feminist book with an offensive title next - by Inga Muscio. Just gotta figure out how to read it without anyone noticing the title because I got enough dirty looks on the bus just reading B*tch. lol.

Maybe at an office-supply store or someplace you can find a book cover?

Glory87
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Slap a post it over the title.

I just finished reading True Colors by Kristin Hannah and HATED IT. I had liked Firefly Lane but this was just terrible. I made it about halfway through, skipped to the end to see what happened. Cowboy girl who likes BAD BOYS who are really good! Fat sister who is BITTER and can't get a man due to her weight! Dad who is only nice to cowboy sister! Blech. It's getting wonderful reviews on Amazon, so I guess it's just me. As a disclaimer, I hate boilerplate romance novels (but love stuff like Outlander and Time Traveler's Wife!). Definitely not my cup of tea.

Buckeye
02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I actually grabbed Outlander off of my bookshelf again! I heard that Diana Gabaldon is writing another one and wanted to reread the whole series before the new one is released!:)

Glory87
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Feels like she's been writing the next book for YEARS. I'm just anxious to see who the highlander was outside Claire's window in the present, before her first travel back in time.

Buckeye
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Ohhh, I know. I'm so glad that I am reading these books again. It's not very often that you find a book(s) that you can get lost in. Any thoughts on who it is??

alinnell
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Slap a post it over the title.

I just finished reading True Colors by Kristin Hannah and HATED IT. I had liked Firefly Lane but this was just terrible. I made it about halfway through, skipped to the end to see what happened. Cowboy girl who likes BAD BOYS who are really good! Fat sister who is BITTER and can't get a man due to her weight! Dad who is only nice to cowboy sister! Blech. It's getting wonderful reviews on Amazon, so I guess it's just me. As a disclaimer, I hate boilerplate romance novels (but love stuff like Outlander and Time Traveler's Wife!). Definitely not my cup of tea.

I'm so glad I read this. I'm buying a Kindle (get it next week) and True Colors was one of those I was planning on buying for it.

I'm reading Ice Trap (I think). So far it's okay.

FrouFrou
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Borntofly...I love the Kristin Billerbeck books! The Spa series are good too! I was hoping for more!

I haven't posted here in ages, of course I've not been getting much reading done either. My last few reads were...Cross Country by James Patterson...big fan of the guy, The Innocent Man by John Grisham, Under The Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey, very sad.

I am currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos...not so thrilled with it, but it's okay and I will finish it.

Glory87
02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I am currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos...not so thrilled with it, but it's okay and I will finish it.

Hee - there's a sequel! Belong to Me (http://www.amazon.com/Belong-Me-Marisa-los-Santos/dp/0061240281/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234993309&sr=8-3). I actually read this one first and was VERY annoyed at the main character who held an unfair grudge (imo) against her husband.

Read the below white text if you want to be spoiled, skip if you don't:

She married the "perfect" guy after years of friendship. While they were just friends, he dated a woman who got pregnant and did not tell him. She broke up with him and had the baby on her own. YEARS LATER the woman comes back into their lives with her high school age son and the main character is MAD and almost breaks up with the husband. For what, having a love affair while they weren't even together? Mad at him for another woman NOT telling him he was a father? As soon as the husband finds out he's a parent, he immediately starts doing the right thing - he's "perfect!" Argh, I nearly put the book down. I can understand being upset when life throws you a curveball, but to nearly divorce your husband over something that happened BEFORE you got together? wtf!

Glory87
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm so glad I read this. I'm buying a Kindle (get it next week) and True Colors was one of those I was planning on buying for it.

I'm reading Ice Trap (I think). So far it's okay.

I have a Sony Reader - I love it! I hate to judge a book so harshly, but I really didn't like it. I think you can get first chapters for free on the Kindle, maybe you could check it out?

alinnell
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I have a Sony Reader - I love it! I hate to judge a book so harshly, but I really didn't like it. I think you can get first chapters for free on the Kindle, maybe you could check it out?

I'll do that. I'm actually having a hard time deciding what to read on it first. I've got to finish these two real books first--and the Kindle comes next Wednesday!

FrouFrou
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Glory87...a sequel?! Yikes...not sure I can get thru the first one, lol. Most likely won't read the sequel and thanks for the spoiler. I normally won't read them, but I had to know. And yeah, the grudge is unfair, and stupid.

WaterRat
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I actually grabbed Outlander off of my bookshelf again! I heard that Diana Gabaldon is writing another one and wanted to reread the whole series before the new one is released

I totally love these books, and it kills me that she takes so long between them, but I know they must take a lot of research and work. :) I've read them all several times, and am on the 4th listening to them. THe reader has a lovely Scots accent....

I've not read anything outstanding lately , but I'm listening to World Without End by Ken Follett. Really good.

Interesting about the Kristin Hannah book, Glory. I picked it up and put it down again the other day. I ordinarily like her books.

I've read mixed reviews about the Kindle and other readers. Haven't actually tried any myself. We're having a "Pet Tech" session at our annual library training in May - I'm sure there will be at least one there.

alinnell
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I've read mixed reviews about the Kindle and other readers. Haven't actually tried any myself. We're having a "Pet Tech" session at our annual library training in May - I'm sure there will be at least one there.

I heard a few bad things about the first edition Kindle and decided to wait for the second (although there are still some things that could be improved upon, I understand). My DH was on a plane with Johnny Bench the other day and Johnny had the first edition and raved about it to my DH, so DH came home and said I should buy one. To which I said I was waiting for the second edition. Then, it came out in less than a week!!!

So now folks, what titles do you suggest I put on it?

lizziep
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I've been all... book manic lately. I read an amazing womens spirituality book called The Red Book by Sera Beak and I loved it. I am really glad I read it.
I am still reading my offensive titled book- but I'm reading it at home before bed. So far it's got some erm... interesting ideas and opinions. And at work I'm reading a book called Brida by Paulo Coelho who wrote The Alchemist which was amazing. So far it's not as amazing, I'm hoping it picks up soon.

Glory87
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
WaterRat - Well, I have a Sony Reader - specifically, the PRS-505 (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665245739). I actually work for Sony*, so my employee discount was one of the deciding factors for buying the Reader - it was much much more affordable than the Kindle.

Things I LOVE about the Reader - it's a lovely design, much prettier than Kindle 1 (although Kindle 2 is better looking than its predecessor). It holds about 160 books. It plays MP3s, so when I'm traveling I can read and listen to books in one device. It uses eInk technology (so does the Kindle) so it's like paper - it won't make your eyes tired like a computer screen. Of course, it's also not "lit" so you can't read it in the dark. Because of the eInk technology, the battery lasts a really long time since it doesn't take any battery power to display a page, only to turn it. I use my Reader mainly for travel, it's so handy to carry multiple books in one small device, rather than a stack of library books.

Things I don't like about the PRS-505 - There is a slight flicker when you turn the page. Since the Reader is only one page, you turn the page a LOT. The flicker bothers me for the first 5 minutes, then I don't notice it anymore. The page forward button is slightly awkward, I think it should be bigger. The next iteration of the Reader - the PRS-700 (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665562069) solves this problem with touch screen technology, you just flick the page to turn it (which is cool, but it wasn't available when I was shopping!). The Reader also doesn't have the Kindle's whispernet connection, so you have to download books to your PC and then transfer them to the Reader (no downloading books from amazon.com on the fly while waiting at the airport, for example). While the Reader can handle a variety of formats (PDF, Word docs, BBeB, ePub) it isn't compatible with amazon.com ebooks and Sony's bookstore has a smaller selection. The PRS-700 adds some other neat features besides touchscreen - virtual keyboard (ability to search, make notes), built-in LED lights (which use a lot of battery power!) and it doubles the storage capacity (up to 320 ebooks).

Other factors:

Cost of ebooks - this is the real limit for me. I simply can not afford my book habit, which is why I use the library almost exclusively and why I only use the Reader when traveling. eBooks are cheaper than real books, but not significantly (I realize that publishers and authors need to be paid for their work, whether a book is paper or digital). Also, you can't easily trade or sell a digital book when you're done.

Book selection - I had wanted to load my Reader up with some of my "go-to" favorites, so no matter where I was I had a some tried-and-true re-readables (Shogun, Lonesome Dove, etc). I was very surprised what wasn't available! Most current stuff is available, but I guess they are slowly digitizing the "classics."

Allinell - I loaded up some of my favorites - Mists of Avalon, Pillars of the Earth and Outlander :)

*I actually write training materials for Sony products, and have written modules for both the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 so I'm not some weirdo freak who memorizes tons of arcane product facts!!

jelynn
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I've been readinglike crazy this past week-kids are out of school and my internet has been down.

Certain Girls, Ahab's Wife and The Princess Academy just in the past 5-6 days, lol. Today I am picking up Revolutionary Road and Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (?) from the library.

ANOther
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Slap a post it over the title

And that wide Post-it correction tape to go over the naughty word on the spine. Good idea

daydreamer
02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
LOL... Last week I finished the Twilight series. I wanted to see what the hubbub was. It was a quick silly read, and I can see why it's popular with teens, but I can't figure out why the ladies on my mommy board were so in love with these books.

I just started White Oleander. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far I find it interesting.

mtiger
02-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Glory- I tried to PM you but your box is full. I hope you come back here. You seem to be a frequent visitor. Back in March, I read an article in Woman's Day about your weight loss. I cut it out and it has hung on my fridge ever since. Then a few months ago my friend forwarded your 3FC success story to me. I thought, hey I recognize her, she's on my fridge. I've been trying to locate you since then. I just stumbled onto this thread tonight and clicked on your progress pics.

Just wanted you to know, you have secretly been an inspiration to me since March. Thank You!! I keep reminding myself that it took you 3 years. That helps when I am feeling frustrated. Just thought I would share that story with you. Thanks again!!

laura
02-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm reading "Outliers - The Story of Success" by Malcom Gladwell. He is the one who wrote "Blink" and "The Tipping Point". "Outliers" blows away everything you ever believed about who achieves success and how. It's one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended.

grabec
02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
I am reading David Baldacchi's Stone Cold, which is the third in a series. I love mysteries and listen to audio books of them. I listen to about one a week at night with my portable CD player and ear buds. Love it. One of the highlights of my life for sure when I get a good book on tape.

lizziep
02-20-2009, 03:00 AM
how'd i miss that? good idea on the post it notes and post it tape.

apparently a girl at work got a stern talking to for reading that book "skinny b*tch" and was told to take it home and not bring it back. i wonder what they'd say about this one- maybe they'd fire me!! (hey a girl can fantasize lol)

Smiling_Sara
02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I've started Black Olives.

So far, it's kinda slow, I hope it picks up soon...

Smiling_Sara
02-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Borntofly...I love the Kristin Billerbeck books! The Spa series are good too! I was hoping for more!
I haven't posted here in ages, of course I've not been getting much reading done either. My last few reads were...Cross Country by James Patterson...big fan of the guy, The Innocent Man by John Grisham, Under The Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey, very sad.

thanks for the tip! I will check out some more of her stuff for sure :)

mygritsconfessions
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Chicken Soup for Woman!

Glory87
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Glory- I tried to PM you but your box is full. I hope you come back here. You seem to be a frequent visitor. Back in March, I read an article in Woman's Day about your weight loss. I cut it out and it has hung on my fridge ever since. Then a few months ago my friend forwarded your 3FC success story to me. I thought, hey I recognize her, she's on my fridge. I've been trying to locate you since then. I just stumbled onto this thread tonight and clicked on your progress pics.

Just wanted you to know, you have secretly been an inspiration to me since March. Thank You!! I keep reminding myself that it took you 3 years. That helps when I am feeling frustrated. Just thought I would share that story with you. Thanks again!!

Hi :) Sorry about my PM box, I didn't realize it had gotten full! I'm so glad you liked the article, the author is also a 3FatChick poster (and was also in the story)! MileHiMama is her posting name. Here is the original thread when the article came out! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134690

Thanks so much for the kind words, it still seems a little odd to be inspirational - odd, but nice, of course! I'm still plugging away, trying to lose 3 lbs to get back to my goal weight but about to celebrate my 4th year of maintenance :)

As far as books, I just finished Georgiana - Duchess of Devonshire (http://www.amazon.com/Georgiana-Duchess-Devonshire-Library-Paperbacks/dp/0375753834/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235147746&sr=8-1) (what the movie The Duchess was based on) and loved it! There were a LOT of characters and a lot of politics, so I found some of that pretty dense. She was a fascinating woman in a fascinating relationship, so I would definitely recommend.

lalique
02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm not much of a reader, but I've had the itch lately to start!

I'm planning on going to the library on Monday & picking up a book I read in high school, that I remember liking, called The Diary of Ann Frank. :)

alinnell
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I just finished Ice Trap (http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Trap-Novel-Psychological-Suspense/dp/1416539980/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235407838&sr=8-1) by Kitty Sewell and am going to start Her Last Death (http://www.amazon.com/Her-Last-Death-Susanna-Sonnenberg/dp/0743291093/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235407943&sr=1-1) by Susanna Sonnenberg. I have to finish this one in 2-3 days because I get my Kindle on Wednesday and I have a list of what I want to download onto it!

claire fraser
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I just finished Half Assed by Jennette Fulda... she lost 200 pounds and is extremely entertaining. I really enjoyed her book.

The new book in the Outlander series is already up for pre-order on Amazon. I am so excited. I can't wait to reread all the books.

Right now I'm reading Thin is the New Happy- Frankel... I'm on this weight loss memoir kick apparently.

Glory87
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I am also reading Thin is the New Happy!!!

Chele615
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Just finished "The Godmother". I am actually reading "Multiple Blessings" (the book written by the Gosselins of Jon and Kate Plus 8) on the exercise bike in the afternoons.

The next book I plan on reading is "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult.

CandaceG
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Right now I am reading You are a Psychic by Debra Katz and Aging and Saging by Shirley MacClain.

I too read when I am on my exercise bike. I love to put books on my Mp3 player also.

Have a great evening
Candace

ANOther
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I am reading David Baldacchi's Stone Cold, which is the third in a series. I love mysteries and listen to audio books of them. I listen to about one a week at night with my portable CD player and ear buds. Love it. One of the highlights of my life for sure when I get a good book on tape.

Hey, I'm reading that too! Good to see I'm not the only one who likes gritty suspense books! You like Steve Berry?

Smiling_Sara
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm about a third of the way through "the bright side of disaster" I'm enjoying it so far.

pmteub
02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Wow - I love this thread. I have been reading up a storm lately and have been wondering what to read next. My most recent read was The Leper by Steven Thayer - its a fictional story re: a Leper Colony....nothing gross about the book - it's a great story with romance, drama and adventure.

alinnell
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
For anyone wondering what to read, I've found a great site! Flashlight Worthy (http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/). Basically it contains lists of books in different categories. Each list has several titles and each title links you directly to Amazon.com in case you want to know more about the book or buy it from them.

Oh, and I got my Kindle!!! It's so much smaller than I imagined! I have downloaded Her Last Death (http://www.amazon.com/Her-Last-Death-Susanna-Sonnenberg/dp/0743291093/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235512048&sr=8-1) because I just had to try it out (I already had the print book!--silly me!).

Glory87
02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I finished Thin is the New Happy and Office of Desire. I'm headed to Vegas for a work trip and I'm taking The Help (http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235672032&sr=8-1), Little Giant of Aberdeen County (http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235672032&sr=8-1), The Hindi Bindli Club (http://www.amazon.com/Hindi-Bindi-Club-Monica-Pradhan/dp/055338452X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235672091&sr=1-1) and Still Alice (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Alice-Lisa-Genova/dp/1439102813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235672127&sr=1-1).

Mickeypnd
02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I just got done finished reading the bio of Clark Gable. What an eye opener. Im now reading the bio of Jane Boleyn the sister-in-law to Anne Boleyn.