General chatter - Bodybug!!

View Full Version : Bodybug!!

baileycleo
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Have you guys seen this little arm thingy the contestants on The Biggest Loser are wearing all the time? I know they use it to count every single move they make weather it's cleaning up the kitchen or doing stuff on the tread mill. It's suppopsed to count all the calories they burn every day or something crazy like that. I can't figure out where to get one of those lil suckers or if they're even available to the public. I haven't heard it mentioned on the show. Has anyone else? I watch that show every Tues. night and I swear you think they would have said SOMETHING. Did I miss it? Has anyone else been watching and maybe heard where I might have missed the info? Hit me back if you have info or you're a BL fan. I love to talk to people about it every week. Thanks!!

cbmare
01-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't watch the show but I found this. It's expensive!

http://news.spreadit.org/body-bug-calorie-counter/

AmberE
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Have you guys seen this little arm thingy the contestants on The Biggest Loser are wearing all the time? I know they use it to count every single move they make weather it's cleaning up the kitchen or doing stuff on the tread mill. It's suppopsed to count all the calories they burn every day or something crazy like that. I can't figure out where to get one of those lil suckers or if they're even available to the public. I haven't heard it mentioned on the show. Has anyone else? I watch that show every Tues. night and I swear you think they would have said SOMETHING. Did I miss it? Has anyone else been watching and maybe heard where I might have missed the info? Hit me back if you have info or you're a BL fan. I love to talk to people about it every week. Thanks!!

I think it's called a bodybugg. I have seen someone talk about it a month ago on here. They seem pretty cool, they are expensive but you can buy them used on ebay.

blanna
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Toward the end of the last season they actually did mention it. (One of their clever giant product plugs). They are in fact expensive. I have a coworker that sports one, says she likes it, but didn't seem too enthused.

tamaralynn
01-16-2009, 08:06 PM
They probably call it the bodybugg because it BUGS the heck out of you when you wear it 24/7

mandalinn82
01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I wear a Polar HRM 24/7, and it was far cheaper than a bodybugg, but does the heart rate/calorie count tracking also. I was listening to the Jillian Michaels radio show, and she stated she preferred to polar monitors to the Bodybuggs, so that's what I got. It works really well, and I can say that it is a great motivational tool. Nothing will push you harder on a workout than seeing the calories burned climb.

cbmare
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
May I ask how much the Polar was?

Where is Jillian's radio show?

Idealmuse
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
They are expensive but not THAT expensive they have come down in price recently. 24hourfitness.com has a special right now at 249 for the bodybugg and watch display with 6 month free membership for $249.

They did mention it on the biggest loser this year I think it was during the first episode.

I've been using mine for a week and lost 5lbs this week. Woot! Love it so far...

mandalinn82
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
My Polar cost me 80 dollars or so on Amazon. It's also a chest strap, so it can be hidden more easily than an arm band, which is important since I'm wearing mine all of the time.

Jillian has a Sunday morning radio show on KFI, a talk station in LA. You can google it and download episodes as a podcast, too.

Jeannette311
01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
My Polar cost me 80 dollars or so on Amazon. It's also a chest strap, so it can be hidden more easily than an arm band, which is important since I'm wearing mine all of the time.

Jillian has a Sunday morning radio show on KFI, a talk station in LA. You can google it and download episodes as a podcast, too.

Which one did you buy?

Am I looking in the right place?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=51212011&tag=wwwpolarusa00-20

mandalinn82
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I have this one, a Polar F4. And yes, mine is the red/pink color (but they come in other colors!)

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000WPHR40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1232159602&sr=1-1

Jeannette311
01-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I have this one, a Polar F4. And yes, mine is the red/pink color (but they come in other colors!)

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000WPHR40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1232159602&sr=1-1

Thanks, mandalinn! That's a really cute one! Not something that I would worry about hiding! So does it tell you how many calories you burn all day or just during workouts?

mandalinn82
01-17-2009, 12:17 AM
If you wear it all day long, it'll track your calories all day long. You just keep the chest strap on, and it ticks away and counts your calories up. I even sleep in it (to get those Resting Metabolic Rate calories!)

Idealmuse
01-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Manda -

I had always heard that HRMs weren't so accurate for lower HR calculations.... Has this perception changed? (I'm not being a smart *** BTW I'm seriously curious.)

What did Jillian say about why she preferred the HRM? I know the older model bodybuggs weren't as good at picking up stationary exercises like biking, but the new v3 version seems to do better with this.

Do you remember what episode she talked bout the 2?

Thanks! :)

cbmare
01-17-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm sorry if I started hijacking this thread by asking Manda about her HRM. However, I'm really glad it was started. Now I know what I need to start hinting for.

kittycat40
01-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I am really curious about the resting hrm counted calories too. I have also heard the hrm is less accurate for finding bmr and more accurate for intense energy expenditure.
Actually, I did have my bmr tested when I was 21 but I fell asleep and had nightmares while the test was being done so I never really trusted the results. AND-- that was almost 18 years ago :eek:

If anyone has a study or evidence that hrms are good for resting calorie counting I'd love the reference. Right now-- going to google....;)

LookingForMeAgain
01-17-2009, 10:13 AM
How big is the chest strap? Is it gonna fit someone as large as me? Sounds silly to ask BUT considering the biggest loser sells tshirts and they only go to a 3x its not that silly!

Jeannette311
01-17-2009, 10:25 AM
If you wear it all day long, it'll track your calories all day long. You just keep the chest strap on, and it ticks away and counts your calories up. I even sleep in it (to get those Resting Metabolic Rate calories!)
Thanks!!! I've been looking into getting a <3 rate monitor but was completely confused by all the models and what they did, etc. Your posts have really helped me!

lovelandtx
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I did wear the HRM for 24 hrs to see how many calories I was burning throughout the day. It seemed pretty low as it didn't really record my increase in heart rate from just walking. I did some research on what could the reason be for that. I guess I read that HRM are really meant for tracking your heart rate during moderate activity. And they're really about 80% accurate during activity.
So, then I went back to the Bodybugg and looking at the technology and whether it works or not. I read several white papers and the research showed different calorie monitors and their accuracy. I can't post a link yet but you can find on the internet.
I decided on the Sensewear (maker of the Bodybugg) and have had it since November. I continue to use the Polar F4 pink HRM during my training and compare it's calculations to the one's provided by the Sensewear unit. Depending on the activity, they compare relatively well. The lacking algorithms on the Sensewear is on the Elliptical trainer, I haven't tried the bike yet.
I use the Sensewear unit to ensure I get enough activty in during the week as I have a desk job and that's killing my metabolism. (I originally got the Sensewear to monitor my activity over the weekend because I was worried I wasn't getting enough activity on the weekends because I tended not to work out and take care of the boys (2 & 3-1/2)) Boy I was wrong about that! I'm way more active on the weekends and end up having to get a workout at least 500 calories a day during the week just to stay on track!!!
Overall, I think both are good tools to help you depending on what your goals are....I will continue to use both for my training!
Good Luck!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

FB
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
How big is the chest strap? Is it gonna fit someone as large as me? Sounds silly to ask BUT considering the biggest loser sells tshirts and they only go to a 3x its not that silly!

The chest strap is very generous - I never had a problem with mine at the higher end of my weight range. It's made of a wide elastic band that is adjustable and has quite a bit of 'give'. My big husband has worn mine without discomfort.

I wear mine sort of under my bra... if that helps you envision where it's placed.

Idealmuse
01-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I have an older model polar too and the chest strap fit me at 300lbs.

I need to either get a new battery for my watch portion, or a new HRM which is why I was asking about the RHR accuracy. Didn't know if some models were better for wearing 24/7. I've only ever worn mine during exercise. I may just hold out and wait to get a Garmin 305 so I can track my running information with the HRM if I'm not going to wear it all the time anyway.

But yeah I like how the bodybugg is encouraging me to be overall active throughout the entire day. For me that was worth the price alone. You can set a "moderately active" goal and it lets you know when you've hit it. I have mine set for 2 hours. So I exercise for about an hour and try to get an extra hour in just cleaning or walking around. The built in pedometer helps too with just being another indicator of how much I'm moving around.

Otherwise you can roughly figure out the same information on your own with out the bugg using online calculators... balancing your deficit by recording your activity and comparing it with an online food log. I used myfoodiary.com to do this for the first part of my weight loss journey.

The Bugg has totally been worth it so far though!

lovelandtx
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I've had to send in my HRM for repair at least once a year. My HRM reads funny or loses the heart rate during exercise is when I first notice a problem. All the times I've sent it in, they've replaced the electrodes (band around your chest) as they've been cracked. I got a backup HRM just so I wouldn't have to be without it during the 2 weeks for repair! (And it had the same problem in only 6 months, oh well.) Be sure to keep all your receipt information! I heard that maybe there were other HRM's that were maybe more accurate than the Polar....not sure though.
Keep up the good work! :carrot::carrot::carrot: Liz

mandalinn82
01-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Well, my HRM seems to keep pretty good track of my heart rate. I've taken it manually by counting when it's reporting ranges of 55-85, and it seems to match pretty exactly to the display. So it seems to be pretty accurate, for me.

I know Jillian had concerns about the bodybugg catching those stationary exercise calories (spinning, etc), and liked that the Polar was less expensive. I've been happy with mine, so far.