Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Default Made Hummus before? easy/cheap/great

Have you ever made Hummus before? I have not been a Hummus fan, but I wanted something to take to large groups, and many of the people I hang with are vegetarians and eat alot of bean based foods. SO I thought I would try it.

Now I will say that my impression of store bought hummus was "Ok but reminded me of dirty socks".........

So last night my son whipped up a batch for me, under my direction.
1 can 15 ounces of chick peas
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 full head of roasted garlic (cut off very top, drizzle tiny bit of EVOO, wrap in tin foil and roast for 45 minutes, let cool, sqeeze out cloves)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic (I am a garlic junkie)

Whirl up in food processor till smooth, I made a double batch and it took awhile, so long that the hummus was actually warm from the motor in the processor! eeek!

You can add roasted red pepper, or chopped kalamata olives (dont add salt then) you can use yogurt instead of the olive oil, mix up your spices as you like, but it was great, and really low fat compared to the store bought that has Tahini in it (seaseme and oil) I did not miss the seaseme tastes, especially since I did not like traditional hummas in the first place.
Chopped celantro would be good with it too!

Give it a try, my huge batch, enough to share with three friends (double batch) only cost about $5 to make, The store bought that is $3-5 is in a tiny little container, I could easily fill 8 times!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 347/274/180

Height: 5'6"

I love hummus! This sounds wonderful!!! I'll also add a piece of unsolicited advice... stick to RedFlame's instructions and use the food processor. I tried to use my blender, and am now blender-less. It didn't like the chick peas.
ANewLife4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #3  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

That looks really good, RedFlame! Thanks for being our test kitchen and inventive chef.

Sorry about the blender, ANewLifeForMe --- I just hate when stuff like that happens. That kind of annoyance is like being nibbled to death by ducks.....
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

What does hummus taste like? I'm a recovering veggie phob and am too scared to try it. Also, is there any recipe without a food processor?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #5  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewLife4Me View Post
I love hummus! This sounds wonderful!!! I'll also add a piece of unsolicited advice... stick to RedFlame's instructions and use the food processor. I tried to use my blender, and am now blender-less. It didn't like the chick peas.
LOL I did that too one time... ahaha
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #6  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
What does hummus taste like? I'm a recovering veggie phob and am too scared to try it. Also, is there any recipe without a food processor?
It doesn't taste like anything else but Hummus in my oppinion. Definitely worth the try though, it doesn't taste anything like a vegetable!
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

texture is kinda like a bean dip, but with the lemon it does not taste like bean dip, thats the best I can do LOL
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yep, agreed. I have posted several times about the wonders of hummus. I will also make them into patties, pat with a wee bit of flour and fry them in nonfat cooking spray. I eat them with lettuce, tomato, pickle, whatever.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I would say the description of it being like a lemony bean dip is as close as you'll get. It's a pretty distinct taste.

With all new foods give yourself a few chances to try it. It's normal for our brains to be skeptical of any new food. The first time I've tried a number of things I thought I didn't like it, but then realized it was more I didn't know if I liked it or not and was reacting to it being different. Since then I've learned to eat a lot more foods. And it's taken about 10 years but as of two days ago I can finally drink tea (green tea) and enjoy it.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I absolutely love hummus, when I make it, I generally omit the olive oil and add tahini.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #11  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I dont like lemon in my food. Would it be worth making without lemon? Also, I have to eat low carb, so I cant diip chips or anything in the hummus. What else can you eat it with?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I eat hummus with veggies. Red pepper strips, celery, baby carrots, broccoli, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

I'm eating humus & baby carrots right now. Yum. I haven't tried making my own yet. I by the grocery store brand that is 45 cal for 2T.

My 3.5 year old son just walked up and stuck his finger in it...he didn't approve...apparently because it wasn't a corn dog or goldfish cracker...we are trying to expand his tastes.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
OK imagine something with BOTH the most vile texture AND taste and there you have it!

hahah of course that's one girl's opinion, lots of folks love it -- but never be afraid to try something! it's one lousy bite, won't kill you and maybe you'll just love something you haven't been brave enough to try yet
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Black bean hummus is great too. Oh now I want hummus!
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote