LA Weight Loss - Losers and Friends - Jan. 19-25th

View Full Version : Losers and Friends - Jan. 19-25th

Dan2112
01-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Starting us off early this week, ladies...

I have to talk about something...
I was shopping at WallyWorld on Sunday, getting the weekly groceries...

As I was loading my cart onto the checkout table, a lady pulled in behind me.

This was a very large lady.. She had a cute little girl in the cart. She also had some other stuff in the cart that really ticked me off. Aside from a bag of shredded lettuce and a small package of ground beef, there was not one non-processed item in the cart. packages of ramen soup, mac and cheese cups, boxed dinners, half a dozen banquet pot pie meals, marshmallows, chips, candies, etc... I almost vomited.

The other thing I did, was come very close to telling her off, especially when her little girl reached for a bag of beef jerky in the checkout line and her mom let her have it... At the same time, I felt sooooo superior to her.. Kind of like: "Ha Ha.. Look at all the good stuff I'm feeding my family"...

And as I walked away, I felt ashamed for the things I thought.. I took the victories I've had in losing weight and held them up over another person..

So my thought for the week is to celebrate your victories, but remember from whence we came.. It wasn't that long ago that is was US that had carts full of processed foods and it was us who stopped at the drive thrus for a quick snack.

I know this isn't a very upbeat way to start the week for me, but I think once in a while we can lose sight of the big picture when we're focused on the final goal.

Heather5
01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Good Morning!!!

Dan-- I completely understand where you are coming from. I feel bad for those people because they probably have never been taught to eat healthy and this will probably get passed on to their kids.

My BF used to be one of those people. He used to eat fried food and have several drinks whenever we went out to eat. Then he would get frustrated because he had a belly. No matter how much I would try to help him make better food choices it didn't help. I had to be careful that I didn't push the issue too much otherwise it would get on his nerves. It wasn't until he made the commitment himself to lose the weight and exercise. Now a little over a year later he is 60 pounds lighter, eats healthy, and exercises everyday! I am so proud of him.

Heather

Heather5
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Has anyone ever done the 21 day boost? I am thinking about doing this the next time I do TO before vacation. What do you guys think?

Below is a post from another thread:

Here are the directions for a 21 Day Boost. I am planning on using the Slim Fast High Protein for the LA Slimdowns, Luna Bars for the Lites and Knudsen + Fibersure for the Fast Forward Juice.

21 day boost

The 21 day boost is the alternating of the Take Off, the use of slim downs and the regular program.
Day 1 and 2- Take Off
Day 3 and 4 Regular Plan
Day 5-9- Replace Slim Down with 1 P, 1 S
Day 10-11- Regular Plan
Day 12-17 Replace Slim DOwn with 1 P, 1 S
Day 18,19- Regular Plan
Day 20, 21- Take Off

Kristinx
01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi Everyone! FIrst weekend on plan and it was a little rough at times. I wasn't POP but I wasn't bad either. Will weigh in tommorrow to see what my loss was for the first full week!

Hoochie
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Dan- You are so right. We need to celebrate our victories. After I have lost almost 15 pounds, I feel so much better about myself. I find that I am definately buying better food at the store.
The last few weeks I have really struggled so my hubby and I have a food binder that we keep in our kitchen and we are going to record everything we eat this week. I am so glad that he is finally going to do this with me.
Have a great week Dan!

4princesses
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Hoochie.. great idea! The food binder idea sounds great!
Kristin.. can't wait to hear.. keep up the good work and stay POPping!
Healther.. never tried it but it sounds 'do'able
Dan, I am a cart snooper too... I ate 'pretty' good before, but even those little changes make a HUGE difference (like eating breakfast and being able to afford decent food...). I wish my parents taught me proper eating when I was young, now I can teach my 4 beautiful girls the RIGHT way to eat and they will be all the better for it.

My #3 princess had surgery this week, then ended up with a fever & uti, then was allergic to 2 different meds they put her on. I have had her in the hospital 4x since thursday. I feel bloated from not enough water, I ate the best I could but it is tough when you have no time to grab something on the way out to the ER.. Hospital food is NOT healthy at ALL!!! Between no sleep and a messed up few days, I decided to go back on TO for the next 2 days. I need to get things back in order. Catch you all later!

Mama Nicole
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, Elizabeth, you poor little princess :( And poor you.......I know how hard it is to have your baby in the hospital to begin with...and then to have all of those complications. I hope she feels better soon :)

Dan.......while I completely hear what you are saying about the lady's cart, I also have to remind you that many people are practically forced to eat in unhealthy ways......they are often limited by income and lack of education. And I have to tell you, as a mom that feeds 6 kids.....beef jerky is a big expense. Of course, I understand she has goodies and candies and such in her cart also.........but it can be such a struggle to feed a family for some, that they kind of give up, and buying some candy is just the norm. I can say from experience that I can feed my family smoked sausage and sour kraut from Walmart for $7.80 (8 people), and I can feed them mac n cheese and weiners for $7,20, and heck, Ramen noodles is a dream for my checkbook. I live in a very diverse area.......just north of me is low income, just west of me is where all the money is, just east of me is the city proper, and just south of me is well off hick ville. Our neighborhood is a pretty good combination of all, with most of us being middle class. I went to the Wally world that some think is bad, you know, cuz it is not all people who are exactly like me on Saturday. I was thrilled because Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce was only $2.50 (for the big bottle). I was visiting with the cashier, and I told her how excited I was that the BBQ sauce ws only $2.50, and she said, "Shhh, don't tell anyone.......it will fly off the shelves." We both laughed a bit, and then I expressed my concern over the high price of groceries.......she then made a very profound statement that addresses this issue. She said, "It is a shame that we now have to decide how we are going to eat because we might not afford the food we want to feed our families." I was blown away. I knew I had made choiced in the past that price dictated, that were not so healthy.....but I grew very sad walking to my car, knowing that many people are in that position each and every time they grocery shop. Anyway.......not coming down on you Dan......cuz we are ALL guilty of judging people's carts (I do it to)......and I love your thought process on the whole ordeal.....I love it when people take the time to think things through, not just follow their first though.........it is just a sad state our country is in. It is sad there is not more awareness.....it is sad that low income and obesity go hand in hand....along with all the health issues it causes. And, it completely blows me away how freeking much it costs to feed a family healthy foods. And I don't buy many packaged foods....I break my own lettuce, peel my own carrots.. cut my own meat...yada yada yada. It's just insane.

Wow, sorry about the speech.......it is funny, I had planned on sharing that story with you guys anyway....I guess I got a bit carried away.........shocker, huh? :lol:

Ok, have to run.........the kids have to day off in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King.......have to get them doing something productive.

Oh, and Jullie.....yeah, believe it or not......they did clean up their mess from valentines. :)
XOXO

BarbaraB
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Dan, I too have judged people by what is in their cart... or even worse my sister for the amount of ice cream they eat and the massive Christmas baking she does... Which when you are clinically morbidly obese and your husband has diabetes, I don't understand how you can justify that. Some people have chosen that junk over their very life, and it is so sad....

Elizabeth, I hope your little princess is doing better. 4 times to the hospital sounds like a nightmare. Sometimes you just have to make the best choices possible and pick back with trying to lose when the dust settles.

Nicole, That ticker appears to be down even more! Low carb definitely agrees with you. I lose well on it too, but I can't keep it up for long, since apparently I'm from the same cloth as my sugar addicted sister...

I had another weekend sticking closely to plan.... it has been a couple in a row and that makes all the difference.

JLem311
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
hey everyone. just thought i'd stop by and say hi. i haven't been feeling too well today. got sick after eating this morning..not sure why, i just don't feel very good. DD didn't have school today so both kids were over at my house for the morning. we played, baked cookies, watched movies and had fun. former dh is working the rest of the afternoon from home, so he picked them up a little bit ago. so now i'm going to rest.

hope everyone had a good weekend. :)

bradleys mom
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone! Back on track this week! Doc has cleared me for low impact exercise starting today, so now its time to get these 9 mysterious lbs off that have added themselves since the surgery! (Changing the ticker..)

Wanted to share a fun pic from today!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/bradleyaaron/011909_1421.jpg

amylou7777
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Happy MLK day friends!

I skipped my walk this morning and got started cleaning this house. We took a day trip to San Francisco on Saturday and I really struggled with food choices. It's so hard when you don't really know where you'll end up etc. I made great lunch choices, but our dinner plans got all mixed up and I kinda blew it out of starvation. But, I'm movin' on. I've been great today, despite the bag of gummie bears DF decided to bring home and leave in the pantry?! That's ok-not that great of a cheat anyway right?

KimR- look at how big that boy is! Wow-I can't believe you guys are playing in snow while it's so warm here. I should be outside in this sun. Don't worry about those mystery lbs-they are totally faking you out-they'll be gone VERY soon! Hang in there!

Elizabeth-really sorry to hear about your daughter. What a nightmare. I really hope she is ok and hope you can get back to a normal life and eating pattern. Hang in there!!

Krisitn-hope you show a loss tomorrow!!

Nicole-omg you are doing awesome! makes me want to go back to low carb! I think I'm really going to watch it this week, since I know my carb intake is exactly what is slowing me down. I hear ya on the grocery thing. We went to wally world yesterday and it was crazily packed. I saw lots of people with frozen meals. I wish I peeled my own carrots and broke my own lettuce...I'm just afraid that would prevent me from eating em! Congrats on your loss girlie!

Dan-I do the exact same thing all the time. It always makes me sad to see people who have obvious health issues buying thigns we all know they shouldn't have. I know from my own experience that people stop caring. They do what is easy and what tastes good. That junk gets addicting and they don't even remember what real food tastes like!

Barbara-are you sill doing flat tummy diet? I hear ya on being of the same cloth as the sugar addicts. It's up to us to end the cycle right?

Hoochie-GL with the food binder! It's always so much easier when the man is on board.

Hi Jillian!

I w/i tomorrow-I'm really nervous that I wont show a loss, or even worse show a gain. Ugh. Eating out is just crazy. Even when I thought I was making pretty good choices, WW did not agree with me.

Ok-back to cleaning! My mom is visiting on Thurs and through the weekend, we're planning on going out for a steak dinner so I am going to be a very good girl until then!

BarbaraB
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Amy, Yeah I'm still doing the flat belly diet. I promised myself that I would stick with it through the 28th. My DH is doing it with me, so that added support really helps me. I don't imagine that I would like to count calories for the rest of my life though. It got me back weighing and measuring, so that is a positive.

I'm doing better at resisting all the food in the office. Our office is just awash in food. The office administrator goes to costco and buys candy for us to have in the lunch room. so there is a constant supply of candy there. Always something new... little dove bars, or hershey kisses, little dark chocolate bars, or red vines or lately it has been chocolate covered raisens... Then they start baking the fresh baked bread in the bread maker... nothing like fresh from the oven bread baking just a few feet outside of your office. I just have to not let myself have any of this, since as soon as I allowed myself a little, I was eating it all the time, and now I need to relose some weight. Between that and weekend indulgences, well it is so easy to let some pounds slip on and then a couple of more...

almsthere
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey, everyone! I am kinda back. I got the okay to begin dieting around 12 weeks...i took the last few weeks to get myself psyched up to return back to weighing and measuring and planning healthy! The biggest obstacle for me is getting all of my servings in and honestly, I am kinda tempted not to even try too hard. But then, I think about how much better I feel, much more energy I have and I can't believe I hadn't done it sooner, etc. etc. My second big obstacle is obssessing about the scale. I think I need to pick one weigh in day and that is it! So maybe then I won't be so moody when the scale moves up instead of down. :devil:

My kids were home today too but luckily the two older ones were invited for a last minute playdate during the little ones nap time and DH was home. The playmate lives on the next street over. So, I got to take a NAP for 1.5 hours with no interruption! Even the baby slept!!! It was wonderful! :carrot: So, I was in a little better place when I had to go and pick them up in the snow!!!

Everyone's tickers are looking great! I can't wait to get out of the 160s...sadly I have gained about 10lb postpartum already and I'd like it to leave me at once!!

Have a great week...and stay POP!

Joni135
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Dan (and Nicole) - thanks for starting us off on such an interesting note...bottom line is we just cannot be too quick to judge...but I must say, your description of that lady's cart does amaze me. I think I'd be embarrassed to shop like that. I usually take pride when my grocery cart is filled with good stuff and if/when I'm shopping for "party food" or "office gathering" stuff, I typically find myself justifying my bad purchases by telling the check out clerk why I'm buying junk....how silly is that? I think a great reality show (nutrition based) would be to ambush shoppers with a bunch of junk in their cart and teach them the right way to shop...sort of like "What Not to Wear" tv show.

Oh well....hope everyone has a good week. I reluctantly went and did a 45 minute spin class tonight and felt so good afterwards!

My gym (a Gold's Gym) does a lot of promos on Monday nights and I wound up talking to someone and I'm going to host a "Cash for gold party" at my house next month.....I have quite a bit of "junk" gold jewelry that I haven't worn in years so it will be nice get a few bucks for it without having to wander around town looking for the most honest jeweler. I'm typically very suspicious and cautious about stuff like this, but after talking with the owner of the business (an older lady) and the two guys who test the jewelry, remove stones, etc., I'm fine with doing this. For hosting the party, I can get 10% of the receipts or I can donate the 10% to a charity of my choice. Considering I had a busted water pipe this weekend and had to pay $500 for the repair and another $1,000 towards my insurance deductible, I may have to make me the main charity this time around!

okay...way past my bedtime.

Kristinx
01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Well today was a weigh in day. One week ago I started the program. And of course...I literally GAINED like a pound and a half since yesterday! Probably my body knew it was weigh in day...lol. J/K But it is pretty discouraging....someone please tell me this is normal for the first week? I know my body is still adjusting to the diet changes..it's juist hard to see a gain. In the end though..I am DOWN 3 lbs since a week ago when I started and that is decent. Past history has shown that I rarely see a result in week one..then I see a bigger loss in week 2...but man I am frustrated!!:(

JLem311
01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
good morning everyone. i'm feeling better today, very tired and my toe is hurting sooooo badly today. it feels as if it'll never heal! i know it's because i'm always on it and don't rest it nearly enough, but it's hard to rest when you've got a 5yr old and 3yr old.

so yeah. not much else going on with me. my parents and one of my brothers and his gf are coming to visit this weekend (for a late xmas) so that'll be nice and hectic too. it should be a good time though, since my parents haven't seen the kids since the beginning of november. :)

ok. hope everyone has a good day. :)

Dan2112
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Kristin.. Absolutely!! Most people see some bounce back and fluctuation for a couple of weeks..

What's happening is that your body is rebelling (adjusting) to the fact that you've told it that you will no longer be feeding it the junk it craves, but only the foods it needs to be healthy.. Comprare that to serving your kids vegetables and their pouty reaction..

So now your body is trying to hold on to what ever calories you're ingesting and making up the difference in water.. This is why it's SO crucial to stay POP early on.. In a few months, slight deviations here and there won't be that disasterous, but right now, any backsliding will work against you.

Keep it up!!! You can do it!!

Kristinx
01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
That's good to hear Dan. Thanks! I REALLY want this plan to work because as for the plan itself I am really liking it. I feel pretty satisfied with what I am eating...I am rarely hungry..well hungry every couple hours but I am eating like every couple hours to get everything in anyway! Though there are temptations of course...they aren't as tempting as they have been in the past because my body is satisfied..the cravings just aren't as strong.
I will admit I did not have a POP weekend though...I had some wine and my bf made the family famous chicken wings....I had 2 but that was all I needed. I guess I need to work on being POP everyday! Will be challenging this weekend as I am away but I will prepare beforehand :)

Dan2112
01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Kristin..

It also helps, after a weekend of indulging, to make sure you get in all your water and to eat very light for the next couple of days. Be sure to get all your portions in, of course, but stick to lean proteins and light starches.. It goes without saying that you need to stay away from processed foods as much as possible.

Speaking of processed foods, have any of you ever tried "Soy Cheese".. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it, but I picked it up near the tofu stuff at walmart.. It's very low in fat, high in protein and so I picked some up.. I melted a slice into my egg beaters this morning and it wasn't bad... Just wondering if any of you use this regularly and what your thoughts were...

Kristinx
01-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I usually count one starch as approximately 100 calories, but honestly I have a lot of trouble getting that 4th starch in. I hate to eat it late at night. After dinner I am usually trying to get in my last fruit serving.
The day after drinking I drank 4 Liters (128 ox) of water and switched up a starch for an extra protein instead. I think I'm doing okay so I'll keep plugging along... :)
Soy cheese...I have never seen it. We have something here called Veggie cheese, but I've always been afraid to buy it...lol I am a recovering cheese-a-holic, but I have found a lite cheese that is only 60 calories, 3 grams of fat per slice. And a slice weighs about 0.85 oz.

luv2clog
01-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Kristinx - I know how you feel. I started LAWL 2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 2.5 lbs. The second week only 1/2 a pound. I like to see a little quicker results in the beginning than this to motivate me. Since I paid my money for this program I am sticking it out. I just hope this works for me. Good luck!

Hoochie
01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Well Yesterday was a great day. I ate so healthy and I felt so good this morning when I woke up. YA know the feeling when you are laying in bed when you wake up and your belly feels flatter. I love that feeling!!!! It's after you get up and you realize its still all there.....haha It must have been Dan's message yesterday. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner and I kept looking at what I had in my basket!!! very funny. Thanks Dan!!
By the way Dan, I like the new picture,,,thats a victory!!!

Elizabeth- How's your girl? It must be tough having surgery at such a young age. I hope she is okay. Please let us know!

Barb- Good for you for sticking to the plan! It really makes you want to keep going when you see the results!

Jillian- Hope you get feeling better! It looks like it will be nice to have your parents come visit. You maybe need someone to help you out for a few days and Mom's are so good at that!

Amy- We all have our moments of cheating here and there so don't feel too bad. I have to say that my weakness is chocolate. Gummy bears are a better cheat though, less calories!!! Enjoy dinner with your Mom this week!

Okay well I am on my way to get a latte...nonfat of course!

erin1369
01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am way off track. I have been out of control lately. I adjusted my ticker to where I "think" I have balooned to. Pretty sad I was 148 in November. I renewed 6 weeks at LAWL but have not been able to face the scale or the girls there. So I went in a and paid on Friday and picked up bars. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and go WI after work. It may be what I need to get back on the wagon. I go to see my new therapist next Monday, she seems really nice on the phone. I was going to put the weight loss on hold but I can see I have used that as an excuse to lose control so here I am. I wish I hadn't because now I feel like a HUGE failure. Today is day 1 again.

That's great Hoochie! It is a great feeling to know you made good choices and feel smaller :)

Thinking of your little girl Elizabeth, hope she is doing well.

Barbara - is it a book the flat belly diet? I have never had one....a flat belly that is!

Jillian I am glad you are feeling better, even if it's only a littel bit.

KristinX - keep plugging away and you will figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Some weeks will be huge losses and others huge dissapointment. It is a journey.

Dan I have never heard of soy cheese. Did it melt like cheese or was it plasticy like process cheese slices?

To everyone else I missed have a great day :)

Kristinx
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I forgot to mention the coolest thing! Yesterday I ordered Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum for the Wii! I have the Wii Fit but don't find it to be much of a workout so I thought this would be good for these cold winter days I don't get outside much. You can set workouts for 10-60 minutes, choose weight loss exercises or strengthening. I wonder if Jillian as a Wii trainer will be as scary as she is on the Biggest Loser? Probably not as many F bombs haha. Anyway, looking forward to it's arrival in the mail. Anyone else ever seen this game?

BarbaraB
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Kristin, 3 pounds the first week is a great start. You are going to see weight fluctations as you lose. You'll have great victorious weigh ins, and ones where you will be greatly frustrated. That is just the process. You want to do this the healthy way, and that is not losing too fast, so you are right on track to a lifetime of better health. 3 pounds of fat is over 10,000 calories, so don't be thinking it is nothing at all... It takes a real effort to see that level of fat gone from your body, and you want to be losing the fat and not the muscles, and a sign that it is mostly fat, is that it comes off rather slow. OK not if you are on the biggest loser and work out 8 hours a day though... I just imagine not many of us go that route.

Erin, Sweetheart, don't be so harsh on yourself. Flat is a relative term as far as bellies go. I've been working on self acceptance of the body that the good Lord gave me. He unfortunately failed to make me look like Kate Moss. I would have liked that, but it was not to be, instead I am tasked with needing to find a way to love and accept a body that the media would always say is way too big.... But their yardstick is skewed. And we are all poisoned by the pictures of young women that are unnaturally thin to the point where if we see a normal healthy female body we react as if that is an unattractive thing. So we hate ourselves for being normal.. and we strive for the unattainable, and when it can't be obtained, we eat way too much, and start another cycle of self loathing. At least that is what I spent years doing... but I find accepting my body as it is, and trying to be kind to it, and find ways to see that it is a miraculous beautiful (even if big) thing is OK. But the first thing is to let go of that image of a perfectly skinny you... and focus on just a relatively healthy you.

Joni135
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
BarbaraB - you have the best responses..always a good read.

KristinX - I've heard of Jillian's Wii game, but until I get my hands on a WiiFit, I'll have to live vicariously off your assessment!

I always seem to want a 2lb loss each week (rarely happens). The other day I read that the right amount of weight to lose is 1% of your current weight...so if I weighed 150, I should be losing 1.5, etc. Makes sense.

I picked up some Lean Cuisine fish entrees and finally ate them. They really are quite good. I know it's healthier to eat fresh fish but I hate hate hate salmon (except for smoked salmon!), and just don't like to cook fish and get pretty tired of tunafish more than once a week.

Jillian - do you keep your toe/foot bandaged up or anything? Sorry it's still hurting so much.

My BF from Chicago just booked us airline tix (she used her miles) and we're going to Italy and Vienna in May! I feel so blessed to get to spend this time with her. I've tried to get DH to get his passport and go to Italy with me for the last five years....his time ran out and her offer came first! I've never been and now have even more incentive to get healthy!

Heather5
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone!

I am just checking in for the day! I have a ton of work to do, so I can get the kids ready for midterms next week and the state ELA tests this week! Hope everyone had a good day! Talk to you tomorrow!

Heather

JerseyMadchen
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey guys!

Hope everyone is doing well. I started classes today, I am taking 6 this semester: Globalization/Change, Management Science, Organizational Behavior, Management Info. Systems, World Masterpieces, and Review Writing. I have 4 of them, the worst ones, on Tuesdays and Thursdays so today has been a long day. And it’s not over yet. I have a 3 hours rehearsal tonight for a show I am playing which I have yet to sit down at the piano and practice for. The good thing is I have been really good toay with food. Well, except breakfast. Since I was used to sleeping in, I woke up late this morning and was just thrown off. I was nervous about being late and having to park in Camden (BAD BAD!!!) and was sick to my stomach so I didn’t eat any! I know, bad, bad, bad!!!! Am munching on 94% FF Popcorn and coffee now!

Dan- I understand too. I catch myself doing that when my husband eats around me.. adding more cheese, SALT, or ketchup. The salt is the worst.

Nicole-Your ticker is constantly moving!! CONGRATS!!! Keep it up chickie!

Kristinx- I understand your frustration. I weighed in yesterday after my first week on WW, and didn’t lose anything, but gained 1.8 lbs. UGH! I am thinking we’re going to have a great week 2. Don’t get discouraged! I also have Jillian for Wii Fit! I am actually going to do it tonight when I get home! I cannot wait! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Amylou- at least those gummy bears weren’t Hersheys chocolate…it can always be worse!

Jillian- I am sure it’s the severe cold that is slowing the healing process of your foot! Enjoy the visit from fam!!

Hello to everyone else! Off to High School Musical TORTURE. Yeah, the kids at this high school cannot sing worth a d*mn.

Kimphin
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi guys - I am currently sitting in my masters class - Public School Accounting. I could teach it, so I'm bored to death. Luckily the class is a distance learning class, so the prof is not here, just on the TV screen, and I have a handy-dandy computer in front of me! Woo hoo!

I lost a little over a pound last week. I figure that is on par, considering that I could not work out at all, as a matter of fact, I could barely walk! LOL. So, I'll keep on keepin on.

I haven't looked at anyone's cart in the grocery store, I usually just want to get it over and done with. I am very thankful that when eating healthy, grocery shopping is mostly around the perimeters, since the aisles can be crazy! (I really hate the market! can you tell?)

I am very much bummed about not working out. The chiropractor more or less forbid it for at least a week more... ugh. Just when you get into a routine... BAM! At this point I am hoping that I will be able to golf in Jamaica in three weeks. Right now... no way.

OK - gotta pay attention and participate in class - that's 10% of the grade!

BarbaraB
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Kim, With hardly being able to move, 1 pound down is doing good. I tend to feed the cold and the fever and the back ache... I'm too quick with the comfort food, and I've finally been able to admit that cookies do not cure anything, surprisingly not even the craving for cookies!

Amy from Jersey, Good luck in all your classes. My DD is still taking accounting, but you still have a lot of the same classes. She thought organizational behavior was very interesting, as she took that last term.
She is half way through her junior year, so I'm hearing a lot of whining about the horrors of financial accounting right now. I work for a company that does HR consulting, so we deal with a lot of HR managers and specialists... It seems like a good job to have. Of course I mostly just write the software in ways that sometimes even does what they asked for...

Kristinx
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
ARG! So mad at TBL.....That is all

zambejaly5
01-20-2009, 11:40 PM
ARG! So mad at TBL.....That is all
I quit watching two weeks ago. I think it is losing its punch.

JerseyMadchen
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree!!! WTF!!?!?!?!

I just like it for motivation. The best part is the end seeing how much they lost when they went home.

I am really sick of the drama too...

amylou7777
01-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I have to agree, I've been kind of bored this season. But I'm still watching, and I snuck in a mini workout while I was watching!

Is anyone watching the bachelor?! I haven't watched that show in years, but wow this season is exciting!

I had a great day today! Got a lot of errands done and ate very nutritiously!

Joni-that is fabulous news! What a great motivation for you. You are going to have the best time with bf!!

AmyNj-how is WW going? I see a three lb loss!!! Way to go! Your schedule sounds crazy, but believe me it can be done even with crazy school. I stuck to a routine with food, it was boring but I always had a steady loss. Keeping a cooler in my car was key!

Hi Kim! Hope you get the A-OK to work out soon. Does it feel weird to miss working out? That is a huge sign that you are now addicted to exercise!

Hi Heather5!

Erin-GL this week. I hope your therapist can help you break through this. Hang in there girl!

Hi Barbara!

Bed time for me. Can you believe it's already wednesday?! My mom gets here thurs night. I'm excited but know it will pose some food challenges. I want a huge loss this week, so I'm going to stay focused!!

Kristinx
01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
I've been watching The Bachelor this season! I don't always watch it but I figured it would be good this year...it's so funny cause usually they have some rich guy and before commercial they will be like "up next...whose dream of marrying an officer and a gentleman will be crushed?" Now it's, "whose dream of marrying single dad Jason will come true." Like that is every girl's fantasy...marrying a single dad. Not saying that is bad...**** I'll be marrying a single Dad but you know...not the typical little girls dream. I didn't like when Jason compared his single Dad status to Stephanie's single Mom status...he got divorced..has joint custody...her husband DIED when her baby was 10 weeks old. Totally different. Anyway..I hope the teasers of Deanna coming back are good...have a feeling maybe she's just coming back to give him some advice. Who knows. Enough about tv...

Diet wise...POP so far this week...and most of that 1.5 lb gain came off by today so here's to losing a couple pounds before Friday's weigh in!

Mama Nicole
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
good morning everyone :)

Good luck, Amylou, you know with company and food. You can do well. Practice makes perfect. Speaking of practice......how is work going?

I have a boring weekend of nothing going on....and I am quite thrilled about it.

I have to plant my seedlings today.......please oh please let me make time for it. I want delicious tomatos as soon as possible :)

I have done good with the kids and school this week. Last week was horrible. DH is in Indiana right now......he left Tues. morning and will be back late tonight. I hate hate hate his traveling, but it is much easier now that youngest DS is 4. and that boy was such a pain in the butt yesterday while I was trying to watch the Innauguration. Oh well.....today will be a better day, I am srue.

JIllian.....sure hope your toe gets better soon.

I don't watch TBL or the Bachelor (DH already puts up wtih a lot of girlie shows.....) but I do love me some American Idol. Anyone watching this year? I may have an early predicition already........

Ok, have to get to work here.......I will check back later :)
Have a great day, everyone :)
XOXO
P.S. Katie.....get that man of yours a job......we miss you :)

Dan2112
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Ok.. so Liz and I watched TBL last night.. I've never really watched this show, but have caught snippets from time to time...

What really aggrivates me is the disappointment (DISAPPOINTMENT??!!??!!) of the contestants when they only show a 4 or 6 lbs. loss... WTF??!!??!!

Most of us would kill for that kind of result.. I know Liz was really mad at the reactions. She's had such a yo-yo struggle...

What a dumb show...

Dan2112
01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh.. Erin.. I forgot to mention...

The cheese seemed to melt pretty well, and didn't taste awful.. The real test is when I put it in a sandwich or on a turkey burger.. I'll keep ya posted!

Mama Nicole
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Dan.....you crack me up......is snippets a word, or do you just make them up randomly?
:lol:

Repo girl
01-21-2009, 10:01 AM
My daycare kids were really naughty during the inaugeration too. Must be a kid thing. My own kids were really disappointed that they missed it since they were are school. I had to promise to find it online for them today. I have been more political than usual this time around, and it really shows in my kids. We ate at Wingers last night, and my 9 y/o son had an adult converstation with our waiter about politics. It was so great. Oh, and planting seedlings today? Oh, I wish I was.....I have cabin fever so bad right now! It is way too soon for seedlings here. You can't put anything in the ground until after Memorial Day, or it will freeze. Tomato trees though, could go in gallon pots in the house, couldn't they? I paid $40 dollars last June at the Farmers Market for a huge tomato tree that already had red tomatoes on it. Wonder how soon I would need to start those?

Mary- That is really sad about DH's uncle. How are things going?

Kristinx
01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh yes, congratulations Americans on your new president! Interesting enough, you wouldn't believe how many people in Canada were glued to their tvs for the inaugeration. Not that that is a bad thing but I wish they would pay half as much attention to their own politics in their own country!
Our government could possibly fall this month! (again) but no one seems to be too concerned with that...

jewljz
01-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I watched TBL last night and the part that made me really mad was the temptation... that's just cruel, did you see Mandy's look of disgust as she was eating that slice of pizza? I felt like I wanted to vomit for her! Speaking of vomit, is whatshername (the former model) the same one that vomited on the treadmill on the first show? I hear "model" and see vomit and think that she can perform this on demand...

Anyway, I was actually hoping that Joelle would not go this week - if she goes home she will not get better, she won't lose weight and she will be a lost cause. I feel the same about Dan (not you Dan! Dan on the show), I don't feel that they've gained the level of motivation needed to make a life change and I feel like they both need to be there... I hated the ending where they showed the previews for next week and pretty much told us who was up for elimination next week - the two 19 year old boys!

Anyway - enough ticker denial for me, I need to change it - I've gained 1lb that is not going away. I usually have this problem when I start to work out, but I am going to still push forward with the exercise. Today's challenge - I was invited to a birthday dinner at Olive Garden - I already accepted the invitation, now can I be good? Luckily I have to go straight from there to pick up the kids so I will not be having a drink (save myself some calories there!). wish me luck - going to look at the menu now!

Mama Nicole
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Katie....my kids were and are all political right now too. They have a great environment for discussion........as DH and I have comlete opposite political veiws.............well, not complete.....but he supports one party, and I support the other. It has really helped them realize that you can have completely differnt views, and still respect someone elses views. It is good stuff.

Kristen...........thanks, we are pretty excited around here :) I hope things start to look up for your's soon :)
XOXO

Dan2112
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
:D:D
Snippet:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snippet

Mama Nicole
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
:D:D
Snippet:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snippet

lol......i love me a word nerd :)

BarbaraB
01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Julie, I always retain a bit of water for a time after I up my exercise. Frustrating since working out is supposed to make you lose weigh, and I normally gain for a week or so.

Dan, I think some of those TBL people were likely eating a huge number of calories per day before they came to the ranch, so for them those numbers are possible. I've seen other documentaries on people who are over 400 pounds and often they will be consuming 6000 calories a day to maintain that weight. So if you have someone like that, cutting down to diet portions and getting 4-8 hours of exercise a day is going to be making those huge sorts of numbers. Also I've seen that they have those arm bands on that calculate the number of calories that they burned each day. If you had been adding them all up, you'd expect to see the difference on the scale, and when it didn't show up, You'd likely be disappointed.

I don't recall an inauguration that so many people stopped and watched, or stayed home from work to see. In the almost 14 years that I've worked here, we've only gathered in the conference room to watch the TV a few times. I do recall that we did on 9-11. I recall that we did after we had an earthquake here for a time turn on the TV to figure out what that was(not for long though). And we gathered in the conference room to watch the inauguration.

OK, I've gotten into the countdown mode on the flat belly diet... 1 more week. I've already grown tired of the calorie counting and the always having to figure out some source of good fats 4 times a day. I'm ready to go back to my beloved tried and true Blue plan.

Hoochie
01-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Okay so this is off topic but I need your help. My daughter has asked me if she can have her ear pierced for her 14th birthday.
Is she too young or is this normal for her age. I think I may be aging, I just don't know how I feel. My husband thinks its okay.
What's your vote?

jewljz
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Hoochie - we did it when my daughter was months old - my parents made me wait until I asked for it at age 12 and I remember it being one of the scariest moments of my life! Hurt like a mutha! let her do it for pete's sake!

Kimphin
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
My parents made me wait until I was in 7th grade, so I was 12 (this was back in the dark ages too, I'm sure technologies have advanced, LOL) and I was fine.

Of course, then I went off at the age of 14 and had a second hole put in, totally not parentally authorized, and about 2 weeks before my sister's wedding. The parents were not amused. (In the dark ages, two earrnings were scandalous - check Wikipedia, I'm sure it says something about that there)

Hoochie
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Oops I meant her nose pierced not her ear!!!!

She had her ears pierced long ago...see I am getting old!!!

Kimphin
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh, I have no humorous anecdotes about that.

Well, I can say that at our HS there are a lot of girls that have it. I'm assuming she's in HS?

BarbaraB
01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Kim, I too was raised in the dark ages of 2 holes being pretty darned racy

Hoochie, I don't know, a lot of kids do the nose thing, but I know what you mean. My DH freaked out about piercings. As my DD wanted a "monroe" which is basically an above your lip piercing where Marilyn Monroe had a beauty mark... and my DH just told her that would save us a LOT of money on college tuition... He is not known for having the openest of minds... She was about 18 when she was hot for that, but she hasn't done it. I don't know what health risks there are with nose piercings, and one my DD good girl friends got one when she was about 16, and it was really rather tasteful. Better to get a nose pierced than to do that freaky stretching out of their ear lobes. I find that look troubling.

Repo girl
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Hmmm, I have a few friends who have a nose piercing, and I actually like it. Don't think I would ever get it, but a really tiny diamond looks cute on them. The rings, however, look yucky to me. In fact, one of my friends let her 14 year old get one over the summer. She wears a tiny pink rhinestone in it, and it is cute.

Hoochie
01-21-2009, 04:51 PM
She doesn't want the ring, she wants a small rhinestone or whatever they are. At least I think thats what she wants. I am more scared of when my son comes home wanting a tattoo. I know my time is coming!!! Decisions!!!
I added her picture to my profile. This was on our cruise!

cecil
01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok. So I got my eyebrow piered when I was 10th grade. So I was probably 15 or 16. Then my tongue the next year. But I still feel like 14 is a little young. Even though my parents let em do it, I don't know that I would let my child. HA! Good luck!

JLem311
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Oops I meant her nose pierced not her ear!!!!

She had her ears pierced long ago...see I am getting old!!!

well, coming from a person who had 7 piercings..6 of which were in my face, i would let my daughter do it if she asked me at age 14. i started getting all my piercings around 14yrs old (against my parents wishes!) but since she's asking, i'd say yes. (ps..i took all my piercings out when i was about 19yrs old.)
but i'm also a product of 2 hippy harley riding parents who let me get my first tattoo at 13yrs old and then getting them as bday presents years after that....so you'd wonder why they'd be against piercings and not tattoos. ;)

anyways..that's my 2cents. but again, i'm not the norm either. sad to say my former DH strongly disapproves of my views on piercings and tattoos when our children get old enough to want them...so guess who they're gonna come to? yep, their tattooed mother! ha.

Dan2112
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Call me old fashioned but I probably wouldn't let her do it. That being said, my daughter (11) has no desire to get her ears pierced so my perspective is different. At first blush, 14 seems pretty young for it, but as long as she's not going to get a big bone through her nose or even one of those door knocked things it might not be that bad.

I waited until college for both an earring and a ratio and still caught he'll for it at home.

Sorry I'm no help... :D

BarbaraB
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Hoochie, At 14 my DD had blue hair. She really wanted it, and it was not any sort of a permanent thing, so sure I let her do that. The next year she wanted to strech her ear lobes out with spacers, I said no way. The spacer thing leaves permanent changes the blue hair is transient. So the piercings are kind of inbetween those. You can take them out and you return pretty close to where you were. Of course if you didn't feel that she would responsibly take care of a piercing, then the answer is just immediately no.
I might put it off for a year though... tell she can do it at 15. I do believe I negotiated the blue hair in exchange for no belly button piercing....

Mama Nicole
01-21-2009, 07:24 PM
ok, Hoochie......when I was in school, I had a Nursing Diversity class, and we talked a lot about body piercing. For the record.....I once had three holes in each ear (what a wild thing, huh), and all three of my girls have their ears pierced once.....but I was blown away about the medical risks that I later learned in this class. I found these links to give your DD (and you) some further info. And......I would probably tell my child no, but Jillian has a great point...at least she is asking you.......and you can help her find a safe place to do it if you decide to let her. These kids do feel the need to express themselves.......they struggle so much trying to figure out who they are. Also, you could tell her you need more time to think it over and to ask you again in a month........teens are so fickle, she may change her mind by then. Also.....I, too, think a tiny rhinestone is kinda cute........so I am pretty much completely conflicted over this matter. I guess my only legitimate concern is medical risk......so here ya go:
http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/body-piercing.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/piercings/SN00049
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/291/8/1024
Good luck with your decision...and keep talking to this girl. She clearly values your opinion and your approval :)
XOXO
P.S. She is beautiful, just like her mama ;)

bradleys mom
01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Hoochie - If it were my daughter, I would say HECK NO! I like Nicole have a "Nursing" point of view since I am a nursing student... But I think the risks far outweigh the benefit of it looking cute. I also speak from experience. I had my cartilage pierced on my ear and it got majorly infected and swollen and now I have a funky indentation on my ear from it. I also got my tongue pierced in 2004. It too got infected and now I have a funky looking growth on the underside of my tongue. Now I realize the part of the nose your daughter wants to pierce is skin much like the earlobe, but if she was to get an infection, it could do some damage, maybe even permanent damage to her pretty little nose. I would make her wait until she is 18, then if she does it, its her own deal. My parents made me wait until I was 18 and out of the house before I could even get my ears pierced. Thus the reason I went buck wild with the piercings! lol My mom saw my tongue ring at my wedding and I took it out and never put it back in! I was so afraid she would tell my dad! LOL. (By the way, I am a PK)

Hoochie
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Wow what a response! Now I am more confused.
Thanks Katie, Cecilia, Jillian, Dan, Barb, Nicole and Kimberly!

I totally see both sides. I am really worried about infection and yet so many people do it. I have a little time to decide. I am going to read up on those articles you sent me Nicole. Thanks for doing that!
Just maybe I can put her off another year...hmmmm
Okay gotta run....going to pick my DD from dance!!

amylou7777
01-21-2009, 11:20 PM
OK-I have no real words of advice on the nose thing. I have a couple cousins who have it -one with just the nose and one with nose and tats and all kinds of good stuff. I'm not a mom yet, so it's hard to relate. But I do have to say that you are one hot mama! You and DD are very beautiful. Were you 130 in that pic bc you look skinny lady!!

Nicole-work is good! I have kind of a oddly amazing job. It's one of those jobs you just have to kind of know about. Good $ and not a lot of stress! Right up my alley. I've been easing into it-so I have lots of free time on my hands. I'm not complaining-just getting used to this new chapter! I still have a lot to learn, and am not as busy yet as I will be eventually, but it has been a very nice month so far!

Oh goodness I can't remember the rest of my personals.

I have been really good with food this week. I'm being extremely conscious of the carbs I eat and I'm already feeling better. We'll see if the scale agrees with me.

Has anyone heard from our old pals like Liza, Michie, Felicia, Brittany? Just wondering bc I was gone for a while there. Miss them! If you are lurking-let us know how you are!

Kristinx
01-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey everyone! Just wondering...how often do you all weigh yourself? I've been doing it everyday and it's driving me crazy! One day I lose over a lb in a day...others nothing and some days I gain over a lb a day! Maybe these fluctuations are normal in the beginning or maybe they will continue? I'm beginning to think I need to hide my scale away and just weigh in once a week

Repo girl
01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Kristin- I don't think that it is helpful to weigh everyday, since your body will have normal fluctuations. I am a fan of weighing twice a week.

Mama Nicole
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey ladies, and Dan :)

So, I HAVE to grocery shop today. It is going to be quite difficult for me to stay OP if I don't. I just don't want to give them anmore of our money this month.........

I cannot beleive tomorrow if Friday already. Wow, time flies. I WI tomorrow, but I am kinda nervous. I didn't get all my water in yesterday, and ate a coule of piecces of low carb bread......and for some reason, that never does me much good with the numbers. I sooo want to see a loss three weeks in a row......and officially, Monday would be the determinant.....but I have been seeing the loss of Friday's a lot.......so cross your fingers......I just want one more week of loss........and then I think I can deal with a plateau ( I have to look that word up for spelling EVERY TIME!!!!).

Have a good one everyone......and hang in there ;)
xoxo

chiquita623
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey Everyone. Just popping to say Hi. Not much new with me. Still plugging along - slowly but surely I'll get to where it is I'm going. Now I just need to stay focused on the end result and not lose sight of it.

Kristen - I weigh twice a week. On Mondays to see how bad I did over the weekend and on Thursdays to keep me focused over the weekend in an attempt to make better choices.

Nicole - I hate, hate, hate to go to the grocery store. I put it off as long as possible and then grumble because it takes me twice as long to get done! It's a vicious circle.

Amylou - Congrats on liking your job. That is so important.

Hoochie - I have no advice on the nose ring. My DD wanted a belly button ring when she was 16 and I refused to allow it so the day she turned 18 she went out and got one. Ended up getting infected and she had to let it close up. Now she says it was a really dumb thing to do as her belly button is kind of gross looking now.

I'll try to hop back on later. Be good to yourselves!!

Mama Nicole
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Laurie.......I guess you, Kim, and I should start an, "I hate to grocery shop," group on FB.......:lol: Good to see you.......did all your snow melt yet?

JLem311
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
good morning everyone. not much to report here with me, but i thought i'd stop by and say hi. i can't wait for this day to be over with already. i'm super exhausted. i just want to rest. but it doesn't look as if that will be happening anytime soon. maybe sunday..gosh i hope so. i'm so worn out i just feel like a zombie most days.

hope everyone else has a good day/weekend.

chiquita623
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
We still have quite a bit on the ground but it's supposed to get up to 42 today. That's almost like a heat wave around here!! Do you have much down there?

Kimphin
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Laurie.......I guess you, Kim, and I should start an, "I hate to grocery shop," group on FB.......:lol: Good to see you.......did all your snow melt yet?

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! I did the hated deed last night. I had to, as DH was accusing me of trying to kill him. His food choices had gotten down to condiments, salad dressing and canned soup.

Back feels a little better, knock on wood. I am still babying it, and won't go to the gym until next week - probably Wednesday, since I have committments on M & T.

Kristin - I have a tendency to be a scale-aholic (or sclae-aholic - old joke). I try, try, try very hard to only weigh 2x a week. The day-to day thing makes me crazy and depressed.

Joan - DD is a beauty! You two look a lot alike. Good luck with your decision.

Amy - I agree - there are a lot of old-timers that I miss. If any of you are lurking, pop in and say hi! I hope all of your hard work this week pays off on the scale.

I too cannot believe that it is Thursday again. Time flies as you get older, I guess.

chiquita623
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Are you all on FB? I just got on there. My kids never sent me any pics of the grandkids so they said I need to get on FB as they post the pics on there. I'm still not too sure how to navigate it but I'm trying!!

Kim - add me to the Old Timer's group!!

zambejaly5
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Wow what a response! Now I am more confused.
Thanks Katie, Cecilia, Jillian, Dan, Barb, Nicole and Kimberly!

I totally see both sides. I am really worried about infection and yet so many people do it. I have a little time to decide. I am going to read up on those articles you sent me Nicole. Thanks for doing that!
Just maybe I can put her off another year...hmmmm
Okay gotta run....going to pick my DD from dance!!

As far as the "well at least she asked" thought. that would not fly around her..... how about "well at least she asked before she did drugs..." Well at least she asked before she had unprotected sex..." hmmmm .

ok... off soap box

Hoochie.... I got 5. my policy is do what ever you want to express yourself as long as it is nothing permanent. no holes, no tats.. etc. make the hair green, orange, blue, wear strange clothes, do your make up anyway you want, but nothing permanent. When the kids turn 18 are responsible for themselves, pay for their own way, carry their own insurance, they can do what every they want. that still leaves ...... what...... 60 years give or take that they can do as they please. once they are being responsible for themselves their perspective on what is cool or not cool might change, might not. but it is theirs to deal with at that point. My two oldest are 18 and 16. And especially in the 18 year old, I see him becoming a man, taking responsibility and making more sound decisions. None of my kids even have their ears pierced. They can do that later if they want. That is not to say that don't express themselves! they do. but what every silly things they do to be wild in HS. is not going to follow them after.

But I have no idea what your household is like, standard, morals, beliefs. Are you hesitant because you don't really want to look at it on your pretty daughter? or is it more of a health issue? or what? looking at those things can help you decide if your answer should just be no, or if you are the one that just needs more info on it so you feel comfortable with it.

Kristinx
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Funny story...my stepson wanted his ear pierced and his mother took him to do it....he's 9...yeah 9 and told them what ear he wanted it in..completely unaware of the whole socially accepted idea that one of your ears pierced (I forget left or right) means you're gay...so now he wonders why kids are calling him gay...he just wanted to be cool...
Anyway...I had quite a few piercings myself...one in a quite questionable area...but they were all ways to express myself at the time...they all came out eventually and left minor scars...I find 14 a little young....but then kids are doing everything younger now

dawn78
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Joan – My first reaction was, I’d probably let her do it before she goes behind your back and does it herself and my opinion is “it’s just a piecing, it can always be removed” but then I looked at her picture and realized just how “young” 14 is. I’m not sure if I would let her do that at 14. Quite honestly she doesn’t look like she’s turning 14, she’s a very pretty girl but she looks so young and I just can’t picture such a young girl with her nose pieced. Maybe when she’s 16? As I’m typing this all out I’m thinking about what I would have done at 14 and I’m pretty sure if my parents said no, I would have gone behind their back at did it anyway. Actually my friends and I did, never our nose but other odd places and we did it on ourselves so it was never professional or sanitary. Scary…14 and 15 really tested my relationship with my parents!

Mama Nicole
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
what a very interesting topic you brought up, Joan :)

So, my personal veiws aside........at the end of the day...if she is health conscious about it....it probably isn't a huge deal....and as parents, we have to choose our battles. If DH is ok with it, that further complicates your decision. I am sure it will all work out ok, no matter what you decide. I do like Barbara's idea of telling her she can, but she has to wait a year. I really think if you get ample info on it, listen to your instincts, and take some time, you will come to a decision that all of you can live with :)
XOXO

jewljz
01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
joan - I didn't realize you were talking about the nose - that is probably equivalent to 2 ear piercings in my day. I did this on my own with a needle and ice when I was 14, my dad had a FIT! He went off on some tangent about how my body was not really MY body until I turned 18 years old! He made me take them out and let them close up... didn't stop me from re-doing it when I turned 18 and then getting a 3rd hole on one ear. I like Barbara's suggestion - tell her you'll talk about it when she's 15.

Dan - what is a 'ratio'?
Kimberly - what is a 'PK'?

cecil
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I am soo Happy it's Thursday! Bring on the Weekend! HA!

I am not doing so great with the whole weightloss thing. It's hard. I think I am doing good but I am not losing. UGH! I guess I am frustrated. And I can't believe I can't do this with such a huge reason to, MEXICO! Seriously I can't lose 10 lbs to be in MEXICO! What is wrong with me?

I hope you all have a great day! Try to do personals later!

amylou7777
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Cecil-stop focusing on mexico and set some mini goals that will lead up the the trip. Set a goal for this weekend and stick to it! Not a specific # to lose, but a food goal. Then set a goal for monday. And so on. It will all add up, it's all about staying focused. The second I "relax" on the dieting stuff, I stop losing. Even when I'm doing "pretty good"--that will only allow me to maintain. I KNOW you can lose 10lbs by Mex, but start taking it one lb at a time!

This week really has flown. I said that to DF last night and his response made me melt a little, "Time flies when you're in love" awwww. Only 9.5 months til we tie the knot! I'm getting very anxious about dress shopping. My arms are just crazy big-they are my least favorite body part and it looks like it's going to be hard to find a pretty dress that will cover them. So I keep putting off that shopping trip...

Julie-not sure where Dan said ratio or what it meant but I think Kimberly was referring to the fact that she is a "preacher's kid".

Alright so who is ready to lose this weekend?? My mom ended up cancelling her flight to come visit. My dad has become very sick with a severe kidney infection and is just not doing great so there was no way she was going to leave him. We are all bummed bc we had some fun stuff planned. It's nice when your DF actually likes your mom! The only bright side is that now I should have an easier time sticking to plan. My bro may still come down from Chico, but probably just for one night.

Ok-mini goal for today is to spread out my points. I had too many to eat last night and felt like I was stuffing my face, I ended up with 4pts to spare. I'm doing well with the carbs, so I plan to keep that up. I w/i on Tues-I would love to see 260!!

Dan2112
01-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Funny story...my stepson wanted his ear pierced and his mother took him to do it....he's 9...yeah 9 and told them what ear he wanted it in..completely unaware of the whole socially accepted idea that one of your ears pierced (I forget left or right) means you're gay...so now he wonders why kids are calling him gay...he just wanted to be cool...
Anyway...I had quite a few piercings myself...one in a quite questionable area...but they were all ways to express myself at the time...they all came out eventually and left minor scars...I find 14 a little young....but then kids are doing everything younger now

When I was a teen, it was the right ear that meant you were gay, but I didn't think that stereotype still held up today.. Interesting..

I have several co-workers, very "manly" rough and tumble types who have both ears pierced and I don't think they would react too kindly to someone suggesting they were anything but straight..

What gets me are those big fat loops kids are putting in their ear lobes these days that create the big holes.. I mean.. How do they think that looks when they try to get a serious job? Or is it that they just don't care?

Dan2112
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
joan - I didn't realize you were talking about the nose - that is probably equivalent to 2 ear piercings in my day. I did this on my own with a needle and ice when I was 14, my dad had a FIT! He went off on some tangent about how my body was not really MY body until I turned 18 years old! He made me take them out and let them close up... didn't stop me from re-doing it when I turned 18 and then getting a 3rd hole on one ear. I like Barbara's suggestion - tell her you'll talk about it when she's 15.

Dan - what is a 'ratio'?
Kimberly - what is a 'PK'?

Opps! a "ratio" is what I accidently typed on my Ipod instead of "tatoo".. That's what I get for trying to type too fast on that thing with my big ol' clumsy thumbs, without proofreading before I hit send...

cecil
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the Kick Amy! I needed it! I am just feeling defeated. Once I started maintaining I have not been able to go back to losing. I feel like I too need to switch things up and maybe go with WW? I just can't get back into the swing of things with LA?

How sweet of your DF! That is soo cute! I am sure you will find the dress of your dreams! So excited for you!

BarbaraB
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Cecil, Don't fret about what the number will be for Mexico, just eat the best you can and get in the most exercise you can manage, and you will do the best that could have been done.... Sometimes our bodies just get hung up on a number on the scale for a time. It is like they play favorites.

Laurie, I'm not on FB. I keep thinking that I should try it though. I go through phases where I just am sick to death of going to the grocery store, and other times when I don't mind so much. My DH used to think this was some sort of recreation for me. Crazy man actually said to me once, that I got to go grocery shopping so it was only right that I let him go play golf.... He implied the same thing about cleaning the house. That I was doing "my thing" and he was doing his. Somehow this did not go over too well with me.

jewljz
01-22-2009, 01:56 PM
BARBARA! that is so funny! the things that men think are "our things"! Like rearing children or house chores! They get to have fun stuff as their "things"!

sorry Dan, I'm sure you're not like the rest of them... oh, and thanks for the explanation of 'ratio'! makes sense now. I thought I was falling really behind in the lingo department.

Amy - thanks for the definition of PK - never would have figured out what that one was and was actually thinking that poor Kimberly was PG again! Kimberly better knock on wood! Especially in her predicament ;)

Kimphin
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
My DH used to think this was some sort of recreation for me. Crazy man actually said to me once, that I got to go grocery shopping so it was only right that I let him go play golf.... He implied the same thing about cleaning the house. That I was doing "my thing" and he was doing his. Somehow this did not go over too well with me.

Oh dear, does he still walk with a limp after that? Yikes.

Dan2112
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Ouch!!

Of course, for me, grocery shopping is "me time" that still accomplishes something.. LOL

bradleys mom
01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Amy - thanks for the definition of PK - never would have figured out what that one was and was actually thinking that poor Kimberly was PG again! Kimberly better knock on wood! Especially in her predicament ;)

LOL! You ain't kiddin'! If I found out I was pregnant again, I would have to be admitted to a Mental Health Facility!

Thanks Amy! lol!

(Oh, and BTW, cant get pregnant if you arent committing the "act" lol. Poor DH!)

Joni135
01-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Good chatter going on today...Joan, you'll have to let us know what you decide to do. Personally, I say she should wait a couple years to get a nose piercing...but I'm old (fashioned).

Katie - I don't think Nicole is planting anything outside yet, but starting her seedlings inside...Nicole - are you planning another big garden like you had one year???

I often buy these 100 calorie snack things that are popping up everywhere and proceed to eat 2 or 3 packs, which really defeats the purpose. I saw this comparison on some newsletter I get and it's really food for thought - some of the amounts of stuff you can eat are staggering!

Compared to less than an ounce of some kind of packaged cookie crispy thing, try these alternate most filling 100-Calorie Packs

1 cups apple slices
1 medium banana
1 cup grapes
2 cups berries
1 cups sliced peaches
1 cups orange sections
1 cups blueberries
2 cups diced watermelon
1 cup sliced pears
11/3 cup diced pineapple
1 cups raspberries
1 cup cherries
2 large kiwifruit
3 clementines
4 cups cherry tomatoes or 10 plum tomatoes or 3 large beefsteak tomatoes
1 medium baked sweet potato
1 small baked white potato
2 cups carrot strips or slices
12 cups torn lettuce
10 large broccoli spears
8 cups sliced cucumbers (this should satisfy my crunch cravings!)
of an avocado
5 cups sliced bell or sweet peppers
5 cups whole raw mushrooms
32 spears cooked asparagus
2 cups cooked green beans
80 snow or sugar snap pea pods
4 cups mixed vegetable salad (without dressing)
cup cooked grain/rice/pasta (most, bulgur is cup)
1 jumbo hard-boiled egg
20 large boiled or steamed shrimp
2 oz chicken breast meat (a little more than 2 oz)
2 oz sirloin steak (a little less than 2 oz)
cup plain fatfree yogurt
3 cups air-popped popcorn

Mama Nicole
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, Amylou....sorry your mama isn't coming this weekend, and even more sorry your dad is sick. As far as the weekend goal......for this girl.......it is to lose 0.2 lbs. That's it, that's all i need.

Kimberly.....but was is PK? And, DH will be ok.......:) I didn't have much interest post partum for a couple of months....i think it is nature's way of making sure we don't end up knocked up at our 6 week check up :) It will all change all of a sudden.....and then he is going to want a break from you and your, "needs." lol

Dan.....my DH like to grocery shop too......but he never has to take the kids with him, and he gives himself as long as he needs......so i think that makes it less of a chore for him.....oh, and he can look at and drool over large amounts of meat :)

Ok, have to run......
XOXO

amylou7777
01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
heeheehee. Poor DH-I hope that you heal up soon. For his sake!

Mama Nicole
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
oooh, good stuff, Joni.......we were posting at the same time. Not too sure about the big garden yet........have to talk to DH about it. It is hard, cuz we like to travel in the summer.........so we'll see

Holy crap.....almost 70 degrees here today. I gotta get outside ;)
XOXO

Dan2112
01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Joni.. That's a great list. The only problem is that while they are equivalent to a 100-Cal. pack of cookies, THEY AREN'T COOKIES!! :D

Nicole - That's exactly the point.. While it's "me time", I justify taking as long as I want by the fact that it's one less thing for Liz to do... I NEVER take the kids, which used to kind of wrankle Liz.. But then one time, we were out, so we all went together.. Liz quickly figured out why I never took the kids.. Their cries of "Can we get this?" and dilly dallying drove her nuts..

JerseyMadchen
01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey guys!

It's really busy in here today! Like the old days!

Nothing going on here. THe past few days have been a blur. I am at school all day then come home for less than an hour and off to rehearsals. And again tonight. I am bumming it this weekend.

My thighs are killing me today! Yesterday I did Wii Fit with Jillian Michaels. It's REALLY good exercise, but the activity on the screen is difficult. Like the motions I am doing are supposed to move the character on the screen. It's not. But I just do the motions and don't mind that my girl stands still. The day before I did a bunch of jumping jacks and squats, so that is what Iam paying for.

I have ben eatting well, not getting in all my points or activity points either. Ugh. I am just too tired. I don't get to see DH this week as they're making him work OT. UGH! It's just getting worse!!

I am getting a new scale this weekend and will WI on Monday.

Hope all is well guys!

BarbaraB
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Kim, My DH has long since been corrected in that thinking. It was long ago when I would occasionally want to go shopping without a toddler. I suppose being a SAHM like I was at the time, it was the closest thing I had to me time.

Dan, I know I minded going shopping a whole lot more if the kid was along. Let me tell you it only gets more expensive when they are in college and you take them along. Then because you do want them to eat a few nutritous things occasionally you find yourself paying 300$ at the cash register and walking out with one bag for yourself and wondering what just happened there... Of course there are those who say my DD may just be spoiled.

Joni135
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Nicole - PK = Preacher's Kid (according to someone way smarter than me!)
Dan - so right...they are not cookies...but I know I don't NEED cookies...right?
Jillian - sounds like Baby Xanthia Rose is sucking the life out of you even before she gets here.....but rest while you can! When's your next doctor appointment...maybe you need a boost in your pre-natal vitamins? But what do I know...remember, I'm kidless (well, I guess stepchildren count for something).

Okay - I really need to go do something productive...I'm hitting the gym early tomorrow morning because I was a slug today!

zambejaly5
01-22-2009, 07:58 PM
So I have put this off for a week....... not a big deal, just have been sick of dealing with it in the real world so put it off in my cyber world.

The Police Dept called. and bumped me into the second phase of employment. being the security clearance phase. ... Background check, polygraph, drug screen etc..... I have no record, I don't drink, smoke or use drugs. I have nothing to hide, and therefore have nothing to lie about in the poly.... basically, I feel there is not much of a chance to fail this phase. They will be hiring people for all the slots, about 8 or 9. (I was ranked #7 after the testing phase) by the end of feb. Police academy starts Mar 17.

But I started this process last Aug. in the mean time, not know when they would call, I obligated myself to do child care for two families. both pregnant with their first babies. I felt I could not let them down.

Plus I had to balance doing what I have always dreamed to do, but be gone nights, weekends, and holidays..... sleeping at odd hours. gone for long hours.. and not being here for my 5 kids, especially the two youngest who are only 8 and 11. or... continue to start my home day care. be my own boss. follow my own rules. (My number one rule.... I will only babysit for Teachers... I want my summers of too!) and be her for my kids, my husband. be home all day, be able to throw in laundry or make meals......

After going in last thursday to start the second phase.... I was finger printed, mug shots. put into the system...... I called them back on friday afternoon. (after several hours of thinking, talking, crying, debating) and I told them I was pulling out. They respected my decision and welcomed me back anytime I was ready...

It still makes me sad. but I feel I made the right decision. and maybe some day I will go and try again. maybe next time even rank higher than 7th. but for now. child care fits our families needs. plus. I have been taking care of kids for almost 19 years! I can do it in my sleep!! literally.

ok. done.........

bradleys mom
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Kimberly.....but was is PK?

A preacher's kid... Or in my case a pastor's kid...

Repo girl
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Ah, Lettie, that is a toughie. Sorry it has been such a heart wrencher for you. Sounds like you are comfortable with your decision though, and it is nice that they would welcome your back anytime. Good luck with your home daycare plans. I have done daycare for 9 years now. And I am still sane! Sort of......

Dan2112
01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Tough decision, Lettie. I think no matter what, when we make big choices like that, there is always a certain amount of "buyers remorse" where question if we did right.

I think you did the thing you thought you should, which was very selfless, but you questioning that choice is completely understandible. At least they said you could always pick up where you left off.

Kristinx
01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Morning everyone! Weigh in day! I am down 2 lbs since Tuesday. With the ups and downs it seems like this weight is taking forever to come off...but bottom line is. I've lost 5 lbs in 10 days. That's pretty good. Doing WW I was happy to lose 5 lbs a month! I'm gonna kick up the exercise soon though...that should get the scale moving some more

luv2clog
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Way to go Kristinx! I wish I could lose that fast! My weigh in is tomorrow...I hope I have as good luck as you! Congrats!

JLem311
01-23-2009, 09:16 AM
awesome job kristinx! :) keep it up! (our starting weight is the same and almost in height too!)

well, i have so much to do today and no ambition to get up and do it all. ugh.
i just want to rest and be lazy and do nothing. but alas, my family will be here this afternoon and i need to get stuff done. boo.
when will i get to rest???? ahhhh. i just wanna break down and cry, lock myself in my room and not come out for a few days. is that so wrong?

anyways..enough whining. gotta get going.
hope everyone has a good weekend.

Spirit2006
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
as you exercise fat turns to muscle...and muscle weighs more than fat..results are slow...but worth it

Mama Nicole
01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
WTG, Kristin!!!!

Jillian........have a cup of coffee......baby won't mind hat much :)

Lettie.......I totally get it. I think you will be happy with your decision. You remind me so much of me. Everytime I think of venturing out into the work force, my heart starts hurting........

Ok, I have to go check my FB and then get back to work.
XOXO

Dan2112
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
as you exercise fat turns to muscle...and muscle weighs more than fat..results are slow...but worth it

It depends on how you do it. If you exercise with a focus on aerobic (cardio AND weight lifting) activity rather than just heavy weight lifting, the expansion of muscle is counterbalanced by the loss of fat. So in reality, you can lose weight even faster if you adjust your diet accordingly.

If you're just working out with sedentary weight lifting, you bulk up on muscle without addressing the fat/calorie burn, which can cause weight to increase or at least, slow the weight loss.

Kristin.. When you start bumping up your exercise routine, be sure to adjust your protein and fruit intake so that you can have a very small meal immediately following your workout. The protein/carb consumption immediately afterward (and by immediately, I don't mean an hour later) will help your body continue burning fat and calories while helping it recover (so you won't feel so sore the next day)...

I found that by cooking some chicken tenders before hand and freezing them helped in that area. As soon as I got home, I popped a couple strips in the nuker and had my mini-meal ready in seconds. Try to stay away from protein shakes and bars post workout, as lean-meat proteins seem to work best (at least they did for me)...

Kristinx
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the tip Dan. I'll have to try to workout as soon as I get home as I will be working out at home (have an elliptical and some free weights) then maybe have dinner? Will that work just as well or would that be too big of a meal. I usually have 2 servings of veggies, and a protein for dinner, with an occasional starch if I feel like a small potato or something.

Hoochie
01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Took the day off the computer yesterday.....

Amylou- Thanks for the compliment. I wish I was 130. Acutally I am 161 but the black dress and the angle on the camera helped me to look thinner..hehe

Kristin- I weigh in every day without fail. It helps me to keep on track. It's the first thing I do every morning.

Nicole- Thanks for that info for my DD. I thought it was mostly her age holding me back from getting her nose pierced but after reading those links you sent me, I don't think I am going to let her do it yet. I think if I can hold off a year, I will. I can always see how she feels then. I don't think she will go behind my back adn do it. She knows the rules we live by in our house.

Cecil- I am doing the weightloss thing on my own right now too. This week has been really good for me but last week was tough. Holidays are always must incentive to lose weight but I never lose as much as I want. Maybe its because I take too many holidays. I never have time in between. My DH works for the airline so we travel tons.

Joni- Thanks for the snack list. I am printing it out and putting it on my pantry door! Maybe it will talk to me when I am going for that bag of chips!

Amy- Have fun with your Wii Fit!

I joined a step aerobics class. It starts next Tuesday. I think it will be fun. I am going with a girlfriend and neither of us are very co-ordinated so maybe we will lose weight laughing thru the class!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Joan

jewljz
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL! You ain't kiddin'! If I found out I was pregnant again, I would have to be admitted to a Mental Health Facility!

Kimberly - I know this feeling... no really I KNOW this feeling! My youngest are 5 and 6! So be careful! They are all the light of my life now, but at the time I found out (4 1/2 months into the pregnancy) I thought I would die...

Repo girl
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I have also been there and done that. My babies were born in 2000, 2001, and 2002. After the second baby I asked for an IUD, and my Dr told me no, that I was too young. After baby #3 in 3 years, he was more than happy to give me the IUD, LOL.

jewljz
01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Katie - did you ever get the "You've been busy!" comments at the grocery store? I always thought some people are so rude in the things they say!

momofthree
01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Ya. Or else they ask don't you jnow what causes that!?! I have a 2yr old, 3 yr old and a 5yr old and everyone thinks they are so funny when they ask their dumb questions. Repo girl you have got me beat. Are you busy or what with those three kidos...What was it like when they were little.. I can't imagine!!

Repo girl
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Oh, yeah, I heard a lot of that stuff. Still do, sometimes. Now that they are all a little older, it is easier in some ways, harder in others. They do laundry, clean their rooms, do dishes, shovel snow, put away the groceries, etc, which is great. However, keeping up with all 3 of them in gymnastics, my son in basketball, plus homework and daily reading gets to be exhausting. I can't believe how much is expected for them to do outside of school. My son is in 3rd grade, and his teacher wants him to read for 90 minutes per night. My daughter in 2nd has to read to me for at least 30 minutes per night, and my daughter in kindergarten has to read to me for 20 minutes per night. I'm not complaining, I do understand how important it is for them to come out of grade school being really solid readers, but man. It is a lot to keep up on.

Kimphin
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Katie - did you ever get the "You've been busy!" comments at the grocery store? I always thought some people are so rude in the things they say!

RUDE! I'd have to reply with something like - "Yeah, we've been at it like rabbits" or something cruder to shut them up!

Lettie - I am a true believer in inner feelings. When your insides start to hurt after a decision is made, you know it's a bad one. I had that last fall when I took a job an hour away from home. As the start date approached I thought my insides were rotting, and that's when I got the call about this job, 5 minutes away. Things have a tendency to work out, and I have all the faith in the world in you!

zambejaly5
01-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I hear all that stuff too, with 5. or I get are they all both of yours..... yes, or were they all planned.... well almost yes. When asked if I know what causes that I tell them "yes I do, and it is fun so we do it a lot"

zambejaly5
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Kim you snuck up on me!! lol. Yeah, I really felt relief for the most part on my decision. just tiny bit of sadness. but another thing I realized was, when I would picture my self as a cop, I only saw myself when I picture the babysitting I see the whole family, and that is as it should be.

Kimphin
01-23-2009, 01:17 PM
What if you just dressed up like a cop for DH? That may take care of the issue from the other thread!

BarbaraB
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Joan, Be sure to tell your daughter all about your concerns for her health and safety and for the prettiness of her nose. I found that teens react a lot better to concerns for their safety than just a list of rules. Of course my own daughter was a hugely rebellious teen. Most kids are not quite so determined to get around any rules that they don't like.

Lettie, Perhaps you are just putting off the police department for a time. I can imagine that your life will feel a lot different in a few years. Eventually even people with 5 kids have them all grow up.

Julie, I would have never thought that they meant it THAT way, just that you've been busy with kids.... of course sometimes I don't get dirty jokes either. It could be just some nit wit like me just trying to commiserate with you for having your hands full.....

Mama Nicole
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
What if you just dressed up like a cop for DH? That may take care of the issue from the other thread!
lol......Kim, you crck me up!!!!!

I get the, "are they all both of yours," and I politely smile and say yes, as DH adopted the girls when we got married, and other adopted children are not questioned like step parent adopted kids. So weird. Anyway, I find sometimes people are very judgemental about my family size, but I really don't take offense. They don't know what I know.......I have a joyous life :)

I don't want to clean the rest of my house.................

jewljz
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Barbara - maybe you're right... I guess I always felt guilty because it was absolutely not planned!

Nicole - I have the cleaning lady over today :) Then again, I could be jealous of you because I'm stuck here at work until 5pm while you get to work in the comfort of your home...

zambejaly5
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Dont encourage him! He already told me to look online for an outfit! But I told him that was completely the wrong mindset for me. Some how dealing with a drunk, someone on drugs. someone who is combative, who just beat their wife, and I would have to put him in cuffs as he resisted.... doesn't get me excited that way, lol!! but I could see how it would work for him!!

Repo girl
01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Maybe you could just beat him with a nightstick a little bit? :D

zambejaly5
01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Maybe you could just beat him with a nightstick a little bit? :D

Now your talkin'!

I might need to pick your brain some, sometime.... I have watched kids on and off through the years. but this will be the first time I do it without any of my own under foot. and doing it purely to start my own business. not just to make a little extra cash. knowing that, I have done it completely different this time. but I would love to hear all about what you are doing, how many kids? what your day runs like? how you charge? any tips to keep things running smooth... what ever you can think of. you can PM me that junk if you feel like it, thanks!!

Heather5
01-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Good Morning!
I have been out of the loop this week! I am up bright and early this morning, so I am going to try and get some work done before I go to the gym. Today is a 90 minute spinning class listening to Tina Turner. I like Tina Turner, but I am not sure I can handle 90 minutes. I think I am going to bring my ipod, so I have something else to listen to if I can't take Tina anymore.

Have a great Saturnday! I will check in later when I need a break from work!

Heather

Joni135
01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Great start to my rainy Georgia day! Hit the gym for a 45 min spin class then stayed and did Body Pump for an hour. I feel really good right now and have a ton of housework ahead of me...so no rest for me today.

Dan (or anyone more knowledgeable than me)....what is the BEST thing to eat before a workout like above - cardio and weights - and then what is the BEST thing to eat afterwards. Dan, I read a post of yours that said we shouldn't eat those power bars. Why is that?

JerseyMadchen
01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey guys!

Not much going on here today. Am feeling kind of crappy. Can't describe it, but I don't like it. I went out for a walk/run and only made it .5miles. THen again, it's freezing outside and me being a genious decided to run down by the river. The wind was killer. I came home to try Jillian out on Wii and was just not in the mood to do it. I'll blame it on TOM in a week.

I cannot wait to see DH tonight. This is the first Saturday I haven't seen him in the 2 years we have been together. I was going to make something special for dinner, but since I am feeling subpar I will be warming up a Smart One.

Have a great weekend! Keep warm!

Mama Nicole
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Jersey Amy.........you are describing all the symptoms of love sick. YIt happens to me a lot, as DH travels quite often. You will feel completely better later tongiht :)
XOXO

Heather5
01-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Good Morning!
It is sunny here in Rochester, NY which does not happen very often during the winter months! My goal for today is to get on the treadmill and walk/run 3 - 5 miles today! I just haven't decided if I want to do it at my house or go to the gym. The thought of going outside in the cold does not sound like fun right now. Then I am going to clean the house and get it ready for Super Bowl Sunday! I invited some friends over for the super bowl and I know that I have a very busy week ahead, so I am going to try and get some cleaning done today rather than save it all for next weekend.

JerseyMadchen-- I am sorry to hear that you are feeling off. I hope your reunion with your husband was a happy one and lifted your spirits!

Joni-- I think my BF has a banana and oatmeal everyday before he goes to the gym. If he is doing weights, then he has Protien drink (EAS light) when he is done. On his cardio days, I don't think he has the protein drink. Usually he goes to the gym late enough in the morning that when he gets done it is time for lunch anyway! He is at the gym for 2 hours almost everyday. He is a realtor, so he has a very flexible schedule! I wish I did!

Have a great rest of the day everyone!

Dan2112
01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Joni, for the simple reason that natural is better... We always talk about avoiding processed foods, and the same holds true for the power bars.. (why it doesn't count for "lites", i have no idea.. :D)

As for pre-workout, some carbs help give you some energy.. Before I hit the road for an extended bike ride, I have a serving (ok, maybe a little more) of whole grain pasta... Not immediately before, mind you, because I don't want to lose it (if you know what I mean).. Immediately before, I'd eat an orange..

You could ask your spin class instructor as well.. I've never done a spin class, so I'm not sure exactly how it would differ from a bike ride....

Great start to my rainy Georgia day! Hit the gym for a 45 min spin class then stayed and did Body Pump for an hour. I feel really good right now and have a ton of housework ahead of me...so no rest for me today.

Dan (or anyone more knowledgeable than me)....what is the BEST thing to eat before a workout like above - cardio and weights - and then what is the BEST thing to eat afterwards. Dan, I read a post of yours that said we shouldn't eat those power bars. Why is that?

bradleys mom
01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Okay, someone smack me! :stars: or kick me ! :kickbutt: The recreation center here in my town just started a spin class this year. They have like 15 classes or more per week, I am too chicken to go for fear that I will be the biggest person there. I dont wanna get embarassed. The bikes are open for use between classes, so I have considered that, but I dont think it would be as beneficial as doing it in a class!

bradleys mom
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Joni, I was told about this article by a co-worker yesterday....

When it's time to choose a liquid chug after a long, tough workout, there's a slew of options out there. Water? Gatorade, POWERade, or All Sport? Endurox R4? Physiologist Joel Stager, director of the Human Performance laboratory at Indiana University, has even one more potential workout recovery drink to add to the list: chocolate milk. His latest study, published in this month's International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, names this kids' favorite an optimal post-exercise recovery aid.

Before your stomach recoils, take a look at chocolate milk's ingredient list. For a high-endurance athlete, Stager's team sees it as a catch-all workout recovery drink. Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.

Drinking plain water after exercise replaces sweat losses -- and that's it. "Chocolate milk provides carbohydrate replenishment to your muscles -- something they can metabolize," said Jason Karp, MS, another researcher for this study. "There's nothing to metabolize in water."

Stager's assessment of chocolate milk is even simpler. "It's water plus a whole lot more," he said.

I didn't have chocolate milk just now so I had 8 ounces of skim milk and a sugar free Jell-O Dark Chocolate Pudding!

Joni135
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the pre and post workout tips.....I think I may have to play with the carbs before a workout to see how well it sits with me.....and if chocolate milk is a good post workout, I wonder if SlimFast isn't such a bad option. I'll ask some of the folks at the gym too....the ones that have great bodies and look a bit older than 21!! :-)

KIMBERLY - Give the spin class a try. Believe me, no one is looking at you. They are focused on the instructor and too busy wiping sweat off their brow! Couple tips as a first timer...Sit in the back (last row of bikes) of the room if it will put you at ease; that way, you will be the one watching everyone else; go there early your first time and grab the instructor and ask him/her how to set up the bike (seat level, handle bar level, etc.). That is very important. Also, make sure you have plenty of padding for your arse, otherwise you will be sore. If you don't have a pair of bike shorts (and who does if they aren't an avid bike rider??), wear a couple pair of shorts your first time. Try your hardest to stick out the entire class. Our class runs 45 minutes with about 10 minutes of cool down and stretching at the end (so 35 minutes of bike riding). You will burn approx 400 calories (if not more). It took me about five classes before I could honestly say I liked the class. There are still times I cannot keep up with the class or I am breathless and have to ease back and catch my breath...that is okay too. The first time I went, I walked out after about 20 minutes because I thought the whole class was going to be too intense; you have some minutes of intense riding and then you have recovery rides. Hang in there and try it; schedule three days that you will go and just do it...no matter what!

Amy - I bought the Wii at Walmart the other day...it's still in the box. I'm not sure I'm going to like it as a fitness tool. My aunt has one and says she likes the games best....I'm debating returning it?????

Hope everyone had a good weekend.....Man, they just go too fast!

Dan2112
01-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Kimberly.. Good call on the chocolate milk.. I don't much like milk of any kind unless It's in cereal or I'm eating cookies (not that I do very often anymore), so it slipped my mind.

Many of my bicyclist friends chug choco-milk after their intense rides.

Kristinx
01-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a good weekend.
So I just worked out on the elliptical and grabbed a bit of chicken afterwards as per Dan's advice on protein after a workout. Grabbed some yummy raspberries too! Anyway...
To save time and money I buy boxes of frozen chicken breasts from M&M meat Shops (not sure if any of you know of those stores) and was looking at the nutrition info. Each breast has about 680 mg of sodium! That seems pretty high for a chicken breast doesn't it? I never would have expected it to have that much sodium so am a little shocked...what do you guys think?

JerseyMadchen
01-25-2009, 08:50 PM
THe salt is probably a preservative... I would get the boneless skinless and cook them up yourself.

My sister in law told me how to cook them up to make them really good. Basically just spray the pan and cook lightly on each side. Add garlic and chicken stock and poach. The chicken is SO juicy!!!

Kristinx
01-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah maybe that is it...cause they are boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Just frozen, cook them like regular chicken breasts...I'll have to shop around and see what I can find..