Weight and Resistance Training - How often do you workout with your trainer?

--pearl--
01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of gal where my workouts are concerned. But, I think some feedback would really help me. Unfortunately, I can't afford a trainer for every workout...maybe not even every week. I'm just not sure if the occasional session with a trainer will be worth the spent time and money.

For those of you who have a personal trainer, how often do you work out with them? Every workout? Weekly? Monthly? Are occasional sessions with a trainer worth it or a waste?

Thanks in advance,
--pearl--

mandalinn82
01-23-2009, 04:24 PM
My 2 cents - a twice-a-month trainer session CAN be worth it...IF you are willing to kick your own butt the rest of the time.

I had a total of 20 sessions with a trainer, and spread them over several months, meeting with him once a week. We would alternate and focus upper body one week and lower body the next. In each session, he'd develop a program for me that would keep me challenged for the next two weeks...weight and exercises. So every 2 weeks I'd get a new program for both UB and LB.

Then, 2 more times a week, I came to the gym on my own and did those workouts he mapped out for me, so that I was working UB 2 days per week and LB 1. If it was a leg week with the training, I did the UB routine twice in addition. If it was an UB week, I did 1 leg and one UB without him.

Lifting every month or so isn't going to do you any good. But if you find a trainer who is willing to make you a program (they are somewhat hard to find, as obviously a trainer would prefer you work out with them 3 times a week), and you push yourself hard the rest of the time, a few sessions can make a big difference.

JulieJ08
01-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Id' bet these days they would take any business they can get. I bet personal trainers are one of the first luxuries people drop. But if they will really help you out, I don't think it's so much a luxury. Certainly not compared to cable TV :D

Mel
01-23-2009, 08:50 PM
As a client, I worked with my trainer once a week, always leg day. He could push me harder than I was able (at that time) to push myself.

As a trainer, I had clients who worked with me 4,3,2 times a week, or clients who booked a session once or twice a month to get new exercises. As long as they told me what their intentions and expectations were, it worked fine.

Mel