Weight and Resistance Training - BFL Starters - Week 1 - those who started Sun/Mon, 1/25 or 1/26 2009

sportmom
01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Welcome to BFL Week 1! Whether you're starting today or Monday, welcome to the program. No measurements need to be posted yet, but here are some things you might want to spend the day doing:

Take your before pictures
Take your measurements, weight and bodyfat if you have a scale or omron handheld that will do so. Consider measuring your....
Neck
Chest
Natural waistline (sucked in)
Waistline at your navel (sucked in)
Hips at widest point
Thighs at widest point
Calves at widest point
Bicep (flexed)
Prep your food. Marinate/grill those chicken breasts! Cook up that vat of oatmeal and split into single portions. Put your fruit into daily portions (works for things like grapes and nectarine slices, etc., but not so much for apples or fruits that dry out)
Preplan the rest of your week's meals
Preplan which lifting exercises you will do for the rest of the week
Start a journal!So share with the group what you're doing today to be successful this week. My hint for the week is that when marinating your chicken, save yourself the space tupperware takes in the fridge and use a ziplock bag. It takes up less space, plus allows you to play with your food and redistribute the marination every few hours (when you'll be at the fridge anyway ;) ) by massaging the bag a bit. Goodness knows we'll be needing all those extra tupperwares the rest of the week anyway!

Oh, and if you don't have a Foreman grill yet (or other indoor grill), scout the stores today for one. It will make your life so much easier!

And while you're at Target, they have all their fitness stuff on sale (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?action=entryflash&ref=sc_iw_l_0_4)this week. Hey, they knew, they're in with US! (p6-7)

midwife
01-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I still can't find my tape measure. I'll see if I can get some measurements.

But my starting weight is 152.5.

I think I'll call my trainer tomorrow and see if I can swing by to get a starting BF%. It's been awhile.

I've got a stocked kitchen though!

Lydia227
01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Checking In. I'm off to measure myself. Starting weight this morning was 134. Up a pound from yesterday. I think it has something to do with the workout from yesterday. (I'm pretty sore) And last nights final meal. (Don't ask, don't tell)

DH broke the glass jar to my blender so I'm ordering a new one. I've got the grill, plenty of baggies. No luck with the omron yet so I'll have to order one of those too.

Goal for today. WATER. WATER. WATER.
I was going to take today as a cardio rest day. But now that I'm up and moving, I think I will hit the the bike in the basement before I shower and eat breakfast. I've been motivated. Thanks. :hug:

:coffee: Have a great morning everyone.

4rabbit
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in, but I think it will be BFL-lite.
My plans are:
-stick to 3 meals & 3 snacks with the protein/carbs components
-protein/carbs as stated by midwife
- I usually fail at journalling, but I did manage to journal exercise & food in the NDS game, so I'll use that
- and I'll do 3 x cardio and 3x lifting per week.

So far I have not done food prep, but I did make a plan for food & bought stuff for various healthy dinners

And I have day 1 under my belt:
did cardio and am now chewing gum to get over the evening munchies.

Now to dig up that nintendo game and weigh myself.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

jamsk8r
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm in. My plan is not BFL, but it's new to me and seems to be working well since the day after Xmas, so here it is:

The Food: Cals 1800 lifting days, 1600 other days, mostly lean protein/veggies/fruit, a protein shake on my lifting days, 40/40/20.

The Water: 64 oz minimum, usually more, depending how much I scarf down during a workout.

The Lifting: 4 days, upper/lower split, Mon/Thurs LB, Tue/Fri UB, currently doing 4 sets of each exercise in the 8-12 rep range with one heavy weight for all sets, because I'm working out at home with one set of DB bars...it's just a pain to change weight every single set of every exercise. Might change that when I get back to the gym.

The Cardio/etc: Daily, except I will take a rest day if I feel the need...usually, I just do a shorter or easier SS day if I'm not feeling up to a butt-kicking cardio session..every little bit seems to help these days. Skating, Crossfit, running, bike (haven't actually done this last one, but I'm working through my list of excuses one by one, lol). Again, this list might expand or change when I can get to the gym again.

Starting weight this morning: 180.8
Will take measurements and pics today.

This will be fun! :carrot:

WaterRat
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm starting tomorrow, and short on time today. But, I'm stocked up on food, making my plan, and will be ready to go Monday morning. :) We're still in carpeting mode, but I think I know where my camera is - the tape measure I'm not so sure. :lol:

michelle127
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm in and I think I'm starving to death....

What do you marinate your chicken in - what sauce? What are some of the dinners you like to make during the week?

I weighed in at 258 - yep. I haven't measured yet - I'll do that in the morning. My workout was intense, but it's done so woo hoo.

I think I did well with the eating. Do you eat protein bars? I have some Zone Bars that seem to fit the plan. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the tips Sportsmom. I was going to go and buy some plasticware - your idea rocks!

Onward to day 2!

Lydia227
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Okay. So measurements have been taken and the photos have been shot. I'm really hoping that I'm going to see some visible improvement in these numbers and photos in twelve weeks.

Michelle, I felt like I was starving to death today too. I know that I'm not. But wow, that last hour before a meal is tough. I found myself "empty" consistently that last hour and watching the clock. Also feeling a little sluggish during that time too. About half an hour after I've eaten I suddenly get my second wind and ready to take on projects again.

Oh, the protein bars. I eat them but only when it's difficult to get real food or if I'm in danger of making a poor food choice. I keep them in the car because that is usually where I get stranded. The one's I chose are the Pure Protein bars

http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/productDetail.aspx?PID=13803

These are about 190 cal, 4.5g fat, 17g carb, 20g protein. I would love to find something that is a little lower in carbs. But I don't use these often in my snack rotation. It's a just in case type of thing.

Currently I'm kicking around the idea of getting rid of all the things that are "packaged" like the protein bars and the little crystal light water mixers. I'm wondering if eliminating these things will help change my taste/craving for sweets and make this challenge a little bit easier in the long run.

:crossed: Hoping to see that one pound up from yesterday back down again tomorrow morning.

sportmom
01-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi all, well, got dd to take some real before pix. I usually take them in the mirror at my reflection, and let me just go on record as saying - those images are not accurate - like they're 2 times removed from reality or something. I started with that, then she offered, and there's no comparison. Mirror photos are practically photoshopped compared to the real ones that show every lump and bump. It became apparent after that little exercise that I may be doing TWO back to back challenges.

So I finished reading those 60 pages of google finds on BFL and have about 20 websites that I can go back and visit during the 12 weeks when I'm looking for motivation. Planned my workouts and my meals.

Quickly became obvious that the workouts will be no brainer for me, and that's an improvement from where I came from 2-3 years ago. But the food! aye yi yi! That is going to be my supreme challenge. I'm like - if I can just get thru 6 days, everything can repeat!! It's my own fault for not liking to cook, or liking seafood and many other things. But man, I'm going to have to choke down that cottage cheese with my nose pinched if necessary, cuz it's here on a daily basis.

I think a meals thread would be helpful just to give everyone some new ideas. OK, me some new ideas. No one will come away from my posts inspired! :)

I marinate my chicken in Kraft bbq sauce. I saw some at the store yesterday that is "light" with 1/3 less sugar, so I'll be trying that. I've had really good luck in buying the quantity bags from costco that are flash frozen and marinating those frozen. As they defrost they add moisture to the bag and they are just delish that way. I used to buy fresh Perdue, which was good too, but frozen is better somehow. I guess ultimately fresher since they are frozen almost immediately. I'm also going to try marinating them in my basalmic vinaigrette dressing.

OK, off to start a food thread.

4rabbit
01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi BFLL
(body for life ladies)
I'm on day 2. Did lifting today when just out of bed, even before putting my contacts in, while DD and DS showered. they are both in awe that mom started sports again. Food is a challenge and probabley will be for the next weeks.

Sportsmom-great idea to put up a food thread. The food is where I am seriously challenged. No good ideas and a picky eater.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

dixied
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Day 2! So far my biggest challenge is the 6 meals. Yesterday I got up late, and by the time I worked out, I could only squeeze in 5 meals. This morning, Meal 2 was reduced by half, I'm just not hungry. I have another 2 hours to go until Meal 3, maybe by then I'll be hungry enough to eat Meal 3 and finish off the rest of Meal 2.

I tried something new, the frozen bags of brown rice that you throw in the microwave and steam, from Birdseye. Not impressed. The rice is chewy. :p

midwife
01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Woohoo! Look at us go!!

Michelle, can you post what you ate? Maybe we could come up with a strategy to help you feel full longer. Although what do I know? I was SUPER hungry all last week too even though I ate and ate plenty of healthy foods with healthy fats. I felt like I was hitting a growth spurt or something!

Like Lydia, I am finding myself avoiding packaged foods more and more. I would probably not eat a zone bar, just cause of all the chemicals and stuff I can't identify or understand. Although I am probably a bit of a hypocrit, since there may be stuff in my protein shakes I can't identify or understand. I think in a pinch it is probably better than other stuff. How many carbs does it have? I protect my carbs jealously since I get just a few servings a day, and whole grain breads and potatoes make me much happier than something that is torn out of a small package. If some of my philosophies seem inconsistent, they probably are, but they make sense in my feverish brain!

Go Dixie! Thanks for the feedback on the rice. I'm not a huge rice eater but I have seen those bags and might have tried them. Sounds like I'm not missing much!

Rabbit, I am so impressed with you lifting first thing in the morning!! Remind me where you live? The Netherlands? Or am I confused?

Food is always the big challenge for me too, Fran. And it is, as you know, the most important piece for a fabulous body! I tell myself "abs are made in the kitchen" a few times a day. I can't remember if you've tried protein pancakes? I make mine with about a third cup oatmeal, a third cup cottage cheese, and 2 eggs (1 egg + 2 egg whites on the days I am not lazy). Blend it up and cook like pancakes. They are yummy and not cottage cheesy in the slightest.

I'm going to get my bf % measured today, so that will be one way to track my progress. But I thought of another way. :devil: I am currently in between scrub sizes at the hospital. Mediums are baggy and smalls are too snug. So I am going to stick with mediums for 12 weeks and at the end of the challenge, try on some smalls. Tada!! Here's hoping they'll fit just right!

kittycat40
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
got measurements! did'em on myself, just now with tape measure at work. I'm dressed but my clothes are fairly thin today.

midwife
01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, now I'm jealous, Kitty. No way could I get a fundal height paper tape measure around my body! Or do you have real ones? I tried with the paper ones and wound up laughing at myself. Ummm....didn't work at all. Guess my waist is more than 44 cm!

kittycat40
01-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Well, now I'm jealous, Kitty. No way could I get a fundal height paper tape measure around my body! Or do you have real ones? I tried with the paper ones and wound up laughing at myself. Ummm....didn't work at all. Guess my waist is more than 44 cm!

hahaha, no, I found a real one stuck in my drawer! :)

can you help me with internet stuff?? read other post!

sportmom
01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi BFLL! (love it rabbit!)

I believe Rabbit is in the UK so she sleeps while we post and then leaves us lots of good info to read when we wake up! :)

As for rice, there's also in the rice aisle the microwaveable bags. I would say skip them as well - also chewy is a good description - also makes too much at once. BUT, the micro CUPS are great. And just the right size. They aren't cheap, but my dd also loves them so I buy them for her. They are brown rice and branded Minute Rice. They taste just fine like the normal boil-in -a-bag brown rice that I make for family meals.

Well, my workout today when I planned it out was quite different than what I had expected. I've been doing the 12-10-8 sets of increasing weights for years. So I thought this would be a cakewalk compared to my usual twice weekly fbwo. I was wrong! OMGoodness - that extra set of 12 again at the end and then the second exercise x12. Yeah, I get your spaghetti arms from last week Dee. I'm hoping to get out of bed in the morning. So that already has me jazzed about the program. That and the cottage cheese. ;)

mountain mama
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey all! So today I begin.. i'm just about to go do my measurments for the first time EVER. I hope I do it right. hehe. i will post my details and photos later on! just checkin in! sounds like everyone is getting on track here!

I've eaten more protien dense foods today to give me the energy to bust it out at the gym today. Im still dragging.. and don't know what's up with me.. but here's hoping once i get there I will get ina groove. knowing my husband is deployed and is stil managinto get to the gym and run really gives me the motivation lol

midwife
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok, I've got my bf% checked today.

Weight (at trainer's, not naked, of course, after breakfast and snack): 156
BF % 14.8
lean mass 132.9
fat lbs 23.1

I'll ask her to check it again in 12 weeks. We'll see!

WaterRat
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Midwife - great BF already!

I've located the camera so will do that tonight. Now to find the tape measure. :)

This week's exercise:

M - HIIT Cardio
T - Stage 1A NRLW
W - rest
Th - HIIT Cardio
F - active rest (i.e. square dancing)
S - Stage 1A (or do I alternate with 1B - need to check) and SS cardio
S - active rest (walking or stationary bike)

Food I'm still working on. I have been calorie counting with mostly whole foods and intend to do that. I've also committed to giving up alcohol mostly during these 12 weeks. By mostly I mean none on weekdays, weekends maybe 1 glass, and special occasions (like our anniversary dinner) okay. :)

misspiggy408
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Ladies, count me in :) I just started (well, re-started) again today. I actually tried to start LAST Tuesday, but fell off toward the end. Today I am back on track though. I will have my DH take "before" pics of me tonite, as well as measurements. So for now I'm only following the BFL weight training/cardio schedule.

My starting weight: 153.6

I will report back to let you know how my weight workout goes tonite! ( Due to my crazy schedule, I can't lift weights until the afternoon )

Tomato
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I will weigh myself tomorrow morning or maybe Wednesday morning. TOM in full swing so I need to wait it out.

Have measure tape, will travel!!!

dixied
01-26-2009, 09:26 PM

BF % 14.8
lean mass 132.9
fat lbs 23.1

Well, now I'm depressed. ;) That's exactly what I weighted this morning, but when I calculated my BF% yesterday, it was 24.9%. 118.7 pounds of lean mass and 37.3 pounds of fat. All that fat is in my boobs, I swear! I wonder how one would go about measuring how much her breasts weight? I'm seeing a encounter with our postage scale tomorrow at work. :D

WaterRat
01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Dixied - :rofl: I can just picture it!

Tomato
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM

BF % 14.8
lean mass 132.9
fat lbs 23.1

I don't think I can get double quote in so I am doing it manually - below is dixie's response to midwife's post.

Well, now I'm depressed. ;) That's exactly what I weighted this morning, but when I calculated my BF% yesterday, it was 24.9%. 118.7 pounds of lean mass and 37.3 pounds of fat. All that fat is in my boobs, I swear! I wonder how one would go about measuring how much her breasts weight? I'm seeing a encounter with our postage scale tomorrow at work. :D

Hey dixie, cheer up! Midwife's BF % has depressed me since summer or so - I may have to get myself some antidepressants for that! LOL :D (Midwife: I still love you though :hug: ).
I don't know how she does it, and she won't share her voodoo with me.:mad:

Ok, my stats as of this morning:
160 lbs (actually, the number on the scale dipped into the 159~ for the first time - woohoo - a taste of things to come :carrot: )
39 - 33 - 38.5 (darn boobs don't want to keep up with hips)
My last BF% is from January 6 but it will have to do - 22.7%.

Alena

Lydia227
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I just ordered a body fat analyzer yesterday. I'll finally know where I'm beginning from in a couple of days. I'm beginning to see that the weight is dropping a little, like 1/2 pound increments every other day.

I'm so glad that we are all doing this challenge together. It really is the motivation that I needed at just the right time. I can't tell you the number of times in the last three days I was tempted to have just a bite of something and then I would think about everyone else who is working so hard. Your are all keeping me honest.

FRAN...I saw where you were second guessing your choice of plan because of the protein intake. After all of the work you have put into this I'm glad you shook it off and have decided that this is worth trying. Just keep drinking the water with lemon and that could be said to all of us. Water is essential to maximize the fat burning process right?

Here's to great choices everyone. :cheers:

Tomato
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Lyd,
would you mind posting a link to the body analyzer gizmo? Thnks.

sportmom
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
HI guys, how did everyone's 20 minute aerobic solution go this morning??? Mine went great! I was definitely taxed but not cardiac arrest type like I was the last time I did it. Taking the treadmill down by a .5 smidge was the answer. I was def annoyed whenever I had to talk to the dd's, who are out of school today for snow. That's exactly how I've heard people describe hiit. At you mid point, you can still talk, but would rather remain quiet. At your high point, you can speak a few words but really get annoyed at someone who keeps making you talk! :)

Wow, that weight exercise yesterday! When I scoped it out and wrote it down on Sunday, it seemed easier than what I had been doing prior to starting BFL. But whoah, that last double set/no rest is REALLY a killer! For any of you out there doing your own workouts, I would encourage you to switch and try the BFL lifting plan for just one week and see how it feels for you. I'm in need of a walker today to get off my seat and the abs are starting to make themselves known as we head toward noon as well. They'll be screaming by dinner time. On Friday, when I repeat it all, boy that should be a really FUN day :dizzy:. Until then, I'm actually REALLY looking forward to my ubwo tomorrow and as Dee described them, her spaghetti arms too weak to drive!

Ilene
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok, I'm in :D ...

I've weighed in this morning ... I'll measure tonight...I've got my workouts printed... Running this afternoon and LB work out tonight at the gym......

dixied
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm on day 3, I think. It was my first BFL lower body day. Again, I felt weak, dizzy, and feeble. Those sets/reps are killers.

What exercises are you doing for the Abs portion? I'm having a problem figuring out the set/rep/intensity for planks.

Also, on exercises like lunges, where one leg is dominant, should I be doing 12-10-8-6-12 on each leg? That's what I did this morning, I just alternated legs. Like: Left Leg Lunge, Right Leg Lunge (count 1)... or should I do all the left leg lunges and then all the right leg lunges?

sportmom
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Welcome Ilene!!! :welcome:

Dee, I'm doing leg step-ups, so like your lunges, I have to make a left/rt decision. So I do my 12 set with all left leg leads, then on my 10 set, my right leads each one, on the 8s, my left leads again, and so on. I got too confused trying to switch it up in the same set.

For abs, I'm doing the swiss ball raises, and let me tell you.....ouch! Hard on the abs but also the thighs, hams, and glutes as you fight to keep that ball held. I think I might switch to crunches for a bit bc those ball raises almost spasmed my lower back bc I was working so hard. So anyway, on the abs work, since there's no weight involved, I just do 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 and then 12 of something else (crunches for me). Seems like the intensity level gets progressively harder on its own from exhaustion, without me doing anything extra.

I can sooo feel every muscle in my legs today - quads, hammies and glutes - even tho you'll notice from the workout planner that you don't do a separate "glutes" exercise. I think you work them indirecly on both the quad and hams work - at least that's how it felt at the time (and today!)

hikerchick
01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone. County me in too. I started lifting heavy things again (well heavy for me that is) the beginning of this week. I plan to lift 3-4 times a week and after tomorrow I'll start incorporating some interval cardio runs too. I find BFL ish eating to work for me so thats not a problem. I know my weight I have been scared to take measurements but I had better go do that.
37-31-39

legs 23 arms 11 and a half

Not as scary as I thought. I am so weak right now, its sad. I am hoping to change all that.

I weighed in at 153 today but I am not changing my ticker weight cause that's how I am. I have been eating very well so the weight is water from exercise. I am so much less concerned about that number. It's really what got me in trouble for awhile I "maintained" at 145 but I was slowly loosing muscle and gaining fat. Just being stupid but I am only human.

I had an upper body workout this morning and I am still sore from Sunday's LBWO. I'll get to abs this afternoon. I am wiped out.

jamsk8r
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Morning, ladies!

I totally messed up Sunday and missed my workout. Not a great start. Can I just pretend I started on Monday? ;)

Monday went better. Did LB lifting and running. It was a good leg torture workout. I tried some knee raises and decline twists for abs, but both just seemed to hurt my lower back, and though I could feel it in my abs a little, they didn't seem that good, so I won't try those again till I can try them on some real equipment at the gym.

Today is UB lifting and some kind of cardio. I'd planned a bike ride for today, but it snowed overnight and the roads are still covered, so unless it melts I'll have to come up with something else for cardio.

I tried taking my measurements on Sunday, but can't get the tape to say the same thing twice..I'm getting big fluctuations like an inch or two. Maybe my sister C can help me, since I think she's more experienced with the tape measure, having done a lot of sewing/making clothing in her lifetime. I seem to be tape measure impaired. :(

On the rice topic, I use a rice cooker. You can cook brown rice in it or any other kind of rice. You spray the pot with a light coat of nonstick spray or wipe it with a thin layer of butter, just on the bottom of the pan, to keep the rice from sticking. You measure out your rice and water, put it in the pot. Turn it "on" and flip the switch to "cook". It makes perfect rice every time, and shuts itself off when the rice is done. I just make up a week's worth at a time and keep it in a tupperware in the fridge. From there, you can nuke it to warm it up, or add it to soups, whatever. Since it's cooked, you don't have to nuke it long enough for it to change its texture. :)

WaterRat
01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Yesterday went well, including 1/2 hour of HIIT. :)

I had planned on doing NRLW workouts, but I just went out into the library and pulled BFL off the shelf. I'll look at the exercises at lunch and decide which to do.

I have heard good things about rice cookers, and looked at them several times, but I have no more room for another kitchen appliance on my counter or in my cupboard. I have a toaster, blender, a kitchenaid mixer, a food processor and a bread machine on the counters. In the cupboards, a George Foreman Grill and a slow cooker. Oh, and a stick/immersion blender on the counter too. :) I had a Pampered Chef party over the weekend. They make a microwave rice cooker which looks good too. I need a bigger kitchen! :rofl: I do cook a big batch of rice and nuke it for later meals.

dixied
01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I tried taking my measurements on Sunday, but can't get the tape to say the same thing twice..I'm getting big fluctuations like an inch or two. Maybe my sister C can help me, since I think she's more experienced with the tape measure, having done a lot of sewing/making clothing in her lifetime. I seem to be tape measure impaired. :(

I have a "dressmakers" tape measure. It's got a plastic snap on one end so you can measure yourself almost with one hand. It's probably the best $3 I've spent fitness-wise. I got mine at Wal-Mart, the brand was Dritz, but I can't find a picture of one online.

I have heard good things about rice cookers, and looked at them several times, but I have no more room for another kitchen appliance on my counter or in my cupboard. I have a toaster, blender, a kitchenaid mixer, a food processor and a bread machine on the counters. In the cupboards, a George Foreman Grill and a slow cooker. Oh, and a stick/immersion blender on the counter too. :) I had a Pampered Chef party over the weekend. They make a microwave rice cooker which looks good too. I need a bigger kitchen! :rofl: I do cook a big batch of rice and nuke it for later meals.

I have both types of rice cooker (wedding presents), and they make much better rice than the steamed version I tried yesterday. I was just being lazy, although if I had to grab a bag of rice to fix at work, the frozen steamed kind would certainly be easier. It wasn't very frugal though, the steamed rice is 4 servings for $1, the regular rice is something like 32 servings for $2.

michelle127
01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Hello BFLL!! :lifter:

Wow you are a busy bunch! I'm here with you, but I'm sooooo busy this time of year - I post when I can... I thought the food was going to be easy and the workouts difficult.... Both are hard! Geez Louise - I did the lower body work out WITHOUT weights!! Seriously - I counted up 48 squats and 12 other quad thingees and 48 lunges??? On each side!! **** I have to be careful or I could DIE.

I like to chop up tomatoes or add salsa to brown rice - then it's not so bad. I'm a horrible, horrible cook but isn't brown rice supposed to be chewy???

Sportsmom, what are swiss ball raises? Sounds er... fun.

I'm gonna check out the food thread - what a fabulous idea!

sportmom
01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Michelle, it's where you take one of those large exercise balls, put it between your feet and take it from the floor to the ceiling and back down again. Crazy hard - I picked it bc it looked fairly easy! HA!

michelle127
01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm it sounds similar to another killer abs routine - you place the ball between your feet and do a double crunch transferring the ball between your feet to your hands. Lay back down. Then up and transfer the ball from your hands to your feet, and so on.

WaterRat
01-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Eeek! My abs are screaming thinking about it.

So today's food was spot on, but exercise. Well, I had planned to leave the office at 4, go to the gym for weights, go home to eat, and back to town for the city council meeting at 7. Good plan - until someone I needed to talk to/work with, came in the office just before 4. At 5:30 I went home, ate a little, went back to the meeting, got home about 8:30. I did a so-so NRLW workout here, but now I'm feeling crummy, so I'm off to bed. I made it through DH's 3 week cold without catching it. I WILL NOT BE SICK!

jamsk8r
01-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Michelle, recently I've been looking for ab torture exercises. I will have to try that one! I'm doing shoulders/abs tomorrow for my crossfit day, so I'll get my chance then.

Pat, if you're primary looking for strength gains, I'd recommend the NRLW. If you want more bulge for your buck, do the BFL sets. Both are challenging and a good workout. NRLW is short and sweet, and my strength gains were pretty much constant, going up every workout. BFL workouts took me an hour, usually, but I could actually see my muscles getting bigger, which was nice, since that's part of why I wanted to lift weights, to have have muscles to fill out my looser skin.

Fran, on the SB raises, are you lying down, or standing?

Dixie, thanks for the recommendation on the tape measure. I'm still carless right now, but next time I'm at Walmart I'll see if I can find one.

I had a great UB workout tonight. Flat bench and BO rows were the main theme tonight, heavy sets to failure. I did 21s for curls...killer! I made it through 2 sets of those. Barely.

Tomorrow is crossfit day. :carrot: I saved shoulders and abs for tomorrow, since I missed that workout on Sunday. I'm in love with handstand pushup progressions. :love:

4rabbit
01-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi BFLL,

Fran, midwife: I'm located in the netherlands. So indeed I post and read when you guys are sleeping.

Wow, what a lot of post in the thread!
I can report on yesterday: my day 3, and today, day 4.
Yesterday I did the threadmill for 25 minutes and this morning I did LB. I made stuff up because I still have not found my BFL book. I guess DS swiped it when he wanted to bulk up this summer. I might go for NRWL tough, as I kind of liked the workouts when I last did that. Also, I am doing BFL-lite, so I am not following the intense pyramid stuff and I do the workouts at home everyday while my kids are in the shower. that gives me a 30 min time slot before I officially start my day.

So yesterday I did treadmill: 4 intervals of 3 mins walking at 5-6 km/hr and 2 mins running at 8 km/hr. I am pleased to report that I am less out of shape than I used to be. Also, I like the interval format, it makes the treadmill less boring.
This morning is did a quicky LB workout: just squats, lunges and calves with 40 pd BB and abs crunches. I really need to find my BFL book bak. i have the BFL for woman but on re-reading it I think I prefer the original one.

Food is still a challenge. I'll report that in the food thread. thanks for the sugfgestion of the protein pancakes tough, they sound like something I could try. Oh, and I tried cc for the fisrt time. Actually it was not bad.

Till tomorrow,
Rabbit

midwife
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi guys,

You all have been doing so great!!

This is a busy thread!!

Well, I sort of had a good day yesterday. Ran my intervals, ate on plan through the day, and then got home and binged. Why? Dunno, I'm sick, I was stressed, tired, hungry, it was there....I used to wonder "why" a lot but I guess the why doesn't even matter. I went to bed super early (8 pm) and slept straight through until 6 am. I guess I needed the sleep.....

Anyway, things I won't do: I won't beat myself up. I am human and therefore not perfect. I won't weigh today. Why torture myself further? I won't use it as an excuse to stay off plan.

Things I will do: push water like a fiend. Whenever I eat off plan I get super-dehyrdrated. I will stick to today's plan for food. I will lift weights tonight the way I had planned.

I will keep on keepin' on.

As for the bf % guys, I'm pretty sure it is all in my rear and stomach. I wish I had some in my boobs! But it is where it is and it doesn't seem to want to leave me.

Tomato
01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
.... I ate on plan through the day, and then got home and binged.

Anyway, things I won't do: I won't beat myself up. I am human and therefore not perfect. I won't weigh today. Why torture myself further? I won't use it as an excuse to stay off plan.

I am with you on this, midwife. I never beat myself up. I don't consider my occasional diversions from the on-plan-eating horrible. I guess I could say "I want to have my cake and eat it, too." :D
A grand case of emotional eating last night: I got home from Zumba and I was really stressed out by some personal stuff. I ate 500 ml of yogurt that has a lot of fat in it (is it Liberte? I think it's made in Quebec, dunno). 10% fat. Very yummy (very creamy - like having your Vermont cow ruminating right next to you in your living room) with some moccha flavour and oh God so delicious. I buy only rarely because I KNOW that I won't be able to control myself and have only half of it. Anyway, that's done, no regrets and moving on.[/QUOTE]

As for the bf % guys, I'm pretty sure it is all in my rear and stomach. I wish I had some in my boobs! But it is where it is and it doesn't seem to want to leave me.

I wish my fat would redistribute itself, too. But do you know what's funny - I actually read "It's all in my EARS and stomach". I clearly need more coffee! :D

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I just read this thread for the first time today, wanted to take a look at what you guys are doing because I plan to start this program in a few months when I'm back on my feet.

The first post I read is from Tomato talking about eating yogurt that is like having a Vermont cow ruminating right next to you in your living room.

I was a little out of sorts coming back to work after being out a week - thanks for the laugh to get me back on track! :) And, now I quite desperately want to try that yogurt!

sportmom
01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Fran, on the SB raises, are you lying down, or standing?

Umm, lying down! :D Tell me how I could do it standing? Oh, or did you mean sitting? I could visualize that. and Owww.......

Man, my abs were killing me so much last nite as I was making dinner! You ladies will appreciate this, I felt like I was in frontal labor, couldn't completely void, or was losing my insides. It felt better after I stood up and started moving but I think a ton of water in my gut and c-section like feelings down there really made themselves known. Crazy, but good stuff.

Boy oh boy, last nite was ROUGH. I had a chicken breast, baked beans for dinner and was VERY satisfied. That was at 6:30 and I really felt like I could make it thru the nite. WRONG. Let me recommend to everyone that you eat all your minimeals, even if it means you are having your last one at 8:30 or 9. Because the alternative is worse. I don't think I have ever been as hungry as I was last nite. And we are not supposed to be hungry on this plan, right? I couldn't sleep. After watching bad tv on and off until 1 am, I had to go get a yogurt to eat. Yogurt and ham was supposed to be one of my snacks yesterday but I got off track on my schedule with dd's being home and trying to work so not only did I not have my last snack but I had only 4 out of my 5 during the day. The yogurt didn't cut it; I had to do some emergency sheets in the middle of the nite from my dd and while I was downstairs I had to have a bowl of cheerios with ff milk. Only then could I finally go to sleep at 3:30. Woke up starving again at 8:20 and made sure I got my first meal in at 8:30! (And I'm still hungry?? It wasn't enough - 2 eggs scrambled, tiny bit of ff milk, and 1 slice of lf cheese scrambled into the eggs.) I will definitely be eating again at 10:30.

So question - if you are still hungry after your meal, should you eat more? Or stop and just make your next meal earlier? I know this is just my engine burning my fat, but my goodness. I don't want to damage my muscle growth and at this point I'm nowhere ready to do my ubwo yet today. :(

So I think this all stems from not getting all my nutrition in yesterday. Rough price to pay. Ah well, at least we haven't lost power from the ice storm. Altho our street looks just like a skating rink - exactly like, the same sheen, etc. Some kids were trying to get to their friends house and they had to go down on all 4's to get down the street after falling a few times.

sportmom
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Strangely, 2 hours later and I'm not starving anymore. So I didn't eat to fullness, but I guess the protein is doing its thing and filling my hunger. ??? :?:

Ilene
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
So question - if you are still hungry after your meal, should you eat more? Or stop and just make your next meal earlier? I know this is just my engine burning my fat, but my goodness. I don't want to damage my muscle growth and at this point I'm nowhere ready to do my ubwo yet today.
BFL says you should eat more, I read this somewhere - probably in the book -- a long time ago, I try to eat more veggies if I'm still hungry along with more water. .

4rabbit -- go here (http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/downloads/exercise_guide.pdf) for the workout.... this is what I used last night for my LB...

Lydia227
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Aha. So you are in the middle of the same storm as me. I'm so grateful I don't have to go anywhere.

Fran: I am also coming to the realization that I need all of those minimeals too. Usually I'm good with just four meals a day. That was when I had a workout in the midmorning that took the place of the morning meal after breakfast. When I would come home it would be time for lunch.

The last meal I would skip before bed because I was too tired to eat. I think it was possible also because I would have little handful of snacks when I became ravenous between my meals. Like a few almonds, the pretzels with mustard thing or fill up on diet soda.

This time I'm really trying to do it by the book. I'm hungry. I need at least five meals and that does mean breaking my cardinal rule of eating past 7:00pm this week.

It has to be planned though. If I just browse through and find something it will lead to a binge because then I really feel the need to satisfy hunger. It's like it stimulates it even more for me.

I don't know, I'm still a little touch and go with the evening meal. I'm hungry, no doubt, but if I start to look for something it just whets my appetite and then I'm looking to get to the "full" feeling which leads to overeating in my case.

I never feel like I've had a meal or satisfied until about twenty minutes after I walked away from the table. Then I'm good for oh, maybe an hour and then I'm ravenous again. :dizzy:

I think part of this for me is "letting go" of what I think I know and learning that it's okay to experiment. Listen to the body, watch the scale, how is our energy level, mood, patience for things etc. If I can let go of the idea that I should not eat after a certain hour, allow myself that meal then maybe I won't be as hungry when I wake up in the morning and frantically trying to get that oatmeal together. :lol:

I think it's okay to let go and experiment. Besides, we don't have to get it right the first time. But yes, I agree with you, don't skip the meals. Make certain that you are getting enough calories in overall, drink the water, green tea, and well, I'm getting in more coffee too. Gum. I also think that this is a level of adjustment for our bodies as well. Once we adjust it will probably become a little easier. We will probably automatically know what time it is by the level of hunger we feel. :lol:

kittycat40
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I did cardio monday, nada mucho yesterday-- did feel quite a bit of upper body soreness from long run with weighted backpack tho. And the backs of my hamstrings and inner thighs were sore too. unusual for me-- but I like it as it hinted that keeping a good form was having impact.

Seems like imma late starter here. no go on the ordering of the book at the lib. or an outright purchase. BUT I did see the web site today and it seems to have lots and lots of material there. Do you all think that might be adequate?

I'm pretty intimidated by HOW MUCH iI will have to do. Andthat I don't know all the jargon so I will have to keep referring to pictures or demos.

Well, I did tell DH that I was embarking on a 12 week lifting program. That I would not be able to sit/veg on the couch with him after he came home from work. He asked if I was joining a gym and I told him I was doing it at home "with my online buddies." :hug:

gotta tell yous-- I'm really so freakin tired at night. whaawhaawhaa. Am I more tired than I would like to be muscular and thereby a more likely (super-buff) maintainer? NONONONONONO.

allright, I actually came here to look for an attatchment for a lifting chart... but Susan B you hooked me up! :)

here's to my first night of hard core lifting!

dixied
01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I've been using the BFL excel spreadsheet version of the lifting log. I just flip open the laptop and update it as I go along. Sometime soon I plan to print it out, but it works for now.

kittycat - the BFL website has all the info you really need to start with. I did check the book out of the library, and a lot of the contents are the same as online. I plan to keep the book renewed for the entire 12 weeks, so if there is something you get stuck on let me know and I'll look it up. I do plan to keep my eye out for a used copy, and a copy of the Eating for Life cookbook. Cheapest I found online for that was $18.00.

For a lower body workout that doesn't target glutes, mine sure are sore today. I chose lb exercises that I knew would kill me though, because I was afraid the weights wouldn't be heavy enough. Silly me. :dizzy: Without look at the spreadsheet, I think I did squats, deadlifts, rear lunges, step ups, calf raises, lateral lunges, and then planks and something called "floor to toe reach". (which doesn't really describe the exercise at all). My abs aren't sore, so I'm thinking I needed to work them in a different way. When I finally get to the point where I outgrow my weight set and have to lift in the gym I will probably just use the captain's chair. I really wish I hadn't talked myself out of that dip station/captain's chair thingy at New Year's. I love my new dining room table, but the other would be so much more fun. Too bad there's only 2 minutes between the exercise sets, I guess I could speed up to the gym and hope there's no one using that station. It's normally only a 3 minute drive.

Enough rambling, I need to get back to work.

kittycat40
01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't think I can get double quote in so I am doing it manually - below is dixie's response to midwife's post.

Hey dixie, cheer up! Midwife's BF % has depressed me since summer or so - I may have to get myself some antidepressants for that! LOL :D (Midwife: I still love you though :hug: ).
I don't know how she does it, and she won't share her voodoo with me.:mad:

Ok, my stats as of this morning:
160 lbs (actually, the number on the scale dipped into the 159~ for the first time - woohoo - a taste of things to come :carrot: )
39 - 33 - 38.5 (darn boobs don't want to keep up with hips)
My last BF% is from January 6 but it will have to do - 22.7%.

Alena

I gotta tell you all, whenever I see midwife's bf% I get a tad green with envy, myself :p oh midwife you hard bodied half marathoner, you!!! we luv ya!:cool:

4rabbit
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi guys,

Just checking in to see how you are all doing.
Ilene - thanks a heap for the web address. i printed the list and I'll glue it into my exercise book. it was just what I needed.

Lydia, fran - the meals. Yeah. I have big problems in that area as well. I get hungry or bored and I have to remind myself that I am not allowed to eat. I am drinking a lot of hot water these days. But I know hte hunger and syugar cravings will get less, and i notice the protein powder is really truly doing its job. I'm also very glad to see that I am not the only one slipping up on some of the aspects of BFL. I think I'm like 80% on plan, but that is huge for me. Also writing down my food plan for the day strangely does help me keep on the track.

Till tomorrow, have a great day.
I find myself actually strangely looking forward to my 4 x 5 min intervals on th treadmill when I get out of bed tomorrow.

rabbit

Ilene
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Today was a very hungry day... so much for my great advice "eat more veggies and your hunger will go away" :rolleyes: At lunch I had my meal of egg whites and beans an hour later I had protein powder and oatmeal... Tonight I broke down and ate 2 granola bars... Not the worse thing I could've done but not on plan...

Today we're snowed in too so I shoveled the driveway that was a good workout...

I'm now very tired from the sugar in the granola bars, will I ever learn ? :frypan:

sportmom
01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I never feel like I've had a meal or satisfied until about twenty minutes after I walked away from the table. Then I'm good for oh, maybe an hour and then I'm ravenous again.

This is EXACTLY how I've been feeling!

gotta tell yous-- I'm really so freakin tired at night. whaawhaawhaa. Am I more tired than I would like to be muscular and thereby a more likely (super-buff) maintainer? NONONONONONO.

You are not alone in this - me too! waaaa And to think I've already been lifting and cardio'ing prior this, and had already given up my major sins of caffeine and sugar. What it would feel like to do this and go cold turkey on the sins and exercise/lift hard for the first time, I don't know.

My abs aren't sore, so I'm thinking I needed to work them in a different way.

Do you have a stability ball at home? See my earlier post about the stability ball lifts (they're in the champions book, not sure about the original). Killer. No gym required.

Well, finally got my ubwo done this evening. ANother messed up schedule day with the kids. I don't feel good working out in the basement if they're at a friends house or outside sledding bc you just can't hear what goes on when you're down there. It will be a short 12 hours until my interval cardio.

But hey, tomorrow's our midpoint of the first week, and for most, you're only 2 days away from a free day! (if you have the energy by then to even want to cheat :p) Yeah, I'm waiting for that energy high that they all talk about in the book too.

midwife
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi guys!

As far as the 14% goes, eh, who know for sure??? I'm just looking at the trend, so I needed a start to see where I am going.

I think my free day was last night. Sigh.....

I feel better on plan, though.

Sprint intervals in the morning. G'night all!

dixied
01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
I just finished my 2nd UB workout, and I have to say, for the record...I want my mommy! :D I can feel my biceps twitching as I type this. I switched out some of my exercises on my second try, and I think I'm finally getting better at judging if my form is correct or not. It takes me about an hour to finish, but sometimes I need to look up a video to see if I've got my position correct. I think I'd rather do it right than be ontime with Bill's schedule. Off to drink my protein shake.

kittycat40
01-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah, this is too much for my starting out self. I'm switching to the light version. For me that means last night I did 3 sets of high weight (my highest poundage) in 3 different UB exercises.

And that was a triumph for my I don wanna do it self.

Tomato
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Ilene, nice to see again! :wave:

I didn't go to the gym last night - I shoveled for about an hour (plus half an hour in the morning yesterday) and I thought maybe I would pop a work out DVD into the DVD player and do something at home but somehow it did not happen. Shame on me.
The main reason I decided not to go to the gym was because I really didn't want to be on the road again - there was ice under the snow and I had enough of it on the way from work.

This morning, I did a 20 min HIIT on the treadmill - just for fun, LOL - even though I have a Zumba class tonight. :D It made me feel better.

sportmom
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
HI girlies - welcome to being half way done with Week 1! Yea for us!

Had my sprint cardio this morning - still very hard, but good. I lived to talk about it! Even after the exhaustion of last nite's ubwo. Slept well last nite to hopefully make up for the nite before. Not feeling tired right now, feeling really good, looking forward to getting out of the house and going grocery shopping this weekend! Haven't been out of the house since Sunday!

Lydia227
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to a free day too. I think I'm going to make it. My free day will be Saturday. Mom is taking the kids for us and DH and I have a DATE! :love: It was a spur of the moment offer from her. Love those surprises.

Even with all of the snow and I we received yesterday I did venture out at 5:00am to hit the gym this morning. I am so proud of myself. You have to understand that I am a huge baby when it comes to driving on uncleared roads. The "monster truck", Honda Pilot, did beautifully on the roads this morning. The roads were spotty, Some spots were slushy others were clear and then you would hit another snow covered patch. Joy. But I got there and back without incident. A lot of schools are still closed so that helped to cut down on traffic on the way home.

My workout though really wasn't as stellar as I wanted it to be. I ran for twenty minutes. My squats were hideous. Two sets and the second set I only did seven before I said that was enough. I can usually do three sets of twelve. I muddled through one set of everything else and then did a yoga podcast. Well, part of it until I decided I just wanted to go back home. I think I need to be certain that I am getting enough overal carbs for the day or else I bottom out at the gym like this. Lesson learned. But isn't it great that we are learning about how to really listen to our bodies and it's needs?

Tomorrow is another day. I'm refueling, getting a little rest, lots of water and I'll be in good form. So long as it's not another snow day. 1 to 2 inches expected again. :rolleyes:

sportmom
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Your post reminds me of my triceps failure last night. I did skull crushers as my main set, and then on BFL after you do your 4 sets you are supposed to finish by going up to 12 reps one more time and then immediately choosing a different exercise for that same body part and cranking out 12 of it. I chose bench dips as my final act. I thought my arms were broken! I went down and couldn't get up!! I had to scrunch my feet in to lift. The second one I just collapsed on the ground and said, ok, well that's it - failure. I've actually worked to true failure now at least once. Usually I stop myself before complete failure! I think I need to not work that next to last 12 rep at such a high weight. You are SO RIGHT about lessons learned! Could be more lower carb levels too. Cutting out the potato chips & dip will do that to you!! ;)

4rabbit
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi BFLL,

I'm ofer the first week hump! I had actually forgotten about th free day, but I'm glad it came up since I have a party on saturday. So saturday will be my free day.

I did my 4 x 5 min intervals on the treadmill today straight out of bed, and I did 20 mins treadmill and 20 mins rowing at the gym tonight, when waiting for DD who had a dance class. I am still on BFL-lite, but still, I have done exercise every day of the week for the past 5 days and it actually feels quite good. Strange how a 20 - 30 min workout before my morning shower can have this effcit: I am feeling more energized.

Fran, lydia: You guys rock! be carefull though, I have read that lifting till failure increases the risk of injuries.

Tomorrow UB, and I'll be using Ilene's chart to guide me.

Have a great day 5 all,

Rabbit

WaterRat
01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, halfway through already! My free day will be Sunday, as I have a brunch to attend. My contribution will be boneless skinless chicken breasts - with a lemon sauce! But this is a French food themed brunch, so it's a good thing for a free day. :)

Tonight will be a combo weight and ss cardio workout. Hopefully I'll have enough strength to drive home afterwards! :lol:

Lydia - I always think of Pilot's as "monsters" since I drive a CRV! It does great for me though - high enough off the ground to get out of our driveway in the snow - which is why I traded up from my Toyota Camry, which I loved.

Ilene
01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
....and then on BFL after you do your 4 sets you are supposed to finish by going up to 12 reps one more time and then immediately choosing a different exercise for that same body part and cranking out 12 of it. Thank you for the reminder of how to do the sets, I'd forgotten, I was doing 12, 12, 10, 8, 6...still got an excellent workout, it makes more sense with doing the last set 12 rep again....I'd forgotten how intense the ubwo was, it also takes a much longer time than the lbwo... it was fun :strong:
Gotta go DD wants her laptop back :( ...

4rabbit
01-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi BFLL,

Day 6!

I have UBWO under my belt, my arm muscles are nicely tired and a bit sore. I still do not use the pyramid sets as presribed, but I did pick 2 exercises for each group from the chart, did 2 x 10 reps for each of them with sufficient weight so the last 1 or 2 reps are really really hard. And I added 10 dips for goos measure.

I've had m1, and I'll go post my food plans in the other thread.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

sportmom
01-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Hi friends! Am up right now bc of a strange phenomenon that I've had the last 2 nites when I've been awakened by arm pain!! I think it's from sleeping in a position that aggravates my healing muscles, but it goes from shoulder to elbow, so I don't think it's one muscle overworked per se (like worrisome shoulder joints) but rather just achiness. ANnoying, yes, but good in a weird way. Although missing sleep is never good.

Did my LBWO today, I'm actually 2 days removed from my ubwo. Ready for the cardio sprints tomorrow. DH is back finally from a trip, so next week will be my real challenge with my lunch buddy partner back in town.

sportmom
01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
And yet by some miracle I was still able to get up at 8 and hit the treadmill for my hiit. It didn't feel bad at all, had my 2 cheerleaders with me who kept asking me questions to make sure I could still talk. :cool: I may be ready to up it higher a notch on Tuesday.

How did everyone else's hiit go this morning?

Lydia, you had mentioned before having to eat toast before working out even tho it wasn't called for. Just wanted to let you know that bfl only calls for doing cardio on an empty stomach. For lifting, it does recommend that we eat an hour before lifting and then snack again within an hour after. But I know it's a challenge for you since you try to work it all in at the gym. But yeah, since you are lifting, I would def. think you need to eat something first.

Ilene
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi friends! Am up right now bc of a strange phenomenon that I've had the last 2 nites when I've been awakened by arm pain!! I think it's from sleeping in a position that aggravates my healing muscles, but it goes from shoulder to elbow, so I don't think it's one muscle overworked per se (like worrisome shoulder joints) but rather just achiness. ANnoying, yes, but good in a weird way. Although missing sleep is never good.

Did my LBWO today, I'm actually 2 days removed from my ubwo. Ready for the cardio sprints tomorrow. DH is back finally from a trip, so next week will be my real challenge with my lunch buddy partner back in town.Have you tried taking an Advil? I often take an Advil before bed in case of muscle soreness... OH and another thing that comes to mind, which I'd completely forgotten, the last time I did the BFL workouts I used to take Glutamine powder to help muscle recovery after a workout... I just went to the cupboard and found it, so I will definitely take that from now on...

Yesterday was my un intentional free day, the girls at work bought a cake for the January birthdays and I had a piece... I felt ugh :barf: the rest of the day and the carb downer stayed with me till I went to bed at 11pm, which is extremely early for me... I feel fine this morning... I hate carb/sugar downers, I get them worse when I am eating super clean...

Sportmom, I've got to get some of your energy, gimme it through the computer please :^: ... my HIIT this morning was housework :lol: ...

This afternoon I am making a turkey chili :hun: can't wait to have that for supper...

jamsk8r
02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Hey BFLL,

Sorry I haven't been checking in, but I've been trying to get my transportation issues straightened out. Anyway, now that I have some wheels to drive, I can get to the Y, which should help me get out of my workout slump. Tomorrow is going to be another busy day running errands. I've been without a car for a couple weeks, so am playing catch-up on everything now. I don't think I'll even give myself the guilt trip of trying to get in a workout tomorrow, but will just repack the gym bag and get everything ready for Monday morning. Then it's back to the Y and some actual workout equipment, woohoo! Eating has been OP, and water, just not workouts. Looks like everybody else is doing great, though! I'll catch up!

sportmom
02-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi guys! I'm going to go ahead and report my progress today, since being a free day probably won't improve the scales tomorrow. Looks like I lost 3.6 lbs last week! Yea!! And my bf% seems to have dropped 1.4 points lower than it was last week! Loving Body for Life, I think!

How's everyone else doing? Great, I hope! I'm going to go ahead and take weekly pictures on the weeks I think about it, so that I can compare. They do already look better today. 'Course I'm not terrified about the week ahead like I was last week, so that helps! :p Measurements, I'll stick to doing monthly tho.

midwife
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
3.6 pounds is fantastic!! Congrats!

Ilene
02-01-2009, 09:07 PM
sportsmom, :bravo: on the loss... I weigh-in Tuesday so I'll report then :crossed: ...

Lydia227
02-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Fran: Great job on the loss. I also had a nice three pound loss by Saturday morning. I allowed Saturday as my free day and went back up two pounds by Sunday morning weigh in. :lol: I'm FINE with it. If you would have known what I ingested that day you would not feel sorry for me. :rolleyes: So off to another great BFL week and more prudence on my free day.

Oh, and my Omron BodyFat anaylyzer was delivered over the weekend. The first time I took it my BF was 19%. I was so bummed because while it is a nice low number, my thought was at 19% I still have thighs that look like THIS?! (No definition and calves that still have visible cellulite. grrrr.)

I took it again in the am when you are supposed to, before drinking, eating, showering and had 21.2%. That actually made me happy. :crazy: This way I feel like I seriously have something to work with here. :lol3:

Okay. Off to shower. Good luck with the challenge this week everyone. :coffee:

midwife
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Oh Lydia! See, I think that is part of my problem. I know intellectually I have a good body fat percentage and I know I can work my tail off and it likely won't change much and I was thinking, I don't have much room for change. But then it occured to me---I have a ton of room to change in the other direction and that is reason enough to get strict here!