100 lb. Club - Low Calorie, Low Carb, Low Fat?

View Full Version : Low Calorie, Low Carb, Low Fat?

DishyFishy
01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
What approach are you taking to tackle your excess weight, and how's it working out for you?

DishyFishy
01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
This time around I'm doing low-carb, mod-protein, and high-fat. I'm not consciously counting calories, but my tracking tool shows they come in at about 1900 a day. With the exception of sugar-free jelly and DaVinci S-F syrups, I don't use any packaged/processed foods.

My progress is slightly slower than when I did a low-fat, high-carb (whole foods) WOE. I weigh 3 pounds more on the scale (compared with what I'd lost at the 12 week stage last time on 1600 kcals a day), but my measurements (bust, waist, and hips) are the same.

Overall I have more energy and less hunger. I'm wondering whether that's the extra 300 kcals a day, or the different composition of macronutrients.

mygritsconfessions
01-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I doing the low calories, trying to stay at 1600 for now. I am also trying to stay away from red meats, high fats and sugars. Just trying to eat healthier. This is how I have lost weight to this point, along with exercise.

kaplods
01-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I've chosen a low carb exchange plan (so it's controlled calorie as well). Because the carb count is a bit higher than many low-carb plans, maybe controlled carb is a better description). I'm also finding a heck of a time sticking with it, but I think some of that is cabin fever. I'm so ready for spring.

chick_in_the_hat
01-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I would call it "controlled calories" more than low calories. It works just fine combined with exercise. If I could talk myself into buckling down to low calories I could probably take off the last few. Nuff said :p

grneyedmustang
01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm "good carbing (low carb)" it for now on South Beach. It seems to be working so far (when I stay on plan, of course).

nelie
01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Actually its hard to fit my plan into one category. All plans need to be low calorie in order for you to lose weight, how you achieve that depends up to you. Carby foods tend to pack calories and make you hungry which is why low carb works. Low fat works by removing the high calorie fat foods from your diet.

My diet is whole foods, vegan, relatively low fat, restricted carbs with monitored low calorie. I don't eat any animal products, I eat some healthy fats but not a lot, I eat some carby items but avoid high carby items such as bread, pasta, etc but will eat a limited amount of whole grains and currently I'm doing weight watchers.

pengbear
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm doing Atkins, so low-carb and high fat is what I concentrate on. For me, carbs are such a trigger for to binge it's best for me to detox through induction, and not have to deal with cravings except for the hormonal cravings near my cycle. With Weight Watchers, I just couldn't get past the binges, because the carbs were allowed in moderation. If I could handle moderation, I wouldn't have gained all this weight to begin with!!:D

DishyFishy
01-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Congrats on your incredible loss, nelie, and everyone else for that matter! :cheer2: That's a serious number of pounds that have been seen off!

All plans need to be low calorie in order for you to lose weight, how you achieve that depends up to you.
I'm not convinced that this statement is entirely accurate. There's a lot of controversy surrounding how the body utilises different macronutrients, and some schools of thought dispute that all calories are treated the same.

When I'm a bit further along with my journey I fully intend to do a mini study of my own to see how different proportions of carbs, fat, and protein affect my weight and measurements.

If I could handle moderation, I wouldn't have gained all this weight to begin with!!:D
I never used to think I had a problem with carbs, but my sister reminded me of the time we were at the Indian restaurant, and I was insisting we needed more rice. I said, "you'd be surprised at how much rice I can eat"; and she was! :o

lottie63
01-24-2009, 09:23 PM
oops. I accidently hit low carb instead of low calorie. but I"m sort of doing a smidge of both.

nelie
01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Congrats on your incredible loss, nelie, and everyone else for that matter! :cheer2: That's a serious number of pounds that have been seen off!

I'm not convinced that this statement is entirely accurate. There's a lot of controversy surrounding how the body utilises different macronutrients, and some schools of thought dispute that all calories are treated the same.

When I'm a bit further along with my journey I fully intend to do a mini study of my own to see how different proportions of carbs, fat, and protein affect my weight and measurements.

Well I think it depends although I did read that the average person in China eats more calories than the average american but they are a lot more active than us too.

Randi
01-24-2009, 09:40 PM
I count calories - watch my carbs - and I don't eat much meat, fish or poultry (like a couple of times a month). I eat a lot veggies and try to stay away from processed foods :devil:. I have been wondering if I need to add more protein to my diet.....

GirlyGirlSebas
01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I watch the calories, eat unprocessed foods, no added sugar or HFCS, watch the fruits, and limit the whole grains....basically, South Beach. I do agree with Nellie that calorie control is imperative to weight loss. However, I also have to watch my natural sugar intake and my starch intake. Too much of these and I don't lose despite how careful I am with my calories.

heather88
01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm doing a Low-fat Low-cal diet. It has been working amazingly well. Everyday I learn something new, though. I often change my meals up everyday to try and make it better. Like just recently I added more protein. The weight is coming off at about 3lbs a week on average.

activeadventurer
01-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Nice to see you dishyfishy. I was doing the whole foods, controlled carb approach (not low) but just couldn't lose any weight. I have moderated it to include lower calorie and low fat foods and find that that has given me a little nudge in the downward direction.

FB
01-25-2009, 02:12 AM
I calorie count and also pay close attention to lowered carbs and higher healthy fats and lean proteins. I eat often, sometimes it seems every hour! I picked and chose pieces of plans from successful losers here and from the people I admired at my gym.

Since last May, I've changed my diet/mentality from eating to lose weight to eating to lift & transform myself and have lost quite a bit in the process. The bodybuilders (both men and women) at my gym have these amazing, lean physiques. I wanted that too! I realized that to attain it I would need to do like them, not just lose weight. I worried about that being achievable for me, especially as I had a lot of weight to lose. I wanted to eliminate post weight loss 'droop' as much as possible. Amazingly, it's working.

Plus side is I get to eat. A LOT and often! :)

hautbois
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I picked low-calorie because I'm tracking calories, but it's not really low-cal (1800-2000 cal/day). I'm consuming less fat than before, but that's so I can stay within my cal limit. This, along with brisk walks on the treadmill.

valpal23
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
i was 'low calorie' staying about 1700 a day while i lost a lot of weight. Now I stick around 2000. i'm high carb, mod. fat and low protein (which i'm trying to change with beans! i've been eating a batch of kidney bean burgers for a week:P )

LookingForMeAgain
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I know this sounds so cliche but Im just changing my lifestyle.
Yes I am counting calories but Im not 100% with it.
I just make better choices. Ive cut out the soda. Limited eating out to once a week and then I get tea for a treat without the caffeine. I try to get grilled chicken or smaller portions or Ill have a burger if Im craving it but no fries or onion rings ect.

I have to have something sweet so I have a cabinet full of low calorie options and a fridge full of sugar free jello. I had to learn which items were triggers for me even in the low cal versions though. For example I cant have snackwells cookies Ill eat them all in one day!

I eat oatmeal or special k for breakfast and ussually a flat out hawain pizza for lunch instead of binging on candy and junk until dinner time. I have grapes for snacks. Im drinking more water.
I am slowly changing things. I dont want to feel deprived and then binge. So I dont deny myself anything. I have even had one pepsi this month but ya know what it tasted nasty!

So far last month without calculating or controlling anything just making some changes I lost about 10 pounds. And this month Ive been counting my calories a little closer and not had but the one pepsi and limiting the eating out Ive lost 2lbs each week.
So something must be working! But I do want to get rid of the processed foods and eat more veggies and fruits and get my calories lower.

justducky2
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Actually its hard to fit my plan into one category. All plans need to be low calorie in order for you to lose weight, how you achieve that depends up to you. Carby foods tend to pack calories and make you hungry which is why low carb works. Low fat works by removing the high calorie fat foods from your diet.

My diet is whole foods, vegan, relatively low fat, restricted carbs with monitored low calorie. I don't eat any animal products, I eat some healthy fats but not a lot, I eat some carby items but avoid high carby items such as bread, pasta, etc but will eat a limited amount of whole grains

Yep...what nelie said! Low fat, restricted carbs, low cal, vegan! I follow Dr. Neal Barnard's plan (a plant-based woe) and the Lifestyle Center of America's 30 day diabetes miracle plan (corny name for sure, but basically a plant-based diet with monitored carbs for the diabetes aspect).

rodeogirl
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I voted other because I'm calorie counting which I wouldn't consider low-cal because I eat high calorie foods, just in moderation.

rodeogirl
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I think it depends although I did read that the average person in China eats more calories than the average american but they are a lot more active than us too.

If you're not expending more calories than you're consuming you will gain weight. I don't think any science says differently. Now how you get your body to consume more calories has all kinds of permutations.

onestar
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM
i'm doing low fat because i figure since fat is what i'm trying to get rid of, then eat small amounts (of good fats), and low processed carbs because of my PCOS.

:idea:

TJFitnessDiva
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I guess I'm on the calorie counting thing but also watching everything else - wagon. ;) WW is hard to group in the ones you requested.

nicki rose98
01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Low calorie seems to be working well for me. I'm losing so that's always a plus!!

thistoo
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Mine's a combination of low calorie and low carb, I guess. Carbs are most important to restrict for me, but they're also the hardest. I have a pretty tough time, so it's slow going, but it's the only way I ever lose any weight.

S.A.S.H
01-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Hmm. I calorie count, but I wouldn't call it low calorie. I try to stay between 1400-1700 (wide range ain't it? :lol: ) but I also make sure my fat is from "good fats" and my carbs are from veggies, dairy or limited whole grains. I try to manage my macros so that its Protein, carbs and fat in that order.

epiphany4z
01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I have just cut portion sizes and stopped eating junk at this point..I used to eat for like 3 people...now I eat for one....I am taking it real slow I am trying to work on life changes I can live with and not feel deprived or left out. I also have diabetes so have to be careful of cutting anything back to far or my sugar falls. so far I am full happy and suspect I am loosing...no scale I wont know till Feb 4 when I see my nutritionist.