100 lb. Club - Egg Plant or Brussel Sprouts Anyone???

Kae
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone enjoys egg plant or brussel sprouts...

My mom was a picky eater so I have never tried them and have no idea what they taste like... but I'd like to try some new, healthy veggies.

Does anyone have any recipes to share?

Daimere
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a recipe for brussel sprouts that I will post later.

CruiseCAT
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
OMG.... Brussel sprouts are one of my new favorite foods. I love to roast them with string beans, asparagus, peppers (green, yellow & red) and zucchini. I put 1T olive oil, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 4 T Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper in a ziplock bag. Add veggies and then place on a foil covered and sprayed (PAM) cookie sheet and cook until they start to turn brown.

I cut my brussel sprouts in half, peppers into long strips, and the zucchini slices into quarters.

JayEll
01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Eggplant is good, and it works well in cut into cubes in chunky red sauces like tomato sauce for pasta, or caponata. It's best to peel them. Some people find eggplants have a bitter taste, and that can be fixed by soaking them in salt water ahead of time.

Forget the Brussels sprouts, would be my opinion. I have only had them once in my life that they were yummy. Let me just say, you need to really, really love cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower...

Jay

MindiV
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I love brussel sprouts this way...

Take sprouts (baby ones work best...thawed if froze, or use fresh), cut the ends off and cut them in half.

Brown sprouts in a skillet (you can fry up a couple of pieces of bacon to give flavor, or just use a little butter). Just a few minutes.

Pour in some chicken or beef stock, salt and pepper to taste. Let the sprouts simmer in the stock 10-20 minutes (shorter if you like 'em crunchy, longer if you like 'em soft, like I do)

If you used bacon first...crumble up the bacon on top! SOOOOO good!

S.A.S.H
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Eggplant is good on a sandwich. Cut into thin slices, brush with balsamic vinegerette, add a few slices of roasted red peppers and a portabello mushroom cap, add a slice of cheese if you like. lay on bread of your choice and toast for about 10 mins in the oven

Kae
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks! I know you guys would come through for me..

nelie
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't like the american eggplants (chunky large ones), I do like the japanese and chinese eggplants. The japanese ones tend to be long, slender and dark purple. The chinese ones tend to be similar long, slender but a light purple. They actually have a sweet taste to them. My mom used to pan fry them in olive oil (not really fry, but basically coat pan with some olive oil, then toast them until done). I usually cut them in thin slices and roast them.

Brussel sprouts have always been one of my favorite veggies. If they taste bitter, they need to be cooked longer. I generally steam them in the microwave although sometimes I'll roast them in the oven. It helps to cut them to cook them though.

MugCanDoIt
01-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Ive been needing a good brussel sprout recipe, since I havent tried them since I was a kid, when I hated them. Since Im vegetarian, I need to give them another try. I think I'll get some at the store today. Thanks for the idea!

nicki rose98
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I used to love brussel sprouts but now they put a bad taste in my mouth. Eggplant is usually doable for me. Of course I love it fried!!!!

FB
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I love eggplant as Baba Ganoush. Yum! Better than hummus in my humble opinion. Baba Ganoush is just roasted eggplant, garlic, lemon, spices and tahini. Divine!

Brussel sprouts - I'd eat them if someone cooked them and placed them in front of me. I don't think much about them one way or the other. I've had roasted ones I've liked.

fiberlover
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I am a newbie brussel sprout lover as well, and I am very picky with veggies!

I cut them in half, and roast with a little oil, salt and pepper. Very tasty!

They kind of remind me a broccoli a bit, which I love - so that's probably why I like them.

Michelle98272
01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
All I can think of is Eggplant Parmesan which probably isn't very healthy as it is breaded and then fried. It is good though!

I love brussel sprouts, too. They are really good just lightly steamed. The bad rap they get is from cooking them too long. If you boil the life out of them they stink and taste gross. Steamed for just a few minutes...mmmmmmm !

Sheila53
01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Roasted brussel sprouts, for sure. They're like candy. My DH hated brussel sprouts until I started roasting them. Now that I've started talking about them, I gotta go get some!

nicki rose98
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. Whenever I make them they stink. How do you roast them?

thistoo
01-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Here's how I make Brussel sprouts:

Cut up two pieces raw bacon and spread in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Cut Brussels sprouts in half and spread in pan. Sprinkle with a touch of olive oil, then salt and pepper to taste. Pop them in a 425 degree oven for about half an hour, stirring every ten minutes. The sprouts will caramelize as the bacon cooks, and they are SO delicious. I have been sort of obsessed with them lately, as a matter of fact.

I never used to like Brussels sprouts until I had them roasted, and the bacon really cuts down on the cabbage-y smell, which is a huge bonus.

thistoo
01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
And here's my favorite way to fix eggplant. It's a low-cal version of eggplant parmesan that doesn't require breading or dredging or frying or any of the high-calorie parts of a traditional parm.

Eggplant Parmesan

1 medium-sized eggplant
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ricotta
3 Tbsp parmesan
Italian herbs to taste (I use an Italian herb mix plus some dried basil from my garden)
1 cup mozzarella
½ cup breadcrumbs

Peel and slice eggplant into ¼ inch slices.

In a medium saucepan, boil enough water to cover eggplant (I salted the water before boiling). Remove from heat and add eggplant. Let sit for five minutes. Remove from water and pat dry.

Saute eggplant in a pan with 1 Tbsp olive oil until brown on both sides.

Meanwhile, combine tomato sauce, ricotta, parmesan, and herbs in a small saucepan over medium heat.

Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour half of the tomato sauce mixture over the eggplant. Cover with half a cup of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Top with breadcrumbs and bake in 350 degree over until breadcrumbs are browned and the edges of the casserole are bubbly.

nicki rose98
01-27-2009, 12:10 AM
isn't bacon a not so good thing? or do u use turkey bacon?

rockinrobin
01-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Roasted brussel sprouts are one of my very favorite foods on the planet. My family adores them as well. We eat them every single week. LOTS of them. Yummmmm.

Eggplant. Well the only way I used to like it was dipped in eggs, dredged in bread crumbs, fried in oil and then baked with lots and lots of cheese and marinara sauce.

Since that was out of the question when I changed my life around, I basically stopped eating it. But I was looking for something new to eat recently. I tried it again. I just baked it in the over whole. I mash it up with garlic and onions and tomato. It's very good and very little calories.

TempleBody
01-27-2009, 01:39 AM
I love eggplant. Here's a quick treat or main dish idea.

Take eggplants. Wash and leave peel on. Cut in 1/4 in slices (so it looks like circles). Put in a cake pan and brush with olive oil. Go wild with spices! I like using a Thai Blend, Chipotle Blend, or Tex-Mex blend. Then bake them on 400 for about 30 minutes.They should be soft and brown. Also if you want, it's a good idea to bread them! Yummy.

Another alternative is after breading them and baking them like above, make a batch of Spagetti sauce. You can pour it on top andit's delicious.

If you're really into ethnic cuisine, you can bake the eggplant slices and then put the tomatoe sauce on it andthen put plain yogurt ontop. It's a yummy Afghan inspired dish.

You can also put roasted eggplant in wraps.It's great!
Another thing I like to do is make Chinese Eggplant. They're the long purple ones. I slice them up and toss them in a pan with EVO, onions, and garlic.Then Icook them untillthey're soft by adding a lil bit of water. I then add some premade salsa, red pepper flakes, and Brags Liquid Soy Seasoning. If you're into it you can add honey or molasses (or sugar!). It's kinda like a Sweet, Sour, Spicy eggplant dish.

One last way of making eggplants is like above but instead of adding Asian inspired seasoning you can add Indian inspired seasonings like curry, tumeric, red pepper, ginger, garlic, etc. I like to toss in frozen peas with mine.

Hope those ideas help. To me, as you prob can tell, it's all about the spices!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Here is a great article from Bobby Flay about eggplant. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/28/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main2991638.shtml

I also love roasted Japanese eggplant. Roasted brussel sprouts are yummy.

Please remember, you have to try something several times....something like 16?...before you develop a taste for something. If you don't like these, keep trying. You might find something really healthy that you love.

Also, google some of the vegetarian cooking sites. You can find some great new recipes for veggies that you've never tried before. My oldest daughter decided to become a vegetarian last year, so we did some research and tried a lot of new things. Our eating has definitely changed around here.

Kae
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the tasty ideas.. I'll be sure to test them out after I go grocery shopping this weekend!

Rhonda- thanks for the informative link.. That will help when I go shopping so I know what to look for.

LesliesMom
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I love brussel sprouts and egg plant. My grandma always roasted her brussel sprouts, YUMMY!!!! She just used olive oil and cracked pepper.

Angie

Beverlyjoy
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I love eggplant and brussell sprouts. I do lots of things with eggplant - roast it in the oven with other veggie (mushroom, onions, peppers, etc) I just use a little bit of olive oil or spray olive oil and roast them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes - turning once. (Time varies with size of pieces).

I'll cut up eggplant and put it in the crockpot with zuccini, a can of tomatoes, onions etc and Italian spices - I'll then mix it with some pasta and serve with parm. cheese. Leftover can but frozen and then, if you like, put it in a casserole with lite provelone cheese for a different take on this dinner.

I'll take a can of stewed tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, garbonzo beans, onions etc and make a stew to serve with parm. cheese.

nicki rose98
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Great, great ideas!!!!

FB
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
isn't bacon a not so good thing? or do u use turkey bacon?

Bacon is not a bad thing Nicki, in moderation. 2 slices of the regular stuff I have in my fridge would be 35 calories. 20 slices would be a real problem - but 20 slices of most things would qualify as a problem!

nicki rose98
01-27-2009, 11:27 PM
fb lol!!!!

i printed up everyone's recipe ideas and will try some brussel sprouts next week.

kaplods
01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
A bit of trivia, actually "it is never eaten raw," is actually untrue. Some varieties are quite often eaten raw in southest asia. The Hmong lady who introduced me to asian eggplant at our farmer's market told me which could be eaten raw (very small, green striped, chicken egg sized and shaped ones), and another Hmong woman who owns our favorite restaurant adds very thinly sliced eggplant to her laab and papaya salad dishes. It's very good.

ennay
01-28-2009, 01:03 AM
ok, sorry jumping in - saw the link from the front page

I HATED brussel sprouts until I started slicing them very thinly and just quick sauteeing them so they are still really crunchy. I add them in stirfries or on their own with ginger and maybe a splash of teriyaki sauce. The key is to never over cook them.

The best eggplant recipe. Works with any kind of eggplant but I usually use one large purple eggplant Slice very thinly. Slice large sweet onion very thinly. sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine in large heavy pan with ~ 2t-1T EVOO and a little chicken broth. Add italian seasonings (oregano, basil) - maybe 1T dried. Heat on medium until it starts to simmer, then turn down to low. Stir frequently. At first you may need to add more broth until the Eggplant stops absorbing and everything starts releasing juices. It should neither be wet nor dry. The idea is to gently carmelize the onions and eggplant together for about an hour.

Good on its own just like that. Or for sheer heaven transfer to a casserole dish, cover with a thin layer of spag sauce and a thin layer of mozzarella. Bake until cheese melts

nicolen
01-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I love eggplant, especially sliced and cooked on the BBQ. If you combine it with tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and zucchini and toss the whole lot with a balsamic vinaigrette, it's fantastic.

Brussels Sprouts - I used to hate them, but they're nice roasted with a bit of garlic and lemon juice...