Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default TOM-Cant STOP Eating

I feel like I am starving but I cant be. I am trying to keep the foods at least somewhat healthy but I have already stopped count cals. So far today I have had 2 cups of coffee(non flavored, splash of milk)a bowl of cereal. It was Optimum Slim(1cup) with Skim milk(3/4cup) then I decided instead of my between breakfast and lunch snack, I would just eat lunch early. I had a large bowl of left over soup. Soup contained, lots of tomato sauce, cabbage, lean hamburger, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Then my son fixed his lunch and his sandwich look so good, I HAD to have it, so I made me one. On the quest to fill fuller, I used 1 slice double protein bread and 1 slice double fiber. Then I added, full fat mayo, a slice of ham, a piece of cheese(Kraft 2%) and a half a banana(I know its weird, but putting a banana on my sandwich is something I have done since I was kid) and i have had 32 oz of water I still want to eat. I'm eyeing a LC panini at the moment and maybe a piece of dark chocolate. Its only 12:45pm I started eating at 9am.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

This happened to me last week (TOM as well) and i just tried to eat lower cals at once, spread them throughout the day more so that I could eat a lot more and stay within' my cals.

good luck!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie63 View Post
This happened to me last week (TOM as well) and i just tried to eat lower cals at once, spread them throughout the day more so that I could eat a lot more and stay within' my cals.

good luck!
Lottie that's such good advice! When TOM comes by for me I'm the same way eating everything in site! Another suggestion....maybe take whatever you eat and cut it in half or fourths, that way at least if you eat the entire thing you can try to stretch it out through the day and hopefully be satisfied with just that and not go on to something else. Good luck, the curse of being a woman!!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes I wonder if TOM isn't a excuse for us to eat.
I used this excuse every month, until one month my period didn't come (never happened before) and I had to eat anyway... Now I have a 5 years birth control and shouldn't have period but I still have those craving days during the month...
so, that make me wonder.... hmmmm
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This happened to me yesterday. What I ended up doing is continue to count everything because otherwise I'll go crazy and kept my choices sane. I got through the day within an appropriate level despite eating all day yesterday.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vealcalf2000 View Post
Lottie that's such good advice! When TOM comes by for me I'm the same way eating everything in site! Another suggestion....maybe take whatever you eat and cut it in half or fourths, that way at least if you eat the entire thing you can try to stretch it out through the day and hopefully be satisfied with just that and not go on to something else. Good luck, the curse of being a woman!!!!
lol I cut the sandwich in half, put 1 up, but I ate both halves anyway.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I do get starving sometimes around TOM, so I do eat more. Doesn't seem humane to me to go hungry. But I try to stick to healthy, filling foods, and not eat mindlessly and never stop. It passes.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #8  

I wish I was just craving something specific, then no matter how bad the thing is I want, I would just eat it an deal with it. But I want EVERYTHING. I ate a cold sandwich, I never eat that, never want that and I don't want to munch snacks, I want meals.

Last edited by willow650; 01-22-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #9  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

did a quick search on menstruation and appetite because a nurse i lived with last year told me that your body needs more energy during or pre-menstruation. found an interesting article about menstrual cycle and appetite (link at end):

Menstrual Cycle and Weight

While there may be minor changes in metabolism, food intake and cravings throughout the menstrual cycle in addition to possible water retention, these will not impact weight-loss success.

SEPTEMBER, 2007—Food cravings, overeating and weight gain are commonly reported during the one to two weeks before menstruation occurs. But what is the science to support these symptoms, and what is their impact on weight-loss success?

Food Intake and Metabolism
While overeating is the popular perception, research has shown that there are only minor changes in actual food intake throughout the menstrual cycle. Most studies suggest an increase in eating of around 100 to 200 calories in the days before bleeding occurs,1,2 but this appears to be offset by the small rise in metabolism (around 5 to 10 percent)3 that occurs during the same time period. In other words, the body tends to adjust the calories in/calories out on its own. Therefore, in a weight-stable state, no changes in weight will occur.

However, if actively losing weight by following a restricted-calorie food plan, the likely result would be a slight (but hardly noticeable) increase in weight loss due to the increased metabolism without the usual increase in calories. Alternatively, the result instead could be a slightly greater difficulty in following the food plan because of increased hunger during that period.

Food Cravings
Although food cravings are commonly reported during certain times of the menstrual cycle, the scientific evidence on the subjects is limited. Some smaller studies suggest a link, particularly a craving for high carbohydrate sweets.4,5 These studies also show that cravings tend to occur more often in women with premenstural syndrome (PMS) and that the cravings increase as symptoms worsen.6 While more research is needed to understand food cravings, the good news is that they do not appear to translate into large increases in calorie intake and subsequent weight gain.

Water Retention
The most likely reason for a weight gain is water retention. While this is a common symptom that can be particularly discouraging when following a structured food plan,7 the weight gain is usually minor and temporary (that is, any weight that is gained is lost around the time of menstruation). Furthermore, water retention can be lessened during this time period by making small dietary changes, like reducing sodium and increasing fluids.

Bottom Line: Major fluctuations in eating and weight during certain periods of the menstrual cycle are a common perception, but studies done in the area find that the changes are minor, temporary and will not impact weight-loss success.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...d=42321&sc=801
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belezura View Post
Sometimes I wonder if TOM isn't a excuse for us to eat.
I used this excuse every month, until one month my period didn't come (never happened before) and I had to eat anyway... Now I have a 5 years birth control and shouldn't have period but I still have those craving days during the month...
so, that make me wonder.... hmmmm
well, your hormones still fluctuate when you aren't having your period. For example, I (and I get my period once every 3 months due to the pill) and some others I know, still get monthly pms even without a period. It's pretty normal.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #11  
Make thisbe for something

S/C/G: 254/228/160

I have the WORST problem with this. I try to drink water, chew gum, eat filling but healthy foods and it just doesn't help.

I just started back on BC about three months ago to help manage the hormones. I also take B-Complex and Evening Primrose Oil as well. That has helped a little.

I don't know what else to say b/c I haven't found a better solution either unfortunately.
mypunkrockromance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #12  

I use to take EPO, but it was when I was pregnant to thin the cervix BC isnt really an option for me, well I guess it could be but my husband got a vasectomy 5yrs ago. I haven't been on BC since I was 18 and that was the Depo shot, only took it 2 times.

I finally stopped eating but its because I started scrubbing the kids bathroom, what ever works right?. then the kids and hubby came home. My husband is getting a bigger clothing allowance than he thought and wants to go find a wii fit. I really don't think we will find one though.

If the worst think I put in my mouth is some full fat mayo, then I think I am ok today...lol

Last edited by willow650; 01-22-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #13  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I find that those days of being extra-hungry or just really wanting to eat MORE, or having cravings, are balanced by days of feeling less hungry and like I don't care about food. Last week, before TOM, I was eating more because I was hungrier; but this week, post-TOM, I am eating less because I'm just not so interested in food.

I guess I'm saying: Try not to worry about it so much. Listen to your body and eat the healthy foods that it's telling you it wants.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm having this very issue myself. You actually do burn more calories during TOM, which has some reason for the need to eat. I try to plan in a few calorie dense snacks like peanut butter, or nuts. I try to stay away from empty carby foods - or I will eat a house worth!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Height: 5'5"

Try L-Glutamine, it works great for cravings.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote