Does it Work? - Rinsing your ground beef?

View Full Version : Rinsing your ground beef?

Su-Bee
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I found this info sheet on reducing the fat in ground beef by rinsing & draining it after cooking - the calorie & fat counts they show for before & after the rinsing are pretty dramatically different. The source seems reliable, but what do you guys think - too good to be true?

http://www.beeftips.com/pdf/Reducing%20Fat%20in%20Cooked%20Ground%20Beef.pdf

aware210
01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
i always rince my ground beef.. because alot of the grease comes out in cooking.. so if you rinse it your rinsing alot of the fat way. I season it after wards though.. so if your gonna rinse.. season last so your not just washing away the seasoning

jtammy
01-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I always rinse mine too. You can see the fat in the rinse water. Try it - What have you got to lose?

vixjean
01-27-2009, 11:38 PM
i wonder if you rinse away nutrients, that's what I have heard about pasta.

kaplods
01-28-2009, 12:23 AM
I've done it. There's a way to remove even more fat - instead of browning the ground beef, you boil (simmer really) it in a dutch oven with a couple quarts of water. You break up the meat with a spoon as the water heats up. Then you drain the water (now broth) into a bowl. You empty the collander or strainer into another bowl. So now you have one bowl of ground beef and one bowl of broth. You season the beef and make it into whatever you want and meanwhile cover and refrigerate the broth bowl and the next morning, remove the fat that has risen and solidified to the top, and you make soup out of the broth.

I also brown ground beef with tvp (dry soy protein) to dilute the fat content. If you search on kaplods and tvp you'll find a lot of threads in which I give my full recipe. I can use tvp (fat free) to make a ground beef mixture that's 90 - 95% lean for less than the cost of 80% lean ground beef. Tvp is cheaper than the cheapest hamburger per pound (it's about the same price as 80% lean hamburger per pound, but one pound of tvp is equivalent to 3 or more lbs of ground beef). Tvp can be used alone as a ground beef substitute, but it doesn't really taste like much on it's own. Browning it with ground beef, it really picks up the ground beef flavor and texture.

mariamherrera
01-28-2009, 12:53 AM
I always cooked my ground beef and then dump it on to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up al lthe grease! and keep patting it with paper towels until all the grease is gone! icky! why eat the extra grease? I belive it! iv'e heard of rinsing it before but I've never done that! seems no differnt the n soakign up the grease off of pizza!

Su-Bee
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
How would you count the calories for it? Do you think I can use the calorie count on the info sheet for rinsed & drained, or is that overly optimistic?

And Kaplods, have you calculated a calorie count for your ground beef/TVP mixture?

Thanks!

JuliaDH
01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Make sure you use HOT water. It keeps the fat going down the drain and keeps it from cooling off on the meat before it has the chance to rinse away! I also simmer like Kaplods. It helps it cook faster without getting burnt crispies.

delafax
01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I always rinse meat, chicken etc first so that's good news...just an added bonus LOL I also use a paper towel on cooked hamburger.

kelly315
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
sounds like a good thing, I'll have to try it.
I'm so weird about raw meat, though, I'll have to wash my whole sink down after wards.

RN BSN 2009
01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I just buy the leaner ground beefs. Very little grease to begin with.

kaplods
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Su-bee

I have calculated the calories for using 1 lb of 80% lean, and 1 cup of dry tvp and 1 cup of hot water, without draining the 80% lean. The calories are are 45 calories per ounce, and about 25 calories (about 6g) of fat. 1 oz of 80% lean beef is about 70 calories per ounce, 50 cals from fat so there's quite a savings.

The more tvp you use in proportion to the beef, the greater the calorie savings reduction. Obviously, if you used less or more fatty ground beef that would also adjust the calories and fat. I don't remember the math, as I didn't save it, but I once used 70% lean beef and 2 cups of tvp for 1 lb of beef.

The tvp has no fat, and about 1 gram of fiber per rehydrated ounce.

bikini bod
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I have never heard of rinsing ground meat. I drain it in a collander but thats its. Wow! you learn something new everyday.

murphmitch
01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I do this all the time. I actually saw it demonstrated on a news program as an effective way to reduce the fat content.

Heffalump
01-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Ha! This thread came at the right time for me. Never heard of rinsing ground beef before, but that's because I usually use lean ground turkey or chicken. But my lovely husband has brought home a family pack of ground chuck (now I remember why I do 99% of the grocery shopping - he also bought a bag of Cheetos) that I'm planning to turn into a chili tomorrow, and this tip will save me so much grief, not to mention sat fat calories. Thanks! :carrot:

Chelby29
01-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Leaner ground beef is very expensive. Rinsing cheaper beef is a way to save money and calories. Do it all the time!

Warning: I have plugged up my sink not using enough hot water to rinse.

Su-Bee
01-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks Kaplods - I am definitely going to start doing that! We get our meat by the side of beef from some local farmers - and we always have SO MUCH ground beef in the freezer that I am scared to eat b/c of the calorie content. This will help a lot (plus, seriously, I think the beef will now last FOREVER instead of merely almost forever!).

kaplods
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Glad to help Su-Bee. Hubby and I are both very overweight, and dieting on a pretty tight budget, so it's a thing to celebrate when we find a way to save money, calories AND time.

And it definitely does save time. I often make the tvp mixture in a large dutch oven, and brown 3 lbs of beef and 3 cups or more of tvp (so the equivalent of 6 or more lbs of browned, ground beef). Usually I do season it with onion, celery, garlic, seasoned salt and sometimes green pepper, because almost everything I use it for, is compatible with those seasonings. Freezing it so I can pull out whatever I want, means that whether I'm cooking for company or just myself, I don't have to have leftovers, and many of the dishes I use it for can be made in almost as little time as heating a frozen dinner.

chickybird
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I'll second the tvp. It's awesome, cheap, and tasty. Noone notices when I use it in chili or sloppy joes....

Scarlet Fever
01-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I like the grass-fed ground beef, even though it's a little bit pricier. There's not as much fat on it and there are no hormones or antibiotics added.

cbmare
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Kaplods, I tried to do a search on your tvp. I typed in kaplods and tvp. I kept getting the error message about tvp being too short. Never mind that there were 2 other words in the search. I then put it in " " and it came up with this one.

ARGH!

Could you please post the link to it?

kaplods
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh darn it, I forgot about the four word minimum. I'll just write it here. You can easily double or even triple the recipe as long as you have a pan deep enough that stirring is easy. You can also use any ratio of tvp to ground beef, and any fat content of beef (you can also use other ground meats, I've done it with ground pork) but of course the calorie breakdown would be different.

I buy the tvp in bulk from a healthfood store, it looks like grapenuts cereal.

So, I start browning 1 lb of hamburger, and any seasoning veggies I want to brown with it (usually about 3/4 cup or less of veggies diced small, in any combination -onions, celery, bell pepper and once in a while mushrooms). When the hamburger has released some of it's fat, so I don't have to worry about sticking, I add 1 cup of dry tvp. I let it cook a few minutes before adding 1 cup of water or broth, and continue to simmer until all of the water is absorbed. I remove it from the heat and let it cool about 15 minutes before putting it in the freezer bags or storage containers. About every 20 minutes or so, I shake the container or smush the storage bag so that the mixture freezes into crumbles. The bags work a little better (freezes into smaller crumbles).

When I use tvp on it's own, I just add 1 cup to a cup and a quarter of hot water or broth to 1 cup tvp. Personally, I don't mind completely meatless tvp, but the tvp/beef mixture definitely does taste better (to a meat eater). My favorite blend is about 1 lb 80% lean beef to 2 cups dry tvp (and 2 cups liquid), but my hubby prefers a blend that is no more than 1 and 1/2 lbs of beef to 2 cups of dry tvp). Basically, I kept adding more tvp every time I made it until he started complaining and then went back to my previous formula.

Amarantha2
02-02-2009, 02:10 AM
I start with 96 percent lean ground beef and cook in old-fashioned pans that stick so I use water instead of fat to cook it in, draining the water as I go until at the end I can let it brown in what fat/water is left. I've tried rinsing it before cooking but that didn't work out for me.

BettyBooty
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I stock up on 93% lean ground beef when it is on sale and don't have a problem with excess grease, so I have never rinsed my beef after cooking.

Thighs Be Gone
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
We don't eat red meat at all but I am very interested in this TVP and have never heard of it. Do you think it could be used with ground turkey as well? Do you have the fat, calories, and sodium content of it Kaplods? Thank you.

nelie
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Thighs,

I don't eat meat but occassionally I'll add TVP to a bean mixture or something.

1 serving (1/4 cup)
80 calories
Fat 0g
Sodium 2 mg

that is for the dry mixture before it expands.

Here is the link to calorieking:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-vegetarian-foods-tvp-textured-vegetable-protein-bobs-red-mill-dry_f-Y2lkPTc0MSZiaWQ9MSZmaWQ9OTUzMDYmZWlkPTM3MTY0MDQ0OC Zwb3M9MSZwYXI9JmtleT10dnA.html

Thighs Be Gone
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you! :) I am going to figure out what it will save me cost wise and calorie wise with my ground turkey. We have ground turkey 2-3 times a month. I am really into bean mixtures myself--patties and hummus mostly. Do you add the TVP to save calories or what on the bean mixture?

nelie
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I mostly add TVP to up the protein a bit and just to give it a different texture. TVP is pretty cheap, you can buy it bulk at Whole Foods. My bean mixtures are basically like chili, a couple cans of various beans, some diced tomatoes, some diced onions, diced bell peppers, etc simmered on the stove for 20 minutes or so. If adding tvp, you'll want to add a little bit of water or veggie broth because the water from the diced tomatoes isn't enough

kaplods
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Rinsing beef before cooking wouldn't remove any fat, because the fat is still solid at that point.

Thighs Be Gone
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Nelie, I do my chili the same as yours basically. I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and chili powder. Aww, I was just at Whole Foods yesterday!

eviemc
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
You can get tvp at a website called Emergency Essentials. They have dried foods in bulk. It is cheap and for a large family like mine works well.

We have alos been using ground turkey, which I love. However I came across a sale at Target, they had ground beef for .75 per lb so I stocked up and I will be rinsing away as much fat as possible.