Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Considering Pure Foods and Need Input

Ok....I tried Nutrisystem for 5 days and failed. I simply cannot tolerate the system food.

Will those of you on Pure Foods give me your input? The website does not give enough information. What is the calorie range per day. Could I make it be way too high by changing their menu and choosing all high meals or are they all substantially the same.

I don't see any milk so I'm assuming I need to add 2-3 dairies daily. I'm looking for healthy grain and oil and low glycemic. If it's good, my diabetic husband might join me.

Thanks!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #2  

I am with you..Nutrisystem food was just beyond awful to me. I have never heard of Pure foods?? will look it up..but I did do Jenny Craig a few yrs. back and thought the food was really good. It is a great plan for teaching structure also.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #3  

Hey Vickie,

I couldn't do Nutrisystems either. I wanted to love that program because it is so cheap, but I tried some of the food and said no way....ugh ugh. Not only that but I did not want to load up on all that stuff that keeps those foods shelf stable. It wasn't for me.

Here's my input for what it's worth (and I am not afraid to give it to you straight because after all every program has it's high points and low points so being honest, should not be seen an anything but helpful). I was on Pure Foods for a couple of weeks (had to go off this week for a family emergency and am out of town in fact). I'm not going to restart it when I get back. I am very eager to try Diet To Go instead because I have now gotten input from several people who have said the food is even better and cheaper over there. The menu's look amazing and the price is much better! I am going to do the Low Carb because I have heard that you can lose even more by doing that plan and the menu plan for the low carb is wonderful! The only thing is that if you choose that one, it only saves you maybe $40.00 a month over Pure Foods however if you do the more popular Diet To Go Low Fat that has amazing food as well, you pay $200.00 less per month than Pure Foods.

I had spent days upon days researching until my head hurt and finally decided on Pure Foods to start. I just don't see the point in going back now that I see that Diet To Go has a plan with all kinds of wonderful food that will only cost me $125.00 a week with shipping for the regular low fat plan (or spending more for the low carb which I will be doing, but may mix it up and do the low fat later to save money and lose more if my body gets used to things). I don't know why, but for some reason I never came across the Diet To Go when I was doing my research and was sorry to find out about it after the fact! I've yet to hear anyone say the food was anything but delicious and the price is right! One girl out here lost 7 pounds her first week so I am eager to use this plan for MANY reasons!

I will tell you that the food is delicious at Pure Foods. It was fresh, tasty and easy to order. The people are very nice and I had no problems with my orders. The chicken they use is delicious however many of their chicken dishes all taste the same to me (and that's mainly what they have). They use very high quality chicken, but dish after dish had that same theme and taste to it for some reason. The breakfasts are delicious, but the cookies are awful (they are truly dreadful)! Usually desserts and such are great on most programs (nobody beats Jenny Craig in that department), but these cookies are almost bizarre in how bad they are. The brownies are nice and of course the chocolate squares can't be beat (though you can buy those at any grocery store because they are Hershey's Extra Dark).

All in all the food is good but to be honest, I didn't really lose much on the plan for the two weeks I was on (and I stuck to it). It wasn't bad but I only lost maybe 1 pound per week (with JC I lost like 4 pounds a week but I could not face that same food again). The calories are about 1200 per day though it can vary slightly. You do add a little milk if you want other than that, they provide you with everything.

For the Diet To Go, you provide your own snacks but actually those are not expensive because we're talking a piece of fruit, a little milk and maybe some string cheese around the house in case you plummet a bit. You can buy a box of chocolate squares to have a little treat and a box can last you two weeks. To me spending $500.00 a month for fresh food is much more appealing than these $700.00 and $800.00 a month plans (also most of the snacks I can't have because they are made with Soy and I have thyroid issues so they want you to avoid Soy as much as possible).

In any event that's been my journey so far. I am very excited about trying Diet To Go when I get back and if per chance it lets me down, I can simply re-sign with Pure Foods or Deliciously Yours which I heard did finally get their act together again (the food is made by the same people who make Pure Foods and Deliciously Yours is cheaper). It's nice that we have this many options now for meal delivery! Used to be just Nutrisystems or JC and that was it! Good luck to you! Hope that helps though I am sure others will share their perspectives as well.
PrincessDietMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #4  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, Vickie. I've been doing Pure Foods Fresh Start for about 9 months now and have lost 55 pounds. I lost 7 pounds my first week, but that could also be because I had a lot to lose.

Like many of the home delivery programs, they offer real food with real flavor! The food is very healthy, based on the glycemic index to help you keep your blood sugar levels stable. They also use healthy oils in their food, which I appreciate. My skin and hair have never looked better.

I agree with Princess about the cookies; I never get them anymore. I alternate between chocolate squares and brownies. I found I couldn't have a brownie every night and lose weight, though, so I only have them 2-3 times a week now. I also mix it up between the chicken, beef, fish, turkey, and vegetarian meals to keep it interesting. They do offer a lot of vegetarian options, which is nice. I find I lose better when I eat some of them as well.

They do provide yogurt with some of their meals, but you provide milk. I also add a yogurt every day.

Some menu items are higher in calories than others, but not substantially so. If you just go for variety, you should be fine.

If you decide to try them, I would suggest letting them automatically pick your menu for you initially. That way you can try everything they make and see what you like or don't like.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by LaurenH; 01-18-2009 at 05:19 PM.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Vickie. The calorie range for Pure Foods Fresh Start is around 1000-1200, tops, even if you choose higher-cal selections. I would say in general it's pretty low in sugar and they do use quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat.

Good luck with your decision and with whatever you decide!
noodlebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

Well, I've been on JC for 9 weeks and have only lost 15.4 pounds. The high carbs seem to be a problem for me. I have 150 more pounds to lose and am currently on 1700-1800 with JC. I guess I could supplement with more dairy/fruit?

I'm VERY interested in the low glycemic whole grain aspect. I was VERY successful on WW Core but stopped cooking and ate way too big of portions.

I may be trying Pure Foods Fresh Starts. Is anyone still on it?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

I'm still on it! Coming up on my one-year anniversary, in fact. I still love it. I've lost almost 66 pounds on it now. It's a healthy program, with a good balance of carbs, proteins, and fats. The food is fresh, and I'm still not tired of it. Very few glitches, and great customer service (via phone, not email).

I do supplement it with additional fruits, veggies, and yogurt. Recently I've had to cut back on the supplementals, as my weight loss has slowed to about 3 pounds/month. Overall, though, my average for the year has been something like 1.25 pounds/week. That's outstanding for me; I'm a slow loser!

Good luck, whatever you do. I know it's tough.

Last edited by LaurenH; 03-26-2009 at 06:36 PM.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #8  
klc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenH View Post
I'm still on it! Coming up on my one-year anniversary, in fact. I still love it. I've lost almost 66 pounds on it now. It's a healthy program, with a good balance of carbs, proteins, and fats. The food is fresh, and I'm still not tired of it. Very few glitches, and great customer service (via phone, not email).
Had to jump in here. Started out with eDiets this time last year, changed over to PFFS after 3 months (both programs supplied by PurFoods). In Sept, changed to another program, but now coming back to eDiets. I haven't set any speed records with losing weight, but also haven't felt like I've been on a diet or been deprived. Also, my best weight loss was on the eDiets/PFFS phase. You're right about PFFS customer service. They're excellent...please tell Craig I said 'hi'. After being on both last year, I was one of the weird people that actually preferred eDiet's foods rather than PFFS foods (except for the fritatta...that thing was killer...oh yeah, and the spaghetti squash). I don't know about any changes in portions on PFFS, but I do know that the portion sizes on the ediets food are alot smaller than they were a year ago (especially dinners).
klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

I read....somewhere....on someone's review that there were a lot of food spoilage problems with PFFS. Have any of you experienced this? I have a HUGE fear of eating bad food. My nose isn't as sharp as it should be although my eyes are good.

At least with Jenny Craig I know I can carry the bad food back to my Center. And, of course, there hasn't been any spoiled food there.