Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Request: Asian meal for potluck

View Full Version : Request: Asian meal for potluck

JenMusic
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm going to a potluck on Sunday, and the host requested that I bring something ethnic, preferably Asian. It needs to be something that can be either served room temperature, or kept warm (for up to 2 hours) in a crockpot. And, I'm adventurous, but Asian cooking isn't my specialty, so it would be nice if it were something easy and/or forgiving.

I was thinking some kind of curry - either Thai or Indian, but I don't know how well they would keep and I'm sure the Thai curry isn't terribly healthy. Any healthier ideas, or thoughts from more experienced cooks?

Thanks!

nelie
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Does it have to be traditional? You can try sushi rolls which are fun but take practice.

Here is a Sushi Salad that I've been wanting to try. Its basically the ingredients of a vegetable sushi roll in a salad. It looks yummy. Its not traditional asian but it looks good:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/sushi-salad.html

Thighs Be Gone
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I make a Spring Roll Salad. Mix rice stick noodles with fresh mint, fresh basil and fresh cilantro. With your vegetable peeler, put in shreds of carrots and cucumber. Put in as many boiled shrimp as you like. The dressing is Plum sauce and Peanut sauce mixed. SERIOUS YUM and easy!

JenMusic
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Ooh, thanks for those. That's out of the box and looks interesting - sometimes I get so caught up in "traditional" thinking I forget other stuff is out there. :)

Would still love to hear more ideas if anyone has them. I do enjoy trying to new food ideas, and this could be my next cooking spree.