Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What 5 things in your kitchen...

View Full Version : What 5 things in your kitchen...

corazonas
01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
could you absolutely NOT live without? Whether it's fresh foods, or junk food, or a condiment you put on everything... what do you LOVE?

here's my 5-

Popchips- I LOVE potato chips! And these are air popped (not fried or baked) and taste AMAZING. I don't even eat Lay's anymore- they taste awful in comparison.

Laughing Cow cheese- wedges, bites, whatever. i LOVE cheese and have to eat it every day! i put the bites on crackers, put the wedges in egg scrambles... i would literally cry for days if they stopping making it.

Yoplait- i used to HATE yogurt but i realized i was just eating the wrong kinds. my favorite is boston cream pie- i eat it almost every day.

A.C.LaRocco Pizza- i just found these THIS week. and i will never be the same again. i loooove pizza but don't let myself have it much because let's face it, bread, fatty meat, and tons of cheese don't really scream healthy. but these are so so so good! they are organic, very low fat, and VERY high fiber so you get very full. i bought like 500 to keep on hand. :P

Lesser Evil Krinkle Sticks- ok, so back to chips but not really chips. you have to understand that i use to bingeeeee and it was whole bags of potato chips at a time. so even thought i still adore chips i don't eat them often and eat a better version. ANYWAY, these taste like fries. no joke. really awesome fast food fries you can keep in your pantry. once i tried them with ketchup even and now i won't eat them without it. when i make a veggie burger, these are my fries on the side. SO. AWESOME.

so those are my 5. of course i love normal things like chicken and veggies and healthy stuff but if a magic genie was bringing me some stuff it would be this list! haha

So what is everybody elses? I love food so much and I'm curious to see what you guys like- I always up for new ideas!

srmb60
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I panic if I have no salad greens, tuna or chicken.

ladybug20
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I love a recipe I got from WW for Muffins made out of cake mix and pumpkin. They are a great 1pt snack and help with chocolate cravings.

Light string cheese, its a good on the go snack.

Boca Burgers.

Frozen Chicken breast, so easy to make.

Onions, I love to add it to just about everything for a nice little flavor kick.

LindaT
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Boneless Skinless chicken breasts
Broccoli Slaw
Mushrooms
Egg whites
La Tortillas

MindiV
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Yogurt - I also LOVE the yoplait...but the flavors are limited here.
Mozzarella string cheese
Cantaloupe
chicken
rice! I love me some rice....

Onsecondthought
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
individually wrapped boneless chicken breasts
dean's 1% cottage cheese
fat free hot chocolate
egg whites
oatmeal

corazonas
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
omg, i love food so much!

mushrooms, egg beaters and latortillas should DEF be on my list! my favorite go to lunch is 2 la tortillas, an ounce of pastrami, 2 slices low fat provolone, fresh spinach, sliced mushrooms, and a couple sprays of ceaser spray dressing. they turn out huge and i just fold em up as best i can and throw them in my george foreman grill. it's so warm and gooey and holy cow, i could eat it every day!

archychick
01-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I have alot more than 5! lol

fresh baby spinach
frozen organic green beans
GARLIC cloves
garlic chili sauce & Sciracia sauce (the rooster only!)
Trader Joe's 21-Seasoning Salute

JulieJ08
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Greek yogurt
Oatmeal
Frozen Blueberries
Canned Beans (trying to switch to dried :))
Brita water filter

Msahaller
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
1.Onions...Onions go in everything at my house
2. 1% Milk
3. Chicken Breast
4. Cottage Cheese
5. Eggs

Oh how I love eggs...and a nice Cholesterol breakfast :) My TRUE downfall!

I've never been one for overly processed cheese, What brand of non-fat or low-fat cheese have you guys found tasty?

jessisaokay
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
food scale
chicken
avocado
veggies
steel cut oatmeal

I almost put down peanut butter, but I'm taking a break from it.

rockinrobin
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I have a lot more then 5. I like to keep a well stocked kitchen. Keeps me on plan. Makes me waaay more comfortable with this lifestyle. I NEED to be prepared. Sooo, the top 5, hmmmm?

-Kirbys (a variety of cucumber)
-Fat free/Sugar Free Yogurt
-green beans
-salad greens
-turnips

Oooh, and onions and garlic and chicken breast and carrots and tomatoes and and and and.....

Redflame
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Garlic cloves, powder, crushed, pickled and roasted---there are five right there ;)

spinach

onion

chicken

peanut butter, no sugar added!~

corazonas
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM
you guys are awesome! half my list was junk! haha

just so you guys know i don't survive on ice cream and cookies alone ;) i eat pretty balanced!

but jess mentioned the thing that should be my number one- FOOD SCALE!! i could never eat chips again if it was a choice between that or my scale! :D

ennay
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
eggs
onions
plain yogurt
red bell peppers
dove dark chocolate

ennay
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
I've never been one for overly processed cheese, What brand of non-fat or low-fat cheese have you guys found tasty?

NON fat - none, fat free cheese and"not too processed" are not compatible.

Reduced fat -
Jarlsberg light ( a type of swiss)
Tillamook makes a decent reduced fat.
Almost any of the 2% milk cheeses taste fine. Use in moderation.

Thighs Be Gone
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
eggs
grilled chicken
salsa
lots of fruits and veggies
nonfat cooking spray

MISFIT
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
1. Light Soy Milk. :D I love it, but try not to have TOO much.

2. Grapefruit. I eat half and sprinkle a packet of Splenda on the top.

3. Tomato Sauce. I don't really eat pasta, but I like to spread some on a veggie and fat-free mozzerella sandwich, or to dip stuff in.

4. Strawberries and Pineapple. Gotta have my negative calories!

5. Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal. It kind of tastes like whole-grain Captain Crunch.

BlueToBlue
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Nonfat cream cheese: I use it as a sub for butter, spread it on sandwiches, use it to make mac & cheese and an alfredo like pasta, put in baked potatoes, and stir it into hot cereal.
Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt: I eat it every day for breakfast, use it as a sub for mayo and sour cream, make yogurt parfaits, and use it in recipes
Spenda and SF Torani syrups: I know it's bad and I'm trying to cut back, but I couldn't survive with some sweetener in my life
Hot cereal: Oat bran, oat meal, cream of wheat, cocoa wheat, Kamut, I love them all and couldn't live without them.
Chicken breasts: I am the woman of 1,000 chicken recipes. I buy a big package, divide it into 4-oz and 8-oz pieces and freeze individually.

murphmitch
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Oat bran hot cereal
Almond butter
Chicken breasts, individually frozen
Onions, I eat at least 1/2 one a day
FF Greek yogurt

ChefsGirl
01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
My electronic scale
Lettuce
Chicken
A great salad dressing; raspberry vin, caeser, ranch
Shredded cheese – I get the real stuff & just use portion control.

I have become a salad eater! From the girl who used to ask for “no veggies” in every meal. Yay!

rockinrobin
01-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Chicken breasts: I am the woman of 1,000 chicken recipes. I buy a big package, divide it into 4-oz and 8-oz pieces and freeze individually.
[/LIST]

I do the very same thing. My freezer is full of chicken breasts, individually wrapped. Same as you. 2 different sizes. Clearly marked as such.

And I've also got a slew of delicious, excellent, restaurant quality (even better) chicken recipes that I rely on. Couldn't do what I've been doing without them.

I was looking for a dancing chicken smilie, but sadly, there was none to be found.

Barbara, it's good to hear from you! Doesn't surprise me that we've got yet another thing in common. Hope you are well. :smug:

mandalinn82
01-31-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.hosthideout.com/images/smilies/dancingchicken2.gif

Egg whites
Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
Turkey Bacon
Greek Yogurt
Crystallized Candied Ginger - my new indulgence when I have that "I need something sweet" feeling. Because it's spicy too, more spicy than sweet, I can't have more than one 20-calorie piece without it really burning.

rockinrobin
01-31-2009, 01:19 AM
http://www.hosthideout.com/images/smilies/dancingchicken2.gif

See, you always look harder Amanda, always ;).

junebug41
01-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Fresh garlic
canned tomatoes
spinach
frozen fruit
eggs

...just 5?

mandalinn82
01-31-2009, 01:23 AM
:rofl: I googled "Dancing Chicken Smilie" and there it was.

rockinrobin
01-31-2009, 01:47 AM
:rofl: I googled "Dancing Chicken Smilie" and there it was.

I think Suzanne needs to know about this! Really. Come on, don't we too deserve a Dancing Chicken Smilie? Doesn't everyone? ;)

ChefsGirl
01-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Oh yes, my next 5 lb dancer will be the chicken..........LOVE IT!!

tommy
01-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Shrimp (my favorite protein)- of course I prefer lobster but that is really a treat
Popcorn (either 100 calorie microwave packs or kernels to pop fat-free)
Greens to cook like spinach, chard and kale (my body screams at me when I go a few days without)
Vinegars and citrus to use in dressings, marinades, etc
Mini corn tortillas (34 calories each- I pile them with beans, shrimp, touch of avocado and masses of home-made salsa)

Hyacinth
01-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Coffee, 1% milk, chicken, yogurt, hand fruit.

midwife
01-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Okay, top 5:

blueberries
cottage cheese
eggs
spinach
turkey :turkey:

Priscatip
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Amanda, I am totally with you on the ginger chews - I get kind of addicted to ginger flavored things - I always have to have ginger altoids with me

Good olive oil
garlic cloves
shallots (my boyfriend doesn't know they are onions, and he thinks he doesn't like onions)
canned beans (I am going to go to dried, i'll order from gordo rancho, but i don't get paid until monday :)
coffee

Good thread, I like this one.

mctinez
01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
1. Fat free cottage cheese - I absolutely love the stuff, I could go on an all cottage cheese diet if it was healthy!
2. Milk - I have to have it in my daily cup of coffee.
3. Frozen berry mix - I use it in my breakfast smoothies.
4. Eggs - I have them for breakfast when I don't have a smoothie, and we have them for dinner once a week.
5. Almonds - I have these for a snack daily.

corazonas
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Isn't it crazy how some things we like differ so much but some of the same stuff EVERYBODY just has to have!

I saw a few people mentioned greek yogurt... it's one of few things i've never tried! Me thinks i'll be buying some very soon :)

Thanks for all the replies!

ChefsGirl
01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Pris! That puppy........OMG is it new?

I have been wanting a yellow lab w/ a black nose (yes specifically) forever.

SO CUTE!

Yeah, what's greek yogurt? I've been hearing alot about it on the forum lately.

Also, saw alot of coffee lovers on here. Anyone use whole beans? If so, what kind? I'm looking for some different options b/c the DF bought me a new coffeemaker/grinder for my birthday.

corazonas
02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Whole beans? why yes! Starbucks brand... mmmm....

CountingDown
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
homemade yogurt
Joseph's heart healthy pitas
salad greens, broccoli slaw
teas (all kinds)
rice cooker

Hyacinth
02-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I use whole-bean coffee, too. I find the best beans not at Starbucks (though they work in a pinch), but at a locally owned place that roasts them nearby. They have a better variety of flavors, and it's always noticeably fresher than the stuff from larger companies.

corazonas
02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
ok i gotta ask- what's up with broccoli slaw? i've heard it's awesome, that you can put it in just about anything (salads, stir frys, what have you) and i love me some washed and bagged veggies! but i cant find this!! is it in like a bag of salad that says 'broccoli cole slaw' or am i looking in the wrong place? also, what's it look like- what included in it?

thanks!

CountingDown
02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, broccoli slaw is like the bagged cole slaw mix (usually next to it in the bagged salad section of the produce aisle).

I usually get Mann's (http://www.broccoli.com/broc_cole.html), though I have bought other brands. Rainbow Slaw is also good, just not quite as "healthy" as Broccoli Slaw.

I put some in my chili this afternoon. :D

corazonas
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks Counting! I have NOT seen this!! It looks good too! Stupid grocery stores.... :P I guess since you showed me what it looks like at least I know what I'm hunting for! I'm on a mission now......

RN BSN 2009
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
cheese of any sort
eggs
almonds
special k cereals
greek yogurt

river
02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
5 things is a hard choice-
avocado
asparagus
blueberries
salmon
eggs

runner ups include cucumber, dark chocolate, english muffins, cottage cheese, green beans, sushi, hot pepper flakes, and my sandwich press.

grabec
02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Pre-bagged salads (great invention of this century)
Buttermilk dressing
Instant coffee
Distilled or Purified water
My vitamins

kaplods
02-01-2009, 07:45 PM
fish sauce (I love thai food, but I also substitute it for worcesteshire sauce)
frozen berries, especially strawberies
crisp, sweet tart apples (honeycrisp, fuji, braeburn, pink lady....)
Emerald brand dark cocoa roasted almonds from San's club
diet Mountain Dew Code Red

junebaby
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
1 - Coffee Cream
2 - Pretzels (not allowed to eat yet)
3 - Tomatos
4 - Diet Coke w/ Lime
5 - Chocolate (again, not allowed)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wSenRGO/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSenRGO/)

corazonas
02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
1 - Coffee Cream
2 - Pretzels (not allowed to eat yet)
3 - Tomatos
4 - Diet Coke w/ Lime
5 - Chocolate (again, not allowed)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wSenRGO/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSenRGO/)

may i ask why you're not allowed to eat pretzels or chocolate?

kitten
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
any wheat bread that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup
a rice shake mix
soy milk
"So Delicious" soy ice cream
bolthouse farms mango lemonade
raw cocoa
agave nectar

some people can't count.:dizzy:

mygritsconfessions
02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
1. Key Lime Pie Yogurt - yummm
2. Homemade Lite Wheat Bread
3. Zoe Life Vitamins
4. Purified Water
5. Salad makings...

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com

junebaby
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
may i ask why you're not allowed to eat pretzels or chocolate?

I am following a certain diet thro the Metabolic Research Center and until I get to the maintenance phase they r off limits.

corazonas
02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
ohhh... that would be hard on me! how long until you get to maintenance phase? do you miss stuff like that?

CountingDown
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Colleen - I'm with you on the Cocoa Roast Almonds - they are spectacular (and HEALTHY)!

ChefsGirl
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Honeycrisp apples are my all time fave!

GoGreenAndLean
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
There are quite a few things I always have, but these I freak out over if we are out.

1. Egg whites
2. Vanilla Fiber One yogurt
3. Sugar free jello
4. Lite Cool Whip in the spray can
5. Strawberries and blueberries.

harrismm
02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
salsa
food scale
diet mountain dew-i no......but only 1 can a day
coffee
light ranch

corazonas
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
haha i saw this post was bumped and i read mine back and they've totally changed... isn't it crazy how we are always evolving?

-any and all cheese but specifically fat free feta
-veggie soup
-popcorn
-produce (i eat sooo much every day now, raw or cooked)
-my scale

shrinkingviolet
02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
my Breville juicer to juice greens
Olivier Balsamic Vinegar
Simply Organic Garlic Salt
organic tomatoes of different varieties
Maui sweet onions

Food is awesome.

janann
03-01-2009, 12:46 AM
juicer to make carrot and apple juice:carrot:
salad greens
Mrs. Dash spices
beefsteak tomatoes

geoblewis
03-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Really good extra virgin olive oil
my food scale
my fancy cookware and knife set
sardines
lemons

jademarlene
03-01-2009, 12:57 AM
raspberry vinegar

almonds

turkey bacon

frozen spinach

feta cheese

zenor77
03-01-2009, 01:05 AM
-Fresh Produce (we have a CSA box that we pick-up each week)
-rBgh Free Milk (I make our yogurt from the milk--we don't drink it)
-Whole Grains (steel cut oats, brown rice, and millet being the favorites right now)
-Good Olive Oil
-Local Farm Eggs

It's really hard to pick just 5. I love making all sorts of different ethnic foods, so we have many condiments, vinegars, oils, different dried beans, etc. I'm a foodie and my pantry is packed!