Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #1  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm addicted to food

I finally know for sure that this is true. I am seriously prone to having an addictive personality, my mother is a (recovering) alcoholic, all my aunts and uncles are alcoholic, my grandpa died from alcoholism. Because of this I've always been wary of drinking, but I finally realized that I haven't avoided becoming an addict. I feel powerless over my cravings. I'll do really well for a few weeks then just binge like crazy. There is something about the near sick feeling you get after stuffing your face that soothes me in a weird way. But its not just that, when you're eating you don't have to think about things. It distracts me. I have been stuck between 162-157 since early November. I can't seem to move passed this. So what am I going to do when I need to distract myself? Not sure yet...

From now on I am going to focus on health more than weight. I tried to do this before but I was still obsessing over the scale. I am going to stop eating less than I should. From now on I am going to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day, I am going to exercise when I can. I will be leaving my scale at my parents house, that way I can only weigh twice a month when I visit from school.

I am cutting out all the junk I eat. I am going to focus on whole healthy foods. I am sticking with my vegetarian diet, I am going to cut out more dairy. I am going to eat more fruits and vegetables. No more artificial sweeteners.

Here's to a more HEALTHY future.

Last edited by DRose; 01-27-2009 at 05:16 PM.
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I have a smiliar family history. Tons of addicts and I have always been aware of addictive tendancies, at least the obvious ones like drugs and alchohol. But you forget that an addiction can come in any form, work, food, relationships, whatever. I feel the same way about binging, there is something comforting and relaxing about it. I think it's because a) most are carb filled foods that actually do give you that high and b) I totally associate those foods with pleasant memories from when I was a child.

I don't have the magic answer but lately I have been just drinking a ton of tea after dinner, it really does help! It's comforting and for some reason it stops me from eating. I like flavored herbal teas like raspberry and fruity ones. Give it a try, can't hurt!

Last edited by cooperistic; 01-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

I was looking for a new diet today. AND it occurs to me that no diet is going to help me. its about portion and exercise.I am a food addict too.I eat for many reasons ,none of which is hunger!
SO I am just going to try and eat healthy, drop the junk, and maybe move around .
I have started drinking what I call a bucket of water everyday and eating fruit and having smoothies.I like veges more than meat so giving up meat is no biggie.
I hope we both have good luck with dropping the bad habits !

Last edited by cartp; 01-27-2009 at 06:16 PM.
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/153/145

Height: 5'9"

I actually went vegan for roughly the same reasons. After I lost 80 pounds I was OBSESSED with food (not that I wasn't before, just in a different way). I couldn't go to a restaurant without feeling like my world was collapsing, I cried after I ate badly a few times, and had panic attacks in school the class before lunch from worrying about the foods to avoid. It was terrible. Food had taken over my world. For other reasons, I had begun to think about going vegetarian (mainly because I'm an animal lover and I had to watch a graphic hunting video and I almost threw up) and eventually decided to be vegan after learning more about the industry in America, its effects on the environment, etc. It really taught me that food isn't only about weight. Its about your lifestyle, your health, and your fuel to do everything you need and want to do. Obviously it hasn't erased my issues completely (I'm here! haha) but it really changed my perspective and gave food a different meaning to me.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/222.5/165

Height: 5'7

I feel the same way. If only good tasteing food was illegal, right, lol?! But it isn't and I have to spend all my willpower sometimes just walking away. It might work once or twice, but it eventually gets me. I feel guilty when I eat, but good lord I LOVE FOOD!!!!!! I feel so good when I am tasteing sweets, or when I have a bag of chips. But it is killing me now because of the MRC diet. I keep telling myself that I wil be able to eat, but what good is that doing me?! So far this site is helping me, cause I know now for sure that I am not alone in my cravings and weakness'! Thank God for 3 Fat Chicks and friend!!!!!!

junebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem. HAve you checked out the compulsive eaters thread on this site? As someone on here said, veganism helped me too! When I'm not eating the foods, I don't crave them! If you want to PM, feel free. I have my fair share of twelve step issues. Lol!
PeatrixPotter is offline   Reply With Quote