Whole Foods Lifestyle - I love my new slow cooker cookbook!

Glory87
01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I checked it out of the library and I love it so much, I'm going to buy it!

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Slow-Cooker-Judith-Finlayson/dp/0778801330/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232919131&sr=8-1

I want to try nearly every recipe in it. Most things are very healthy and all the nutritional info is provided. There are a few cases of moderately exotic ingredients and it can be a little more complicated than my usual "throw it all in and stir a couple of times" but definite WINNER.

jtammy
01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to see if my library has it. Here's one I refer to quite often. I really like being able to put something on before I go to work and come home to it ready to eat!

The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Busy-Moms-Slow-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/0696223252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232919569&sr=1-1)

rockinrobin
01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I've got a slow cooker. I keep meaning to find some recipes using it. It would be awesome to throw something in that crock and have it all good to go come dinner time.

You've definitely got me considering buying one or the other.

Glory87
01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
oooh, I will check it out.

Here's what I decided to make next week. I will type it out for everbody!

Caldo Vera
8 servings

Ingredients

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I will use more, of course)
1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns
6 cups chicken stock (I'll make it from the cubes)
2 cans chickpeans, drained (or 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked, cooked and drained)
2 potatoes, peeled and diced (going to use sweet, I think)
salt, optional
2 tsp paprika
2 tbs lemon juice (dissolve the paprika in the lemon juice)
4 cups shredded collard greens (or kale)
4 oz cooked smoked sausage such as cured chorizo or kielbasa, chopped into bite sized pieces (optional)
red wine vinegar, optional

1. In a large dry skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds, stirring until fragrant, until they just start to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind (note to self, find mortar and pestle)

2. In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and carrots, stirring until carrots are softened about 7 minutes. Add garlic, peppercorns and cumin, cooki stirring for 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker. Add stock and chickpeas and stir well.

3. Add potatoes and stir well (um, why not do this the last step? weird!). Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, until potatoes are tender. SEason to taste with salt, if using. If you prefer a smooth soup, working in batches puree soup in a food processor or blender (I will pass on this step in an attempt to keep the number of pots/pans to a minimum!). Stir in paprika mixture. Add collars (or kale) in batches, stirring each to submerge before adding the next batch. Add sausage, if using. Cover and cook on high until collards are tender, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with vinegar, if using.

Sounds great!!! Going to serve it with some really good bread.

Glory87
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh yeah

Calories 190
Protein 7.9
Carb 33
Fat 3.7 g
Sat .6
Mono 1.8g
poly .9
Fiber 6.1
sodium 243 (they recommend dried chickpeas to cut the sodium)
Chol 5 mg

walking2lose
01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
It looks really good. Thanks, Glory!

Glory87
01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
This is going on the menu soon! Except I have to buy smooth peanut butter, which is a pain.

Spicy Peanut Chicken
6-8 servings

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and minced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbs minced gingerrot
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorn
1 cup chicken stock
3 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 12)
3 tbs smooth nat peanut butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tsp red curry paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups sweet green peas (thawed if frozen)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts (I Might use cashews, since I have some)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro

1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions, carrots, celery, and cook stirring until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and peppercorns, stirring for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.

2. Arrange chicken over bottom of slow cooker, and vegetable mixture. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours (hmmm tough to do on a work day!) or high for 2 1/2 hours until juice run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.

3. In a bowl, combine peanut butter, lemon juice, soy suace, and red curry paste. Mix well. Add to slow cooker. Add coconut milk, peas and red pepper and stir well. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes. garnish with peanuts and cilantro and serve.

Cal 334
Prot 33
Carb 14
Fat 16.2
Sat 5.3
Mono 6.0
Poly 3.3
Fiber 3.6
Sodium 471
Chol 114

jtammy
01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
That sounds good Jen. How many servings does it make?

Glory87
01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
One more!!

Moroccan Style Chicken with Prunes and Quinoa
8 servings

Ingredients

Prune mixture
1 1/2 cups chopped pitted prunes
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbs liquid honey

1 tbs grated lemon zest
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs dried oregeno leaves, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns
2 lbs skinless bone-in chicken thigh (about 8)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 1/2 cups quinoa (rinsed)
3 cups water (for quinoa)

1. In a bowl, combine prunes, 1 1/2 cup of the water, honey and lemon zest. Cover and set aside.

2. In a slow cooker, combine garlic, oregano, lemon zest, salt, peppercorns. Add chicken and toss. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight (also refrigerate prune mixture)

3. Add chicken stock and lemon juice, stir well. Cover and cook on low for r hours. or on High for 2 1/2 hours. Add prunes with liquid. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.

4. Cook the quinoa. Boil water, add quinoa in a steady stream. Stir. Return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes (always takes longer for me, YMMV)

5. Serve chicken on quinoa!

calories 283
Protein 17.7
carb 42.5
Fat 5.3
Sat 1
Mono 1.6
Poly 1.6
Fiber 5.5
Sodium 440
Chol 53

Glory87
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
That sounds good Jen. How many servings does it make?

Hey :) I edited in all the serving info!

jtammy
01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks! Otherwise I would assume it made one serving. ;) The Spicy Peanut Chicken sounds divine!

nelie
01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
My rice cooker is my bean cooker, I cook a pot of beans at least once a week.

walking2lose
01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
This is going on the menu soon! Except I have to buy smooth peanut butter, which is a pain.

I need to get this cookbook. I love my slowcooker but am often at a loss for cool recipes... I make the same old things - beans, soups, sometimes cabbage/potato/sausage.

BTW, I would use chunky in the recipe. I think it would turn out fine!

Will you let us know how your meals turn out?

rockinrobin
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks! Otherwise I would assume it made one serving. ;)

:rofl:

Glory87
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I need to get this cookbook. I love my slowcooker but am often at a loss for cool recipes... I make the same old things - beans, soups, sometimes cabbage/potato/sausage.

BTW, I would use chunky in the recipe. I think it would turn out fine!

Will you let us know how your meals turn out?

Sure thing! Jason got to pick the first recipe. I am making chicken cacciatore with broccoli! I already have everything already to go in the Slow Cooker - I just have to turn it on in the morning! (I mean, it's in the frig now. I have to put it in the slow cooker and turn it on in the morning).

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

2 tbs oil, divided
2 onions, finely chopped (I used one ginormous onion)
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used tons)
1 tsp dried organo, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt (skipped it)
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
8 oz cremini mushrooms (it didn't say, but I halved them, they were pretty small)
1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock (white??? bah, none of that in the house! used the chicken stock)
1 28 oz can of tomatoes, with juice (I got the diced)
12 skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs). I used a little less than that, and it is HARD to find skinless bone-in chicken thighs! I bought bone-in and peeled the skin off, it was pretty easy, actually
2 dried chile peppers, optional (I just added some crushed red pepper when I added the orgagno instead)
1 green bell pepper, diced (I hate green peppers, skipped them)
4 cups broccoli florets, blanched (I bought a big bag of frozen broccoli, plan to nuke at the last minute tomorrow)

1. In a skillet (I just used my slow cooker, the pot can go on the stove), heat 1 tbs olive oil. Add onions and cook, stirring about 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, toss to coat. Add white wine (chicken stock) and tomatoes with juice an bring to a boil.

2. Arrange chicken over bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (I am going to cook for 8 hours on low, cuz i have to work tomorrow) or on high for 3 hours. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to heatproof dish and put in the oven to keep warm (I am going to skip all that and just toss the broccoli in at this point).

3. In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tbs oil, add chile peppers (if using) and bell pepper. cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce from slow cooker and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until slightly reduced and thickened about 10 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until heated through. Combine with chicken and serve.

I'm going to serve it over polenta, but I wimped out and bought the stuff in the tube. I like to slice it very thin and fry it with pam until it's crispy, then finish it under the broiler for super crispiness.

I'm skipping the whole bell pepper step. I'm going to take the chicken out as directed, put the crockpot on the stove and reduce/thicken. Then add the broccoli, then add the chicken. Should be a little easier.

I will report back! And post a picture!

rockinrobin
01-26-2009, 06:19 AM
These recipes sound really good. But, what's up with the Chicken thighs? I am a chicken BREAST person. Do you think the length of time that it has to cook would dry out the breast, so that's why they use the thigh? I guess I could experiment.

tryingitagain
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
You might want to try out the "Fix-it-and -Forget-it" cook books, they are all for slow cookers. There are ones for about every diet need Diabetic, healthy, vegetable lovers, etc. I have the "Healthy" and the "Diabetic" ones. They are both wonderful!!! Haven't found a bad recipe yet, of course if they have lots of stuff we don't like we don't try it...But most are really easy and ordinary stuff in the recipes...Just a sugestion, you can get them at Wal-Mart or on Amazon.com whichever is easier for you...Oh and they all tell you all the stats on the recipe so you know exactly how much of everything you are getting.;)

Schmoodle
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I usually cook with chicken breasts too, but in the slow cooker they tend to get overdone and rubbery, so I use thighs for crockpot recipes only.

rockinrobin
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I usually cook with chicken breasts too, but in the slow cooker they tend to get overdone and rubbery, so I use thighs for crockpot recipes only.

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. Hmmm. I hate thighs. :(

cbmare
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I love my crockpot. I just bought the 3 in 1 from Hamilton Beach. Right now there is a soy chorizo lentil soup cooking. So far, the only thing I don't like about it is the start function. My other one gives me an option of 8 or 10 hours on low and 4 or 6 hours on high and it will automatically go off. Poor boobalah had to go by the house before his hand therapy appointment and hit the "low" button. Hmm. I wonder if I can put it on a timer.

I'm going to see if my library has that cookbook as well.

cbmare
01-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all these recipes. I'm going to try some of them. How do you figure out serving size? I know it says serves 4 - 6 etc. However, do you take a measuring cup and dip it out into individual containers to figure it out?

Glory87
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
For the one with chicken thighs, I'm going with thighs. I put 6 thighs in, so 6 servings. A thigh, some sauce, on rice. The sauce is just tomatoes/broccoli/onions/broth.

cbmare
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I've got some ribs in the 6 qt size bowl today. I thick sliced some onion and put that on the bottom so the meat won't steam in its own juice. I put some of boobalah's BBQ rub on them last night and kept them in a baggie over night. Haven't decided what sides to have with it. I want a break from the normal potato salad and cole slaw. Maybe some sauteed greens and break down and have some garlic bread.

Glory87
02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey guys - sorry I got super sick last week and didn't have to time to report back on what I made! So far, I have made the following:

Chicken cacciatore with broccoli - this was just okay. The chicken really was tender, but the sauce never thickened and was kind of brothlike. If I made it again, I might add a can of tomato paste. It did have a good taste and the broccoli was nice.

Caldo Vera - this turned out really good. Had a nice lemony taste. I added a little parmesan cheese and ate it with bread. Yummy. The potatoes were just okay, I might sub sweet potatoes next time. Or just use 1 potato and add another can of chickpeas.

Glory87
02-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Ohmygod, I made lamb with apricots today - it was AMAZING. The lamb was a tiny bit dry, but I had to work a little late so it was in the crockpot longer than I had planned. Absolutely delicious and on the definite "MUST MAKE AGAIN" list. I served it over quinoa with some green beans on the side.

cbmare
02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
What is the recipe for the lamb? I'm not overly fond of red meat anymore but boobalah wants it. I think that lamb might be good since we are having a rainly weekend.

Glory87
02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll type it out for you tonight :)

If you want to hit the store, the ingredients were (off the top of my head):

toasted cumin seeds, toasted coriander seeds (I just used powdered coriander), lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, lamb chunks, apricots, raisins, 1/2 cup chicken broth (maybe could have used a little more broth), chopped onion.

Glory87
02-08-2009, 11:31 AM
So sorry it took me so long to post this!

Moroccan Style Lamb with Raisins and Apricots
8 servings (I didn't get 8 servings out of mine, but I used less lamb than recommended)

Ingredients

1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds (I used powdered coriander)
1-2 tbs olive oil
2 lbs stewing lamb cut into 1" chunks (my package had 1.35 lbs and it worked out)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced ginger root (I used a little more)
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp salt (I omitted)
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1 piece cinnamon stick (I left this out, since I didn't have any!)
1/2 cup chicken stock (I would probably double this next time)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cop finely chopped cilantro (my bf is one of those people who taste cilantro like soap - so I left this out)

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds, stirring, until frangrant and cumin seeds just begin go brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to a mortor or spice grinder and grind. Set aside.

In the same skillet heat 1 tbs oil over med high heat for 30 seconds. Add lamb, in batches, and cook (adding more oil if necessary - I didnt need to), until browned about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.

Reduce heat to medium, add onion to a pan and cook, stirring until softened. Add ginger, lemon zest, salt, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and reserved cumin and coriander and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to stone cooker stoneware, stir well.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, until lamb is tender. Add lemon juice an dhoney and stir well. Season to taste with salt, if using. Stir in apricots and raisins. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, until fruit is warmed through. Garnish with cilantro, discard cinnamon stick.

Calories 246
Protein 20.7
carb 22.5
fat 8.2
sat 2.7
mon 4.1
poly 0.8
fiber 2.3
sodium 418
cholesterol 65

Excellent source of B12, zinc. Good source of phosoporus, magnesium and iron. Source of Vitamins A and B6.

There's also this little note about the benefits of apricots - apricots deepend the nutritional value of this recipe by adding fiber, vitamin A, potassium and iron. Apricots also include a wide variety of carotenoids, the consumption of which has been linked to various health benefits. Enjoying apricots in a stew has added health benefit since their beta carotene becomes more available to the body when they are cooked.

corazonas
02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
wow those all look really good! i love my crock pot but don't use it that often. i even have a couple crock pot cookbooks! i think i need to go dust them off... hmm...