Weight and Resistance Training - BFL Starters - Sunday, Jan 25

View Full Version : BFL Starters - Sunday, Jan 25

sportmom
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
So I wasn't going to put up a separate thread, but then I see other people asking about it in other threads or forums, so I thought I would pull it out of the monthly chart just so people considering it can opt in if they want.

I still think we should chat about our outcomes in the monthly chat tho bc alot of people there can help us with our questions or direct comments on us, that may not otherwise comment on a separate thread, and I want to learn from them! :twirly: So, just what I'm thinking.

So Yes, it will be the Super Bowl, but nothing like starting off your challenge with a challenge! ;) You can survive a party on BFL - just remember that for every veggie and dip, you need a bit of chicken and a gulp of water! :lol3:

I'm not setting any goals for the challenge other than to DO MY BEST. Don't want to create any disappointment if I don't meet set goals each week. Oh, I know what I'd LIKE to see happen, but I'm not going to chart it all out.

Lydia227
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Fortunately we do not watch the Super Bowl at our house. However, I just wanted to point out that the Eating for Life cookbook does have a decent recipe for chili,(served this to my girlfriends this afternoon during lunch) buffalo chicken sandwiches and a salsa dip made from cottage cheese, salsa, and ff plain yogurt. Check out your local library to see if it is available for other ideas as well. I lean pretty heavy upon this thing for switching up my food. DH really enjoyed the shrimp scampi last week too. But of course he's just grateful for anything more evolved than a broiled chicken breast and a half plate full of broccoli. :rofl:

Fran, I want to look as good as the chick in your avatar. Thanks for the motivation.

sportmom
01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Oh, Ms. Yoga.... I've been wondering and you would know.... is that her left or right leg she's pulling back with her right arm? I always thought it was her right, but then started doubting myself. It's like one of those - 'is she spinning left or right' brain tests!

jamsk8r
01-21-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm in! I need something to help keep me on track. This will be fun! (you know, in a "pain is my friend" sorta way)

elisa822
01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Fran - I love your avatar too and it's her right leg that she's holding onto. That's one of my favourite poses...but no, I don't look like that! ;)

I'll be back to say whether or not I'm oficially in for the challenge. I don't want to do it unless I'm serious about it. I'm going for a fitness assessment at the gym on Friday so it's all good timing really.

Good luck to all!

dixied
01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm in. I'm hitting the bookstore for a copy today, and I might even talk a co-worker into joining me.

DH was looking at the food list last night, and he's willing for me to cook/serve the food, but he's not going to exercise. He's "going to lose the weight first, then tone up." That's right, I married a moron. ;)

sportmom
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
LOL Dee! It's ok, that's how alot of people have to approach it. It's too much all at once maybe for him to process it all. One thing I like so much is that the food is just so basic and wholesome. No crazy combinations or can't haves. BTW, I am NOT doing the supplements or protein powders at all. I will have to live without that and just see what that gets me.

Lydia227
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
He's "going to lose the weight first, then tone up." That's right, I married a moron. ;)

:lol3: (happy sigh) Well, we can lead by example. :D

midwife
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
:lol: Men!!

I'm so in! I'm following the workouts and nutrition plan set by my trainer but there are some things I can improve/clean up, so even though it's not BFL per se, I'll work really hard for 12 weeks right along with you ladies!

The plan:

HIIT 3 times per week
weightlifting 3 times per week
1 long run (> 5 miles---don't laugh Lucy! It's long to me!)
super clean eats---one "free" meal per week (rather than 1 free day per week)

The goals:
see the 140s
reduced stomach pooch (perhaps I should find my tape measure!)
and I am pursuing Tomato's size 4 jeans---size 6 would be good!

WaterRat
01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
So Yes, it will be the Super Bowl, but nothing like starting off your challenge with a challenge!

Wait, I thought you were starting this Sunday, i.e. Jan 25. Super Bowl is the next week, Feb 1.....

I'm considering. I need to do something more than I'm doing, as I'm in a real rut and am in need for some mental and physical :kickbutt:

sportmom
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Sign me up as the #1 football fan, huh?! I thought it was always in January. Oh well, it just missed it this year.

OK, so you still get your challenge - just one week in! A renewal commmitment challenge we'll call it! I think it will be harder that way; luckily we won't have anything for the party.

kittycat40
01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Wait, I thought you were starting this Sunday, i.e. Jan 25. Super Bowl is the next week, Feb 1.....

I'm considering. I need to do something more than I'm doing, as I'm in a real rut and am in need for some mental and physical :kickbutt:

Y'know I was so confused. It took me a really long time to figure out when superbowl was. I had a plan for a get together so my football loving son could watch with others of his ilk. Then....??

got it now :D

actually, not so much... does this start this sun or next??

And midwife, you made me :D:lol: f'real!! :p

WaterRat
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I think Fran means to start this Sunday, she just thought it was Superbowl (and yes, Fran, it did used to be in January). I had to google it myself to be sure of the date. :)

kittycat40
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
gotcha :)
next, I get the book.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Fran, I asked you q question over on the BL thread, but I'll ask some here, too. BFL......is a diet? a strength training program? a cardio program? All three? Are the exercises based on free weights or can I begin with the weight machines. My gym has both, but I'm more comfortable starting off with the machines.

I'm very interested in looking slenderer quicker.:dizzy: Does that make sense?

sportmom
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Rhonda, yes, yes, and yes! Visit this website:

www.bodyforlife.com (http://www.bodyforlife.com)

It is based on free weights, but every exercise on the website could be replicated on machines as well. Don't let that stop you from jumping in with us - just do the same thing on the machines.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
When you first start out, are you just doing one or two sets...or all sets? I want muscles, so this sounds like something I could really get into.

dixied
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Since I was supposed to be doing UB today anyway, I went ahead and did my first BFL style upper body workout. Holy Biceps Batman! I don't think I'll be able to lift my arms long enough to drive to work. Keep in mind that I did the same 2 exercises per part that I did on my last UB workout, only leaving off the traps and forearms exercises. So 4 less exercises, but I'm feeling it twice as much. I'm sold!

Rhonda - As I understand it (and I just re-read the book last night). You pick an exercise for each part, then do all the sets, the choose another move for the same part and just do 1 set of 12. Here's an example:

Shoulders:
Exercise 1: Standing Shoulder Press
Set 1: 12 reps x 6 lbs.
Set 2: 10 reps x 9 lbs.
Set 3: 8 reps x 15 lbs.
Set 4: 6 reps x 24 lbs.
Set 5: 12 reps x 15 lbs.
Exercise 2: Lateral Raises
Set 1: 12 reps x 12 lbs.

Don't be laughing at my girly weights ;), I wanted to start at home before I went and embarrassed myself at the gym.

There's a downloadable excel spreadsheet over at the offical BFL site, it helped me visualize the sets/reps: http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/journals.asp

sportmom
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks Dee, that explanation helped me as well. I thought we had to do 2 full exercises, so this will save me some time! :)

Rhonda (and Dee), I've attached another file that you might like for your dailies. http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/downloads/exercise_guide.pdf

Dee, when you go back and do the 12 at the end, are you supposed to go back to your starting weight as well, or a different weight? And the one other that you do the 12 of, is that at any weight as well?

sportmom
01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh, just wanted to post this info as well, that someone on our Biggest Loser thread posted. She said that Bill Phillips (original author) has since come out to say that for people looking to lose more fat than 20-25 lbs, they can drop one weight lifting day, so only do 2, and pick up an extra day of cardio.

I know many here have commented that 3 cardio days is just not enough for max fat loss, so wanted to throw that out there. I myself am wondering if I should still do the day of 3 lifting and do 4 cardio. I'll still take the day off on Sunday for food prepping, but I can do a lifting and a cardio session both on either Friday nite or Saturday. In a way I don't want to "mess up" the formula, but not sure you can go wrong with just adding cardio. However, you could burn out I suppose, which tends to be my issue.

dixied
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Dee, when you go back and do the 12 at the end, are you supposed to go back to your starting weight as well, or a different weight? And the one other that you do the 12 of, is that at any weight as well?

The 12 reps of exercise 2 should be done at a weight where you are working at a "10" on the intensity index. (10 being highest, 1 being the lowest)

Oh, just wanted to post this info as well, that someone on our Biggest Loser thread posted. She said that Bill Phillips (original author) has since come out to say that for people looking to lose more fat than 20-25 lbs, they can drop one weight lifting day, so only do 2, and pick up an extra day of cardio.

I know many here have commented that 3 cardio days is just not enough for max fat loss, so wanted to throw that out there. I myself am wondering if I should still do the day of 3 lifting and do 4 cardio. I'll still take the day off on Sunday for food prepping, but I can do a lifting and a cardio session both on either Friday nite or Saturday. In a way I don't want to "mess up" the formula, but not sure you can go wrong with just adding cardio. However, you could burn out I suppose, which tends to be my issue.

I was going to just add in 1 long run (4 miles?) on my off day. I think I read somewhere that if you are already active or needed more fat loss that it was okay to add and extra cardio session. My 1 long run is just so I can run my
5Ks and not have to stop and walk after 20 minutes. My trial 20 minute session yesterday with the intervals went well, and I ended up with about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. I added a 5 minute warm-up and cooldown onto the BFL 20 minutes, because I know my legs will cramp if I don't. Been there, don't wanna do that again. I can't see that adding in 10 minutes of walking is going to mess with the program (or I'd never be able to walk around the grocery store).

mountain mama
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
hey guys :)
I have never really looked much into body for life.. but I think i will!
I do, however... LOVE myloplex light shakes! :)

Anyway.. i will dosome research tonite and see whats up!

So are you guys al starting the challenge on the 25th? is that the deal?
(sorry.. im slightly slow today) hehe

jamsk8r
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Fauxtini, yes, we are starting officially on the 25th. Some are doing the BFL, and some of us are following our own programs, but joining in for the challenge of keeping it OP and getting results over the 12 weeks. :)

WaterRat
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Morning. Good to know about adding a cardio session/dropping a weights one. I was working things out and it will work better for me to do 4 cardio and 2 weights, probably NROLW.

The newspaper and a gym here (not mine) are running a weight loss contest which is basically the same time frame. You have to weigh by this weekend, and at the end, and the winners are chosen by percentage of weight lost (a la biggest loser). Money prizes for the top 3. Plus you can get a coupon for a free blood lipid panel at the beginning and the end. I haven't decided whether to sign up - would it be more incentive? I certainly won't win given the rate at which I lose. On the other hand, it doesn't cost anything, and they of course want to advertise how much the area has lost in total.

sportmom
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes, Pat, sign up! It can't hurt and the lipid panel would be interesting to compare to your last one if you have records of it.

So the consensus from my digging around on other forums seems to be that adding extra cardio in is ok, as long as it is not HIIT bc the feeling is that doing that more than 3x week could really be overtraining, which none of us want to risk. Regular cardio like a long walk, easy run, or other activity which you've been doing already and are used to, seems to get the thumbs up.

Went to Costco at lunch and got a ton of good fruits and veggies. I'm realizing from looking at all these planning sheets that I need to plan, plan, plan in advance, write down my meals and be prepared to make those. Wow - I will be busy on Saturday.

Everywhere I read cautions to not be tied to the scale during this challenge. I'm debating weighing only monthly, does anyone else think they can break the daily weighing habit?

dixied
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Everywhere I read cautions to not be tied to the scale during this challenge. I'm debating weighing only monthly, does anyone else think they can break the daily weighing habit?

How about weekly instead? I still need the BL weekly weigh-in, even though I'd rather have inches lost than pounds lost right now.

mountain mama
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
i weigh in weekly now instead of like 64086708 times daily. That's a major cut back for me and i know i feel better when im not so dependant on the scale.
i know i couldt make it weighting monthy and i have to weigh for TBL anyway.

im interested in tracking my inches. im gonna measure up in the morning :)

WaterRat
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
does anyone else think they can break the daily weighing habit?

Easily! I don't have a scale at home. :lol:

Fran, I have blood work done every 3 months anyway, as I walk on the edge of having Type II Diabetes. I'm jealous that you can get lots of fruits and veggies. Mine will likely be more frozen than fresh, given the lack of variety and poor quality of much of what there is, here. But it's nothing new, and the summer makes up for much of it.

Depalma
01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
If you are thinking about or worried about tweaking the program somewhat, you may find this interesting. It talks about some of the tweaks some past champions have made etc.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPBodyforLife.html

sportmom
01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks DP!! This is an awesome site - he is answering so many great questions that I feel like I've been talking to him about this already!

One question I need clarification on if anyone can jump in....

Why must I eat oatmeal with eggs or something else? Isn't oatmeal a standalone good balance of both carbs and protein?

I've provided some answers to make it easier for you:
a) Oatmeal is considered primarily a carb. While it does contain protein, not a significant amount to balance the carb, so you must add a protein.
b) all foods are either a protein or carb predominantly. That determines what you match it up with.
c) all of the above
d) none of the above. Correct answer here.......

The thing that confused me is oatmeal had to be eaten with egg. Yet a pancake or french toast did not. Now, true, when I looked up the recipe, the pancake was made w/eggs added in to the mix and the f/toast had a protein powder concoction as the topping. But I totally see those as predominantly carbs, like oatmeal is, and with a small component of protein per the recipe.

This is why I'm confused.

jamsk8r
01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't know about you, but if I ate just oatmeal, I'd be starving about an hour later. That's why I would put a protein with it, personally. I know, that probably does not answer your actual question, sorry!

mountain mama
01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
i put almond slices in my oatmeal when im cooking it.. it adds more protien:)

Depalma
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
A and D. In this case mostly A

To multiply the amount of protein in just oatmeal in order to get your meals allotment of protein grams, you are going to be consuming a lot of extra carbs. In order to count the food as both a carb and a protein, in my opinion, they will need to be close to a 1:1 carb to protein ratio. Oatmeal has, I think, about a 5:1 carb to protein ratio (or more), so I would definitely consider it a carb with a protein "bonus".

Also, while oatmeal contains a good deal of protein, the protein is not complete protein in that it does not contain all of the essential amino acids. This limits to the usable amount of protein. Which is why those who do not partake in animal proteins (which are all sources of complete protein) learn how to combine the different incomplete proteins so that all of the essential amino acids are provided. Technically, it is not absolutely necessary that these be combined in the exact same meal, but they need to be combined while the unused amino acids are still in the bloodstream before they are converted to glucose and burned as energy or stored as fat.

I'm not up on which incomplete proteins should be combined with which (although a common one is rice with beans) so I'm not sure what you should look to have with or in the meal after your oatmeal if you which to "complete" it with another incomplete protein. A vegetarian website would almost definitely have this information for you.

dixied
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks DP! That article was exactly what I was looking for, specifically this part:

Bill's advice seems to target about 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat (which is largely contained in the whole foods you eat, even "lean" meats). Since you'll be doing weight training, shoot for at least a gram of protein per pound of lean weight daily, regardless of your specific goal.

I'm going to tweak Bill's ratios because of my PCOS to 30% carbs, 40% protein, and 30% fats, with all of my carbs coming from whole grain or lower GI sources. Because I'm such a dork about these things, I've created a excel spreadsheet with those different ratios at different calorie levels, and then meal plans for each calorie level.

I'm never sure where my calories should be, so I try to cycle them somewhat through the week. I had thought about going and having my metabolism tested at the lab down the street. For $40 they will test you and tell your exact basic metabolic rate. I've used various online calculators, but they all give me different numbers, which vary wildly.

WaterRat
01-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Hmmm, I see. I always add some protein to my oatmeal, usually in the form of walnuts, which also add Omega-3's. Otherwise, it doesn't hold me for long. As one who doesn't eat a lot of meat, I'm always looking for alternative protein sources. Usually I end up with cottage cheese and beans (not together!) Even when I do eat animal protein it's not much. DH and I usually split a boneless chicken breast for instance, and then often don't finish the dish I used it in. DP, borrowed your lunch idea and last night sauteed zucchini, onions and red peppers, then added some curry sauce. I had mine over some leftover rice, DH had his over potato. Very yummy! We eat mainly chicken and salmon, with occasional beef and pork. I guess I need to do a little research to see how much protein I'm actually eating. I go through spells of entering my food in Fitday which will tell me. Need to get a little more consistent with that. (Not as compulsive as you Dixie :) )

So I found out that my gym is running a 6 week program where you keep track and go to the gym 3x a week. At the end, everyone who did gets entered into a drawing for prizes. Some are bigger - like a ski area one-day pass - others are smaller - like a t-shirt or water bottle - but it's something to keep you going during the cold dark days of winter. And for a change, I'll be in town for the next six weeks, so I signed up.

I'm planning to be ready to go on Sunday!

sportmom
01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
So is everyone starting with Sunday as their free day then? :lol: I just realized that, and I had been thinking all along that the BFL plan has you start on a Sunday. Then I think I just realized yesterday when I looked up a few things up that it could technically start on a Monday. Mondays are hard tho, ya know, having to do this new, every 3-hr eating thing on a work day? Might need the weekend to do the first day. Does anyone care on which day we start? I will be all messed up anyway because I would prefer to do my workouts on Fridays/the weekends and take my free day/day off during the week which tends to be more crazy for me.

I was telling the teachers at dd's school today about what I'm doing. They were all talking about what plan they're doing now, and BFL says you should publicly commit to your goals, so, what tha heck - it seemed like time to confess. One of the things I was telling them was that really nothing is off-limits, that you just try to eat smarter. Yes, I can have a white baked potato. You wouldn't have cheese & bacon (unless canadian) over your grilled chicken at a restaurant, you would ask them to hold that; that you would try to get your veggies steamed plain without the seasoning/butter sauce often used, etc.

But I'm right in saying that you COULD, if you choose to, eat from the menu, right? But perhaps your results would not be as great as if you asked them to hold the cheese/bacon, or use low fat cheese/egg beaters, for example. I think that's pretty liberating.

I know I will be enjoying my one portion of fat each day. Likely via a spoon and the PB jar (if it's not on the salmonella recall list by next week!)

midwife
01-23-2009, 06:35 PM
My trainer gave me a list of protein exchanges that approx = 25 gms of protein. If anyone wants it, PM me. All of these exchanges are animal based, btw. I think it would be too hard for me to get the protein I want with the carb levels I want doing non-animal based foods.

I look for 25 gms of protein 6 times a day. My oatmeal has 6 grams of protein so it would not meet that goal for me if I had it alone. I make mine with protein powder (although I know that is off limits for you, sportmom) but one of my favorite things to do with my oatmeal is blend it with cottage cheese and eggs and cook like pancakes. :drool:

Gotta get the kids from school.....

jamsk8r
01-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Fran, what day to start doesn't matter to me. I'm pretty much already doing it, except once the challenge is "on" my personal goal is no missed workouts. I do take a rest day from exercise if needed, but not on the same day each week, and I won't be taking any free food days or meals, since I don't do well with those.

mountain mama
01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
jam: yeah.. i dont do well with free food days.. it turns quickly into an all out binge.. haha it's all or nothing with me.
imgonna focus on my exercise this challenge.. because my eating is pretty much under cntrol.. but im slacking in the work out world.

midwife
01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
My plan is to stick with a free meal each week, rather than a free day. And I guess I've already started this week!

dixied
01-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't care what day we start, Sundays are my "alone" day, as DH is at work and I'm off, so I think I may start on Sunday and that way if I did take a free day it would be a Saturday when we're both off. Right now I usually just take 1 free meal a month. That let's me justify my monthly pms ice cream pint. Although I guess it would technically be 2 meals since it now takes me 2 days to eat a pint of ice cream. Back when it was my drug of choice, I could finish off a pint a day and still want more.

I finished most of my pantry stocking this morning. Between the rice and beans, I think most of my carb choices are in place. I already had a freezer full of lean protein, so I think I'm set.

DH is going to take my pictures when he gets up. I need to do my measurements and body fat. I'm going to try a new method for calculating BF, my scale said 38% last month, so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference. When I had it done at the old gym in Dec it was 33%. Maybe I should just average the methods? :D I really want to find somewhere closeby with a bodpod. Or submersion.

Off to find my tape measure...

midwife
01-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Argh!! I can't find my tape measure!!!

sportmom
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey guys, what is ff milk and lf cheese? I see that full fat dairy is on the list of fats to avoid, but i don't see ffmilk/lf cheese mentioned. Is it a protein? It can't be a fat, if it's ff, right?

midwife
01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
My skim milk has 12 grams of carbs per serving and 8 grams of protein per serving. So, it's both and you could use it for both looking at an all over meal plan, I suppose.

Lydia227
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow. Looks like everyone is busy planning for this challenge this week. I'm so excited. I kind of began this week. Like Cheryl, my everyday eating really is still based this way. My "challenge" for this challenge is to eliminate the little deviations that have crept into my diet.

Things like finishing my BFL 40,40,20 meal and then looking in the pantry for some pretzels and dousing it in mustard. :nono: Certainly this kept me at my current weight and needs to stop.

Or the eight to ten almonds I might throw back in betwen my lunch and my afternoon snack. Not exactly something that is going to cause me to gain a whole lot of weight but it is something that again could hold me back from losing more and reaching my long term goal.

I'm on a quest to find a body fat analyzer this afternoon. I've always been curious in the summer the difference between my winter size vs summer size. I know that I have always been able to peel off an additional three or four pounds after losing the winter weight gain. This year I want to know how that translate into body fat measurements.

NEW SHOES! :dance: I GOT NEW RUNNING SHOES! :dance: Oh Elena I know that happiness you felt over your zumba shoes. I replace them every year but I think maybe it should be more like every six months. These feel so WONDERFUL. I ran and I ran and I ran with NO PAIN. I then did some kick *** sprints around the track. Like I could feel my hips fully extend behind me during the sprints. :goodvibes: WOW! That was great. EVERYONE should experience just how wonderful that feels!

Interesting note though. I cooled down a little, did some chin ups and then attempted back squats. I did load the bar a little heavier than usual for my first set but what I found was that my hip flexors were really really tight when I got down into the lowered position. It was so darn hard to pull myself back up and out of that flexed position in my hips. :chin: Do you think the sprints had something to do with that? That has never ever happened to me before. It felt like they were locked. I just kind of hung there a little bit and then had to push through it to the top position again.

When people would describe how difficult the squat was for them to explode from the hips I cognitively understood that but never experienced it. Well, today was my turn. Kind of felt like I might need those stays just in case today. By the third set all was right with the world and I was able perform the squats with much better range of motion and pull myself up without feeling that downward resistance from my hips. Anyway, just thought I would share. Don't sprint just before squatting. :lol:

By the way, which day are we officially beginning anyone? Sunday usually is my off day but I'm willing to forgo it. Really. Fran, I can't believe you thought of Sunday as a free eating/meal day. That is just too funny.

Fran: About the nonfat/lowfat dairy. I usually see the dairy, milk, as a carb. It does have a little protein in it but really, it's has more carbs in it. If I'm looking to add it to a meal, it would be counted as a carb choice for me. I would then need to add something predominately protein like whey powder, or prepare eggs or have turkey or chicken to eat with it as I drink it. Overall though, I rely upon Fitday to keep these macronutrients in the correct percentages.

jamsk8r
01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Lydia, congrats on the new running shoes. I'll be buying some next month, since mine are past due for being replaced. I'm going to the real running store this time, to get some advice on which ones to get.

The hardest part of the squat for me is listening to my knees popping. Doesn't hurt or anything, but it's distracting and feels weird. I keep thinking I should be able to reposition my stance and make it go away, but nothing seems to help. :shrug:

I'll be restocking the food today, too. I'm set for meat and veggies, but need some snacks and I'm out of parmesan cheese. :fr:

I'm excited for the challenge to start, even though I'm already doing it. I need to get out more, lol!

sportmom
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Just got back from my grocery shopping which was a workout in itself. Due to our schedule today & when I could go w/o kids so that I could really focus, didn't get there until 3 pm'ish. Packed and a 1/2 hr drive each way to get there. But its done now and I"ve got the dreaded cottage cheese and eggebeaters in my fridge! lol I don't know why, but I feel like I'm going to be really confused on my combinations. Like the milk example. Not everything is on the list.

dixied
01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Fran - It's a bit time consuming, but I took everything out of my pantry and put it into an Excel spreadsheet so I could sort it by Carbs, then Protein. It helped me better judge what food was what.

midwife
01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I tend to be a pretty black and white person with my food categories.

Proteins are animal products or protein shakes.

Beans (even though they have protein) I consider a carb serving. Same with any whole grains....any protein they have is bonus protein but doesn't substitute for a protein. I would consider traditional yogurt and milk a carb serving even though there is some nice protein bonus. Greek yogurt, however, I consider a protein if it has >20 gms of protein a serving and < 6 gms of carbs. There are typically a few grams of fat in the greek yogurt I buy.

Fats= nuts, oils, avocado, cheese, again pretty cut and dry, even if there is some protein

Fruits & veggies are their own categories, even though they may contain some carbs or protein. The exceptions are corn and potatoes, I consider those carb servings. Carrots are pretty carby too but I don't eat enough of them to worry about it too much.

sportmom
01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
My plan is to stick with a free meal each week, rather than a free day. And I guess I've already started this week!

I've spent the day reading thru some of the near 60 pages of google search returns that come up on Body for Life. Some of them speak about what they eat on their free day - they go ape crazy! Sorry, eating 4-5000 calories on the free day isn't QUITE in the spirit of the plan I don't think. I mean, pork rinds, chocolate to extremes, it was just kind of odd thinking. Of course, I don't know how well they did in the end.

My thinking is that I will have a free day, centered around one meal out like breakfast and then will eat well the rest of the day. Free to me would mean freedom from having to do the carb/protein matchup at every turn, maybe eating fewer but larger meals, but definitely staying within the 2000 calorie range.

Thanks, midwife, for the explanation above. That b&w approach works for me too and is helpful. Fruit is always a carb, right? He only says to add veggies to 2 meals a day. I guess any fruit you consume has to count as a carb serving then, right?

midwife
01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Since I'm not following BFL, I don't want to give you the wrong info, but here is my nutrition plan in a nutshell:

These are my goals, anyway! :lol: Sometimes I hit them, sometimes I don't. But that is where this challenge comes in, right?

This program is based on exchanges and was developed for me by my trainer so I will probably delete this post in a few days, but those of us starting tomorrow might find it helpful.

Deleted. If ya really wanna know, PM me.

So I do consider my fruit servings to be "fruit" even though they do contain "carbs".

I hope this helps, even though it may or may not bear any similarity to the BFL plan.

michelle127
01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey ladies! I'm with you! Right now I'm nursing my owies (2 root canals). The root canal teeth are fine, but it feels like someone beat the crap out of my mouth...
I'm ready to greet the day tomorrow and eat the BFL way. I'm going to do my best to hit my 10's and then keep it going through the week.

My goals - to lose 40ish pounds and get to an 18 (the normal side of the store). Maybe that's a lofty goal - who knows? My number 1 goal? To make it through all 12 weeks! I'm going to weigh in weekly (probably hourly - I'm a bit obsessive).

Are we going to meet here? Anyone taking measurements and photos?

sportmom
01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
THanks midwife! That was very hopeful. I plan to print that off so I don't lose it when you delete. I think it is very similar to BFL - we're told a carb/protein mix at every meal, add a veggie to 2 meals/day, and 1 fat per day. 10 glasses of water. Eating 6x/day - 3 meals, 3 snacks.

Michelle - yeah, I'll start a thread I guess by week so that we cans sort thru our challenges/obstacles and accomplishments by week. That way it will also be avail to anyone starting after us who might find it helpful. I am going to take pix and measurements tomorrow for posting at the end. I am only going to weigh myself tomorrow and then monthly - so the start of weeks 5 and 9. Tho most people have said they're starting tomorrow, I'll make the thread for a Sun/Mon start in case anyone wakes up tomorrow with an crisis that delays them getting started. (sick kid, sick car, just sick themselves!)

So I have to say tho on the weighing, everything I read warns of not having big scale losses - so take that into consideration before doing your hourly weighing. :lol: I just don't want that kind of pressure myself, so I"m hoping to feel some changes by week 4 before I meet the scale on week 5 and then i can decide to let the scale mean less to me.

Lydia227
01-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Midwife: Your B&W breakdown is spot on. This is exactly how I see the food as well when I look in my pantry and fridge. I do view fruit as a carb source as well. The protein sources look pretty similar to mine too. I would have to say that your diet looks very BFL compatible. :lol:

Honestly though, I don't think this style of eating is just particular to Phillips. When I began searching for the "answer" to my obesity issues I kept stumbling upon the same food recommendations over and over: Look at the macronutrients, eat a balanced complex carb(something that grew from the ground and still resembles it's natural origin) with a protein (in my case something that had a mother.) and healthy fats (my kid's peanut butter jar. Oops :lol3:)

So, I went to two sporting goods stores, GNC, Target, and Walmart to find an Omron. No luck. I don't want another scale so I will have to order it. ~sigh~ I'll just have to take photos and measurements for tomorrow.

sportmom
01-24-2009, 11:12 PM
This may be of interest to some; a Q&A with Bill Phillips:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53880#

and funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaXEKY8XxMs&NR=1

michelle127
01-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I hear you about the scale, but good grief.... I gotta lose some! I can't be a size 10 at 250 pounds - it doesn't make sense!! You skinny chicks may not lose much in scale pounds, but I think I may lose a bit. I think... :kickcan:

Lydia227
01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow Fran there is like a ton of YouTube videos about BFL. I really never thought to consider looking there. Those after photos are amazing. Do you really think that was him? Really. Anyway. Thanks for the motivation.

Michelle: I do weigh myself everyday. It's a personal thing and for me it doesn't make or break my attitude for the day it just keeps me grounded. I've learned to accept the "unexplained" fluctuations and just roll with it. Overall I'm looking for the downward trend.

You will see changes in the scale. No doubt. You'll go up and you'll go down there will be times you will be able to account for it and times when it will be a complete mystery in both directions. The body is adjusting to all the new variables and it's going to get busy on the inside making the new body you are working for.

One of the mental transformations that occurred the first time I did this was to surrender the notion that I was doing this lose weight. I first discovered that after a certain point I actually enjoyed working out. Intentional hard workouts.

I then began to evaluate my lifestyle to see what I could improve to make my workouts even more effective. Things like getting enough sleep, when and what to eat to facilitate the healing of my muscle and connective tissues, and researching the exercises I wanted to progress to as a way of preventing boredom. Soon the focus was upon my workouts and the weight loss became secondary.

After about six or seven months I did lose a considerable amount of weight but what amazed me the most was the nicely developed muscle mass and definition that was visible in the mirror. This was and continues to be a much more satisfying reward for the efforts than anything the scale could have shown me. Just a thought.

maryshady
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Bill's new site is Transformation.com. They have a lot of videos on there of past makeovers. He is running a challenge right now you can join. I think the winner can claim $10, 000. There is also a spiritual component to it with weekly exercises to do.
I have tons of BFL recipes if anyone is interested. I have done a few challenges in the past but only completed 1.

Sportmom-to answer your ? about oatmeal. You have to add a protein because oatmeal is considered a carb. Each meal must contain 1 carb/1 protein (about 20 grams of each) The pancakes I have eaten on BFL where a combo of cottage cheese & egg whites w/ splenda. I don't really think regular pancakes would fit in.

One other tip I learned is to blend your cottage cheese (if your not a cc lover like I wasn't) I bought a hand blender but you could use your regular blender. Blending it up makes it smooth and creamy. I usually eat cc w/splenda & cinnamon with oatmeal.
HTH