100 lb. Club - What "Plan" Do You Follow?

View Full Version : What "Plan" Do You Follow?

hpnodat
01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Why do you like it?

How long have you been on it and how much weight have you lost?

redreine
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm currently still searching.

I lost my first 8 pounds in a week by cutting out soda.

TJFitnessDiva
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I've been doing Weight Watchers since May 2008...my ticker has my updated amount lost :)

hpnodat
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow! 8 lbs just for cutting out soda. Congrats!

I really don't drink much soda, if I do drink it I try to drink diet.

I need to do low carb due to different health issues (it was recommended) but I'm not sure which way to go. I can read all the books in the world about low carb but what I'd really like it what peoples personal experiences have been.

Daimere
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Weight Watchers. I lost 80 lbs with it in 2006 for 6 months. I restarted it on the 6th and I've lost 12.6 lbs. I love WW. It is easy to remember the points. It works with me and gives me choices if I am eating out. It encourages healthy habits for life that even when I was off plan, I still used. It is one of the few programs that encourages exercise which is integral.

bargoo
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I am a calorie counter. This is a reliable, flexible way to diet. All diets in some way restrict calories. Calorie counting is also free and a way to prepare yourself for maintaining your weight loss. I plan all meals ahead of time staying within my calorie allotment. I have done other diets and find Calorie counting works best for me.

kelly315
01-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Calorie counting. It gives you freedom to eat what you want, so you don't feel deprived.

I've been on this diet for just over 5 months, and I've lost 60+ pounds.

hpnodat
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
The last diet I paid for ended up costing me close to a thousand dollars after it was all over with and I never lost a pound. I vowed to never pay for another diet again. This is one of the reasons why I have not looked into weight watchers. I know plenty of people that have successfully lost weight on WW but I just want something that is free. Like what bargoo said, counting calories is free. I'm tired of spending money on "diets". I need a way of life.

hpnodat
01-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I am a calorie counter. This is a reliable, flexible way to diet. All diets in some way restrict calories. Calorie counting is also free and a way to prepare yourself for maintaining your weight loss. I plan all meals ahead of time staying within my calorie allotment. I have done other diets and find Calorie counting works best for me.

Calorie counting. It gives you freedom to eat what you want, so you don't feel deprived.

So how many calories/day do you consume? Do you worry about fat too?

Lori259
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
calorie counting also,It teaches you to eat what you have at home but smaller or healthier portions . I started 11-11-08 And have lost 31.5 lbs
I by far think the best thing is IT"S FREE ~AND I NOW KNOW HOW TO ALWAYS LOSE THE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF.(You are just teaching yourself how to eat normal Which IS A lesson I defintely needed to learn.)

Lori259
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
oops nearly forgot I eat 1400 calories daily.
I walk indoors approx. 1 hr or 1 &1/2 hrs A day for exercise And do my normal daily chores (I am a stay at home mom)A good site for help and info is www.freedieting.com I use the left hand side of this site.

redreine
01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I would like to add the additional question of what do you do to/ how do you exercise?

Especially for calorie counters. Surely you aren't losing all that weight by just cutting down, are you?
If so, that's amazing!
(If not, it's still amazing. Bravo!)

BarbPA
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm a calorie counter. I eat 1600-1800 calories per day. Mostly fruits, veggies, yogurt, cottage cheese, whole grains, lean meats, healthy fats, very little processed food.... I drink a lot of water and I exercise 7 days a week (weight train 3x per week with a personal trainer + cardio). I've lost ~86 pounds since August first. :)

nelie
01-26-2009, 11:01 PM
I actually just started weight watchers because I'm horrible at calorie counting but counting points seems doable.

My weight loss so far has been from switching to a whole foods diet, cutting out a lot of junk in my diet, monitoring how much I eat, cutting out refined carbs, eating 'good' carbs. I based a lot of my eating habits on the south beach diet. Last year, I decided to give up animal products, sadly it didn't result in weight loss but I like it.

I agree that exercise has helped tremendously as well.

Puccikat
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow, first off I am so inspired by everyone here. I started a meal delivery plan today thru ediets. I have a busy schedule and I don't have a clue when it comes to cooking. So I am hoping that by sticking with this for a few weeks I can learn and see what the right portions are and what to buy in supermarkets. And hopefully I can become a 'calorie counter' cus the ediets is kinda expensive. But as far as calories goes i'm consuming about 1500/day.

djay
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I have been doing Medifast since June. Having had minimal success and re-gaining in the past on weight watchers and Jenny craig and calorie counting. I had to really think about where I had failed and how to break the cycle.

I liked that Medifast had been around for 25 years and had been the subject of several successful studies. It also provided what I needed to be successful for the long haul that it would take to loose 100 lbs. That is.

1. It was medically proven to be safe.
2. It gave me a clean break from foods I could not get control over. Sort of a de-tox from junk food.
3. It relieved my cravings.
4. It teaches me to eat small meals throughout the day and gets me used to eating alot of vegetables.
5.When the weight loss portion is over it re-teaches me how to eat healthy choices.
6. I could loose noticible weight consistantly so that I don't get discouraged and give up.

I have lost 80 lbs. so far. After going through the Medifast maintenance program, I plan to join weight watchers for the support until I feel comfortable making the right food choices on my own.

Daimere
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I would like to add on the exercise question: I started out at 15 min WATP and then progressed to 45 minutes and hour when I am feeling particularly pumped. Right now, I haven't exercised for losing the 12.6 lbs. I just don't have the energy with having 18 hour days hardly at home.

cfmama
01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I count calories using FITDAY and consume an average of 1800 a day. I also calorie cycle so have high and low days. I eat a whole foods diet and concentrate of getting over 100 grams of protein every day. I try to limit fat to less than 30% as well. Lots of whole grains, fruits/veg, lean proteins, good dairy and healthy fats.

I've been "dieting" (but this is for life) for 4 months TOMORROW! and I've lost 68 lbs :)

I exercise but not as much as I should. I do yoga and walk three-five times a week.

TJFitnessDiva
01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
For exercise I do it 5 days a week....I combine cardio (running/jogging 3 miles a day now, pilates & bellydancing) and strength (free weights)

If I don't exercise when I'm supposed to I feel like I missed out lol It's been a very important part of my WL journey.

My WL is starting to slow down but it's mainly my fault for splurging (my brother left for Germany recently & Mardi Gras is starting up) so I've buckled myself down :)

irishsarah
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I am using Alli, so I am cautious about how much fat I am consuming but I am not counting anything.
I need to change the way I see food in general. Stopping or limiting the mindless grazing I have been doing is a big first step!

Right now for excersize, I grab my hand weights and sort of march in place for 20-25 minutes. I also have a pilates DVD that I will do. That's 20 minutes. Somedays I do both. Somedays, I do one or the other but I try my hardest to do some sort of excersize everyday.

I have 4 little boys and am a stay at home mom so, there is all of that too.

It is hard. My youngest is only 6 months old and he does NOT nap. The three year old loves lots of attention too.

Now that it is tax time, I will get to join the recreation centre! All sorts of new excersize opportunities are going to open up for me soon! :carrot:

lottie63
01-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I would like to add the additional question of what do you do to/ how do you exercise?

Especially for calorie counters. Surely you aren't losing all that weight by just cutting down, are you?
If so, that's amazing!

I'm a calorie counter. I do 1400 cals a day and at the moment I do not excersize. I plan on starting once I lose 11 more lbs. (That was the last weight I felt a little 'healthier' at, and able to excersize without feeling like I'd just fall over dead.)

I've lost 28 lbs, but I started on other diet and they didn't work well though I lost about 13 lbs it took FOR EV AR. Now I'm back to good ole' calorie counting which always works, now if I would just STICK TO IT! LOL

This time is for good!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-27-2009, 08:48 AM
I lost my 30 pounds on Southbeach. I love that Southbeach taught me how to eat clean. Now, I do a combination of SB and calorie counting.

Smiling_Sara
01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Why do you like it?

Counting calories. Lost 70-odd lbs in about 14 months. Been a slow journey, but so worth it. I've never had to cut anything completely from my "diet" just make sure it fits into my allowed calories for the day....

pick7499
01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm going ww......in 06 I lost 40lbs in 4 months....
I just started 2 weeks ago and go for my 2nd weigh in tonight.

time2lose
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I am also calorie counting. I use a range - 1300 to 1800 a day with an average of 1500/day over a week's time. My weight loss has not been as rapid as some members of this forum but it has been steady at 1 to 2 pounds a week. I am older than most of our members so I suspect this is why my loss has been slower.

I have analyzed my failures of the past while on this journey. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. My changes from past efforts:

Diligence – write every bite in a food log and count those calories
Water – It is amazing what a difference 6 to 8 glasses of water makes
Vegetables – I have always been a meat and potatoes person. I make sure to get at least 2 or 3 servings of vegetables a day.

I was not able to exercise much at first but now I am walking. I use a pedometer to count steps. Each month I bump up my daily number of steps. I have gone from about 1000 steps a day to 5000 a day.

Hope this helps! My best advise is chose a plan that makes sense to you and stick with it. You can do this!

kiki100
01-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm on Nutrisystem since Sept (08) and have lost 50lbs. I had tried Atkins, WW and just cutting back but hadn't been successful. I decided I wanted to use a program that took the guess work out for me. I like NS because it's easy. I always doubted these meal delivery diets wondering what they taught you but the first lesson I learned was portion control, I've also learned the importance of vegetables (which I knew but I don't love them so I always avoided them) and how they help keep me full. When I'm done with NS (in a couple more months I think) I will likely take what I've learned and try WW again or possibly calorie counting. Either way I have a substantial loss to support me and that's what keeps me from straying, not wanting to sabotage myself.

The best program is different for everybody...best of luck choosing yours!!!

Beverlyjoy
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi - I do a mish-mosh of different things. It's basically calorie counting combined with mindful eating,meditation and guided imagery. I do mostly stretches and strengthening exercises. I have a recumbent bike.

Last year I actually got down to 192 - then I reinjured my foot - I had a difficult time and gain alot back.

But, like my Margaret Thatcher said, "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."

wchs2007
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I count calories and Fat.. I just started Alli also.
I walk a mile 3 days a week. I have a gazelle that I am trying to like. I just do not feel I get a good work out with it. I use to love the elliptical. I am trying to justify buying one..lol

Lori259
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM

If so, that's amazing!

REDREINE I would like to comment,I lost 13.3 my first month with no exercise Just by cutting down calories to 1400~I Was losing so quickly I didn't wanna look all saggy when I am done so I started with my walking. (3 times a day 20 minutes each ~Now I usually walk 45 minutes 2 times a day just in my home 7 days a week sometimes 5 days a week from my living room to my kitchen~Nothing major~I have severe asthma and its hard to do much more for me at moment) I also wanted to add the below thing (I KNOW MANY HAVE SEEN ME POST THIS ~I AM DOING IT AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION~BECAUSE I FOUND IT EXTREMELY HELPFUL~GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :goodluck:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight management may be difficult to achieve, but it certainly is not difficult to understand. When you consume food or drink, you consume calories. Your body burns calories to function, burning significantly more calories when you exercise. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.
Because your body requires energy simply to stay alive, you burn calories even when you are not exercising. In fact, you burn calories directly in proportion to your body weight. On average, a male burns 11 calories per day per pound of body weight. The average female burns 10 calories per day per pound of body weight. These figures are just averages. Some people will be higher or lower, since everyone's metabolism is a little different. Fitness Record allows you to specify the value which is appropriate for you. If you don't know, it is suggested that you start by using the average value for your gender.
For example, if John weighs 150 pounds, he burns approximately 150 x 11 = 1,650 calories per day. If he exercises, he will burn additional calories on top of that, depending on the exercise activity. However, if he does not exercise, he must eat 1,650 calories per day, just to maintain his body weight. If he eats more, he will gain weight. If he eats less, he'll lose weight.
For the purpose of calculating expected weight gain/loss, one pound is 3,500 calories. Each time you consume an extra 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. For example, Jane weighs 130 pounds, never exercises, and eats exactly 1,400 calories every day. Her metabolism is burning 1,300 calories per day, so she are consuming an extra 100 calories each day. If she does this indefinitely, she will gain a pound in 35 days, since 35 * 100 = 3,500.
Fitness Record uses another term, called Behavioral Weight. The idea is that over the long term, your weight is determined by your behaviors, and is best illustrated by example. Consider Jane above, who eats 1,400 calories per day. After 35 days of this behavior, she will weigh 131, instead of 130. This means her metabolism will burn slightly more calories than before. If she continues to eat 1,400 calories every day, she will continue to gain weight, but at a slightly slower pace. Eventually, she will weigh 140, at which time her metabolism will be burning 1,400 calories every day. At this point, she will stop gaining weight, since she is consuming the same number of calories that she burns. Therefore, by eating 1,400 calories in a day, Jane is behaving like a 140 pound person. Her "behavioral weight" is 140.
Exercise contributes to your calories burned. If Jane were to exercise, burning an additional 100 calories each day, then her calories burned would be in balance with her calories consumed. She could eat 1,400 calories per day, exercise 100 calories per day, and continue to way 130 indefinitely.
You may now be asking, "Why can't I just eat low fat foods?" You can eat whatever you want. But, non-fat foods can still have calories. Check the food label to find out if eating the non-fat version of a food is really saving you any calories -- sometimes it's not. Many programs recommend moderating your dietary fat intake, and that is obviously good advice. Eating low-fat foods happens to be an excellent guideline for keeping your calorie intake low. In addition, moderating your dietary fat intake may contribute to your health in other ways. However, it will not alter the mathematics of weight management -- you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.
The problem with the way the human body works is that calories counting is tedious and difficult. Most weight-loss programs, as well as the so-called "fad diets", focus on other guidelines which are simpler to follow than calorie counting. However, none of these guidelines alter the underlying principles of weight management.

DCHound
01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Atkins. I've been on Induction (<20 grams of carb/day) since 8/14/2008 and I'm on track to lose 100 lbs the first six months, which will be Valentine's Day. I have another 100+ lbs to lose after that.

This is my third time on Atkins. I was successful the first two times--maintained the first loss for four years--but then life intervened and I went off Atkins and gained it all back the second time. It's different this time because I'm not depressed and I'm doing this for me, because I'm worth it.

I think any plan can be successful if you 1) love yourself, 2) know you are worth it, and 3) understand that it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet "until you get down to X lbs then you can go back to eating X, Y and Z."

I am a carbohydrate addict, so I finally have accepted and dealt with the fact that moderation does not work for me. I have to totally avoid starch and sugar for the rest of my life. And that's OK, because I also finally understand that food is neither a punishment or a reward. It's just food. The only power it has over me is the power I give it. And I elect not to give it anymore power over me.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

LesliesMom
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I calorie count, I don't at all feel like I CAN'T have anything this way, I just have to make sure I have room in my budget for it. I need to implement excercise into my routine as well and it's sad I don't since I have a treadmill and eliptical in my basement right infront of a big screen tv and I have a wii fit. I just need to make it a priority. My daughter is almost three and she's at a babysitter for 10 hours a day, when I get home from work I just want to hang out with her after dinner until she goes to bed at 9. I just need to get off my butt and go work out at 9.

Lori - Thanks for posting that article. I have printed it and put it with the other documents I have found helpful on this journey.

Angie

Lori259
01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Your welcome Angie ~It was very helpful to me also.
I am assuming Thats your daughter in the avatar picture she is SOOOOOOOOO CUTE!I have 3 kids Ages 15,10, & 8 THEY ARE ALL SO PRECIOUS!

LesliesMom
01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Yep, that's my daughter in all her glory. She's right behind me in the people I need to be healthy for list.

Congrats - you've lost over 30 pounds!!!!! Good for you!

Angie

Willow98248
01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I am on Atkins. Started at the begining of the year. I have lost 13 lbs so far. It is working really well for me.

Hopefulpinkangel
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I do Weight Watchers, even though I have tried many other things WW just works best for me. I go to the meetings too which helps.

H8cake
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I count calories too. I started out not worrying so much about what I ate as long as it fit into my calorie limits. Now I am much more careful what I eat. I try to make the calories whole foods as much as possible. I get more volume of food that way and I feel so much better. I am careful with carb's because I am sensitive to them. I try to stick with whole grains and stay away from the processed stuff.
I mostly walk or jog for exercise, five days a week at least 30 minutes sometimes 45 minutes. I have a treadmill and I keep raising the incline. I started with it flat and am on a 9% incline now and I go as fast as I can. I like to jog/walk outside. We have some beautiful walking trails here which make that fun.

DishyFishy
01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I started eating low-carb at the beginning of November. My average daily composition is 20 to 25g of carbs, protein (20-25%) and fat (around 70%). My carbs all come from nuts, seeds, dairy, and veggies, so there really isn't anything much to count up. (Although I pay no attention to kcals, my tracking software shows I average around 1900 kcals a day.)

I previously lost 70 pounds on 1600 kcals a day, but found that I couldn't sustain the low-cal WOE. Once the initial enthusiasm and "high" of losing weight wore off, I felt deprived and hungry, and gained it all back again. :rolleyes:

I'm finding that replacing carbs with healthy fats keeps me feeling satisfied. Apart from one episode of overeating almonds (and that was only having three ounces instead of just one), I've been totally on plan with no binges. That's a big thing for me, and the same couldn't be said when I was restricting calories.

The thing is, finding a plan that fits is a personal thing. There isn't a universal formula that will work for everyone.

Hope you find the one that'll bring you success, hpnodat. :)

Redflame
01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I am a firm believer in calorie counting and never cutting out a particular food group, our bodies really do need them. Limited processed foods, try to have 90% real/whole foods (brown rice, not white minute rice etc)

I like sparkspeople.com for my calorie counting source. It is a free site and will set up a plan specific to your weight, age, height, and activity level. It will give you guidlines to how much calories, carbs, fat, protiens etc you should have in a day......and you can look at your past week or month and see how you are doing, at any time. It also has meal suggestions, according to your personalized plan, when you need help coming up with new menu ideas. Once you start using it you will find it is very easy to use.

I also like Alli, but I cannot take it in the winter because the cold, dry air effects my skin so much I have to up my fat intake in the winter, so I just make sure I have healthy fats, like almonds, avacados, olive oil, etc. With Alli it works great! BUT you have to be a dedicated planner and calorie/fat counter or you will have the gross stories you hear happen to you. You have NO side effects if you use it according to their plan---no brainer you would think, but I know people who use it, have peperoni pizza and milk shakes and then wonder why they have treatment effects---or worse yet deal with the treatment effects thinking they are doing something great for thier body---anyway.......

DishyFishy
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I am a firm believer in calorie counting and never cutting out a particular food group, our bodies really do need them.
Assuming you're referring to carbohydrate, pardon me if you were not, why do you believe our bodies require that we eat it?

I ask because I used to think the same thing until I started researching how our bodies metabolise the food we ingest. The evidence is very firmly in the corner of fats and proteins being the essential macronutrients, not carbohydrates. I'm always willing to read any reports that argue the contrary though. :)

lalique
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Wow thats amazing! I'm trying to figure out how to count calories, but I'm having a hard time figureing out how many calories I should eat everyday... How do you do this???

redreine
01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
kelly, you are definitely an inspiration. Could we maybe get a sample idea of a day's worth of mealplanning for you?

raebeaR
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Ok, I'm usually pretty long-winded and I'm sorry about that, but I have to share my story.

I'm nearly 52. I feel like I've been trying to figure out how to lose weight since I was 27 and my thyroid went on the fritz. I've done WW, calorie counting, Jenny Craig... I've had limited success with all of them, some of them even helping me to keep weight off for a couple of years. But always, in the end, my cravings would win out. I was ALWAYS hungry.

I was fairly slim when I married the love of my life in early 2002. But my husband loved to eat, and he loved to eat things that packed the pounds on me. I gained, oh, 90 or so pounds during our marriage. They were also the worst things for him. In late 2007, he suffered an unexpected fatal heart attack while he was out of town on business. My world got knocked out from underneath me in an instant and I turned to food as comfort. I love my glass of wine each night after the work day is done, too.

The last 15 months were pretty rough, but with respect to my weight, I stuck between 250-260 lbs. I was left with a large property and a lot of animals... between shoveling poo, keeping a large vegetable garden, stacking wood, mowing lawns, digging weeds, bucking hay bales, doing housework, etc., I seem to fit in a bit of exercise.

Anyway... fast forward to the beginning of 2009. The haze is clearing, and what is reflected in the mirror is rather horrifying. Time to give it another try.

I'd noticed over the past year that when I turned to food for comfort, I always grabbed up the simple carbs: The white bread, the cake, the cookie, the soothing mashed potatoes and gravy, the pasta. There had to be something to this carb addiction stuff. I started looking around on 3FC for a diet that would severely limit the bad stuff. I found South Beach.

Now, I need to tell you, I didn't expect it to work. I hadn't read the book; I really didn't understand the principles. I figured this would just be another half-hearted stab at weight loss that I'd conveniently give up within a couple of weeks. But I wanted to find out about this connection between simple carbs and cravings, and heck, Phase I was only for 2 weeks.

Within 2 days, I was down with the South Beach Flu: A little headache, a general feeling of malaise. But by Day 5, the cravings were gone. Disappeared. Finit-o. It's as if someone handed me a golden key to a door I'd never seen before. And gone they stay. I can do this forever!!!!

I finally read the book at the end of the first week, and like someone else here calls it, SB is the "Duh Diet." (I'm sorry I can't recall who said this; had I remembered, I would have given credit!) It makes total sense to me, and it's working great. It's not low carb, but it's complex-healthy carb. After the first 2 weeks, you start adding in things, going at your own pace, and find the balance that works for you.

I work from home, and there is no real structure to my day. The Snack Room is only steps away. All my life, I was practically thinking about the next thing I could eat as I was swallowing the last thing I ate. That compulsion is gone. GONE. I have my breakfast, start work and often work for 6-7 hours before I realize I'd better go have a snack. And the whole day is like this. Food no longer controls me. That is such a new feeling, I can't even convey my sense of wonder over it!

I'm in my second week of Phase II, have lost 15 pounds and I know... KNOW I am going to succeed this time.

Good luck in finding what works best for you! I encourage you to give South Beach a hard look. :hug:

Rae

Bee20nine
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I have been on weight watchers since April 08, and i have lost 47 lbs. I love it, its easy for me to stick to and I can truly have whatever I want. However, I make the choice in how I want to spend my points, and some things now are just not worth it to eat.

foxxy511
01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Add me to the WW list! Since I started doing it seriously (writing down what I ate, not snacking constantly, counting EVERYTHING) I have lost almost 90lbs in a little over 6 months. I don't go to meetings though, I'm not even an official member, I just use my mom's stuff. (I hope the paying members don't hate me for that!)

But, I like it because it's easier for me to figure out than calorie counting..I don't know why, it just is, lol. But, like Bee said, I can have whatever I want, as long as I count it and I've come to find that somethings just aren't worth using points for.

If you'd of told me a year ago that I'd be eating salads now (simple ones with spinach, tomatoes, carrots, and FF dressing) because they're low on points, I would have laughed in your face and told you salads were for rabbits. Now, I eat one almost everyday! Funny how tastes and ideas change...lol

nicki rose98
01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm also a calorie counter. I eat 1900 cals per day. I figured this out by going to a website and entering my information. It recommended how many calories I should eat per day. I started 01.04.09 and so far have lost 11 pounds. I also do cardio 3x week for 30 min and strength training 3x week.

Glory87
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Why do you like it?

I created my own plan. Basically, I eat mostly whole foods and count calories. I lost a little over 70 lbs and have kept it off for 4 years.

I also found out that cutting processed foods - particularly crackers, chips, cookies, packaged baked goods, pretzels, etc etc eliminated a lot of my cravings. I didn't really realize I was "addicted" to eating more and more of these foods until I started limiting them. Don't get me wrong, I like the way they taste - but I don't like their effect on me. I would prefer to avoid them!

Lori259
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Just as an added help for Those interested in calorie counting ~I am trying to answer most questions ect I saw.
as for how to count them Most packaged food have the amount of calories on the back of the package.Example 1 slice of cheese is 60 calories 1 Hamburger bun 140 calories (these are on the type I use from my local save-a-lot grocery store.) For things not marked You can go to www.calorieking.com
Or there is other helpful sites also.I know the some one specifically wanted An examle of Kelly's Food For the day And I am not Kelly Obviously But Here is an examle of a normal day of what I eat While counting 1400 calories A day~REMEMBER CERTAIN BRANDS ECT MAY VARY ON AMOUNTS OF CALORIES)( Kelly may eat healthier Or different totally than me~I just thought I would add some examples ect incase she didn't repost~I AM SOOO PROUD OF HER SHE HAS LOST OVER 60 lbs! In I think she said in like 5 months I am on about approx 2 & 1/2 months and have lost 31.5 SO I HOPE I HAVE MUCH SUCCESS AS SHE HAS WHEN I REACH 5 months also~WAY TO GO KELLY!)

Breakfast~ Bowl of cereal~Frosted flakes 3/4 cup 120 calories 1 Cup of milk 120 calories Total of 240 calories

Snack~Rice Crispie treat 90 calories

1 piece of candy (habit from quitting smoking 20 calories)
-----------------------------------------------------
TOTAL FOR BREAKFAST & SNACK=350 calories
-----------------------------------------------------

Lunch 1/2 Totinos brand boxed Sausage pizza 360 calories( I LOVE PIZZA)

A WHOLE CAN Of Yellow Cling peaches 105 calories total
(3.5 servings per can 30 calories per serving Is what they say on back so you times 3.5 X 30=105 Just said as example For those who do not know how to get calorie totals)

Snack Sugar free jello Whole Box (4 servings X10 =40 calories Total)
With a Whole banana ( Pretty Small) =70 calories (I goofed my typing last time So I corrected this part Sorry.)
------------------------------------------------------
Total for Lunch & snack=575 calories

Dinner
Boca burger (120 calories) On hamburger bun (140 calories) With slice of cheese(60 calories)
1 teaspoon of ketchup(20 calories)
2 Servings of Blue lake French style green beans (2 servings 20 calories x2=40)

Snack Rice Crispie treat 90 calories

TOTAL FOR DINNER & SNACK=470 calories
--------------------------------------------------
Add 470
+ 350
______

GRAND TOTAL OF 1395 Calories for my day

(For drinks I drink mostly water~But have a diet caffeine free soda a day with lunch usually everyday-0 calories)

(I eat different things Also But this Is what I ate today)

redreine
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks a lot. That really helps. :)

hpnodat
01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Lori259,

So you just count calories? You do not count fat?

I'm kinda confused. :dizzy:

Thin4Good
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I am on South Beach. I've lost about 46 pounds since July. I don't think I'll have a problem doing this forever.

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Lori259,

So you just count calories? You do not count fat?

I'm kinda confused. :dizzy:

Yes~I just count calories only. (counting everything else is complicated to me & confusing to me as well ~Which some people do But isn't for me)Just plain counting calories only definetly works! Plus its Easy to do.

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks a lot. That really helps. :)

Your welcome & goodluck!

hpnodat
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes~I just count calories only. (counting everything else is complicated to me & confusing to me as well ~Which some people do But isn't for me)Just plain counting calories only definetly works! Plus its Easy to do.

interesting...

:chin:

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:24 AM
interesting...

:chin:

I am not sure what your weight/sex/height ect is but There is different sites you can place all that info into there calculators and it will give you a calorie amount to start out with~Most of the time its around 1800~I am able to handle the 1400 and was super obese(Still hanging there) so My doctor said 1400 calories was ok and would help me personally to lose quicker,Since I have severe asthma that the weight aint helping.But starting on a higher calorie level is fine Especially for those who can & do exercise more than I do.(Because I am very limited)

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
some of the sites that will help with amount of calories to eat ect. are as follows Then you can decide whats good for you.( I read its not safe to go under 1200 calories a day & that its better to start above that number if possible.(but Im no expert)
www.caloriescount.com (You do not have to sign up just click start now on box on left upper corner that says Free diet assessment start now)

Another one you can use is www.freedieting.com
(go to left hand side again go to calculators section and click calorie needs.)
There is alot of great stuff you can use on this site!

mariamherrera
01-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I am also a calorie counter! Prior to this time around I'd tried atkins and south beach.. and the correct ways as well as outlined in the orignal books written by dr atkins.. and yes it worked I wont lie.. I lost 35 lbs but I was dizzy, had head aches, had horrible cravings all the time, the urge to cheat constantly although i didn't.. until one day I was fed up with feeling so dizzy all the time.. Low carb may work for some but it didn't work for me... It's not a way I could live my life forever...I feel it's too restrictive and regardless of what people think you do need good healthy carbs to have a balanced diet! whole grains brown rice, sweet potatoes, oat meal- these thigns are good for you!

I used to think calorie counters were so annoying I vowed to never be one.. and then I realized the concept of calorie counting is the way people should live their lifes anyways it's the way any normal healthy person should eat.. that's the great part about calorie counting there's not induction or cleansing period... you just start living life the way you will forever! and nothing is off limits!!! you just find healthy alternatives or portion control...

I drink plenty of water and as of right now I am NOT exercising (due to an injury, I will once I'm healed) - nor do I watch my fat or sodium or carb intake I solely calorie count and I have lost 23 lbs in in 6 weeks :D and my husband had lost 25 in 6 weeks! I eat anywhere from 1400-1600 typically some times I calorie cycle and will go as low as 1300's and as high as 1700- but typically 1400-1600

PS- the best calorie counting websites are www.thedailyplate.com or www.fitday.com or www.sparkpeople.com -I find the daily plate to be the best and most accurate but the others are good as well!

hpnodat
01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
thanks

I'm female, 5'0", and about 250-265lbs not sure as I have not weighed myself yet.

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:47 AM
AWESOME MARIAM!!! You and your hubby are doing fabulous!

Lori259
01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Ok now please remember that these just give estimates so I checked for you and the www.freedieting.com (with little or no exercise says you can eat 2120 calories a day and still lose weight.Thats at being 265 lbs age 30 female 5 ft tall.
The other site www.caloriescount.com says 1794(same things placed in So they both vary in range.
I would recommend maybe 1800 to 1900 a day and see how that goes if you choose to be a calorie counter.Then if you can do a little less ask your doctor and see what they recommend for you.

hpnodat
01-28-2009, 01:05 AM
I have never actually tried just counting calories before. I have tried counting everything and it was very overwhelming. I may try it for a while and see how it goes. I need to do some thinking on it first. But thanks for all your information.

cfmama
01-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Another example of a 1500 calorie diet (I cycle but today was my low day) with a whole/less processed foods approach.

B- 1 cup Optimum slim cereal with 1 whole fat yogurt cup, all fruit source bar

L- baked 3 oz salmon fillet, 1 cup brussells sprouts, 1 oz mozza cheese

s- 2 sour dough wasa bread, 2 T black pepper and lime hummus, medium orange

D- 1 cup stirfried chicken breast (no oil) 3 cups stirfried green cabbage, 1 T tangerine lime dressing

s- 22 almonds and medium orange

nicolen
01-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I've tried just about everything in the past. Weightwatchers, South Beach, the latest fad diet in this weeks magazines....

This time I've got my own plan - I'm calorie counting, but paying attention to the GI/GL of my food as well.

Lori259
01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
I have never actually tried just counting calories before. I have tried counting everything and it was very overwhelming. I may try it for a while and see how it goes. I need to do some thinking on it first. But thanks for all your information.

Your welcome....I agree that counting everything would be overwhelming.
IF you do try it Keep in touch. Let me know how it goes for ya.Just click my profile if ya need and message me.
I gotta get some zzzzzzzzzzzz ~My kids get another snow day tommorrow and They have been full of energy. No school here in OHIO ALL WEEK SO FAR.
We are getting Lots of snow and ice~What a mess but My kids are having a blast.:snow4:Good night everyone

doinglunch
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I've been following this plan for three weeks and have lost just shy of 10 pounds. I have found that it is easy to follow and is not expensive to follow.:)

LuvMyMr
01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I use the Richard Simmons food mover. It has never not worked for me. I started November 1, 2008 and am down more than 35 pounds. It's easy to use and I can eat anything even fast food. I just close the windows of a serving of food I eat. I exercise and eat right. I love it. Previous I used him Deal a Meal and that also worked for me but I lost it when I moved. I take it with me everywhere even when I eat out (which is never lol) and I have no shame of whipping it out in a restaurant and I plan my meals for the next day using it.

Leeesa
01-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Weight Watchers, Love it, LOVE.

lalique
01-29-2009, 05:46 AM
I'm not really following any particular plan....
I'm trying to rid myself of my bad habits! Then after that, maybe I'd look more seriously into a "plan"

My bad habits:
I over eat
I'm a junk food / fast food -aholic!
I love candy way too much
I loath fruits & veggies with a great passion!
I lead my life sitting down.
I have a terrible before bedtime eating habit.

So my plan is to:
- Portion control all my foods.
- Cut the junk (including candy!) from my daily life.
- Limit my fast food to once a week, and choose something healthy instead of "my usual"
- Aim for 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day!
- And exercise!

Of course, drinking LOTS and lots of water each day!

I'm way out of shape, so the exercising has been a huge problem area.. But I just keep plugging away at it, and adding more & more time each day, and its slowing but surely getting better!

Recently, I started an account at thedailyplate.com, to record all my foods & exercises. And I'm trying to stay around 1300-1400 calories a day because thats what it recommends for me in order to lose weight at a healthy & safe pace.

Its going very slowly... :(

fractal
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I am on Pierre Dukan's regime; have been following it since Nov. 2007, and apart from 2 lapses (which led to stalling but no yo-yo whatsoever), it is going great. Can't post links yet but it will come up on google if you look for "the dukan diet".
The benefits - fast and steady weight loss, no sagging or stretchmarks (I am 45), no calorie-counting and portion control during the first 2 phases, learning healthy habits of eating, cooking and finding alternative healthier choices, no sugar cravings, sizes drop faster than kilogrammes so self-esteem boost is very rewarding. It is a plan for life as I feel I am changing my food preferences in a natural way, and I have a clear idea not only how to lose the weight, but what I am going to do after the diet. High energy levels because of the protein content - virtually, am going like the Duracell bunny from the get-go.
As to fitness - mainly walking, dancing and considering joining a gym (for the cycle and treadmill).
Very happy with it!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Randi
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
I am a calorie counter - out of everything I have tried - this is the one thing I can stick to.... It allows me the control to decide what I am going to eat. Admittedly in the past - I just did not care for anything telling me what I can or cannot eat. For me - I have to be the one to decide.

I also try to eat as clean as possible. Lots of veggies, whole grains, fruit.

I exercise 5 times a week right now and am trying to work my way towards 6 days a week.

The most important thing is - I am really enjoying the changes I have made, this is something that I know that I can stick with forever.

rainenroses
01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I have been "shakin" since last june And have lost ( i recently gained 5 lbs back so i am SHAKIN again...lol )

i drink SLIM FAST OPTIMA ( not the cans....but the powder mixed w/ skim milk )

some people dont like it but mixed well enough it tastes great and fills me up for several hours .

they are 200 cal ( w/ milk ) and i drink 4 a day . breakfast-lunch-dinner-snack.

i do this all week long and then on the weekends when as a family we go out and about i eat "normal food" ...i just watch what i eat & drink VERY carefully.

oh , i drink flavored water all the time also or if i have the occasional cola it is most definatly DIET ( but i try not to have cola at all )

i found my 1st week of the diet was the worst......so if my head insisted i HAD to eat i made me a cup of soup in a coffee cup and after 1/2 of it i was done.....lol

i have went from a weight of 240 to 209......from a jeans size 24 ( being TIGHT ) to a size 18 being comfy :cheer2:

my goal is to eventually be at a size 12 / weight 150 and wear my dress i was married in on my anniversary "date" with my hubby :cheers:

anywho , i tend to get a bit long winded.....

i so look forward to chatting with you gals

off to shake i go

Angie ( rainenroses )