South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Artificial Sweeteners?

I am on my first week of P2, and am VERY slowly transitioning off of P1 (I've added back apples and carrots this week). All week long, I have had terrible gas pains, been very "backed up," and felt pretty off. At first I blamed the apple, but then I realized that--with the sugar free yogurts and puddings, and the splenda in my coffee and cottage cheese, and my cinammon omelets every morning, I am probably eating 3x or 4x as much artificial sweeteners as the past two weeks. I think this must be the culprit.

Anyways, I am trying to quit sweeteners cold turkey, at least for the next few days, before I start reintroducing slowly. Anyone have any good ideas for desserts or sweets to get me by?

Thanks!!!
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #2  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default A Suggestion

I'm not on the Beach anymore. I was at one time but I started WW. My suggestion is switching to Stevia for a sweetener. It is all natural and the brand I use, which is Sweet leaf plus, has added fiber. This particular sweetener actually promotes digestive health and regularity. This might help. I know personally speaking it has help my internal workings. It is also no calories or fat. Just a thought.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #3  

Thanks for the advice... I've heard some mixed reviews on the product, but it's certainly worth a shot (and can't be worse than all of the other chemicals I've been putting in my body!)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Default sweetners

Hi,

I am not on SB but WW however I have had issues with sweetners, I have found that 90% of the time it is aspertane not splenda in the products, so I would double check on which sweetner they are using I can not use anything with aspertane, only splenda or stevia I have found that to be a great alternative as well it is just harder to find.

Best of Luck

Cheryl
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I personally find it much easier to limit dessert to once a week (with real sugar) than to try to get by with low/no calories sweeteners every day. The former leaves me not thinking about dessert and definitely not craving junk. The latter leaves me wanting sweets and junky sweets at that, all the time. It took a little adjustment, because I was having tons of sweets, but now it's a real pleasure now to be out of having-sweets-every-day mode.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #6  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I 100% agree with Julie. I quit eating/drinking artificial sweeteners a few years ago and discovered the joy of a little, infrequent real sugar instead. My sugar cravings are now few and far between. If I make the mistake of drinking a diet coke, I instantly have sugar cravings again. It feels great to be rid of all the artificial junk. Also, eating real sugar in small doses allows me to know exactly what I've done and I'm less likely to go overboard with it. Too many of us have become victims of eating the entire box of Snackwells or 4 sugar free fudgcicles because they are "diet" food and "healthy"...It's not easy to give up sugar or fake sugar - they are both difficult. Make the choice that works for you, but I can say going without sweeteners has been a great thing for me. Good luck!!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #7  

That's very good advice. I've cut out diet soda since I started SB (because I typically drink A LOT of it), but what good is that doing if I'm ODing on splenda? I think I may wait awhile though before attempting real sugar in moderation... I'm only just beginning, and I don't want to derail myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I haven't had a problem with Splenda, although Nutrasweet (aspartame) can give me a headache. I have read that many of the sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol) cause many to have GI issues (bloating, gas, diarrhea). Have never heard of them having consitipation as one of the effects though. I was pretty constipated on SB in the first few months until I ate more beans. That seemed to solve that issue for me, although I still have lots of gas issues. I eat a ton of cauliflower and broccoli and I think that is the gas instigator for me. I tried the new Truvia sweetener but didn't like the taste of it, but I know many SB gals use agave or stevia for sweeteners.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote