Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Maintenance for the Biggest Losers

As a fan of the show, I read this site with interest. I realize that the contestants may get down WAY low for the finale, but it's kind of surprising that only 2 people seemed to have stuck at their finale weights.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28239000...Y_BLoser_WATN2

It is positive that most of the people profiled for that article say they have made significant changes for their health. Not sure if their weight on the scales backs up their stories!

Last edited by Glory87; 01-18-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #2  

Found a link of Eric the winner of Season 3 on the Oprah show. He has gained back 100+ lbs.

http://images.oprah.com/images/tows/...01_350x263.jpg

Related story:

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blo...ck-122-pounds/

Last edited by Glory87; 01-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I saw that episode. I'm not surprised that TBL contestants don't make great maintainers.

I think that it's kind of a microcosm of how this country approaches dieting and weightloss. Going balls to the wall to get the weight off, going to extremes for the big finale followed by going back to the "real world" where you're no longer surrounded by people who are eating and working out like you are.

I love TBL and how inspirational it is, but I'm always frustrated at the lack of discussion about what happens when the weight is actually gone.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #4  

I agree completely!

For most of us, we had practice from day 1 dealing with helpful coworkers who bring in bagels and cream cheese and then HOUND YOU to take some (as an example). Those real world experiences and tactics are priceless!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I saw Brittany in the audience at last season's finale, and she looked like she was the same size she was when she first started losing weight. It made me really sad, actually.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

So I just read through all the profiles on the msnbc link... did they all have to become motivational speakers? My goodness!

Also, I still think Matt and Suzy are off the charts adorable!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I wish that a show that focused more on maintenance could be HALF as popular!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I know these people lost their weight in a crazy, unique RIDICULOUS setting, but it still upsets me to hear how they've gained back so much weight. Upsetting, but sadly, not so surprising. We here are all "working maintenance" every single day.

Kinda reminds me how I used to wish that I could just wake up one day and be a normal weight. I told myself if that could only be that I would NEVER allow myself to get so heavy again. But honestly, what would have prevented that? Had I just "woken up thin" one day, would I have had a clue as to how to KEEP that weight off? Probably not. Make that DEFINITELY NOT. The weight loss process itself is so incredibly valuable.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #9  
Meg

Robin, I used to lie in bed and pray that the Thin Fairy would come visit me during the night and poof, I'd wake up thin. What would I have done to celebrate? Probably had a bag of Oreos. In other words, Robin is right (of course!) We have to live it in order to learn it. And maintenance is a skill that we have to keep practicing and refining every day for the rest of our lives if we want to keep the weight off.

It's sad about all the BL weight regain but it doesn't surprise me. We all know the abysmal statistics about regain after weight loss. No one knows for sure, but we see numbers up to 95% of people who lose weight put it all back on. Regardless of what the actual numbers are, we maintainers are definitely a minority.

One thing that I think separates us from regainers is our group support here. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go out in the world and try to keep 122 pounds off without having a peer group of people who are living maintenance every day too. We're not like normal weight people who have never been overweight and we're not like overweight or obese people any more. So where do we fit? Here!

If the BL losers joined here with us, I'd like to think they would have had far more success keeping the weight off. As it was, they were sent out in the world with no preparation or group support. Regain was almost inevitable.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
As a fan of the show, I read this site with interest. I realize that the contestants may get down WAY low for the finale, but it's kind of surprising that only 2 people seemed to have stuck at their finale weights.

!
This is not at all surprising to me. In fact this is why I don't watch the show. It's too extreme. And then the people get dumped back into their original environments w/o being taught coping skills.

To me, it is like taking a drug addict into rehab w/o providing after care.

Last edited by kittycat40; 01-19-2009 at 08:20 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I can't watch the show for the same reason. I don't think it's inspirational at all -- IMO it's selling a lie to the viewers. First of all, the way they lose weight is so incredibly extreme that it's unsafe to attempt without being under the supervision of doctors and trainers. Second of all, they don't focus on maintenance at all. It's like, lose as much weight as fast as you can, and then, poof, you're "done." No wonder people gain the weight back.

Also it makes me angry that on that show if someone loses, say, one pound in a week, it's a failure. Seriously? Don't you think that people who are working a slow weight loss at home get disappointed, even maybe give up, because they don't lose as fast as the people on TV?

Okay, enough ranting. Sorry guys.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We see evidence of what Jessica said ...

Also it makes me angry that on that show if someone loses, say, one pound in a week, it's a failure. Seriously?

... here at 3FC almost every day. There are far too many folks who think they're doing something wrong because they only lost a pound or two last week or two.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

I have not posted in quite a long time, but feel the need to comment.

I look at the people on TBL and think they personify the thoughts of people with a lot of weight to lose (myself included). If I can just go to a place where the world is perfect and I have all these people to tell me exactly how when why and for how long. Then I can do it. If I have the whole world watching me then I have to do it. They literly have all the "motivation" you could possible have! And much to their dissapointment (and mine) it doesn't work when they leave and go back to what ever is their real life.

TBL shows that the american dream of weighloss does not work for weight maintenence. Yes, with all the ways you see on tv or the internet or your neighbor's way you can lose weight, but it doesn't mean you can maintain it. Just like I can make $ in all sorts of ways, doesn't mean I get to keep it. I could rob a bank and get $, what then? Same with weightloss, I lost weight doing xyz, now what?

We as a weighloss society give a quick "drive through" version of how to lose weight and then say "and they lived happily ever after" Really? How did they do it? Did anyone even check to see if they did? These are the questions that most don't even ask! We (as a society) really are confused as to why we can't go back to how we lived our old lives yet maintain our new ones!

Society forget to teach Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Weather you are a Bible believer or not, society is not teaching the right ways, but we are still believing it. Why?
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #14  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly06 View Post

TBL shows that the american dream of weighloss does not work for weight maintenence.
Jelly, you summed it all up in your one perfect line. That's it, in a nutshell.

Good to see you again!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The American dream of weight loss. Meg's Thin Fairy. My wishing to wake up thin.

You can't dream it away. You can't wish it away. Luckily, you can work it away.

Just like that great quote I once read. "Success: Don't wish for it. Work for it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote