Exercise Equipment - Daily Treadmill Workouts

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Daily Treadmill Workouts

Mercee
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I am looking for people who are interested in posting regularly about our workouts on the treadmill. Maybe we can motivate each other and cheer each other on. Anyone interested? I workout on my treadmill 4 days a week and would love to have talk to others. I have lots of weight to lose so I will be here for awhile.

lumifan4ever
01-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't have a treadmill but i have an elliptical. I could talk about how long i did my workout, how many miles i went, how often and how long i revved up my high intensity, and so forth if you don't get anyone else with a treadmill wanting to join.

Mercee
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for replying. That would be great. I would love to talk. How often do you workout?

dream710
01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Mercee-I'll join ya. I used to spend an average of 30-60 minutes running on the treadmill every other day. But then ended up preggers so that slowly went to the down the tubes. I've now delivered and am ready to get back into the swing of things. I have to start slowly, but hopefully in no time I'll be back in my prepregnancy exercising form.

Today-25 minutes

Mercee
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Dream _ it is great to hear from you. We are both starting over somewhat. I had major surgery( 2 months ago) and just started back walking on the treadmill 2 weeks ago. Tonight I am going to walk for 30 min. I will will report back. Have a great day.

lumifan4ever
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Good afternoon Mercee and Dream. Mercee...my goal is to work out on the elliptical 30 minutes 5-6 days a week. I hope to increase my resistance one notch a week. I missed working out this weekend because i was sick...so this morning i woke up feeling better and put in 13 minutes on the elliptical before work. Tonight my plan is to do a cardio class (at home) and weight lifting. I may have to try to get my 30 minutes in every other morning on the elliptical since i am incorporating my cardio class and weight lifting into my program. But this morning was half a mile on easy.

Mercee
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Welcome Lumifan4ever:

Great job. I am hoping to increase my workouts from 30 mins to 45 mins starting this weekend. Sometimes I wish I could workout before work, but hey at least I'm doing it in the evenings. I am still working out at a low level and I also hope to increase that soon. Have a great day.

Naughtymonkey01
01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
hi there! i have been upping my workouts the last few days (week 2) and am about 60-65 mins btw the elliptical and treadmill. its totally a killer.

choirgirlhotel
01-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey! I'll join!

Aside from my other exercise (30-day shred, speed walking 6 days weekly), I have started 20-min fast running on the treadmill Monday to Friday. I started last week. I forgot how much I love running on the treadmill!

I did it Monday, and I did it again today. It was a bit harder today, but I still did it. At about 14:30 minutes I said to myself, "it's only, you only have to do 15 min if you want to today". Then the next time I looked it was 17 minutes and I thought, oh come on, 3 more minutes!! yay! helps that I have new inspiring music too!

~CGH~

Mercee
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Welcome naughtymonkey and Choirgirlhotel !!

Great workouts!!! I am planning to up mine to 45 min tonight. I was going to wait but I feel ready. Have a great day all.

Mercee
01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I didn't get to walk on the treadmill last night, I shoveled my driveway which is 1/2 mile long. (Boy was I exhausted) Have a great day all.

choirgirlhotel
01-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I didn't get to treadmill yesterday either :-( Didn't do any exercise and felt like crap for it.
Today though!! Already speed walked 45 min this morning and will do treadmill tonight, maybe even 25 min or something...

~CGH~

teawithsunshine
01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi!

I walk on my treadmill 5-6 days a week. I hold onto the railings since I have a balance problem but I'm hoping to improve my balance by doing short one minute sessions during my routine and not hold onto the railings.

Great idea to keep motivating us Treadmill Chicks! ;)

choirgirlhotel
01-30-2009, 12:29 AM
yay!! so proud of myself. Thought I wouldn't have time to do it tonight, and was already feeling guilty and bad, and then I just went and DID IT. I can just stay later at work (did it on my break, although I already took an hour break ha ha ha).

Yay! so proud of myself!

~CGH~

archychick
01-30-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm in! I have a bum knee and I live in a busy traffic area where the sidewalks aren't maintained. So, the treadmill at the gym is my friend - albeit a long-lost friend as of late.

I'm in!

My routine is 4-5 days/wk 60 min. Various speeds and inclines so my body doesn't get complacent.

teawithsunshine
01-31-2009, 01:29 AM
Man.... It was a struggle to do the treadmill tonight after work. I did a half-hearted effort on a dvd for leg work before getting on the treadmill.

From there, for the next 40 minutes after warming up, it was gritting my teeth and occasionally swearing at the treadmill to "hurry up!" so I could finish my workout. But I did a good workout :)

One more to go (on Saturday) and then no more for the rest of the week! (**Okay, okay I get back on the treadmill on Mondays ;) but eh, the psychology of a break on Sundays from exercise, does wonders for the spirit at times! :))

choirgirlhotel
01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I did it last night!! So proud of myself, I NEVER usually work out on Fridays. But I did it and I felt great. I was tired from the week though, so did a littler slower run than usual. But still, yay!

~CGH~

teawithsunshine
01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
great job choirgirlhotel! I understand exactly how you feel in not wanting to workout one or two nights! Keep it up! :)

archychick
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
I've a problem with my left heel, so I need to stay off of it for a few days and work out on my exercise ball instead. As soon as I'm running the 'mill I'll start to post!

dream710
02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey girls! I've been a trying to get into a routine with the new baby and running the dd to and from school and to all her activities! I've been incorporating pilates along with my treadmill workouts. Yesterday I did start to run only for a few minutes but its a start! Got on the treadmill and got in 20 minutes today, this afternoon I'll get my pilates in. Everyone keep up the good work!

CGH-great job on working out even though you were tired. Someone once told me just get on for five minutes and if you want to quit after that at least you've done something. I've tried it, it works for me usually I feel better after the five and continue to push thru.

Tea-great job pushing thru!

Archychick-sounds like you've got a great workout plan. I try and mix it up so I don't get bored.

Mercee-how did the increase go?

teawithsunshine
02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I did it!

Sunday was my day off, so today I got back on the treadmill horse.

Sometimes, it felt easy to do... and other times during my walking/hiking exercise session, it felt like "man, whyyyy did I agree to do exercising today?!" lol. :)

But I did it! I didn't increase my speed or incline level for this week but just increased my time so I'm now walking 45 minutes (not including warming up or cooling down). I sweated like I had a 105 degree fever :)

After my session on the treadmill, I FELT LIKE A MILLION BUCKS!

That's what you get for listening to Madonna's single "Ray of Light" during your cool down ;)

choirgirlhotel
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Monday, I feel awesome! Did my 30-day shred this morning and just finished the treadmill now.

Felt the runner's high at 6 minutes.

Today's visualization: All my problems and ex-boyfriends and current boyfriend behind me while I run away from them. I imagine them to look bewildered and keep trying to bother me with questions, and all I say is "can't talk...running". and keep running and running until they are just specks in the distance.

that's a good one, I think I'll keep it!! lol.

~CGH~

Mercee
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Morning ladies!

I had a great workout last night and it was my first increase to 45 minutes. I plan to workout at least 5 days a week. I use the weightloss program on my treadmill for 30 minutes and then I do maual for 15 minutes to mix it up some.

Great job ladies with your workouts. Let keep this up. Talk to you later.

Welcome to all the new people posting here. Have a great day all.

teawithsunshine
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi--

Did a great 45 minute workout (not including warming up/cooling down) just over an hour ago today and sweated like it was 110 degrees outside :D

~ tea

choirgirlhotel
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Tea and Mercee: Awesome!! I can only dream to do 45 minutes!!

I soooo didn't want to do it tonight. My teeth hurt, I was in a bad mood, etc., but forced myself and of coruse so glad I did it.

felt the runner's high at 11 minutes

today's visualization: Me being a belly dancer for some reason! ha!

~CGH~

dream710
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Got in 25 minutes on the treadmill yesterday along with 20 minutes of pilates.

Mercee
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi dream and Choirgirlhotel - Great job on your workouts and keep up he good work.

I didn't workout last night I had an appt. and I didn't get home until 8:30 p.m. and I still had to eat dinner. Tonight I will be at it again. Have a great day ladies and wishing you well on working out.

teawithsunshine
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi ChoirGirlHotel--

Actually, I've steadily been progressing my time on the treadmill. I first started out with thirty minutes, then a couple weeks later, thirty five minutes, then forty, and now only this week am I actually doing 45 minutes (not counting warming up or cooling down) lol.

I'd have to be nuts to try doing forty five minutes when starting out on the treadmill! It just takes time to build up to that time on the treadmill, that's all!

**** I put in my sweaty required forty-five minutes on the treadmill earlier today :) and plan to do my leg pilates later in the afternoon after some errands. Just easier on my schedule to split up my routine today ;) ****

****** UPDATE: I did my pilates this afternoon, like I said ;) ******

Mercee
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Good morning Teawithsunshine:

Glad to see you are still at it great job. Well I got my 45 minute workout in last night even though I was extremely tired. I felt much better after I worked out. Just to think you do pilates also. Have a great day all. Keep up the good work.

dream710
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Didn't do the treadmill yesterday, but did manage to do 30 minutes power sculpt and 45 minutes of bowling. Today planning on getting at least 25 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes of pilates.

Mercee-great job on exercising even though you were tired!

Tea-The pilates I've been doing are leg pilates too! Are you using a dvd?

CGH-I'd love to be able to belly dance!

choirgirlhotel
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, didn't do anything last night, although I did my speed walking yesterday morning for 45 min so i guess that counts for something.

Had such a bad blister and didn't have proper running shoes. But, tonight's the night! I may even try to up things to 25 min if I feel the energy!

~CGH~

dream710
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Well plans changed. I got 25 minutes on the treadmill 35 minutes BL yoga and 80 min walk to pick up dd from school.....Boy I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!

choirgirlhotel
02-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Man, that was HARD tonight!! I was in a very, very dark mood. Listened to Depeche Mode Remixes which fit my mood but felt distracted the whole time.

So at the end I got a good happy song and ended up sprinting the last 5 minutes and doing 25 minutes today!!

Felt runner's high: 21 minutes

Today's visualization: Too dark to share!

~CGH~

mygritsconfessions
02-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I didn't get anything in today, except I did do 20 minutes in Pilates. Will get back to the tread tomorrow.

You all are doing great though - congrates!!

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com

teawithsunshine
02-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Hi there!

I did my usual 45 minute sweat on the treadmill, lol. 2 more sessions (fri & sat) and then no more for the rest of the week!!! (Okay, okay I gotta go back on the treadmill monday, ugh). ;)

--dream710, yes I do pilates on a dvd: mari winsor's pilates for the butt & thighs. I also have a couple other of her dvds. I'm trying to find time to include her stomach pilates in addition to some weight lifting I am eager to begin next week :)

--ChoirGirlHotel... do you run or walk on the treadmill for exercise?

--Mercee, I don't really like exercising at night either, but sometimes like you, I don't have a choice. Still, you did a great job for sticking with it! :)

GREAT JOB EVERYONE! KEEP IT UP!! :)

~ tea

dream710
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
tea-I have quite a few of Mari's dvds my favorite is probably the buns and thighs one. I had great results with it before I got pregnant. The teasers and jack knife on the ab dvd are killer! Let me know how it goes.

choirgirlhotel
02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
--ChoirGirlHotel... do you run or walk on the treadmill for exercise?

Run baby!! which I like because I feel my stomach fat jiggling around which must mean it's getting it's workout too! ha ha ha. I do other stuff too (the 30-day shred and speed walking). Running on the 'mill is just my extra exercise.

Meant to ask all of you some questions:
1) What speed do you run at? (I do 7.8)
2) Do you use an incline? (no incline)
3) How many miles do you get? (I get 2.6 miles/20 min)
4) How many calories does the machine say you burn? (the machine I use won't tell me)

~CGH~

teawithsunshine
02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I split up my exercise routine again today...

* 20 minutes on the treadmill,
* 2 minute jogging-in-place segment break,
* then back on the treadmill again for the remaining 45 minute workout.
* Later in the evening, I finished workout routine with my mari winsor "buns & thighs" pilates dvd :)

--ChoirGirlHotel: I haven't started running yet (would like to, but need to wait on buying a pair of running shoes for a bit).

I currently walk at 4.2 mph and at an incline of 7.5
The computer on my treadmill consul says I burn about 680 some calories by the time I finish (generally).
Doesn't say how many miles I do, but I do about a little over 14 laps altogether.

Now I have a question for you, ChoirGirlHotel! lol ;) How fast did you start (mph-wise) on the treadmill when you first started running?

choirgirlhotel
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Now I have a question for you, ChoirGirlHotel! lol ;) How fast did you start (mph-wise) on the treadmill when you first started running?

Hi Everyone!

Had a FABULOUS run last night. Did 25 minutes! I think I can safely say I'm pretty much up to 25 minutes now.

Felt runner's high: 13 minutes
Today's visualization: Karaoke (lol I don't know where I come up with these things, but it got me through 25 minutes!!)

Tea: Well, back when I was doing it last year I would walk for 1 minute, sprint for 1 minute. Then I would try to walk for 1 minute, sprint for 2 minutes. However, I was doing it at 10 pm and after 20 minutes of the elliptical and it REALLY wore me out.

So now I do it early on in the evening which seems to make a difference and I just started running at 7.5-7.8 the whole time, no walking. I started.....two weeks ago.

I know a 7.5 is not the same on every treadmill though. On the other one I used to use, 7.5 was equivalent to about a 6.0.

~CGH~

teawithsunshine
02-08-2009, 12:01 AM
ChoirGirlHotel-- Excellent! Keep it up!!! :)

wow!

walking: 45 minutes at incline 7.5 & 4.2 mph (not counting warming up or cooling down of course ;)).

I actually did an interesting technique today... I SOOOOOO did NOT want to walk today... I was perfectly content to just stay and snuggle in bed ALLLL afternoon. But I finally rose from a comfty bed and go onto the treadmill.

But what I did differently this afternoon, was I decided on 2 things... first, I'd keep walking until the sun went down and not check the time every couple of minutes.

I also felt a bit tense in the beginning of my 45 minute walk, so I envisioned one of my favorite singers - Enya - in one of her music videos and totally relaxed myself into a meditative state and didn't even bother checking the time for a good while. When I finally did, I only had another 11 minutes to go before I was done! :)

I even felt up to doing another 15 or 20 minutes but decided not as I had to take some Aleve the other day to deal with some muscle soreness as a result of my exercise routine.

Now I'm officially DONE exercising for the rest of the weekend!!! :) (*I'll be back on the treadmill on monday ;))

Mercee
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Good morninh ladies:

I am thrilled to report I am down 2lbs. today. I weigh in every 2 weeks. This works for me to keep me motivated. This week I plane to try to workouk 5 days instead of 4.

Congratulations to all of you on all of your great workouts.

Teawithsunshine -- I noticed you have lost alot of weight. What kind of diet are you following?
Choirgirl- Great Job working out. Talk to ou ladies later. Have a great day.

teawithsunshine
02-10-2009, 04:58 AM
I felt frustrated monday... so I did:

An HOUR's worth of walking at 7.5 incline level & at 4.2 mph (not counting warming up or cooling down) instead of my usual 45 minutes. (* I also did my winsor pilates dvd for the legs beforehand.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mercee--

Congrats on losing 2 lbs!!!

To answer your question: throughout the process of losing weight, I've always counted calories.

After I had gallbladder surgery (due to gallstones) at a near 307 lbs, I started a vegetarian diet and then shifted to vegan to help accommodate my body's reaction to eating foods after the removal of my gallbladder.

Nowadays, I follow "The Rosedale Diet" by Dr. Ron Rosedale.

It's basically a normal diet but with attention to smaller amounts of starchy carbs in a person's diet on a daily basis (*starchy foods and sugar are my choice of drug if you will ;) so I just removed 'em from my diet for the time being... sure helps!).

Contrary to what people think, it's not a version of Atkins (a plan I've never been wild about, fyi). I just eat a lotta veggies & lean poultry & fish, olives, nuts, etc. It's more Mediterranean than anything.

If I may ask, what eating plan are you on?

Hope this helps! :)

~ tea

Mercee
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi teawithsunshine:

I just had my gall bladder removed in November.(my gallbladder just stopped working) I eat a diet now of veggies, fruit, and poultry, I also eat brown rice and whole grain pastas. I am diabetic so I watch my carbs. The way I eat is close to sugar busters (no white rice, flour or sugar).
It sure is weird how certain foods react with no galbladder. I am learning daily. Have a great day.

choirgirlhotel
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey girls,

Had a great workout last night! Did 25 minutes again. I didn't do my Jillian Michaels this morning because of a dentist appointment, but will definitely being running tonight!

The sad thing is, I weighed myself today and lost absolutely nothing. Very saddening. I must be more strict in counting my calories this week. At this rate I'll be losing 2 lb per month instead of per week.

Mercee - congrats! You must be thrilled!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Tea - what what an AMAZING loss you have had. I'm going to check out the Rosedale thing later.

~CGH~

PS - ran tonight for 25 minutes. It was okay..i was distracted and my teeth hurt.

teawithsunshine
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Hmm...

Only able to do 41 minutes (not counting warming up/cooling down) on the treadmill :( I still did a very good sweaty session at an incline of 7.5 and 4.2 mph. *I had to break it a few minutes short in order to tape The Biggest Loser on time.*

Then again, I'm thinking of doing a longer session on Thursday to shake up my exercise routine... :) lol!
----------------------------------------------------------------
choirgirlhotel--

Thank you for your compliment! :)

Yes, I have lost quite a bit of weight, but I only have been following the Rosedale Diet for the last 40 lbs I've lost to date. Before that, I've had a vegan diet and before that, a vegetarian diet.

FYI: throughout all three different eating plans, I always counted calories and exercised.

I try to caution people that works for me (eating plan) may not work for you :) But if you check out the book and are still interested in trying it out, you can PM me for the link to a forum that is directly about the Rosedale Diet plan that can answer any more specific questions you may have :)

dream710
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Monday 20 min tm 20 min pilates
Tuesday 40 min taebo 25 min tm 20 pilates

teawithsunshine
02-12-2009, 12:57 AM
This sucks... apparently the incline adjuster on my treadmill isn't working :(

Speed works fine, just not the incline part.

So I still did a 45 minute workout this afternoon, just not at the intensity I'd like with the incline-- along with mari winsor's "buns & thighs" dvd.

Mercee
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Teawithsunsine - Sorry your treadmill isn't working properly. I am glad to see you still worked out. I hope you are able to get it fixed. The biggest loser is one of my favorite shows.

Dream- Great job keep up the good work.

I worked out last night and I feel great today. Have a great day all.

choirgirlhotel
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I ran last night, it was okay. I'm really stressed out in my life so am totally distracted while running. I don't like it....

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-13-2009, 03:57 AM
I upped the mph to 4.3 mph (from 4.2 mph) and walked for a bit over an hour on thursday-- instead of the usual 45 minutes.

I also did my Mari Winsor pilates for the abs dvd. Man, I still feel that burn in my stomach muscles! ;) (*Just started doing the abs dvd this week.)

Mercee
02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Great work ladies. I am still at it as well.
Choirgirl - I hope some of the stress in your life is removed soon. I wish you the best in whatever you are dealing with.

teawithsunshine- great work out I am barely able to handle 3.7mph. great job.

choirgirlhotel
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I didn't run last night. Cramps, stress, pain, etc. I will try tonight......

~Choirgirl~

choirgirlhotel
02-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Ran today, even though it's TOM, it's heavy and horrible and I feel weak and dizzy from it.

It was a good run, and before I knew it, I was on minute 20, and at minute 25 I could have just kept on going. Yay!

Have a good weekend guys!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I started TOM myself on Friday, lol.

But I still walked!

Friday: 45 min at 4.3 mph & winsor pilates for the buns & thighs dvd
Sat: 60 min at 4.3 mph & winsor pilates for the abs
Sunday: day off after six days this week of exercise! :)

Mercee
02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Morning ladies:

I walked on Saturday. I took Sunday off and today I am off work so I will walk this afternoon instead of this evening.

teawithsunshine
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
ChoirGirlHotel-- GREAT JOB even with TOM!! :)

Mercee-- I also like it when I can exercise earlier than evening time :)

Monday: 45 minutes walking at 4.3 mph & also did the dvd pilates for the legs

Mercee
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Morning all:

I had a great workout yesterday. I felt so good getting it done early. I wish I could get up earlier but I need some rest I already get up at 5:45a.m. I not willing to get up earlier. I will stick with my evening workouts, tonight will be easy I workout while I watch biggest loser.

Teawithsunshine- Great job. Keep up the good work. I appreciate you posting here it helps to keep me motivated. Have a great day.

dream710
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
yesterday: 30 minutes treadmill

today: 30 minutes power sculpt and 35 minutes pilates

teawithsunshine
02-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Surprised myself by exercising as much as I did, since I was feeling tired today due to TOM...

* Did my abs pilates dvd this afternoon
* Then taped "The Biggest Loser" to watch after walking as a motivational treat to myself ;) I ended up doing 60 minutes - NOT the usual 45 min.s - on the treadmill this evening at 4.3 mph :)

(*I was really engrossed in reading a biography on Madonna while I was walking on the treadmill so I forgot the time until I found I only had a bit to go before hitting 60 minutes! LOL!)

Mercee-- I'm happy to see my posts motivate you! :) Everyone else here motivates ME to keep chuggin' away at the treadmill! :)

FYI- found a great song by U2 the other night that really inspired me when I needed motivation to get on the treadmill & warm up today: the song "Elevation." Check it out! :)

choirgirlhotel
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone!

I ran Monday and Tuesday night. Both times got up to 27 minutes. The machine "says" I am doing 3.2 miles, but I heard from someone else that running at a good pace you can usually do 1 mile in 11 minutes. So that would mean I was really doing 2.5 miles I guess. Don't know. Maybe I'm running fast! lol.

Anyway, I'm still loving it! And I love the way my face isn't dangerously red after my run now. It's still pretty red, but not that alarming red :-)

Tea: 60 minutes!!! That's wonderful!!

Dream: Glad to see you on here, you are doing great!

Mercee: I appreciate when you post here too, I love that all of us post here every day! It's like our own secret club, hee!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-19-2009, 01:11 AM
ChoirGirlHotel-- You're amazing with your running! Keep it up! :) I agree, it's kinda nice a little small intimate club (though I enjoy reading everyone's posts who wants to participate!! :)).

I did my pilates for the bum/thighs. After some errands in the afternoon, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I upped the speed from 4.3 mph to 4.4 mph today.

Glad it's over for today!! :)

~ tea

dream710
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Did 30 minutes treadmill and 45 minutes bowling yesterday. Nothing today....had one too many drinks last night!! Back on it tomorrow...PROMISE!!

Choirgirl-I love running-never thought I'd be saying that growing up :) The feeling you get when you've finished a run is amazing, its such a high!

Tea and Mercee-keep up the good work!

choirgirlhotel
02-20-2009, 12:20 AM
ahhh! did nothing tonight :-( will do tomorrow.

teawithsunshine
02-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Dream710 & ChoirGirlHotel-- we all have an "off day" ... don't worry about it! :)

My thursday workout:

* Did my abs pilates dvd this afternoon
* Felt a little blue so I did 60 minutes on the treadmill this evening at 4.4 mph and felt a bit better :)

Fat Pants
02-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey everyone! Was wondering if I could join in on this thread. :) I just started C25k on the treadmill and am loving it. I live in Colorado and I refuse to walk/run outside when it's colder than 70 degrees.. I was not made for winter weather!! :D

I just finished my first week of C25k and feel awesome (except for minor shin splints..uugghhhh), hoping to add in some supplemental work on my "off" days like pilates or at-home strength training.

I was reading through the thread and something caught my eye - teawithsunshine, you said you had your gallbladder removed? I did, also - about five years ago - and gained a ton of weight afterwards. I just don't think my body metabolizes and/or digests food the way it did when I had my gallbladder. I just ordered the Rosedale Diet book after reading some reviews on it.... what are your thoughts on it?

Anyway, happy Friday everyone!!

sws19
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
hi everyone! i just discovered this thread. i hate running, but the treadmill is my main source of exercise, so i could definitely use the motivation and accountability stuff.
as for my treadmill routine, i set the timer at 55 mins and either do:
1. alternating jog and runs. 3 min jog at around 6.1 or 6.2mph and then run for approx 30 seconds at 8.4 or 8.5mph for about 2 miles then jog at around 6.1 for an additional 2-2.5 miles. then walk the remaining 10 or 15 minutes left on the timer.
2. steady state jog for 3-4 miles starting at around 6.5 or 6.7 mph and usually slow down to around 6.0-6.2. then i walk the rest, with an occasional two minute jog here and there. sometimes if my jog was particularly shabby, i'll throw in some incline in my walk, but my doctor told me to generally avoid incline because it exacerbates my shin splints.

however, i think i am gonna change up this routine. i was originally trying to push through to 5 miles but it just doesn't seem to be happening for me. and also i have such a difficult time with it that i always want to stop after 5 mins. :woops:i consulted a friend who is a personal trainer who told me that my heart rate is so high (160-180bpm for the majority of my workout) that i am not increasing my overall fitness level and am simply burning energy. so he suggested that i go at whatever speed i can maintain a hr of about 145bpm for 4-5 miles, however long that takes. i'm worried that will take close to an hour and a half and i'll get bored, but i'm gonna give it a try this afternoon and see how it goes. wish me luck!:running:

Mercee
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Good morning ladies:

Welcome: Fatpants and SWS 19.

I have had the flu for a few days and I am feeling much better. I will get back to working out tonight. I think I recovred so fast because of working out. I see all is well here.

Tea and choirrgirl: Great job on your workouts. How have you ladies been doing? This is a great place to post and be accountable.

Dream_ Lets get back at it. I start again tonight.

Well have a great day all!

Mercee
02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Fatpants _ I wish we had 70 degree weather here it was 14 degrees when I left for work this morning. LOL

choirgirlhotel
02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Welcome Fatpants and SWS 19!!!!

SWS19: I know what you mean, the first 5 min are the hardest for me. I think it's just because your body starts preparing for what it knows is going to happen - then the endorphins kick in and it's easier.

I don't run on any incline either as it hurts my shin splints.

I found that the combo of fast walking/sprinting actually made me hate the treadmill. A steady run feels so much better and for some reason I am less tired and hating it. Maybe you can just do a steady jog the whole time?

~Choirgirl~

Fat Pants
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Fatpants _ I wish we had 70 degree weather here it was 14 degrees when I left for work this morning. LOL

I hear ya.. it was 12 out when I got up and got going... YUCK! But we're supposed to hit the 60s this weekend, so I'm happy!

teawithsunshine
02-21-2009, 03:54 AM
Hi Fatpants and SWS 19! Great to see you on this thread!

Fat Pants: I first lost a lot of weight after my gallbladder surgery by counting calories, etc. I then gained half of my then-101lb weight loss due to depression & recuperating from some minor surgery. I first started with a vegetarian and then a vegan diet for about 6-8 months after my gallbladder surgery before I could comfortably digest poultry and dairy products (though they're now low to non-fat :)).

I then started losing weight again following the Rosedale Diet this past fall. There's a good forum on another site that is directly about the Rosedale Diet and lifestyle that I'd be happy to give you the link to if you PM me :)

I actually follow that eating plan not because of my gallbladder removal, but because I'm addicted to starchy & and sugar products. This eating plan helps keep my addictions in check unlike any other eating plan I've ever been on in my years and years of yo-yo dieting :)

Mercee- glad to see you're feeling better!!

To add to ChoirGirl's post about jogging... I haven't started yet (plan to at some point soon when I get my running shoes next month), but from what I read, a person starting to jog, should do so slowly and then build her endurance from there.

Friday's exercise post:

*I did my pilates from the “buns & thighs" dvd.
*Then did 45 minutes (x-nay on warming up or cooling down) at 4.4 mph.

choirgirlhotel
02-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Thursday and Friday - I didn't run!! ahh!!! It's Saturday morning and I haven't done anything either!

That's okay, I might go for a run outside later tonight. I guess I just needed a little breaky.

Hey Tea: Can you send me the Rosedale link too? Thanks!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Did my pilates for the abs.

Then did 45 minutes at 4.4 mph on the treadmill.

Off for Sunday, hooray! ;)

Mercee
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Morning ladies:

How are you all? I had a really busy weekend our oldest son turned 19 so my hubby and I took the family to a play Satuday afternoon. We went downtown Chicago last night for dinner we had a great time. I didn't workout this wekend but I will get back tonight. I am glad to report I am down 1.5 lbs. I am glad!! (as I stated before I weigh-in every 2 weeks to stay motivated and usually I always have lost something). I just plan to keep going along until I am at my goal.

Have a great day ladies.

u, and F we went to

Fat Pants
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Howdy everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine went too fast as usual.

teaw/sunshine - thanks for the info on the rosedale diet. I'll probably PM you for that forum link!

Took Saturday off from exercise. since the weather was so nice yesterday, DH and I went for a 30 minute walk, then I did 30 Day Shred yesterday evening. My legs are a bit sore today!

Going to start Week 2, Day 1 of C25k today.. 90 seconds of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Looking forward to it!

sws19
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
i feel like i may have finally figured out the secret to life. well, maybe not life, but to running.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165186

dream710
02-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Haven't been on the computer much lately, so here's what I did this weekend. Saturday did Shred dvd, Sunday 20 minutes pilates 35 minutes treadmill, and today I did the Shred and 20 minutes buns and thighs.

Welcome fat pants and sws19!

Mercee-great job on the weight loss!

choirgirlhotel
02-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone,
Did Jillian Michaels this morning but have had a bad migraine all day and just feel totally wiped out - won't run tonight. Oh well, at least I did something this morning!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Fat Pants-- feel free to PM me whenever you're curious! :)

I was unexpectedly busy with errands this monday afternoon :( so I only was able to do about 60 minutes on the treadmill. I felt kinda guilty so I upped the speed from 4.4 mph to 4.5 mph :)

I'll get back to doing pilates with my treadmill routine tmr! :)

sws19
02-24-2009, 07:36 AM
got home too late and shin splints out of control so no exercise yesterday. and have dinner plans and then drinks so none tonight either.
sigh.

teawithsunshine: only 60 mins? how long do you usually do?

Mercee
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Morning all!!

I didn't get to workout last night, but I will get back to it tonight. Have a great day all.

dream710
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
80 minutes treadmill.

Choir- are you doing the Shred dvd?

choirgirlhotel
02-25-2009, 12:29 AM
40 min speed walk this morning.

28 min running on treadmill tonight. yay!

Dream: Yeah, Jillian Michaels 30-day shred Level 2 :-)

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-25-2009, 03:35 AM
I did my pilates for the abs today.
Later, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5 mph. :)

*I generally do 45 minutes but I try to shake my routine and do more on some days... I also plan on increasing speed and aerobic length of time on the treadmill soon from 45 minutes to 50 minutes. Probably in a week or two. :)

choirgirlhotel
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
nothing this morning.

28 min running on treadmill tonight. My shin hurts so much though!! :-(

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I did my pilates for the buns & thighs dvd today and then I did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5 mph :)

Fat Pants
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Howdy everyone!

Wow, look at how much we all exercise..I think this is great!

Tuesday I just did a light workout on the crosstrainer for 40 minutes.

Wednesday was kind of a weird day. I had to do a fasting blood test in the morning, and felt awful the rest of the day, even after I was allowed to eat again. Bleh. Hubby and I went for a 30 minute walk in the evening though, so it wasn't a total loss. I have GOT to run today!

Mercee
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Morning All!!

Great job working out!! Tonight I plan to workout as soon as I get home. Have a great day all.

teawithsunshine
02-27-2009, 01:48 AM
I was surprised as just how HARD I felt my abs when I was workin’ out on my abs pilates dvd earlier today just by advancing several exercises… :)

Also did a GREAT walk on the treadmill for a bit over an hour at 4.5 mph!!

Lady, take a bow!

Fat Pants
02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Wow, awesome work on the treadmill, tea! You are walking faster than I'm running..lol!

I did Week 2/Day 2 of C25k yesterday (30 minutes). It was definitely easier than Day 1, which is encouraging. I'm already nervous about running for 3 minutes straight next week, so hopefully I'll really see an improvement with Day 3 tomorrow!

sws19
02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
i'm trying to motivate to do another 60 min jog on the hamster wheel when i get home tonight. my goal is to get to the point where i can cover 6 miles in that time rather than the 5.5 i'm presently doing. well that and i wish this dang inner tube around my waist would begin to deflate already. sigh.

choirgirlhotel
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, shins hurt a lot so no running tonight. :-(

Have a great weekend everyone!!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
02-28-2009, 04:35 AM
I did my pilates for the buns & thighs dvd Friday.

Later Friday evening, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5 mph.

Felt kinda sluggish on the treadmill, but I kept the pace steady, etc :)

~ tea

teawithsunshine
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I did my pilates for abs dvd on Saturday.

I then did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5 mph. :)

I R.E.A.L.L.Y. didn't want to walk today, but I knew if I did it today, I wouldn't have to do it on Sunday (my day off from exercise :)), lol.

Fat Pants
03-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Finished up week 2/day 3 of C25k on Saturday. My shins were KILLING me! I took yesterday off, so it's back on the horse today...starting week 3!

sws19
03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
i took the whole weekend off (just like every weekend. heh.) and was dismayed to discover that my shins are still a wreck this morning. gonna try and hammer out another 6 this evening though.

Mercee
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Morning Ladies!!

I took the weekend off. I was out of town. I will be back at it today. Have a great day all and keep up the good.work.

Fat Pants
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
i took the whole weekend off (just like every weekend. heh.) and was dismayed to discover that my shins are still a wreck this morning. gonna try and hammer out another 6 this evening though.

Blah. My shins are too. Short of numbing my legs with novacaine, I'm not sure what to do.

Kimberley17
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I too do a teadmill workout 4-5 days a week. I'd be interested to know what speed and incline you guys do?

sws19
03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
i only go 3 times a week.
just did 6 mile jog and .5 mile walk! woot woot! this is my best ever! my speed varies because i'm supposed to be trying to keep my heart rate around 145-155 zone. i ignore the heart rate and just run it out for the last half mile so i ended up averaging out at exactly 10 mins/mile. 0 incline. sad i know. but the doc told me it would exacerbate the shin splint situation. i think when i get more used to going this distance and can pick up speed a little i might try and switch to 1-2 incline since apparently that's more true to life or something. i think that's a couple months off for me at least though.

choirgirlhotel
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Blah. My shins are too. Short of numbing my legs with novacaine, I'm not sure what to do.

Oh boy - so we have 3 of us here with shin problems!!
My shin splints are acting up so much again. Very hurty. I'm going to have to cut back to running 3x weekly with a day break in between. I'm sooooo sad, soooo disappointed.

I read a good article on shin splints though - check it out:
http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm

*sigh* :(

PS - did 30 min tonight. had to break every 5 min and stretch shins/calves for about 45 seconds. that seemed to really help.

teawithsunshine
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I did 1 hour minutes at 4.5-4.6 mph.

I then later did my pilates for the buns & thighs dvd :)

To you gals on this treadmill link... take care of yourselves & shin splits!! :) Try different kinds of aerobics like cycling or walking as a good way to get your cardio in until the shin splits heals :)

sws19
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
teawithsunshine: you know what, i think i'm going to have to suck it up and do just that. this morning i am having serious mobility problems. both shins are killing. sigh.

Mercee
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Morning ladies:

How's everyone. I am still at it. I hope all is well with everyone have a great day all.

choirgirlhotel
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
To you gals on this treadmill link... take care of yourselves & shin splits!! :) Try different kinds of aerobics like cycling or walking as a good way to get your cardio in until the shin splits heals :)

Unfortunately walking does the same thing for my shin splints. and I absolutely despite the bicycle. I am going to have to think of something else for my alternate day exercises until these puppies heal! The great thing about the treadmill was that it is at work, and while I'm at work I do it on my break.

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I did my pilates for abs dvd today (tuesday).

I then did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.6 mph.

I'm actually proud of myself for keeping my dates on the treadmill... somedays it's not easy and you just wanna throw in the towel! :) THANKS for the motivation, guys!!!

Keep up the GREAT work everybody (injuries and all ;))!! :)

sws19
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
just made an appt for a physical therapist at 3pm. whoohoo!

Mercee
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Morning All!

Wow, Tea you are really progressing. Great job. I hope all you ladies with shin splints get well soon. I am feeling great and as soon as spring comes I will start to walk outside as well. Have a great day all.
sws19 I hope your appt. goes well. Talk to you later.

choirgirlhotel
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Ok, so shin splint ladies - what should I do?

Should I completely rest from all running/walking activity for a week or so (or more?) or can I run/walk every second day you think?

also, after they heal, will I ever be able to run five days in a row every again without them flaring up?

Tea: Great job!!

~Choirgirl~

Fat Pants
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
CGH, I think you just have to play it by hear (or by shin, in this case) as to whether or not how much you should rest. I was just about to hop on and post that I did Week 3/Day 2 of C25k and my shins barely bothered me. But on Monday they were pretty sore!

I usually rest 1-2 days in between. I have heard stretching and getting the right shoes help, but I do that (most of the time) and it seems like it's hit or miss with the intensity and duration of the pain. Wish I had the answer!!!

sws19
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
bad news, cgh. i went to the physical therapist today. the upshot is that we need to rest until there is absolutely no pain at all when we run. not just hardly any pain but NONE says the pt. i only run 3 times a week but he said that i was basically just resting it and constantly reinflaming it without ever giving it a chance to really heal. and this would just keep happening unless i allow the time. and also he said i probably caused it by going too far too quickly and that my sneakers were horrible. and i am not stretching enough. so apparently the answer is rest, go slower, stretch a LOT more, and reevaluate your sneaker situation.

teawithsunshine
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
It was another day due to dreary, raining weather-- that I just did NOT want to get on the treadmill... but of course I eventually did ;)

* I did 1 hour & 15 minutes at 4.6 mph. (FYI: I'm trying to alternate the amount of time I spend on the treadmill so I can keep losing weight and not get a plateau or stall.)
* I then later did my pilates dvd for the buns & thighs.

The trick is to have a good book at your side on the treadmill to pass the time... for me today, it was an adorable cat mysteries that I haven't really read in a long time, lol. :)

I find having really good books reserved only for when I'm on the treadmill, really helps as a motivator ... because then I keep wondering what happens next???? :)

Mercee & cgh-- thanks for the encouragement! :)

sws19 & cgh... take it easy! Actually, by alternating different kinds of exercise routines to let your shin splits heal, you'll also keep your body guessing and it'll help you lose those pesky pounds more! :)

sws19-- I heard that one of the problems for shin splits & beginning runners is they start running too fast or they don't have proper running shoes from a shoe store that specializes in athletic running shoes :( That's primarily why I'm holding off on running for a bit until I can afford a proper pair of running shoes. Take care of yourself in the meantime! :)

choirgirlhotel
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
bad news, cgh. i went to the physical therapist today. the upshot is that we need to rest until there is absolutely no pain at all when we run. not just hardly any pain but NONE says the pt. i only run 3 times a week but he said that i was basically just resting it and constantly reinflaming it without ever giving it a chance to really heal. and this would just keep happening unless i allow the time. and also he said i probably caused it by going too far too quickly and that my sneakers were horrible. and i am not stretching enough. so apparently the answer is rest, go slower, stretch a LOT more, and reevaluate your sneaker situation.

*sigh* Uh oh....I don't like that news!!

Last night I actually tried this new stretch that my boyfriend taught me when he had shin splints. I did that, and only felt a twinge of pain at 17 minutes, then it went away and I was able to do 29 minutes. I stretched a lot throughout (every 6 min of running), did the new stretching routine beforehand, and stretched well afterward. I took an ibuprofen right after the run, and iced my shins last night.

Well, what do you know, they feel 70% better already!

I am definitely going to get orthotics as I have collapsed arches, and do the above routine and only run 3x weekly. If I am still having pain and they don't seem to be healing, I will rest completely. I guess I will be forced to do the dreaded hateful bike on alternate days. I wish they had an elliptical in the gym.

The stretching routine my BF showed me goes like this:
Walk on heels across the room for 30 seconds. Walk on tiptoes across the room for 30 seconds. Put your hands on wall and one foot with toe touching wall and lean into the stretch (so you feel it in your shins). Repeat on other side

Repeat whole above routine about 3 or 4 times.

i also found a new stretch which is kneeling and sitting on your heels. That stretches them out quite nicely too.

~Choirgirl~

choirgirlhotel
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
it was an adorable cat mysteries that I haven't really read in a long time, lol.

:lol: What is a "cat mystery"!!!! That is sooo cute!

teawithsunshine
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Felt like Miss Lazybones today... just did not wanna exercise, but lo and behold, I did :dizzy:

1. Did my pilates dvd for the abs.
2. Did my 45 minutes at 4.6 mph on the treadmill :cool:

nuff said! ;)

CGH-- The cat mysteries I'm referring to is a series written by Rita Mae Brown & her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown :) I was reading the most recent one published last fall entitled "Santa Clawed." If you're interested, I recommend you start back at the beginning: "Wish You Were Here" & "Rest in Pieces." Enjoy! :)

Fat Pants
03-06-2009, 08:48 AM
The stretching routine my BF showed me goes like this:
Walk on heels across the room for 30 seconds. Walk on tiptoes across the room for 30 seconds. Put your hands on wall and one foot with toe touching wall and lean into the stretch (so you feel it in your shins). Repeat on other side.

CGH that's the one I do and it seems to really help. Sounds like it helped for you, too! I have another run today so we'll see if things continue to improve... my husband mentioned last night that it seems like my shins are hurting less. It used to hurt from the beginning through the run, then terrible pain aftewards. Also, times when I would walk up the stairs or whatever, my shins would start hurting. It was pretty bad. Now they just seem to be sore at the beginning and end of the run, and it goes away quickly. No more "flare ups" just walking around doing normal things. So hopefully things are looking up!

I have really great running shoes but I'm going to the running store today to get my gate/pronation checked out. I have a feeling that I tend to walk on the outside of my feet rather than balanced. We'll see! I can't really afford to buy new shoes right now, but I'll be interested in seeing what the "pro" running guys say.

I did 30DS yesterday...ugh I feel so out of shape! It was a lazy day for me too, tea!

teawithsunshine
03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Fat Pants-- Great minds think alike! :lol:

Only did the treadmill today...

60 minutes at 4.6 mph

Skipped pilates for the legs today due to errands. Plus, I'm feeling a little tight (not sore) in my leg muscles so I figured a day off of pilates wouldn't be a bad thing :)

teawithsunshine
03-07-2009, 11:00 PM
* I did the pilates dvd for the abs today... dang, I'm feelin' my stomach muscles now, lol :cool:
* Then did my obligatory 45 minutes at 4.6 mph on the treadmill.

No more exercise for the rest of the week! :)

(Well, until monday that is! :D)

Fat Pants
03-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Good Monday morning, everyone! :coffee: Hope the time change isn't affecting you as badly as I feel it's affecting me... where's my extra hour of sleep?? ;)

The weather was so nice yesterday that I got outside for a quick 20-minute run/walk. It was a nice change of pace. I think I am going to repeat Week 3 of C25k this week... not sure I feel ready to move on just yet.

I really need to supplement my non-run days with strength training. I like 30DS but I would like something that's focused solely on weights/strength training. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good DVD?

teawithsunshine
03-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Fat Pants--

If you like Jillian, try her new weights dvd entitled "No More Trouble Zones." I'd also highly recommend Jillian's spa partner (and fellow trainer) jackie warner's "One on One Training with Jackie." Both dvds are superb in getting results! :)

------------------------------
I read 90 pages from a book while walking on the treadmill today (monday) and lost my marbles ;)

* I did 1 hour & 30 minutes at a new speed: 4.7 mph.
* I then later did my pilates dvd for the buns & thighs.

I'll be going back to the easy 50 minutes or so on tuesday! :)

BlackRose
03-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Hey girls! I just started this website and read the subject I know I am a little late but I thought I would put in my two cents. I am currently walking on the treadmill myself. I am starting off slowly. I have been walking a mile everyday for a little over a week now. I plan on upping the miles every week. But I have to admit I can't wait until it's summer it's just more fun to walk with the dogs.

But quick question do you think doing this everyday is too much? I plan on going all the way up to 5-7 miles a day. :woops:

Mercee
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Morning ladies::

Great job tea!! How is everyone? I didn't get to walk on the treadmill this weekend but I got plenty of walking in. I am getting back to the treadmill tonight. i can't wait for the weather to change so I can get outside again. Do any of you ladies walk outside in the spring and summer. I still use the treadmill in the summer when it is to hot outside.

Black Rose- Welcome!! I don't think walking everyday will hurt anything. My goal to get to at least 6 days a week.

Have a great day ladies.

teawithsunshine
03-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Black Rose-- Nice to see you here! It's always nice to have another member join us on this treadmill thread! :)

I did my pilates for abs dvd today (tuesday).

I then did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.7 mph.

Now, on to watching The Biggest Loser! (*tonight, that is ;)).

choirgirlhotel
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey everyone! Well, took a break until yesterday evening, and did the stretch routine and ran 30 minutes with a few stretches in between. I felt the shins flare two times for a few seconds, but I made it through. I know I am technically supposed to totally rest until the pain completely resolves, but I just don't want to.

the main thing that is helping is that i'm not running every day anymore. Which, I have to say, I am soooo sad about. I am still, however, speed walking twice a week, although haven't done the Jillian video in about two weeks :-(

I am going on vacation for 3 weeks in May, so that will give a good 3 weeks rest for my shins and hopefully they will heal up.

How are my other shin splint gals doing?

Tea: You are doing soooo awesome!! You're making me feel guilty for not doing the bike in between running days lol.

Blackrose: Welcome!

~Choirgirl~

sws19
03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
i'm still having pain in the lower leg, though not sure if it's shin splints or other soreness related to the shin splints. i'm going to physical therapy 2x a week. so far so good, i guess. but i have only been to the gym twice this month!! :nono:
i want to sign up for this 10K that a few of my friends are doing, but i'm wondering if i'm just deluding myself. :shrug: it's a month from today and i'm off the treadmill for at least another week or two. :no::no:

teawithsunshine
03-12-2009, 01:30 AM
cgh-- thanks!! :)

sws19-- I was surfin' the internet the other day and came across some online video clips of a bootcamp gym workout that Madonna's personal trainer taught for several weeks last year.

In the clip, I saw something very interesting on the treadmill-- You can still get a workout in by skipping or sashshay-ing (skipping sideways) to a lower speed than the usual mph you do for running or speed walking :) If you'd like, I can PM you guys the link if you remind me!! ;)

I'm due for my TOM in the next couple of days, so I'm taking a lazy pass at the moment! But it might help the shin split problems you gals are having :(

--------------------------
Queen of Procrastination, Part II ;)

It took me several hours before I dragged my big butt to the treadmill this wednesday evening, lol :)

* Did my pilates for the legs/buns dvd
* Did 1 hour 15 minutes at 4.7 mph

Finished for the day! Yahoo!! ;) JK! *I'll be back again tmr for thursday's workout, lol*

Fat Pants
03-12-2009, 08:31 AM
It's time I pick myself back up again and dust myself off. I haven't run since Sunday. :( Working long hours at work, and then a sick husband who tosses and turns all night (poor guy :( ) has kept me from getting any sleep. I am exhausted, to put it mildly!

I got a new workout DVD yesterday - it does 30 minutes of lower body strength exercises, and 30 minutes of upper body strength exercises. I just did the lower body yesterday...wooo... that's a tough one. Didn't make it through the entire workout! But my legs are nice and sore today, and I WILL get to the gym for some cardio, even if it's just for 20 minutes! I miss working out!

Mercee
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Morning ladies!!

I was to lazy(there is no other way to say it) to work out yesterday. I was exhausted. I did go to the DR. and found out that my blood is very low. I am on Iron for a year. I had 2 major surgeries in the last 21/2 years so she was not surprised. Other than that all is well and I am back on the treadmill tonight.

Fat pants- Let's get back to it. Have a great day all.

sws19
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
ooooh man. so i just got back from physical therapy again and man was my therapist horrified when i told him i did 60 mins on the elliptical last night. he said that if i want to use the elliptical, i need to put it on 0 incline and 0 resistance for 10 minutes and then get off. that's it. and only do it every other day (that part is no problem). and if after two sessions (four days) there is still absolutely no pain or discomfort whatsoever at any point during the day then i can increase by 50% to 15 minutes. and so on. but gawsh! i kinda feel like 10 minutes at 0 incline 0 resistance?? is there even a point? i may as well just stay on the couch playing with my resistance bands. sigh.

teawithsunshine
03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
* Did my pilates abs dvd.
* Did 45 minutes at 4.7 mph :)

~ tea

Great job everyone!! Keep it up!

Fat Pants
03-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Good morning!

Yesterday I managed 20 minutes run/walk on the treadmill, and 30 minutes of my upper body strength DVD (I finished the workout! Yay!)

Today I think I am just going to hop on the treadmill and see how far I can run before stopping. Then tonight it will be lower body strength training.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

teawithsunshine
03-14-2009, 12:55 AM
* Did my legs/buns pilates dvd
* Did 60 minutes at 4.7 mph

I decided I'm going to just keep it at 4.7 mph next week, regardless of how easy it may become to me. I've been feeling my leg muscles for the past few days and while I don't feel exactly sore or anything, I'm gonna keep next week's sessions to just 50 minutes for each day and at 4.7 mph. Then if I feel more certain that I'm not overdoing it, I'll vary my exercise time and speed the following week again :)

BlackRose
03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Ty for the welcomes. I love walking outside I can't wait until the weather gets better. Not to mention I think it's a lot more fun when you have a furry companion or two along with you. My dogs are loving me whenever it's nice out. I can't even get my shoes on without them jumping lol. I am taking a day off, it's my birthday just feel like rewarding myself with a day off.

choirgirlhotel
03-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I've really lost my momentum and I'm sad. I feel like I've lost absolutely no weight, I feel sad and discouraged that I cannot run so much anymore, and basically it hurts to do anything. Even standing hurts.

I know I'll eventually get back up, but right now it really sucks to be down :-(

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Mercee-- I also struggled with iron deficient anemia for quite awhile, so I understand completely how exhausted you can feel sometimes :)

sws19-- Is there any kind of aerobic exercise you can do as you recuperate? Find one you enjoy that can help you keep losing/or maintaining your current weight until you can get "back in the saddle" and run again :)

cgh-- Same advice I just gave to sws19 :) It sucks, I know. But keep doing everything else you can do as you recover (i.e. eating right, etc). Maybe you could do some weights for the upper body (or if you already have incorporated a weight-lifting program, focus on that?). Hang in there!!

-----------------------------------
Saturday's exercise session:

* Did my pilates ab dvd
* Did 45 minutes at 4.7 mph

I felt quite energetic after my exercise session today! Lately, I've been feeling a bit tired due to the start of my TOM today and increasing the speed/length of time of my walking sessions over the past several weeks. But hey, I'll enjoy it (Saturday) tonight! :)

I'm free from the treadmill/exercise until Monday! ;) Have a great weekend everybody!

sws19
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
i wish i knew the answer. as of now i don't have one. things are slipping diet-wise too.

Fat Pants
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
hey ladies! Hope everyone's having a great Monday. Sws19, sorry to hear about your exercise woes. :( I felt like things were getting out of control with the no exercise/eating off plan last week, too. I agree with the others, maybe there is some low impact cardio you can do in the meantime? And strength training is always a great way to slim down and build muscle...it keeps the metabolism up. I am doing a great DVD that combines low impact cardio intervals with upper and lower body strength training, if you want a recommendation or something. :hug:

I feel SO GOOD today! Went for a 15 minute walk at lunch, 30 minutes on the treadmill at the gym (where I ran for 5 minutes straight... :woohoo: ) and then another 25-minute walk with DH, enjoying the nice weather. I'm pooped! :yawn:

sws19
03-17-2009, 12:16 AM
thanks for all the support everyone! i really appreciate it. things are sorta on a downhill slide right now. i did do weights and stuff at the gym on friday but have not been back since. i think what's particularly worrisome is that my pt guy said i am not to increase any exercise intervals (the 10 mins at 0 resistance 0 incline thing) until i have 4 consecutive days with absolutely NO pain or discomfort whatsoever. i have been off the hamster wheel for 2 weeks and still have not had a single day like that. i was hoping to do a 10k with my friend on april 11 - my first ever organized running thingy - but now that seems laughably unrealistic. from where i stand now it looks like it'll be a month before i can even get back on the tread and will prob be told to start all over at the beginning again so as not to re-injure myself.
and for some reason the lack of exercise is leading to really bad eating habits, as i mentioned. friday night i ate an entire dominos pizza. at 2am.
soooo if you have suggestions for cardio for me, i'm all ears. i need all the help i can get right now.

teawithsunshine
03-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Monday's session :)

* 50 minutes at 4.7 mph (an increase of 5 minutes!)
* Did my buns/thighs pilates dvd

sws19-- don't lose heart yet! There's a lot of other exercises you can do to keep yourself at least in maintenance until you're able to run again!! :)

Actually, what you could do is jump on a mini-trampoline (less impact on your joints) or do Leslie Sansone's "walk away the pounds" dvds (or other low impact dvds).

Could anyone at your gym give you recommendations? Could your doctor give you any recommendations? He should be able to advise you of something you could do that wouldn't inflame your shin splits! :)

I just noticed that you're from Brooklyn, NYC. Could you just simply walk all over to each and every one of your errands and workplace everyday? (If that's possible? Or walk halfway and take public transport for the other half)? You could walk at slower speeds and thus still get a good workout, even though it may not give you the joy that running does :) It's something!

PS-- get rid of all your trigger foods in your kitchen/pantry for the time being until your injuries heal! The less junk you have around, the less you'll be tempted to binge on 'em! :)

sws19
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
thanks for the suggestions. i have a whopping commute because i live in brooklyn and work in harlem (45 minutes by subway), but yes city walking is a good idea. i try and walk when i'm not in a rush. this will be easier now that the weather is starting to be tolerable again. today is gym day so i'll do another 10 on the elliptical and 10 on the bike and then some ab/core things. my gym is in my building so there isn't a staff, but i will ask the physical therapist if he has any other cardio suggestions. i also tried out those plank twists that jillian michaels does and that seemed to be pretty useful so i guess i'll just keep doing those as well.

and i'm trying to get my eating back on track. so far things are better. i'm never perfectly on plan but i like to at least be close. the truth is that i have only been dieting like monday through thursday. i backslide a few pounds each weekend and then make up for it during the week. i should probably force myself to stop going buckwild on the weekends. heh.
fortunately i am single and do not have a huge sweet tooth so i don't generally have junk in the house. the only snacky things i usually have on hand are frozen grapes, a huuuuge weakness. the real problem is the city. i can order anything. ie: pizza at 2am. ordering delivery during a weak moment is what gets me into trouble.

teawithsunshine
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Tuesday's session :)

* 50 minutes at 4.7 mph
* Did my abs pilates dvd

I'm so excited! I have a balance problem from time to time due to a hearing loss I acquired at birth, so I have to hold onto the railings of a treadmill so I don't lose my balance and fall. Since I've been working on my abs thru pilates for the past month or 2, I find I'm able to now go a MINUTE at 4.7 mph without holding onto the railings!!! :carrot:

So my goal now is to build it up so I'm doing a minute for every 5 minutes I hold onto the railings of my treadmill and then build my endurance from there :cool:

sindy9001
03-18-2009, 02:15 AM
I like to walk in the park around my hourse. 20 minutes per day, and now my weight go down from 300 to 285. That's a good news for me.

choirgirlhotel
03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey guys!

Monday - I ran 30 min on treadmill.
Tuesday - Speed walked 30 min, 25 min on stupid old boring old bike.

Today is running day again, yay!

~choirgirl~

PS. SWS19 - you live in New York? AHHH! so lucky! Wanna trade places? ;-)

Lisa1978
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I love the treadmill! I always go back to it everytime I put on weight to get some control back again. It's the easiest thing to begin for me (hate going to the gym)!

teawithsunshine
03-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi Lisa1978! Glad ur here! :)

cgh: way to go!!! :cool:
wed's session :D

* 50 minutes at 4.7 mph (completed)
* buns/thighs pilates dvd (completed)

Fat Pants
03-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone! just a quick update for me - 30 min run/walk on treadmill and some weights yesterday. Deciding what to do since hubby and I will be leaving right after work to go camping tomorrow... so I will probably run again today.

choirgirlhotel
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

Ran yesterday on treadmill. Man, I am exhausted today and my shins are hurting a lot. Might do the bike tonight, depends on how tired I am. Still want to try to run tomorrow, although I might give it a rest and do JM 30-day shred tomorrow morning instead. We'll see.

Oh, and by the way, in one month I have lost ZERO pounds. nice!

~choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
cgh-- I really do admire you on your commitment to running, etc.

what is your exercise/dietary habits on a weekly/monthly basis? Maybe there's something in there that the rest of us can see and help you out on! :)

Hang in there!
----------------------------------------------
Thursday's session :cool:

I am luvin' the aftereffects of exercise :) I enjoy it when I work up a sweat and know this is my reward for exercising hard or fast (mph-wise) or just dang making it thru my 50-minute session when I feel like an absolute slug on TOM (which would be today, lol)! ;)

* Did my abs pilates dvd
* Did 50 minutes at 4.7 mph

Mercee
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Morning ladies

Sorry I haven't been able to post. My computer at home was acting up but it has been fixed. I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing and to report that I am still at it. I will walk tonight when I get home and this weekend.(at least on Saturday). Next week we are suppose to have temps in the 60's maybe a few days I will be able to walk outside as well. Glad to see you ladies are still at it. Have a great day!!.

choirgirlhotel
03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
cgh-- I really do admire you on your commitment to running, etc.

what is your exercise/dietary habits on a weekly/monthly basis? Maybe there's something in there that the rest of us can see and help you out on! :)

Hang in there!

aww, thanks!

well, I"m actually going to change up my diet. I'm really tired of trying sooooo hard and not getting results. Next week I am trying a 1300 calorie diet (Metagenics.com) given to me by my naturopath. It includes protein shakes and certain amounts of all the elements you need (i.e., fruit/protein/nuts/fat, etc).

I have never tried a very low calorie diet before, always kept my calories to about 1500+, so we'll see if it works. Plus, I think it will just help to completely change what I am eating too.

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-21-2009, 05:01 AM
cgh-- huh, never heard of metagenics honestly. It helps from time to time to change or shake up your eating habits, caloric intake, and exercise routine :) Let us know how it goes! :) All you can do is try! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been trying to lose weight? You've already gotten quite some good results according to your info :) Remember that! :) Have a great weekend!
--------------------------------------------------------
Friday's session:

50 minutes at 4.7 mph (didn't have time to do pilates due to a crazy schedule today, oy... I only had time to do my treadmill portion of my overall daily workout at 9 at night while while watching what not to wear on TLC, lol!)

~ tea

sws19
03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
yeah my weight loss has stagnated as well, but i think it's cause i started drinking again. oops.
have been doing my ten minute bike ten minute elliptical routine followed by weights. but i think it's seriously lowered my threshold for exercise. now the idea of jogging for 60 minutes is terrifying! aaack!

teawithsunshine
03-21-2009, 10:19 PM
First day at 24 hr fitness gym! (*B-Day gift from mum was a membership there :))

* 50 minutes on the elliptical machine (did about 15 minutes or so in higher resistance & incline levels too)
* walked half a mile
* did my pilates for the abs dvd

Now, I feel like I have rubber legs from a plastic chicken! ;) To be honest, I've never done the elliptical machine before, and I didn't build up a sweat until late in the routine, unlike my usual treadmill session. Then again, at home I don't put the AC on and the AC was on at the gym. There were times throughout the elliptical workout where I thought my legs turned into rubber chicken legs! lol. I just hope I still burned calories, even though I didn't sweat as obviously or as much as I did at home on the treadmill for 50 minutes....

choirgirlhotel
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been trying to lose weight? You've already gotten quite some good results according to your info :) Remember that! :) Have a great weekend!
~ tea

Well, to keep my answer short and sweet (as much as I can).
Feb 2005 - Sept 2005 = lost 25 lb

Sept 2005 - Dec 2006 = lost 15 lb (wasn't really trying that hard)

Dec 2006 - June 2008 = Maintained

June 2008 - Dec 2008 = Gained 15 lb back

Jan 15, 2009 = started trying to lose again. Have lost 6 lb in total.

I have some issues such as adrenal fatigue and my metabolism is screwed after being on medication for 10 years and finally getting off of it in November 2007.

~Choirgirl~

Fat Pants
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone! just a quick check in. Today I ran/walked for 30 min on the treadmill, then did 30 minutes of lower body strength DVD. My legs feel like jelly and I'm POOPED!

Funny story...my DH who is pretty in shape and lifts weights all the time decided to do my DVD with me tonight. He was sweating like crazy and got a good workout... he always thinks these DVDs are easy until he does them with me. ;) LOL

Fat Pants
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
aww, thanks!

well, I"m actually going to change up my diet. I'm really tired of trying sooooo hard and not getting results. Next week I am trying a 1300 calorie diet (Metagenics.com) given to me by my naturopath. It includes protein shakes and certain amounts of all the elements you need (i.e., fruit/protein/nuts/fat, etc).

I have never tried a very low calorie diet before, always kept my calories to about 1500+, so we'll see if it works. Plus, I think it will just help to completely change what I am eating too.

~Choirgirl~

cgh, just wanted to comment on this... I have always been a 1500-1700 calorie girl when I was dieting previously, and when I started this time around, I worked out intensely with a trainer for 6 weeks and didn't lose a lb. while eating at 1600-1700 cals a day, figuring it would work like it always does. (I lost inches, but that's another story for another day.) Anyway, I dropped my calories to 1300-1400 and then the weight started coming off, albeit slowly, but at least it started coming off. So, dropping to 1300 might be worth it. You'll have to let us know how it goes!

choirgirlhotel
03-23-2009, 11:25 PM
So tonight I ran for 30 min. Shins protested a bit, but I stretched and ignored their whining.

Today is the first day of my 1300 calorie Metagenics plan. I feel a bit "empty" - must be the less wheat/carbs thing. Of course all I can think about is food. But that's okay - things will even out I'm sure! There are even a dozen donuts sitting here and I'm hungry even after dinner and so tempted, but no. I'll go home to my 15 grapes. lol.

I pray Fat Pants that you are right and it works for me too!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
* 50 minutes on the elliptical machine
* walked a mile
* buns & thighs pilates dvd

Cheer up, cgh! :) My usual caloric intake is 1,200-1,300 calories (but I do an occasional calorie cycle to help losing weight).

Any way you can get rid of some of the food "temptations" in your home? It'll definitely help you avoid temptation! :)

choirgirlhotel
03-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Cheer up, cgh! :) My usual caloric intake is 1,200-1,300 calories (but I do an occasional calorie cycle to help losing weight).

Any way you can get rid of some of the food "temptations" in your home? It'll definitely help you avoid temptation! :)

Really? Wow, that's low. What do you eat? I would love to see a daily meal plan if you care to share...it would give me some perspective.

I actually have NO food temptations in my house. NONE. in fact, my boyfriend just remarked this weekend that my cupboards and fridge were like an "80-year-old woman's" and that I had "nothing fun or exciting to eat". LOL.

Oh, I work evenings, and the donuts are at work. :-)

~Choirgirl~

Mercee
03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Morning ladies,

Just wanted to check in. I am down another pound however I have to confess I haven't been diligent with my working out. I plan to get back at it tonight. I really have a hard time being consistent sometimes. I am going to put a calendar up and mark off the days I manage to work out. Maybe seeing it in writing will help. ( I am really struggling right now).

I am glad to see that you ladies are still at it and tweaking things to get the results that you want. I know we all will reach our goals it just won't be overnight. Have a great day ladies.

choirgirlhotel
03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Ahhh!! i'm down 2 lb since last week. YAY!!!
I started on homeopathic iron/copper supplements for my anemia, I'm sure that's the reason!

*EDIT*

I did 25 min on the dumb old boring bike tonight and some abs/weights. blah.

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Mercee-- I'm so sorry to hear you're having difficulties :( Anything we chickies can do?

cgh: it's pretty dang simple... I don't eat any processed foods and eliminated starchy carbs & sugars from my diet. It's just about veggies, fruit, & lean protein in the form of poultry & game meat (i.e. buffalo burgers, which is a great substitute for cow burgers and tastes nearly the same thing!) & fish.

I also on occasion eat some tofu and shirataki noodles. (Shirataki noodles are another great substitute for real spaghetti and fettuccine noodles!! I really pig out on several of these bags and its only 40 calories per bag lol).

For instance, for breakfast this morning I had a cooked wild caught salmon patty (Trader Joe's... only 80 calories per patty) with several cups of broccoli on the side. You do the math, lol.

That's how I pretty much eat all day or anything I want... for dessert or a splurge, I have almond butter, or add olives and/or any high calorie veggies like avocados to my main dishes, etc.

Plus it helps that I'm a herbal tea junkie :) I just drink it allll day long (in addition to water), about 8-12 fl oz glasses depending on how active I am, etc.

*For more info, check out my eating plan at http:// drrosedale (dot) com. I personally eliminated starchy carbs for the time being because I'm addicted to it, but his plan does allow for lower amounts of carbs in your diet instead of processed foods that have a HIGH amount of starchy carbs in a given serving for example. His book "The Rosedale Diet" is also available on amazon.

Hope that helps answer your question! :)
Tuesday:

* 45 minutes on the elliptical machine
* walked half a mile
* did my pilates for the abs dvd (even though I was swearing out loud at times, lol ;))

Fat Pants
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone, just a quick log of exercise yesterday:

20ish minutes of strength DVD
50 minutes of cardio

The scale loves me this morning! :carrot:

Mercee
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Morning ladies!

Tea: I never thought of having salmon for breakfast Last night we had salmon and veggies for dinner. Thanks for offering to help. I am back at working out now and I feel better. I was really going through a stressful time so I wasn't working out as much. I remember the time I would of eaten my way out this time I stopped working out and stayed on plan with my eating. ( A small victory i guess) LOL

Great job Fatpants Keep up the good work. So glad you and the scales are getting along.LOL

Well ladies keep up the good work and have a great day.

teawithsunshine
03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Mercee-- I just shake it up all over... like instead of having grilled shrimp & veggies on sticks, I sometimes switch and have it for breakfast... or buffalo burgers/turkey burgers. Key is to make your meals interesting and have dinner for breakfast and vice-versa at times. why not? lol ;)

-------------------------------
wednesday's workout session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine
* 10 minutes walking

My butt is officially SORE, lol :cool:

choirgirlhotel
03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks Tea for your meal plan! I love seeing other people's meal plans.

Well, it's day #3 on my 1300 calorie diet. I'm still hungry, but not as bad as day #1 and #2. Hopefully it gets better. I have my 2-lb loss giving me major motivation!

Today
- speed walked 30 min
- ran on treadmill 30 min

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-26-2009, 10:42 PM
cgh-- Congrats on the 2 lb loss!!! :dancer:

Keep up the great work!

---------------------------
thursday's workout session:

* 10 minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

sws19
03-27-2009, 07:40 AM
i have not lost any weight in the last month since being taken off the treadmill.
boo.

tara333
03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
I cant even run that fast sorry

choirgirlhotel
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
i have not lost any weight in the last month since being taken off the treadmill.
boo.

maybe cut out about 250 calories per day until you can start running again?

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
03-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Friday's workout session:

* 10 minutes walking

I also started doing resistance training with my trainer today at the gym too!

teawithsunshine
03-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Saturday's workout session:

* 15 minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

I feel so muscular in my abs and GREAT from my workout today, even though I still feel sore in my calves and legs! ;)

Have a great weekend everybody! Y'all are doing a great job!!

Fat Pants
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone! Good Monday morning!

Saturday I ran/walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, did the cross trainer for 15 minutes.

Yesterday I had every intention of working out, but was hit with a migraine so spent most of the afternoon/evening in bed. Oh well. Today is a new day!

teawithsunshine
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
monday's workout session (an overall weak attempt to exercise, bleah):

* resistance training
* 10 minutes walking

Mercee
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Morning ladies:

Today I will exercise while I watch Biggest Loser. I did not exercise yesterday. I like having a place where I can be honest.

teawithsunshine
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't rank today's elliptical/abs dvd workout session in my Top Ten of All Time exercise sessions ;) but it was better than yesterday! :)

tuesday's workout session:

* 10 minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

I didn't lose a lot of weight in the past three weeks, so people on/off this forum suggested I up my caloric intake to 1,500 from my usual 1,200-1,300 daily caloric intake. So I had 1,500 calories yesterday and I'll have it again by the end of this evening.

I'm feeling a bit nervous about doing that, but I understand sometimes your body needs more fuel in order to lose weight effectively and not think its being "starved."

I'm just one of those people that gains weight even by looking at a magazine photograph of a plate of brownies ;) I'll see what my trainer suggests when I go see her on wednesday :)

what do you guys think?

choirgirlhotel
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
I didn't lose a lot of weight in the past three weeks, so people on/off this forum suggested I up my caloric intake to 1,500 from my usual 1,200-1,300 daily caloric intake. So I had 1,500 calories yesterday and I'll have it again by the end of this evening.

I'm feeling a bit nervous about doing that, but I understand sometimes your body needs more fuel in order to lose weight effectively and not think its being "starved."

I'm just one of those people that gains weight even by looking at a magazine photograph of a plate of brownies ;) I'll see what my trainer suggests when I go see her on wednesday :)

what do you guys think?

Hi Tea! Well, I would say it's worth a try. It helps to shake things up a bit. I remember when I was on Weight Watchers, we would do this thing called "the Wendie plan" when we plateaued. It was basically calorie cycling, with one high day and then cycling the other days. Here is the link. If you are not familiar with points, basically 22 points would be 1200 calories, 23 points 1300 calories, etc.

http://www.stormpc.com/ww/wendie_plan.htm

For me, no exercise since last week as I got a cold last Thursday and am finally recovering today. Tomorrow I will run.

~Choirgirl~

sjdphc
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello! May I join? I don't really do the treadmill. But, I have been doing the elliptical for 5 days a week for 60 minutes since March 23rd. My plan is to do the elliptical 5 days a week for 60 minutes and weight train 5 days a week for approx. 30 minutes a day. M,W,F I work on my upper body and T,Th I work on my lower body. I take Sunday and Monday off. But, I try to walk my dog for at least 30-40 minutes a day for 7 days a week.

Whew, just typing/reading that sounds like a lot! But I am proud of myself for not giving up! I am coming down with a cold. I couldn't breathe through my nostrils this morning, BUT I still managed to head to the gym and workout! Needless to say, my mouth was dry as the desert, and everyone could probably hear me huffing and puffing along, BUT I DID IT!

I do have a question, will the elliptical be "enough" for cardio? I used to take aerobic classes offered at my gym (for cardio), but the times conflict with my schedule. The elliptical can be tedious, but luckily my workout mix on my IPod helps me pull through. LOL!

sws19
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
If I can walk when I wake up tomorrow morning, then we're back in business. On Monday I decided to test the waters by getting back on the treadmill for a gentle jog, against medical advice. And I felt ok the next morning. So today, I kinda probably pushed things too far by doing 4.5 mile jog and almost a mile walking, all very slowly. I was careful to stretch a lot beforehand, taped up my legs, stretched and iced afterwards, but I can already sorta feel that I may have overdone it. Oh well, guess tomorrow will tell. I'm reaaaally crossing my fingers that things are back on track. I totally overate today but because I ran, I am not too panicky.

teawithsunshine
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
sws19-- *I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wednesday's workout session (finally had a good day exercising!):

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (not including warming up/cooling down)
* resistance training

FORGET trying to do the buns & thighs pilates dvd or additional walking!

I kicked major butt on the elliptical machine!! Got my heart rate up an average of 140 for the entire session on the elliptical and I just was drenched with sweat afterward. I do confess that alllllllllllll through my session on the elliptical machine, I had the mentality of "I wanna get OFF!!!" "Pretty Pluzzzzzzz?!" LOL. :cool: But I did it!

Now my butt & thighs are telling me some aleve might be a good idea after doing the leg press machine today! :)

Fat Pants
04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi all! can't believe it's almost the end of the work week already.

Monday - pathetic walk/run for 20 minutes, due to not sleeping the night before.

Tuesday - much better work out with the run, plus 15 minutes on the elliptical for a total of 45 minutes.

Wednesday - migraine again!!! Had to leave work and spent most of the day in bed.

I feel much better today so here's to another good workout!

choirgirlhotel
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Monday - pathetic walk/run for 20 minutes

LOL - I'm trying to envision what that looked like!

Well, I haven't done nuthin since Friday except my walk this morning for 30 min. I've also eaten badly, feel like crap, ran out of my protein powder so barely followed by 1300 calorie diet.

I was beating myself up, but then realized - it has only been one week since I've been like this, so that's okay. Back to it tomorrow!!! Oh, although it's my birthday on Sunday and I plan on having a piece of Princess Cake from Seattle. yay!

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
cgh: Happy B-day on Sunday! :) Yeah, it can take awhile to get used to a new eating routine. Keep going!!

Fat Pants-- you tried, that's important! Keep going! :) The effort helps you lose SOME weight, rather than if you DIDN't exercise at ALL and lose NO weight :) Like I said to cgh: keep going, you're doing great despite the migraines! :)

----------------------------------------
I have NOOOO idea what I’ll weigh on the scale next week monday, but I can say already I’m noticing I’m getting enough stamina to last through my cardio workout the last several days by eating a couple hundred calories more (*1,500 calories now on average for this week at the suggestion of my trainer) :)

thursday’s workout session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (a pretty good workout if I dare say so, lol ;))
* 5 minutes speed walking
* abs pilates dvd

sws19
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
ok so after the 4.5 mile bonanza, i was a little sore the next day, but nothing unbearable. though i am worried about reinflaming the shin situation, so i think today i will just do 3.1 miles aka the 5K and very slowly again. still no change on the scale front...

choirgirlhotel
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
----------------------------------------
I have NOOOO idea what Ill weigh on the scale next week monday, but I can say already Im noticing Im getting enough stamina to last through my cardio workout the last several days by eating a couple hundred calories more (*1,500 calories now on average for this week at the suggestion of my trainer) :)

I know it's scary Tea, but sometimes you have to take risks to see results! As long as you are monitoring the situation, you won't get out of control.

You've been listening to your body since you started losing weight - TRUST YOUR INSTINCT and trust your body to tell you what's going on.

~Choirgirl~

teawithsunshine
04-03-2009, 11:55 PM
sws19-- Nice and slow is a good idea! I'm keeping fingers crossed for you! :)

cgh-- Aww, that's so nice of you! :) Yeah, I really do appreciate how I'm able to have enough stamina to get thru my exercise sessions this week since I upped my calories. I know there's a pretty good chance since I started weight lifting over a week ago that my weight could maintain or even gain due to either my new exercise routine of the elliptical/resistance training and/or the increase in my caloric intake. I'll know for sure on monday when I get on the scale! :)

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (heart rate: 127... but still sweated a crazy ton and did the best I could on the elliptical!)
* Slightly over an hour of overall resistance training (phew!)
* 20 minutes walking (neighborhood)

I GOT THRU MY 2-HOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE! *SHOCKER!* ;)

teawithsunshine
04-05-2009, 12:24 AM

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (didn't feel like it was my best workout for this week, but better I spent time on the elliptical than not at all!! :cool:)
* 20 minutes speed walking
* abs pilates dvd

Mercee
04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Morning ladies

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I am finallyy back to walking on the treadmill and I feel great. I got in 45 minutes last night with company in town for the weekend so I I felt good about that. It is 37 degrees here. (what happened to spring?) Have a great day everyone.

sws19
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
i was pretty sore the next day but after two days i always feel fine. not sure what to make of that. gonna go again today. in other news, the weight is slowly creeping up again. it's starting to depress me.

teawithsunshine
04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm TIRED! LOL... several hours at the gym'll do it for ya! ;)

Monday's workout session:

* 1 hour resistance training
* 15 minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

choirgirlhotel
04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Back on track! My goal is to lose 7 lb by the end of this month.

* JM 30-day shred Level 2 this morning
* 25 min running on treadmill tonight

~Choirgirl~

sws19
04-07-2009, 11:01 AM
oooh yeah 7 pounds would be AWESOME. at this point i'm shooting for any net loss over 2 lbs. the past month and a half i've really been trapped in the same 5-lb zone, fluctuating up and down.
yesterday i jogged 5.5 miles and walked .5. did 160 crunches, and 55-60 pushups.
and.......MY LEGS DON'T HURT TODAY!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

choirgirlhotel
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
* speed walked this morning for 30 minutes.

I am SOOOO SORE from yesterday. Damn that Jillian Michaels gets me every time! Plus I hurt my knee running last night. I"m going to take it easy tonight and not do anything.

7 lb would be a dream come true!!!!

~Choirgirl~

Caleighsmommy
04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey all! I just got my treadmill yesterday!! :)
Cab I join? I did 50min walk outside and 40 mins on treadmill (2min walk, 2 min run)

Fat Pants
04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Welcome Caleighsmommy... WOW that's a great workout! You must be tired!

tea~ are you kidding, a 2 HOUR workout! :yikes: That's impressive!!

You ladies are putting me to shame! :D Last week I didn't work out after my Tuesday session. Had myself a nice little pity party with not feeling well and finally talked myself out of it on Sunday. Thankfully the scale didn't go UP! *whew*

Monday - 30 minute walk/run, took it kind of easy and did the 2 minute walk/run intervals

Tuesday - 30 minute session on the treadmill with an 8 minute run to start out the session. I ran for 15/30 minutes which makes me feel like I am BACK! :carrot: Did another 15 minutes on the elliptical to round out my evening. I'm pooped tonight.

teawithsunshine
04-08-2009, 12:24 AM
cgh-- I also want to try to lose 7 lbs by the week before the Memorial Day holiday, so I can celebrate the holiday in Seattle (folk life festival) at 169 lbs! :) But take it easy on your knees! IMO, I think Jillian was a drill Sargent in a former life! ;)

caleighsmommy-- welcome to our little thread! It's always great to have committed exercise junkies like ourselves chat here!! :)

FP-- Yeah, I know, my exercise routine seems nutty :dizzy: lol. But I do a total body resistance workout for the hour for the time being as I learn the machines. I suspect later on, I'll figure out how to break up my resistance routine so it's only say lower body one day and abs/upper body another day :D
---------------------------------
Tuesday's workout session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Did great, kept my heart rate elevated at an average of 138 beats!)
* 40 minutes of pushing a grocery cart at the grocery store (okaaaay, okaaay, it's NOT exactly treadmill routine, but eh, some walking - even if it's plodding ;) - counts, lol!)

I cannot wait for my copy of Jillian Michael's new book & portable exercise cards to come in the mail from amazon later this week!! :) *My treat for reaching my milestone of losing 130 lbs*

sws19
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
unfortunately i'm not gonna be able to work out today cause of passover. i'm hoping to get to the gym tomorrow instead since i took the day off for the holiday. all in all, passover is NOT going to be good for my weight loss efforts. sigh.

sws19
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
anyway, i think tomorrow, instead of going to see how far i can jog in 50 or 60 minutes, i will set my incline at 2 and see how far i can jog in that time but making sure i keep my heart rate below 160 for the most part. this will likely lead to me going verrrry sloooowly. at a 0 incline i already have to slow it down to slower that 5.5 mph after about 2 or 3 miles into my run just to keep the heart rate down, so i imagine i'll be doing something in the 4s for speed. should make for an interesting experiment.

choirgirlhotel
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
UGH!!! I had such a terrible run. I was totally not into it, couldn't find a decent song, running through terrible cramps and just feeling plain fat and awful.

I feel so depressed. I feel like I work so hard and have nothing to show for it. I change into my running clothes and look and myself and think - what's the point?

:-(

~Choirgirl~

Caleighsmommy
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Today I did 3miles on Treadmill!
Walk 3 mins on 3.5mph/run 1 min 5.0mph. I also did weights for the first time in foreverr :carrot: My arms are killing me, but it's definatley worth it. I dont want to have flabby arms come summer!

Fat pants- I'm glad the scale didnt go up!! I would say you were pooped!! Thats great :)

tea- Wow, what a great workout!! Pushing a grocery cart is still walking right? :) 130 lbs?! :bravo: Congrats that's amazing!

sws- Good luck with your experiment!!! Hope it goes well for you :)

teawithsunshine
04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
sws19-- let's hope your incline workout goes well! :cool: Happy Passover too!! :)

cgh-- aww, girl! Don't give up! Do a different cardio workout on days you don't feel up to being a road runner on the treadmill ;) You can still sweat it out like the best of 'em and feel GREAT! :cool:

Caleighsmommy-- Do you have an abbreviation we can use for you on this thread? Congrats on the three miles & resistance training! I've just started doing resistance training myself a bit over a week ago! Keep going, it burns more calories for ya!!

~ tea
---------------------------------------
Wednesday workout session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (frustrated the dang machine couldn't give me an average heart rate while exercising :( Still got a good sweat in!)
* 15 minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

Fat Pants
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Hang in there, cgh! :hug: We all have bad exercise days. In fact that's how I felt last week. I hate it when we KNOW our bodies are capable of doing something, but for one reason or another, just can't make things click like they should. Don't give up!

Just a quick check in, third day in a row for the run/walk, plus some time on the elliptical and a 15 minute walk outside at lunch. Usually I have a day of rest in between but hubby and I have plans right after work so I won't be able to get to the gym today. We won't get home until about 12:30 tonight and up at 5:30 for work... here's to hoping I still have energy for the gym on Friday LOL.

Keep up the good work, everyone!!!

sws19
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
awww cgh, chin up. i've never understood why one day something i did easily last week is suddenly impossible or super difficult. it's one of the most frustrating mysteries. i keep trying to remind myself that even if i just go 1 mile today as opposed to, say, 5 miles, that that's still waaaaay better than if i hadn't gone at all. of course, it's small consolation but it really is the truth.

we all just have those off days.

teawithsunshine
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Thursday's workout session:

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (It's funny how I felt tired at times, and yet sweated a whole bunch and kept my heart rate up at an average 136 beats throughout the workout!)
* (Skipped walking today... just felt tired.)

*I'm enjoying Jillian's new book that came in the mail from amazon yesterday!! :)

sws19
04-09-2009, 11:08 PM
ok so today i took the day off from work today for passover and was able to spend 2 hours in the gym! so i slowed things waaaay down, as i mentioned. did 60 mins at an incline of 2. i kept wanting to decrease the incline rather than my speed, but i stuck with it. after 60 mins i had done between 4.5 and 5 miles. i walked until i hit the 6 mile mark. then did some stretching and cool down. then about 190 crunches and 4 sets of 12 pushups.
whew!
of course, i lay on the couch and ate like cr@p the rest of the day, but my hr monitor told me i burned over 800 calories, (as opposed to my normal 600) so i'm gonna try not to sweat it too much.

Caleighsmommy
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
tea~ Cal would be fine :)

Thursday:
1.91 miles on treadmill, walked for 3 mins 3.5mph, ran for 1 min 5mph. My legs were killing me and I dont know how I made it through, took me 30 mins but I wanted to quit 5 mins in. I'm glad I didnt though.
Lifted weighted/ squats 30 mins.

teawithsunshine
04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
sws19 & Cal-- GREAT JOB you guys on your exercise routines!! Keep up the good work (even if its the holiday season). It can be tough, I know lol. :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did my 2-plus hours exercise routine today! Even though I had pre-TOM tiredness!! Yippie!

* 55 minutes on the elliptical (my heart rate was the highest this week to date: an average 141 beats! I honestly didn't expect it to be that high, considering how tired I felt and how much I P.R.O.C.R.A.S.T.I.O.N.A.T.E.D. before I actually DID workout, lol!)
* 1 hr - 1 hr & 15 minutes of total body resistance workout on the machines/floor/stability ball (phew!!!!)
* 20 minutes of walking
* Had to skip my pilates for the abs dvd tonight (just didn't have enough time budgeted in for the day :() ... I did however manage to do several sets of front/side planks & stability ball exercises for the abs during my resistance workout, so at least I did SOMETHING today for my abs :)

teawithsunshine
04-12-2009, 12:00 AM

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Even though I didn't feel like I had a very good workout today... felt tired even with a 9 hour sleep.... I averaged 132 heart beats on the elliptical machine and still had a very good, drenched sweaty exercise session :)).
* 15 walking today (outside)

Now, I can officially enjoy the rest of my weekend without exercising (I have Sunday off but back to exercising on Monday)!! LOL Have a good weekend and see y'all on Monday!

teawithsunshine
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
UGH........... I hate it when I get TOM.... just makes me feel so dang sluggish and in a grumpy funk. I did sweat it out on the Elliptical for 55 minutes and increased the incline from level 2 to level 3 today. And also spent 1 hr 15 minutes doing resistance training at the gym. But I just felt so guilty today since my TOM left me feeling tired even before I got to the gym, so it made me feel like I didn't do good enough on my workout routine today, even though I tried!!

* 1 hour 15 minutes resistance training
* 15-20 (?) minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone. I am working out on the treadmill 5-6 days a week for 20-30 min. I get bored easily so I am constantly changing things up. These are some of the things that I do throughout the week:

Walk backwards at a very high incline (I go to 10-15) at about 2.0. Hold on to the sides and take deep steps backward (almost like you are doing a lunge). You will be AMAZED at what this does for your heart rate and how sore your hams and quads will be!

I put it on manual and change my incline every 2 min - I keep the speed low enough so I do not use the bars (I find that I get a much better work out by not holding the bars) - once I get up to the highest incline, I work my way down and go more quickly.

My trainer swears by interval training. Run at 5.5 for 1 min, walk at 3.0 for 1 min - I run for 1 min and walk for 2 (I hate running) -but this shocks your body and gets your heartrate running and steady.

When I am feeling really motivated I will walk on a high incline for 5 min, walk backward for 2 min (high incline), walk low incline for 2 min, run for 1 min and do it all over again.

I find that these really help keep boredom at a minimum. I never read or watch TV while I work out on the treadmill or any other piece of cardio equipment - I find that it's so easy to lose focus and not make best use of my time.

Hope someone can find something useful from those :)

sws19
04-13-2009, 11:24 PM
wow. i'm totally gonna try the backwards incline thing. thanks!
so i am hoping things are starting to get back on track. i had a disasterous run on saturday for my 5K, which i blamed on the massive quantities of alcohol and 8 cigarettes friday night. i was totally dying the whole time and had to stop and walk several times. and afterwards i felt sick to my stomach. so today i decided to redo it and my experience was more on par with what i feel i should expect given that i took a month off. so i feel ok about that now.
going back to the physical therapist tomorrow for the first time in about 2 1/2 weeks, so hopefully he won't yell at me. heh. we'll see.
in the meantime, i've signed up for a 5K in central park in a few weeks to raise money for breast cancer. this will be my first foray running outside in years. i'm a little nervous about how it'll compare and wondering what the best way to prepare is. so far i think i will alternate days doing timed 5Ks on 0 incline and days doing untimed on a 2 incline and see how that works out for me. any other ideas?

Fat Pants
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
BES, I also swear by interval training! It has helped me lost the most inches in the shortest amount of time. I love it. I like to do interval walk/runs on the days that I'm not training for the 5k...it really wears you out in a hurry, but man oh man does it feel good when you're finished!

sws19, I would also suggest going out to the 5k route and running it once or twice before the race (if you haven't already). Not only does it shake up your routine, but you get used to the route and know which parts you may have to train harder for...or how long it takes before you get tired...etc. In fact this is exactly what my hubby and I did yesterday (I'm also training for the Komen 5k! Ours is in September, though). We walked the 5k route in the race last year and it's got some steep hills in two places. Probably no steep hills in NYC, but ya never know! I just think it really helps to familiarize yourself with the course. :D

------------------------

Saturday: ran for 16 out of 30 minutes on the TM. Good workout.

Yesterday: Weather was so nice that DH and I ran the 5k route. Finished in 36:30 and ran for about 25 minutes of that. It was great. I'm feeling way more confident than I ever have been in terms of actually accomplishing this thing. To think that just 7 weeks ago I could barely run for a minute at a time. Ultimately I'd like to finish below the 30 minute mark, but I'm really excited for my first try at running it. :carrot:

I never thought these words would come out of my mouth, but I LOVE RUNNING!

choirgirlhotel
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Walk backwards at a very high incline (I go to 10-15) at about 2.0. Hold on to the sides and take deep steps backward (almost like you are doing a lunge). You will be AMAZED at what this does for your heart rate and how sore your hams and quads will be!

Hi everyone!

First of all, I love the above idea. I remember reading about someone doing that. I think it was a female body builder (Monica something?) and/or Fergie. Their legs are amazing. It's the defined quads look like Britney Spears that I'm after!

Tea: GOOD job girl! I love the way you make your exercise a priority every day. What an inspiration you are! What Jillian book did you get?

Fat Pants: I know what you mean, when the words "I love running" come out of my mouth I'm always silent for a few beats afterward thinking, wow - did I just really say that? And mean it?

Cal: Good work!!! You are doing awesome!

Sws19: Hey that's great that you signed up, I'm impressed! I wanted to sign up for something too, but then got shin splints and got all depressed about it. How are your shin splints by the way?

As for me, I've been sick since last week. AGAIN. This sickness really kicked my a**. I haven't left the house since Thursday night. Today is the first day I actually see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Three more weeks until I go on my trip. I was hoping to get down to 160 lb by May 2 - the day I leave. I stepped on the scale today and I'm down 2 lb - but I'm going to chalk that up to my sickness and the fact that I've barely eaten for 5 days. So I'm down to 165 lb now, let's hope it stays that way so that I only have 5 lb to lose in 3 weeks. Wish me luck chicks!

~Choirgirl~

Fat Pants
04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Three more weeks until I go on my trip. I was hoping to get down to 160 lb by May 2 - the day I leave. I stepped on the scale today and I'm down 2 lb - but I'm going to chalk that up to my sickness and the fact that I've barely eaten for 5 days. So I'm down to 165 lb now, let's hope it stays that way so that I only have 5 lb to lose in 3 weeks. Wish me luck chicks!

Wooohoo, you can totally do it! I have faith in you!

I'm interested in this walking backwards at an incline thing. I'm at the point where my legs are only feeling tired towards the end of the run, but I'm up for anything that will strengthen my hammies/quads.

teawithsunshine
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey FP!! GREAT Job on your 5k workout! Always a pleasure when the weather's nice outside, isn't it?? :) Glad to see you're a runner! *That's one of my goals someday too :cool:*

sws19-- let me know how the backward incline thing works!!

cgh-- thanks for the compliment! I've had a difficult past 2 days with TOM and feeling discouraged, even though I'm trying my dangest here at the gym, lol. The new book by Jillian Michael's is called "master your metabolism." She also has a deck of exercise cards you can take with you when you travel called "Jillian Michael's Hot Bod in a Box." Both are available at Amazon :)

I also have to admit, I'm more motivated than usual because I'm meeting a gf of mine that I haven't seen in several years to go to the Seattle folklife festival this coming Memorial Day weekend. I'm hoping to get into the 160s by then, so I'll be about 100 lbs thinner (or at least 90-something pounds thinner) than when she and I first met at college years ago, lol.

Everyone else, keep going you can do it!! :)

~ tea
-------------------------------------------------

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Did better than yesterday ... my heart rate average on the elliptical was 132! Shocked the heck outta me since I felt tired & sluggish again today - due to TOM. I also didn't sweat as much today since the dang AC was blowing in my face which frustrates me, sigh. But I kept the incline at a new level - level 3 - today! So, I'm definitely feeling it in my calves for sure now, LOL!)
* 10 minutes walking

sws19
04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
so the shin splints. they were doing pretty well. i think i mentioned that i ran my 5K on saturday and it was a total fail (almost 3 mins slower than my february time, though i did take all of march off) and i felt like puking afterwards. i decided to do a do-over yesterday but this time i didn't spend the night before drinking heavily and smoking like a chimney. low and behold i seemed to be back on track. except this morning my shin splints were flared up again, but nothing like how bad it was before physical therapy. not bad pain, just sorta, well, there.
so in sum, i think tomorrow i will try the high incline backwards thingy since it'll prob be good for me to work some different muscles. the only complication will be that i seem to be getting a cold, thanks to the miserable weather here. i took some airborne tonight so hopefully i'll be in fighting shape tomorrow.

fat pants: doing a trial run is a great idea. i just need to not be lazy and make a special trip of it since i dont' live anywhere near central park. the trick will be the motivation.

cgh: you should totally sign up for one of these run/walk things. they're not competitive or a race really so i bet it's a great way to ease yourself in to organized runs. at least that's my hope. and, as the name suggests, you can either run or walk. heh. also, i'm sure you've mentioned it several times already, but where are you going on your trip again?

tea: will do.

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Let me know how the backwards walk goes!! It's a great way to shock your legs!

I wish I was a runner...maybe if I get a pretty good 'strap em in' bra it will be better!!

Fat Pants
04-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Let me know how the backwards walk goes!! It's a great way to shock your legs!

I wish I was a runner...maybe if I get a pretty good 'strap em in' bra it will be better!!

You may want to look into Enell bras.... I got one and it's the only way I'm able to run! It really "locks and loads." :lol: They are about $40-50 but imo worth it if you want to run.

sws ~ my shin splints are flaring today, too. Weird because I was JUST saying to my hubby that they don't bother me anymore. Oh well. I may have to rest today.. we'll see how they feel come this afternoon. I just bought some new shoes with more stability so hopefully they'll calm down again soon.

tea ~ I bet you could start running now! You're already a workout fiend! :lol: I have no doubt you can make it into the 160s before you see your friend next month!

Ok, as for me yesterday I took it easy (or so I thought, shins say otherwise this morning) and just walked on the treadmill for 30ish minutes at an incline. I was still sweating by the end! I brought my gym stuff today, but I may take a rest day. DH wants to run the 5k again on Friday, and if so, then I REALLY need to rest today...but the weather is supposed to be cooler and rainy, so who knows. I'm leaving on vacation next week so I'm just trying to get in as much exercise as I can!

Mercee
04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow!! This board has been busy, since I last posted. Morning all! We had guest in all last week and this week I am on vacation. Yipee!!

I have been walking faithfully and I am glad to report that I am down 3lbs. I feel great. I want to lose 10lbs by the end of May which I know is doable.

Welcome to all the newbies who have joined since I last posted.

Tea- I am sure you will reach yur goal you are a mean and lean workout machine. LOL

sws- Congrats on your 5k. At least you did it.

You ladies are amazing Keep up the good work.

unwanted37lbs
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
every day i start by warming up on a treadmill for 40 mins (or 3.1 miles aka 5K). I found 9 weeks chalange which will prepare me for 5K run. Every week devided by how many mins you walk and how many mins you run. Its a pretty cool motivation for me and a good work out. I awlays need to change my clothes (pants/underwear) after that due to sweat :)

sws19
04-15-2009, 06:03 PM
soooo no gym today. i stayed home from work in the hopes of thwarting this cold that's been threatening for the last day and a half. i was still gonna try the incline thing this afternoon until i starting coughing up some suspect-looking gunk from my lungs. so i'm just taking it easy on the couch. maybe tomorrow.

teawithsunshine
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
UGH, in addition to my TOM, I also woke up this morning with a sore throat :(

I didn't feel up to going to the gym, but my inner b*tch told me to get my booty down there or I would not be burning ANY calories for sure by sleeping in ;)
---------------------------------------------

* 2 sessions of 55 minutes EACH this afternoon on the elliptical machine, not counting warming up or cooling down.

(My first attempt for the 1st workout for 55 minutes at the elliptical was pretty pathetic, so after an hour and a half break - in which I had a strength training check-list with my trainer - I felt somewhat up to doing another pathetic 55 minutes on the elliptical... this time without the resistance/incline on the elliptical. ****Rachel Ray's show was on by then & I wanted to watch it so I figured, why not do another hour on the elliptical, even if it's a pathetic workout??? I'd be burning SOME calories, even if it's not the usual high amount I like to burn on the elliptical.**** I still don't feel like I did very well at all today in either elliptical sessions, but at least I know I tried to do a good cardio workout!!!)

* 15 minutes walking

* abs pilates dvd

sws19
04-15-2009, 11:22 PM
im impressed! all i did was lay on the couch for 14 hours.

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Does anyone (or have you) had problems with your feet getting kind of numb and tired while doing cardio on the crosstrainer/treadmill? I find after 20 min or so I have to take a break for that reason. I have good shoes - so I am not sure what the issue is? It sometimes feels like my balls of my feet are burning.

Fat Pants
04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
No gym for me yesterday, but I did manage a 20-minute evening walk with the husband. Back to the gym today!

sws19
04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Does anyone (or have you) had problems with your feet getting kind of numb and tired while doing cardio on the crosstrainer/treadmill? I find after 20 min or so I have to take a break for that reason. I have good shoes - so I am not sure what the issue is? It sometimes feels like my balls of my feet are burning.

i have this problem on the elliptical but not on the treadmill.

people have suggested trying to keep your feet flat on the elliptical pedals (not sure if that's the same as a cross trainer) to help with this problem. i haven't tried it yet though. not sure what to suggest for the treadmill.

Mercee
04-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry Stacy I've never heard of that problem I hope you get to the bottom of it.

sws- I Hope you feel better soon.

Fatpants- At least y7ou got a workout in.

I'm off to walk my7self. Have a great day ladies.
Tea- Kepp up the great work.

teawithsunshine
04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Mercee--- Thanks for the "pick me up" support! :) It's not easy to keep going to the gym during my TOM in ADDITION to having a sore throat, lol.

****ATTN to all y'all who love running... I noticed on runner's world magazine online, that they recently reissued a classic running novel called "Once A Runner" by John L. Parker, available on amazon and in bookstores now. Apparently, it's a really popular novel with runners! :)

--------------------------------------------------

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Compared to yesterday's pathetic workouts, I did GREAT TODAY!!! My heart rate was an average 143 beats compared to my weak a$$ attempts yesterday--- yesterday, my heart rate average was 109 & 116 for both sessions on the elliptical, bleah ;))
* Did about 10-15 minutes walking today outside for a change... the weather was soooo lovely with the cherry blossoms out in bloom! :cool:

**I'm taking cough drops like I'm on crack here due to my sore throat... thankfully the sugar-free kind is only 5 calories per drop! So it makes it easier for me to take it into my calorie budget for the day! :)

teawithsunshine
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Friday's session:

* 55 minutes at the elliptical (another good workout on the elliptical! Average heart rate was FAB! 151 beats!!! Whoo-hooo!)
* 15 or 20 (?) minutes walking?

My sore throat is really progressing today :( ... spent several hours coughing in bed before I dragged my sorry behind to the gym and sweated for 55 minutes on the elliptical.... thankfully, Oprah & Ellen had good interview subjects & topics on the tv propped upon the elliptical as I pounded away the minutes to the end of my session, lol.

***Plus, it helped that I was armed with a small bag of Halls sugar-free cough drops that I took liberally throughout the workout session on the elliptical, lol ;) Only way I could get through a cardio session with this dang sore throat :)

Usually, I spend Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays doing an hour of resistance training as well, but I just felt tired and was developing a headache in addition to the cramping/bloating from TOM as I neared the end of my cardio session. So I thought to myself, "well, I am sick with a cold and doing an hour of cardio is better than what most people do in this situation...."

So I just blew off my resistance training for the rest of this week. I'll go back to the gym on Saturday for my last cardio session for this week (Sunday is my regular day off from six days of exercising) and then just rest and hopefully see this dang cold go away soon!! :)

teawithsunshine
04-18-2009, 11:06 PM

* 55 minutes at the elliptical (heart rate average was a bit lower today: 129. I'll take it since my last 2 days on the elliptical were pretty high!)
* I'll get back to weight training & pilates on monday :) Promise!! I'm just taking a "sick" day off here ;)

Hope everyone feels better & have a great weekend!

~ tea

choirgirlhotel
04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes! You need to take sick day!

I'm going to try to go back for a run tomorrow, although just walking today I pretty much coughed all the way home.

I need to get well! I need to lose the 5 lb before I leave!

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was sws19 that asked me where I was going - I'm going to Hong Kong for five days, and then to Taiwan for 3 weeks to visit my brother. It should be good, if not interesting!

~Choirgirl~

bluesurfgirl
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
is it too late to join this thread? i'd like to try posting to this thread if that would be ok. i say try because i am trying to come to terms with the long string of failures and failed attempts and try to start over, yet again. i am hoping that posting daily about workouts will help with my accountability, especially when the day comes when i often get derailed. maybe this will help me get beyond that place. so if it's ok i will come back and post my workout info. thanks :)

Mercee
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Welcome!!! Bluesurfgirl- Please feel free to jump right in. We are here to support each other.

Choir- What a noce vacation. I hope you enjoy yourself.

This weekend I didn't workout but tonight I am back at it. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

teawithsunshine
04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
UGH.... my average heart rate on the elliptical was crappy today: 113. I did break a sweat and I bumped up the incline from a level 3 to a level 5 a little over half-way thru the session, since I figured if my body's having "a poor, pity-me, I'm-sick" attitude and not feel up to pumping myself hard on the elliptical, then I might aswell go low impact but increase the incline to challenge SOMETHING about myself ;) I'll find out next week weigh-in if I'm successful in dropping quite a few pounds by then *crossed fingers!!!!*

* 20 (?) minutes walking
* abs pilates dvd

No resistance training AGAIN. It bugs me, because in my mind, I'm ready and raring to go, but my body is like "ARE YOU NUTS?!" *groans.* I'll see if I'm up to it onwednesday *grumbles.*

teawithsunshine
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Did better than yesterday ... an average 126 heart beats!)
* 10 minutes walking
* skipped pilates for the legs... too busy today :(

sws19
04-22-2009, 09:37 AM
cgh - your trip sounds fantastic! can't wait to hear about it.

sooo, i've been kinda mia for a week now because i'm had bronchitis and a fever. i'm still more snotty that normal, but i'm definitely on the road to recovery. not sure at what point i can get back on the treadmill though. i'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger, but i know it's not a good idea cause i'm still coughing.

how've you ladies been?

teawithsunshine
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm happier today... I felt like I was about 85% of my usual kick-a$$ self at the gym... a few more days & I should be done with this dang cold!! :)

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (*Yippie! My average heart rate on the elliptical was 142 today!!)
* Over an hour of total body weight/resistance training (***Note to self: I need to add another few sets of free weight dumbbells for my biceps... didn't feel like I really lived up to my biceps part of my weight training today :( ***).
* abs pilates dvd (*I really could feel it in my abs during my pilates dvd since I added some new moves to my abs during my floor work part of my resistance training earlier today at the gym!)
* 10-15 minutes (?) walking

Mercee
04-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Ladies!

I didn't get to workout yesterday. I'm dealing with a stomach virus (I am living in the bathroom.) I will be glad when this is over. I also have an awful headache. I hope to be back at it tomorrow. Have a great day ladies.

Great workout

teawithsunshine
04-24-2009, 12:05 AM

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (Average heart rate was a little less than yesterday: 137, still not bad! :))
* 15 minutes walking

sws19
04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
hope you feel better soon!
i have been sick for the last 9 days but am actually gonna try and go for a run later since my cough is nearly gone at last.

Mercee
04-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Ladies'

sws10- I hope you fell better soon to. Today for me was much better and I will work out tonight.

Tea- Great job I wish I could be as consistent as you are.

Have a great weekend everyone.

teawithsunshine
04-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Mercee-- thanks! :)

Actually, I'm more motivated than usual because I'm set to go to the Seattle folklife festival this coming Memorial Day weekend with a girlfriend of mine I haven't seen in several years. I'm hoping to get into the 160s before I see her next month, that way I'll be 100 lbs thinner than when we first met in college :cool: It'll be three weeks next monday when I weigh myself so I'm hoping to have dropped a good number of pounds! :)
----------------------------------

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (My average heart rate was 132 today... not bad, but I was tired and I could really feel some sore hamstrings today, lol... so I'm fine with still being in the 130s! :))
* Over an hour of total body weight/resistance training
* abs pilates dvd (*Another great abs session!)
* 20 minutes walking

teawithsunshine
04-25-2009, 11:33 PM

* 55 minutes at the elliptical (heart rate average was one beat higher today: 133)
* 20 minutes walking (?) outside - change of pace ;)
* Pilates for the legs (dvd)

Have a great weekend everybody!

bluesurfgirl
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Welcome!!! Bluesurfgirl- Please feel free to jump right in. We are here to support each other.

thanks mercee! :)

this thread is very inspiring!

today
steady state cardio, walking, 2.5 miles
pilates reformer, 20 minutes

Fat Pants
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey everyone!! I was on vacation for a week, visiting my folks. I did survive my mom's cooking and lots of eating out, so hooray! Took a week off from the gym, but ran a 5k twice last week and feeling pretty good about it. I'm back in the gym this week to take it easy and then try to run outside again on Friday. It feels so great to be back in the swing of things!!

Gretchenpdx
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I am a tm walker. I do 1h 4-5x/week
I have recently begun a more structured interval workout.

I do a 5 min warm up
-then 2 min on 15 incline at about 3 mph (going above 3 now, but started below)
-then 2 min on a much lower incline (currently about 3.5) with as a high a speed as I can walk (currently about 4.3)
-then 2 min on a lower speed and sometimes less incline too
-then repeat about 3 more x

(there is some time in there not accounted for when the machine is changing speed/incline, in case you noticed that the #'s don't really add up)

This was a 30 min wo I got from Prevention mag but I do 60 min, however at about 45 min I change it and do the 15 (sometimes at lower speed) for as long as I can and sometimes I do the faster walk for as long as I can also (with a little of the "easy" walk in between, to recover).

Currently this yields me about 500 cal burn, lessening as I lose weight/become more fit (this # is according to my Bodybugg, not an hrm)

I like it and I do a 1h full body wo class (dumbbell and barbell lifting with a little step) 1x/week.

I *almost* want to run but really need to wait until I am lighter as I am 40 and do not want to wreck my knees (and have some minor other issues I do not want to cause aggro to).

I need to branch out but find the tm to be so flexible and relatively easy (not that my wo is easy, but, I mean it is "just" walking so no special skills are needed, you kwim)?

Cheers,
Gretchen

teawithsunshine
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Man, I was SO disappointed to find I only dropped ONE pound in THREE weeks?! :(

I counted my calories and everything... I'll have to find out next Monday when I get on the scale again if I need to drop my caloric intake from 1,500 to 1,200 again or what. I already increase the incline/resistance level of my elliptical workout every 3/4 days so my body doesn't get used to exercising at an "easy" level.)

I dunno. Anyone have suggestions?
-----------------------------------------------

* 55 minutes on the elliptical machine (not so great today, even though the elliptical machine "said" I burned over 600 calories...I take the number with a grain of salt)
* 1 hr 15 minutes (?) resistant/weight training (I moved up to 12.5 lbs dumbbells & increased the weight on the freemotion rows & lateral machines! :))
* 15-20 minutes (?) walking outside
* abs pilates dvd

sws19
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
kinda wondering if i should just give up on the whole weight loss thing for now. i haven't actually lost any weight since mid february. granted, i could be doing a better job with the dieting and exercise and would love to get to my target weight, but i'm tired of constantly being disappointed and am having a rare moment of stoicism. i could prob live with the size i am right now. it's not what i want, but it's not that horrible either, i guess.

Fat Pants
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
tea you might want to play with the calories a bit, or wait another week or two and see if anything changes. Our bodies are so strange...it would make things so much easier if weight loss was a linear process...you know... eat less calories, burn more calories and walla - weight loss! Theoretically it DOES work that way, but it never seems to be a straight equation, does it? I can't remember if you've told me this before, but are you taking measurements during these times? I have found that the weeks that I lose nothing or barely nothing, I am losing inches. Then suddenly I'll have a drop of 2-3 lbs on the scale in a week. Anyway just my thoughts!

I got back on the tm today... wanted to see my mile time and was bummed to come in at 13:45. Ugh. I just thought I'd be faster than that. But I guess it's about right. I know I really shouldn't be concentrating on speed right now, and rather be concentrating on duration (hello running for 30+ minutes anyone?) but things had been going so well with the 5k training route that I thought I would see how things were really going with actually being able to monitor my speed/distance on the treadmill.

Sometimes I feel like the treadmill really does a job on my mental strength. When I run outside, I can run for 13+ minutes, no problem. When I get on the treadmill and see those big red numbers ticking away in front of me, I seem to concentrate more on how tired I'm feeling, and I end up doing worse. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just a weirdo? :D

bluesurfgirl
04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
yesterday
weight lifting, 45 minutes

today
off, still trying to get into the swing of things, and maybe some emotional withdrawing/sabotaging while still trying to gear up and get into a routine

teawithsunshine, i saw your thread in the other section, and i think maybe some of the chicks were on to something when they said it may be that the raise in calories a bit for calorie cycling just coincided with an illness and tom and may have yielded the one pound. i think the great news is that from this you now know you can maintain when the time comes (actually even still keep losing slowly). i think if you continue with your routine and lower your calories a bit again you'll start losing at the rate you were prior. you can do it! seeing your exercise posts is very helpful, so hang in there!

sws19, definitely do what feels most comfortable for you, even if that means taking some time off to sort of take a break while maintaining. i did want to throw in there though that i read a thread sometime in the last day or two where someone mentioned that they realized they were about twenty pounds heavier than would have made them happy, for like ten years, and that they wish they'd realized that and not spent the time being somewhere they weren't quite comfortable. i have thought of that several times since reading it.

fpants, i have an easier time walking outside than when watching the numbers tick by on the treadmill too. i've started trying to use the treadmill for things that can't always be planned outside, like increasing the incline or speed for measured amounts of time and doing interval training. but in general, i know what you mean, watching the numbers tick by makes it seem longer somehow.

ok, happy progressing everyone! :)