Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy first weigh-in with no weight loss

so i'm pretty new to this who calorie counting and weekly weigh-in business (about 3 weeks in), and when i first bought the scale 3 weeks ago i was weighing myself multiple times per day. for the first time, i waited an entire week to weigh myself and was very proud of myself, until i actually looked at the scale: NO CHANGE!
now, i know from reading other people's posts that this is really common and it's only a week and i shouldn't freak out, but seriously, i am so irritated right now. i feel like i've been trying hard. i'm still breaking in this new routine so i'll use any excuse to slack off, but i've really be unusually disciplined these last 3 weeks. it would be nice to see some sort of payoff.
so i guess i'm just feeling bummed out.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192.5/180.5/155

Height: 5'7

look at homw much you've lost already! i really think its natural every once in a while to not lose... the body tends to have a mind of its own.

it's good you didnt make all that effort and gain any weight!

keep it up- you are doing great!!
sheltielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

One thing I've noticed by weighing once a week is that you aren't really aware of the fluctuations, and this can be frustrating.
If you weighed in at 155, and didn't lose anything, for instance, your week may have actually gone like this (if you weigh in on sundays):
Sunday: 155
Monday:155.5
Tuesday: 154
Wednesday: 154.5
Thursday: 153.5
Friday: 154.0
Saturday: 153.0
Sunday: Back to 155.0

Just something to keep in mind. You could've caught yourself on a higher weight day, just due to normal weight fluctuations. So don't get down about one week. Even when you weigh weekly, you have to look at the trends (over several weeks).
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/174/145

Height: 5 ft 5

Just don't give up. Look on the bright side at least its not a gain.
krock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

sws, I have also notice that I usually lose weights in chunks. I might go a couple of weeks with relative little change and then boom, lose 4. Just keep making your good choices and you will do great! Congrats on your loss already.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

It's been said here many times before--weight loss isn't linear. Because our bodies are mostly water, it will always fluctuate. Because we are women (most of us, anyway), it will fluctuate even more.

Trust the process!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I started on Dec 1 and I have lost every week so far but from what I have read on here I KNOW the day will come when I have a week where I don't lose weight.

I know that it is inevitable. But I also know that you just keep going and eventually you reach your goal.

Don't be down on yourself... stay positive. Like someone already said at least you didn't gain.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #8  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I SHOULD say don't sweat it, it doesn't matter, everything is fine but man, that SUCKS. i would be totally irritated too! you've lost a lot and are getting closer to your goal plus i'm pretty sure you'll see some change the next time but don't feel bad about being a little pissed off at your scale. I would have been too! haha So I think it's ok to be a little frustrated- just don't use it as an excuse to slack off, but more a reason to bust your butt more!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

thanks for the advise everyone! it definitely helps. and yeah i was thinking actually the every day weighing thing maybe wasn't such a bad idea after all, because at least it helps me track the fluctuations rather than pinning all my hopes on one particular moment per week.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I remember the first week I didn't have a loss, (I weigh weekly and like it best that way). I was severely bummed because I knew I had worked hard and stayed on track....WELLLL, the next week was fabulous! I now try to pay attention to what I eat and drink the 2 days leading up to weigh day, and try to avoid salty foods at all costs those days. It has happened a few more times since then, and I've even had a small gain a couple times, but like clockwork the next week I'm all smiles again. Measuring my waist once a week helps too. It proves to me that something good is still going on in the inside.

You are doing great. Just hang in there.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-02-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote