100 lb. Club - Where do you shop?

View Full Version : Where do you shop?

Jennelle
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
I was watching the news this morning and the newscaster, who is about the same size as me, looked so cute! I would love to email her and ask her where she shops, but I don't want to offend her. I mean, she'd probably be annoyed that I was paying less attention to the news and her hard work than I was to her really cute robin's egg blue belted blazer.

Anyhow, where do you shop for cute clothes? I buy Lane Bryant jeans because they fit really well, but I don't like anything else they have. It might be that their clothes seem a bit "young" for me (I'm 41 1/2), but I think it's more because their designers are obviously skinny. I don't know a fat girl anywhere who looks good in gigantic psychedelic swirly prints or empire waists!

As for other shopping, I find that I pretty much have to just buy what fits (I'm a size 20) and just make it work, even if I don't particularly like it.

katiecron
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
good topic. Kohls can have cute, simple clothes. i am also a 20. well, now 18ish...but i love love love Gap Outlet. They sell pants up to size 20 and shirts in XXL. In fact, a lot of Gap XL fit me (not button ups, of course).
I am not a fan of Lane Bryant. I think most of their clothes are over the top and flashy and the cute, plain clothes just don't fit right. many dress pants are tight in the waist, but big enough for me to put 3 children in the leg (not in the cute, wide leg way, but in the sloppy too big and unprofessional way).
Some Macy's carry good plus size clothes. I got a cute pair of CK jeans and Silver jeans for like 60% off.
Target has the right idea, but very limited in plus size selection in my geographical area.

WormwoodDoll
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Torrid. It can be a bit expensive. But it's really fashionable.

Old Navy has some nice plus size clothes, too.

CountingDown
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Check the credits at the end of the newscast. Many, many newscasters are "outfitted" by clothing stores.

lottie63
01-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I like lane bryant but I never buy anything patterened.

and their right fit jeans? OMG perfection! :P

Michelle98272
01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
LOL Value Village (2nd hand store near me!) This is a great post, it got me thinking that I NEVER, well hardly ever buy new clothes for myself other than socks, panties and bras! :-(

When I do need to buy something specific...I shop at Lane Bryant mainly for thier jeans, love 'em! I buy t-shirts and other tops at Wal-Mart or Target and hit TJ Maxx or Marshall's for nicer work tops ans special occasion dresses. I got my gorgeous black New Years Eve dress at Marshalls, originally marked $180.00 for $40. I don't know if TJ Maxx or Marshalls are nationwide or just Northwest type stores, they are the kind of stores that get brand new but overstock from other stores. Pretty nice stuff at really great prices if you don't mind digging through 400 items in your size, no two that are alike.

I love Lane Bryant jeans but their tops are funky and pricey and their bras are just the oddest sizes!!

As far as the news caster goes, I'd go ahead and email her! I'd be flattered if someone liked my clothes and wanted to know where I shop.

lottie63
01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
why are their bras funky sizes?

I LOVE Their bras. and I can actually buy them in the store now! (They now carry F-H in the store for anyone who didn't know!)

time2lose
01-31-2009, 12:02 PM
We have TJ Maxx in the South.
I like Hamricks but think that is in only a few southern states.
Catherine's - a little pricey but they have good sales.

Online -
Roamans - http://www.roamans.co
Jessica London - http://www.jessicalondon.com
Woman Within - http://www.womanwithin.com/

Lane Bryant catalog has different clothing from the stores - http://www.lanebryantcatalog.com

nelie
01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
If you have a Dillards, they are my absolute favorite store to shop at but I don't have one here so I'm bummed. Macy's is a close second.

cfmama
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
because I am more of a hippy sort I used to buy all of my clothes handmade off of ebay. I'd buy other stuff at Addition Elle.

Because now I am losing weight so quickly I tend to just grab a couple of tops in my size at wal-mart (at 8 dollars who cares that they'll be too big in two months.)

Gretchy
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not a fan of Lane Bryant. Occasionally I find something there I like, but for the most part it's expensive, and just makes me look bigger. You're completely right about their patterns. . . .

I tend to shop at Old Navy for just about everything. Other than that, JC Penney.

Michelle98272
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
why are their bras funky sizes?

I LOVE Their bras. and I can actually buy them in the store now! (They now carry F-H in the store for anyone who didn't know!)

I wear a 40 C, I'm fairly small up top. I don't really get "plus sized" until right below my boobs where all **** breaks loose! The bras I've tried on at LB in my size are oddly shaped. I typically wear Body by Victoria from Victorias Secret size 38C and wear the 2 inch bra extender to get the 40 I need. The LB bras are bigger than I'm used to with more fabric and larger underwires. I think the 40 C there is made for girls that are overall built bigger up top.

Didn't mean to diss your fav bra shop, Lottie! :D

time2lose
01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
I have not had to buy any clothing since I started losing weight. I have been shopping in my closet. I am looking forward to having to buy clothes when I get too small for my smallest size. That will be size 18.

RachluvsFashion
01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
alight.com or Cato's have some cute plus size clothing.

FB
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
If you have a Dillards, they are my absolute favorite store to shop at but I don't have one here so I'm bummed. Macy's is a close second.

Yeah, yeah! Dillards rocks my world! Macys would be my second choice too, with TJ Maxx and Marshalls coming in after that. Macys can be cheaper than TJ or Marshalls with their crazy sales.

lottie63
01-31-2009, 02:03 PM
I wear a 40 C, I'm fairly small up top. I don't really get "plus sized" until right below my boobs where all **** breaks loose! The bras I've tried on at LB in my size are oddly shaped. I typically wear Body by Victoria from Victorias Secret size 38C and wear the 2 inch bra extender to get the 40 I need. The LB bras are bigger than I'm used to with more fabric and larger underwires. I think the 40 C there is made for girls that are overall built bigger up top.

Didn't mean to diss your fav bra shop, Lottie! :D

Bigger than average? Does this mean by "normal" standards I'm above an H!?! last time my mom saw me she said, "You need to get a handle on those!"

lol.

Beverlyjoy
01-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I must preface this by saying that I only wear dresses or skirts. That's what I like.

I'll shop at Catherine's, mostly. Sometimes at Fashion Bug.

Online - Blair, Casual Living, & Serengeti

I buy most of my clothes online - except for undies and shoes.

katiecron
01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
OMG! Dress Barn. What an unfortunate name, though.
Anyway, for whatever reason I found myself in there and was surprised to find a lot of sensible plus size clothes.

TJFitnessDiva
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
I like Jc Penny's :)

Marie9
01-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I do shop at Lane Bryant but agree with you that many of the fashions are too young and some of the styles you just have to wonder what they are thinking. There's a lot of sleeveless, puffy cap sleeves and balloon blouses with bands at the bottom. I don't get it, LOL.

Other shops I buy things at are Dress Barn, Jessica London catalogue, sometimes The Avenue although their quality is not always that great, Coldwater Creek and J Jill when you can get things on sale or clearance. While Lane Bryant is a bit young at times I find Catherine's a bit old in terms of styles; they do have great pantyhose though.

Marie9
01-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Oh, I forgot Kohl's. You have to visit often because it's hit and miss, but they do have some nice casual tops from time to time.

TraceyElaine
01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I love torrid but some of its stuff id\s realy young. I also shop at either Reitmans or Penningtons. They are the only places within 2 hours of me who sell plus sized cloths.

Smiling_Sara
01-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Lane Bryant
Avenue
Khols
Maurices

Smiling_Sara
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
because I am more of a hippy sort I used to buy all of my clothes handmade off of ebay. I'd buy other stuff at Addition Elle.

Because now I am losing weight so quickly I tend to just grab a couple of tops in my size at wal-mart (at 8 dollars who cares that they'll be too big in two months.)

some of that stuff looks so cute!!! I've never even heard of this place before. Glad I saw it...

kiki100
01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Additionelle
Reitmans
Winners

Lane Bryant
Target

Canadian stores listed first, US stores second. I'm going to go looking for some new stuff when we're in Florida in 2 mos. I can't wait!

Thighs Be Gone
01-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Lately I have been hitting the consignment shops and thrift stores. Before, I would never have looked. I first started going to them because I was going through sizes and didn't want to waste money. What I have found is often high quality merchandise for almost nothing. My find this week was a pair of cocoa brown soft leather boots that go to the knee made by Franco Salto--online they are about $150 a pair. I also found some IT jeans that are $68 a pair at Nordstrom's. They were my size and again just $2.99. Shopping is becoming one of my favorite pastimes these days and so much better than the couch and food!

lottie63
02-01-2009, 12:22 AM
I got these 'cloud walkers' knee high "leather" boots from avenue. I LOVE THEM. strappy around the ankle, and laces up the back with a zip side and a smallish chunky heel. GOt em for xmas.

sidhe
02-01-2009, 12:34 AM
This thread is so educational!

When I was at my highest I was a 24-26, and I ONLY shopped at Lane Bryant. Then Torrid opened, so I would shop at those two places. Now I'm a 14-16 on top and an 18 on bottom...and I'm afraid to shop anywhere else! I'm *seriously* afraid to go into any other store to look for clothes, because I've been brainwashed that there is not other place where the clothes would fit me. I make Lane Bryant work. I avoid most of their clothes, but their jeans fit nice. :)

ChefsGirl
02-01-2009, 01:33 AM
So I wear 30W-32W & find that most stores that carry plus sizes don't go over a size 28.

Am I missing any. I would LOVE to be able to go shopping again! I hate catalogs.

lindalou0510
02-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Great post!

I shop at Fashion Bug! They are the sister store of Lane Bryant. Thy carry the same RIGHT FIT JEANS, which ARE perfection! And at 1/2 the price! At LB they are 44.99, at FB they are on sale (at least they were) for 19.98 or 26.99, depending on the color you wanted. I LOVE them. I have never found a pair of jeans that fit so perfectly. Go check them out!

I don't have much luck at Target, Kohls' etc.

LB bras don't fit me right either! I cannot find a bra that doesn't slip off my shoulders! I've been measured many times, and it's just hopeless! I tried those things you clip on the back of your bra, but then the straps show. I have gone to wearing strapless, but they dont' give the girls the support I'd like! Any ideas in that area?

I have also bought a few things at Woman Within, catalog only. They are fairly reasonably priced and have some really cute stuff! Really cute dresses!

Jennelle
02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
So I wear 30W-32W & find that most stores that carry plus sizes don't go over a size 28.

Am I missing any. I would LOVE to be able to go shopping again! I hate catalogs.

The librarian at a school where I used to work was about your size and she did a lot of her shopping at Catherine's. They're a little pricey, though, unless you manage to catch their sales.

nelie
02-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I never liked Catherines myself but its more of a 'mature' store and I was in my 20s but I think they go up to 7x. Although Avenue's clothes are cheapish, they do go to size 32. One of my turning points was that I had to shop at Avenue and bought a size 32 pair of pants. I'm actually sad because somehow I lost those pair of pants.

djay
02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't know how many stores they have...or how many states...or even why it is called Burlington Coat Factory...they have a great variety of styles and sizes of all clothing. Even for Tall heavy woman which is very hard to find!

kasmin
02-01-2009, 10:14 AM
When I'm in Canada, I shop at Addition Elle, Penningtons, and now a new favorite is Rickis. They now seem to be stocking plus size clothes as well, and I've gotten some decent jeans and nice shirts.:D

Smiling_Sara
02-01-2009, 10:28 AM
This thread is so educational!

When I was at my highest I was a 24-26, and I ONLY shopped at Lane Bryant. Then Torrid opened, so I would shop at those two places. Now I'm a 14-16 on top and an 18 on bottom...and I'm afraid to shop anywhere else! I'm *seriously* afraid to go into any other store to look for clothes, because I've been brainwashed that there is not other place where the clothes would fit me. I make Lane Bryant work. I avoid most of their clothes, but their jeans fit nice. :)

I totally get where you are coming from. I have this same mentality. On thanksgiving I was in the gap, and the ppl I was with made me try on a size 18 jean, and they fit! I was also in the banana republic and tried on a xl top and that fit. In 15 years these are my only 2 items that are not plus sized. My mind is convinced that plus size stores are where clothes will fit me. I was even in avenue yesterday to find new workout pants, since the ones I have fall off my hips when I run. I grabbed an 18/20 and they were big! I couldn't believe it. I had to get the "smallest" size avenue carried for workout pants in a 14/16. Yet I know that when I go shopping next, I'm gonna go to Torrid, Lane Bryant, Avenue, etc..

Smiling_Sara
02-01-2009, 10:29 AM

I was at avenue yesterday and they went to at least a 30 if not a 32. :)

jtammy
02-01-2009, 10:31 AM

I started out wearing a 32 also and the only local place was Catherines. I also thought some of their clothing looked matronly and even casual clothing was expensive, but there wasn't any choice. I also ordered things from Jessica London, they have extended sizes up to 32 on a lot of things.

Marie9
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
JRCATON,

Yeah, the selection of stores you can walk into that carry a size 30-32 is very limited and I think has pretty much been covered in this thread. I would add Penny's to the mix as a possibility for tops at least (size 4x).

Catalogue shopping can be difficult, but I have found that if you try a few and get to know their quality and how their sizes fit, it's not so bad. I have purchased lots of things from Jessica London. Junonia is on the expensive side, but their clothes do run large. Silhouettes has some nice items, but I am not wild about their fit. That's just my body though; you might find they work great. There's a catalogue company called Making It Big that is just larger sizes. Most of their clothes are made from cotton or other natural blends. Not particularly stylish, but not bad either, especially for basics. They are very expensive, but their clothes are of good quality and made for a larger body.

QTestRDH
02-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I shop all over the place. I typically get my jeans from Gap, or Victorias Secret because I can buy xlong jeans in size 16 from both places. Unfortunately I need a 36" inseam if I plan on wearing pants with heels, 34" without. (I'm very short waisted and long legged) Aside from pants I generally shop at New York & Company, The Limited, American Eagles, Express...and Macy's, gotta love Macys.... I just shop all over apparently!!

RN BSN 2009
02-01-2009, 11:34 AM

OMG are you in canada? I remember going to addition-elle in canada. I was really shocked because they actually had plus size models wearing their clothes! It wasn't like here where they had size 10 or 12 models wearing their clothes.. we're moving in the right direction tho!

Kae
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I like Target but often can't find clothes that fit me right. I am very big chested so I love Lane Bryant... all of their tops fit me just right and I don't have to struggle into them. ;)

foxxy511
02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
I work at Penney's...and therefore shop at Penney's, haha. Nowadays just about everything is on clearance so I can get it dirt cheap. Although, I'm starting to realize that I really like cotton blends (or all cotton) better than the rayon/stretchy material clothes that Penney's carries a lot of. But I used to shop at Target for jeans until I realized that I was paying way too much for something that wasn't going to fit me in two months. And actually, today, I was planning on running to Walmart to get some new jeans (so I can do laundry and still be able to wear pants that fit, haha!).

My shopping options have always been limited though...I hardly ever went shopping. But I've always loved the Style & Co. line at Macy's. I think they have really cute clothes!

pick7499
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I do a lot of old navy plus.....I totally agree with LB tops...what are they thinking.

I'll do some shopping in my closet but after a size 16 I'll have nothing smaller...and that's my goal!

Nada
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm with Thighs be Gone. I shop consignment for the same reason and have found it to be great entertainment......what treasure can I find today?

BAILYBOO
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I shop at Talbot's .And when they have a sale it really good I love there capri's and they also have plus petites .

wchs2007
02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I am so cheap.. I tend to spend on my kids and not myself.. I like the thrift store. When I lost weight in 2007 it was so fun to find cute outfits at a low price. Knowing they would not fit for long..lol
I also shop at walmart but they almost never get cute clothes for plus size woman. If they do you better be there the day they put them out!

ChefsGirl
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
You guys are awesome! Thanks!

I've got a JC Penney & Burlington Coat Factory right up the street. Shopping this weekend! Yay!

I just want to get a few little things to reward myself for staying on plan so well. I love me some shopping!

I've shopped Catherine's but never had much luck there. Maybe I'll give it another try.......the DF doesn't know what he's in for this weekend :)

WatertonGirl
02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Personally I love Addition-Elle and Reitmans. I'm pretty young (just turned 30) and those 2 stores have a really nice selection of clothes that are pretty fashionable. Walmart isn't bad either!

channning102
02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I started going to thrift stores because I did not want to spend alot of money on clothes I would not be wearing long. I have found so many deal at thirft stores that I will continue to shop there. I still go to Ashley stewards, Syms, Marshalls.

BrandNewJen
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm 26, not a "party girl" but more career-minded and professional... I wear a size 20 right now but the tough part is that I'm 6'1" and very busty (40G bra)...

So it is HARD to shop... Here's my opinion of stores
Lane Bryant- basically my go-to place, but only on the big sale days or clearance racks! Very pricey. Their jeans and pants are the ONLY ones that fit. LB cycles between "old lady" clothes and "way too trendy, not for fat people" clothes... right now they're in the "young" stage

Avenue- Some of their pants are pretty good, they actually have longs. But not as good as LB. Again, they're pricey so I shop the clearance and sale racks. They don't have the greatest sales, though.

Catherines Ugh--- "OLD people clothes" very "matronly". However, sometimes you will get lucky and find a few choice pieces. I love shopping their seasonal clearances online--- they have more selection and more "younger" stuff on there sometimes. I just bought 75 pieces of summer clearance clothing for $230... I'm returning over half b/c I didn't know what size to order and ordered tons of colors--- but for basic summer tank tops it was awesome! I also bought a $150 dress for $16 that is BEAUTIFUL and is my goal dress (size 16)

Macy's- hit or miss--- usually pretty matronly stuff

JCpenney's- I don't think I've EVER successfully purchased anything here. I think they have an awful plus size section (at least in my area)

Fashion Bug-- yes, they're the sister store to Lane Bryant, but the quality is MUCH worse. I call it the "Polyester Paradise" b/c nearly everything is 100% polyester. I think it's one of the worst stores, their clothes are cut oddly and just don't fit good.

Dress Barn Woman- Years ago this was mostly matronly, older woman stuff. I went in for the first time in a couple years during Xmas season and was SHOCKED at how cute some of the stuff was! The quality seems really nice and I bought a BEAUTIFUL cocktail dress for a wedding for only $50. I will be keeping tabs on them for shopping in the future.

Torrid- kinda goth stuff, but some of it is really cute. DEFINITELY not for "older" people... more of a plus size Junior's store

Payless Shoes- the only place I buy my shoes b/c they consistently carry cute wide widths

Old NAvy- used to be good when they carried plus sizes in the stores--- now it's only online and the clothes don't go on clearance nearly as cheap as in the stores

Roamann's - Higher priced, kinda shoddy quality but it's hit or miss

Woman Within / Lane Bryant Catalog- UGH!!! Mu-mu paradise! The sizes go VERY high, but most of their clothes look like they're made out of bed sheets to me. I ordered a couple times and I thought the quality was appaling.

Hmmm... that about covers it for me. :)

rodeogirl
02-03-2009, 02:38 PM
You can find some really cool and unique stuff at Etsy.com.

I posted about Sandmaiden's stuff on my blog.

nelie
02-03-2009, 03:08 PM
BrandNewJen - Have you seen the INC stuff at Macys? Its the kind of stuff Lane Bryant SHOULD be but isn't. Meaning its generally for a younger crowd without being for the 'show lots of skin' crowd. I love INC :)

madys momma
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I have had lots of luck at Younkers (Herbergers...etc.)...I also like Kohl's and Target...Love Avenue although I don't think their material is the best quality...I also do shop at Lane Bryant for bottoms...once in a while I will buy tops in there I also like their bras and suits...I am a fan of CJ Banks as well...I love shopping and am in no shortage for clothes.

SnowboundChick
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm not a big clothes shopper because of my size and where I live, it's hard. Our options are Sears and the local shop that is very expensive, they sell a lot of Columbia and other such brands. When I get to Edmonton I like going to Addition-Elle (do they have online yet?) and when I'm in Whitehorse it's Wal-Mart and Reitmans and they used to have a Saan store. LIke I said I don't buy anything except the essentials, I hope that will change someday.

LadyHeather
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I shop all over and I am really cheap and I shop in the clearance only. I figure if I am losing weight I am not going to be in these clothes very long. I shop all over though, wal-mart & target for workout clothes, kohl's for pants and sometimes shirts, fashion bug & torrid for almost anything, I also shop on ebay a lot. As far as bras I have to order them online cause they don't carry my size in the stores. Right now I have enough clothes to last me awhile and I can careless if I am in style. I kept all my favorite clothes from before having kids, I just can't let them go. So I have sizes 16 to 26. I mean once I get down to the weight I want I am going on a shopping spree, my parents and my in-laws are paying for it and I am also going and getting a full back tattoo but that is a whole other story. Wow I talk too much, lol.

Jennelle
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow, ladies - I've gotten lots of good ideas here! I have a Burlington Coat Factory less than two miles from me and I've never been in there...I guess that's gonna have to change!

I see lots of people have luck with Kohl's and Penney's. My issue is that they have lots of cute stuff, but it's always one size bigger or one size smaller than I need. :P

KCMom
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I love Land's End catalog for the best quality jeans. They have a wide size range, and you can order the inseam length you need.

Most of their plus size clothing is classicly styled and very good quality.

I also like Catherine's, but I fit their age demographic. 20-30 years old probably won't be happy with the clothes there.

I find some nice items at Macy's and Dillard's from time to time, too.

lalique
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I shop at wal-mart because its the only place around here...

I don't have many cute clothes :(

I did find alot of cute plus sized stuff at Fasion Bug Plus though :D

mygritsconfessions
02-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I shop at Belks, Walmart, Lands End, and wherever I can find something that fits better than a potato sack with an elastic waist ;-)

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com

xJox
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I shop at Maurices.

Lucky87
02-06-2009, 08:46 PM
If I was rich I'd definitely shop at Torrid, I love their clothes but I'm not about to spend $$58.00 dollars on one shirt, it's absurd! I shop at Ross it's cheap and they do have bigger clothes in their womens world section, just look through everything and you will find something. Most of my wardrobe is from there. I'm cheap when it comes to shopping though lol. Thrift stores work for me too.

Jennelle
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
...wherever I can find something that fits better than a potato sack with an elastic waist ;-)

:lol: Ain't THAT the truth? I was shopping in Sears last year for some slacks I could wear to work (no denim rule where I teach) and all I could find above a size 18 (I'm a 20) were old lady pants like my grandma used to wear: polyester blend with the "perma-crease" seam down the front and the elastic waist all around. I never did find anything, but I bought a Christmas gift for hubby. When I was checking out, the cashier (who was about my size) talked about the dearth of pants. She couldn't understand why they thought all fat girls desired the Grandma-Hits-the-Slots look, either.

Lucky87
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Hmm what about Lane Bryant? I know they have business casual things there. Unless you are on a tight budget. JC Penny has a decent selection of things for plus size at least here in Florida.

nelie
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I only bought a couple things from Torrid and they were really cheap so I thought torrid was cheap but its been a couple years. I remember getting some pants and shirts for around $10. Although I only shop sales so it might've been a huge sale.

Lane Bryant has lots of good work pants. I used to buy all my work pants from there.