General chatter - Do You Like Going To The Dentist?

View Full Version : Do You Like Going To The Dentist?

mazza
01-21-2009, 02:15 AM
I love it. Always have. Probably because I haven't got any fillings or had major problems. When I was a kid, I had three milk teeth pulled out because they weren't falling out by themselves and the permanents were coming through.

I've got my yearly check up tomorrow afternoon at a holistic dentist (costly but worthy). I love the smell of cleanliness...the white, clean uniforms. I know most people hate it but what's the deal with my fellow 3FCers?

Do you like going to the dentist?

lauralyn
01-21-2009, 06:15 AM
I have a very hard time with cleanings as my teeth are so sensitive that a simple cleaning really hurts me so I need lots and lots of novocain and they have to clean my teeth in at least 2 seperate visits.

Now getting a cavity filled etc I am fine with.

aphil
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I hate going to the dentist...I would rather go through childbirth! :o

My mouth/teeth are extremely sensitive...and cleanings almost bring me to tears! After a cleaning, I feel like my teeth are all loose and about to fall out of my mouth for about a week. I simply agonize it!

I HATE HATE HATE someone touching my teeth/gums. HATE it. Also, seeing someone scrape a fork or popsicle stick across their teeth sends chills up my spine and actually causes me to have physical sensations in my mouth.

:faint:

Thighs Be Gone
01-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I like going now because I think my dentist is such a cutie! If he was single and I was single I would SO be trying to talk to him.

ronni62
01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate it, hate it, hate it! Small mouth, gag easily:barf:-need I say more:lol:

flatiron
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm one of the 60 million Americans who do not have Health Insurance or Dental Insurance.

So NO I do not like to go to the dentist because I have to fork over large amounts of cash ... up front. :(

But luckly I am a Vet and can go to the VA Hospital for free and there is a dental school at the local University where I can get cleanings for $35 bucks.

Plus I was blessed with good teeth. :D

MindiV
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm terrified of the dentist. They have to sedate me to do anything more than fill a small cavity. And it's taken me a while to get to THAT point...

Glory87
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I've never had a cavity or a filling either, but I hate going to the dentist. I hate the scraping. Since I had gum surgery in 97, my gums are really sensitive and the scraping just kills me! Plus, I hate the thought of hands in my mouth. Ugh.

Tomato
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't mind. I get cleaning every 3 months in order to fight gingivitis and other than that, I don't see the actual dentist very much. I did have two fillings replaced last week (because those were very old ones and he wanted to replace them with white ones .... my benefits cover 100% of all basic dentistry [unless it is a crown or somebody like that, then only 50%]) and I have to say if I could fall asleep when there are people talking around me or doing something in my mouth, I would have. I didn't feel a thing .... I mean I did, but I was nicely frozen so absolutely zero discomfort.
I had a good dentist prior to this one, he retired a few years back (at 50yrs old!) and the practice was purchased by a younger dentist of East Indian background and I think he is even better than the previous dentist. When he gives me the freezing shots I hardly feel it at all.

Shopaholic1204
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I used to love going to the dentist. I dunno why, lol. But then when I needed a filling, my dentist was this really awful grumpy guy. And ugh..my mouth wasnt even numbed all the way, and when I told him, he didnt believe me. I felt EVERYTHING!!!! I cried the whole time!! He still didnt believe me, even with all the tears and all. It was horrible. I havent been back to the dentist since then. So I take extra care of my teeth now.

nelie
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I really love going to the dentist.

alinnell
01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't mind it. I probably only have three fillings and only have sensitivity in a couple teeth (which has gone away after using prescription toothpaste--not to brush with but rubbed on before bed). I like how my teeth feel and look after a good cleaning. I generally go with my son and it's really nice to hear the hygienist say how nice and cooperative he is (despite the fact that he doesn't brush like he should--braces really get in the way).

FB
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
NO. I was terrorized as a kid by my grandfather who was a dentist. His office was scary, equipment all WW2 era - klonky and huge, including the needles. I swear the shot apparatus was like 2 feet long. If I'd so much as squirm he'd slap my hand and tell me to hold still. :lol:

His building had an elevator that was always broken. If you pushed the button you could hear creaking and moaning from the elevator shaft. He said that was because the boogie man lived in there. We were fascinated, always trying to get the boogie man to come out - which defeated the purpose of his story.

I require several Valium now before the dentist can open my mouth.

Still, miss you Gramps!

murphmitch
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Ditto. I have said as much to my dentist. I always opt for Novacaine but I hate getting the needle in my mouth too. I always manage to chew up the inside of my mouth before it wears off and I have had cold sores break out inside my mouth after having dental instruments hold my mouth open for a filling.
My husband can fall asleep having a tooth pulled or a cavity filled. :?:

cbmare
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I've been going to my dentist for over 30 years. I have to find someone to do some more oral surgery. The one he sent me to last year did some surgery on me a few years ago and made notes that he couldn't sedate me enough. I never followed up because I just really dred the surgery.

My dental visits are not bad for me. We laugh alot, especially the time when he and his assistant started beating my breasts.

mazza, was there some reason you PM'd your profile to me?

LookingForMeAgain
01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I hate going to the dentist because I have ALOT of dental problems.
I actually like my dentist office though and am comfortable with everyone there if not Id probably never go.
But I love getting my teeth cleaned.
I just had a cleaning last week I like the way it makes your teeth feel so clean and nice. And I can almost fall asleep in their comfy chairs.

mandalinn82
01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Well, I have a really small mouth and really sensitive teeth. So it's usually fairly unpleasant and I get tears at the corners of my mouth. That being said, a routine cleaning doesn't bother me all that much. It's much worse when I have to get a filling, because my silly sensitive teeth are very reactive to the white/composite filling stuff and therefore hurt for about 2 weeks AFTER the filling is done. Which is never pleasant.

mazza
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
mazza, was there some reason you PM'd your profile to me?

Um.... no. I didn't PM my profile to you.. or at least I didn't intend to. I sent you a message of support after reading the thread you posted regarding the loss of a loved one.

choirgirlhotel
01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I like going to my dentist because he's soooo cute and nice and we totally click. HATE the hygienist though, and hate having any procedure done.

~CGH~

WardHog
01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I hate it. I have a small mouth, too. Even after just a cleaning my arms will be cramping from clenching my hands on the armrests so tightly. Hate it.

4me4mygirls
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I love it. I have terrible teeth- low enamel- tiny, sharp, but I've always felt relaxed there. Even as a child I would fall asleep during cleanings and fillings, and i'm such a relaxed patient, that my dentist gave me free lumineer veneers because he wanted to try them and I was a good test subject. I also have a really high pain threshold. I rarely need novacaine for a filling.

cbmare
01-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Um.... no. I didn't PM my profile to you.. or at least I didn't intend to. I sent you a message of support after reading the thread you posted regarding the loss of a loved one.

I answered you. It was because there was only a "." in the subject line and I didn't see it. I clicked on your name and it opened your profile.

Thanks.

TiffTiff1985
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I love going to the dentist...only for the compliments though. I have perfectly straight teeth with no braces needed and I have never had a cavity, so they gush over my teeth. Hey I gotta take my compliments on my appearance where I can get them!

My fiance says they tell everyone they have perfect teeth. Is this true?

The last time I went though...they did this sandpaper type floss thing between my teeth and that was torture!!!! I can't stand that scraping feeling...it reminds me of the feeling when u tear cotton balls apart. Gives me chills! I do have to get my wisdom teeth out soon though. They are impacted. That may give me a different opinion of the dentist since I have never had anything done other than cleanings and a cap on a chipped tooth. We will see.

kitten
01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
i was traumatized by dentists as a kid. just hearing the drill would send me into a panic. one time i was held down while they drilled on my jaw to get out a wisdom tooth and told- "you don't feel anything."
i DID feel it!!!
i have had root canal with a doctor who actually yelled at me because i cant keep my tmj mouth open.
well, i hadnt gone to the dentist in over 12 years. the last one i tried to go to told me i was too nervous and he could not work with me.

finally, about a month ago, i went with my husband to a new dentist he had been to. he had to announce to everyone in the waiting room that i hadn't been to a dentist in over a decade. lovely. he assumed i was going to have all kind of work needed.

guess what? i got through it and no cavities or serious work needed! the only thing i needed was a space filled in where i have brushed too hard. they did it and i got through it with only some minor clenching of the seat. during the procedure, they shot a lot of water in my mouth and i told the dentist that it was dental water boarding. he said "well, you chose to come to guantanamo dental"
i thanked him for his humor after. it made all the difference for me. im not scared to go back now.
AND obsessive oral hygiene paid off! lol!

preetyladyserenity
01-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I like going to the dentist. The feeling after its visit is so nice! Plus he always praises my lovely teeth.

Of course, I also like going to my dentist because he is like THE MOST GORGEOUS MAN I ever saw. :o I don't mind going through the pain because I keep looking into his eyes.

Thinking about it, I do believe I am a wacko. :joker:

jademarlene
01-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I had a really bad experience with getting a tooth filled one time, after six needles the novacaine still was not working and by that time I just wanted it done, shear torture. I changed dentists and told the next one he better numb me from the neck up.............he does, lol. Hate going, hate paying, but feel good afterwards.

jtammy
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't mind too much, particularly if it is for more than a cleaning and I get laughing gas. ;)

I have had several fillings replaced this year and like Amanda, they are very sensitive for the next several weeks. I also had a root canal in November and I was so happy to get the root canal and get rid of the horrible pain that I could have hugged my dentist afterward.

Windchime
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I used to love going to the dentist. I dunno why, lol. But then when I needed a filling, my dentist was this really awful grumpy guy. And ugh..my mouth wasnt even numbed all the way, and when I told him, he didnt believe me. I felt EVERYTHING!!!! I cried the whole time!! He still didnt believe me, even with all the tears and all. It was horrible. I havent been back to the dentist since then. So I take extra care of my teeth now.

Ugh, how terrible! I have always had painful, sensitive teeth. I had a lot of huge fillings that I got when I was a kid so my teeth were always very sensitive to temperature, which made even simple things like cleanings very painful because it felt like they were shooting ice water onto my cold-sensitive teeth! When I complained about it, the hygenist said, "You've had a root canal in that tooth; you can't be feeling anything in it" and kept shooting the water. So, like you , I decided I was done and not going back again. Ever.

I stuck to that plan for several years until my teeth started crumbling away around those 30 year old fillings. Eventually I HAD to go back. By then, my dentist's practice had been taken over by a younger man (in his 30s and quite the hunk!). I just bared my soul to him, told him that I was a huge baby, that even cool water makes my teeth painful, and that I need LOTS of novocaine. I ended up having to get 5 or 6 crowns on my poor teeth with the crumbling fillings, and guess what--WAY reduced temperature sensitivity! I know this remedy won't work for some people, but it turned out to work for me.

Now that all the crowns are done, I don't mind going for cleanings. I always ask for the same hygenist and she knows I'm a big baby, so she puts a numbing agent on my gums and keeps re-applying it throughout the cleaning.

I'm amazed that I go like I do now. For so long, I was terrified. I would stay awake and cry the night before I had to go, and I always cried while I was in the chair. I'm still tense and there is no way I will listen to music, because I want to know what's going on. But it's much, much better than it used to be.

If your dentist doesn't believe that you are hurting or doesn't seem to care, then it's time to find a new dentist. With modern techniques being what they are, a painful visit is a reflection on the lack of skill of the dentist! Just my opinion.

lalique
01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't mind going... I never really liked the ortho when I had braces though! haha...

I always love the feeling after a good cleaning! :D

sweet_talker
01-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I just feel awkward in the dentist's chair...they ask "does it hurt?" and it's like, "of course it hurts! you're poking my gums with a big metal stick" but at the same time I realize that's their job and I just want to get it over with. And I really don't like when people try to make conversation but it's impossible to answer because their hand is in my mouth.

srmb60
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Scares the crap outta me! But I'm glad to go today. The whole side of my face hurts!

Amy8888
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM

My mouth/teeth are extremely sensitive...and cleanings almost bring me to tears! After a cleaning, I feel like my teeth are all loose and about to fall out of my mouth for about a week. I simply agonize it!

I HATE HATE HATE someone touching my teeth/gums. HATE it. Also, seeing someone scrape a fork or popsicle stick across their teeth sends chills up my spine and actually causes me to have physical sensations in my mouth.

:faint:

I think you are my alter-ego.