Dieting with Obstacles - PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ February's Thread

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

:D HAPPY FEBRUARY EVERYONE :D

:hug: ROSEBUD :hug:

purpleorc
02-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Good morning fellow chicks

It is a cloudy morning here but I visited another website this a.m and was reading someone there about 160 miles from me has snow lets hope they do not send it northbound ;)

Made a batch of muffins yesterday then realised afterwards I had forgot to add some olive oil into them he said they tasted a little bland. Looks like I will have to be inventive when it comes to serving them. I was thinking I might do a low calorie chocolate sauce that I have adapted to be even lower by using a little water in place of the milk. That would go nice with the muffin hot or cold for that matter. So I have got to get my thinking cap on to ways to serve them that make them tasty. Another thought was to make a jelly ( jello) break the muffin up and pour the jello over then serve with yogurt once it has set.

ROSEBUD :- My tummy has come out in sympathy with yours :D I have had to have two greasier type meals whilst out and about and I think my tummy is rebelling. I think as well with having a healthier type menu for so long your tummy is more susceptible to the effects of spicy fatty foods. So if we indulge we pay for it big time now. Not that is a bad thing in away it makes you think next time you want something a bit naughty do I want the pain that goes with it.

I hope your tummy soon settles down and is back to normal. Mine is responding quite well to a heat wheat pad so I am lucky. Not doing anything fancy today for Sunday dinner just beans on toast for DH and spaghetti on toast for me. With not feeling so well it means I am not stood there for ages. I have a portion of crumble to eat as well. It has a lot of fruit in it so should be good for you. Will have another portion of homemade soup today for tea. Then I will freeze the remainder but I do not think there will be a huge amount left to be honest.

Yes we have a long growing period here in the UK to be honest there is hardly anytime that there is not anything planted in the land. So we are fortunate when I was growing up I lived in a county which is extremely flat and fertile so lots of growing of vegetables. Not so much fruits apart from maybe apple, pears, plums, strawberries and raspberries. The more exotic type of fruit need a hotter climate than we have. My granddad worked on a farm for 40 years but that was mainly a cattle one though some wheat and corn was grown.

My parents go to a market every Saturday which is in their home town and roads are closed to hold this market as it is of a substantial size. They can get lots of locally grown vegetables, though there are other stalls there selling many other things. It is ages since I have been I used to love it but it is a bit far away to go every week with the cost of fuel.

With an aneurysm people can live for years but it is often thought of as a ticking time bomb which no one knows how long the fuse is. So if surgery is an option (in rare cases some are not operable either because of the health of the person or the position of the aneurysm) it is advise able to have it. There are risks involved like with anything to do with surgery but if I was in that position I would take the surgery as it give you a chance of a long life of which you can still be productive. Though that choice of surgery can only be chosen by person themselves and I would respect the wishes if someone did not want to take it. I can understand how frighten your sister must be when you go to the doctors the diagnosis is a big shock and then they tell you the risks. By this stage your mind is all over the shop and you hear the words "die". You then quite rightly start to think that your beloved husband is dying which might not be strictly true. We all do it when receiving bad news.

My sister recently has been to hospital regarding her back and they told her. It is likely surgery is need with rods and plates. Firstly a discogram needs to be done to see if that is the case. Fortunately when we have news like that often your own doctor will call you in a week or so later after this consultation. This is so that you can ask question, have things explained that you probably did not take on board at the time. The exact same thing was done to me when I was given the diagnosis of MS. My doctor had given me a half hour appointment which is very uncommon but they done for talking to patients like me dealing with bad news. Though for me it was relief more than anything as one doctor was making me feel it was all in my head or my weight! Even though in my heart of hearts I knew it was neither but I was upset at the time as I felt in my own mind that I knew what was wrong with me (training can be a good thing and a bad in the medical field).

Hello to NUMPSTER, VALDINE & MEOWEE :- I hope your all having a lovely weekend and taking things easy. Crickey since starting this post the snow is starting to fall but very fine at the minute and does not appear to be settling on the ground.

:wave: purpleorc :hug:

meowee
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Hard to believe it's the first of February already.

We had some snow again overnight and the sun was pretty late getting up, but it is here now. Of course, it's going to be sunny again tomorrow too -- the one day of the year (Groundhog Day) that I'd really prefer cloud cover. :lol: Oh well, no matter what the little rodent has to say, I'm betting on another six weeks of winter anyway.

BTW . . . I know in Ontario, Wiarton Willy is the groundhog of choice and here in the Maritimes, we listen to Shubenacadie Sam, and the US favours Punxatawney Phil . . . how about the rest of you?????

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ it's a white, winter wonderland out there today; got a big dump last night, and it snowed in this morning too. They got the lanes cleaned out by noon though, but we are staying cozy indoors just the same. DH is monitoring the snow levels as we speak: it's one of his hobbies. ;)

HI MEOWEE ~ we had a huge, windy snowstorm all night long and it's continuing on today as well. Apparently, it missed us before, and decided to come back from the south and get us now. :lol: So we have cloud-cover here today and that is expected for tomorrow as well. Yes, we hear about Wiarton Willie, but I think there is another one somewhere here in the north (around New Liskeard), I'll keep my eyes and ears open to see if I can find out his/her name!;)

HEY PURPLE ~ wow, you are getting snow over there too, eh? Yes, I totally agree with your assessment about our SIL and the aneurism diagnosis. It will take some time for it all to sink in, I think. I did google this condition, and found out pretty much what I already knew and what you said. Hopefully, he will be well enuff to get that procedure that goes in through the veins in the groin region: the research says that it has been quite successful.

I made some banana-bran muffins this morning: I cut the oil to 2 tbl and the brown sugar to 1/4 cup and they turned out well. I used half A/P flour and 1/2 whole meal flour along with the natural bran, some oat flour, and 2 tbl flax meal, and they turned out really nice.

I haven't really decided what to have today becuz we had a pretty big meal last night. Like you, it will be something simple too. I'm toying with the idea of Cheese Perogies with a bit of tomato sauce; sounds easy to me. Just boil the perogies while the sauce heats up in a small pan. Could have a small salad on the side with these to round the meal out, I think.

HI VALDINE ~ I saw you posting around the forum ealier today; good advice and thoughts from both you and PURPLE . I had a time adjusting to all the pain that my Spina Bifida and injuries gave me longterm. There is such a thing as JUSTIFIABLE ANGER, but not letting it consume us and ruin our lives is important as you say. We must move on. I realized that I didn't have to think about the next 10 years or the rest of my life; just the next second, then the next minute, of the next hour, of this day. That was a huge turning point for me in my life. Now I focus on today, just today; and let tomorrow take care of itself, so-to-speak. Nice to see you pop by ...

HI NUMPSTER ~ hope you and your family are having a lovely Sunday!

Take good care, ladies -- your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
:wave:

Our resident rodent definitely saw his shadow this morning. Personally, I imagine we will hve at least 8 to 10 more weeks of Winter since we almost always get at least one significant snowfall in early April.

purpleorc
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi fellow Chickie's

Well we have had snow by the bucket loads, I know that it is still light by other peoples snow fall. It is the heaviest snow fall we have had in 18 years and needless to say it is causing a bit of havoc. It has stopped all of London's buses due to the amount of snow. Plus one of London's airports Heathrow as also closed runways. More snow is forecast to fall over the UK.

ROSEBUD Perogies now you had me going to the search engine to see what an earth this food was as I had never heard of this. I see that it is a dumpling filled with various fillings which are either boiled or fried. Well I have certainly learnt something today.

I think anyone whom has a disability weather that be acquired or born with. We all seem to have this adjustment period of going from anger to acceptance. Yes it is no good worrying in what might be tomorrow as it may not ever happen. For me being bitter for a long period of time was just not a nice place to be. That is not my nature to be like that being bitter and angry but no one was to blame it was just one of those things. There was still so many things I could do rather than focuses on what I couldn't do.

MEOWEE Your resident rodent is that a rat or a mouse or something I have not even thought of?

Wow another eight to ten weeks left yet of your winter :yikes: That sounds that you have a very little time of the year that you are not under the threat of snow or have snow on the ground.

Bye ladies cuppa :coffee: making time.

:wave:purpleorc :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ Well, our snow finally stopped falling, and we woke up to bright sunshine this morning. So indeed, you know what that means ... lots more winter left yet. ;)

WOWIE ~ PURPLE ... that sounds like you had lots of snow if they had to close the airport runways and stop running the buses. Do you have any idea how many inches fell? The rodents that MEOWEE is referring to are GROUNDHOGS. They kinda look like beavers, but cuter; they don't have that big flat tail or buck teeth either. They live in burrows they dig in the ground, and they hybernate most of the winter in these dens.

ABOUT GROUNDHOG DAY ~ There is this weather joke that North Americans tell: they say that if a groundhog comes out of his hole on February 2 and sees his shadow, then we will have at least 6 or more weeks of winter. If it's cloudy and he doesn't see it, then we are supposed to have an early spring. But the real joke is that in Canada, we almost ALWAYS have 6-8 or even 10 more weeks of winter, regardless of what the weather is on that day. I think it is all just for fun; it's not really scientific or anything like that: just a big tall tale to while the winter away ... :D

ABOUT PEROGIES ~ Yes, this was the first time DH and I ever had these: we wanted to try them to see if we liked them. We got a big bag of them for only $1.20 (enough for two meals for both of us). I would really like to try the meat ones or the cheese ones; the ones we have had potato mixed with cheese and another bag we have has a bit of bacon in them too. They don't take long to cook; just about 5 minutes in boiling water then you remove them with a ladel with holes in them to drain. I just put a light, plain tomato sauce on them (about 1/4 cup each), but some people like them with l/f sour cream, salsa, or spices. Some people actually fry them, but I didn't want that extra fat. DH really liked them and said they were quite filling. For about 350 calories, you can have 7 of these kind of perogies + the sauce.

Tonight, we are having a baked dinner with baked veggies and a mushroom sauce over it all. This is one of our favorites and we haven't had this in a while. You can use lean beef, pork, or chicken breasts (I'm using skinless ones tonight); it smells really good and should be ready as soon as I'm finished this post.

HI MEOWEE ~ yes, we did get sunshine here too, so winter's here for a while for sure. I didn't hear about that local groundhog this year; as we don't have local TV here right now. At least, the snow stopped, but it's quite cold here again at about -25C this morning, and I can actually feel it dropping right now and even heard the building crack a few minutes ago. It does that whenever the temps go down low.

Well, I guess I'd better go check that dinner, as I'm getting really hungry; take good care ladies and do keep warm tonight ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Stupid Groundhog . . . it's snowing and it's supposed to keep on snowing until it has given us at least a foot of the stuff. :mad:

purpleorc
02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Good afternoon Ladies

There was no more snow over night though a sharp frost did come. So everywhere like a skating rink early this morning. Though with the days sun shine on it a lot of snow has melted. More snow has been forecast for later in this week. I bet it will be on Thursday when we have a delivery to Bognor Regis. This is right on the south coast of the UK and is about 4 hours away without a stop but of course you have to stop.

ROSEBUD :lol: I fell right into that one about the resident rodent. Like you said it is a tale used which has perpetuated over the years to wile away those long winter nights. Especially when you had no television or radio to help entertain you.

I looked for pictures of these rodents called groundhogs and they really do look like beavers to me like you said but they are cuter than our rodents :D

The perogies sound nice to me and I would have had them boiled also to reduce the fat content. It is what I would call a cheap filler. Dishes were invented to fill tummies when you had big families but not much money coming in and things like these filled you up but didn't cost the earth. Like putting dumplings in casseroles made it go further and fill you up. Same with Yorkshire puddings to go with a roast to eek out the meat. They are all filling and cheap. Dad said on a Sunday it was always a plate of Yorkshire puddings and gravy. Then you got your dinner after that. Any Yorkshire left over was served with jam and custard if you were lucky. Dad came from a family of 4 sisters and himself With his parents that was 7 mouths to feed.

Unfortunately on my way to the MS centre had a painful attack in my face so cancelled the 10:15am dive and ended up taking 2 lots of medication to get it under some sort of control. I went in the 11:45am dive with two gentlemen. It is still painful but no where near as bad as I was. Not that was any problem as I DH works there voluntary on a Tuesday. I just sat with a lady whom is a stable hand at a professional owners stables. She gets to ride the horses as well but not professionally but just to exercise the horse.

Hello to MEOWEE, VALDINE and NUMPSTER :wave: I hope your all OK and the weather is not too bad where ever you are.

valpal23
02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Did somebody say PEROGIES?!?!?!

I used to be able to eat them like they were going out of fashion.. now when I try to eat more than one at a special dinner with my family my stomach gets upset :( Maybe if I find a way to make a fibre rich perogie they wont just sit like lumps in my tummy and make it angry. My parents are very much into refined carb dishes. my Dad makes this mennonite dish that is simply white flour/cake batter and farmer sausge... that and my mom's perogies and it just equals trouble.

So! I tried to join a biggest loser club at my work last month - but I couldnt handle the stress of thinking about my weight AT WORK and I'm up a few pounds. I dropped out of 'weighing in' and am focusing on myself for now.

rosebud your supper yesterday sounds good! what did you make today? You and Purple always have good meals - I'd like to try some ideas I havent been doing. right now i'm on a broccoli and spinach dip kick. I eat broccoli with nearly every meal the last couple weeks which is fine for now but I know I'll get sick of it

Purple I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had the other day. I hope it's more manageable now.

meowee did i just catch a canadian complaining about winter :P kidding.. we've had our fill of it up here too. now if only the snow would melt BEFORE april.

just popping by. im still around. life has definitly picked up since the new job. which im completly enjoying... it's a very social job. which is right up my alley :)

:hug: take care all!
Valdine

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ I'm just a bit late coming in to post; we had dinner later and I decided to put my legs up before I came in here. So, I just had my tea and a small snack for the evening as well.

HI VAL ~ nice to hear from you; and we are really happy about how much you love your new job: makes taking the risk all worthwhile, doesn't it? Don't feel bad about the biggest loser thing; that's exactly why I have never joined one. I realize that some people thrive on competition, but I just don't; I do much better on my own, and at my own pace. I actually would get stressed out and eat more, then feel horrible about it afterwards. I'm not even a fan of the scale; I prefer to go by sizes and inches; and let my doctor weigh me every once in a while. Everyone is different and we need to do what is best for us.

Yes, you can make PEROGIES in a healthier manner; since you love broccoli and spinach, you could fill them with that: maybe mixed with a l/f cream cheese or a small piece of skim mozzarella or something like that. I would like them with a meat mixed in too for a change; I have seen many different versions, but these were the first ones we tried. I think it's key to have something else with them though; say some veggies in a light sauce, or meat if you eat any meat. How about a light cream of salmon or tuna sauce over them. And you are right that you must count them; a small serving is about 4, or a big serving is 7-8, as they are about 50 calories each.

As long as it fits in your daily allotment, that should be OK. Apparently, you can find some with fillings like spinach in the deli or specialty sections of some stores. I just think they would be a nice quick meal for a change now & then. We usually only have a pasta-based dinner once a week (leftovers for one lunch, if any). We like to vary our meals a lot; as I get bored easily. Tonight, we actually had leftovers from last night, but I added rice to the leftover meat, veggies and mushroom sauce, and baked it (covered) like a casserole in the oven for about an hour. I do this often when I have leftovers like that.

I've heard of that Mennonite dish: I think it's a cornbread pudding with sausages in it; but it is meant to be eaten with a salad and/or veggies too. The Ukranians were/are big on Perogies becuz many of them were hard-working farmers like the Mennonites; and as PURPLE says, they had big families to feed and these were inexpensive to make and easy to prepare.

PURPLE ~ we are very sorry that you had another bad pain attack in your face; sending up prayers for you and hope that you are feeling better soon. I'm glad that you were able to get your treatment in anyway, as you benefit from them so much. Yes, we Canadians do like to pull people's legs now and then; they say we have a good sense of humor, but I do think it's becuz we have to do something to amuse ourselves over these long, cold winters.

HI MEOWEE ~ we have cold temps here right now; but no snow today: they're saving that for the weekend, I guess. Someone on another thread asked me how we Canadians stand all this snow and such long winters, and still manage to stay so upbeat. I think we balk about it alot, but we are so used to it really; and what choice do we have, eh? Gotta go with the flow, er the snow, as it goes! :lol:

Well, I managed to get a couple of loads of laundry done with my other daily chores; it was a good day. I felt better today; so maybe that Vitamin C is helping a lot too. DH had it worse than me; and if he doesn't get over this soon, I may have to send him to the docs for some meds.

Well, that's all for tonight; HI NUMPSTER!!! Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-04-2009, 08:10 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ seems like everyone is busy today; so just me popping in here. We had a busy day too ... sorting out about 5 or 6 boxes of stuff. We have one to donate; some put away; and I managed to rearrange two into one; and a few things I tossed.

Sometimes men are perplexing to me. DH had nothing to do, so he asked me if I had anything he could do, so I suggested we tackle a few more boxes, but before you know it, he was losing his patience which was very frustrating for me. He finally cooled down by dinner time, but I think next time I will do things by myself. Men just don't have the patience to sort through dishes and stuff: he always just wants to toss my stuff out on me, but not the stuff he bought me. I'm gonna get him to bring me one box at a time, and I'll sort through it and he can go watch a movie instead. Sorry for the rant, but it helps me to see things more clearly.

We also have or had a water leak somewhere; I had to repack a big Christmas box today. We had put some Christmas decos in the spare bedroom closet, but when we started pulling boxes out today, we noticed that two or three were wet on the bottom. Dh ended up pulling out the washer & dryer, but no water and the floor was dry as a bone (I had done two loads yesterday). So we are still not any further ahead figuring out where the water came from. At first, we thought a pop can had burst, but couldn't find one. Now I think about this, maybe this why he was upset; we start unpacking boxes and end up discovering a big leak and can't find the source.

ANYWAYS, we're letting everything dry for now; and next time, I do a wash, we are gonna keep an eye on the drain out-take pipe to make sure the water isn't backing up onto the floor and running under the floor boards into the closet behind it. That happened to my mom once and I immediately recalled her telling me about that a long time ago.

We had spagetti and meatballs for supper: DH loved that, as it was very yummy. They were mini-meatballs and I measured 1 cup each cooked spagettini. I also had a small serving of coleslaw with mine, and I was totally full. I put one serving away for lunch tomorrow; and gave NIKO some too, as he just loves pasta or rice of any kind.

Hope everyone is having a great week; take good care, your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Hello and good morning

:brr: We have had snow again over night and thicker than the other night. Though some of the previous layer had melted the other new snow has covered that. Most of the schools are closed so parents are having to find alternative child care. Today we were suppose to go to Bognor Regis but it was called off yesterday after the weather forecast. So now resheduled for Monday lets hope things are better by then.

VALDINE Hello nice to hear from you. I think I would have not been able to do a work biggest loser challenge. For me it would have been pressure to lose at a certain rate and I can't do that even if the pressure is from no one but myself.

That is the reason that I have lost weight the way I have it has been under my terms and at my speed. If I had done it under the doctor or gone to a slimming type club I would have felt so pressured. Yes I would have lost weight as I hate to be seen to fail publically. Though the main thing to me I wouldn't have been happy were this way I have been happy throughout and gone at the pace the suits me not everyone else.

I am sure there is a way to make perogies more fibre rich. I may be barking up the wrong tree as I have never ate or seen them. I wondered whether bran or oat bran would work. Here you can buy these and they are very fine not as fine as flour admittedly but I think they might work. Filling them with vegetable as well would help. I am sure another source of information on perogies is the internet and you might come across the perfect recipe. Where you "can have your cake and eat it" without feeling dreadful afterwards as it is too carb rich for you.

ROSEBUD Thanks for holding the fort yesterday I was busy with some household chore that have piled up. I have still a few to get really squared up but I am getting there. I have done the washing and cleaned the bathroom out. Just bed to strip and bed linen to wash. Mop kitchen floor and hoover throughout. Then of course the dreaded ironing :D Nice now though to have made in roads into the chores and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I was tired last night though come near bed time I was falling asleep watching television with DH. I have a few television programme for me to catch up on but I just watch them not DH. I am sure I will make a start on those programmes today so I get some rest in between my jobs.

See you and your DH are playing detective at the minute hunting the mysterious leak. It is annoying that you know it comes from somewhere but it is baffling. I hope you find it soon for your peace of mind.

Your DH sound like mine when it comes to patience with boxes etc. I find his tolerance level is very low so much nicer to do it alone like you said. Certain things he has the patience of a saint like with pc when they are going wrong. I put my hands up I get frustrated here so just walk away for a while and do something else. I suppose our tolerance levels for different things are different from person to person that makes the variety of life.

I love meatballs and spaghetti (or pasta) in sauce it is a lovely dish. I may have it tomorrow now you have made me think about it ;) Today we are having some lamb that my DH boned for us. Buying it with the bone in is cheaper and then you can take it out. You can make a soup from the bone if you like and toss vegetables in it to make it healthy it. This soup here is called peasant soup (lamb soup) It is good to make the stock first then let it cool to take any fat off. Then make the soup as you normally do. If you have any pieces of lamb from the meal toss them in and well near the end of cooking. Cheap and filling soup. Our Rizzie as been lucky with this one he has got the bones. I am cooking them at the minute and he will have them later. He loves them but he does make a mess of the kitchen floor. Remind me not to clean it until later ;) He loves bones but I only give them once in a while as they tend to constipate him :o

Time to go and wash up the breakfast pots. So catch up with you soon ladies

meowee
02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi gang . . . :grouphug:

If anybody needs some fresh snow, I'd be willing to sell you some. :s: Gee whiz, I don't think it's ever going to stop snowing.

Have to take one of my cats and one of my friend's dogs in for booster shots at noon -- hope we can find the vet's. :lol:

ronni62
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi, I hope you don't mind if I join in? Wanted to say hi to Rosebud (been missing you!) and meet some of you who have some challenges too. I'll have to admit I've been lurking a couple days to try to get to know you in advance:o

Purpleorc-Our news was showing video of your snow the other day and it was so beautiful! They were saying the southern UK only gets snow about once a decade or so, so it really messes things up. I got to go to London 30 years ago when I was in high school (and doesn't that make me feel older!) and it rained all week, so everything was pretty, but very gray. Those snowy pictures on tv made everything look almost magical & I even recognized some of the places we had visited!

meowee-please don't send any more snow! What we have may not melt till July as it is:lol:

Rosebud-I know exactly where you're coming from on the DH and helping issue:lol: It really does make you wonder if males and females came from different planets;) Hope you find the cause of that water leak-our washer discharge used to splash out of the drain tube and make a huge mess, so I think DH put a larger pipe on it and clamped the washer drain hose to it, so it wouldn't move.

Hi to everyone else too. Hope to get to know you all better! Have a great day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
:welcome: RONNI ~ I think you'll enjoy talking to VAL & PURPLE, as they both have MS and have been dealing with this condition for some time. I know that you recently just got a definitive diagnosis, and although you may not want it, I know that it has been 16 long years that you've been waiting to know 'WHAT' was up with your health. Sometimes, that can be more frustrating; just not knowing why we are sick. I'm glad the MAYO clinic was able to help you, and so quickly. :hug:

We are pleased that you would like to join us here. As you've likely noticed already, there are quite a few people with MS that come by this forum; and there is a thread that VAL bumps up regularly that MSer's post in about specific issues to them. I see that you put up some threads with questions about MS, and you will get responses from others who pop in here now and then.

Yes, I do post in the CE/Christian Encouragers thread, but I post in here almost every day, as all these lovely ladies know what it is like to try to get healthier and lose weight when you have physical challenges. This is something that I have to deal with on a daily basis, so it is dear to my heart. I try to post in CE a few times a week, as I have time; and like many others, I pop into the Canadian thread, and occasionally, into the 50-Something thread now that I am 50 y/y ... :lol:; plus other places that interest me, but it does take a lot of time to post in all those places, so I try to mix it up a bit as time allows.

BTW ~ thanks for the tips about the water drain pipe; it sure is a quandry for us. DH is in a better mood today. I know now that he was upset becuz the water leak put a halt to our sorting and the kitchen looked like a tornado hit it for awhile, but we had it all straightened by dinner time. We will just have to keep an eye out to see if we can find the source, but I'm so glad nothing was damaged either! :D

HI PURPLE ~ WOW, you had snow that actually stayed on the ground; well, this is an experience you won't soon forget, for sure. ;) Glad you are making headway with your household chores. Some people don't realize that for us, it is a full-time job just keeping up with the household stuff. I'm afraid I overdid it a bit yesterday and had to take an aspirin as my one foot was throbbing last night making it difficult to sleep; we think I strained the muscles on the top of my foot somehow. Gee, my body really acts up these days.

Yah, I made spagetti and meatballs becuz you reminded me last weekend, and now I reminded you. :D Hey, leftover spagetti & meatballs makes a great lunch or even a quick leftover frozen meal for Saturday night. I find I feel fuller longer when I have that dish; one of the benefits of it, I think. Planning on fish tonight, with salad; not sure if it will be baked fries or new potatoes yet?

HI MEOWEE ~ sounds like you are getting buried down/over there; we have piles here too. It's starting to come up over our front deck. :lol: DH is getting concerned, but I think it is helping to keep the winds out of our house too. Gotta look on the positive side and for the benefits like $savings$ on heat bills too.;)

HI to VAL & NUMPSTER ~ yeah, it's Thursday already, so just Friday left for this week. We are having milder temps today; it's already up to -7C. Hope that stays for tomorrow as they say, becuz we want to go shopping tomorrow too.

Take good care ladies :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi RONNI . . . :hug: . . . glad to have you with us, Chickie.

Right you are ROSEBUD . . . :lol: . . . the snow does make for good insulation.

purpleorc
02-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Good morning Chickie's

Fortunately no more snow over night even though bucket loads was forecast by the weather folk. The first real snow we have had in over a decade and this is the longest it has lasted that is for sure. Some councils locally are worried that they will run out of rock salt to grit the roads with.

RONNI62 :welcome2: to the thread nice to have you on board and pleased to meet you.

Yes this snow is causing havoc to this country as we are not prepared for this amount with us having snow so infrequently. For the first time in London's history the buses where cancelled. That is a bit of a shock when you think they managed to work through all the disruption that bombing did in the second world war. When it says the south of England gets snow about every decade I think you can count that in for the majority of the country. There are only a few places which get it to this degree. I live in the middle of the country hence the areas name is the midlands which is about 130 miles away from London.

ROSEBUD Yes headway made into those chores only the ironing to do now. See how I have left my favourite task till last :lol:

It is such a balancing act getting things done but not over doing it which has a really negative effect. Hope your foot mends soon and your pain free shortly. Yes the one thing for people with challenges it takes us much longer to do tasks that others may take for granted like I did prior to MS. What I could do in a day before now takes 2 or 3 days. Though I am thankful that I can still do these tasks or with some help or roundabout way that I have come up with to achieve the end goal.

You say your body is acting up these days. I wondered if your SB start to have ill effects on your body due to the gait etc. I know my next door neighbour who has the same condition has had numerous knee operations due to the gait she has now it is effecting her hip.

Dad is having his operation this morning for his cataract not sure which eye they are doing today as both have to be done. He is having one done then 3 months later the other is done. He is having it done as a day case if everything does go to plan. Should be out at 11am god willing.

MEOWEE OK stop send us your snow ;) see your having a bad time like many places. Wrap up warm and be careful.

Time to go and sort out lunch. Catch up with you soon and take care

meowee
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Sun is shining and the ice on top of the snow is all sparkley -- so pretty. :yes:

Actually, when I first got up this morning I was sure it was Saturday. do you think I'm trying to make this Winter hurry on it's way? Oh well, when you are an ORF, one day is much like another and it's okay with me to get two Saturdays in a row. :lol:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-06-2009, 09:19 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we had lovely temps today (-4C) and had some sunshine on top of that, so we got all the way up to 0C by early this afternoon. It was a perfect day to go shopping; and my foot was feeling much better and I was able to walk around 4 stores: that's great for me in one day! Now I am resting my feet while soaking my leg: my scrape is getting smaller every day; I'm hoping it will be all healed up by spring.

PURPLE ~ we are hearing that you have record snow over there; wow, some firsts for sure. It's true that I was told that I had an odd gait when I was a child, but I didn't really know how it could affect me today. My mother just told me not to worry about it, but they did check that every year growing up. I'm just so grateful and thankful to be walking as I have had friends throughout my life with Spina Bifida who eventually had to use wheelchairs. I thank GOD for this privilege daily!

MEOWEE ~ actually, it's an ORF's honor and privilege to have as many holidays as they want! As as matter of fact, DH (MOF) and I (OFW) get the days mixed up all the time ...;)

HI VAL, NUMPSTER, AND RONNI ~ hope you all are having a great Friday night. Actually, I ran into RONNI in another thread earlier today. :D

We are just having a relaxing Friday night at home; take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Ladies

A bit late coming on here today as I have been busy today. Firstly I got up late after sleeping in. Went to the farmers market then returned back and made some banana and walnut muffins. On tasting it they are a little sweet for my taste I think I will take a little sugar out next time. I made these as I had a glut of banana. I then had a friend come round for a visit with his young daughter of 2. She was gorgeous and played with our dog who was in in own delights a child to play with him which he loves.

ROSEBUD I know that with the condition of polio there is difficulties in adult life as well so I did not know if that was the case with SB. Yes it makes you thankful to have your mobility when you see others not so fortunate. Many friends I have from the MS centre are in wheelchairs.

Just eaten a yummy carrot and corriander soup :T for tea. At 126 calories for a big bowl I think it is good calorie wise with a slice of bread very filling. Got to get my thinking cap on what to have for tea tomorrow that is with our eating plan. For DH I think it will be something with eggs as I bought some cheap eggs and so would like to use them up in healthy recipes.

I have to make a packed lunch for monday tomorrow so early tomorrow I need to take out the appropriate items from the freezer. I take a packet lunch to cut down on the unhealthy food you tend to eat on such journeys if you do not go prepared. Plus I have to take something for our dog. I have some chicken for him plus water of course.

MEOWEE Your a bit like me on losing days. It is so easy when you do not go to work so have a schedule that you work to it can be disorientating to say the least. So here's to your second Saturday in a row ;) bit like groundhog day :D

Must go and do the pots from tea. We had it early today as we ate a light lunch with getting up late. Take care drop by soon.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-07-2009, 08:47 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we are having weird weather here. It's mild for sure, but it started raining and that formed little ice pellets all over our car. Now, its blowing light snow around with quite cold and blustery winds; and the damp just went through your bones today .... yuck and more yuck!

We had an adventure today; our rascally NIKO got unhitched off his outside line and went wandering around our neighbourhood to visit some friends. DH couldn't find him, so I went out while he was trying to get the ice off the car. A friendly little bougie came by and barked at me; turns out he was trying to tell me that our boy was at his house. So, I kept calling and whistling and sure enuff, NIKO came bounding out from the bougie's back yard, and scampered gleefully back home.

DH was perturbed with him but I was glad that he came when I called him and didn't get lost, being that he really doesn't know this area at all. I had suggested to DH that he might be over there becuz they have one large German Shepherd that lives in the backyard (it is a multi-apartment house), and this cute little bougie who lives in the front. I found out DH was afraid to go near the Shepherd becuz two of our neighbours said he was vicious. I laughed and said, 'Well, he isn't vicious to our NIKO, just to strange little men with funny hats, who go pokin' around his yard ~ lol!' ;)

Well, I managed to put up some of my brass ornaments today and DH hung a couple of pictures on the wall before our little adventure was underway. We'll have to do the rest another day. We just had a light dinner tonight; I just had chicken dogs and a bowl of shredded mixed coleslaw. I had one whole wheat toasted bun along with this; nuttin' fancy ...

PURPLE ~ I managed to find some chicken bacon yesterday that is 60 calories for two slices; I will try it tomorrow and see how it tastes. I remembered you mentioning turkey bacon, or something like that one day; all I could find here was the chicken bacon. I also picked up some turkey pepparonis to have a pizza egg omelette. You could have omelettes or even a nice quiche with all those eggs you picked up. Hard-boiled eggs go nice in a packed lunch; DH and I often take those on our picnic lunches in the summertime.

HI to MEOWEE, and VAL, and NUMPSTER ~ hope all you ladies are having a restful weekend.

We aren't going anywhere with the icey roads we have around here right now. Well, it's time for tea; so take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-08-2009, 06:12 AM
good morning chicks

The snow is still hanging about though has melted to a degree now but it is very chilly outside. Just made my sandwiches for tomorrow and popped in water for the Riz. Just about got everything ready for that.

Still continue to watch the Victorian farm about life on a farm during that time. Some of the recipes are good to see made long died out and forgotten to the age of time. For once they have chosen a lady who is not squeamish and just gets on with the task in hand. I have never heard her complain or whine about anything. We all know how hard life was back then no mod cons so to speak of. They have made a variety of things from brawn ( might be an English dish of the cooked meat striped from the head of a pig set in jelly), ginger ale, pound cake and chutneys

ROSEBUD I think we can get hold of turkey bacon but I had never tried it. I use ordinary bacon rashers but get the leanest I can find and trim any fat from them. I then have 2 rashers grilled in my Foreman grill if I have not had many calories that day then I will have 2. I was lucky the other day to find some medallions of bacon on offer so we had those there was no visible fat they were gorgeous in a bread roll.

Rizzie is a home bird he does not wander very far. Even if the gate or door is left open accidentally he never bothers to wander away. DH says he knows it got it too good here ;) A few days after we moved here Rizzie decided to jump over the hedges and went into garden a couple of doors down. I could hear his crying he was frightened and couldn't find his way back. (silly billy had jumped the fences but couldn't remember to jump them back :o ) So I went to these new neighbours and apologised and asked could I go and get him. Since that day he has never bothered to jump fences (well privet hedges).

I am having a rest day today to make sure I am well rested for our big trip down south tomorrow. Not looking forward to travelling that far but we don't do these really long journeys much so shouldn't complain.

Eggs are so versatile and you can use them in so many ways. Did DH some shirred ones yesterday. This is where you bake them though I cheat and do them in the microwave for 1minute 10 seconds. Spray a bowl with one cal oil or the buttery version. break 2 eggs into this. Prick both yokes so they do not explode. Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) do not put hole in this though cook on full power. ( mine microwave is a 800 watt) Then leave for one minute. Be extremely careful pierce a hole in the plastic wrap to let the steam escape. Then take off plastic wrap off dish. Take eggs out of bowl and place on a warmed plate. There you have it shirred eggs microwave style. If you do not have any spray oil. use a tiny knob of butter/margarine in the bottom of the dish. Do nothing with the knob of butter / margarine just break eggs on to it. quick easy dish to do with eggs.

HI to MEOWEE, RONNI62, VAL, and NUMPSTER hope your having a lovely weekend.

Take care must go and do my hair.

meowee
02-08-2009, 08:15 AM

After an absolutely gorgeous day with lots of sunshine and seasonal temperatures yesterday, today is above freezing and raining. Have to go out for a little and don't imagine I'll melt.

Have a great Sunday everybody . . . :carrot:

Beverlyjoy
02-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi chicks! Well it a sunny day here and most of the snow has melted. :D (I am so glad all the ice is gone! :) )

Tomorrow I am facing a hard day. I am going to work (I am a prof. storyteller) with a friend helping me - she will push me in with a wheelchair. This is the most humbling thing I've had to face in a long time. But, I've decided to go in with a smile and say the truth - I am having a flare of my foot/ankle tendonitis, but, it won't stop what I want to do. I can certainly do my job very well once I get into the school. I will carry on - but, I know these folks will be shocked to see me in a wheelchair. I've gone there several years before.

I hope you all have a fantastic day. :D

Wish me luck, please - that it all goes well. Thanks.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ our day started out pretty nice with gorgeous sunshine for most of the day; we had a beautiful full moon tonight and DH managed to catch it before it went to the other side of our place where we can't see it.

:welcome: BEVERLYJOY ~ will send up some prayers for you for your storytime tomorrow. I know it will be hard but if you look at it like it will only be temporary that might help you feel better; and this is a good learning tool for the students as well, helping them to accept people who face different challenges. You never know, some day one or more of them will likely face a similar challenge. I'm sure things will go well too! :hug:

HI MEOWEE ~ glad you are getting nice weather like we are out your way; makes it a nice day to get out and enjoy. Dh said that despite the lovely sunshine the winds were deceivingly cold; he went for a walk and turned around and came back earlier than he intended. I decided to sit by our big window and soak the sun up that way. ;)

PURPLE ~ I think I'm just a little confused; it must have been someone else on another thread who told me they eat turkey bacon. Anyways, DH & I tried the chicken bacon and we like it a lot; not as strong a flavor but very, very lean and doesn't shrink hardly at all. We each had a chicken bacon toasted sandwich for lunch.

TOnight, we had roast beef dinner with veggies (carrots, onion, celery, and mixed beans from our garden) and mash potatoes; then I took the leftovers and made a shepherd's or cottage pie for tomorrow. There's even a bit of beef leftover that could be used for sandwiches or maybe a pot of soup.

We call brawn 'head cheese' here in Canada; not sure why, but they grind up the meat and prepare it in a similar manner, and I think it's often used for sandwiches. I really don't know as I have never tried it becuz the name is a bit gross, and well, it doesn't look that great either. It kinda of reminds me of something we ate way too much of as kids called 'luncheon meat'. :lol:

HI TO VAL, RONNI, and NUMPSTER ~ Numpster hasn't been on the net of late; she is pretty busy with work and also planning an early spring wedding for one of their kiddies (they have four children; all grown now though).

Anyways, that's all the news from here; not much goin' on. Gonna go get my nightly giant mug of tea, so take good care ladies ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Good Morning! Want to thank you all for having me in here. It's nice to meet more people and be able to visit. I was checking out everyone's profiles the other day, so I'd know you better and enjoyed seeing your photos. I hadn't thought of putting one on, but might if I can figure out how to do it:lol: Everyone here is sick with a virus, so not much going on. Saturday, we were excited to find that Nascar was back in Daytona, so we could watch the race and then the time trials yesterday. Something to do and not have to get up off the couch. We just kept the tissues handy and I made chicken soup from scratch to help us feel better. DH used to build cars and race at local tracks, so he really enjoys getting to watch those races.

Purple-I noticed in your profile you play whist. I've never met another person except my DH's family who knows that game! They've been trying to teach me for years and we play his parents every time we go to visit. They're divorced, but get along very well now. I once "grand-slammed" them, but usually don't do that well! Hope your trip goes well today:)

Rosebud-glad you're having some nicer weather too! It's really making me want spring, but I know that's a way off yet. Glad you found Niko. Our Kasey doesn't seem to want to wander much, but forgets to stay when I have to cross the street to get the mail and that upsets the dog across the street, who's rather old and not used to kids or other animals.

Beverlyjoy-I'm sure your day will go better than you expect. You're prepared and others will adapt! Enjoy your day:hug:

Meowee-Glad your rain came in liquid form! Our day has started with freezing rain this morning. Now, I'll probably have to go to town with the DSs to make sure DS2 gets to school ok (he has to drive 15 miles for the class he takes at the public school and he's a new driver, so we are very cautious). You'll have to forgive me, but what's an ORF? Just can't figure that one out. Rosebud used a couple that I don't know either-help?

Hi to Val and Numpster too! I hope all of you have a really good day!

meowee
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM

Complete change in the weather again . . . :lol: . . . think we had about 2 inches of snow overnight last night but it's hard to tell because the winds have been so high today it looks like it has still been snowing all day. And boy has it been cold again. I think the sun was shining a lot of the time, even though the blowing snow more or less obscured it.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring. :dizzy: Just listening to the forecast and it says not as windy and not as cold. Guess time will tell.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ well, we got a lot accomplished today; I think we sorted through almost half a dozen boxes of dishes today. I hope that's the last of the boxes of dishes as all our cupboards are full now; but we are donating one very large box of miscell glassware to Goodwill.

MEOWEE ~ yah, the weather is sure up and down this year; we had a wee snowstorm the other night, but it had cleared up by this morning and we had sunshine most of the day. It's milder right now at -6C and DH just told me that we have heavy snow out there again as we speak. :dizzy:

HI RONNI ~ we are glad to have you in our thread. It's been a while since I put my pic in my profile, so I'd have to do a refresher to figure that out again. Purple or Val can probably tell you better than me right now. The acronyms Meowee uses are jokes that she affectionately calls herself (ORF = old retired fart); and I responded with DH (MOF = my old fart); and OFW = old fart's wife. :lol: Actually, DH often refers to himself as the GOF = grumpy old fart, to the kiddies. ;) It's all in fun though ...

Prayers for those colds you and your family have; that's kinda yucky. I know I hate going out when I'm sick. Nice that you got to see some car racing to while away the time. Interestingly, my Dad used to build and drive race cars for fun too, many moons ago.

PURPLE ~ hope you had a good trip. I think you probably told us that WHIST was a card game; like your drives, we have card tournaments here sometimes (usually euchre or bridge). What kind of game is it like ... Canasta, Euchre, or Bridge maybe???

HI TO VAL, NUMPSTER, and BEVERLYJOY ~ hope you all had a lovely day. Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

valpal23
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
:wave: hi ladies! Beverlyjoy it's good to see you over here. Sometimes just acknowledging the special obstacles we have to face on a regular basis helps us 'be okay' with them. I think you storytelling from a wheelchair will hopefully make people be aware and considerate of others in wheelchairs. I think it truly can happen to anyone. Mobility is so precious. How was your experience that day? i hope it went well!

purple how is your dad doing after the procedure?

Rosebud it's been goregous here too! it was minus one today. only minus one in february!!!!! have you started getting ready for spring yet?

ronni click on 'user cp' at the top of the page and you should see a bunch of 'edit' bars displayed. do you want to add a profile picture or change your display picture?

:wave: meowee.

I caught this cold thing on Friday and realized I needed to slow down when my hand went numb while i was sitting at my work desk so i spent the weekend napping on and off. i'm recovering my energy now.. oh yeah!! and i bought furniture for my living room :) two loveseats and a nice desk. now i just need nesting tables and some updated lamps - it will finally feel like my living room rather than my parents. I figured i work hard enough during the day i deserve a nice living room space since i spend most of my time here.

must go to bed! take care all!

Beverlyjoy
02-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Chicks! Well - my performance and morning went very very well. I picked up my good friend Sally. She got all of my 'stuff' out of the car, including the wheelchair. She 'wheelied' me in to my performance spot and then brought in the rest of my stuff. Some of the teachers were a bit shocked and surprised to see me coming in a wheelchair. But, it was just fine. I am so, so grateful for my friend Sally helping. Today - my DH is taking a day off of work to help me. I have a tall chair (lightweight 'bar chair' from which I did my performance) it keeps me sitting up high - as if I was standing. So children in the back can see well too. They asked about the brace on my foot and explained. It went fine. Whew....

valpal - thanks! It went well. You are SO right. Mobility is a very very precious thing. Your new furniture sounds so pretty.

justwannabe- thanks for the 'colorful' welcome. Yes, indeed - it's an OK thing for children to see my brace and learn that it doesn't have to stop life.

hi meowee - did you make a snowman? Take care and have a good day.

ronni62 - you are so right. My day yesterday went better than I imagined - or really was dreading. Thanks so much.

I did eat a bit extra - but - I am thinking getting over this hurtle will make getting back to food sanity a possibility again. I had been utterly dreading this wheelchair stuff.

Have a great day, chicks!

meowee
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Another cold but sunny day for northeastern Nova Scotia. Still windy, but down to somewhat tolerable.

Off to get my haircut later this morning and still dithering about a change of style. Although, I may be fighting a losing battle since after all these years, the hair just kind of does whatever it feels like anyway. :dizzy:

Back has been feeling pretty good the past few days . . . :crossed: . . . of course, tomorrow is garbage day so we'll just have to wait and see what happens after that.

Have a great day, everybody . . . :carrot:

purpleorc
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Good Afternoon Ladies

A good lot of our snow disappeared yesterday with the deluge of rain we had yesterday. When travelling south to Bognor Regis we saw fields standing in water. There was one field that had seagulls swimming in the standing water. Not the most surreal moment we had but travelling towards us on the opposite carriageway was 2 army tank with an army personnel standing up through the opening you have in the tank at the top of the vehicle. Gosh so weird to see that normally you see tanks being moved on other army vehicles like lorries. We had a great journey down there to Bognor Regis but it did take longer to come back as people were rubber necking at an accident that had occurred now in been brought into the hard shoulder of the motorway.

I went for my treatment today in the oxygen tank it was busy in there today with 5 of us. 4 ladies and 1 gent lucky gent ;) Time went quick today at the session and afterwards as lots of people to chat to so that make time fly.

I had a bit of a bad day yesterday firstly I thought I would try this new ballet move I had learnt ;) alright I own up it was a fall really :D. I was in the bathroom and stood up from the toilet and fell backwards hitting the toilet cistern right across my back. To say the least that was painful and not a move to be repeated anytime soon.

Then if that was not bad enough I had a freak accident. I was getting into a van and sitting down. In my pocket of my long cardigan was my pill container. Has I sat on the seat of the van I sat on the pill container. Normally it would have sunk into the padding on the van seat and my fat/skin on my base of my back. Though unfortunately I managed to sit on the part of the seat that contains the fasting for the seat belt. This part is flush to the chair and you never have any trouble from it but with sitting on top of that and my pill container at the same time recipe for disaster. It hit my tail bone giving me a shooting pain up my spine and down my right leg. I suspect by my knowledge of your body it was the sciatic nerve that I happened to hit. I have this morning a lovely black bruise and it is still very tender and sore. So both incidents shook me up a bit and recovering today.

meowee Glad to hear that your back is a little better after your recent troubles.

You seem to been having bad snow as well as us by recent accounts .Lets hope spring comes soon.

You will have to let us know if you change your hairstyle at the hairdressers. I go so infrequently to the hairdresser but there again I have long hair don't need much care in that department.

Beverlyjoy :welcome2: to the thread and nice to meet you.

I am glad to see that you are continuing to do the things you love to do which is teach children. Children adapt so well to disability better than adults. Biting the bullet is the hardest job but you have done it and I bet now that you are so pleased that you did.

You have a supportive husband and a friend Sally which are so important at times like this. I know my DH is wonderful and allows me to do so many things that I couldn't without his help. As Valdine (valpal) said mobility is so precious thing. I have gain some of my mobility back with losing the weight. At times now I looks as drunk as skunk as I can't walk in a straight line to save my live. Though I know how lucky I am every day to wake up and be able to walk. I know that might not always be the case but until then I will value every minute.

Valdine Thanks for asking after Dad. He has done brilliant after the cataract operation. He is was in pain and could not bear the light (so wore sun glasses) on the next day. Though there after he has been OK. So quick recovery and he is not wearing glasses at all now not even his ordinary glasses. This is because the surgeon I think did his worse eye and his other eye is not so bad even though he is having it done also in about 4 months time.

It is hard balancing act getting it right so you do not sap all your energy. So glad you have some nice furniture and changing the room to your taste rather than your parents. The furniture sounds nice and will help you relax when at home.

Ronni Yes I am a whist player and that is where I am going tonight in fact and we pick an elderly lady up along the way and take her there to play as well. I have played since I was knee high to a grasshopper ;) Not sure what the term grand slammed is as we do not use it in whist here. Unless you mean that you took all 13 tricks.

I love homemade soup and it tastes so much better than the shop bought ones. Plus big bonus it is heaps cheaper as well and you know what is going in it ingredients wise. It is an excellent opportunity to put in lots of vegetables and pulses.

We do not have nascar racing here in the UK so not quite certain what type of car racing it is. So I will have to look it up on the INTERNET to educate myself. It must be fun to build your own and race them locally.

Rosebud Yes you and me both are put off by brawn (cheese head) looks gross here especially the shop bought one. The one home made looked quite nice until she put in the cooked brain and then the eye balls (whole) :barf: Prior to the horrid ingredients namely the brain and eyeballs it was just small cooked pieces of pork in pork jelly.

I do not like luncheon meat or spam for that matter. I think the only cold tinned meat that I will eat is corned beef otherwise I steer clear of them. I am very fortunate when growing up we did not have these meats but had for sandwiches / salads a very cheap cut of meat called the hock (from the pig) it taste like cooked bacon / gammon. We loved to be given the opportunity to pick the meat from the bone when it was about finished.

Gosh now you have got me thinking what game is it like Whist. I suppose from what i have heard from bridge players it is similar to that but much simpler to play. I was playing as a child quite competently and my niece who is now 15 started to play when she was about 12 after a bit of persuading she was shy and timid. Now she is an excellent play and better than me now as I have difficultly in remembering what has gone :o at times especially when I am tired.

Must go as I have dinner on the go and I will burn it to a frazzle if I do not watch out. So take care and catch up with you soon. Sorry if there is any mistakes but been a busy day and I so wanted to drop by :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we woke up to freezing rain this morning, but it has finally stopped for now. There are forcasting sun for tomorrow; and with the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if that is correct.

HI PURPLE ~ glad you had a good trip to B-Regis; sorry you had a bit of a fall though. The big bruises on my derriere finally went away from that fall over the back doorstep; we all have those little accidents, don't we? Sometimes, when there is a weather disaster, you will see the army and their equipment called out to aide the public, but you're right ... tanks are a bit odd!

I remember now that it was EZMONEY who said that sometimes he has a turkey bacon sandwich for his breakfast when he was explaining on his goal thread his daily menu for losing thirty pounds recently. Their are some meats that we ate as kids that I now detest and luncheon loaf, chicken loaf, and SPAM, are top of the list; I'm also not too found of 'puffed wheat' cereal (I would skip that and have toast instead). Well, we had a large family and my parents had to be thrifty in some ways.

MEOWEE ~ I'm glad to hear your back is feeling better; I was wondering if you could use a toboggan for the winter and a wagon for the summer. My Dad put a wooden box on a small toboggan and we used it for pulling all kinds of things like wood for the fire and garbage and so forth. In the summer, DH uses a wagon that he made with bicycle wheels and a fridge insert for the box: very clever. So many people have complimented him on it's practicality and have copied his design too.

BEVERLYJOY ~ So glad everything went well at the school; we were sure it would, as children are so caring and accepting of others who have difficulties. We are all so blessed to have friends and spouses who help us out so much; my DH helps me out a lot too, and I am very grateful for that!

HI VAL ~ you won't believe it, but we had +5C here today! Yes, we are getting ready for spring: DH has even shovelled out his trailer (a bit each day over the last week or so) and his ski-doo as NIKO kept getting caught up on the skiis (so he had to move if further back in the yard). DH has his building books out today as he wants to get started first thing in April on that cottage. He says that he wants to build a small shed for us first at the back to store materials and give us a handy place to get out of the elements. He saved all the materials from his shop at the last place; and he's very ansy to get up there (we both are really).

HI RONNI ~ hope you and your family are battling off that cold/flu that you had earlier this week. I meant to mention that my Dad was also an amateur race car driver and he had his own race car; and he won many, many races. He also managed to win a bit of money and that helped a lot because we had a big family and jobs were hard to find back then (and every bit helped). This success led him to become a long-haul truck driver.

:wave: HI NUMPSTER ~ I know you are really busy with LD's wedding coming up soon; hope you make sure to take good care of your health and try not to stress out too much. I know that everything will be just fine.

Well today, we are just stayin' indoors as it is too slick and damp out there; we are having chicken of some kind for dinner with baked veggies and salad and likely baked new potatoes. I hope you've all had a great Tuesday; and take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Hello :wave:

Nice to get out last night and play cards after a few weeks of not playing due to the weather. We went to our furtherest one away from our home last night to play to a village near Melton Mowbray. (the famous home of the pork pie) I did no good but my DH managed to win a small amount of money for the most 6's scored in 24 hands. The lady whom we bring to the whist drive she won a raffle prize of £3.00 which is about $6.00. Seeing as we do not pay very much to get in the money and prizes are very good.

Nothing much else going on here since I spoke to you last night. Just getting my shopping list together to go to do my weekly grocery shopping. Not very much on it I wonder if I have forgotten something :dizzy:. Will have another scout round before we leave to do our shopping to see if I can come up with anything I may have omitted. Not complaining though if it is only a small grocery shop nice to have them once in a while.

ROSEBUD Mystery solved of the turkey bacon and I do not have to call in Sherlock Holmes ;) I suspect it is rather nice and low in fat not to mention lower in calories. Nothing like a bacon sandwich :T. Did meatballs yesterday with pasta which of course I have to measure out due to being very heavy handed with it. Really enjoyed that, then had some tinned peaches and plain yoghurt sweetened slightly.

Not so sore today which is a bonus after my fall usually I am suffering for longer so I have been blessed this time and I am really grateful for that. Yes falling is part and parcel of our physical challenges which i knew might be what I had to face at some point. Now my balance has deteriorated I know the risk has just gone up but at least I am able to do many things that others can't with my condition.

Hello :wave: Ronni, Numpster, Valdine and Beverlyjoy I hope your all well and taking care of yourselves.

Well as I said not much to report here today so I will go now and plait (braid) my hair and get ready for going shopping so take care of yourselves till next time

Beverlyjoy
02-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Hi chicks! - my second day with the wheelchair went well. I am over the initial hurtle - but, am certainly not in any 'comfort zone' with this. It will take time. Today I am going to a childcare - I can park right by the door and don't have far to go inside - so I am on my own. (no wheelchair) I'll see how my foot/ankle and back does with this amount of walking and lifting.

My pieces and parts are hurting today. I think the heating pad the bag of peas on in my future later on.

Purpleorc - it's nice to get away for some card playing. Glad you had a good time and won some money, too. So sorry about your fall - it can shake things up and make parts achy.

justwanna - be careful with the freezing rain - it can be treacherous. Ours finally thawed last weekend.

Meow- so glad your back has been doing a bit better. Maybe someone can help you with the garbage. Take care.

Hello to Ronnie, Numster and Valdine.

Have a great day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-11-2009, 07:32 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ We had a lovely mild day; couldn't believe the temps +7C right up to dinner time, but it's now starting to drop and that's a good thing, as our Winter Carnival gets into full gear this week and everything is melting on us. The streets have big pools of water and the drains are full up, but the road guys are working hard to cart the wet snow and slush away as fast as they can.

DH wanted to do the shopping today so we went up and I was able to walk around pretty good. I think all these extra exercises I'm doing in the morning are really helping to strengthen my legs. We took the extra dishes and glassware to goodwill, and did a few other errands as well. I bought some clear rectangle bins to put all my mom's glassware in (they are cute with little chickadees etched on them); and the containers I needed just happened to be on sale this week.

BEVERLYJOY ~Thanks, we were lucky today that the temps were warm all day; and it is just going down now so the wet stuff left will freeze overnight. DH went out this morning and put rock salt over all our steps and laneway, but he did have a fall. He said he was OK because he was kinda expecting it; and by the time I went out, it was all melted from the salt he had put down. The town had the sand trucks out spreading sand all over the roads too.

PURPLE ~ we had perogies for dinner tonight as it's pasta night and we had spagetti & meatballs last week. I had 4 and DH ate 10 and NIKO ate 2; but I had a salad with mine and 2 turkey pepperettes for measure. ;) Next week, we'll have something else just to change things up a bit, as I like variety.

I had a bit of a silly accident today myself; I actually burned my chest on a hot stove burner, leaving a hole in my dress; thank goodness I pulled back right away and the burn wasn't too bad. I was trying to turn the burner down but as I'm short and fairly well-endowed, my right side touched the front burner which was on. This is the second time I have done this, but thankfully this time, I ruined the dress but didn't have a bad burn like last time which left a scar for years.

HI to MEOWEE, and VAL, and RONNI, and NUMPSTER ~ hope you all had a Wonderful Wednesday!!!

Take good care, ladies :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Ladies

Just about recovered from my recent escapade of a fall so most of the stiffness and soreness has gone. Another cold , grey day here at least most of the snow as melted now just a few patches here and there remain. There is more around the back of the bungalow there as it is the part of the garden that gets the least sun throughout the day.

I have a soup merrily shimmering away I have packed it full of vegetables and lentils. It is sure starting to smell nice. When it is cooked I will blend this soup to a smooth consistency which will be very shortly. Soups are an excellent way of packing in lots of vegetables but also a great opportunity to use any vegetables that need using up so not to waste them so saving money.

Today is a nice restful day today as tomorrow will be busier as I go to my parents every other Friday. I will also go into there home town and get some flaxseed which is one of the cheapest around. Plus the big bonus they do a flaxseed with gojo berries or there is another variety as well with pumpkin seeds. I have never tried the later variety but I do keep threatening. I have flaxseed every morning with my cereal as it helps with the horrid side effects of my tablets and keeps me regular so to speak.

BEVERLEYJOY Just about back to normal though it makes me very cautious for a while after a fall like this maybe too cautious. It makes me fearful of another fall is around the corner. I know it is part and parcel of the condition but it is the hurting that is not so nice ;)

ROSEBUD Just had my lunch of cottage pie with brussels, cabbage and carrots. Very nice and filling but warming just what you need on these cold wintry days. I see you have had perogies again last night for your lunch. Not sure what turkey pepperettes are so will have to look on the search engine to find out. I have just looked on the search engine with not much joy so I think you will have to enlighten me and educate me :D

Sorry to hear that you have burnt yourself and ruined a dress in the process. Some women think it will be wonderful to be big chested but it has its pitfalls and it is not all it is cracked up to be. Like you I am well endowed at the beginning of the journey I was wearing 44 DD but I think really and truthfully I should have been in a 46DD as I was struggling to put my girls in to the cups if you know what I mean ;) I have shrunk some what on this journey but gone up in cup size :dizzy: I now am 36F so not exactly small.

Burns are nasty as I know from experience I once leaned over stupidly the kettle and burnt my arm. I now have a scar on my forearm from the steam from the kettle. The scar is 2" long by 1" wide I estimate. Though this is nothing really when I compare to my DH who has been extensively burnt on his arms and body. I know the pain I got from my arm burn so it must have been really bad for my DH.

Time to shoot off and finish this soup so bye for now and take care

meowee
02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi there . . . :grouphug:

Grey and drizzling around here . . . relatively mild but the schools are closed again and the road fairies are warning against driving since nobody seems to be able to decide on which side of freezing the temperature will settle.

Nothing too exciting for me anyway . . . probably won't go any further than the post office.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ well, we just had an ordinary day today; the temps were colder but we did have some lovely sunshine most of the day. The winds were quite bad and the temps fell down to -18C this evening but we need that for our Winter Interlude this weekend.

HI MEOWEE ~ take it easy out there; DH fell yesterday as he was getting the car ready to go shopping. He said he didn't hurt himself (he was spreading ice salt around and slipped). Be very careful and watch that back. :D

PURPLE ~ so glad that you are feeling better. That pot of soup sounds great; think I'll make some for this weekend too, and maybe some muffins tomorrow for DH as well, as we are all out. Not to worry about that burn; only the dress was harmed as I managed to catch it and by today I was fine. I'll just wear that dress as a houseshift; I suppose I might be able to mend it: we'll see what it looks like when I'm done.

I know what you mean about the girls; I can wear two different sizes depending on the style and make. I think after we lose weight, things first deflate (DH's description), then tend to resettle just a tad differently than before. ;)

I bet you are glad to see the rest of that snow melted and gone for this year. Glad to hear that your DAD's cataract operation was such a success for him. DH has an unoperable cataract on one of his eyes from a stone in a snowball when he was about 6 y/o; but the eye doc and a specialist he saw said they couldn't fix that (too much damage).

I managed to get some really nice boneless & skinless chicken breasts for only $2.99 yesterday and DH went up town and picked up some more to put in the freezer as the price was so good. As you know, chicken is one of my favorite things to eat. Tonight, we had fish, baked fries, shredded coleslaw, and sliced tomatoes for dinner ...

Well, I am having my tea right now and letting my hair dry as I post in here too. It's handy because my desk is near the furnace so I'm nice and cozy. We just spent the day doing daily stuff; this a rest day after a full day of shopping.

HI NUMPSTER, BEVERYJOY, RONNI, and VAL ~ TGIF ... hope you all have a Fabulous Friday tomorrow!!! Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-13-2009, 10:25 AM
:grouphug:

Yesterday actually wasn't too bad, weather-wise, but today is just awful -- perfect weather for Friday the 13th, I guess, since it will keep a lot of people home and thus out of trouble. :s:

Hop the DH's fall doesn't catch up with him later.

ronni62
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Good Morning! Oh my gosh! So many accidents-did the effects of Friday the 13th just come early this time?:lol: I really, really hope Purpleorc and Rosebud's DH don't have any lasting effects from the falls (been there, done that, no fun at all!) and very glad that Rosebud wasn't burned badly. I never thought about those of you with larger busts being endangered while cooking;) I have a hard enough time just eating without dropping stuff on my chest and I'm not very well-endowed!

I was planning to go to town with DS2 today to pick up a couple groceries, but just feel totally wiped out after going to MN yesterday, plus, I think I've relapsed with this stupid cold and my head feels like it could explode:headache: MIL's surgery went well, but had to stay overnight due to an irregular heartbeat during the shoulder surgery. DH's oldest sis is going to take her home today if everything goes well (this has happened before, so they don't think it's going to be a problem-just something that happens when she's under anesthesia).

I was reading all of your posts and some of your foods sound wonderful! If we got together for a potluck, it'd be quite a feast (but no head cheese, please:lol:). We had some of the homemade chicken noodle soup I had taken to MIL last night, but think I need to make some more and maybe just take it intravenously! I'd like to try to make Purple's lentil/veggie soup. That sounds really good.

Rosebud-again, I'm so glad you weren't burned badly. Is there a way you can place a platform at your stove so you aren't so low and close to the burners? I'm short too, so I know the problems it can cause. Looking at houses, we see a lot of homes with the microwave above the stove. People have no idea how dangerous that is for someone our height. We once looked at a home that had been remodeled completely and was gorgeous, but the couple that owned it were both over 6' tall. When they did the kitchen, they raised the counters and placed the stove and fridge on platforms. The countertops were almost to my armpits! We just laughed and told the realtor that they had to find another really tall couple to buy that one!

Meowee-we've got your grey and drizzly too. I know it's only Feb, but couldn't spring come early just this once? Or, maybe twice? Or, maybe when DH retires, we'll move south for :sunny: and :beach:! Glad your back is feeling better. Did you decide to change your hair? I also have trouble deciding what to do with mine at times.

Beverlyjoy-so glad your performances have gone well! Hope the pain is getting better, though.

Purple-hope you are still recovering ok from your falls. Ow, ow, ow, I know how that hurts! And, hope you have safe travels today. Yep, on the whist grand-slam. My in-laws call it that when you not only take all the tricks, but take them all in the first round, so you win both the hand and the game. We've only managed to do it once in the 10 years they've been teaching me the game-oh, well!

Val-hope you are continuing to feel better. Your new furniture sounds nice. We think about new stuff, but then remember we have teenage boys and decide to wait:lol: I hadn't thought how illness affects the MS symptoms, but after reading what you said about your hand going numb, I realized that my lips and cheek started feeling numb and pins/needles sensations when this cold started. Wonder if it'll go away when the cold goes:dunno:

Hi also to numpster-I hear you're getting ready for a wedding? Hope all is well. We miss you.

Hope everyone has a nice, safe, uneventful Friday the 13th;) I really don't believe in superstition, but my family was from the Pennsylvania Dutch and some things are very ingrained:lol: My sis and I decided many years ago, though, that the really dangerous day is Saturday the 14th, because you let your guard down:dizzy: Take care, you all!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-13-2009, 11:04 PM
HI LADIES ~ well, it's Friday night and I just remembered that I hadn't posted yet today. We had lovely sunshine all day today which brought the temps up a bit. DH says the winds were a bit cold as he tried to go for a walk and had to come back because his face was freezing. For some reason, he just doesn't want to wear a scarf, but he has some nice, soft plaid scarves: I don't get it; it's like teens who just don't want to wear hats, but their ears are getting frostbite! Not cool, I guess ... :dunno:

Not me, I'll bundle up like an Eskimo if I have to; as a matter of fact, I don't want to go out unless I am! :lol: Dh often says to me, "Oh, you don't need a hat and scarf" and I tell him that it's my choice. I don't want to freeze, so I'm wearing them, and that's that!:p

HI RONNI ~ You know, if we didn't have buxom chests, all our food would just fall in our laps or on the table, like it does on my DH. He makes such a mess at the table when he eats; I finally know why! My side is clean because it always falls on me; and his falls all over the table and other places, making lots of work for me! ;)

Glad your MIL's surgery went well; have sent up prayers for the heart issue and that she will recover soon. I made a pot of tomato-bean soup today and there's enough leftover for lunch tomorrow as well (one of my favorites besides chicken noodle and mushroom). Yes, PURPLE and I like to exchange recipes and meal ideas. I like lots of variety and she has so many good low-cal dessert ideas too.

I know what you mean about putting a stool or something in front of my stove, but then I'd just trip over that since I can't seem to see past the two mountains just below my neck! :o;) I often trip over our NIKO because I just can't see him from the side or back, of course. :dizzy:

You often see models in ads; and Dh and I noticed today how tall the ladies are in them. Their hips are even with the burners and theirs heads are even with the stove fans! I can barely reach my stove fan with my hand; and as you know, the stovetop almost reaches my chest. DH and I noticed that all the cupboards here are too high; obviously, whoever built this place was very tall and forgot about all the shorties in this world. :lol:

MEOWEE ~ THANKS for your concern about DH; he still insists that he's A-OK! Says he didn't hurt himself at all, but he did just happen to mention that he fell when he came in. ;)

HI TO PURPLE, and VAL, and BEVERYJOY, and NUMPSTER ~ hope you all have a great weekend!

Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD :hug:

valpal23
02-14-2009, 01:13 AM
its the weekend YAY!

i will be attending a friend's wedding tomorrow. we had more than 15 inches of snow the last couple days.. and I was feeling stressed so i put my elliptical machine on a higher than normal setting and kinda ruined my knee for the day. So no workout today.

Long weekend in manitoba this weekend! Monday is the 2nd ever 'Louis Riel Day' Holiday. Louis Riel is the Metis Father of my province, and also the key leader of my Aboriginal nation - the Metis. woo long weekend :) i will have time to stop by! ttys!

purpleorc
02-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Good Morning

Been busy posting every one yesterday so lots for me to read. Did not drop by yesterday as I was at my parents for the day. Then the evening spent at my sisters. So a busy day was ready for my bed by the time I got home I can tell you.

VALDINE Sorry to hear that you over did it with the exercise it is such a fine balance in getting it right. I know I don't always get it right then pay for it like you have. Have a nice time at the wedding tomorrow of your friend.

RONNI So pleased to hear that your MIL operation went OK. It is a worrying time waiting for loved ones having operations. My father has another cataract operation on the horizon later this year about 3 months time.

Yes really nice in the winter lentil and vegetable soup. It is such an excellent way to pack in load of vegetable and so warming for winter. Simple to make from vegetable or chicken stock. Then put in vegetables and lentils of your choice. Ensure that you have onions or leeks so that it adds to the flavour. I blend the soup for a thick soup but you can leave it as it is. You can add in pasta like noodles or tiny shells as well. There are so many soups to be made and I like home made soups as you know what goes into them.

MEOWEE Manage to keep out of mischief yesterday on Friday the 13th no accidents thank goodness. Do not know where this superstition of Friday the 13th comes from but I bet it has interesting origins.

BEVERLYJOY I hope your OK and managed to survive your first week back at teaching in your wheelchair. I know it must be hard getting use to peoples reactions of seeing you as a wheelchair user.

ROSEBUD I don't blame you wrapping up warm. Like I always think you can always take it off if you are too warm. There is nothing worse than getting really cold. It takes ages again then to warm up again properly. My nickname is "Eskimo Nell" this is because I feel the cold especially now I have lost the weight and no longer have 126lbs insulating me. I look like at times I am going to rob a bank with my scarf wrapped around my face to protect the trigeminial nerve. Then a hat pulled down to keep my ears warm. I look a right sight no doubt but at least I am warm :D

Yes the world is built for tall people when you look in supermarkets produces are put on shelves that are too high, Or if you go to café some of the chiller cabinets holding food with shelves again way too high. I know they must be as I struggle to get them and I am not exactly short at 5ft 8". I know people have got taller over the years but surely there is a happy medium that suits both heights.

Time to go and check on my dinner of Lancashire Hotpot. Nothing weird and wonderful just diced lamb with onions, potatoes and any other root vegetable that you might have. I have put in carrots, parsnip, butternut squash, onions, chickpeas and then salt and pepper to season. All you do is pour water onto these ingredient in a casserole dish. Then cook slowly like you do a casserole. (optional you can put rosemary in as seasoning as well.) Last 15 minutes of cooking drain some of the water off to make a gravy with if you do not have any. There is Lancashire Hotpot dead simple to make and it is very tasty. Will be having raspberries and yoghurt for dessert. Bye now and take care

meowee
02-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Happy Valentines Day to you and yours . . . :val1:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-14-2009, 09:51 PM
:val1:HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:val1:

HI LADIES ~ we had another lovely Sunny day, but it was cold and windy. I went out for a walk but couldn't go past our laneway as everything around here was solid ice; so I just walked up & down the laneway for about 15 minutes. I also took a few pics while I was out there; tried to get a chickadee who came to our tree and was singing gratefully, but I had to come in as the northern winds were just awful and my face was freezing (I didn't dress up warm enough as that sun is so misleading).

HI VAL ~ glad you are having a long weekend; yes, we know about RIEL and I studied him in our Canadian History in school and since then as well. I think DH & I saw a movie or documentary about him once too.

HI PURPLE ~ that lamb casserole hotpot sounds yummy; they had lamb on sale last week (about $8.00/lb or so), but this week they have nice Round Beef and lean center Pork on for about $2.00/lb so I think I'll pick some of that up; I think that dish would taste good with them too.

I had a nice, long talk with NUMPSTER today; she hasn't on been the net for awhile, as she was having some health issues and works very long hours. Their daughter is staying with them until the wedding in April and there is always lots of things that come up with four kids and both working full-time jobs.

THANKS, MEOWEE ~ Hope you had a nice VALENTINE'S DAY too!

HI TO RONNI and BEVERLYJOY ~ have a great weekend.

Well, we ended up doing a lot more today than we thought as our poor NIKO had the fox trots today and had a wee accident, so I had to wash all the floors and DH cleaned our bedroom rug this evening. Have the throw rugs all washed and hanging on our indoor rack to dry, and it's all fixed up now.

It's time to go put my legs up as we have been going all evening and my feet are starting to throb; take good care and have great weekend ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Good Afternoon Ladies

It has been a miserable grey day here and looks set in for the day. Finally caught up with my chores and back on schedule today. Did the ironing this morning which was piling up at a rate of knots due to me washing and not ironing. I thought if I do not tackle it soon it will be too much for me to do at once and secondly I will not have any clothes to wear :fr:. I have kept my wardrobe to a minimum with losing weight so as to keep the cost down. I may expand my wardrobe a little as it seems that I had stuck for a while or maybe this is where I am destined to be. Can't exercise like I could with the weather being so cold and I have to protect my face. So our daily walks together have been knocked on the head. So it is only the vibration machine when I feel up to it. Hopefully with the warmer weather round the corner maybe the plateau might be broken :crossed:

Started writing a letter to DH Auntie last night who live in Cyprus. DH is no letter writer so I do this. I will add to the letter in a few days time so there will be more news to add to it.

This morning whilst ironing I watched the story of Torvil and Dean UK most famous ice dance partnership. It was 25 years (on the 14th of February 2009) that they got their legendary 12 perfect scores of 6.0 dancing to Bolero. I now live in the city that they learnt to skate in and not only that they worked here also. So it was nice to see them visiting all the sites that I knew and had been to myself.

Watched last night an old television series called Auf Wiedersehen, Pet from the 1980's gosh it brought back memories for me in was not long after this started I began I nursing career. I got two budgies for company and named them after two of the characters in this series. It is about a group of British workmen who go over to work in Germany in the building trade. There are moments of humour and part drama. It was a right trip down memory lane and I loved it :D

MEOWEE , RONNI, NUMPSTER, BEVERLYJOY & VALDINE :wave: have a lovely weekend and take the opportunity to have some rest.

ROSEBUD I have never made the hotpot with any other sort of meat other than lamb though I suspect it would work. I had made enough hotpot for another meal today so that is what we have had today which I just reheated in the microwave. So no slaving in the kitchen for hours today ;) just over the ironing board :D

Sorry to hear that your sister NUMPSTER is not so well at the minute. I imagine everything she has on her plate at the minute is very difficult. Working long hours is one thing but then helping with your daughters wedding is stressful as well. I know how hard my sister works also with having four children to care for that in itself is a full time job. I do not know how she did it when the girls where really young as there is not much of an age gap between them.

Talking of sisters my sister is still suffering with her back and gave me a little light reading :fr: whilst I visited her on Friday to look over. There is a pages of documentation of all the visits to hospitals, chiropractors and lost of earnings due to an injury in here back. At the minute she is waiting on a discogram where they look at the discs in her back and it looks likely that they will require a metal rod etc. The documentation alone would fill a book. Really she wanted me to translate some of the medical terminology. I could oblige with some words from my limited knowledge of physical illnesses but as you know my expertise is mental health.

The lawyers against my sister where even trying to blame it on an operation she had when she was 15 on her bladder and kidneys. Rather than their client who was drunk driving. He was prosecuted by the police and was banned from driving for a year for being over the legal limit for alcohol and driving. Here in the UK the punishment does not fit the crime for drunk driving. You can kill some one and you will only get a short prison sentence. Though if the person is good in prison their prison sentence will be reduced for good behaviour. Time to get of my :soap: soapbox on this subject :o. I have always felt pasionate that the punishment should fit the crime. In this case it does not fit the crime it is like a tap on the wrist.

In a few weeks time I will be going to Sunday lunch with my sister so that should be fun and I am looking forward to it. The next two weekends I think I have been invited out for a meal so i am looking forward to both and the company. It is a while since we have done this with friends and family. The friends we are going to they cook healthy so that is a big bonus. Even more so I think since they have been selected to take part in a trial for the nations health of different people of different ages all around the country. I think they had a bit of a shock that their BMI is higher than they though. All the blood work etc is great so generally they are health. Though I think for my friend it might be a kick up the backside to stay on the straight and narrow. They are really good during the week but at the weekend when going on caravaning club they are very naughty undoing all their good work of the week.

Time to go now and put up my feet so take care till next time

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we had beautiful sunshine here today but the temps were a bit colder @ -20C and with the northern winds, really about -30C. I just stayed in and tried to keep warm but Dh moseyed down the Winter Carnival this week and did get to see a few events before the cold got to him.

HI PURPLE ~ I just remembered that you asked me what TURKEY PEPPERETTES are? They are thin little semi-dried sausages that can be eaten as they are or sliced up for pizzas or omelettes; most people eat them for a snack. There a few different kinds: some are hotter than others; I prefer the regular, and turkey ones (which are only 50 calories each, so a for a 100 calorie snack, you can have two). When I was younger, we used to grab these for a quick snack or meal when we were running late; I decided to go back to that instead of other junk, and that's when I discovered that they now make the lower fat turkey version.

Yes, I remember watching that Torvil & Dean dance; I was much younger but indeed, I do remember them for sure. Good idea to watch this while doing your ironing: that will surely make it go by much faster. I know what you mean about the cold on the face; I just don't like it either.

I'm sorry to hear about how much your sister is suffering and still no solution from the insurance company; shame that takes so long. We have different rules here now; there is some type of scale they go by, I think. Plus our government has tightened up the laws for drunk drivers; if you are caught drinking and driving three times, you lose your driving privileges for life.

HI to MEOWEE, VAL, NUMPSTER, RONNI, and BEVERLYJOY ~ hope you ladies all had a great weekend!

We had a fireside pie for dinner tonight; tomorrow we are having roasted whole chicken with a variety of veggies. Today, I am just resting my legs and feet; time to put them up again and maybe do a few puzzles. Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello and a late Happy Valentine's Day to you all! We had a resting kind of weekend, but don't feel much better yet. DS3 has developed a fever and cough, so we'll be off to the doc later today. Just can't seem to shake off this virus and I think he's got another ear infection:( Trying to think of something easy for dinner since it'll have to be quick or something that can sit on the stove while we're at the doc. Maybe chili....

Val-hope that knee feels better and that you had a nice time at the wedding. I've had knee issues off and on since trying to ice skate in high school. Never did have good balance-should have known better than to try to get on ice with tiny narrow blades on my feet:dizzy:! You'll have to share about your roots sometime (or maybe you have somewhere else already)-it sounds fascinating. One of my great, great grandmothers was Native American, but no one kept family histories in that part of the family, so I don't know anything about her life.

Rosebud-sure hope NIKO is feeling better. Poor thing-dogs always feel guilty about causing messes, but they can't tell us ahead of time when they're feeling sick.

Purple-I'm sorry about your sister's issues. It makes me so mad when people and insurance companies won't make right on an injury. We're going through a similar thing and have had to file a lawsuit against the driver who ran a stop and hit us 3 years ago. DS3 has back and leg pain and is in physical therapy and I have had whiplash headaches for most of the 3 years since the incident (I refuse to call it an accident, because the other driver was negligent and was cited at the time.). What is the most upsetting is that our DS3 is only 12 and wants to play football and run, but has been restricted from almost all sports due to the injury and pain. He feels so left out and it just brings tears to my eyes thinking about how this could have been avoided if the other driver had just stopped and looked. And, it makes me very angry that the insurance company doesn't think he deserves some kind of compensation for affecting his life this way. Over here, each state has different ways of dealing with drunk drivers and any type of traffic deaths. When a tractor-trailer hit and killed my grandparents in Indiana 16 years ago (he failed to slow down for a 4-way stop and their car was in front of him), the law said he could not be held liable for a "work-related death" and was given no punishment at all. His company paid for the funeral after we had to take them to court, but didn't even have to reimburse the estate for the car. We were shocked that the driver didn't even get a fine and continued his job as a professional driver. So, I get really irritated by bad drivers, insurance companies, and laws that don't help protect the victims. We could share a:soap:on this issue! Hope you got all that ironing done-my pile is growing as I write!

Hi to Meowee, Beverlyjoy, and Numpster, too! Hope you've all had a great weekend and are looking forward to a good week!

meowee
02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
HI LADIES ~ we had another sunny day today; boy, have we been blessed lately and the temps were a bit milder too. I spent some time doing my books (bills and such) and our income tax (so glad to get that out of the way) today.

DH went up town to mail them and pick up a couple of things but the only thing open was the post office and one restaurant; everything else was closed. They told him that it was a civic holiday, but nobody seemed to know what for, and it's not marked on our Canadian Calendar either ... tres weird!!!

Anyways, just did stuff around the house today; we had a lovely big roasted chicken with lots of roasted veggies and it was so yummy ... you could smell it all over the house. I also did some letter writing myself today and a couple of puzzles this afternoon while resting my legs a bit.

:wave: HI MEOWEE ~ how's the weather down that way? We're pretty mild today, for February.

VAL ~ we sure hope that your knee is feeling better; don't overdo it on the elliptical there, slow and steady is better. Did you have fun at the friend's wedding?

HI RONNI ~ sorry to hear that sad story about your grandparents; your family sure has had more than it's share of troubles from car accidents. We have some kind of NO-FAULT insurance here where certain things must be paid for by scale, but I'm not really sure how it all works in those kinds of situations.

Will send up some prayers for that nasty flu in your house. These ladies here once told me to open up the windows to let in the fresh air!It may work ... Hope your DS3 is feeling better soon; there are many flus going around these days, and they are what is called 'hangoners', meaning they stay around much longer than we want them to.

NIKO was acting a bit odd, in that he kept running back and forth from the door to DH who was in the bedroom; but DH was so engrossed in a movie, he didn't notice it. I had asked DH what was wrong with him, but he didn't repond and well, you know the rest of the story ... :lol:

OH well, I had wanted to clean that carpet anyways, and the floors have to be done so, it worked out in the end, but we don't usually do it all in one evening; we usually spread it out over a few days. ;)

HI to PURPLE, and NUMPSTER, and BEVERLYJOY!!!

Well, not much else to report here; hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY! Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi to you all! Not much to say today. DS3 has developed bronchitis and ear infection, so he's on meds for 10 days. We're expecting more snow:p tomorrow, but I guess it'll cover up the dirty stuff we still have! DH came home from work irritable yesterday, so that pretty much set the tone for the evening and I made a couple poor choices in my eating and ended up over 2000 cals for the day (bad, bad, bad:eek:), but back OP today. Really, really want to be under 190 by Easter! I'm needing new clothes, but hate to buy now when I could be smaller in a few weeks;)

Hope you wonderful ladies have a great day!

meowee
02-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Gee, Winter is really getting me down this year. Actually it's sunny today but instead of feeling good about that all I seem to do is think about the next blizzard that's forecast for Thursday. :mad:

Oh phooey . . . plus a good rousing Bah Humbug as well. :s:

ronni62
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Gee, Winter is really getting me down this year. Actually it's sunny today but instead of feeling good about that all I seem to do is think about the next blizzard that's forecast for Thursday. :mad:

Oh phooey . . . plus a good rousing Bah Humbug as well. :s:

:hug: I feel your pain, Meowee! I've spent my free time the last few days looking through old magazines finding ideas for gardens and fixing up the house just in case spring actually gets here! Surely it will-maybe around June? :lol:

Here's a little spring for you!
:sunny::flow1::flow1::flow1::snail::flow1::beach:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ well, no sunshine today: we had nice big fat snowflakes instead, but the temps were really mild hovering around the 0c mark most of the day. We kept busy indoors today sorting out more boxes of kitchen stuff we found hiding out of sight. We managed to go thru 3 boxes, and one large one is on its way to the Goodwill tomorrow. I'm just keeping the stuff given to me by family and friends that have passed (like my Mom and my Grammies, etc) mostly.

We also set up the backup PC for DH on a desk in the spare room so he can play some games, as this winter is drawing out for him (and some other folks here too, I see :lol:). We got quite a bit accomplished today, but my feet always feel that so I had to put them up while dinner was on and after dinner as well.

We just had leftover chicken and veggies (just baked them in a casserole dish); and I baked a rice/risotto type of dish in a casserole at the same time to let the oven do all the cooking. I'm getting quite a good list of baked dishes as at my age, I am tired of slaving over a hot stove.

PURPLE (and anyone else who likes lamb) ~ Here's a Curried Lamb dish you might like to try that was in our local paper this week ...

* CURRIED LAMB *

500 ml or 2 cups lamb, cut in chunks
25 ml or 2 tbl oil for browning (I use olive)
15 ml or 1 tbl curry powder
5 ml or 1 tsp minced ginger
1 onion, chopped
1 tart green apple, peeled and minced
250 ml or 1 cup chicken broth or what you have on hand
25 ml or 2 tbl Tomato PASTE
25 ml or 2 tbl light cream
salt, pepper, and minced parsley for seasoning

Heat oil and saute onion with the curry powder; then add the lamb and brown for a few minutes; stir in broth with everything except cream and parsley. Cover and simmer for 1 hour; add cream and heat through just before serving. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice. You may also add some diced or thinly sliced carrots to this dish as well and cook with the lamb; and I bet green beans would be nice too.

RONNI ~ forget about those slip-ups; we all have those days. The key is to start over each day and things will work out in the long-haul. I am the same as you: if my DH gets in a snit (which thankfully isn't that often), I tend to take it too personally. I am learning through practice to turn my attention somewhere else than food: like coming on here, for instance.

HIYA MEOWEE ~ you're not the only one that is sick of all this snow! The Snow Fairies were out today with their giant snowblower and trucks hauling the white stuff from the roadsides away to the snowdumps. If they don't do this, and it's start melting again, we get road floods! I took some pics of the snow in our front yard; pretty soon we won't be able to see the place across the road! :lol:

HI to VAL, and NUMPSTER, and BEVERLYJOY ... hope you ladies have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!!

Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Ladies

Good morning woke up to rain this morning so it looks like I need to take my umbrella :rain: when I go shopping today to do the grocery shopping. I have been missing in action the past few days as any spare time I am trying to knit a scarf for myself. I have got lots of wool from knitting projects from donkeys years ago so using it up. I am making a double thickness scarf to protect my face for the winter so there are quite a few stitches involved for making a scarf. I am making it in 3 colours light pink, purple and black stripes. No fancy stitches involved only Stockinette stitch (in the UK, Stocking Stitch) (this is created by knitting every stitch) as I though I would keep it as simple as possible for this project.

Going to do my weekly grocery shopping today but before then I am meeting my BIL for lunch looking forward to that meeting with my BIL to catch up. Last week he was an examiner in advanced packing of parachutes. He is quite high up in the parachuting world so it an examiner and also part of investigation teams when there are fatalities from this sport. He also takes people to do tandem jump not that I am jumping out of any plane anytime soon ;) I am not that brave to do something like that but my BIL it is a big part of his life.

Thanks for the recipe Rosebud for lamb curry. I am going to be adventurous this weekend and have my first curry in months. So fingers :crossed: that I am OK with my tummy. I am really looking forward to the curry but I am a little fearful that it will set my tummy off if it is not properly healed. Though I need to tested some time. It has been so long since I have had anything spicy. I love spicier type food so if my tummy is better it will open a whole new world up to me that has been closed to me for so long.

Time to run as I am just about to go out once I am completely ready ;) I need to do my hair and do my makeup then good to go. So till next time bye bye

Beverlyjoy
02-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi chicks! I've been MIA - I pulled a muscle in my back and it hurts to sit at the computer. I stopped my to say hi and let you know that I've been thinking of you.

Man my pieces and parts are aching. Ice and heat helps. I have a hard time not overeating when I feel pain. I will use ice and heat to help.

I need to work tomorrow and Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
HI LADIES ~ we woke up to snow this morning, but the weather forcast said it was mild, so we decided to go shopping. Yikes, was it yucky out there; wet snow with cold northern winds, but once we were out there we decided to get it done. I managed to get some walking in from the day anyways, and picked up some good deals. I found some frozen dinners for only .99c and they are about 200-300 calories each: good for a quick lunch so I don't have to have sandwiches so often. Sometimes, if I have leftovers, I'll put a bowl of that away for the next day as well.

HI PURPLE ~ we've had a couple of busy days too. Did you get to your treatment on Tuesday? Hope the shopping went well today. Hope the LAMB CURRY turns out OK; maybe you could put a bit less of the curry powder, say only 1 tsp instead of 1 tbl; or 5ml instead of 15 ml, so it won't be too spicey.

HI BEVERLEYJOY ~ nice to see you drop by; hope your back and whole body is feeling better soon. I know what you mean about that; esp all this cold weather. I find the dampness hard on my muscles too; and the winds seem to go right thru ya ... ;)

MEOWEE ~ talking about storms; it's been snowing all day and they are predicting much of the same for the entire week. I can hear the winds howling through our furnace chimney as I'm typing right now ... so eerie!

HI TO VAL, and RONNI, and NUMPSTER ... hope you all have a TRANQUIL THURSDAY!!!

Did some laundry this afternoon and put away some more stuff; now I'm sore and tired. Time to rest up with my evening tea. Take good care, your friend :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

valpal23
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
my first day back at work on Tuesday i locked myself out of my office. had to climb in a window to get back in AND dropped by $700 blackberry phone in the toilet!!!!

the wedding was great Rosebud! - best valentines day ever.. being at a wedding was suprisingly refreshing on commercial love day and didnt make me feel bad about being single whatsoever. truely. it turned into a fun girls night.

anywhoo. my phone works again! i took it apart and dried it on a heater vent over night AND IT WORKS!!!!!

gotta run! take care all,

Beverlyjoy
02-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Happy Monday - yesterday I had a sane day with food. I am so grateful. I have two programs today. The school will bring in my things. I don't have help with the wheelchair - but, it isn't a huge walk. I am pretty nervous about it. I hope my foot holds up.

I need to get out of the door. I will try and catch up with everyone asap!

Have a great healthy, pain free, happy and smiling MONDAY

ronni62
02-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi, everyone!

Val-so sorry about your issues Tuesday! But, have to say it made me laugh, as it sounds just like something that would happen to me. Can't say I've ever dropped a phone in a toilet, but I have frequently had to blow dry remotes and calculators because I can't be trusted with a glass of water anywhere:dizzy: And, I have had to send our oldest son through a window when I locked us out of the house many years ago:lol: Oh, my gosh, I'll have to ask him if he remembers that! Hope today goes better:)

Beverlyjoy-are you trying to confuse me? I really don't need another Monday this week-I'm looking forward to the end of the week happening real soon-earlier for us as there's no school tomorrow:carrot: Hope your day and programs go well!

Rosebud-snow, ice, and wind here too. Ick! Maybe you can take it a little easier today and rest up a bit. I also feel more pain when I have a busy day, especially if we have to go to town for groceries.

Hi to Purple, Meowee, and Numpster:wave: Hope you all have a great day! We're taking it easy today. DS3 still sick with bronchitis, so I'm even going to cancel his PT session for today. Just don't think he needs to go out in this cold and wind. So maybe I'll be able to catch up on folding clothes and vacuuming:p Talk to you later!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
HI LADIES ~ well, it's still snowing out there; we gotta good dump last night and it continues. Our landlord says he's going broke with all the snow removal costs, but I'm sure he can claim it against his rental income very soon. Still, we have had way more than normal for sure!

HIYA VAL ~ TGIF ... that's too funny; but we're so glad that your phone still works for ya -- that would have been terrible to lose such an expensive phone. That must have been a sight: you crawling thru that window (hope it was a low one). ;)

HI RONNI ~ I am definitely taking the day off; after all that walking, I did some laundry yesterday and I think walking in all that slippery snow, I strained my left knee a bit.

HI BEVERLYJOY ~ dear, I sure hope that you went to the right school today, as you thought it was Monday and it is really THURSDAY! :lol: Regardless, our prayers are with you too, for a good day anyways ...

HI TO PURPLE, and NUMPSTER, and MEOWEE ~ hope you all had a good day!

We are having a fun oven baked fish dinner tonight, as my leg needs resting; and it will be ready very soon. Not much else going on here. Will take it easy tonight, we aren't going anywhere in this weather anyhow. Thank goodness for puzzles, books, games, videos, dvds, and our PC's to help us while away the nights for the next two months.

HAVE A FABULOUS FRIDAY EVERYONE! It's time for dinner ...:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
:grouphug:

Wow I have missed a lot again . . . sorry I was missing but I've had a very busy couple of days. A very big funeral; a couple of lunches out; a dinner and overnight stay with friends; another snowstorm (of course); and a blinding headache to add to the fun.

Hopefully my life is now back to it's usual level of non-excitement. :lol:

purpleorc
02-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Ladies

Sorry I have been missing in action for the past few days but I have PC troubles. So I have come over to my BIL factory and he has allowed me to borrow one of the office PC during lunch break of the staff. So this has to be a flying visit I am afraid. I just wanted to take the opportunity to say why I am missing and will be missing until I get the issue sorted out.

For a few days prior to my PC going "really poorly" odd things were happening that could not be explained but then it went and kicked me off the INTERNET and it will not let me reconnect. I think to fully resolve the issue I will have to reformat my PC. It has been a long while since I have had to reformat it and I am not looking forward to doing it. It is not the wiping clean that takes the time but the putting back on of the programmes and games etc that take time. I really hope that reformatting will fix the issue and that I will be on again shortly. The sooner the better . So till next time take care all

purpleorc :wave:

ronni62
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Hello!

Meowee-so sorry about the funeral and other issues. I also prefer having a low-key life rather than always wondering what's going to happen next. Hope you now get some time to relax and recharge a bit:hug:

Rosebud-your fish sounds wonderful. We haven't had fish in a long time, except for a tuna salad. DH can't eat fish in the evening for some reason. If he does, he has reflux all night, even though he already takes nexium for that. Don't know what it is about fish that makes it worse. Sad, cause we really like baked or grilled fish. (of course, he also really, really loves deep-fried fish, too, but I won't make it for him:nono::lol:)

Not much going on here. DS2 ended up with the bug yesterday also. Fortunately, I realized he had a high fever before he left for his class. He spent the day on the couch, but both DSs feel much better today:) And, it's a no school day, so I'm sure they'll be back to aggravating each other shortly! We might even make a run to town, as we've run out of a few things, like kleenex:lol: Sometimes, we go to Walmart or Target just to grab a cart and walk laps around inside the store for a half hour or so to try to get some exercise in. I really, really can't wait until it's walkable weather here!

Hi :wave: Purple, Numpster, Beverlyjoy, Val, too! Hope you all have a really nice weekend!

Oh, Purple, you were posting while I was! Sure hope you get the computer issues fixed. We miss you!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
HI FOLKS ~ We've been having a mix of snow and sun; can't make up it's mind, but not nice weather to go out in really. We went shopping on Wednesday and it was cold and yucky.

HI RONNI ~ glad to hear the kiddies are starting to feel better. We like to do the same: go out mall-walking (or store-walking) just to get fresh air and some exercise. I know dozens of people who do that now. Yes, we bake our fish to make it less calories too. I have trouble if I eat certain foods; last night, I ate some granola for a snack. Big mistake: I felt like upchucking all night. I have to stick to protein and fruit in the future, as that's the only thing that doesn't bother me.

HI PURPLE ~ sorry that you are having PC problems again. As you know, that happened to me several times, and there was always a reason for it: one time it was becuz our MODEM was fizzled by an electrical storm, so we had to put a new one in; and more often, our wires connecting to the wall jack were knocked loose by playing with the girls or moving the phone around. Only a couple of times, the ISP (internet service provider) was down and so no-one could get on for about a day. It seems that if it's not one thing, then it's another, eh?

Sometimes, I have to reboot (or turn the PC off and on again) to let it power up again, as the internet can takes lots of room storing memory files; so, every now and then, I have to run a 'Disk Clean-up' program and a 'Disk Defragmenter' program, as well as clear all 'cookies'. This gives me more room to use again for awhile as I have an older machine with limited RAM and disk memory. We hope to get a newer one with mega memory so I can watch TV and videos on the net, although I may have to upgrade to HIGH-SPEED internet for that.

HI MEOWEE ~ you've had a busy few days all right; sorry for your friend that passed. Yah, we have been having snow storms here too; not nice at all, but we're just staying in and hybernating instead! :(:)

HI to VAL, and BEVERLYJOY, and NUMPSTER ...

Well, it's time to go start dinner; and take a break. Have a great weekend ladies. :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Pretty nice day today. Sunny and relatively mild (just below the freezing mark). Unfortunately it was windy; guess you can't have everything. Next snowstorm (number 11 of any consequence for this year so far) is not due until Monday.

Nothing very exciting going on for me this weekend anyway -- need to get some knitting done. Promised new slippers to a friend and I'll knit them both at the same time to avoid my usual problem of never getting the second one done. :lol:

Actually, I ordered a new book from Amazon that is about knitting two socks 'in the round' at the same time. Cannot imagine how that works, but it could be a godsend to people like me who always seem to get only one sock, or one mitten done -- don't know why everybody thinks their socks should match anyway. :crazy:

Have a good evening, gang . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we had lovely sunshine all day; what a blessing for February. It's supposed to snow again tomorrow, but be sunny again on Monday.

MEOWEE ~ I so admire you that you can knit socks; that takes talent and skill. My mother was a fantastic knitter but she learned when she was young. I tried to teach myself but just could never get the hang of it; so I switched to crochet and found that much easier to master. Unfortunately, socks are better when they are knit. I still have some of my mom's handmade socks and cherish them: she knit them in soft wool with wide cuffs so they are so easy to put on and so comfy. The funny thing is that her Dad was a sock inventor: a brilliant man who started a sock business which was his career for life. He designed a sock called 'The Happy Foot Sock' ~ don't know if you heard of it, but it is a Canadian Invention. Once upon a time, you could buy them through Stedman's but I'm not sure who sells them now; we still have at least one pair in DH's drawer yet.

I just stayed home and lazed around today; doing daily chores and such. Spent the afternoon on the net doing research. DH went to the arena and watched the little tikes (a friend's kiddies) play hockey today; he said it was hilarious to watch them. He said the girls whomped the boys today as well.

HI to PURPLE, and RONNI, and VAL, and BEVERLYJOY, and NUMPSTER ~ hope you all had a lovely Saturday ...

Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh wow . . . I can just see the Happy Foot logo in my mind, Rosebud. They were/are great socks although I must admit I haven't seen them around lately but, in all honesty, I haven't been looking for them either -- now I will.

Picked up some nice inexpensive yarn in my travels today and I'm trying to put it aside until my new book arrives; but it is calling my name right now. :lol: I like doing socks in the round (on 4 or 5 needles) and I actually do a heel variation that is like commercial socks rather than the kind that are usually seen on hand made ones. I have knit flat socks too which are okay for wearing around the house and stuff, but not great under your shoes or boots because of the seams. Funny, but the older I get the heavier my socks have become.

We've had a lovely day around here but now the TV is covered in those awful red storm warnings -- rain, followed by freezing rain, followed by snow -- moving in tonight and continuing through tomorrow and maybe even into Tuesday.

Oh my, I will be so glad to see the backside of this winter. :yes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ seems lots of you are very busy this weekend; we actually had some sun late this afternoon and didn't get the flurries they predicted, and we are grateful for that. The temps got all the way up to -5c which is much, much warmer than was predicted. Hope we get the sunshine for tomorrow as we want to pick up a pantry that is on special this week.

HI MEOWEE ~ well, I know the company still exists (my grandfather is long deceased) but his brother's sons or grandsons were running it the last I heard. The 'HAPPY FOOT SOCK' has a Scottish tartan insignia on the label so that's how you would recognize it. They were from Europe, but he always said the family was from Scotland.

PURPLE ~ hope you get your PC repaired; and up and running very soon. Miss hearing your cheery posts here each day. How's your DH feeling: did they get his teeth problems all fixed up for him?

HI RONNI ~ hope you and your DH and those kiddies are starting to feel better. Did you talk your DH into that headboard for your bed?

HI BEVERLYJOY ~ how did your week go? Did you get in all your classes alright? Hope you are feeling well.

HI to VAL, and NUMPSTER ~ hope both you ladies are having a nice and restful weekend.

We had baked, boneless & skinless chicken breasts with mixed roasted veggies and new potatoes; and a bit of VANILLA BEAN icecream with strawberries on top for dessert. We splurge and have this about once a month; it's a nice treat, but we only have a fruit-nappy size dish to keep the amount down.

DH says that the winds are getting quite fierce outside right now and the temps are dropping. Gonna go put my feet up soon and do a puzzle and read a bit too, I think. Hope you all have a lovely Sunday evening; and take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi, everyone! Not much going on here today. DS2 off to school and everyone's feeling much better. This will be a nice quiet day, because DS2 takes his homeschool work to the library to do in between his chemistry class and lab (he has both every other day). Makes for a nice break, since I only have to work with one kid;). I even went down to the dungeon, er, basement, and walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes until my legs were numb and tingling-hate that!-but realized how very out of shape I am:(

Rosebud-Yes, we did get a headboard, but not the one I looked at before. We got concerned because it had curls of tubing with slightly sharp edges and we both end up with our arms against the wall at night-afraid we'll get caught or cut-but, the one we got has a really pretty lattice design. Now, it's finally time to paint the room and our old dressers to pretty it up:D We've always had quite a mish-mash of furniture (I guess I could call it eclectic and say I did it on purpose:lol:) Sounds like your DH enjoyed the kids' hockey-I bet it really was funny at times! That's cool about your family's sock inventor-the older I get the more I enjoy learning about family histories.

Meowee-my mil knits and crochets. She makes lots of afghans and bedspreads with very intricate designs. Sells quite a few, but what she sells the most of is pot holders! People really like her double thick potholders and they are really pretty. I don't have talent with knitting or crocheting, but used to cross-stitch until the boys came along and then had to keep the needles out of reach:fr:, so kind of let it go. Might try it again one of these days.

Hi to Purple, Beverlyjoy, Val, and Numpster! Hope you are all having a great day!

meowee
02-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I spent most of my day knitting while I watched the lastest ugly storm. My little section of Nova Scotia was straddling the imaginary rain/snow line and the precipitation kept switching back and forth between the two all day. The only thing consistent was the howling wind. Actually I think there is slightly less snow on the ground now than there was yesterday so I guess the rain side is winning out so far; but who knows what tomorrow's daybreak will bring. :dizzy:

Yep . . . I do cross-stitch, too as well as my knitting and crocheting, and, of course, sewing . . . I've also done some tole painting in my time . . . my all-time favourite craft though is quilting. Guess I was just raised in that era when 'ladies' were expected to learn all theswe things. :shrug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we had lovely sunshine all day; boy, we've been so blessed to have all that sun and I love it! However, it was pretty cold and the winds were really strong and made it feel even colder. Couldn't believe all the brave little red-capped finches out in the fur tree bouncing back & forth to our feeders; those little fellas will brave storms even.

HI MEOWEE ~ when I was a child, I took about four 4-H clubs where I learned cross-stitch, sewing, tye-dye, and liquid embroidery; and made pretty things to go in my room. I wished I had learned quilting; some people have a knack how to keep the stitches so straight, mine end up all over the place. :lol:

HI RONNI ~ glad the kiddies are feeling better and back at school. That's sounds like fun to paint up your room and furniture; you have me thinking now -- what can I do to spiff up my bedroom too? Our dressers are nice, but they don't really match either. DH has a really nice wood grain though, but mine is darker; they are older dressers but are still in great shape. I'm thinking of making some new curtains and pillow cases though. Hmmmm .... :chin:

Well, they didn't have any of those pantries that were on sale in stock at the store today, so we had to order one, but we will still get the sale price anyways; but I'm not sure how long it will take to get here. It could be anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Once we get that, we should be able to put the rest of our stuff away and have the sorting done by the end of March like we hoped we would.

HI to PURPLE, and NUMPSTER, and VAL, and BEVERLYJOY ~ hope all you ladies are having a Marvellous Monday!!!

TAke good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Beverlyjoy
02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi chicks. Last Friday DH and 7 others were let go from his place of employment. He's been doing this for 32 years. I am feeling numb. But, DH is a positive person and we do have some severance pay at least. This is very scary.

I am moving along. Yesterday I started to have an anxiety attack - shortness of breath, hands tingling... so, I did some breathing in a paper bag. Actually, I felt better after that. DH filed online for unemployment insurance. We never ever thought that something like this would be in our life. But, we are grateful. He has some severance pay - but, they say to file right away. At least DH knows he wasn't let go for lack of talent or efforts - just downsizing because of the economy. So, I've bundled the cable, phone and internet to save, stop getting the paper and stopped pick up recycling and we'll take the rest as it comes. I believe the new stimulus package will help pay for us to cobra our health insurance - otherwise there would be no way we could pay $950 a month for coverage. We have committed that we will use the recumbent bike every day to help counteract stress. DH has never had a resume in his life. But, we'll get help to put one together - he's done the same thing for 32 years. So, we move forward. He will help me in and out of my jobs this week. One day at a time.

The good news is that our DS, DIL and Grandson are coming to celebrate our Grandson's birthday (2 years). on Thursday for a few days. We had already invited all the family over for a pizza party and will go ahead with that. This visit will really help me.

Justwanna - I love watching our birdies too. Gosh - I don't know if we'll keep feeding them until DH gets a new job. Oh dear.

meowee - glad you were inside during the storm. Spring will be here soon.

ronni62 - good job on the treadmill!! Glad the children are feeling better.

purple - I hope your PC is fixed soon. Isn't it amazing how much we depend on it from day to day!

rosebud - your fish sounds good - we have some in the freezer. Good reminder.

Have a great day, Chicks!

ronni62
02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Beverlyjoy-I'm so sorry about your DH's job:hug:You will be in my thoughts and prayers. It'll be nice to have your grandson and his b-day. Having the little ones around just makes everyone feel better and more energized (until nap time, of course;)). Are there any options for your DH to go back to school? I know each state is different, but a couple years ago in MN, the state was paying for people who'd been laid off and receiving unemployment to go to college. We had a couple friends who were able to get new degrees and new jobs.

Good morning to everyone else too! We've got some sun this morning for a change and the weather guy said it could get to 38F today! Don't know whether to believe him, but it sure sounds nice. Probably need to go to town for a few items and might try to get some walking in at Walmart-pretty empty during the day, so there's lots of room to move! Hope you all have a great day!

meowee
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Still snowing and blowing around here but not nearly as badly as yesterday. the sun has even peeked through a couple of times.

Made arrangements for a friend (and fellow Mod) from Ontario to come down for a little visit in mid-April. Wow . . . hope it stops snowing by then. :lol:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we woke up to much colder temps this morning and the winds made it seem like it was like -30c out there, but today the sun slowly came through and the temps came all the way up to -5c. We have been so blessed with sunshine this month and it has brought our heat bills way down; we matched our November bill in February which is quite good really.

BEVERLYJOY ~ :hug: so sorry to hear that about your DH and his co-workers; seems every company is jumping on the cutback bandwagon: it's like a ripple effect ... you're laying off -- well then, so will I -- kinda thing! It's a shame really! I'm so glad to hear that he has UI and a severance package though; good idea to scale back right away; good for you taking progressive steps so soon!

As for the birdies, just give them about a 1/2 - 1 cup a day, each morning until spring or until you run out, they'll be OK; a lady told me this trick, they'll just go to other feeders more often, that's all. We didn't even use half our bags this year; so we are gonna seal them up really well and store them in our metal cans for next year. We use this method all the time now and cut our costs down to way less than half; and DH bought me the seed for a Christmas gift too (as I asked him for this as one of my gifts).

Yes, I agree with RONNI ~ can your DH take a short college or training course where you live? I heard a career counsellor once say that if you find yourselves short on cash, take a short course from 3 months to 1 year, as most people can get the funding for that, but not longer; and when you are done, you have a degree or certificate to get a better job in a much shorter time frame.

We will definitely be keeping you in our prayers that your DH and all the others being laid off will find something soon; whether it be another job, training or schooling, and/or a new career. You have a great attitude; trust GOD, and you know that He will carry you through ...:hug:

HI RONNI ~ good idea to go walking around that W-Mart; we do that here in our local department stores and our one, very large grocery store. DH ran some small errands for me today and I just stayed home and baked some oatmeal & cinnamon muffins for his snacks; plus did a few small housechores. We will be doing our weekly shopping later in the week. Good tip that you shared with BEVERLYJOY.

HIYA MEOWEE ~ hope you have better weather soon; and you have a nice visit with your Ontario MOD friend.

I am thinking of getting PEDOMETER to track how many steps I take in the day as a challenge for myself. I see that someone is starting a step-walking challenge in the exercise thread. I want to see how many I do a day now and hopefully increase my steps as a way to increase my daily activities. So I'm looking of a Pedometer this week in town; but if I can't find one, I know where I can order one too.

Well, I forgot to take something out for dinner tonight; but it will be something light like chicken or fish as we had pork chops last night with rice and veggies. We have lots of quick things in the freezer too like bangers, chicken pieces, fish, and such and a couple of casseroles so we will find something for sure.

HI to PURPLE, and NUMPSTER, and VALDINE ~ hope you girls all had a TERRIFIC TUESDAY!!!

Well, that's all the news from here for now; take good care ladies, and we hope that you have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi, Ladies! Well, yesterday didn't work out like I planned. DS3 got sick from his antibiotic and was throwing up. Fortunately, we weren't out of the driveway yet and were able to get him in the house and DS2 went on his own. So, no walking, not even on the treadmill, as it now quit working-arrrrgggghhh:( Might just be an adjustment issue, but i have to find the instruction book, which is not always easy to do here:no: I'm learning to keep organized, but it's a slow process!

We've got ice on the roads this morning and more to come tomorrow, I guess, along with a couple inches of snow. Do you all think we could get a group rate on a trip to Arizona or Florida? It's Ash Wednesday-seems like it should be warming up a little, ya know! Surely, it'll stop by April for your friend to visit, Meowee:halffull:!

Sure hope you all have a nice day!:wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-25-2009, 08:12 PM
HI LADIES ~ we've got lots of ***** out there today; mild temps though, but the winds are still blowing. We had lots of birdies here today: over four dozen (at one count) red-capped finches at our feeders, and there were some hiding in the trees too. Love watching them and their funny antics ...

We have been doing stuff around home today. DH got his trailer out today to get ready for going to our lot as soon as the roads are clear. :lol: I think he's a bit early, but he says he doesn't want it to get stuck in a flood of water or mud in the backyard come spring: he's got a point there. ;)

RONNI ~ that trip to Florida sounds inviting, but with blood pressure problems and blood clot problems, planes are out for me, I'm afraid. I'd have to drive or take a very, very long train ride. Well, we can always dream, can't we? :D

Sorry to hear your DS3 is so sick yet; yah, antibiotics are hard on the stomach (been there). Hope he is feeling better real soon. Hope you figure out your treadmill problem ... mine is confined to the shed right now. I've decided to keep it though, and maybe some day I'll be able to walk well enough to use it. :dunno:

Right now, I walk at a snails pace and with a cane, to boot! They all make it look so easy when walking on those treadmills; it's harder than it looks. I have to master the ground first! I'm gonna try counting steps, for now. :lol:

HI to MEOWEE, and PURPLE, and BEVERLYJOY, and VAL, and NUMPSTER ~ hope all you ladies have a THUNDEROUS THURSDAY!!! HeHe ...;)

We had spagetti & meataballs for dinner tonight; yummy! Time to go have my tea now and put my tired, sore legs up for awhile; so, take good care ladies, and have a great evening ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

ronni62
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Good Morning! Things went much better yesterday. Ds3 feeling better-new antibiotic seems to be working better and no vomiting-thank goodness. My poor kids have learned that it's better to not let me see them be sick, as I always just end up joining them and that makes everyone feel worse:( I'm such a wimp! DH and I even had an agreement when they were babies that I did all the diapers and he'd do all the upset stomaches, as he can't handle those stinky diapers and I can't handle the other stuff:lol:It worked out well!

Rosebud-I don't fly either-we drive everywhere-that's why it always takes us 3 days to get to Idaho:lol: I'm also finding the treadmill difficult (of course, only when it's working-it's really easy to use when it's not running:rofl:) Walking on the treadmill makes my back and hips ache later, but walking in a store or outside doesn't:?: Soon, it'll be warm enough to be outside and I won't worry about it until next winter.

Hope you are all having a great day! Hi Val, Numpster, Meowee, Purple, and Beverlyjoy!:hug: for you all!

meowee
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Yesterday was definitely NOT an OP day . . . got force-fed two birthday meals -- definitely food porn time. :yikes: One more special lunch to go today and then, hopefully, I get my act back together. :yes:

Weather was great yesterday -- lots of sunshine and above freezing temperatures. One down note though . . . I treated myself to a car wash and because the roads were wet from the mild temperatures, the clean look lasted about 12 minutes. :shrug: Today there will be more of the same and it's supposed to get even warmer (+5C/41F). :yay:

Finally got that new book, I mentioned and after reading the instructions, and studying the detailed pictures, twice, I still have almost no idea how I'll ever be able to knit two socks at once on one long circular needle. Guess I'm going to have to get out some scrap yarn and give it a try. :dizzy:

Have a great day everybody . . . hope your weather is as nice as mine. :carrot:

purpleorc
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Ladies

Fingers crossed :crossed: I think I am back and my PC is sorted I say in a small voice hope not to be tempting fate :lol: I think I have put back on all the appropriate software and am ready to go needless to say I usually forget something and have to put it on at a later date. At least things are a made a little easier by the fact my PC hard drive is split and I have separate drives so I can save important documents and photographs etc. So that makes life a lot easier. Where ever possible I saved games so that when I reinstalled them I could pop the file in the folder and start playing the game at the point I was at. Not that I have any complex games or anything like it just ones for passing time.

Managed to finish my scarf I was knitting I think I went a bit over board so it is a long scarf :o It is striped with 3 colours of purple (naturally ;) ), light pink and black then finished off with tassel's on either end. DH now calls it the doctor who scarf :lol: for those old enough to remember the doctor who whom wore a long striped scarf. The scarf is lovely and warm just what the doctor ordered ;) Well at least it covers my face well and helps prevent trigeminial neuralgia attacks.

There is so many post to read and catch up on you have all been busy in my absent. So a big thank you for keeping the thread very active in my in planned absence. I sure did miss my daily visits to the thread and leaving a chatty post.

BEVERLYJOY Sorry to hear about your DH job I hope that your DH is able to find a new post soon. I know when we when I say we my DH and I had to adjust to a lower income due to myself giving up work it was hard initially. I am embarrassed to say that I wasted so much previously it is surprising how inventive you can be when the needs call. I can make meals go further by making a portion more for example and making a cottage pie for the next day. If your a good pastry cook you could make a plate pie for the next day's meal. I am not a good pastry cook the only thing my pastry is good for is the soles of your shoes :o You would think with my cold hands I would be an excellent pastry maker but it is one thing in the cooking department that eludes me. I know it is much harder to experience unemployment in your country compared to mine. Here we are fortunate to have free health care and automatically you are able to have unemployment benefit. (not that it pays a huge amount but it does give you are very basic standard of living).

I do hope you can still manage to feed your lovely birds in your garden as it brings you such pleasure and it helps them through the long winter months you experience.

RONNI Sorry to hear that you children have been made sick by the antibiotic. Antibiotics are good but they had some very unwanted side effects they kill off the good as well as the bad bacteria as it doesn't know the difference. Yes trying to keep organised is not always easy to do especially when you add children into the equation they can throw a spanner in the works and they can make you have to adjust your plans due to their needs. It is difficult to play this juggling game that parents have to play when having children. I hope they get well soon.

MEOWEE Like you I was brought up learning all those skills like knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidering and machine sewing (well as you know never mastered this skill am a disaster around a sewing machine.) Never learned to quilt much as this is not done much in the UK as it is in the USA and Canada. I have seen such wonderful quilt made with such intricate patterns. I know there must be hours upon hours of hard work gone into making these.

I had never heard of tole painting so I looked it up on the INTERNET to educate myself. From the description it reminded me of what people paint on the narrow boats on the canals. They paint patterns, flowers (mainly roses) and castles on the narrow boats and every day objects like wooden spoons etc.

ROSEBUD I have a pedometer and it is a good way of knowing how much you are moving each day. Every know and again I will put it on to check what sort of step range I am doing know. Not that I have ever managed the 10000 steps they recommend but I except that this never going to happen.

Never heard of liquid embroidery so again used the INTERNET to educate myself. It is interesting to hear of the different types of crafts used around the word. I saw for the first time the other day something called frame knitting which I had never seen before.

Well good signs of spring are upon us the snow drops and crocus are in bloom. The daffodils have popped up and stand about 6" tall so not many for weeks before we see them flower. The weather has been good enough to mow and strim the lawn (Weedwhacker I think I remember you calling it last year). So from now until October we will have to mow the lawn. Though when I say we I have my lawn mowed and strimmed by the council as I have MS plus DH has a bad shoulder. So now he just picks up the grass when he feels like it left on the lawn by the council. It is more dependant on how he is feeling with his injured shoulder some days are better that others but that it is nature of wear and tear.

Hello to VALDINE & NUMPSTER I hope your both well and are OK 2 more days and it is the weekend which I know is precious when you work.

No more news for now time to go and make a cuppa :coffee: and maybe have an afternoon nap to recharge those batteries. Bye for now and take care.

Beverlyjoy
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi chicks - I've had two jobs today. DH is helping me and we could use the door in the back - so I didn't have to use the wheelchair for distance walking. I am happy about that.

DH's job fair went well. There was anything that pertained to his skills. He got some ideas for doing his resume. He's very positive :) about it all. I am hanging in fairly well, considering I am a professional worrier. :dizzy: He's 57 - so I think he's going to try and find something in his field before looking into job training. But, he's not opposed to it either. They replaced him with a 32 year old who will get paid 1/3 of what he was making. Hmmm...age discrimination... (companies save anyway they can)

Today my family is coming from out of town.:D:D:D It's my grandson second birthday. A party has been planned for all of the family. It was planned long before the job thing...so we will carry on. It will be wonderful!!!!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and wishes. It means alot. :)

I've done my stretches, stregthening exercises, heat and ice. I'll ice and heat one when I get home.. I've done one meditation and will try to get another one in.

My goal is to eat mindfully and slowly and to make good choices. NO standing up and eating. Put the fork down between bites. Leave a small portion on the plate.

Purple orc - I am so glad your PC is up and running. It's hard when the darn thing is on the fritz. :( Your scarf sounds lovely. :)

meoww- enjoy that nice weather. :)

ronnie - hope everyone's up and feeling well soon. DH is a puke wimp too. :o He can't handle it.- he gags, too.

justwanna - thanks for the good advice on the birdies. :D It's seems like a good way to make it last. I love hearing about your birdies. Mostly at my feeders (right at the huge kitchen window) are: gold finches, house finches, cardinals, dove, sparrows, carolina chickadee, and juncos. Also....the red tail hawk that lives in the woods near by. Grrrr....I hate having to witness the food chain. It's usually the mourning doves he gets.

Hi to NUMPSTER, and VALDINE - and anyone else I missed or stops by.

I can hardly wait - family will be here soon!!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ Firstly, I just have to say that I was laughing my butt off at some of the comments you ladies made today. You're all a bunch of comediennes, and you just don't know it yet! :rofl:

We had a lovely day of sunshine even though there were some winds out there; it was so nice to have the sun again! Just did small housechores again today like dusting the floors and dusting, as we will likely go do a bit of shopping in the morning.

HI BEVERLYJOY ~ that's so nice that your DH was able to go with you and you did two programs today. I am also fortunate in that my DH helps me a lot too; it's a give and take thing as we each have our talents and skills to help each other with our limitations. Yes, I agree with your conclusions about your DH's company; we thought as much. It's becoming a little too handy these so-called recession lay-offs; I kept saying to my DH ... what recession; what recession? I don't see any recession here.

Oh sure, a few companies in specific areas are having temporary problems (albeit some are fixable if the banks would start giving loans again; and there was some protection from price gauging homeowners). Nothing that couldn't eventually turn around though, with the right measures in place. We have had dips here and there in a cyclical way before; it's always been that way and always will be; we have to ride them out and help each other out. Oops sorry, didn't mean to rant there! Haha ... ;)

:celebrate: Hope you all have a smash-up bang (slang for a very good time) at your grandson's 2nd birthday: :celebrate:

At the last place we lived in the country, we had lots of kinds of birds; some miss us and keep passing by: so far that we've seen, we've had a few woodpeckers, one starling, a few wrens, lots of chickadees, and dozens of different finches (purple and red ones). I have seen some red (male) grosbeaks but they keep missing our feeders as they are somewhat hidden by the giant fur trees here. I told DH that I'm gonna hang strips of red material on each side of the fur tree next year to attract their attention so that they'll come by; it's worth trying.;)

HIYA PURPLE ~ gee, it's so nice to see you back here and read your cheery posts again. So glad that you got your PC up and running again; yah, really gotta save everything to make sure you don't lose anything. Good for you finishing that scarf; hey, even if it looks like something DR. WHO would wear, who cares? What matters is that your face is warm and safely covered.

:bday2you: to you MEOWEE !!! Glad you are having fun eating all the birthday food; just hope you don't pay for it too much later on ... portion control; portion control ... that'll save ya! Enjoy ...

HI RONNI ~ :woops: That was so funny about the treadmill; that's what I mean ... it looks really easy when someone else is using it; but when I'm on it, it's cruel to the back, and knees, if you fall down like I did. :o :tread: So for that infraction, mine is in jail for now: confined to the shed for an unspecified amount of time for a possible future use, or not? ;)

Yah, we have only 4 weeks or less til we can all go walking down the roads and streets again; our dear PURPLE is having fab weather over there in the UK and can walk already. If I showed you the snowhill outside our kitchen window, you'd be aghast! Think I'll get DH to do a pose for me tomorrow and let you have a seesee ... ;)

Well, I think I have rambled on long enough for tonight; time to go put my feet up and do a puzzle or two. Take good care ladies; and HI to VAL ~ TGIF ... and NUMPSTER ~ have a FABULOUS FRIDAY!!! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc
02-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Good Afternoon Ladies

It has been another grey overcast day so far and no prospect of any sunshine. Though it has been dry so that is a positive. If it is not too cold I will have a little walk later with DH. Managed one yesterday but was shattered after it, I must admit walking is much harder now. Whether that is due to the relapses I had last year or due to the cold winter spell we have had which has meant no daily walks for me. Just finishing eating lunch and have the pots to go and do shortly.

ROSEBUD We are lucky weather wise we can normally walk all year round as we have a mild climate compared to yours. Just this year there was a spanner in the works with the long spell of snow and then ice which we get once in a blue moon. The last time it was like that I was 26 years old. So by my calculations if it takes us another 18 years to see such snow then I will be 62.

Good idea how to eek food out for the birdies when the purse strings are tight. Plus as you said you can ask for bird seed for presents for birthdays and Christmas which is such a nice idea I think. The older you get the less things you need as you have already accumulated them over the years. Plus I am not a materialistic person and value other things in life.

BEVERLYJOY It is so wrong that a firm can make some one redundant then re-employ someone else for less money to do the same job. It is happening here also but they are crafty here as they are not suppose to do that by law so they re-employ people but they give a different title for the job but the actual work they do is the same as the person whom was made redundant. They have made a loophole and they are exploiting it until they stop it.

You like me are a worrier my DH says that if I haven't got something to worry about then I create something :o. I wish my nature was one of being more carefree and laid back like DH.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday party with your two year old grandson. It is nice when they are this old. His next Christmas should be great as he will be starting to get excited about Santa Claus which is a magical time with kids.

Well the pots await and I must get cracking so bye for now and take care

ronni62
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi! Don't have much time to post, but wanted to say hi to you all!

Purple- Very glad your computer problem is fixed and I'm very jealous of your weather!

Meowee-:bday2: Sorry it's late:o

Beverlyjoy-enjoy your family and the b-day party! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Rosebud-would love to see your snow mountain! We have one in the church's back yard next door that always floods our shed when it melts:(but I guess they have nowhere else to put the stuff when they plow.

Val-:wave:

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Have a really nice weekend!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we woke up to another storm; two days in a row. Later on the sun came out and we waited til the winds calmed down a bit, and then went out to pick up a few groceries this afternoon, but it was still very cold out there.

RONNI ~ We are almost buried in snow: in the front, the snow has already reached the top of our deck and out back it is piled to the top of our neighbour's garage. (see pic below). It keeps rolling down the hill by our car; gee, when that melts we are gonna be flooded as their property slopes towards us. :yikes:

Anyways, I also included a picture of our NIKO, looking so cute here. I tried to add in some pics of our flowers from last year to brighten things up, but they were still too big to fit in here. Will have to resize them and try again later. Gotta go get my feet up as they are very sore from the walking and the cold today.

PURPLE ~ yes, I asked DH for the bird seed as one of my Christmas gifts as I already have so much like you said; I have been sending boxes of stuff to goodwill as it is.

So I'm gonna go put my feet up and do some puzzles and read for awhile. HI to MEOWEE, and to VAL, and BEVERLYJOY,and NUMPSTER ... hope you all have a great weekend; and take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

31846 31847

purpleorc
02-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi and good morning Ladies

Still remains grey and overcast but dry. Went for a walk yesterday with DH at about 6pm it was not too cold and I enjoyed the walk as I wasn't too cold. I have notice that next door neighbour has popped her washing out on the line this morning there is a little breeze but I am not sure how much it will dry out there today.

Tried the 3% fat milk the other day would not know the difference between that and the semi skimmed. So this milk is in between skimmed milk and semi skimmed. Just at the minute the price is a little dearer I am hoping as more people may use it and it will bring the cost down. Has I have told you things here in the UK are very pricey compared to the USA or Canada. Like a carton of cigarette (20 cigarettes here) is over $10 and diesel is nearly $2.00 a litre. Just a few examples of the price of things here.

Watched the final of masterchef yesterday. This is a competition of amateur cooks whom take part in this competition. As part of the competition they go to work in profession kitchens and do a lunch time service. So hence are given a bit more training so learn as they go along but still be part of the competition. They have to cook for the army on basic army rations on a pit fire and oven. They then have to do fine dining for the officer in the officer mess. I love seeing the process of the cooks grow and the two judges critique their food. I must admit they are nice to the contestants they will always try to find some element of the food to be nice about and well as give constructive criticism about the food. If the contestant goes through to the next round then they must try and iron out these errors. They cook in so many different settings and all to learn different skills from leadership to ironing out problems with their cooking.

RONNI Never think of anyone being jealous of our weather but now I see pictures and you are still in the depth of winter. We never get snow like that and can walk all year round. Not much difference between our winters and summers to be honest. We have temperatures on average about 10c and in the summer I would say about 25c. So on the flip side of the coin we do not have the warm summers you experience. Which I say I am very grateful for as I am like a wet dish rag in hot weather. I have no energy in summer when the temperature get too hot. Plus here air conditioning is not normally part of our homes as 90% of the time I suppose we never need them as it is not warm enough.

ROSEBUD. :brr: gosh it makes me feel cold just seeing the piles of snow that you still have. I just can't imagine having snow like that. Here's me with spring just around the corner with the flowering of crocuses and snowdrops in full bloom. I notice my daffodils now have a bud on them so it will not be many more weeks and they will be flowering also.

It must be a worrying time for you thinking about the thaw and the possibility of flooding. I hope and pray that is not the case for you and your DH.

Niko he looks as gorgeous as ever he doesn't half melt your heart with a face like that you can hardly tell him off when he has been naughty ;) Rizzie if I am about to discipline him for something (not very often he is good really) well he either attempts to give me a sloppy lick or he does his party trick and puts both paws up and begs. Well when he does that I end up bursting out laughing I know he is as crafty as a barrel load of monkeys this one.

Hello to MEOWEE, and to VAL, BEVERLYJOY,and NUMPSTER ~ yeah the weekend is here I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend and recharge those batteries.

Time to go and wash the breakfast pots I am afraid. Oh for a bigger kitchen that I could fit in a dish washer :D Well that is only a pipe dream until then I am head bottle washer and cook ;) Not sure if I will be around tomorrow as I am going out for the day at my sister's. They have invite us round for Sunday lunch which I am looking forward too on two fronts the company and the needless to say the food. Not sure how on plan it will be but it is only once in a blue moon. Bye ladies and take care.

meowee
02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi gang . . .

Yesterday was so packed with happenings it seemed like a day and a half -- started with some family troubles which are so very difficult to cope with when I'm a good thousand miles away from the epicentre. Then, took Mouse in for his annual checkup and booster shot and the Vet's office was absolutely packed. Took as long in there as it usually does at my own doctor's office. Reminder to self -- do not make Vet appointment for Friday ever again. Finished up with yet another (unexpected) dinner out.

At least we had three days of wonderful weather but it is over now. Currently it's raining buckets and tonight we re supposed to go into an instant freeze-up and then get three (maybe four) days of heavy snow. :yikes: All I can hope for (other than the forecast being wrong) is that this lion-like start to March will mean a lamb-like exit later on. :crossed:

Other than that -- portion control she says -- hopefully I can get back to doing the right stuff for the m onth of March too. :yes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-28-2009, 11:00 PM
HI LADIES ~ well, we had another cold night and day, but the winds have stopped pretty much, but DH says it's still very cold. Some places recorded -40c; our thermometer said -28c but with the windchill factor out in the open, it could very well have been that low.

They are actually predicting more snow for tomorrow; I think our landlord will start crying, but we are learning to take it all in stride. This is another record snow year I'm sure. DH cleaned off the front porch again today and wants me to take some more pics; if it's not too bad, I'll go out tomorrow to take some more.

HI MEOWEE ~ glad you made it through all that excitement, esp with the family issues and the Vets. It was so busy at our one grocery store that people were bumping into each other in certain places. Note to self: avoid the grocery store late afternoon on Fridays ...;) Your weather forecast sounds even worse than ours! :hug:

PURPLE ~ We have four levels of milk here: Whole milk, 2% part milk, 1% part milk, and skim milk (virtually no fat in this one and the one DH & I use the most). Many people don't like the skim milk, but after years of using it, we are used to it and we know how to make it correctly. We make sure to add enough dry mix and chill it overnight too. Ya know, we started using it, because it was cheaper than liquid milk, but now we are just so used to it, and it is still better for us because we can just make what we need. Before, we used to waste it; it would go sour on us, and even now, we have to make sure to use it up quickly. We are just not that big on milk really: we only use it for cereal.

That show you are watching about competing chefs sounds interesting to me; you and I like a lot of the same kind of shows. We have a provincial television station (TVO) that often buys shows from England and I have watched quite a few like cooking shows, historical shows, detective shows, decorating shows, gardening shows, traveling shows, and other such favorites.

Yes, our weather is frightful, isn't it? We are a bit surprised at how much snow we have already, and we are running out of places to put it all. The road fairies came by and towed some away for us (the guy was being nice as he saw how high the pile is in our front yard); we can no longer see the houses down the road and vehicles passing by from our front picture window ... gee, shucks ... that's what a window is for!;)

Isn't NIKO cute? DH says that I spoil him rotten; oh well, we only have one furry baby and he's really very good, just like your Rizzie is. NIKO really is a man's dog and parks himself at the door waiting for DH to return, as in the picture I posted last time (he was by the door waiting for DH to come back in the house). When he's in the house, NIKO comes to me a lot and DH says that he listens and obeys me better, but then I have spent untold hours training him while DH was outside doing other things when we first got him. Actually, I have continued the training, as it takes quite a while for them to get all the commands down pat.

HI to VAL, and RONNI, and BEVERLYJOY, and NUMPSTER ~ hope all you ladies have a great weekend, and do join us in the new March thread tomorrow ...

ANYWAYS, this is my last post for the month of February in this thread. I have started a new thread for MARCH, and MEOWEE will have that red stickied for us as soon as she can get to it .. and we all thank her for that too!

Take good care ladies, time to do some reading ... :hug:ROSEBUD :hug: