Whole Foods Lifestyle - Whole wheat pasta vs. barilla plus

ohmanda
01-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Which is a better choice? I like the barilla plus and I don't mind whole wheat either. Is one better nutritionally than the other?

ennay
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
This is a toughy. Whole wheat is more of a whole food. (fewer ingredients, less processed) Barilla plus has a little more protein as I recall, a little less fiber. It has good stuff like omega-3's, but it still has processed white flour.

Bottom line if you like both I would probably go for the whole wheat most of the time as it is just plain a more natural food. But the barilla plus is a decent option.

In my house we use the barilla plus. My husband drew the line on whole wheat pasta, and I do not make multiple meals.

kaebea
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe you could alternate?

personally, I'd go for the whole wheat.
You can get protein from other sources and omega 3's from a suppliment or other food sources. I don't really 'get' the whole idea of fortifying foods with nutrients they don't naturally contain. I just take a vitamin if it's vitamins i want.

Randi
01-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Have you tried the multi-grain pasta? I used to do the whole wheat but I thought it was too sweet, it wasn't too bad if I added sea salt to the water - but I have to watch my salt intake. Anyway - I started using the multi-grain pasta and I really like it.....

petra65
02-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I have tried the barilla whole grain or multigrain or whatever they call it and it was pretty good too. I actually like the barilla plus so I use that most of the time but am thinking about using the whole grain stuff. I'm not big on whole wheat pasta-too chewy.

pattygirl63
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for this discussion. I didn't realize that the barilla plus was made with white flour and I can't use white flour. I see lots of things marked whole grain now and wondered about them. I have noticed that if you check the whole grain foods that it doesn't always have any fiber or at least not as much. In those cases I opt for the whole wheat especially if the grams of fiber are more. I don't know if that matters or not. Does anyone else have an opinion or idea when choosing between whole wheat and whole grains?

mandalinn82
02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
If something says:
100% Whole Wheat
100% Whole Grain
It means that all of the flour within the product is whole grain flour.

If something says:
Made with whole grains
Multigrain
Wheat
Enriched Wheat
Cracked Wheat
Seven/Nine/Eleven Grain
etc.
It means that the item could still have white, refined grains.

The best way to know is to check the ingredient list. If there are flours listed that AREN'T indicated as "Whole" (for example "Whole Wheat Flour", "Whole Rye Flour") those grains are most likely refined grains.

Oh 2 be me
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
maybe off subject but yet not---I've read to look for "stone ground" in the ingredients, that this is more whole grain. Is that true?

mandalinn82
02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
No. Stone Ground means nothing if it isn't accompanied by "Whole". Stone Ground grains are usually coarser, and usually include the germ of the grain. They may or may not include the bran.

A whole grain includes all parts of the grain, including the bran.