Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Where to get energy

I am such a slug right now. I seriously feel like just sitting or sleeping all day. I have *zero* energy and am barely getting basic chores done, much less anything truly active. I need some suggestions, or something. Where do you get your energy?

I know the literal answer is from food... and eating healthy foods and not junk helps some. But man, I am just dead tired in the winter, especially Jan/Feb, every year. I got out my S.A.D. full spectrum light and eat breakfast in front of it every morning. But I still just want to SIT.

I know I need to get up and move, but it is just like pulling teeth right now. I can't go outside much because it is icy cold/bad weather and I have a child with health issues so I am just stuck in the house a lot. I have the bike downstairs, and I do ride when I can pry myself off the sofa, but even then I am just draaaggging on the bike, forcing myself.

Help?
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #2  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I find taking B complex and Vitamin E really helpful in this. I take 50 mg of the Bcomplex and 400 mg of the E morning and night. I have more energy during the day, and deeper sleeps at night too Oh! And eating more berries helps me too (a cup a day), I don't know why

Last edited by kasmin; 01-25-2009 at 05:22 AM.
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #3  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Lyn-I have problems with energy in the winter also. This winter has been different for 2 reasons.

1. Excersise. It helps my sleep whick in turn gives me more energy.
2. Acai Berry. OK...the weightloss claims are bunk...but this stuff gives me tons of energy. I would be in complete hibernation mode right now without it.

DJ
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Try increasing the protein that you eat. Worked for me.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The winter is tough. I've personally had more then enough of it. Not that I have a choice. We're in for another brutal week of weather. Yuck.

What is it that you're eating? Give us a hint and maybe we can help you tweak it.

But I'm with Jay (usually am). Up the protein, lower the sugar, different varieties of veggies for different vitamins, yada, yada, yada. But really. Get the most from the foods that you eat. Make em' work for you.

Maybe get yourself a new exercise DVD to do since you're stuck inside.

And can you get a baby sitter, even once a week? Try to get out of the house by yourself. A special outting perhaps? Something to look forward to. Some shopping, a manicure, haircut. Something.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Vitamin B! I'm always shocked at how much better I feel when I'm taking it. Look for B 100's, and store them in your fridge!

What about the idea of having more fun in your life? You sound really down, so why not make a list of things that are fun, and try and incorporate that into your daily life. Fun can mean anything! For me, I think it's fun to call my grandma, so I make sure I call her at least once a week! I also think it's fun to listen to music, so I put some on when I'm exercising.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #7  

I have to agree with djay, my local cafe makes these acai berry smoothies and they wake me up like anything.. you can feel the energy.

I also think it's about a wall, energy creates energy so once you get exercising you will get more it's just about getting past that zone.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #8  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Do you like to dance? I am not an exerciser but I do like to turn on my favorite radio station and just dance. I do it while I clean house or fold clothes. The little bit of extra movement seems to perk me up a bit. My mood seems a little elevated and I feel more energetic.

I have SAD too. Some winters are worse than others. This one doesn't seem to be as bad. I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing drugs or anything but have you thought of trying an SSRI (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc)? Some people start it in late September and take it through the winter and wean off during the sunny months.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #9  

Hey guys, sorry I am a bit ignorant on the topic but what is SAD?
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Hey guys, sorry I am a bit ignorant on the topic but what is SAD?
Seasonal Affective Disorder -

What is seasonal affective disorder?
Seasonal affective disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that is triggered by the seasons. The most common type of SAD is called winter-onset depression. Symptoms usually begin in late fall or early winter and go away by summer. A much less common type of SAD, known as summer-onset depression, usually begins in the late spring or early summer and goes away by winter. SAD may be related to changes in the amount of daylight during different times of the year.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ssion/267.html

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-25-2009 at 09:50 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the thread Lyn, I am so there with you right now. Maybe I have SAD, I don't know. This year our weather has been so dark and gloomy for the last couple of months, we hardly ever see the sun. I think my eating is okay. I'm SB and get plenty of protein and tons of veggies, no added sugars. I had a cold the week before last, and just feel like I haven't gotten my energy back since. My house is really starting to show it. On top of that tons of stress at work and with my close friend's serious illness, I just wish I could lay in bed and read all day. Just stay there until springtime comes...

I'm not exercising, I know that's at least part of the problem. I'm going to work harder at forcing myself to do it.
And there's very little fun or me time in my life these days. I should work on that too.

Anyway Lyn, I see little signs that spring is coming. It's staying light a little longer now. Soon we will be playing outside and feeling much better!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I get this way too. In fact, I was just lying in bed. My warm, comfortable bed, thinking I should get up, brush my teeth, and head to the gym....but my bed is sooooo warm and comfy....and outside is so cold and wet. I was having an inner struggle with myself. One part of me said, I would feel so much better once I got to the gym. I began to imagine myself jogging on the treadmill and how good that would feel. The other part, wanted the warmness of the bed. Let's just say, I am typing this out of my bed, and I"m ready to start my day off right by going to the gym!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #13  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

no joke. I literally just slept 14 hours. (ok so sad combined with MS doesnt make for good winters) I've been using my light since November and exercising atleast 40 -90 minutes a day.

winters are really hard to get through this far north... it was even drastically better in vancouver when I was out there. something about this latitude changes my entire personality in the winter. I just try to stay conscious of it and know it will pass.. and then i can go shopping for spring clothing!! wooo hooo

Last edited by valpal23; 01-25-2009 at 02:12 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #14  

You guys gave me some great suggestions. I am definitely going to try the B vitamins (and be more diligent about my multi). I've seen acai berry puree (no sugar) in the frozen section. I'll get some and try it.

Robin, here's what my daily menu looks like, most of the time:

Breakfast: about 5 days a week I eat oatmeal with ground flax added and I love it. I usually stir in 1/2c pumpkin and maybe a bit of agave nectar and cinnamon, with walnuts on top. Once or twice a week I eat egg beaters with light cheese and turkey sausage and baby spinach in a low carb tortilla wrap or on a whole grain english muffin. I have a Clementine with it.

Snacks have been almonds, pineapple, yogurt.

Lunch: about 4 days a week is a huge salad of baby spinach and vegs, with a nut (walnuts, almonds or pine nuts), a cheese (light cheddar or gorgonzola, not much just a bit), a protein (hard boiled egg whites, chicken breast, or beans), maybe a crumbled piece of bacon, and a fruit (pomegranate seeds, strawberries, dried cranberries or orange segments). I use a homemade apple cider vinaigrette. I might have a few crackers with it.

Dinner: varies a lot. WHole grain pasta with tomato sauce (but mine is mostly steamed zucchini and mushrooms topped with a few noodles and sauce) with turkey italian sausage... or low fat beef stroganoff over sauteed squash... or maybe chicken and broccoli... or salmon with brown rice and peas...tomorrow will be grilled flatiron steaks (lean) with a half sweet potato and steamed broccoli.

When I eat any sweets I get more tired, so I try to avoid them. I drink a LOT of tea during the day... maybe 3c green and 3-4c chai, black, or herbal, usually with a few drops of agave nectar and occasionally with a splash of low fat milk. I drink a lot of water.

Suggestions on the meals? I do have a powdered protein shake mix, I wonder if that would be a better "energy" snack.

p.s.... I only get 6-7 hours of sleep a night, but that's better than I'd been getting.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 01-26-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #15  

Swimgirl~

I totally need more fun. My husband telling me he is divorcing me just sucked the fun right out of me. I need to get over it and live. I need to enjoy the moment more.

Michelle~
I actually had a really ugly run-in with Prozac and then Paxil over ten years ago. I won't go into a lot of detail, but let's just say SSRIs and I do not get along. And I don't think I am technically depressed. Maybe. But I am just so freaking tired!

Robin~
lucky for me I do send my daughter to a mini daycare for two mornings a week so she can play with friends and I can get a break. The last 2 weeks the daycare was closed on Mondays, plus tomorrow it is closed too so I've been spending the one morning a week she is there, I come home and clean and bike and pay bills, no fun. I need to plan something for ME. Maybe a pedicure.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 01-26-2009 at 01:08 AM.