Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Brussel Sprouts & Butternut squash

wickky
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
So, we went to Whole Foods last night. I decided to be brave and try 2 new veggies that I have not had before. I picked up a few brussel sprouts and some pre-cut butternut squash.

I have NO IDEA how to cook them? WHat is some of the yummiest ways to fix these veggies? I love to use my oven, but havent a clue in regards to veggies...

Thighs Be Gone
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey, search previous posts. I know someone recently posted about the brussel sprouts. Butternut squash I recently steamed with a little bit of cinnamon and 5 calorie butter on top.

Cheree
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Butternut squash thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161583

kaplods
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I used to hate brussel sprouts and now I LOVE them. I was them. I wash them (often they've been precleaned so I only rinse them). Pat them dry with a paper towel or lintfree cotton towel. Then I quarter them and in a ziploc bag or tupperware container toss with a couple teaspoons of oil. Then I toss in seasonings (my favorite is ranch dressing mix powder). and pour the sprouts into a baking dish or baking sheet. They cook best if they're in a single layer. Then I bake at about 400 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Sooo yummy.

BlueToBlue
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I love brussels sprouts sliced thinly and sauted with some olive oil, onion, garlic, lean ham, and salt and pepper.

Brussels sprouts are also great in soups. I usually quarter them, so that they are bite-size. They really hold their shape and flavor well. I make a great soup with brussels sprouts, onions, a hodge podge of root vegetables, turkey sausage, chicken broth, and rye seeds (and salt and pepper to taste).

Glory87
01-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I want some of Barbara's brussel sprout soup :(

WaterRat
01-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Hi Barbara! :wave: Hmmm, brussel sprouts in soup, there's a good thought! I really like them roasted as Kaplods said, though I just use saltand pepper and the oil. They get really sweet.

Butternut squash is good, but if you can find some other squashes, they're even better. Like hubbard, or delicata :drool: You can use them the same as the butternut.