Old 01-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Mindless eating--I caught myself!

So I've been back on a more healthy eating plan for about 3 weeks now, thanks to you all and the support of my sister/best friend. I lost 30 lbs a couple of years ago but gained it all back because, like so many others, I thought that once I lost it I could go back to my old way of eating. That makes no sense, but that's what I thought! Anyway, my "plan" consists of just cutting out the tons of junk I eat and being more mindful. When I want a snack, I have one but it's an apple or some nuts or a yogurt, not a box of cheeze nips or a bag of chips. I've cut out most of the diet pop I was drinking and am just generally making healthier choices.

Anyway....last night at the store I bought some Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Yum! So I had one after dinner, and even though I was very full, the devil on my shoulder started saying, "That was good! I should have another! It was only 140 calories!" I reminded myself that I was really, really full and besides, Sunday morning is weigh-in day so I will not have another ice cream sandwich.

A couple of minutes later, I found myself walking out of the kitchen with another ice cream sandwich and a bite taken out of it! It was like I was in a trance or something; I do NOT remember making the decision to have another one. I remember opening the freezer and taking it out, but I wasn't really fully aware of what I was actually doing until I had already taken a bite.

This was a shocking event to me. How often do I do this? How much am I really eating that I'm not even aware of? I took a second bite after the awareness hit, and then I wrapped up the treat and put it back in the freezer. I'll have it tonight after dinner, but jeez--it was really, really strange to find myself eating that thing after I had made the conscious decision NOT to eat. It was like I was on auto-pilot. Has anyone else experienced this kind of disconnect?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Yep. It's like some force takes over and there you are just munching away. I have made a promise to myself that I will not go back for seconds, but I will find myself dishing out another serving and it's like, what the heck am I doing. I guess we have to retrain our bodies and minds to say no can't do that any more.

You caught yourself and put it back for later, that is good.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #3  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Ok, I am new to the forum and this may sound a bit 'out there' to some, but I wanted to share a belief that my husband just shared with me not a week or so ago. I tend to feel there may be some merit to it due to my personal belief system.

Here goes: Many cultures believe in ancestor worship/maintaining familial ties beyond the dead. Keep with me...if anything you might at least find this entertaining. He mentioned that quiet possibly when we say things out of turn or eat mindlessly it may be someone from our family past over-riding our mind. That we share our energy with others in our family and upon death they decide with whom they want to reside.

Ok, smile and nod, laugh, gufah, say 'pishaw' or whatever you want now. lol
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote